[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT We list things we will never let anyone run >wild magic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 48

ITT
We list things we will never let anyone run
>wild magic sorcerer
>divination wizard
>character under age 15
>>
>>47154206
>character under age 15

Looks like you won't be able to play yourself, then
>>
>>47154206
>any tiny race like pixies or cats or imps

Just keep everyone in the general humanoid size category.
>>
Sacred geometry.
>>
>divination wizard
Oh no! He has an extra True Strike!
>>
File: Awesome Jazz Group.gif (62KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome Jazz Group.gif
62KB, 500x375px
>>47154206

Why do you hate fun, OP?
>>
>>47154206
>Kender
>Intelligent animal
>Robots and Species without physical needs in fantasy
>mute or blind characters only as special exception on a case by case basis

>>47154257
and this
>>
>>47154595
>but m-muh fun...

Shut up. Shut the fuck up. You don't get to fuck up someone's hard work and claim that it's okay because it's "fun." Shitting all over a campaign with your stupid bullshit character isn't fun for anyone except you, you ADD riddled stupid asshole fuckface. I curse you, your family, and your cows. All of them.
>>
>>47154206

Monks and ninjas because banning them in Euro-mediƦval-flavored fantasy pisses off the hipsters.
>>
>>47154885
I Played a Chaos Sorcerer. It went better than expected.
>>
File: cyril methodius.jpg (161KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
cyril methodius.jpg
161KB, 500x375px
>>47154898
>Euro-mediƦval-flavored fantasy
>banning monks
>>
>>47154885
>muh holy untouchable campaign
As a forever DM: fuck off. If your campaign doesn't adapt to your players, it's a shit campaign and you're a shit DM.
>>
>>47154885
Now tell that to the person who traumatized you, not to us anons. Unless that person is Whitey Bulger.
>>
File: acomediandiedinnewyork.gif (5MB, 320x170px) Image search: [Google]
acomediandiedinnewyork.gif
5MB, 320x170px
>>47154885
>>
>>47154898
>cant play a pugilist prior

>ninja
>literally just an asian word for a concept that was also in place in yurup
Do you also ban youxia?
>>
>>47154960

Well the thing is monks being good is a lot more fantastical than it sounds like he wants his setting to be
>>
The only things I'd outright ban are obvious fetish stuff in inappropriate games.

Everything else deserves consideration on a case by case basis. A lot of concepts aren't unplayable, they're just harder to do well. If I feel I can trust a player and they pitch the concept in a cool way, I'll let them play it. If they're someone I know less well or the character comes off as one note or innately disruptive, I'll ask them to reconsider. IMO just banning an entire category is just lazy.
>>
>>47154206
>>wild magic sorcerer
I think the 5e Wild Sorcerer is really bad design. For it to be worth playing, for both style and effectivnes, it needs to be able to thingy surge very reguarly. But how often it does so is up to the GM that genraly will want to limit surges as much as possible due to their ability to totaly screw any situation. I think you do the right thing op. Better to just say no rather then let someone play something but change it so it isn't actully what they want.

On the other hand I happen to be playing a 5e Div Wiz at the moment. It's really strong but I don't think it's game breaking.
>>
>>47154206
In existing settings (e.g Star Wars):
>No connections to Main Characters
>No familial Relationships to existing characters
In everything else:
>No clones of existing characters
>This Includes yours who just died
>No stereotypes

Inspiration from fiction is fine, but I GM'd a group where 75% of the PC's were either copies of characters they had made before or stereotypes, and it got annoying fast.
>>
>>47154966
As an actual GM (ie: one who doesn't play D&D) fuck off. I work hard on my shit. Too hard for one autistic fucker to waltz in and go "HURR DURR I kill the king cuz I'm SOOOO WACKY gosh isn't this so FUN?"
>>
After what happened last time, no more fucking kobolds.
Well maybe, but not for a god damn while
>>
>>47155091
>It's impossible for stupid people to do dumb things in any system
You're a class A retard.
>>
>>47155124
Because other systems don't have stupid shit like Wild Mages and Kender. Get fucked D&D babby, your system is dead.
>>
>>47155091
do you have legit autism?
>>
>>47155154
>no argument
>claims autism
>GAWSH SO CLEVAR!

Admission of defeat right there. Go home folks, show's over! D&D fags lose yet again!
>>
File: GMing in a Nutshell.jpg (49KB, 443x500px) Image search: [Google]
GMing in a Nutshell.jpg
49KB, 443x500px
>>47155091

If you're so concerned about the integrity of your precious campaign story then go write a novel, you sod.

The only GM trait more important than "good writer" is "excellent improviser". I don't like dealing with retards in my games either, but I also hate GMs who just want to use me as a tool in their shitty fanfiction.
>>
>>47155148
>psychers in 40k do not have the ability to accidentally TPK

>kender
GROUNDBREAKING idea here: Don't play in the dragonlance setting. Woah. That was crazy hard to come up with, I must have an IQ of over a million!
>>
>>47155148
you are being rather rude, are you ok? do you want to talk about something?
>>
>No characters under 15

How else am I gonna play a newborn fungoid man or illithid innocent to the ways of the world.
>>
File: writing in a nutshell.jpg (27KB, 476x349px) Image search: [Google]
writing in a nutshell.jpg
27KB, 476x349px
>>47155204

Kender are a problem in literally any game written by someone who likes the idea of a race of disruptive, selfish assholes who get a free pass because they're "cute".
>>
>>47155203
This, improvising is so important as a DM. 90% of the fun is the fact that the players can do something you don't expect and you have to roll with it.
Improvisation is both important to be able to keep the game fun, and to reign in your whackier players
>>
>>47154206
>really fetishy characters
>furfag characters

But functionally any character is fine as long as you don't fuck up the campaign or the setting with it.
>>
>>47155400

Every now and then I get a character who just doesn't work on a functional level.

Like once I ran a space cop game, and one guy wanted to play an abrasive, book dumb ex soldier who fought for the other side during a civil war and was a wanted criminal. He justified the last part by saying "he was misidentified".
>>
>>47155210
Yeah, I'd like to talk about all you assholes thinking it's just fucking dandy to shit all over someone's game because "muh fun!" and then saying it's the GM's fault entirely because "LAWL shoulda adapted brah!"
>>
>>47155199
i don't want an argument, i asked you a question

but i guess this gave me my answer
>>
>>47154206
I used to not let people play evil characters, but then I stopped using alignment altogether and replaced it with allegiances. Pick a few people, places, concepts, etc. and those are what you base your decisions and morals and ethics around.
>>
>>47155444
So you want to talk about yourself?
>>
>>47155496
Tell me about your mother.
>>
>>47155444
>shit all over someone's game
>as if its not just as much their game as it is yours
Consult >>47155203
>>
>>47155496
Go fuck yourself. You're not funny or clever. You don't get to turn this back around on me. I'm right and all of you fucking know it! It's you isn't it Greg? Greg! I fucking knew it Greg! I knew it was you! Fucking Greg! Fuck you!
>>
>>47155509
She didn't let you fuck her. You know why.
>>
>>47154261
>I flip it
>>
>>47155533
You're not talking to Greg. Greg OD'd on aspirin because you broke his heart. Shame on you.
>>
File: raughing khan of khans.jpg (57KB, 1022x547px) Image search: [Google]
raughing khan of khans.jpg
57KB, 1022x547px
>>47155533

Okay, I'm now convinced this is bait.

But if it's not, well then Greg, >>47155496, you're a stand-up guy.
>>
>>47154972
That file name had me laughing in public. Thanks.
>>
>>47154206
>divination wizard

Why is this bad? I've been wanting to try one but I didn't find what I pointed up to be incredibly broken or unengaging. If anything it allows the DM to bullshit plot through divination.
>>
>>47154982
Banned in my group as the one weeb who spergs over them broke my stereo and pretends he didn't.

He still hasn't made the connection.
>>
>>47155247
One of my players played an Illithid who was raised outside of Illithid society, innocent to the evils of his race, and had a hero complex. He helped save the world from both Zargon and Atropus. On separate occasions, of course.
>>
inb4 women
>>
>>47155559
This is the last time you fuck with me Greg! Greg? You fucking hear me Greg? You think it's funny to just fuck someone's campiagn up and then brag about it on the goddamn internet Greg? You think you're smart Greg? You think your funny? Greg? GREG! I will fucking murder you Greg! I'm going to do it Greg just like your stupid fucking dog Greg! Yeah I killed your dog Greg fuck your dog Greg it was a whiny little shit so I killed it Greg! Fuck you and your dog!
>>
>>47155598

This, really. You'd think it'd be easier to railroad the players that way. And if this thread indicates anything, that's really important to some people.
>>
>>47154261
What?
>>
>I want this to be a guy that kills another character at some point
>>
>>47155729
But Greg had a cat. Remember?
>>
Honestly I don't ban any sort of character out of hand.

If you seem like a sperg and choose a character that seems like it'll play into that, then I'll say something. But a good player wants to play a 14 year old girl, or a catfolk, or whatever, that's great! I've had plenty of both.

Outright banning character concepts (unless they're directly contradictory to the setting) is bad GMing.
>>
>>47155598
What makes them good is the ability to slap hefty insight bonuses to any action they please several times a day.
>>
>>47154206
>character under age 15

I had a player running this once.

Since it was a swords&sandals ancient fantasy setting, I just ignored the fact and treated the character as an adult anyway. After all, bar mitzvah makes one an adult at 13...
>>
>>47155875
At the cost of a caster though. It's literally giving up an entire character's worth of fightan' for a support caster. I'm just not seeing how it's broken here. AC doesn't even matter at higher levels anyway depending on the edition.
>>
>>47155964
It's not about combat. At least not directly. It's about being able to plan many steps ahead, on a large scale. So GM has to as well.

As for the combat use, knowing what you're up against next and being able to tailor gear / spell slots accordingly is a huge plus.
>>
File: 1454287728622.png (27KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
1454287728622.png
27KB, 605x605px
>>47154885
This.

>was trying 5e
>player gets into arguments about rules
>want to wrestle / grapple ogre
>does so
>his character only has 10 strength
>i tell them there is no way he can do this even with high rolls
>thanks to shitty rolls he manages to
>tell him it doesn't happen
>he gets into arguments
>i tell him I am GM and I do not want it to happen
>he starts whining about some anime where this shit happens
>I tell him that this isn't fucking attack on titan, your shitty little girl character cannot be a bad-ass because of your cuntish white knight attitude
>shitfling ensues
>i call him a fat kike even though he isn't jewish
>another player is
>i tell them all to get the fuck out of my house
>this was last night

I am so sick of the randomness of d20 as well. There should be NO WAY that you can grapple such a large creature. Fuck even the GURPS rules probably negate this shit.

What this faggot did IS EQUIVALENT to unironically trying to pull off the "healing with drowning" rule in 3.5.

It is absolute bullshit and I will not tolerate it.
>>
>>47154206
>character under age 15

We had a guy in our group try to do this. He wanted to play a 7 year old boy human fighter. DM said he could but made him travel with his mom who would supervise him in everything he did

>I rob the campsite
>Your mom catches you and scolds you for your misbehaviour then sends you to bed
>>
>>47154206
>wild magic sorcerer
I am confused. Why ?
>>
File: back to reddit.gif (819KB, 320x193px) Image search: [Google]
back to reddit.gif
819KB, 320x193px
>ALL "X" PARTY

Fuck this retarded meme bullshit. It's been plaguing the fucking scene for over a year now and I'm getting so goddamn tired of telling people that over-posted greentext and fanfiction is NOT a valid basis for a functional group.
>>
>>47156071
Because lolrandumb shit
>>
>>47156046
This is where you fucked up. Alternately, allowing him to roll in the first place when you think there should be zero chance of success is where you fucked up.

Once you let him roll that shit, you should stick with the result. You fucked up.
>>
>>47156046
>look mom I posted it again!
>>
>>47156029
Literally nothing allows them to plan many steps ahead. If the GM is bullshitting his way through the campaign then he can simply bullshit his way through divination too.

Again, nothing allows you to cast "what am I fighting next?"
>>
>>47156101
Well it's that or dragonshit. As a DM I prefer the former.
>>
>>47156046
Nice bait there. His character with perfectly average strength can't outmanoeuvre a ogre for a short period of time while grabbing onto them?
>>
>>47154206
Only restriction I have is on cheese builds, if I'm playing a game that's breakable in the ways D&D is.

I don't really rule out concepts or class options; if what you're making sounds like shit I'll just tell you and if you don't knock it off you can find another game.
>>
>>47155598
>Why is this bad?
Sufficiently advanced divination effectively becomes in-character metagaming. It's not bad per se but it's significantly more work for GM to keep up with. Obviously lazy GM will want to avoid that.

I'm surprised OP doesn't forbid summoners and thrallherds, those also mean significantly more work, if only in combat.
>>
>>47156139
>forbid summoners and thrallherds

I thought those were handled by the player who summoned them?
>>
>>47156101
My character wasn't randumb. He aspired to be a travelling magic item salesman.
>>
>>47156029
That sounds like a DM problem. When it comes to divination, our DM is vague, yet to the point.
For example, there may be a prediction of a violent betrayal, but that could mean that the king could get assassinated, or that the PCs are going to get double crossed. The most that this would help the Diviner is a nudge in the right direction, and maybe what spell type might be good (Doesn't really effect us that much since we use a Mana system.)
Even then, that seems more useful, and not really a bad thing. Helps the plot, and there's nothing wrong with bringing the right-ish spell to an encounter when all you know is a hazy bit about it.
>>
File: 1460690026472.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1460690026472.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
>>47156081
Fucking this
>Suggest to my group ''hey guys let's all be Dwarves it will be funny haha''
>Funny for like 1 session
>novelty wore off quickly
>was one of the worst campaigns we ever had

Wasn't even the DM's fault, found out after he had to throw out an entire dungeon filled lots of loot and traps because it wouldn't work for a party of 5 dwarves
>>
>>47156046
you need to take your pills anon
>>
>>47156234
I don't see how this would be a problem unless you're playing one of the systems where Dwarf is a class.
>>
>>47156101
I've never played a wild magic sorcerer like lolsorandumb.
Maybe it's just like CN, it's not necessarily bad, but bad player love it especially.
>>
>>47156234
I've run a few games from underdark cities with strong racial homogeneity. It's a bad idea to do outside of relatively exotic conditions, but can actually be fun if you've got a competent group.
>>
>>47154206
I'm a divination wizard with a bat familiar and I'm ruining encounters in the adventurers league it's a lot of fun
>>
>>47156156
It depends, but both options are DM headache.
If summons/thralls are handled by player, and the player is somewhat competent, they give party plenty of extra power on the virtue of coordination and cooperation. Suddenly it becomes difficult to tailor encounter difficulty without either summoner steamrolling through everything on the back of his minions or DM accidentally killing other PCs because they wanted encounter that will be actual challenge for the summoner.

If they are controlled by DM, well, it's more characters to take care of, and you need to think for two competing factions in combat, Which is kind of difficult unless you simplify at least one of them to complete idiots.
>>
>>47156234
>all human campaigns
>current year
>>
Overly fetishy concepts (I'm a lewd fucker myself, but drew the line when I had to play a campaign with a pregnancy fetish character) and "hilarious and witty" attempts to rip off the likes of Old Man Henderson and Sir Bearington.

Anything else and I'll be willing to sit down with you and try to salvage your concept.
>>
>>47156353
>wanting to be an entire party of weirdos
>>
>>47156046
>i tell him I am GM and I do not want it to happen

This is textbook shit GMing. I bet you're the kind of guy who goes "your character gets ebola and dies".

Your players are better off without you in their lives.
>>
>>47156276
The only system I can think of that does this would be The Dark Eye. And while all Dwarf party indeed is a stupid idea, all Wood Elf works perfectly fine.
>>
>>47154206
>Bards
>Haflings
>Gnomes

FUCK YOU.
>>
File: 1436385680451.jpg (77KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1436385680451.jpg
77KB, 768x1024px
>>47154206
>illusionist wizards
>druids, especially the 'raised without human contact in the woods' variety
>chaotic neutral anything

One more is something that you have to wait a few sessions on and see with, but anyone who makes a character only on a jokey gimmick and doesn't at least build on it over time to make a rounder character is out.
>>
>>47155203
But then again, if the players want to do something you don't enjoy DMing then there is a problem. I don't want to be forced to play something I don't want to play just because I'm the DM. I think, through his foaming rage, that was what the other Anon was trying to say maybe?
>>
>>47156046
>>being a baby
>>not giving the ogre advantage
>>not being super excited when the players and the dice cause something exciting to happen

I mean, what was that ogres expected lifespan? One encounter? What would have been wrong with him doing some kind of clever pressure point or something? And besides, the ogre could just grapple him the next turn anyway
>>
>>47156420
>druids, especially the 'raised without human contact in the woods' variety

why this?
>>
>All tier 1 classes
I am not going to be trying to murder you every session so there's no reason you should be soloing encounters by yourself. There use I will use my BS GM fiat so the other players can shine. In other words, no T1 classes because they tend to steal the spotlight way more often than the other classes.
>>
>>47156506
Try getting a group of adventurers together when one of them has never seen a human before and 4/5 members of the party are human. It's just too much of a easily avoidable chore.
>>
File: 1430724778090.png (1MB, 850x1106px) Image search: [Google]
1430724778090.png
1MB, 850x1106px
>>47156046
Holy shit, you're such a fucking faggot.
>>
File: 1444943755936.jpg (142KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1444943755936.jpg
142KB, 960x720px
>>47156506
Because you either get something like >>47156560 where you have to spend some time teaching them all the rules of civilization and all these strange new ideas and concepts, or the player just uses it as an excuse to try and get away with stealing 'because they don't know any better' while clearly looking around for stores and taverns and other things they shouldn't know about.

It might work if it's played for comedy, but I usually don't get players that are that good of actors/writers to really pull that off. And it's frustrating for me to get a druid that ends up wanting nothing to really do with nature once the game starts, when that aspect of fantasy is usually so skipped over for the sake of other plotlines.
>>
>>47154206
>Furfag shit
>dumblrina quinquingendered demisexuals
>Gnomes/halflings
>Half-orc/orcs
>Paladins and anyone who takes alignment seriously
>Techpriests
>Obvious ripoffs
>Characters with awful names, anything with a weapon in it is especially out
>>
>>47156560
>>47156653
ah ok, so i assume you're ok with druids done properly then?

i like playing druid
>>
File: education_.jpg (257KB, 810x1410px)
education_.jpg
257KB, 810x1410px
>>47156560
I pull The Professor. Crossdressing optional.
>>
>>47156662
Most of those, I can at least understand the logic behind disliking them even if I don't agree with all of them. But what do you have against techpriests?
>>
File: fYF0rK1.jpg.png (399KB, 401x779px) Image search: [Google]
fYF0rK1.jpg.png
399KB, 401x779px
>>47155821
>>47155729
>>47155533

Do you people live in Rhode Island by any chance?
>>
>>47156681
Well, how would you do a druid? I've heard they're OP, but I'm not sure how that varies from game to game.
>>
>>47156420
>illusionist wizards
I'm hoping for storytime, please
>>
File: juPbJow.jpg (251KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
juPbJow.jpg
251KB, 1920x1080px
>>47154206

I thought the answer would be 'Nothing'

Turns out I was wrong. Had to really curb one of my PC's for my upcoming campaign. 80% of his backstory was scrapped and the other 20% is an untruth that his character believes.
>>
>>47156757
any full caster is OP
the problem with druids is they can outshine martials from the very start with their animal companion, having basically an extra character at lvl 1 is pretty ridiculous and melee druids are combat beasts (heh) while still having most of the utility of a caster

the problem is alleviated a bit if you start the game at higher level (7+ id say) when the other classes have more toys to play with

as for my druid he comes from a hunting tribe in a far off country, he is true neutral and follows the "rules of nature" type of thinking, the weak feed the strong etc.
he dislikes politicians and "illegitimate" authority (ie. people that abuse their social standing to rule over others, rather than people who rule by their own might)
he respects honor and people who stand up for themselves and fight, even if the odds are against them
he is wary of busy urban areas and feels most at ease in the thrill of the hunt
his motivation for adventuring is finding more exciting things to hunt and finding reconcilation to return to the tribe he was exiled from

sorry if this explanation is shit, english isnt my first language
>>
>>47154206
Anybody with a special background
>>
File: RULES OF NATURE.gif (2MB, 360x204px) Image search: [Google]
RULES OF NATURE.gif
2MB, 360x204px
>>47157052

>"rules of nature"
>>
>>47156928
Story time?
>>
>>47154206
While I'll let someone run it, I try to shy people away from pet classes, since I don't want to bog down combat with what your 80 wolves are doing. Its almost always a hassle, since the player usually forgets they even have the damn thing, don't want it to get hurt, or so on.

Which I fully acknowledge is entirely hypocritical of me, since were I ever to break out of the forever DM, I would love to play a summoner or necromancer class.
>>
>>47157132

Discouraging people from mechanically complex classes for the sake of brevity isn't really a bad thing. I've seen plenty of players opt for classes like that because they sound cool, then bog down gameplay while they scour the rulebook for twenty minutes. You shouldn't outright ban them from playing it, but if someone you don't trust wants to play a class like that I see no problem in trying to talk them out of it.
>>
>>47157251
I really let them run with it most of the time, but its almost an inevitability that whenever a 1 or more new players want to play, someone want to be a druid or something. So I have to explain that they have to manage two sets of stats and actions now. Then 2 hours later I have to remind them that they left their wolf at the top of the cliff or something.
>>
>the player who asks what their fighter's attack is every fucking session wants to play a magic character
>>
>>47156662
>Gnomes/halflings
>Half-orc/orcs
>Paladins and anyone who takes alignment seriously
"In my campaign you are either a human or dwarf or you don't play"
"There is no "good" in any world so you can't be anything good because the world is a dark place where good doesn't exist"
>>
>>47157097

So we're going to be playing Mage: The Awakening in about a week and one player was planning on being a banisher who had the backstory of being a war veteran who had a vampire wife and half vampire children.

He also had several other magical encounters in his backstory and the whole thing was very complex (and didn't really jive with the way things work)

It was hard to know where to start, I described the character as being 'overdressed' rather than calling it spastic.

Scrap the whole banisher thing (players cannot be the bbeg, soz)

Scrap the vampire thing as well as the children

Scrap the encounter with mages while he was still a sleeper

Right now he's a war vet with ptsd and a split personality who believes he's got a family (The player also believes this) but the real story behind it gets pretty metaphorical. If he wanted to be a mentally deranged character then leave it to me.

I feel like having a split personality is just going to be annoying for literally everyone at the table and i'm still thinking about how i'll deal with that because the player is super excited about it and I don't want to curb his enthusiasm with the outcome.
>>
>>47156046
>Mom, I can't stop posting it! /tg/ still responds to it mom!
>>
>>47156662
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE
>PLAY ONE OF THESE THREE TEMPLATES
>I MADE THEM JUST FOR YOU

You are the worst.
>>
>>47155444
Yeah....that has nothing whatsoever to do with Divination Magic, and everything to do with a player that's not meshing with the rest of the group. In which case, you talk about it ooc. Like responsible people. Like adults.
>>
>>47155441
You just described Mal from firefly.
>>
>>47158035
He wouldn't make a good star if the show were about "space cops."
>>
>>47155638
The hell is going on in your world that multiple elder evils pop up?
>>
File: 1430695663518.jpg (35KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1430695663518.jpg
35KB, 720x405px
>>47157416
>"In my campaign you are either a human or dwarf or you don't play"
Honestly I don't even like players picking elves and dwarves, but I'll accept it.

>"There is no "good" in any world so you can't be anything good because the world is a dark place where good doesn't exist"
There's no "objective good" in any universe, but you can believe in whatever you like and behave however you like. Just realize that your conception of good is not the only one.

>>47157731
Quite the opposite, by forcing my players to pick from races that are similar to humans they can't get away with making gimmicky one-sided caricatures.
>>
>>47156288
To be fair, I think in the case of Wild Sorcery (in 5E, anyway), the lolsorandom is a comment about how their powers work.
The DM controls how often they check for wild surge, which is also tied to one of their class abilities. Too often, and way too many weird effects might start happening; not often enough, and the Wild Sorcerer might not feel as mechanically worthwhile as the Dragon. It's yet another thing for the DM to keep track of.
Granted, this is all *in theory*. It might not actually be a pain in the ass, and work out fine at the average table. I've never seen it in play, so I dunno one way or the other, but that's the stereotypical view of things online.
>>
>>47154982
Shakespeare literally invented the word assassin. You're full of shit.
>>
>>47158035

See >>47158053

Mal wouldn't be a good main character in this game, which was about special ops law enforcement agents stamping out criminals, which in this context would include Serenity's crew.

Also he was abrasive in the sense he was just a busybody asshole.
>>
>>47158094
I feel sorry for you and your players.

You are so controlling that you must have had years and years of shit tier players, unable to come up with anything even remotely creative.

That or you have just always been a self obsessed asshole.
>>
>>47158159
>We don't have a word for 'guy who sneaks around killing people'.
>Therefore, the concept doesn't exist.
>Until the 1600s, people only died in their bed of old age, or on the battlefield in honorable open combat. Perhaps a plague.
>Except in Japan, where they had the word ninja.
>>
File: typical DMing.gif (2MB, 265x200px) Image search: [Google]
typical DMing.gif
2MB, 265x200px
>>47158094

Wow you must have a really high opinion of yourself to justify being this dictatorial.
>>
>>47155630
Then he's never going to learn his lesson.
>>
>>47158159
Wrong as well, assassin comes from an Islamic sect that was strongly associated with what we would call assassins.
>>
File: 1461422975435.jpg (47KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
1461422975435.jpg
47KB, 500x666px
All this hullabaloo makes me thank who ever is out there that my group is semi-decent players, I don't feel like I need to babysit them or tell them what they should play, and the campaigns go by realitivly smooth.
>>
>>47158073
Everything. Zargon actually appeared in correlation to Atropus.
>>
>>47158201
>>47158227
Players are a dime a dozen, my goal as GM is to have fun myself, followed by ensure my players pay attention, and finally that they have fun, in that order.

Players that want to play furfags, gnomes/halflings, orcs/half-orcs are not there to actually roleplay, they're there because they have one specific, often sexual interest in their character, or more accurately, statblock. Alignmentfags are simply intolerable, the same kind of people that whine about multidimensional characters and the absence of BLACK/WHITE moral standards.

These kinds of rot are not worth the time to reeducate, better to just throw them back into the festering, toxic pool of 3.PF that they came from.
>>
>>47158306
I purposely read stories about shit groups to make me feel better about my own.
>>
File: 1460297225522.gif (2MB, 663x603px)
1460297225522.gif
2MB, 663x603px
>>47158353

>Players are a dime a dozen

Glad to know you feel this way about your friends. Assuming you have any.
>>
>>47158400
My friends don't play RPGs and I don't play RPGs to hang out with friends.
>>
>>47158353
>Alignmentfags are simply intolerable
This.
No matter what, specifically this.

>>47158400
You've never picked up groups at an FLGS or something?
>>
>>47158353

Again, I am legitimately sorry that whatever happened to you happened, and you became a no-fun-zone asshat.

You might want to ask your doctor about sociopathy.
>>
Its situational. I just try and make sure my players play as someone whose at the beginning of their adventuring career. That way they tend to play as younger or less experience characters, instead of trying to be an overpowered charcter. I feel like it avoids a lot of that guy scenarios and makes chatcter progression a bit more fun.
>>
>>47158430

Only time I ever did a pickup group was when I first went to my school's RPG club.

And the guys I met there wound up being my friends all through college.
>>
>>47158425
>My friends don't play RPGs
I can see why.
>>
>>47158425
Really? I find most people I spend time with to be people I play RPGs with. And even if you ignore that, how can you spend weeks, months, or years around a gaming table and never develop a friendship with anyone around it?
>>
>>47158533
Do you really have to ask why people don't want to be this guy's friend?
>>
>>47158425
Wow. You are missing out man.
>>
>>47158501
>>47158533
>>47158574
Playing with friends is a terrible experience. It is impossible to have a serious game, and at least 50% of the session will be spent on OOC banter. I've played with friends before and I know now not to repeat it, both because playing with friends is itself not conducive to a good roleplaying experience and because I don't want to have to tell my friends to shape up and follow the rules/mood of the campaign since they're clearly having more fun not roleplaying.

You people are part of the casual, brain damaged horde that ruins the gaming experience for everyone else.
>>
File: BI-Hulud the father of the bait.jpg (62KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
BI-Hulud the father of the bait.jpg
62KB, 600x600px
>>47158615
>>
>>47158615
Nigger the banter is what makes it.
You're the kind of guy who gets pissed and throws a fit because we aren't taking the Monopoly game seriously

>tfw want to make a monk weaboo character but dm won't let me
>>
File: normie knights get out reeee.png (1MB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
normie knights get out reeee.png
1MB, 683x1024px
>>47156662
>Paladins
>>
>>47158615

>having this much pride in being a demanding antisocial jerk
>>
>>47158615
There's nothing wrong with a casual game now and again bruh. Susing out the tone of the game before you play is important. Otherwise you'll have ultra serious folks and Deadpool-y guys getting at each other's throats.
>>
>>47154206
>Sexy lesbians who act slutty
>X from Y where X is a unpronounceable name and Y is an anime.
>Ravenwing Darkblade, the Fedoramancer Katanologist
>X dwarves where X is not either mountain, cave, hill or city. (jungle dwarves, forest dwarves, river dwarves)
>Ambulatory penises
>>
>>47158711
>Susing out the tone of the game before you play is important
As GM, it's both my job and my prerogative to do this when I make the game. Ensure that people playing are going to take the game seriously and contribute both to my and their fun.

I will not abide some memester kid or braindead powergaming munchkin ruining the campaign for everyone else, and restricting character creation rules is part of that.
>>
File: Px1Egop.jpg (126KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Px1Egop.jpg
126KB, 900x675px
>>47158764

>Ravenwing Darkblade, the Fedoramancer Katanologist

...psh...
>>
>>47158615
No offense - and I mean this question literally - but have you only ever played one game?

I think my first game was my worst, even though I was playing with friends. I had the wrong ideas going in on what a TTRPG should be like, and how the rest of the group should behave, and I felt like I let them down, and unfortunately since several of them moved since then I'll never be able to make up for my mistakes.

But OOC banter, while it can get overwhelming, isn't a bad thing. It gives players something to do when the spotlight isn't on them, or gives people time to check rules and sheets. It helps form a connection between players so they don't get mad when game things go awry, because they're having fun with friends. And probably most importantly, it allows players to loosen up a little and have fun, instead of feeling judged.
>>
>>47158768
Yeah, sure, that sounds reasonable. Except your definition of "memester kid" or "powergaming munchkin" encompasses >95% of players.
>>
>>47158768

Maybe you should play with friends. I imagine they're just as joyless as you because how the fuck else could they tolerate this attitude of yours.

But going to an FLGS and roping in people looking for a good time then getting mad when they have a good time is a losing gamble.
>>
>>47158803
>No offense - and I mean this question literally - but have you only ever played one game?
No, I've played dozens over a period of about 5 years.

>OOC banter is good
If you are interested in hanging out with your friends and having a good time or whatever, sure, but that's not why I play, or rather, host RPGs.
>>
>>47158615
>I have no friends

May I suggest talking to people?
>>
>>47158764
>Sexy lesbians who act slutty

Well okay I can understand not wanting magical realm -

>Ambulatory penises

Why does that have to be a rule?!
>>
>>47155853
This is an underrated post.
>>
>>47158889
Half the posts here are people saying something to that effect.

The other half are people trying to justify tyrannical GMing.
>>
File: bear.jpg (290KB, 1555x1600px) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
290KB, 1555x1600px
>>47158094
>by forcing my players to pick from races that are similar to humans they can't get away with making gimmicky one-sided caricatures.

It is incredibly easy to make gimmicky shit whether human, elf or Dorf. In fact the last time I played a Dorf he was a Totemist Barbarian, who was black and extremely hairy. Also a homosexual that liked to rape monsters to teach them a lesson rather than kill them.

On the other hand, the Aasimar Warlock I played last is much more soft spoken, interested in looking for the good in everyone. She spent the first half of the last sessions discussion fashion and designs with a tailor, praising their work and offering them money upfront for some new pieces that she will pick up later. In general she's much more serious and sensible.
>>
>>47156046
This shit again
>>
>>47156046
So do we report it or...?
>>
>>47158464
Sociopathy has no cure apart from a bullet to the head, anon.
>>
Anyone complaining about players picking non humans as wanting a stat block in dnd is a moron.

Every min maxed character I have ever built or seen anyone else put together has human as the base.
>>
>>47159166

I would expect this, what with the bonus feet and everything.
>>
File: 1389717520706.png (86KB, 766x470px) Image search: [Google]
1389717520706.png
86KB, 766x470px
>>47158863
Found the F-List user!
>>
>>47159166
Humans are the Secret race.
>>
>>47159192
I think you misunderstand me: I was asking what the hell could have included ambulatory penises so he would have to make a rule not allowing them.
>>
File: ctumbs up.jpg (18KB, 300x265px) Image search: [Google]
ctumbs up.jpg
18KB, 300x265px
>>47155853
The only right answer.
>>
>>47159242
No. I think it's you who misunderstood me. I said it as in you found the f-list user, not that you're the user.
>>
>>47158631
>this picture
K-kull wahad!
>>
>>47159297
what the hell are
>ambulatory penises
and do I really want to know?
>>
>>47156046
As a GURPS player, I can tell you that grapple rules in GURPS are very clear. Taking the average Ogre from D&D and using the Basic Set, grappling an Ogre is easy. But it would be like a hug. You think you're grappling, but you're just huging him as with your mediocre ST 10 you're shit at anything strength-based, specially grappling or restraining someone your size, weight or even smaller/lighter.
But hey, It's D&D. Everyone's a super hero. You can get impaled by five lances and keep going while stepping on fire. You should totally let him grapple that fucking Ogre. In fact, you should even giving him bonus XP just for even thinking about how preposterous that would look. After all, you let the guy roll and then denied it like a cunt, instead of just telling him: "NO".
>>
>>47154206
I'm generally pretty accepting, but I basically have flat bans on a few things
>Gnomes
>"wacky"/jokey characters in a semi serious campaign
>Animal races if you're a furfag (I've gamed with enough furries to know they tend to get weird, and get weird a lot quicker if they're allowed to play an animal race)
>flat out ripoffs

And some shit that I generally will let people play, but will keep an eye on them if they do
>Pet classes (Generally to see if they're going to forget about their minions or take forever to decide what they're all doing. )
>Anything very anime-y
>Animal races for non-furfags (To make sure that they don't wind up getting weird with it. )
>"Sexy" characters (See above. Sex is a semi-legitimate tactic for manipulation/infiltration/etc, but I'm not going to allow it if they're basically going to try to erp with me or the rest of the table will get uncomfortable)
> Any morality/alignment based class (Not because I'm strict about alignments per se, but more because too many people play paladins as smitebots and necromancers/antipaladins/etc as pure edge)
>Dwarves (No gimli clones. In setting I try to make dwarves a lot different from that but I still get people who want to play stock stereotypes, which isn't the worst thing on this list but fucking annoying nonetheless)
>Elves (See above, though not as bad. )
>Human Fighters (Case by case basis, but this tend to be the default of people who aren't really sure of what they're doing, in which case I try to pay attention and help them to roleplay and get into the game, but also the favorite of insufferable HFY grognards, in which case I try to prevent them from being faggots and point out that, in most settings I run, humans aren't a monoculture and tend to dislike their fellow humans more than nonhumans/wizards/etc )
>>
>>47158159
>ninjas did nothing but assassinate people
Educate yourself.

>Shakespeare just shat out a word for a concept that didn't exist yet
Is this bait or are you certifiable idiot?
>>
>>47159334

You should never say "no" to any action a player tries to take.

You just need to prepare appropriate consequences for stupid decisions.
>>
>>47154206
>Anything out of Changing Fucking Breeds.
>>
>>47158768
>playing make-believe with swords and magic
>guise it's super serious don't meme on me

Fucking chill out dude, you're gonna pop an artery.
>>
File: Tentacolino1-1024x571.jpg (69KB, 1024x571px) Image search: [Google]
Tentacolino1-1024x571.jpg
69KB, 1024x571px
>>47159377
This, though players who do stupid shit like this aren't usually thinking about the consequences like that, and that would lead to them being piss-ants about it.
>>
File: HISV.jpg (65KB, 400x489px)
HISV.jpg
65KB, 400x489px
>>47159377
>You should never say "no" to any action a player tries to take.
>any action a player tries to take
>not character
>>
>>47159377
Well, I appreciate the sentiment, but sometimes you really do have to say no. It's rare, but I've had players (to be fair, generally newbies who don't really get how ttrpgs work) try to do retarded or flat out impossible shit.
>>
>>47156046
I would typically defer to the system if it has a rule to cover a grappling process that was followed fairly. Similarly, if it was an on-the-spot ruling about how one might grapple, if the results are fair follow them. If you want to make an executive DM decision, that's also great.

But doing one thing and then whining about your precious ogre got grappled and how you should have made an executive decision is shitty DMing.

Worst case: if it's a ruling that you as a DM are upset about, use a different method of resolution and the next time and explain that you were unsatisfied with the previous ruling (which was never codified in the first place).
>>
>>47156046
Just let him fail, nigger. Or shit, if he's got a reasonably clever way of doing it, let him do it.
>>
>>47159641
>Hey DM, pay my mortgage
>Hey DM, marry me
>Hey DM, pay for my retirement
>>
>>47159353
Well Shakespeare did just make shit up, but it was usually a way to describe something that was already defined and just say it 'better'.
>>
File: thats-bait.gif (1MB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
thats-bait.gif
1MB, 400x254px
>>47154898
>mediƦval
>>
File: 1460425775802.png (199KB, 439x294px) Image search: [Google]
1460425775802.png
199KB, 439x294px
>>47159710
>Hey DM, marry me.
well, since you offered.
>>
File: Konsider.png (206KB, 900x686px) Image search: [Google]
Konsider.png
206KB, 900x686px
>>47159332
>Ambulatory
>relating to or adapted for walking.

Well I guess there's your answer.

Basically people who want to play a guy in a dick costume, but there isn't actually a costume.
>>
>>47159721
Shakespeare made new words, but almost all were very closely rooted in words that already existed. The word "gloom" existed for a considerable while before he stuck a Y on the end.
>>
>>47159781
So it's people who dream they are The Great Mara in real life?
>>
If a player presents me with a backstory and it has any explicit mentions of rape or the character's sexuality, I ask them to re-write it.
>>
>>47160395
Well that is just obvious. If you're a gay rapist then that is something to shouldn't put in your backstory, it ruins the DM's surprise.
>>
>>47158784
I know this guy. He came out as gay a few years ago. And then came out as straight when people stopped paying attention to him
>>
>>47157491
Either have him roll at specific periods, because of certain events, or at your personal discretion on what personality he is at the time, and let him play both but as seperate characters. If you really want, you can also have him with slightly different dots for skills and knowledge sorry if thats wrong about Mage, i only played vampire very briefly to reflect the differing personality.

Alternatively, let certain things trigger personalities and just tell him when they happen.
>>
>>47159710
>>47159763
>Not marrying your best bro
What are you, gay?
>>
File: 600_421289172.jpg (130KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
600_421289172.jpg
130KB, 600x375px
>>47160578

He was set on being a banisher but he decided not to do that because it would be anti-social to the party.

The twist that i'm running with is that he's no a banisher, he's becoming one during the campaign.

Learning his true history will be a trigger event to him being lead towards an abyssal watchtower (Watchtowers are where you first get your mage on and the abyss is dark anti-magic stuff).

He's really only got one personality but there's perhaps a spirit or something that's constantly leading him down the darkened path towards the abyss.

That's what i'm rolling with at the moment, campaign will hit the road this week so hopefully it turns out to be a positive experience to learn that his entire backstory was just a cover up. He's a mind mage so it could be plausible that he gave himself a brain-scrub before the campaign to try and avoid the abyss.
>>
>>47160494

Does he still think that's a good look?
>>
>>47154206
D&D
TDE
SR
GURPS
>>
>>47158839
So, why do you host them?
>>
File: Averate WtA game.jpg (98KB, 493x627px) Image search: [Google]
Averate WtA game.jpg
98KB, 493x627px
>>47161173

He wants a captive audience to narrate his grim fantasy stories, it seems.
>>
>>47155747
A stupid metamagic feat that allows you to add other metamagic feats to your spells at no cost, but you have to solve a game of Countdown to do this.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry
>>
>>47155444
You sound like a faggot. Stop DMing.

Nice b8 btw
>>
>>47158105
I play a game where another character has taken the wild magic and he got surged. His skin turned blue as a result.

We used that to impersonate a water genasi to get into a temple.
>>
>>47156081
>all X party is bad
>all rifleman platoons are bad
>all fighter squadrons are bad
>all tank battalions are bad
you just gotta roll with it bro
>>
File: 1440697748479.png (101KB, 341x271px) Image search: [Google]
1440697748479.png
101KB, 341x271px
>>47155091
Who hurt you, anon?
>>
>>47154206
>barbarians
they NEVER RP. class only fit for monsters.
>wizards and sorcerers
Shit's broken.
>Clerics and druids
Munchkins delight, needs to leave
>bard and monk
So useless you might as well not show up.
>paladins and rangers
Moralfags and 14year olds. no thanks.
>rogues and fighters
stealth kill the BBEG? fuck off. And every class is a better fighter than the fighter.
>>
>>47155091

>as an actual GM (ie: one who doesn't play D&D)
>muh flawlessly constructed campaign world

What a surprise to find these two opinions in one mind
>>
>>47164824
What do you allow?
>>
>>47164847
Warlocks,Psions, and Warlords it seems.
>>
>>47164847
Tell you what I don't allow.
FUN.
>>
>>47164847
Full warlock - all the time.
>>
>>47164855
animu trash classes.
>>
>>47164869
Tell us what you allow. NOW.
>>
>>47158094
Christ, you could cut western steel with your thousand times folded edge.
>>
>>47164879
He allows Kineticists and Summoners, evidently.
>>
>>47156067

This is actually a damn hilarious way to deal with it, feels like the player just wanted to play a kid just to get away with bullshit by the way you're telling it.

It's a shame young characters are so frowned upon, if well played they can serve as a more lighthearted point of view to the adventure, or as a clash of innocence against the horrors of the campaign.

One of my players once rolled an 11 year old rogue, and after some time he ended up being one of the best roleplayers in the group. Though at the beginning, he tried to push his magical realm once. Luckily the paladin had some tree sap at hand.
>>
>>47164879
Calm your tots, there are lots of other classes to pick from.
>>47164980
Talk about neckbeard FF-fanboy classes. Nope, also banned.
>>
>>47156046
The fuck is the healing by drowning rule?
>>
>>47165030
Old drowning rules in 3e said that if you started drowning, it would immediately set your HP to zero. A liberal and literal reading of this says that that happens even if you're at negative HP
>>
>>47156420
But illusionist wizards are the best wizards.
>>
>>47165053
Readings like those are fun, but you're a faggot if you think that because "well if you read the book literally it does this" your GM must concede and let it happen.
>>
>>47165030
There's a rule from an older edition of D&D that said that when you drown your health gets set to 0, so if you're at -9 and you drown you get set to 0. You do still have 'bleed out' starting at -1 the next round, but the logic is that as long as you keep drowning you'll keep being reset to 0.
>>
>>47159781
>pic
>Dat's me in da corner.
>>
>>47154723
Replace the kender with kor, much more fun and their template is basically not midget halfing.
>>
>>47165029
Well?
Prestige classes as starting classes?
Specific Archetypes only?
NPC classes? I would be up for playing an epic level commoner
>>
>>47165136
>epic-level baker
pls now
>>
>>47165029
>there are lots of other classes to pick from.

You're using FantasyCraft, right?
>>
>>47164824
>barbarians
Can be a lot of fun to RP. "Well, I as the player see what you did there, but with 8 INT half-orc clearly wouldn't, so yeah, I'm going to walk straight into the obvious death trap."

>wizards and sorcerors
Just don't take the retardedly broken spells like Polymorph and Ray of Stupidity.

>Clerics and druids
See above. Also, skip Natural Spell.

>Bard and monk
Bard: Implying a Diplomacy modifier in the low 50's can't break a campaign as hard as Wish.

Monk: What, you've never seen a monk full attack for a combined 100d8 + 200d6 + 200?

>Paladins and rangers
Please refer to the classic "Lawful good is the best alignment" copypasta. Alternatively, "Powder keg of justice."

>Rogues and fighters
Rogues: If the BBEG's lair isn't guarded by dispelling walls, alarms, and other shenanigans, that's your fault, not his.

Fighters: Dungeoncrasher is legitimately one of the most hilarious character builds I've ever played. The only downside is that when your turn involves making about a dozen trip checks interspersed with about 30 bullrush checks, combat does get a bit slow.
>>
>>47165326
JUST PLAY VIDEO GAMES YOU AUTISTIC WEIRDOS

IT'S 2016
>>
>>47165082
Its in the rules fag, dont play shitty games if you dont like the rules.
>>
>>47165635
>if it has some minor errors that can be fixed through a simple called on the spot rule I need to either make the world have ridiculous rules or play a completely different ruleset
Shit like this is why rule 0 exists. I shouldn't respond to bait.
>>
>>47154206
>never
Can't think of one.
>>
File: 1366342394698.gif (3MB, 378x225px) Image search: [Google]
1366342394698.gif
3MB, 378x225px
>>47156397
>Not wanting walking encyclopedias that explode into magic damage after doing the can-can
>Not wanting pint-sized balls of rage that NPC's can mistake for small children on a regular basis, and having a mini-quest to rescue them from the local orphanage
>Gnomes are shit, I agree with you
>>
>>47155121
You are trying so hard to make someone ask what your story is that my eyes bleed.
Rethink your attention seeking and come back.
>>
>>47164847
Only truenamers
>>
>>47154206

>anything with more than one template (thanks DND...)
>easily 90% of non-core races for every system
>children
>characters specifically designed not to fit into the setting (barbarian that hates talking in a court diplomacy game)
>"can I be prince of kingdom X"
>any mary-sue mutt character (half-angel half-demon were-fox ninja-wizard, yes this is extra-banned in DND because of multiple templates)

I make exceptions for the good roleplayers I've met because, as people will tell you in this thread, anything can be awesome and memorable when played right.

But that's a privilege earned by playing multiple games and showing that you are, in fact, a good roleplayer.

Otherwise, you have to convince me to be lenient on the rules by making a strong argument for it, and most of the time it's not going to convince me unless you've legitimately come up with an interesting, well thought-out idea that just so happens to have run afoul of the banned stuff.
>>
>>47154206
>Polearm users
If tg has taught me anything it's not to associate with these faggots
>>
File: 1420900649911.gif (379KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1420900649911.gif
379KB, 480x360px
>>47156046
you did the right thing
>>
>>47156046
Stop posting this
>>
>>47158464

>sociopathy is now a meme

Goddamnit /tg/, learn the difference between this and misanthropy. You can be a misanthrope without a.) having a differing morality than "standard", or b.) (in case /tg/ actually means PSYCHOPATH), being unable to form emotional attachments, feel remorse, have a concept of consequences, or a lack of respect for rules, laws, and boundaries.

That said, >>47158353 sounds like an unfun guy, even though I agree with him about alignment.
>>
>>47158631
>not "litany against bait.jpg"
>>
>>47156046
It is possible to grapple such a large creature, and the dm is being a dick here, not the player, first the player is allowed to roll, and when he manages against all odds (for one action at least, thats like 6 seconds) he is not allowd to after all. If you don't like humans joint locking larger creatures by luck, dont play dnd.
>>
File: Miy8b.gif (199KB, 296x425px) Image search: [Google]
Miy8b.gif
199KB, 296x425px
>>47154261
>mfw I played a octohedron
>>
>>47154206
Every player in my group has lost the right to play paladins.
>>
Abhumans/demihumans and xenos.
>>
>I want to chimera [Party member]
Normally I disallow it because they don't think chimera works like they think it does. Plus is an utter dickmove except in some particular things (IE character is a total deadweight in combat and being good at social doesn't make up for it).
>>
>>47164596
HOLYSHIT THAT'S HILARIOUS.

I want to torment my players by giving all of them this spell and 6s realtime to solve
>>
File: sorcerer.jpg (69KB, 400x351px) Image search: [Google]
sorcerer.jpg
69KB, 400x351px
>>47156081
>tfw my party went all sorcerers

How worried should I be?
>>
>>47170298
stand in the back ;0
>>
>>47170321
But I'm the DM
>>
>>47170243
It cant be as funny as when I found this on the SRD and asked my GM if I could take it. His face when he started reading it was priceless!
>>
>>47170354
Stand WELL back.
>>
>>47170354
in that case, focus the ones that stand in the back
>>
Shouldn't the randomness of Wild Surge be changed from DM's whim to roll a die (1d12??) on attacks and on a 1 roll for Surge. Maybe make it decreasing die on successful (IE no surge) rolls. So at the beginning star on D20 and work your way down until a surge and restart. All though that makes it more predictable
>>
>>47164596
I think I have seen more insane rules, but they were probably in FATAL.
Unless it was created for a group of matematicians who needed to learn how to solve this kind of stuff quickly.
>>
I restrict players to the core races. I don't want a character who is defined by his race. Its a lame and tired cliche.

Instead, I ask them to focus on their tribe/clan/family background etc.
>>
I must be blissfully ignorant about something here: why do so many GMs ban Gnomes/Halflings?
>>
>>47155091
So DnD is not a valid system to gm in now? You can go fuck off you elitist prick
>>
>>47155315
In my settings the kender go's framed the gnome god for his crimes against the kobold goddess and is responsiblefor the current generations long race war
>>
>>47171984
Played by lolrandumb shitters who think it's funny to play a character with the personality of a coked-up squirrel, Tumblrkin who have an attraction to the races because they figure in a lot of their artsy stories about fairies that are metaphors for several kinds of nonexistent discrimination, and people who think comedic relief is a valid role for a player character in an even halfway serious campaign.
>>
>Drow
>Dragonborn
>Tieflings

These are monsters. Not common player races.
>>
>>47155154
Dude, this guy would give autism a bad name.
>>
>>47154206
>Divination wizard
Why?
I understand wil magic sorcerer because nobody likes to be killed by friendlyfire with a random fireball
>>
>>47172085
Only 33% correct. How does it feel to be so wrong?
>>
I don't allow shit that's from the internet (excluding official unearthed arcana stuff from WotC)

I shouldn't have to say that, but if you don't you'll be fucking disgusted at the shit some people will show you.
>>
>Is another OP is a faggot episode
This season is literally repeating the same episode over and over, it's like fucking House
>>
>>47172150
It feels like my party isn't full of autistic snowflakes.
>>
>>47172085
>Not common player races.
Maybe in your setting, but they're in Faerum
>>
>>47172187
>Common races in DnD
>Snowflake
The fuck?
>>
File: this guy gets it.jpg (138KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
this guy gets it.jpg
138KB, 472x472px
>>47165744
>>47154595
>>
>>47170243
I used it, under that exact condition. Easy. Then we ended the campaign because everything became 2ez.
>>
>>47172199
>>47172216
>it's in the PHB, that means it's a common race
Honestly this is the worst thing that 4e and 5e did.
>>
>>47172066
I'll take "things that never happened" for 100, Alex.
>>
>>47154960
Ah, yes. I remember there were a lot of christian monks walking around, doing kung fu back in those days.
>>
>>47172199
I've always played Greyhawk so I'm not too familiar with Forgotten Realms, but even if they are common races they seem the most likely to be abused for special snowflake points and edgemasters.
>>
>>47172187
I like the party being singular, like the runaways or outsiders
>>
>>47154595

WHY IS PIPER SO CUTE.
>>
>>47172261
Nah, they just had big sticks
>>
>>47172271
Because mods?
>>
>>47172248
Let me repeat it
Maybe in your setting, but they're in Faerun. They're not uncommon neither snowflake, you don't like them? perfect, but don't come up with stupid madeup reasons to validate your tastes.
>>
>>47172267
Like a whole party of one race? I wouldn't force it on them unless they were up for it, but that does sound like a pretty cool game.
>>
>>47172262
That Guys are going to roll special snowflakes and edgelord characters even if you only allow human commoners.

Races and classes don't create bad players, bad players ruin races and classes, is different.
>>
>>47172261
The real monks had about the same combat potential as D&D monks.
>>
>>47172307

Anyone can be made cute with mods.

Even you,
>>
File: Tomoko.jpg (82KB, 442x351px) Image search: [Google]
Tomoko.jpg
82KB, 442x351px
>>47172369
Y-you too
>>
File: citation needed.jpg (23KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
citation needed.jpg
23KB, 550x550px
>>47172309
>dragonborn and tieflings are common in Faerun
>drow often leave the underdark to join adventuring parties in Faerun
>>
>>47154261

Oh come on. Sacred Geometry is awesome. It's no worse than a smooth-tongued player being able to do social stuff with a 7 Charisma character.
>>
>>47156046

anon, I just want to say thank you
>>
All monks are weebs
All rangers are muh Drizzt dual wielding sues
All dwarves are muh ale and master craftmanship
All elves are elitist snobs faggots
All wizards/clerics/druids are powergamers
All fighters are unimaginative whiners
All rogues are lolrandum evil
All barbarians are murderhoboes
All gnomes are lolrandum tinkerers
All dragonborns are sues
All warlocks and tieflings are edgelords
All aasimars are supreme edgelords
Etc

How to avoid this? don't play games
>>
>>47172389
Read the PHB and SCAG in 5e
Read the PHB and countless books in 4e

They literally tell you that even though they aren't as common as humans they still aren't rare and you can see many in the cities

I bet you think Aussies are special snowflakes too
>>
I play alone, this way players can't ruin my games. Yeah, I know, fucking genius, thank me later.
>>
>>47172432
Lies. I see nothing that says they're common enough to warrant being a PC race.
>>
>>47172491
If it makes you feel better I can't find anything that says Humans, or any other race in the PHB, should be a PC race.
>>
>>47172409
So why are you here?
>>
>>47172576
Sharing my wisdom
>>
>>47172542
I see that the book clearly says that most of tieflings are killed by their own horrified parents moments after birth, so I see no reason they would be any more common than the average circus freak.
>>
>>47172620
>4e and 5e
>Tieflings killed by their own parents
Why, because they also have horns like them?

>Sorry Laura, the kid is just exactly like us and like anyone from our city, we must kill him because he might feel integrated in our society instead of different...imagine how much of a normal childhoow he would have
>Oh god, please spare him that awful normalcy
>>
>>47172676
>like them
Educate yourself, nigger.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tiefling
>>
>>47172703
Is this bait?
Tieflings in 4e and 5e are a race, from two tieflings a tiefling is born, from two humans can't born a tiefling, from a human and tiefling can't born shit.

Tieflings are the consequence of an old civilization who made a pact with demons, since then all descendants from that civilization are an entire different race from humans, the tiefling, like Dwarves.

And just so you know, if a human borns with inhuman features was also killed.
>>
>>47172703
>Tieflings who had strikingly inhuman features were often killed at birth by their horrified parents or others. Only those tieflings with subtle features or born to someone indifferent to their appearance, either out of acceptance or cruel purpose, were likely to reach adulthood.[7]
>7 Reynolds, Forbeck, Jacobs, Boyd (March 2003). Races of Faerƻn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 125. ISBN 0-7869-2875-1.
>2003
So, it's a 3.5 supplement, not 4e or 5e. You need to keep up with the current fluff. Reading the citations at the bottom, the most recent thing in that article is from 2009, so it's basically irrelevant to 5e.
>>
>>47172826
And yet, I've seen nothing in 5e to indicate that the status of things have changed.
>>
>>47172847
>And yet, I've seen nothing in 5e to indicate that the status of things have changed.
Mostly because you're either blind or don't read the books
>>
>>47172876
Nigger I'm reading it right now. There is nothing there saying I'm not right.
>>
>>47172409
Play with people that aren't terrible.
>>
>>47172876
Tieflings in 4e and 5e are the spawns of old humans who made a pact with Asmodeus centuries ago, they're their own race, not hybrids or the spaws of demons and humans, no, they're now their own race, it's in the damn books, maybe you should read them.

And yes, there're a small part of tieflings that are ye olde 'my granddad was Azazel' but there aren't stats for those therefore they aren't playable
>>
>>47172895
SCAG mentions the machinations or Asmodeus and the spellplague, now go to 4e and read the lore.
>>
>>47173015
>4e
You mean the edition with the lore that got retconned out?
>>
>>47172847
>And yet, I've seen nothing in 5e to indicate that the status of things have changed.
they changed, they're now a playable race from the PHB ;^)
>>
>>47172978
5e tieflings and dragonborn can be, iirc, part devil/part dragon or whatever. I know dragonborn can be or are part dragon in 5e.
>>
>>47173035
Some stuff got retconned, other like the machinations of Asmodeus, the spellplague and what are the Tieflings didn't, why do you think they mention it in a damn 5e book? because that, specifically, wasn't retconned.
>>
>>47170206
>not having them get Summoned
>>
>>47173072
I have read about the bullshit Asmodeus pulled off. I still see nothing that says that we didn't see tieflings being born to otherwise human parents. Not one single fucking thing.
>>
>>47173132
I also didn't see that humans are born from humans in 5e
>>
>a character not of the players gender.
with rare exceptions i do not want my players to try and Stereotype the other Sex.
i have some people I played with for a long time, who can pull it of without going all fetish and/or annoying. but for the most part, no.

also wtf is a kender, i looked it up and pictures just suggest, a different Name for Gnome or Halfling?
>>
>>47173206
>stereotype

Its a character. As long as its within the realm of possibility for the target sex its fine.
>>
>>47173206
Kender are halflings that are impossible to not love according to the fluff, and also innocent kleptomaniacs, who have no concept of ownership. They attract That Guys like no other.
>>
>We list things we will never let anyone run
Nothing, I always give the benefit of the doubt to any player and if he's being disruptive I ban the player not the race/class/option, removing those don't make the disruptive player less disruptive, it just shifts the focus of his tardiness.
>>
>>47173235
i just had too many guys playing slutty elves.
and I don't even have anything against slutty elves.
but if that is the only concept your character is based of, fuck you. Women don't go about and try to solve every Problem by being sexy as fuck and sleeping with everybody.
well maybe they do but I don't want that in My Game, at least not all the time.
And I had alteast five guys doing that before I started to forbid it.
>>
>>47173398
admittetly all of those were New players.
but 3 of them made way better characters with interesting personality in later campaigns.
which let me to the concept of, prove you can play an interesting character. then you can play a character of a different gender.
>>
>>47173341
>Kender are halflings that are impossible to not love according to the fluff, and also innocent kleptomaniacs, who have no concept of ownership. They attract That Guys like no other.
If you've never read any of it, sure. The original trilogy alone is rife with dislike or outright hate for Kender. They aren't allowed in cities, are generally seen as a nuisance, are rounded up and kicked out, etc.

As far as the rest, it's just like having a rogue. It's even the same 'but I steal things' justification.
>>
>>47171887

If you haven't tried RuneQuest, you probably should.
>>
>>47173398
Well that's fair enough, I don't admire promiscuity and wouldn't play a slutty female character.

Also depends on the woman and depends on the stakes, if its your average generic fantasy game where the PCs are questing to savez da vorld, or wandering homeless people barely scraping together survival, its 100% reasonable for a woman to slut her way out of it.
>>
>>47173838
And Dragonlance Adventures: the RPG says that they're viewed as incorrigible and that people know they don't mean harm, except for black hearted villains etc.
>>
>>47158353
>Players have fun comes third
You are literally the worst kind of DM. I want to say worst kind of person, but that would be stretching. You're at least bottom 10 types of person.
>>
>>47156662
>Not having a dwarf with a weapon in his name.
>>
>>47174783
No, it doesn't.
>>
>>47158615
>my sample size of 1 is a conclusive end all statement for all groups with friends.
>>
>>47174985
meh, sooner or later someone will post that one kender picture straight from the book
til then I don't have the energy
>>
>>47158159
I wish most people who credit Shakespeare on the invebtion of so many words would realise that he was just using words that had already been in use as slang and such by the general populace long beforehand, but Shakespeare was the first to actually write them down, or at least the first to write them down and have his works survive to the modern day.
>>
>>47158425
>I don't play RPGs to hang out with friends
That's really depressing to hear, anon. I'm sorry for you.
>>
>>47159183
Humans only have two feet, anon.
>>
>>47157416
So not fantasy....
Just humans or midget hairy humans
What a faggot
>>
I ban gnomes
We already have halflings

Other then that, anything is on the table pending on the player, setting, and reasoning.
Ive let a player run a mothsfolk wizard. It was fun
>>
File: 1313717288518.png (30KB, 227x276px) Image search: [Google]
1313717288518.png
30KB, 227x276px
>Wizards
>Sorcerers
>Duids
>Monks
>Psions
>Rogues
>Paladins
>Barbarians
>Bards
>Warlocks
>Elves
>Dwarves
>Orks
>Animals
>Kender
>Gnomes
>Halfling
>Living Creatures in general
>Creative exceptions to any of these rules.

Skeleton fighters only.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.