[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 39

File: TrumpAnime_zpse0ndpf8y.jpg (412KB, 1017x1319px) Image search: [Google]
TrumpAnime_zpse0ndpf8y.jpg
412KB, 1017x1319px
Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Old dungeon: >>47265552
>>
first for rogues
>>
File: doctor.png (2MB, 1785x1640px) Image search: [Google]
doctor.png
2MB, 1785x1640px
I'm not gonna post one of those cancerous stat me theads, but I will post it here. What's the best class to play her, /tg/?
>>
File: 1453794295312.gif (288KB, 285x481px) Image search: [Google]
1453794295312.gif
288KB, 285x481px
>>47280085
Tough call but I'd go with Rogue because they have decent selection of proficiencies and combine that with some sort of academic background. See if you can make a deal with your GM for making gas grenades with the poisoner's kit and the good ol' doctor already uses knives/short swords, so sneak attack fits the theme.
>>
File: 94ewz1j.jpg (384KB, 1445x1443px) Image search: [Google]
94ewz1j.jpg
384KB, 1445x1443px
>mfw am going to get to play as a Githyanki Gish soon

I'm using the gith race from the 5e wiki, does anyone know of a different one or a better one?
>>
>>47280252
gish?
>>
>>47280252
What's the 5e wiki?
>>
>>47280262
spells + sword, you know the classic gish?

>>47280281
I don't know why I said 5e, it's just dandwiki
>>
File: 1456234350538.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1456234350538.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
>>47280307
> dandwiki

Stay away from this shit, it's full of unbalanced homebrew and no sane DM would ever allow anything from it. It's pretty infamous.
>>
>>47280307
Kinda new to 5e so not really? But something like Eldritch Knight I wager?
>>
>>47280323
that's what it is

>>47280317
he linked me there and it seems no worse than a aorocockra or whatever the bird thing is
>>
Just browsing through the DM Guide and what the fuck is up with the improvised damage table?
>1d10 dmg
>Burned by coals, hit by a falling bookcase, pricked by a poison needle.
Having a bookshelf tumble over you is potentially more dangerous than some STR18 dude hitting you in the face with a handaxe??
>>
>>47280368
>hitting you in the face

not every attack is "you get stabbed through the chest" or "You take an axe square to the face"

unless it's a crit, assume an attack on something like a human is a glancing strike or is somewhat blocked by armor or something.

also there is a difference between 6 damage to a goblin and 6 damage to a human; to the goblin that six damage almost kills them, so that's something like a solid hit in a vital area. for a level 3 or so adventurer, it's like a semi-glancing blow

but really, it's a game
>>
>>47280368
Well if you fail a save against a bookcase you most likely just got cracked in the back of the head with a huge piece of wood and are being crushed. At least you are trying to stop the hand axe and most likely have armour.
>>
>>47280368
You have clearly never had a bookcase fall on you

Besides, average damage for the bookcase is 5, while a handaxe murderer does an average of 7 at str18
>>
>>47280085
Thief so you can throw alchemy shit/use a healer's kit and attack
Healer feat so you can heal people
Decent strength & tavern brawler so you are better at throwning bombs and poisons
Expertise in nature so you can make your own poisons if your DM allows it
Expertise in whatever skill it would be to make bombs if your DM allows them
>>
File: svhUTHt2.png (164KB, 361x682px) Image search: [Google]
svhUTHt2.png
164KB, 361x682px
>>47280085
The Vassal is a no-brainer though
>WIS/CHA
>>
Hey guys I need to pick your brains a sec
I'm doing custom starting equipment for the party in an upcoming CoS game because it'll be in a custom setting (victorian, party is museum staff)
The party is:

Fighter (security)
Breastplate, baton (bludgeoning shortsword), shield, pistol with 20 bullets and 12gp

Ranger (archaeologist)
Studded leather, scimitar, baton, musket with 20 bullets and 12 gp

Bard (guide)
Leather armor with +1 to charisma mod, cane-sword (concealable rapier), flute, dagger, 15 gp

Warlock (curator)
Leather armor with DR1 to fire, cold and lightning, dagger, medallion of thoughts (dmg 181) and 25 gp

Does this sound good?
>>
DM here who is pissy because dragonborn rolled an 18 (3x6) for character and plays a +5 (20) dragonborn two hand fighter! got a few sessions to balance him
>>
>>47281345
I'm also gonna make some stuff available to pick up before starting the adventure proper:

Extra knives and batons
Extra pistol with 20 bullets
Fire axe (battleaxe)

And a chainsaw (greatsword with 1d6 damage, each successful hit after the first on the same target does a bonus 1d6 up to 4d6, resets on a miss) by player request
>>
>>47281350
He's balanced, you can only blame yourself for rolling for stats

It's not like a extra +2 to hit and damage is such a huge deal anyway, leave him alone
>>
File: 1458582024681.gif (1024KB, 218x228px) Image search: [Google]
1458582024681.gif
1024KB, 218x228px
R I DUMM or isn't the Curse of Strahd in the megatrove? >>47280041
>>
File: I-love-Cock-shirt.jpg (9KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
I-love-Cock-shirt.jpg
9KB, 235x235px
>>47281456
Disregard that, I suck cocks
>>
>>47280281
A really shit wiki that doesn't properly warn its users that most of the content on it is terrible homebrew. I've seen tons of people read stuff on it and think it's official. myself included, way back when.
>>
>>47281350
If it looks like he's dominating combat have your other players come across some items that will buff them up to his level.
Then just make combat more difficult.

But to be honest, it shouldn't be such a big deal.
>>
>Take Grappler
>Take Tavern Brawler

Turn 1
>attack and bonus action grapple

Turn 2
>attack with advantage, and, using tavern brawler, bonus action grapple (to pin)
>target suffers disadvantages of being pinned (your allies get advantage to attack, he has disadvantage on dex saving throws)
>let his turn pass maintaining the pin

Turn 3
>end the pin (this is a free action, no cost whatsoever)
>attack with advantage, and, using tavern brawler, bonus action grapple (to pin)

repeat

Would it work?
>>
>>47280317
>"Oh man anon, this is a pretty cool class, can I use it?"
>Links to dandwiki
>Homebrew is something that can easily be represented by another class or archetype
>Usually overpowered stuff, like a psion getting all the benefits of a cleric and a sorcerer rolled into one
>Or a swashbuckler class when swashbuckler rogue already exists
The only time I veto anything on the spot is if the source is dandwiki, everything else I'd be willing to take a look at.
>>
>>47281628
It's possible but I don't understand why you would do that, when you pin someone you are also restrained yourself, plus why are you releasing the opponent at all? Just for an attack with advantage every other turn?

Just grapple and shove prone, that does the same thing and doesn't put you at disadvantage at any point
>>
>>47278033
>Sneak attack description says that it can occur once per turn. That means it refreshes every turn, so you can't use it on a reaction. If you miss all your attacks during your turn and couldn't sneak attack though, then it's fair game.
You are confusing turns and rounds.
Every creature in combat has one turn per round. Once all their turns are completed, the round is over and you're back to the top of the initiative order.

Sneak Attack has a limit of once per YOUR TURN, when you are in control and making decisions. If another effect grants you an attack during another creature's turn, such as their movement phase triggering an AoO or someone using Commander's Strike, it's no longer "your turn", so you may Sneak Attack again.

You can Sneak Attack twice per round (since Commander's Strike uses your reaction just like an AoO). If another class had an effect that used a second creature's bonus action to allow them to move, you could potentially Sneak Attack three times.

Commander's Strike or AoOing for an extra Sneak Attack is very much intended.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/18/sneak-once-per-turn/
>>
>>47281692
This is for if you only have one attack per turn (rogue for example).

The thing about the pin is (if I understand correctly), that you can release it at any time at no cost. So if someone forces you to dex check or attacks you with advantage for restraint, you can end the pin early.

And you aren't releasing the opponent, you're just dropping the pin, maintaining the grapple.
>>
>>47281755
You're still only allowed twice per round. You have limited reactions m8. As in 1.
>>
>>47280368
>being yet another caster supremacist punishing Barbarians for throwing bookcases because muh 1d4
The bookcase isn't getting anyone's Strength or Dex mod added to its damage, by the way.
>>
>>47281755
>If another class had an effect that used a second creature's bonus action to allow them to move, you could potentially Sneak Attack three times.
I think that all action outside of a characters turn uses the reaction.
>>
>>47281805
>If another class had an effect that used a second creature's BONUS ACTION to allow THEM (THE SECOND CREATURE) to move, you could POTENTIALLY Sneak Attack three times.
No points for trying to correct a post you didn't understand.
>>
>>47281854
Any effect that is going to let you attack during another creature's turn is going to use your reaction. You only get one reaction during a round (using it means you can't use reactions until your next turn starts). Ergo, you can attack ONCE outside of your turn per round.

Since you can only get sneak attacks ONCE during your turn, and can only attack ONCE outside of your turn, this means there is a hard limit of TWO sneak attacks per round, unless there is some feature giving you a second reaction.

I refer you to the OP.
>>
>>47281902
>Any effect that is going to let you attack during another creature's turn is going to use your reaction.
Until someone makes a spell or feature that breaks that rule, which was the entire point of that sentence. How are you this dense?
>>
>>47281923
I don't see how "BONUS ACTION to allow them (the second creature) to MOVE" has anything in it about conferring a second reaction to somebody.

Is english not your first language?
>>
>>47280252
+2 Str, +1 Int, Common and Gith, Proficiency with light armor and medium armor, Proficiency with greatswords, Innate spellcasting Intelligence : invisible mage hand (at will)
>>
>>47281350
Holy heck you are a faggot
>>
>>47281936
Creature A has an effect that allows Creature B to use Creature B's bonus action to act outside of its turn instead of something that uses Creature B's reaction as is usual. This should have been a pretty clear hypothetical, especially considering the preceding sentence straight out says you can only Sneak Attack twice per round and specifically calls out two competing uses of reactions.
>>
>>47281977
MOVE has a very precise definition in DND 5e. You're either retarded or pretending to be retarded to avoid admitting you're wrong.

If you weren't retarded, you would have said Bonus action to attack. However, you're still wrong, because bonus actions only occur during the turn of the person using the bonus action. So not only would it be against templating, it wouldn't make any sense.
>>
>>47281902
The anons above are pointing out there is no cap on sneak attacks per round, only per turn. The limiting factor is action economy. With published materials as-is, the only attacks out of your own turn use your reactions. But if anything came out in future that allowed you to make an out-of-turn bonus action attack (extra battlemaster manoeuvres, maybe), then you would also be able to use sneak attack with that.

Out of ten, how autistic would you say you are?
>>
>>47282004
I could make a homebrew that lets people use their reactions to cast 9th level spells for free as a fighter. That doesn't mean it is likely to happen or worth discussing in the context of established rules.

Probably about an 8/10 overall.
>>
>>47281977
>bonus action to act outside of its turn
that's not how the game's most basic mechanics work
>>
>>47282004
Why conjecture?
>>
>>47282020
>>47282003
>>47282004
>>47281977
Not gonna bother quoting everyone but all you people arguing:

The one guy is speaking hypothetically
>"IF a rogue could act out of turn using his round's bonus action, THEN he could SA up to three times per round"

You all are stating, as he (at least NOW) knows, that there is no feature in the game that permits use of a bonus action outside of your turn. Just to reiterate, he knows this.

And you better now understand that he is just speaking hypothetically. No point in arguing now, pls stop shitting up the general.
>>
>>47282020
Which is why I specified published materials. Nobody is arguing that right now you can only get two sneak attacks per round. But anons above rightly pointed out that this is because of the current action economy, rather than because of the sneak attack feature itself, and if there was anything published in future that allowed two reactions, or a bonus action out-of-turn attack, that could also be used for sneak attack.

Two which you sperged out over NO THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE OUT OF TURN ATTACKS CAN ONLY EVER USE REACTIONS
>>
>>47281345
>>47281384
Anyone? I'm mostly concerned about the +1CHA leather armor and Medallion of Thoughts

They don't seem like a big deal to me but I might be missing something
>>
>>47282059
>>47282066
You wrote your own homebrew into the rules in a confusing matter that left it open to debate for people less aware of the rules. You were spreading misinformation.

Now stop samefagging.
>>
File: fuck off shitposter.png (7KB, 354x190px) Image search: [Google]
fuck off shitposter.png
7KB, 354x190px
>>47282074
his homebrew post was a stupid hyperbole but again, you know what he meant. stop being an autistic shitlord only posting because MOM SOMEONE'S WRONG ON THE INTERNEEEEET

filename and pic related
>>
>>47282108
I literally didn't know what you meant, because you used terms that have definitions in the game, to mean other things without telling anyone.

Now kindly take your edits and leave.
>>
>>47282127
(You)
Done replying to your damn autistic ass. Learn to differentiate writing styles. I guess that's difficult for autists though, can't blame you justly.

Anyway, to re-rail the thread:
Are there any rules for choking? I haven't come across any in the PHB and I'm not keen to read the DMG quite yet. I mean, if you shove someone under water before they have a chance to rightly inhale, they shouldn't be getting their entire (1+conmod) minutes ((1+conmod)*10 rounds) of breath.

I want to grapple people and drown them.
>>
File: face donaldsmug.jpg (6KB, 142x165px) Image search: [Google]
face donaldsmug.jpg
6KB, 142x165px
>>47282127
>trying to dodge
>being this mad
>>
>>47282188

>Are there any rules for choking? I haven't come across any in the PHB and I'm not keen to read the DMG quite yet. I mean, if you shove someone under water before they have a chance to rightly inhale, they shouldn't be getting their entire (1+conmod) minutes ((1+conmod)*10 rounds) of breath.
>I want to grapple people and drown them.

Depends on what your goals are. If you want choking rules to work like an action movie, then drowning in a few rounds makes sense. If you're going for muh realism, then it actually does take a long time to drown a mother fucker.
>>
>>47282204
>>47282188
>using meaningless words

What do you mean by dodge, samefag?

As for choking: rule of fun would be a few rounds, realism would be drowning rules. As your players/dm.
>>
What is the highest armor class among CR 1/2 creatures?
>>
>>47281628
Don't have the PHB on my phone but I'm 99% sure the pin takes an action and not an attack / grapple so you couldn't do it as a bonus action.

I'd probably rather just shove the target than spend a Feat on grappler. Hell, you could use Shield Master to get to prone them as a bonus action.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Tavern-Brawler.png (511KB, 569x367px) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Tavern-Brawler.png
511KB, 569x367px
>>47282260
Tavern Brawler (pic related)
>When you hit a creature ... on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target

Grappler
>You can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check.
>You can use your action to ... make another grapple check [to try to pin a creature grappled by you].
>>
>>47282377
Sorry bud but
>use a bonus action to attempt to grapple
And
>use your action to (...) make another grapple check

Are mutually exclusive because one specifies it's a "grapple attempt" and the other specifies "use your action to pin"

No worko
>>
>>47282435
Tavern Brawler (pic related)
>...you can use a bonus action to [make a grapple check]

Grappler
>You can ... make another grapple check [to try to pin a creature grappled by you].
>>
>>47282435
So the pin happens next turn or as a fighter you action surge. It works. Not everyone can automatically break out of a grapple.
>>
>>47282435
Yeah, this. Grappler allows you to use your action to pin someone with A grapple check, not to pin someone whenever you make a grapple check. It gives you a new action you can do rather than modifying existing ones.

It's similar to how you can't Shove with the Polearm Master or dual wielding bonus action.
>>
>>47282498
>>You can ... make another grapple check
with the full text being
>You can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check.
Why even try to argue at this point? You're wrong and you know you're wrong, so you have to literally cut out vital information (specifically "use your action") from your quote and replace it with an ellipsis
>>
>>47282585
Why even bother with the pin if it's only going to have 50% uptime or require your Action Surge? What's even the benefit to pinning them over shoving in that case, especially since you're burning an ASI to be able to pin?
>>
How can I get my PC's to git gud without letting them fall into a TPK or outright killing one of them off?

They're all pretty attached to their characters and since our goal is fun that's not how I want to go about things. But I mean they often get their shit fucked up by things that shouldn't be.

Here's my problem. Where our campaign is currently, in order for them to take down the big boss, I think they're gonna need to take a long rest. The problem is that it makes no sense for them currently to take a long rest (they're not in a very restful area). Not to mention if they spent 8 hours resting the boss will probably have found them in their sleep and murdered them. They're in his place, after all. And if I nerf the baddie for the sake of their survival I think it will be really obvious.

They're about 1 encounter away from the boss. Any bullshit I can use that will benefit them but seem like I'm not giving them the obvious health-pack they so desperately need?
>>
File: flabbing.webm (70KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
flabbing.webm
70KB, 320x240px
>>47282243
>Itjustkeepshappening.png
>>
how do you guys generally deal with players using Animate Dead? Considering letting one of my players use Death Domain.
>>
>>47282606
>getting this butthurt and defensive
>"y-you're wrong!!!!!"
Calm down there, autismo, in my first post on the topic I asked "Would it work?". Posting different interpretations that are literally still direct quotes is not equivalent to claiming that the proposition indeed is valid.

Get the confrontation stick out of your ass.
>>
>>47282664
>proven wrong, I will resort to memetic shitposting.

Please go away, nobody wants you.

>>47282623
What kind of setting is the big bad's place? Could it have a garden? If so, you could put some goodberrys in a garden for them to find.

Depending on how magical the big bad is, he might have a bath connected to a basin full of blood. Upon investigating the area, they find instructions detailing a curative ritual that would let them fully heal someone who bathes in the blood. It's an evil ritual, but it would also prevent the big bad from using it later.

They find an infirmary with medical supplies in it. However, the infirmary is also heavily guarded, so they must either fight or sneak into it, and find some way to keep the nurses from sounding any alarms while they force them to treat the party.
>>
File: pse0ndpf8y.jpg (15KB, 434x137px) Image search: [Google]
pse0ndpf8y.jpg
15KB, 434x137px
>>47282765
>"In my head I am always right!"
>>
>>47282623
Have a guard discover them during their rest, and report back to the BBEG. The PC on watch at the time notices the guard if their passive perception beats the guard's stealth check. The BBEG doesn't slaughter them, he instead sets up an ambush/trap which the PCs may be able to elude or thwart if they've clever. If the PC on watch saw the guard, but no combat happens, then the party will know that an ambush/trap is imminent, and may be able to prepare for it and/or predict what it might be.

If the PC on watch decided to try to subdue the guard, either they successfully do so in one turn of combat or through up to a minute of roleplaying and social checks (maybe something like two checks with 15 DC, succeeding on neither means he raises the alarm, succeeding on one means he turns a blind eye, succeeding on both means he helps), or they fail and the guard raises an alarm and waves of enemies begin (first two nearby guards that hear the first one's call, second a squad of 6 guards led by a veteran, third the BBEG with his personal guards and top henchman -- just throwing these "waves" out there to give you an idea, obviously adjust as you see fit).
>>
>>47282765
>Depending on how magical the big bad is, he might have a bath connected to a basin full of blood. Upon investigating the area, they find instructions detailing a curative ritual that would let them fully heal someone who bathes in the blood. It's an evil ritual, but it would also prevent the big bad from using it later.

I guess maybe something along these lines I could opt for. The goodberrys and infirmary can't really work in this setting.
Thanks for the ideas though! Definitely helps me brainstorm.
>>
>>47282623
Maybe the PC's get caught and thrown into jail, where they may take a long rest before escaping?
>>
>>47282927
>Maybe the PC's get caught and thrown into jail, where they may take a long rest before escaping?
lel, that's how they got in this mess to begin with

> just throwing these "waves" out there to give you an idea, obviously adjust as you see fit
Which is exactly what I'm hoping for from you guys. And I'm keeping notes for if these might fit well for other times I have to give them the help they need.
>>
How do I find out my passive perception? And what does it means?
>>
>>47282805
Meant to quote you in >>47282957
Thanks for the ideas, famalam.
>>
>>47283000
Passive score is read the book
It means read the book
>>
What makes a trident better than a spear, /5eg/?
>>
>>47283000
Well fuck me. I found it under Dexterity in a box called Hiding.
>>
>>47283052
3 prongs = 3*spear damage per attack
>>
>>47283048
So edgy, unhelpful and shitposted. Well done anon. You're why people don't like D&D players.
>>
>>47283052
Two extra pointy bits and street cred with merfolk
>>
>>47283061
>>47283080
Don't forget that if you twist it, you get to deal an extra 1d12 damage.

Don't know why they released them in their OP state.
>>
File: se0ndpf8y.png (309KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
se0ndpf8y.png
309KB, 600x524px
>>
>>47283112
Lol, I'll bite. Why an extra 1d12 specifically?
>>
>>47283199
Because you touch yourself at night
>>
>>47283199
D12 = 3x D4 improvised weapon damage
>>
>>47283199
Because D&D doesn't use the glorious dodecahedron as much as it perhaps should
>>
>>47283328
1d12 != 3d4
lrn2stats
>>
Anyone here ever played a Druid? Are they fun at all?

I hear they're borderline OP thanks to Temp HP at level 2 but how badly do they fall behind after that?
>>
>>47283380
They start lagging behind at 5th onward due to the slow scaling of their attack, but the buffers of HP they have are always good, and they can always fall back to spells or use them for a temporary power boost.
>>
Can spells like Jump be stacked?
>>
>>47283521
The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, however. lnstead, the most potent effect - such as the highest bonus - from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
>>
>>47283521
Spells and magic effects/items of the same type can never be stacked, as I've understood it.
>>
Human Variant Druid with Magic Initiate Feat. Get Mage Armor and able to cast it once a day. I cast it so that means my AC cannot be below 13+Dex. Wild shape into beast. Across the board my AC goes up either 1-3 for 8 hours.

Is this cheap? We have a pretty optimized team so I need an optimized healthy front liner me and thought of this.
>>
>>47283537
>>47283543
Thanks

That DM story for you guys:
>playing ranger, take ritual caster feat
>DM tells me that spells cast as rituals take 10x the casting time
>want to cast Find Familiar (1hr as a spell)
>DM: "That'll take you 10 hours."
>me: "Uh, okay. I'll stay up through the night for 8 hours and complete the last 2 hours on the road"
>DM: "Okay, roll me a check to see if you can maintain concentration while you perform the ritual on spider-back" (I was riding a female steeder - spider that can serve as a horse from Out of the Abyss)
>me: "Really?"
>DM: "Roll it."
>roll a 3 or something
>"You lose concentration and you fuck it up. The components are wasted." (we were in the middle of nowhere - components could be not be obtained for weeks)
>>
>>47283626
for a feat, not really cheap. if it's too powerful, the DM can ambush you at times when you don't have it up, or just have an enemy dispel magic on you... or just ignore the high AC high HP beast and go for the squishies. lots of options to him, fine to do this IMO
>>
File: face shrug.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
face shrug.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>>47283683
Don't really see the problem here? You took a chance and got fucked by the RNG, such is life in the zone.
>>
>>47283683
Did you tell the DM to read the fucking book?
>>
>>47283775
a) ritual casting adds 10 minutes to the casting time
b) normal activity doesn't incur a concentration check; only casting another concentration spell, taking damage, or being incapacitated or killed can incur a check (pg203PHB)
(shit like getting hit by a massive wave or shoved could also incur a check at the DM's discretion)
>>
>>47283866
I was really new at the time, hadn't read the entirety of the manual myself; trusted him to know his shit.
>>
File: 1462490217238.png (452KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
1462490217238.png
452KB, 800x640px
>>47283380
Never checked up on druids but they seem to be a good combo with half-orcs! :3

Relentless Endurance as an extra-life to keep up the wild form and revert on your next action, healing back fo full*.
Savage Attacks is nice to have when you're a tiger or something with a nasty attack die roll.
>>
File: 1433707124150.gif (3MB, 353x209px) Image search: [Google]
1433707124150.gif
3MB, 353x209px
>>47280317
What, *nothing*?

>https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Slave_%285e_Background%29

Such unbalance.

>https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Compass_%285e_Equipment%29

Oh God, who would allow such a thing.

>https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Eberron_Goblin_%285e_Race%29

The end of D&D as we know it.

...I'm not a fan of sweeping statements, if you can't tell.
>>
Hey, 5eg guy, (or whoever runs the damned Mega.) You still need the Lost Lands: Borderland Provinces and Adventures in the BP?
>>
>>47283943
The Mega only contains official stuff from Wizards for the most part. I try to add as little third-party stuff to it as possible.

I'm sure other people would appreciate the share, though.
>>
>>47283380
Depends on the nature of your campaign
If you're able to find enough beasts that you can be kitted out for most any situations as well as a few powerful combat forms, you'll be fine.
Doubly so if your gm gets creative with home-brew enemies and adds a few beasts of his own in to let you curve out better level 9 and onwards.

Level 5 is the tits, conjure animals (depending on how you rule the animal summoning works) and call lightning are your friends. I'm playing a druid pirate right now, conjuring giant parrots and turning into giant octopuses.
Cool tricks with call lightning, if you're moon circle you can cast it, turn into a tiny animal like a spider and scurry for safety all in the same turn, and then just rain delicious lightning death for 99 more rounds as a wall-climbing critter.
Bonus points if you make angry spider gestures while doing so.
>>
>>47283970
Sweet, thanks for the clarification. Here's Adventures. Gonna try and get the first one into a 4shared link or something.
>>
>>47283746
Yeah I see your point, I'm deciding between Sentinel or Magic Initiate. But I have a story for if he's a magic initiate. Sentinel is just kind of super optimized.
>>
>>47283909

+Strength is useless though. If you roll for stats and roll well I think it'd be alright. Not having a bonus to wisdom kind of hurts, but probably less if you're a Moon Druid since you're a little less reliant on your physical stats.
>>
>>47284059
>take a level of wizard
>on your next level, take you main class level and sentinel instead of ASI
>>
What would be the most cost-efficient barding to give my panther companion?

I'm thinking a chain shirt to not entirely lose out on the dex bonus, but eventually I'm gonna want to put a breastplate on

Or should I go balls to the wall and get it a full set of plate when I get the gold?
>>
>>47283917
Not all men!
>>
>>47284081
Can't be wild shape'd 24/7, gotta be able to kick ass in natural form as well. My quick attribute sketch went 15/14/14/8/15/9.
>>
And, here's the link to Borderland Provinces for anyone who wants it.

http://www.4shared.com/office/_2srSNTzba/Frog_God_Games_5E__H__-_Border.html
>>
>>47284105
Suicide your character and play a druid. Steal or buy panther barding without worrying about fit and wildshape to fit it perfectly. This way you don't have to worry about wasting the money when the panther dies and you have to a)find a new panther and b)have the barding refitted
>>
>>47284090
That's a good idea, I haven't multiclassed yet so that makes sense. I just got to make sure I am good starting levels wise with the DM.
>>
>>47283746
>just have an enemy dispel magic on you
"How did he know that the bear was under the mage armor spell?"
>>
>>47284153
Panther's done great so far, pounce is great and once it gets the barding it'll be as survivable as the party wizard

Actually more because that'll be 15 + my prof ac, so 17 until I level up
>>
>>47284216
Lol, good point. I don't know if Mage armor is visible.
>>
>>47284245
Except that when the party Wizard hits zero you've got about three rounds or so to stabilise him or heal him whereas when the panther hits zero it dies instantly.
>>
>>47284090
>>47284159
I don't remember what level Monks get unarmoured defense but that'd surely be better than Mage Armour?
>>
>>47284323
Depends on the DM. I'd let you stabilize animal companions. Honestly, I can't think of many reasons to disallow PC dying rules for animal companions, that don't take you into "that DM" territory.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Spells_Fireball.png (24KB, 496x481px) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Spells_Fireball.png
24KB, 496x481px
Rolled 3, 6, 6, 5, 3, 3, 6, 4 = 36 (8d6)

>>47284245
Assuming that you are level 4 (+2 proficiency bonus):
>panther's dex saving throw bonus = +4
>panther's HP = 13

Pic and roll related, save or die.
>>
File: saves your excuses for hell.png (2MB, 1280x1295px) Image search: [Google]
saves your excuses for hell.png
2MB, 1280x1295px
>>47284323
>there are DMs that don't allow death saving throws for the party's allies and companions
>>
>>47284323
But animal companions also get saving throws
>>
>>47284344
Bears can't do martial arts, even though there is no rules against it I would say no to wild shape unarmored combat. Id rather Mage armor than that.
>>
>>47281254
Why is your vassal flat chested, and a man?
>>
>>47284382
Why would the Panther have 13 hp? Has it already suffered damage in this scenario?
>>
>>47284382
Let's see
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>47284382
>>
>>47284476
Guess it's down for the count until it gets a heal
>>
File: panther h[.png (51KB, 200x151px) Image search: [Google]
panther h[.png
51KB, 200x151px
Rolled 4 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

>>47284382
Let me go ahead and roll your panther's save for you. A wizard/sorcerer's spell save DC would reasonably be 14 at the lowest level it could cast fireball (level 5, a reasonable CR for a level 4 party).

If he fails, he takes 36 fire damage.
13hp - 36hp = -23hp < -13hp
>if he fails he dies outright, no stabilization

If he succeeds, he take 18 fire damage.
13hp - 18hp = -5hp > -13hp
>if he succeeds, he dies and needs to be stabilized before he fails his death saving throws.

>>47284451
Uh... pic related? Unless you want the 12HP from 3*rangerlevel?
>>
So I'm making a character with the Acolyte background but don't think any of the bonds/flaws/etc really fit. I can just make something up to replace them, right?
>>
>>47284514
See >>47284519

On the fail, it takes more than double its maximum hit points of damage. It can't be stabilized.
>>
>>47284519
>if he fails, he dies outright, no stabilization

What? How?
>>
>>47284519
>Uh... pic related? Unless you want the 12HP from 3*rangerlevel?
>>47284451
My bad, it's 16 (4*rangerlevel).

16-38=-22
Still dead outright, no saving throws.
>>
>>47284548
See pic related
>>
>>47284574
Oh I see, double hp as damage means it died outright, too bad

Guess I gotta spend a day of downtime to get another one, at least I don't have to reroll like the party wizard
>>
>>47284476
So if the 4th level ranger (with ~36 hp assuming a +2 from constitution each level) were also in the blast radius and rolled a 6 he'd... Also be toast.

If a 4th level Fighter were also in the blast radius (same HP as the Ranger above) and rolled a 6 he'd... Also be toast.

>>47284574
Your bad, but not for that reason. "Its hit point maximum equals its normal maximum or four times your ranger level, whichever is higher" (PHB pg93). A 4th level Ranger's panther-buddy has 24 hit points (maximum of 3d8). And as such it survives to attempt death saves if the DM is of a mind to let such things happen.
>>
>>47284612
You need to actually find one. You don't get to just make it appear out of thin air. Even if you do find one, it won't fit the barding which you'll have to have refitted.

You can probably find a deer or a wolf or something though.
>>
So I'm running a death cleric next week in a new campaign(seemed like a fun domain)and I ran into a minor issue.

I get to choose a necromancy cantrip for free from any class, the only issue is there are only two of those in the game. Chill Touch and Spare the dying. I get Spare already as a cleric and Chill is pretty good and I'll take it if I can't figure out a better option.

So my question for you all is if anyone has some good homebrew necromancy spells or spells that would work good rebranded as necromancy.

I was thinking Poison Spray would work as a necromancy cantrip but any suggestions will be helpful, or acid splash. My DM is fine with some minor homebrewing.

Second cleric I'm playing and first time on any character with a lean towards necromancy so not familiar with my options yet. So if anybody has good rebranding of higher level spells or such that'd be nice too.
>>
>>47284441
>killing one of the two viable Monk multiclass options
>nerfing martial options in favour of caster options because of muh verisimilitude
You're the worst kind of DM.
>>
>>47284628
Good point, I was thinking a fireball on a lv4 party is a bit crazy

Plus all those damage dice were 3+ that's cray
>>
>>47284628
>"Its hit point maximum equals its normal maximum or four times your ranger level, whichever is higher" (PHB pg93). A 4th level Ranger's panther-buddy has 24 hit points (maximum of 3d8).
Its normal HP maximum is 13. Just as a player character's hit point maximum does not refer to the maximum possible HP given perfect hit dice rolls.
>>
>>47284612
A fourth level Wizard will typically have 26HP (assuming 14 Con because they don't have any particular MAD issues or anything). That means it'd take 52 damage rather than 32 to oneshot him which is a pretty significant difference.
>>
>>47284672
Sometimes the dice fall on the high end of the bell curve, such is life. An 8d6 area of effect is pretty rough and tumble, but something that a 4th level party can expect to run into when there are things like Flameskulls around. I've thrown several at my players since the Starter Set came out, and have found that the big fistful of damage dice really grabs the attention of the group. "Oh shit, what are you doing to us?" followed by everybody somehow surviving (my dice aren't as evil as /tg/'s algorithm, apparently), and piling right the hell onto the skull.

Of course, the Flameskull only gets to drop one Fireball a day, so I never have it open with that gambit. A couple of pew-pew eyebeams to feel out its opposition first, to make sure they're worth it.
>>
>>47284649
>you need to find one
Okay, 2 days tops considering I'm a ranger and I should have plenty of time after defeating the boss that casts fireballs

>it won't fit the barding which you'll have to have refitted
Says who? There are no rules for refitting armor

Worst case scenario there is a wolf, flanking is not as nice as pounce but I'll take it
>>
File: dndclassbalance3.png (274KB, 2994x1477px) Image search: [Google]
dndclassbalance3.png
274KB, 2994x1477px
>>47284441
DMs like you are why I make pictures like this.
>>
>>47284672
A level 5 wizard or sorcerer can cast fireball. Nobody said the spell wasn't overpowered as fuck. Plus, PCs will tend to have more HP (apart from wizards) than your companion and as such can be stabilized. And you probably aren't going to be bunched up enough to all fit in the AoE. And the sorcerer/wizard will probably only get the one attack off before being killed, meaning the PCs who got killed can be stabilized. Not an unreasonable encounter.

Point being, as much as you wish the beastmaster companion was actually a viable companion that will last the campaign and is worth the barding investment, it won't and isn't. Unless you can find some nice beastmaster homebrew (check pdf related I found it when I was playing a beastmaster and asked my DM to pls allow it) to fix it. Which I strongly recommend if you want to invest in barding. Also make sure your DM allows companion death saves. If he doesn't, he's a dink.
>>
>>47281254
>>47284447

I'm ok with this.
>>
Rolled 3, 1, 3 = 7 (3d8)

>>47284695
So under that interpretation, as a DM that rolls HP for monsters the Ranger's companion has (whatever /tg/ rolls for this post) as its maximum "normal" hit points. Huh. I suppose that's a good way to hardline a "beastmasters suck" predisposition. I'm personally in favor of reading character rules in the most generous-to-the-players way possible that doesn't clearly break the game. But your mileage may vary.

>>47284803
Of course you're going to be bunched up when something smart enough to cast Fireball decides it's time to cast Fireball. My preference for ruling in the players' favor mostly applies to character generation matters, not tactical decisions.
>>
>>47284668
I think people just hate monks.
It pisses me off a little bit because they're one of my favorites.
I agree he's the worst kind of DM.
>>
>>47284772
>Okay, 2 days tops considering I'm a ranger
Reasonable. Still have to actively be tracking for a solid two work days in that case.

My DM was such an asshole about tracking. Under no constraints, made me roll to find some humans in a forest over an 8 hour period.
>1 survival check for the entire 8 hours
>fail the check
>you don't find anything
>>
>>47284865
wotc certainly does. I still don't get why they nerfed the weakest path's one powerful feature.
>>
>>47284838
>7hp
Nah man, I'll stick to the current 16

Hypotheticals aside, I'm level 4, I have a panther that has been kicking ass so far, I'll be getting it some barding on friday and I feel pretty good about it

However I do see that the issue of massive damage exists and I'll watch out for it, probably only do pounce attacks
>>
Do you guys have experience making monsters tougher? I'd like to have my party fight a giant constrictor snake, but it needs to be a challenge for 5 lvl 3 characters (bard, fighter, rogue, druid, sorceror). Can anyone help me, please?
>>
>>47284922
Figure out what CR it needs to be and use the charts in the [DMG / MM, I forget which] to modify it.
>>
>>47284886
Your DM sounds like an asshole, I would have let you take 20 considering it's 8 fucking hours

Was it your favored terrain?
>>
>>47284922
How about... Wait for it.
TWO constrictor snakes!

But seriously though check DM guide there are some tables that can help you think about CR. Air on the side of weaker, and give it a small HP boost if it looks like it's going down without doing anything at all. I normally don't fudge things, but something like that is pretty inconsequential I think.
>>
>>47284918
>Hypotheticals aside, I'm level 4, I have a panther that has been kicking ass so far, I'll be getting it some barding on friday and I feel pretty good about it
>However I do see that the issue of massive damage exists and I'll watch out for it, probably only do pounce attacks
Sounds like you're having fun with it, keep it up. Seriously try to find a decent homebrew for fixing the animal companion though.

I personally really like ranger spellcasting and would only trade it for half-progression sneak attack dice and cunning action hide, so I don't like that >>47284803 these homebrews abolish spellcasting. But see if your DM will allow the companion changes and keep everything else the same.
>>
>>47284922
Constrictor snakes aren't strong multi-opponent threats, thematically-speaking. They grapple one target and inexorably crush it.

Have it attack when only one of the player characters is in a position to fight it? What possible reason does a constrictor snake have to attack multiple targets at once? I'd expect it to ambush a single straggler. Preferably in his sleep.
>>
>>47284973
Although I should add, don't give it that HP boost if your PCs happen to just land solid hits on it. No reason to punish good rolls.
>>
>>47284668
>>47284865
>I want CoDzilla back
Please tell me how not allowing a druid to become more powerful by taking a single level in monk is nerfing monks.
>>
>>47284961
>Was it your favored terrain?
Yes. And a +5 in survival.
>>
>>47285017
Because it works the other way around too. You need to be consistent.
A monk may want a couple levels in druid for wild shape. Why nerf it either way?
Unarmored defense doesn't stack or anything. You just get whichever is the better AC.
>>
>>47285017
>not wanting an ancient order of monastic nature protectors, who practice martial arts as shapeshifters

Fuck you and your anti-fun attitudes.

t. a better DM than you.
>>
>>47284990
No, the party is going to attack the snake. It's one character's deal, to hunt infamously dangerous snakes
>>
>>47285065
Since Wild Shape uses druid levels to determine what you can turn into the monk who only has a few druid levels can only turn into critters that don't have much combat utility, and at that point it's irrelevant how much AC that form has. So this ruling doesn't really effect monks, but nerfs druids.
>>
>>47285092
Dude, if I wanted to play Werewolf: the Apocalypse, I'd play that instead of Dnd.
>>
Is there a reason that Rangers don't get cantrips apart from "WotC hates the ranger class"?
>>
>>47284947
>>47284973
>>47284990
Would it be too dangerous if instead of Bite or Constrict, I'd let it Bite AND Constrict every turn? Then raise AC to 13 and HP to 105 (instead of 12 and 60 respectively)?
>>
>>47285133
They would have more combat utility if you didn't nerf them.
Wild shape into something with pack tactics, gain adv as a fucking martial arts baboon.
Why do you hate fun? Things are only broken if you let them be. As a DM you literally control the difficulty of encounters. If they're tearing through everything, adjust it accordingly.
>>
>>47284668
>>47284865
This has nothing to do with martials vs. casters or hating on monks. If you want to have Kung fu panda go right ahead then, I'd rather be a self buffing caster with wild shape than jack black.
>>
>>47283079
Stop being lazy and Google it
>>
>>47285227
>doesn't want to be Jack Black

Get a loaf of this baget
>>
>>47284124

When you're not wild shaped I feel like casting is the better option than going as a pretty poor meleer. That said, Strength still isn't great because if you prefer to go Melee then it seems better to just rely on Shillelagh (god that is a bitch to spell) than wasting ASIs on strength. Those could be feats or Dex/Con, which are better stats entirely. In that regard I just think the Strength from Half Orc is pretty wasted, so you're going it entirely for the ability to maybe not get knocked out of beast form. Maybe that's worth it though.
>>
>>47285168
Why isn't the Ranger just a full caster? Remove Extra Attack, trade the martial class features for similar casting class features, boom, you have a competent class. The ranger quite literally depends on his spells to not be just a pussy ass version of a fighter, so having a maximum of 4 1st level spell slots ever fucking sucks butt.
>ensnaring strike
>only gets applied to the first weapon attack that hits
>enemy gets a saving throw
>enemy gets advantage if it is bigger than medium
>you also have to break its AC to trigger the saving throw
>4 per day
Ok.
>>
>>47285195
Even advantage wouldn't help if you barely have +2 attack.
Look, if the option you presented would actually be useful to the monk, I would allow it. But it's just shit. As it stands it only nerfs druids, who deserve it. I'm not going to promote further imbalance in favor of casters just because you act like martial artist baboons aren't the most retarded idea I've heard in weeks.
>>
>>47285314
A nature based full caster with no martial benefits. They already made that it's called a Druid.
>>
>>47284803

>Nobody said the spell wasn't overpowered as fuck

Fireball is hardly overpowered. The problem isn't that Fireball is OP, it's that pets suck.
>>
>>47285322
He's thinking too small. 2 levels in druid lets you get the Giant Wolf Spider, which has 8 limbs, and can therefore grapple 8 different targets, while retaining all monk class features (such as increased movement speed, flurry of blows, etc).
>>
File: ATTENTION DUELISTS.jpg (15KB, 471x357px) Image search: [Google]
ATTENTION DUELISTS.jpg
15KB, 471x357px
Asking for advice.

So one of my players wants to create a character type he's basing on Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh.

Which sounds autistic as fuck, but hear him/me out.

He doesn't want to bollocks about with the card game or the show or anything to do with it beyond the core premise of a character that he was inspired by, by Yugi.

He wanted to adapt the idea of someone being able to summon monsters, but also to have other spells in the way that the duelists in the show have their spell and trap cards

Basically a summoner with options.

How would you best go about creating an approximation to this outside of home-brewing a class, which is too much effort for me to do.

I was thinking a hybrid ranger and wizard, with the ranger spells being summon Animal and Summon Woodland Beings and the wizard spells being the magic missile, fireball and all that jazz.

If you could think of a better way that my half arsed attempt it would be much appreciated
>>
>>47285388
Grappling explicitly needs a free hand.

Spiders don't have hands.
>>
>>47285342
Then I guess my question is:
Why not make the ranger a full martial: give him extra attack(2), and the Hunter features as Class features. Remove favored terrain and replace it with straight up benefits for any terrain. Change favored enemy to be swappable at level ups.
>>
>>47285097
Then outnumbering it is an excellent strategy on their part. To make the encounter more challenging I'd look to make opportunities for the snake to get away, to limit the number of opponents that can deal with it at a time (extremely cramped quarters, crazy-thick underbrush, trees to climb, bogs to traverse, etc).

See if you can make the party have to make hard choices: do we leave Timmy with his foot stuck in the bog or let the snake get a solid lead on us? What if the snake circles back around to get Timmy after we've run off to a distance?

It seems to me that the biggest challenge in hunting giant constrictor is finding it.
>>
Rolled 6, 3, 1, 5, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1, 4, 3, 5, 2, 2, 5, 4, 3, 6, 2, 1 = 62 (20d6)

>>47285388
>go aaracokra
>grapple 4 large creatures
>fly 200 feet into the air using cunning action dash and standard action dash
>drop all 4 creatures for 20d6 bludgeoning damage each
>>
>>47285393
Give that nigga a deck of illusions.
And have him roll an illusion wizard.
Mind crush people, he'll know what that means, and summon fake monsters.
>>
>>47285393
Play a fucking wizard with his spells refluffed to be weeabo trash "summons".

Magic Missile is a Dragon flies out of his palm, and spits three force balls out at his enemies, shield a shield maiden materializes and blocks him for the round, etc...
>>
>>47285408
They did do that in unearthed arcana. They made a magic less ranger and then did a whole ranger rework up to level 5.
>>
>>47285407
Sure they do. They have spider hands. How do you think they grapple things in the wild, and weave intricate webs?
>>
>>47285407
>sticky legs
>>
>>47285458
>up to level 5
>up to level 5
>up to level 5
>up to level 5
>level 5
>>
>>47285460
He hates fun. Nothing you say will change that.
Different strokes.
>>
>>47285388
>inb4 spidermonk is the latest meme build
>>
>>47285506
I'm already writing them into my setting.

Monastic order of part time druids, that take animal based styles super seriously, because whenever someone does "spider style" or "crane style", they transform into the creature in question.
>>
>>47285388
Grapple is an opposed Strength (Athletics) roll. You have +1 Str and no training in Athletics as a spider.
Good luck!
Even if I let you add your Prof. bonus to the roll you are going to suck big time.
>>
>>47285473
It's not like your campaign will last longer than that. Out of the eight or so campaigns I've played only 2 of them got past level 5 starting from before level 5. If it gets that far just sit with your DM and you two can figure it out
>>
File: 1462415277487.jpg (306KB, 763x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1462415277487.jpg
306KB, 763x1000px
>>47285408
>Change favored enemy to be swappable at long rests.
>>
>>47285533
Actually played a monk just like this.
It was a blast. Had a great DM that rolled with it and loved every minute of it.
>>
>>47285536
If the monk is proficient in athletics as a humanoid, he's proficient in athletics as a wildshaped anything. Read the rules of wild shape. It isn't an "if I let you".

Though I'm being serious about this, I'd probably take a couple levels in rogue to get expertise as well.
>>
>>47285460
>>47285462

spiders have sticky webs and pedipalps. they can stick to their web and their web can stick to something else. They have two opposing forelimbs in front of their face that can grab something. their legs are not sticky. their website are sticky and they are able to climb due to their surface area and Van der Waals forces. They can grab something else by wrapping their legs around it but then they couldn't climb and wouldn't move as quickly.
>>
>>47285600
If you want to go grappling bards are pretty good. Expertise and Bard Inspiration with College of Valor means their opposing checks can turn to shit.
>>
>>47285558
>It's not like your campaign will last longer than that.
Uh.

>Out of the eight or so campaigns I've played only 2 of them got past level 5 starting from before level 5.
>i can't do it so u cant eithr!!
>>
>>47285611
I stick some web on my leg to make it sticky, then put whatever gets grappled in a leg lock.
>>
>That DM who doesn't allow RAW.
>>
>>47285600
Also the only thing that the enemy needs to undo your grapple is to hit you like once. After that you revert to a monk.
>>
>>47285657
Bro-tier DM. Shine on, you crazy diamond!
>>
>>47285612
I thought about it. Bards are probably the best grappling class overall, but the problem is that'd make the monk/druid hybrid need a third decently high stat in charisma. I guess you don't really need dexterity, since you'll always be using the dexterity of the beast form.

>>47285674
That's true regardless of grappling build. The enemy can always make a shove attack to knock the grappler away, and thus break the grapple.
>>
>>47285648

But then it's not grappling. It's the spider web DC. A spider could theoretically grapple 2 or 3 things using its opposing limbs. You could have a dozen foes stuck to you, but their attacks or attempts to escape would make any more than a normal grappled amount would be difficult.
>>
>>47285616
Well if you think its so easy how much experience have you had getting past level 5. People just drop from campaigns and interest is lost.
>>
>>47285700
A leg lock is grappling anon.
>>
>>47285699
Not that anon, but shoving away an Athletics-focused player character may be significantly more difficult than doing "squish a spider" damage. Especially considering how few critters in the Monster Manual are proficient in Athletics.
>>
>>47285674
You say this like it's more fun to play THE BEST character, than it is to play an interesting character.
Powergamers and number crunchers get fucked. I prefer PCs like spidermonk guy to those who have optimized the most effective build.
In fact I'd throw small horses of goblins at you just to see you grab them all.
>>
>>47285711
My first campaign went to level 8 and is currently on the backburner, although I don't want to play with that DM anymore because >>47284886

I'm in another campaign now that is just about at level 5.
>>
>>47285700
Oh yeah once you grapple just use web on them. Then they have to escape the web and your grapple.
>>
>>47285740
This.

>I need to be the best at everything
Wrong.
>I want to play X archetype/silly idea, and want to be the best X I can be
Right.
>>
>>47281969
i agree with this anon
>>
>>47285758
You can't cast while in spider wildshape
>>
>>47285584
That's...not really a favored enemy, then.
>>
>>47285757
Good, my first campaign broke apart so I've been trying to find parties that actually want to stick together. Just hope you don't have to go hunting for more parties.
>>
>>47285758
RAW, the wolf spider doesn't have any ability to make webs. But as a DM I'd let the player do it. DC would be equal to either their druid or their monk spell save DC, which is probably the same number anyways.

Spidermonk is fun.
>>
leaving this here for the anon who requested the "hp lovecraft" pdf in the last general
>>
>>47285737
>>47285758

If a spider can grapple more than 2 things a human can
>>
>>47285757
Shouldn`t you have had advantage at least for being in your favored terrain? Also 8 fucking hours for a single check is indeed a bit much.
>>
>>47285796
Thank god spiders can actually web things then, cause they have a web ability. Cause they are spiders.
>>
>>47285740
As much as I find charop enthusiasts to be super-obnoxious when they go down exotic RAW-rabbit-holes, I think it's non-controversial to say that having an interesting character does not necessarily mean having a weak character, and having a strong character does not necessarily mean having a boring character. Mechanics and style overlap a bit, but only a bit.

Of course, a lot of folks seem to think that some ham-fisted gimmick makes a character "interesting," and that's sad.
>>
>>47285801
Think of it more like prepared enemy. The ranger has this big book of knowledge about fighting all sorts of dudes. They know what plants are poisonous to them, etc. So on their long rest, they go out and find all of them, coat their swords in oils and whatnot.

This is sort of like playing geralt instead of aragorn.
>>
>>47285811
Why? Humans only have two human hands.
>>
>>47285758
>>47285739
>>47285737
>>47285648

And especially
>>47285700

And double especially
>>47285611
>their legs are not sticky
>Actions: Sticky Leg
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/errata-may-2016

>further errata to MM and DMG
>errata for HotDQ and PotA, along with the EEPC

Also the SRD has been updated to include missing spells like Eldritch Blast and such.

I'll throw the new versions up in the Mega shortly.
>>
>>47285740
>>47285764
Look man, I'm not saying I'm not going to let you play you weird-ass spider-monk. What I'm saying is that don't ask for AC bumps that the druid can easily abuse. In short: you can play an unoptimised character, but don't come crying to me when your more competently built comrades outlive you.
Alternatively you can convince everyone to bring underpowered fun, and then you don't have to worry. But don't ask me to undermine the others' fun when not everybody has the same idea of fun as you.
>>
File: 5e_MM_Giant-Wolf-Spider.png (465KB, 468x800px) Image search: [Google]
5e_MM_Giant-Wolf-Spider.png
465KB, 468x800px
>>47285829
I don't know if I did or not. Doesn't change that fact that it was one 6-second check for a 21,600-second period of time.

>>47285831
Except they fucking don't.
>>
>>47285835
Thhhhpppp. I don't like this idea, not the least of which because I have no strong opinions on The Witcher and so don't feel any need to make the Ranger class into Gerald The Guy I Don't Care About.
>>
>>47285833
Depends on how ham-fisted the gimmick is. Of course it varies from player to player as well.

The ideal situation is an interesting and strong character. But it also depends on the kind of game the DM is running. There's so many variables at play here.

As a general rule though, it's a fucking imaginary fantasy game. If everyone is having fun (included me), I allow all sorts of dumb shit to pass.
>>
>>47283881
Well, the ten times rather than ten minutes was kinda b.s., but I think ruling that casting a ritual spell like that while moving on fucking spiderback requires a check is a reasonable decision.
>>
>>47285929
>I don't like this idea, not the least of which because I have no strong opinions on The Witcher and so don't feel any need to make the Ranger class into Gerald
wat
>>
>>47285849

Humans can leg lock, which is what a spider would do if it grappled, rather than sticking to something.

A human can coat itself in adhesive or wear hooks or nets. I think spider grappling is fine, but everything else follows. It could work but not in a practical or probable sense.
>>
>>47284778
>Taking credit for that
Kill yourself. Even without access to magic, I think you can manage it.
>>
>>47285973
If a human equipped themselves with boot hooks, I'd totally let them grapple with their feet too.

The way I see it: Spider has sticky legs, and the ability to leg lock.

Humans only initially have the ability to leg lock. They've still got to make the initial attack, and without boothooks (or similar, I think feet are disqualified from it.
>>
>>47285971
I have no strong opinions on The Witcher. I played a bit of the first game and didn't find it interesting, and nothing in subsequent games has made me want to play them.

I was never a fan of dark fantasy to begin with, anyway. Dragon Age in its various iterations utterly failed to do anything for me as well, for example.

And for the record, this isn't a gameplay issue, it's a setting/mood issue. Dark fantasy just doesn't entice me.
>>
>>47285872
> Urr, this entry sez spidurs have sticky legs
No, it says Steeders have sticky legs.

If you're going to be a pedantic asshat and split hairs so the argument falls your way, at least put some goddamn heart into it.
>>
>>47285946
>10 hour casting time instead of the 1hr(+10min) it was supposed to be
>kinda b.s.

>riding on a mount at walking pace
>equivalent to being hit by a 2-ton wave on a ship in the middle of a shitstorm
Ok.
>>
>>47285927
If you are wild shaping why don't you use the CR1 Giant Spider? Has everything that spider has plus web.
>>
>>47285929
...Because you already had such strong opinions about Aragorn and Drizzt?
>>
>>47283917
Damn it, I thought that was background Slav, for a second. I got all excited.
>>
>>47286028
>HRUAIWEHIASL URRRR ASHUHURURR R
>THIS IS YOU XD

Great argument. I know its hard for you autismos to refrain from being butthurt when you're proven wrong, but at least try not to post about how butthurt you are, okay?

Tell me, why would someone who wants to wildshape into a spider and grapple and who specifically refers to the Sticky Leg feature of the Steeder that is not a feature of other spiders try to argue that all spiders have Sticky Leg? Remember, try to reply without slamming your autismo ham fists into the keyboard this time.

You can do it!
>>
>>47286035
>Magical ritual should be the same as ordering pizza on my fucking cell phone
Ok.
>>
>>47285388
A wildshaping monk subclass would be a pretty cool

Not sure how'd work though. Obviously not at the same rate as Druids, but it at least deserves to reach CR 3
>>
>>47286099
Wait, it isn't? Fuck. Now I have to make one.
>>
File: spider.png (125KB, 1845x1031px) Image search: [Google]
spider.png
125KB, 1845x1031px
>>47286111
That's what the rulebook says you fucking moron. If you don't wan to follow the rules then just make your players Concentration check every minute to combat the rampant ADHD that they suffer in common with you.

>>47286037
pic related
>>
>>47286106
> Y U SPERG THO
> explosively spergs everywhere
K.
>>
>>47286079
Well, stronger than for Gerald, anyway, yes. Also add in Robin Hood and Jack the Giant Killer.

The Ranger needs help, but I don't like the idea of fundamentally altering not only how Favored Enemy works mechanically (which is fine, it does need work - I'd personally go for the simple-but-effective Proficiency bonus to attack and damage rolls against favored enemies), but also altering what it's even supposed to represent in-game, which is an immense amount of time dedicated to hunting a given enemy.

Not to mention it creates a verisimilitude problem for me: why does the Ranger favor giants one day but dragons the next? How come he forgot everything he knew about giants simply by sleeping?

The idea of him going out and finding oils or poisons doesn't work because it begs the question why Gerald can't give these poisons and such to the party's Rogue and Paladin. If he CAN, on the other hand, it means that a party is only ever a long rest away from having what amounts to Bane weapons to use against known boss monsters.
>>
File: CimXLG_UYAAgt7f.jpg (98KB, 1024x838px) Image search: [Google]
CimXLG_UYAAgt7f.jpg
98KB, 1024x838px
https://twitter.com/NathanBStewart/status/732282645049016320

Would you buy officially-branded 5e dice?
>>
>>47286243
¿Cuánto cuesta, por favor?
>>
>>47286113
I think you could get away with it by letting them wildshape into limited forms, at the cost of ki.

So they might pick up one style of their choice at level 3, and then one more at each subsequent level. But they can only ever wildshape into styles or forms they've chosen. Not everything they've seen, like a druid.
>>
>>47286243
I got a pound of dice from Chessex for about £15 ages ago and have never needed more since. In fact I have too many. Why the fuck would I buy these?
>>
>>47286144
Slav
Skill proficiencies: Intimidation, Survival
Tool proficiencies: Brewer's supplies, one type of gaming set
Equipment: a set of common (adidas) clothing, a club, one sack of sunflower seeds, a pouch containing 15 gp.
Rustic Hospitality: as Folk Hero, but it only works with other Slavs. (Fortunately Slavs are everywhere.)
>>
So I got an elephant in-game recently, and I'm curious about how the rest of you work with that to make it fair and reasonable.
So far I've made the daily feed cost 25cp, but we've been on the road and haven't had to stable it or anything else, yet.
Would selling its manure be a good idea to make back some money on it?
>>
>>47286234
Oh man, I really thought you could do it if you tried. Shame! You didn't even manage to answer the question. Looks like you hamfisted your keyboard and got too distracted to remember. You're welcome to try again!
>>
>>47286201
At level 2 Circle of the Moon Druids can wild shape into CR1 creatures. They ignore th1/4 CR limit land Druids have
>>
>>47286340
>Rustic Hospitality: as Folk Hero, but it only works with other Slavs. (Fortunately Slavs are everywhere.)
small chance they might just try to fight you instead though
>>
>>47286316
Feel like I'd personally drop the ki cost for changing form and instead apply it to additional abilities that can be used while 'shaped.

Not that your idea is bad, just feel like the only-chosen-forms component is limited enough, assuming you're also porting the Druid's limit on shapes per rest.
>>
>>47286380
Go away, grapplefag. You weren't right this time, you weren't right last time, you've never been right any of the other times.

Begging anons for screencaps of the PHB doesn't count as reading the book.

> le Aaracokra barbroguedrood grappel 8 times while flying XDone
>>
>>47286357
25 cp is lowballing it. An elephant eats between 200 and 600 pounds worth of food per day; if we assume 400 is average, and assuming that its cost per pound is the same as hose feed, it should actually be 2 gp per day.

Pocket change to an adventurer, of course, but it can definitely add up, and simply finding a supply large enough is going to be hard.

Oh, also they drink up to 50 gallons worth of water per day as well, or about as much as a typical bathtub can hold.
>>
>>47286521
Not him, but I also imagine an elephant can carry quite a bit more than a donkey or horse. You could potentially count on the party for additional upkeep support, or offer freight services as you travel.
>>
>>47285611
>implying spiders don't have tiny hands at the end of their legs
>>
File: 5e_OotA_Weapons_Derro-Weapons.png (502KB, 547x477px) Image search: [Google]
5e_OotA_Weapons_Derro-Weapons.png
502KB, 547x477px
Have this image describing two officially published weapons: Hooked Shortspear (martial melee) and Repeating Crossbow (simple ranged)

Ask your DM to use them and enjoy!

>>47286479
>You weren't right this time, you weren't right last time, you've never been right any of the other times.
>"You weren't right...you weren't right... you've never been right..."
Okay, anon. Keep telling yourself that.

>more hamfisting
I can see that I've upset you again. Why don't you go and sit in your quiet space and count to 100? That usually makes you feel better doesn't it?

Is there anything I can clear up for you? It seems you don't have access to any of the rule manuals; ask away and I'll do my best to find the answer for you!
>>
>>47286406
Only if they find out that you are a different kind of Slav tho.

Also it needs more fluff. What I have:
Personality Traits:
Whenever give a chance, I always squat.
I constantly eat sunflower seeds
Cyka Blyat

Ideals:
I want to unite every Slav under the Sun. (Lawful Good)
Remove Kebab (Also Lawful Good)

Bonds:
I love my family and mamushka more than anything
My country is the best country ever.

Flaws:
I'm constantly drunk
I provoke fights with everyone
I try not to mug you, but it's so hard!
>>
>>47286394
Oh hey. My bad. Original spidermonk poster here.

That opens up the steeder, which gives you some hilarious moves:

>sticky leg someone, then jump 90 feet, drop them, and slowfall.
>>
>>47286608
Where is slowfall coming from?
>>
>>47284665
I recommend just taking chill touch anyway so you can hit two dudes with it
>>
>>47286561
>but I also imagine an elephant can carry quite a bit more than a donkey or horse

Well, they're Huge, which means they can carry x4 as much as Medium creature with the same Strength score. I'd also personally allow them to carry four times as much on top of that due to being quadrupeds.

So with a Strength of 22, a Medium biped can carry 330 lbs. (22 x 15). So the quadruped Medium creature of this can carry 1,320 lbs. (330 x 4). Then since the Elephant is Huge, it can carry 5,280 lbs (1320 x 4).

That's a max load, of course, and an elephant probably shouldn't make a habit of carrying that much at a time.
>>
>>47286649
monk
>>
>>47286649
this entire discussion is about the monk using monk features while transformed with the druid wildshape.

Some nofun DM decided that even though RAW you get access to class features while wildshaped, a wildshaped monk wouldn't get unarmored defense, and now people are exploring fun things you can do while wildshaped as a monk to spite the misguided nofuns among us.
>>
>>47286649
It's a monk feature already, anon.
>>
>>47286673
That's 2 and a half tons, though. You don't need to be carrying that much to make money off it.

...Shit, if I were the DM, there'd be an opportunity for a stagecoach session coming up.
>>
>>47286713
It's exactly as RAW as Cone of Cold horse tho.
>>
File: tunnelfighter.png (24KB, 460x232px) Image search: [Google]
tunnelfighter.png
24KB, 460x232px
>>47282003
>>47282030
>>47282059
>get back from work expecting to have to call >>47281936 a faggot again after he inevitably replies
>even more idiots who didn't get it are now arguing with a guy who did get it and crying samefag
Holy shit, you glorious bunch of retards.

I wasn't talking "my" homebrew. I wasn't misinterpreting the rules. I was simply stating that if there were a future class feature, be it official or homebrew or whatever the fuck, that allowed someone else to act outside of their turn without burning a reaction, it would also allow for Sneak Attack. If you somehow read that post and took it to mean "you can act outside of your turn without using a reaction as the rules currently stand (using this feature that hasn't been named)", you're an idiot and arguing over a point that you made up yourself.

If I had instead said, "if you make multiple attacks of opportunity outside of your turn, each of them can apply Sneak Attack damage provided they are triggered by different enemies' turns," would you have also gotten your autism up over breaking your precious two-sneaks-per-round-only rule? Hey, guess what? If you're using the Underdark UA and Tunnel Fighter, in a fight against eight enemies, you could potentially Sneak Attack TEN FUCKING TIMES.

Instead we've got this dumb motherfucker >>47281805 >>47281902 >>47281936 crying about ESL when he's the one who was clearly born in Paraguay. I don't care that this argument was over, you're still a monstrous faggot, and one of you twits needs to get your samefag detector checked.
>>
>>47286784
No it isn't. Class features carry over into wildshape. Multiclassing is a valid option. This is not outlandish at all.
>>
>>47286713
Nitpicking, I know, but the disagreement was over Martial Arts, not UD.

I think the consensus on UD was that it doesn't stack with natural armor, but you can use it if it's higher than your shape's AC. In this churn of faggotry, though, who the fuck knows.
>>
>>47286814
I don't see how this has anything to do with using your bonus action to MOVE, or how using your bonus action to MOVE would let you use a reaction twice in a round.

Also, Tunnel Fighter is the most broken part of UA ever released.
>>
File: quarterstaff is a monk weapon.gif (2MB, 352x263px) Image search: [Google]
quarterstaff is a monk weapon.gif
2MB, 352x263px
>>47284441
>bears can't do martial arts
Get out. Not only are you wrong, you're un-fun.
>>
File: retard.jpg (42KB, 464x157px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
42KB, 464x157px
>>47286815
Anon, animals are physically incapable of using human martial arts.
>>
>>47286907
my monk trained in spider and bear martial arts from a young age.
>>
>>47286919
And your wizard invented gunpowder.
>>
>>47286907
see >>47286903
>>
>>47286940
cannons are around in the standard setting. We've already got black powder.
>>
>>47286907
>filename
hahahaha

If the creature is bipedal, why not?
>>
>>47286940
Don't be ridiculous. My alchemist invented gunpowder. And then promptly disregarded it because it wasn't a way to turn lead into gold.
>>
Is it just me or are a bunch of the links on the May errata link broken? Looks like the Compendium link is to an older version too/
>>
>>47286990
>spiders
>bipedal
anon, I...

Also different skeletons, different sizes in muscle groups, etc.

>>47286983
Way to attack the actual argument, bro.
>>
>>47287049
You were making an argument?
>>
>>47286896
Oh my god, is this whole shitfit based on the word "move"? I couldn't even fucking conceive that someone would be so dense as to get stuck on that.

It's the fucking colloquial "move", as in, "It's your move, Ted." You know, your "go," turn (HOLY SHIT NOT YOUR ACTUAL TURN-AS-IN-THE-GAME-TERM, RETARD), chance to act, regardless of whether or not you move. If you're this pedantic, I'm not sure how you survive discussions where people are talking about attacks that aren't part of the Attack action.

You're telling me that if I had written "make a melee weapon attack against an enemy in range" instead of "move" you or whoever the fuck would have figured out it was a hypothetical and not started this bitchfest to begin with?

Christ.
>>
>>47287049
>>spiders
>>bipedal
Did I say spider anywhere in my post?

>>47287049
>Also different skeletons, different sizes in muscle groups, etc.
Sure, but... are you really going to be that DM? I don't know if the monk abilities+bear unarmed strikes would OP or anything, but if not, it seems harmless enough to allow.
>>
>>47286907
>human martial arts
Where does the Martial Arts feature specify that you need to be a human to use them, be trained in a Human school of fighting (are all Elven monks using techniques derived thousands of years ago by a human?), or have a humanoid physiology?
>>
File: 1456756007326.png (624KB, 722x525px) Image search: [Google]
1456756007326.png
624KB, 722x525px
>>47282743
Oh no, I was proven wrong. Quick call him an autist, that will show him.
not the Anon that refuted your ridiculous claims concerning grapple/pin. just an Anon who's sick of faggots calling people autists for possessing basic reading comprehension skills.
>>
>>47287067
Yes. I was
>I won't accept your special snowflake backstory because it would mean I have to accept every retarded special snowflake backstory.
>>
I'm doing a dirty fighting bounty hunter style rogue in my new campaign coming up (obviously taking tavern brawler). I'm already loading up on caltrops, ball bearings, pocket sand, traps, etc. What are some [s] other ways to fuck up my action efficiency [/s] dirty tactics i could pull in combat.
>>
>>47287074
If you had used the game terms consistent with their game definitions when discussing game rules? In other words, if you had been not retarded?

yeah, I would have left it alone, because there would have been no need to correct a confusing mess of a post.
>>
>>47287107
It's been his modus for a dozen threads now, Anon. Don't bother.
>>
>>47287114
Okay, then it isn't in my backstory. I started as druid at level 1, and then spent all my time training in my druid forms for martial arts techniques, and now reflect that by taking monk levels from level 3 onward.
>>
>>47287084
As I already explained I'm not worried about the monk abusing this ruling, but the druid. On a druid monk AC would be OP.
>>
>>47287084
Naturally, you don't the bear's (or whatever creature) stat block attacks as your Martial Arts moves. Those attacks can have ABs that don't follow the proficiency or attack stat modifiers of the creature and occasionally apply additional effects. When you see a critter with 14 Strength and Dex has a Stomp that's +5 to hit and a Kick that's +6, it's clear these aren't running off stats and should be treated as something like weapons (which you are always armed with, even though you are unarmed).

Just take whatever stat you want to attack with (Str/Dex since you've got MA), add proficiency, and make an attack at that AB with your Martial Arts die for damage+stat mod. If at any point you want to sub in one of the creature's "weapon" attacks, go ahead, but know that it won't trigger something like Flurry of Blows (which require you to hit with a monk weapon, which your monster weapon is not, even if it is logically an unarmed blow).

Really hard to abuse that way. Making MA unarmed attacks as a creature will probably actually be worse than doing it in your human form, because your stats will tend to be lower.
>>
>>47287172
Good luck finding someone to teach you animal martial arts.
>>
>>47287107
Except, nah, if you could grasp basic reading comprehension, you'd be able to infer that the autism attribution was linked to
>you're wrong, you're wrong, YOU'RE WRONG!

>>47287159
I see you've calmed down. Did some breathing exercises? Feeling better? Great to have you back.
>>
>>47287205
Where do you think humans learned Bear Style to begin with?

You know all those Monkey Fists and Tiger Styles and Crane Stance things going on in various martial arts? There's Bear Styles, too.
>>
>>47287147
Please adopt a trip so I can pay special attention to all your posts for "confusing" verbiage and do my best to misinterpret everything you write like an actual retard.
>>
>>47287185
>On a druid monk AC would be OP.
Normally against this kind of shittery, but it really isn't.

Wis + Dex is negligibly better than Dex + natural armor in beast form, and is frankly a completely reasonable thing for a land Druid to pursue as well.
>>
>>47287249
Not gonna let you develop a martial art in the span of 3 levels, just as I won't allow the wizard to develop a new spell in the same time interval.
>>
>>47286144
Are we going to have to brew up the official /tg/-brand super-racist list of variant humans and backgrounds?
>>
>>47287290
Who said anything about developing? I just explained how it would be pre-developed. Clearly, human(oid)s learned all martial arts from animals to begin with. Animals are the ur-monks.
>>
>>47287222
You know, you've come a long way from your episodes where someone would be mean to you on the internet and could expect to be treated to an unintelligible rant about penises and weightlifting.

I miss your old material.
>>
>>47287287
Don't you think full casters are a bit overpowered before this bullshit is applied, tho? Like I said, if the martial-caster disparity went the other way around, I wouldn't be against the idea, but as things are, I don't need any more ways to turn druids into one of the best classes in the system.
>>
>>47287350
>I don't need any more ways to turn druids into one of the best classes in the system
You really think it's gonna make that much of a difference, feel free to not allow it.

The average player is not the minmaxing shitstain you seem to be expecting, anon.
>>
>>47287273
no.

>>47287290
I used to be like you as a DM. Overly concerned with balance. Then I realized that letting the players have their silly builds is fine, because I can just balance it by turning their silly builds against them.

Though your contention that giving the druid an AC boost if they sacrifice druid levels for monk is unbalanced is hilarious.

anyways, as a DM, I'd let my player train at a shapeshifting druid/monk school. Actually that sounds cool as fuck. if they weren't in the setting, I'd invent some spider/bear spirit animal that trains the PC for them.

And then for enemies, I'd give the PC monks that were trained by the spider/bear's natural predators.
>>
>>47287322
As I said good luck finding someone to teach it to you.
Yes, it will be a quest. No, won't involve level-appropriate encounters until you are in the endgame.
>>
>>47287396
absolutely disgusting. Apply yourself.
>>
>>47287324
>unintelligible rant about penises and weightlifting.
Got anything to substantiate that? I have literally no idea what you're talking about; sounds silly.

>I'll speak condescendingly to him! That'll show him!
Wanna try just speaking like a normal, respectful person this time? Please do, it's much more pleasant.
>>
>>47287393
>bear's natural predators.
What, fucking tuberculosis?
>>
>>47287350
Druids being powerful is a problem with the way wild shape HP works, not with the AC of forms. It's not like a creature's AC is going to be higher than a straight Monk's anyway, since it's not like the MM is full of beasts with 18+ Dex. You're not adding your Dex and Wis to the creature's AC, if that's what you're thinking; you can either take their AC calculation and leave your Wis out of it (regardless of whether or not their AC happens to equal 10+their dex) or use Unarmored Defense's 10+Dex+Wis.
>>
>>47287455
I was thinking hunters with guns. So obviously gun kata monks.
>>
>>47287393
>I can just balance it by turning their silly builds against them
This probably comes across as pettier than you mean it, but in case it's not, you're a little bitch.
>>
>>47287084

>not allowing something that is blatantly stupid, rule bending, and physically impossible is being "that DM"

I think you got it wrong champ.

Mechanically, it doesn't work with the rules. It feels like it's fishing for a reason to be able to Flurry of Bear Mauls.

And as for not allowing it being played, well "Animal-form martial artist" is incredibly stupid "that guy" level character concept that shows just enough understanding of the material to think of some stupid mishmash of stuff and then insist it should work despite:
>animal form not working like that
>martial arts not working like that
>neither ability being mechanically able to be used with each other.

RP-wise it feels like just a veiled attempt to make an asshole-tier joke character (LOL I MADE A DRUID THAT TURNS INTO A MARTIAL ARTIST BEAR). Just go rewatch Kung-Fu panda and get it out of your system.

Or use your common sense and ask if you can be a WoW-style pandaren race and just play a bearperson monk instead of shitting all over the systems for the sake of a joke.
>>
>>47287387
>>47287393
I just have a few players, who would jump on the opportunity to make this OMGWTF BEST BUILD EVER.

Also if I want to play something silly, I'd choose a system which is much more open to that, then DnD. Just as I wouldn't run horror games in DnD.
>>
>>47287489
look at the example later: the spider monk might run into i don't know, parasitic mind control wasp monks later on that use the same mechanic of unarmored defense while transformed.
>>
God damnit I just wanted to ask about Mage armor and wild shape and this is what happens.
>>
>>47287481
Monk weapons are any simple melee weapons without two-handed or heavy properties. Guns are straight out, since they're ranged, even if you're attacking with them in melee.
>>
>>47287502
>RP-wise it feels like just a veiled attempt to make an asshole-tier joke character (LOL I MADE A DRUID THAT TURNS INTO A MARTIAL ARTIST BEAR). Just go rewatch Kung-Fu panda and get it out of your system.
Fucking lol

Like I said, I'm not overly familiar with the rules for druid and monk so I'm asking questions as opposed to asserting points.
>>
>>47287503
> It's Silly
> D&D isn't silly
Somebody's never been to Krynn.
>>
>>47287502
>fishing for a reason to be able to Flurry of Bear Mauls
But >>47287199
>>
>>47287529
>>47283626
Literally hundreds of posts arguing about it.
>I never wanted this
Classic.
>>
File: memes.png (66KB, 661x716px) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
66KB, 661x716px
>>47287503
my players have only ever played DnD, and they've assassinated enemies by flying above them and then gigadropping a giant polymorphed ape on top of them from 200 feet in the air.

This is an inherently silly system.

>>47287529
>>
>>47287529
Hey, it's been pretty civil, and shapeshifting monks can be a great idea, even if not as DnD PCs.
>>
>>47280085
Thief with Healer feat, being rogue doctor is cool.
>>
>>47287503
You're playing a game where one of the greatest wizards of all time was an eight-year-old named MELF and Mordenkainen wasn't allowed to have friends unless their names ended in -igby.
>>
Didn't you guys use to have a MEGA with all the new releases? Anywhere I can find a list (just the names) of the new books with classes and class options in them?
>>
>>47287548
>>47287581
Not saying that DnD can't be silly, I'm saying that there are better systems for silly, and if I want silly, I'll use those.
>>
>>47287350
of a full caster multis into monk, they arent a full caster anymore.

theyre going to be a worse druid, forever, with delayed spell progression, all to get their wis mod to their AC. its a fair trade off imo.
>>
>>47287630
I don't think that a druid, who runs around in Wild Shape whenever he can will use enough magic that this delay will matter.
>>
>>47287670
>>
>>47287625
You mean the mega that's the first link in the opening post? Because that's all the D&D books and Unearthed Arcanas and the like that've been put out so far.
>>
Rolled 1 + 5 (1d6 + 5)

>>47287592
>not Arcane Trickster with Healer feat
>give everyone a healing kit
>heal 1d6+4+(#ofhitdice)HP
>stabilize a creature and restore 1HP
>choose any permutation of the above two options to fit {a, b}
>perform a and b both in one turn from a range of 30 feet
>>
>>47287708
Oh shit, I missed it because the title wasn't greentext'd.

Sorry!
>>
>>47287708
>>47287733
And thank you!
>>
>>47287467
In fact, there are only two Beasts in the MM with a Dex of 18 and none that are higher.
Flying Snake (18 Dex, 5 HP)
Giant Poisonous Snake (18 Dex, 11 HP)
So those are your options for AC cheesing as a Druid/Monk. Congrats. You've got 19 AC and get popped out of your form in a single hit.
>>
>>47287503
>I just have a few players, who would jump on the opportunity to make this OMGWTF BEST BUILD EVER
And they'd be wrong. It's not as good in practice as it is when theorycrafters fling shit at eachother on the internet.

Let's assume you start at level 3. You started as a druid, and so did another guy. You both go Moon.

He advances normally, but you decide to multiclass monk so you can be Juan Panchbear. You take Monk 1 at level 4; you now benefit from the Martial Arts and Unarmored Defense (monk) features, while your fellow player gets an ASI, a cantrip, a 2nd-level spell slot, and can now swim while wild shaped. If you choose to take a second Monk level at 5, you have Ki at the expense of 2 3rd level spell slots.

As far as I'm concerned, that's more-or-less a wash, but while Ki might be worth the buy, 1 level of monk isn't really: if you're going brown bear, you'll still be using Str for your attacks (+0 Dex -- good luck with that) and have an AC of 15 tops (and probably not even) at level 4. On top of that, the Martial Arts damage die gets you fuck all, because you can already multiattack with bigger dice as-is. Another D4 won't be tipping the scale there.
>>
>>47287679
you're delaying your animal transformations also....
>>
>>47281755

Once per turn.
Once per short rest.
Once per day.

The use of sneak attack refreshes when you get to act again. You can't sneak attack on reaction.
>>
>>47286331
Well, because chessex dice are shite to begin with and pound of dice are the dice that don't meet whatever little quality control they have
>>
>>47289406
You actually can, it was stated by Crawford himself.
>>
>>47289695
I'll take what the rules say over what some individual dev says. You'll have a case once it's errata'd. Before that, your interpretation is as good as anyone else's.
>>
>>47289712
I think you might be an idiot. Like there's no way to convey the rule to you despite that it is explicitly written "Once per turn" and a turn is separate from a round.

You win the idiot of the thread award.
>>
>>47289793

Yes, the ability refreshes when the rogue gets a new turn, just like an item recovers charges when a new day dawns.

If it was once per round, a rogue could use sneak attack after the round is over (ie the last actor in the initiative order has finished his turn and the first actor gets a new turn). But that's retarded, and it amounts to more or less the same thing.
>>
>>47289852
>If it was once per round, a rogue could use sneak attack after the round is over. But that's retarded, and it amounts to more or less the same thing.
Huh?

That's the way it is with 1/turn. Only under the circumstance that an enemy triggers an attack of opportunity or the fighter gives the rogue a commander's strike will the rogue get to SA twice per round.
>>
>>47289712
Official Rulings
Official rulings on how to interpret unclear rules are made in Sage Advice. The public statements of the D&D team, or anyone else at Wizards of the Coast, are not official rulings; they are advice. One exception: the game’s rules manager, Jeremy Crawford @JeremyECrawford), can make official rulings and usually does so in Sage Advice.
>>
>>47289911

>That's the way it is with 1/turn. Only under the circumstance that an enemy triggers an attack of opportunity or the fighter gives the rogue a commander's strike will the rogue get to SA twice per round.

1/turn means the ability refreshes when the rogue gets a new turn.

1/round means the ability refreshes when a new round starts.

The trigger which refreshes the ability is clear: gaining a new round.

If sneak attack refreshed twice, it would be worded like this: Once per turn, and once per round, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

That wording would mean that the rogue can use one sneak attack per round (action) and one per turn (reaction).

As it is currently written, it means the rogue can only use one sneak attack per turn.
>>
>>47290021
That's not what it means though. 1/turn means it refreshes every turn, whether it's the Rogue's turn or someone else's.
>>
>>47290021
Yes once per turn. On his turn or on somebody elses. There are that many turns in a round as there are combatants.
>>
>>47290059
>>47290061
What, rogues have legendary actions now?
>>
>>47290021
>>47290081

You're literally too stupid to understand basic english. Too unintelligent.

You used intelligence as a dump stat. Your Intelligence score is 8.
>>
>>47290081
No, that's just how Sneak Attack, or any other ability that is 1/turn works.

Version 1.07
@2016 Wizards of the Coast LLC. Permission granted to print and photocopy this document for personal use only.

Page 3
The Sneak Attack description specifies that you can use the feature once per turn, but it’s not limited to your turn. The feature also doesn’t limit the number of times you can use it
in a round.
This rule is relevant because you sometimes get a chance to use Sneak Attack on someone else’s turn. The most common way for this to happen is when a foe provokes an opportunity attack from you. If the requirements for Sneak
Attack are met, your opportunity attack can benefit from that feature. Similarly, a fighter could use Commander’s Strike to grant you an attack on the fighter’s turn, and if the attack qualifies, it can use Sneak Attack. Both of those options rely on your reaction, so you could do only one of them in a round.
Because of getting only one reaction per round, you’re unlikely to use Sneak Attack more than twice in a round: once with your action and once with your reaction.
>>
>>47290118
>>47290081
This anon is correct, also, legendary actions happen BETWEEN turns. you nincanpoop.
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.