[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How closely should one use the rules as a DM? I'm reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 2218367-time_travel.jpg (83KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
2218367-time_travel.jpg
83KB, 520x390px
How closely should one use the rules as a DM? I'm reading through D&D Cyclopedia and I've been wondering this for when I DM with some friends.
>>
>>47521146
Oh shit, are you using Rules Cyclopedia? That's fucking awesome. Earlier D&D rules have often been "use it if you need it" so you're free to make up plenty of rules.
>>
>>47521146
start off as beholden to the rules as possible, with only the most agregious offenders cut out, and then develop the version of DnD you wanna play with the group during play. Generally, only unanimous decisions should be pushed through.

Once you're more experienced though, it's all fair game
>>
It varies.
>>
"rulings not rules"
>>
>>47521146
It's really simple. Do you have drama queens or autistic fucks at your table?

If you have queens, only the rule of cool matters. They just want to be masturbated and let to enjoy the afterglow. Numbers don't matter for that.

If you have autistic fucks, every rule matters. Each time you stray you break their tiny little minds and ruin their world.

I personally find it hilarious, but not many people are quite so jaded and tired of prissy fucks that expect everything given to them and then whine about the taste.
>>
>>47521163
Absolutely this. Same rule applies to cooking.
>>
>>47521146
Not much, really. If the entire table feels that a rule results in stupid things, you're better off without it. Same goes for combat - if you and your players start to get bored slogging through an encounter, end the battle in any way you feel fit instead of grimly playing it to the last mook and HP.
>>
>>47521269
'rulings not rules' is a dumb excuse for a bad ruleset.
Good rulesets, or even half-decent rulesets, will have enough rules for general cases that you never need to make a 'ruling'.
>>
Use them exactly to ensure all players are on an even field with each other and the challenges.

Rules are there to make it so no one is getting anything they shouldn't, nor not getting anything they should.
>>
Most rpgs tell you in the first pages not to follow the rules too blindly.

The sessions should make sense, be enjoyable to the players AND the GM. If some rules prevent that, cut them out or modify them.

If a player wants to do soemthing that isn't in the rules, but is in the tone of the adventure your doing, you sould allow it an/or make up a rule on the fly using your rpg's engine as a basis. You can always tweak that rule later on if it gets used enough times.
>>
>>47521146
>use the rules

The players usually know the rules, too, and will expect you to abide by them. If you aren't going to do that, your players deserve to know that going in - and also your reasons why.

That's it, really.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.