[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it good, /tg/? I've read reviews, but would like to hear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: One Ring.jpg (134KB, 800x985px) Image search: [Google]
One Ring.jpg
134KB, 800x985px
Is it good, /tg/?
I've read reviews, but would like to hear opinions from other sources.

(Also, are there any better systems for playing in Middle-Earth?)
>>
It's really good.

Captures the sense of "adventurous journey" instead of "string of combat encounters"
>>
File: 1459332820020.gif (4MB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
1459332820020.gif
4MB, 500x210px
>>47340365
I have played a little bit of it 2 years ago. And it is pretty much the best way to play in Middle Earth.
Just don't do murderhobo shit and you should be good.
>>
Rules are good, fluff is just okay.
>>
How does it work with 1d12 mechanic?
>>
>>47340449
This. Rules really encourages cooperating all together to create a great saga. I think the V2 rulebook is in the /tg/ archive.
>>
>>47340597
Your skills represent a d6 with each dot.
You roll those d6 plus a d12, add toget her and get the results.
On the official dice, the Sauron mark means something bad happens, Gandalf symbol means something good happens.
On a normal d12, Sauron is an 11 and a Gandalf is a 12.
>>
>>47340572
By fluff, I assume that you mean the stuff that they have added to the Legendarium.
You're right, it isn't great. It tries to mimic Tolkien's style, but doesn't always work.
However, the good thing about the added fluff is that you don't need to use it.
You can stay entirely true to Tolkien, or make your own elaborations.
>>
>>47340572
I wonder how difficult it would be to work in fluff and some mechanics from ICE's MERP.
>>
anyone have a pdf for the core rulebook? I'd like to check it out, all my players are big lotr fans
>>
How friendly is this to new DM's?

My game group has shown a passing interest in playing an RPG.

They're a bit normie but like LOTR. I feel like this might be something they could get into and actually spend the time to make decent characters and give it a shot.

However, I've never been a DM. Will I have a hard time, or does it hold my hand during, at least, the initial adventures until I can get the hang of it?
>>
>>47340365
Played it just the other day and had a wonderful time.You can really feel that the system was made for the setting, and it works.

Aside from actually making travelling i interesting and immersive it has also the best armor and hp system of any recent rpg iv'e played.

My dwarf was worn down from travel fatigue and from dispatching two goblins when we ambushed our query, the uruk. Sweaty and encumbered I threw my shield and helmet aside gave me enough energy to last the fight.

Just that stuff like that appear naturally even for the our autistic munchkin group makes The One Ring a pretty top-tier rpg. At least for us that is, your mileage may wary. But I highly reccoment stealing the travel rules for whatever game you are playing.
>>
>>47346774

Bumping for hopefully answer.
>>
anyone care to share pdf of this?
>>
File: lake_town_artpreview.jpg (382KB, 1000x1294px) Image search: [Google]
lake_town_artpreview.jpg
382KB, 1000x1294px
>>47346574
/tg/ archive has it.

>>47346774
It's pretty easy imho, the campaign books hold your hand quite nicely, put more emphasis on good storytelling than throwing mechanical challenges at your players and it will run just fine.

>>47346574
>>47350456
Core rulebook, adventurer's book (or Core Rulebook V2 which replaces both) and Horselords of Rohan are in the /tg/ pdf archive. I'll see if i can get my hands on pdf version of my books and add them as well.
>>
>>47346791
Having the game actually recognise doing stuff like that seems awesome
>>
>>47352262
I know they have it, but I'm looking for the revised all-in-one core book, and this i cannot find I hate having core split into two or moreseparate books like dm's book and players book
>>
>>47343412

Yeah. The problem with their Legendarium stuff is the same problem any time anybody tries to do their own think with Tolkien's setting. Either you stick as closely to his framework as possible, and include almost no new elements OR you try adding new stuff regardless of whether it fits the themes and tone of the source material. Attempts to expand on Tolkien's stuff always seem to fall into one of those two extremes

TOR falls on the former side, innovating as little as possible and only introducing new elements when it can make them as similar as possible to existing elements in Tolkien's setting. A slightly different kind of ent, a slightly different kind of wraith, a huron that acts a bit like the Watcher in the Water using vines as tentacles, etc, etc.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.