[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would follow in a setting if magic had become commonplace,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1454551102606.jpg (359KB, 933x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1454551102606.jpg
359KB, 933x1352px
What would follow in a setting if magic had become commonplace, and every commoner knew at least some magic? Cantrips like Mending, Message or Mage Hand could be invaluable for day to day living, and many other spells such as Enlarge Person, or Animate Rope could be useful to other professions such as construction and sailing. This becomes even more useful if you get away from the typical D&D spells which are only designed for use for adventurers, and start thinking about spells that would be useful for everyday work.
>>
>>47487835
Isn't that the context of eberron?
>>
>>47490118
Never heard of it.
>>
File: S is for Skeleton.jpg (251KB, 1270x504px) Image search: [Google]
S is for Skeleton.jpg
251KB, 1270x504px
>>
File: Halruuan skyship.jpg (115KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
Halruuan skyship.jpg
115KB, 400x550px
>>47487835
They do this in some countries in the Forgotten Realms.

>http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Halruaa
>>
>>47487835
>Cantrips like Mending, Message or Mage Hand

I read 'Message' as 'Massage' and promptly thought of how those three cantrips would make for some very popular red-light districts.
>>
>>47487835
Yo, that wizard's swole af senpai!
>>
>>47487835
You'd have the default setting for Runequest.
>>
>>47497415
I put on my wizard robe and hat.
>>
>>47487835
Whatever is the most sensible and practical way of making money of your magical abilities is what inevitably ends up happening.

The problem with D&D type settings is that the "logical" adventuring party are on a specific mission or down on their luck and desperate, so they do something crazy in order to make it big or die trying. When the dust is cleared, they are either set, or they're dead.

But in D&D it's basically "lets do crazy stupid shit like it's our day job and we need to clock in at the dungeon" which leaves you with a bunch of extraordinarily powerful people wasting their potential by killing orcs or stealing treasure. Abilities that would make you a wealthy healer, world star gladiator or advisor to some king is used for murderhoboing.

This makes it tricky for a lot of people to visualize what people might actually do if they had magic, because the game focuses on the most retarded way of using it possible.
>>
>>47502957
Murderhoboing is important work. It thins out the monster population and occasionally saves the continent or even the entire world if they stumble upon an important adventure. You wont insult murderhobos! I wont stand for it!
>>
>>47502997
But a nationwide monster problem or world-ending threats should not be left to unregulated amateurs without systematic approach, accountability or reliable means of contact and contracting!

It should be organized and coordinated! A concerted, systematic effort would reduce the monster population drastically over just a few years, and the project would pay for itself many times over just from the increased tax income from a populace that can concern itself with working, raising kids and planting crops rather than worrying about ogres and goblins.

Adventurers, bah! That's no way of defending the nation.
>>
>>47502997

Or you end up with a group of unregulated morons, loons, and criminals who go around causing mischief and unleashing said monsters and horrors upon the world when they stumble into shit that they had no idea of how to properly handle.
>>
>>47487835
They'd probably start by sending all their children to a single school that teaches their kids how to throw dangerous hexes at each other with unregulated wands instead of reading or writing or arithmetic.
>>
File: 11.jpg (350KB, 933x1352px)
11.jpg
350KB, 933x1352px
>>47487835

>not using the superior version of this image
>>
>>47487835
It's like if many people had weapons or guns. The stronger still rules. You just have to write magic in a different way.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.