[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the dwarves hate elves and vice versa thing come from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: dwarf_to_elf.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf_to_elf.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Where did the dwarves hate elves and vice versa thing come from? Why would they even care about each other? They don't live in the same environments and both have a tendency to keep to themselves. Seems like both would be annoyed with humans more often since they settle everywhere.

And to preemptively avoid a certain kind of shitflinging, this trope seems to have been featured in books and games before 90% of fa/tg/uys on this board today could post here without getting underage b&. Don't go there.
>>
Why'd you post that retarded webm?
Do you actually think it's funny?
Are you retarded?

Far more pressing questions.
>>
>>47087824
I was talking about how OP seems to make this same thread with the same webm every day now.

I know our posts were deleted, but you're probably still here.
>>
>>47087924
Because I save most of the webms that get posted and it was the only relevant thing I had.
>>
>>47087824
Probably because they're each other's polar opposites?
>>
>>47087938
I've seen it posted once a few days ago and I saved it in my webm folder. It actually made me wonder where the meme started.

>tfw /tg/ is so easily trolled you don't have to try anymore
>>
>>47087824
Tolkein
>>
>>47087824
Both are arrogant and stubborn bricks and feel that the other betrayed their trust who knows how many generations ago and are both too strong headed to forgive before the other side apologizes
>>
>>47088028
I wonder what he would think of all the cliches in modern fantasy works he inadvertently spawned.
>>
>>47088087
Dwarves are better at carrying grudges than elves are.
>>
>>47087824

>all that ignorance

http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2012/05/15/what-was-the-cause-of-strife-between-elves-and-dwarves/
>>
>>47088121

Noldor and Melkor m8
>>
Where the Elf-dwarf conflict came from originally was The Hobbit book, where the Elves refused to die fighting a Dragon, and as a result the Dwarf prince Thorin hates all Elves, even if the other dwarves don't really share his burning hatred. Why the Dwarf-elf conflict has been continued and expanded is a little more difficult to answer.
Dwarves are short, overweight, bearded alcoholics who sit in dark, underground homes, sealed away from the surface world, who refuse to change unless they absolutely have to. They are the average fa/tg/uy.
Elves are tall, pretty, physically fit, outdoorsy people who live in nature and actually care about the natural world, instead of exploiting it for personal gain. The opposite of a fa/tg/uy.
It's very easy to portray the Elves as arrogant and snobby for thinking that they're better than everyone else, even though they are actually better than everyone else by most metrics. As such, they're the go-to vessels for the hate and resentment that fa/tg/uy's feel towards their social betters. All they need to do is repeatedly show that dwarves are really the superior ones, by portraying everything the dwarves do as being justified, better, and superior, while portraying everything the elves do as being unjustified and inferior.
>"Dwarves burned down an elven forest and massacred the innocents within because some elf may or may not have given an askew look at a dwarf at some point in the past? They had it coming. Fucking Elves."
>"Elves tried to massacre the dwarves in revenge but failed miserably because Dwarves are so much better warriors than them? Typical violent elves, always hating on us dwarves for no reason. Fucking Elves."
They don't get the irony that stomping around, proclaiming dwarves to be superior in every single way means that they're just as bad as the elves they claim are bad for being arrogant self-aggrandizing assholes.
>>
>>47088182
That doesn't really address fantasy books that wank elves very hard and still throw in this conflict.
>>
>>47088250

A great deal of fantasy history is bad JRRT fanfictions. Why would you expect anything good coming from those?
>>
>>47088284
How many more decades before we're free from it? Scifi follows its own archetypes but I find it ironic that pop Scifi can be more creative with its races than pop Fantasy.
>>
>>47089603
>>47089603

Well, see /tg/, Elves are impossible to take out at least from "fantasy adventuring" for most people.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.