[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Battletech General: Throne Room Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 55

File: 1437784714758.jpg (994KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1437784714758.jpg
994KB, 1920x1080px
/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

Old Thread: >>46889817→ #

===================================
Combat Manuals: Mercenaries (final build)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/62qpwm49e3pjdgn/E-CAT35260_Combat_Manual_Mercenaries.pdf

Touring the Stars Compilation
https://mega.nz/#!ixlWHA5Y!VC7rjxgsAxnDddAkvqFU2LF2U7oU8zE_X6dYUV5Ggqs

Touring the Stars Manassas
https://mega.nz/#!vt8k2DaS!IR0VJXpFyhcWhDOZHF_uNo7yaBHNqKo2h-2nrSaENRc
===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
File: draconis.png (31KB, 441x428px) Image search: [Google]
draconis.png
31KB, 441x428px
Shiro Kurita: A balanced leader that fights for justice.
>>
>>46929726
Sounds about right.
>>
If the Republic was dedicated to stopping conflict, how did Amanda Hasek get away with the Victoria conflict?

Or did they not care given the Capellans were an enemy?
>>
>>46929726
Sounds like Trump.
>>
>>46929691

I assume that image is circa sometime before the War of 3039?

That tactical table they're standing over looks like the Rasalhague republic sandwiched between the Combine and Federated Commonwealth like the maps usually depict.
>>
>>46930052
That's fan art, and Shimmy probably doesn't care
>>
File: simon.jpg (28KB, 496x378px)
simon.jpg
28KB, 496x378px
>>46930052
I'm pretty sure it's just a giant game of Simon.
>>
>mechs named after medieval weapons
>not a single mech named after modern weapons

Where's my mech named Kalashnikov? Or Glock? I would expect someone from the 28th / 32nd centuries would pay an homage to these ancient guns
>>
>>46914486
Unlikely, considering that Janos Marik was a thing years before Herb ever came on the scene.
>>
Steiner most stronk thread pic. My night is made. Now to get drunk play mega mek alone and hate life.
>>
>>46931211
glock should be the MOST boring but handy trooper ever, like an enforcer or vindi with half the flavor.
>>
>>46931211
There's the Enfield at least.
Mostly, I think it's that modern guns are either just boring model numbers or the inventor's last name, as in your examples, and those make for pretty boring mech names
>>
>>46931362
It should also carry a bunch of un-CASE'd MG ammo
>>
>>46930052
Clan Invasion era map. It just wasn't updated real time.
>>
>>46931437
what's up /k/?

>>46931411
I never thought about that one, probably because I'm an idiot and I own an SMLE
>>
File: image.jpg (931KB, 2598x1836px)
image.jpg
931KB, 2598x1836px
>>46931411
>the inventor's last name[...] make for pretty boring mech names
I'll cut you, nigga
>>
>>46929691
Aren't those Summoners flanking the throne?
>>
>>46931831
Griffins.
>>
>>46931831
Griffins. Those Are Griffins.
>>
>>46931858
>>46931863
Bait for the bait god. Ignore it.
>>
File: 1454940876575.jpg (16KB, 591x223px) Image search: [Google]
1454940876575.jpg
16KB, 591x223px
>>46931684
dear GOD, the print lines on that thing. Invest in some filler primer or wet-sand that bitch or SOMETHING.
>>
>>46931319
nice blog
>>
>>46931684
Nnngh that mini, I just ordered my MWO inspired Atlas from that Russian website.
>>
Why do the Regulans insist on antagonizing the Oriente?
>>
>>46932169
Why did Bohemia insist on pissing on Austria for most of the 14 and 1500s?
>>
File: 1461041316482.jpg (256KB, 1272x700px) Image search: [Google]
1461041316482.jpg
256KB, 1272x700px
>>46929726
>>
File: concept-cyclops-hero.png (812KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
concept-cyclops-hero.png
812KB, 1000x1000px
>Cycloptic asshole
>>
>>46932598
>This no Zaku my boy, no Zaku!
>>
>>46932638
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyGleM-B1zI
>>
>>46932598
Outside of a command ride are there any decent cyclops for just basic old assaults?
>>
>>46932169
Important preface: Kirc Cameron-Jones is, in best BT tradition, a leader with serious mental issues including severe paranoia and rampant backstabbing.

So after the whole C*/WoB breakup, the WoB needed a place to regroup, and since Gibson was a tolerant place and Thomas Marik was friendly to them they went there. Gibson was a former Regulan world that had decided to leave the Principality, and the Regulans decided to foster the New Gibson Freedom League as a proxy force in an attempt to get Gibson back, and smuggled everything up to and including nuclear weapons to the rebels.

In 3068, WoB reveals Thomas Marik is an impostor. Despite other people supporting him anyways, Kirc Cameron-Jones decides this is the perfect time to lose his shit and declares himself Captain-General. Thomas Marik is eventually forced out and goes to live quietly with his father-in-law on Oriente in 3069-3070. Kirc is super butthurt about Thomas still being alive, so he decides to send a Regulan force to Oriente in an attempt to nuke it to death in 3071. Fortunately, Regulans are shit at anything that does not involve short-term genocidal rage, and Oriente has naval forces, so they get wiped out.

Meanwhile, the FWL formally cedes Gibson to the Word of Blake (also in 3071).

In 3072 the Blakists decide that Kirc really needs to calm his shit, so they land on Regulus to sort him out. His girlfriend of the day reveals that she is actually a Blakist agent, and that she has been manipulating him in response to his actions against the Word. Kirc does not take the breakup well, and begins a massive purge of Regulan society, eventually killing over a million people, most of whom are innocent, for perceived Blakist sympathies. He also arrests his own son, because he was getting popular.

(1/2)
>>
>>46933123

In 3073, Kirc decides that he needs to show the Sphere he's not in fact an impotent cuck, and sends a force to Gibson. They get their clocks cleaned by the Blakists, losing yet another ground force and fleet. Kirc is now insanely (literally) paranoid and begins planning another round of purges, when the Regulan military overthrows him and puts his son Titus in charge.

Blakist and Regulan forces would have several more clashes over the next five years, including several attacks on other FWL planets - most notably Irian - until in 3075 Titus gets married. As a wedding present the WoB arranges a ceasefire, and also give Titus a warning to be isolationist. This ceasefire is almost immediately broken by the Regulans when they attempt to kill the Blakist delegation, and get their shit slapped hard. Titus then for some reason decides to start attacking the Marik Commonwealth.

In 3078 Titus still needs to stoke his interstellar penis, so he sends yet another task force to Gibson. They skip the formalities and nuke Gibson to death, this being literally the only thing they can succeed at. Amusingly, most of the Blakist forces were elsewhere, and they don't achieve much. The main guy they were after, the Master, escapes. They then nuke every world they can find that he visited, eventually genociding five planets, three of which the Master only jumped through.

This is the last straw for the League, which breaks apart into various states, which all start fighting over who can become Captain General. Throughout all this, the Regulans have a tremendous hateboner for the rest of the FWL for their perceived Blakist connections, despite the Blakists playing pretty much every side and attacking all the people the Regulans are mad at for working with the Blakists.

No, the entirety of the events in the FWL and particularly whatever the fuck Regulus does makes zero sense whatsoever.
>>
>>46933123
>>46933183
On the one hand I love the Jihad, but on the other hand it's really, really shit.
>>
>>46933123
>>46933183

Well I think I can gather why the Free Worlds League didn't reform itself behind them.
>>
>>46933183
>the Regulans have a tremendous hateboner for the rest of the FWL for their perceived Blakist connections
And the existing one for the rest of the league slowly picking their sub-state apart since the FWL was founded.

But MARIK STRONK, right?
>>
>>46932981
The 11-Z is decent. Max armor, gauss rifle in place of the AC, ERMlas, DHS. Not amazing, but it's a 4/6 SFE at 90 tons.
>>
>>46933183
>No, the entirety of the events in the FWL and particularly whatever the fuck Regulus does makes zero sense whatsoever.
Dark Age Retroactive Nuclear Moron Syndrome. It was a common affliction during the jihad
>>
File: 300px-FWL_Parliament.jpg (48KB, 300x379px) Image search: [Google]
300px-FWL_Parliament.jpg
48KB, 300x379px
>>46933306
Laugh all you want peasant,

Witness the perfectly harmonious free worlds league parliment in all its unified glory
>>
>>46933425
much purple
many freedom
wow
also, this is funny being it's one of the more free thinking factions and this looks JUST like my lodge building.
>>
>>46933257
>>46933373

Now to be fair, it seems the rulers in Battletech have always been plagued by questionable decision making.
>>
What does /btg/ think would have happened if Battletech's setting and fluff had been written by good writers instead of game designers and the novel writers? Like, not individual "what ifs" for how certain events would have gone down, but how would it have effected the franchise as a whole? Do you think it might have brought more people in? Less? Would the fandom have less hardcore faction fans? More? The same?
>>
>>46933619
That's just such a stupidity subjective question that it can't be answered in any reasonable way
>>
>>46933373
>>46933306
>>46933275
>>46933257
>>46933183
>>46933123
I forgot to add that despite such rectal ravaging, they immediately took former Blakist troops in to form their military in the aftermath of the FWL breaking up.

>>46933306
>Selaj family totally fails at being CG
>continually attempt to undercut the Mariks for 600+ years
>launch an assassination campaign against the Mariks (scourge of death)
>Regulans treat their worlds like shit
>Worlds leave (Camlann vs FWL & H.G. Regulus etc)
>REGULUS DINDU NUFFIN NEED MO MONEY FOR THEM GENOCIDE FLEETS

Fuck off, poo-in-space-loo
>>
>>46933619

I don't see how this is at all possible. Good writing in gaming simply doesn't exist.

Name a tabletop gaming franchise that's lasted for 15+ years with a significant majority (75%+) of "good" writing in all of its game documentation, fiction/novels, and sourcebooks. I can't. I'm willing to bet that nobody else can either. If you want good writing out of a tabletop franchise, stop playing tabletop games. It will never happen.
>>
>>46933619

Pretty much every plot arc can be saved by trimming excess retardation, adding more foreshadowing/explanation, and extending the time it happens over.
>>
>>46933908
Traveller?
>>
>>46933908
Delta Green
>>
>>46934003

System is decent. Imperium fluff is absolute dog shit. The strength of Traveller is that it's a skeleton of a rules system and your GM can make up their own fluff that's optimized for their individual players.
>>
>>46934062

Lol @ lovecraftian anything = "good writing". Pull the other one.
>>
>>46934062

>>46933908 here

Is that still even being published? The last RPG supplement I have for Delta Green is from 2010; "Targets of Opportunity". In any case, their entire product line is like 8 books, a few magazine articles, and something like a half-dozen online scenarios From 1997-2010. That hardly compares to Battletech, AND doesn't meet the 15 year requirement (half of Battletech's lifespan).

>>46934003

I'm not as familiar with Traveller as I'd like to be, but I didn't think people played that system for the fluff. Everybody I've talked to basically agrees with >>46934085 insofar as the system is amazing but the fluff is pretty lackluster and GMs usually ignore it to build their own worlds.
>>
>>46934085
>System is decent. Imperium fluff is absolute dog shit.
Indeed, but traveller content is mostly rulebooks and rules supplements and decent adventures by volume, with straight fluff stuff being fairly rare, so I figured it'd be close to if not over the specified 75%
>>
>>46934162
They're launching a reboot/continuation/update now-ish - not sure of details since I haven't been following it closely. Delta GReen was first published in 1997, so it's only a year short.

They also have novels iirc.

>>46934102
lol at some random internet faggot knowing what good writing is or isn't
>>
>>46934168

I can see where you're coming from, but given that the discussion is pretty explicitly about metaplot and fluff writing in Battletech, I don't think the comparison is appropriate. It's a lot of good writing, but not the kind of "good writing" that we'd need for Battletech, if that makes sense. The fluff and ficitonal history behind the game is a huge part of the reason people like the franchise. If, to get "good writing", we'd have to get rid of the metaplot and fluff of the game, I don't think Battletech would have been as successful or survived as it has/did. Certainly the core wargame mechanics aren't so strong that they can prop up a franchise on their own in a manner Traveller's can.
>>
>>46934245
You're right, of course. In it's other games, GDW was pretty good with metaplots, but none of them lasted long enough to count for this discussion; Twilight: 2000 and Traveller: 2300 come to mind
>>
>>46931969

At this scale it looks like zimmereit, or whatever that kraut shit is called.
>>
>>46933908
>Name a tabletop gaming franchise that's lasted for 15+ years with a significant majority (75%+) of "good" writing in all of its game documentation, fiction/novels, and sourcebooks

You're talking about something like a 40K-scale franchise. That's the *only* tabletop WARGAMING franchise with legs and a breadth of products anywhere close to BattleTech's.

If we expand into tabletop RPG franchises, we get a few more options. To compare to BattleTech and to match up with your time requirement, we'd need to have a core game, fluff sourcebooks, rulebooks, and a novel line. That limits us to D&D, 40K, WHFB, Legend of the Five Rings, Shadowrun, Star Trek, Star Wars, Traveller, and Delta Green (>>46934162 there's a novel line too, but your point about not a lot of stuff is sound; it's easy to have good writing when you only release 1 book/year, tops). So, of those...

D&D, 40K, Star Trek, Star Wars
>Yeah, no.

Shadowrun
>Closer, but IMO it falls apart during the late FASA era when the fiction and metaplot get...weird.

L5R
>They failed at 'good writing' the day they put their metaplot in the hands of the card game players. Which, IIRC, was Day 1.

Traveller
>I generally agree with >>46934085. It has to have both well-written fluff AND rules. Traveller nails the 2nd. Not the 1st.

Delta Green
>I don't know enough to say. That said, I don't feel they're a good comparison because of how little product they release, compared so, say 1990-era FASA.

WHFB
>The RPG and novel lines for WHFB range from "average" to "pretty good"; especially the RPG sourcebooks. I'd say that Green Ronin qualifies as "good writers", though the stuff from Black Library isn't.

Your larger point stands. Good writing in an RPG franchise is VANISHINGLY rare, and it gets rarer the more product you release. Given that, I don't think that there was ever even a possibility of BT getting generally acclaimed "good writing."
>>
Which introtech mechs remain most viable into later eras? Say specifically the Jihad and Dark Age
>>
>>46934411

You can't go wrong with bugs. Hell, the introtech Wasp is so good they never even bothered with a royal version.
>>
Does the Grand Dragon look significantly different from the Dragon, or are they outwardly similar?
>>
>>46934411
Awesome, Archer, Banshee 3S...
Uh, the Griffin is still okay.

>>46934423
>I want to die to pulse lasers
>>
>>46934478
>I want to die to pulse lasers

>Dies to removal
>Must be bad
>>
>>46934500
You are literally wagering your mech on your opponent not bringing a widely-used and common weapons system.
>>
>>46934391
>That said, I don't feel they're a good comparison because of how little product they release, compared so, say 1990-era FASA.

Personally I feel like this is a core reason why Delta Green stuff is pretty good. They have the time to do each thing well. If anything it seems the BattleTech release rate hurt more than it helped - in terms of average quality, at least.
>>
>>46934411
Urbie
>>
>>46934411
Without upgrading to a post-helm version?
Grasshopper/Guillotine, Wolfhound, energy boats in general.
>>
>>46934411

Wolverine-M

Archer-2R/2S (with appropriate specialty munitions)

Mongoose

OG Marauder II is still a pain in the ass to kill.

>>46934473

The Into-Tech version only differsin the PPC arm.

The upgraded version turns one ML to the rear because hurr Dracs durr.
>>
Anyone think we should rewrite the 1d4chan article on battletech to reflect the existence of Catalyst and maybe have less complaining about Pokemon?
>>
>>46934411
In addition to what's already been mentioned, the Mackie 7 and 8 series are great, cheap gunbrick units.
Also, the Griffin-S and Thud-SS are both excellent, as are the Lineholder, Merlin, Shad-K and Vindicator
>>
>>46934411

Awesome, Guillotine/Grasshopper, the 3S Banshee, Marauder II...basically, heavy and assault zombies tend to remain viable.

The light stuff does not, because they are neither fast enough nor tough enough to survive against accuracy-enhancing technology and/or against units which are both faster AND harder-hitting than they are. 3025 Light Mechs essentially topped out at being able to deal 8 points of damage in one hit (large laser) or a few 5-point hits; anything that hit harder was very slow. And even if it had both medium AND large lasers (Wolfhound...), heat still limited the amount of firepower it could project; survive a round of fire and you could usually run away. A location that had 8-10 points of armor, therefore, was generally adequate to protect against a round or two of fire from an equivalent unit. But then you end up seeing light Mechs that are just as fast as you (6/0/x or better) and can throw 25-30 points of damage around, every round, without slowing down, and even hit your for 10-15 point bricks. 3025 Light mechs are just totally outclassed by 3055 in every POSSIBLE way. Speed, armor, firepower; every one is deficient.

It is worth nothing, though, that one Mech has EXACTLY the same amount of utility for a force whether you're in 3025 or 3145. That singular example of Mech design is the Shadow Hawk -2H.

>"effectively zero" is the same in both eras.
>>
>>46934658
Hey now, at least the -2H isn't the -2D!
>>
>>46934523
The problem with that is the fact that the BT universe is just MUCH bigger than that of Delta Green, which is highly constrained both geographically and time-wise.

Let's assuming BattleTech was going to start over from scratch, but still want to construct the SCALE of the universe they've already created. Assume there are four "eras" for the game (SLDF, Succession Wars, Clan Invasion, Civil War) that we know up front we're going to do, with the possibility of more later-on. At a *minimum*, I'd want to see the following in EACH era:

>1 fluff/rules sourcebook per Great House, 1 sourcebook per 4 minor factions (ish, more than 4 factions in a book means you're not doing a proper job, generally speaking); so about 8-10 faction sourcebooks. Assume 8 for now.
>2 TROs, 1 Mech-entric, 1 "everything else"
>2 scenario packs
>1 era-appropriate campaign book
>1 era-appropriate RPG companion book
>6-10 novels (or a short-story collection in place of a novel)

In addition, we need (these aren't era-specific and so only need published once):
>Core TT wargame rulebook
>Core RPG rulebook
>ONE and only one "advanced rules" TT Wargame rulebook
>Core space combat rulebook (optional)

This is roughly what it would take to develop the game world as deep as the one we have. At the Delta Green Publishing rates, doing all of the above for just ONE era would take about 12-14 years. There's still 3 eras to go. So it would take what? About 50-60 years to get the BT universe *not even back to where it is NOW* if we went at those rates.

"Write less stuff" only goes so far, and doesn't work with all game genres. DG doesn't *need* as much stuff written for it as BT does. Just because BT needs that much *stuff*, the writing quality WILL suffer no matter what anyone does.

(Don't take this as a defense of CGL/FASA. They could vet writers a LOT better than they do. But I don't think it's actually possible to get a product like BT published *and* have "good writing".)
>>
>>46934742

So funny thing? I like the -2D more. Load infernos and use Hidden Unit rules to ambush vehicles,and it actually functions adequately. Not *well*, certainly. But loading more close-range weapons at least gives the stupid thing a LITTLE focus. It's incredible shittyness can be made to work *for* you, if you can massage the scenario to your liking.

The -2H is just equally terrible at EVERYTHING it tries, at every range. The only thing it's good for is closing to make melee attacks...and the fact that it's got 3 jump (while flavorful as fuck) means it's objectively bad at that, too, since a 4/6 Mech can easily clear the Shad's jump radius. It's just useless ALL the time, whereas the -2D is only useless 98% of the time.

This will forever piss me off, because I love the look of the Mech. What was the first maxim of TRO 3025? "The pleasurable aesthetics of a Mech are inversely proportional to its battlefield effectiveness."
>>
>>46934658
On the subject of the Shadow Hawk's failings, I've been thinking for a while now that it should have been a generic medium trooper from the start. Dropping it to 4/6 frees up enough tonnage to upgrade the LRM to a 10, the SRM to a 4, add a 4th jump jet and a ton of armor.
Still not a powerhouse 'mech, but a more effective generalist, kind of a mini-Thud.
>>
Agreed. Now I loved the idea of how shad's played.

I thought maybe MWO would save them.. no worse than TT.
>>
>>46934949
1)partly it's just a matter of taking more time on any given thing may make the thing better.

2) BattleTech had resources beyond anything Delta Green ever had.

3) BattleTech is probably harder to write for than Delta Green - although getting good DG stuff is probably harder than getting good BT stuff.

Overall, I agree that the scale of BT works against it in a lot of ways. Especially when compared to 40K, where fact-checking and all that is chucked out the window and you can pretty much do whatever you want.
>>
>>46935077
>>46935122
Once the Mariks upgrade them, though.. Sweet Lord, I love me the Shad upgrade. The base one is one of those "it always contributes but never shines" designs.
>>
File: thisisagoodsign.jpg (189KB, 1058x918px) Image search: [Google]
thisisagoodsign.jpg
189KB, 1058x918px
>>46935260
It's the only good Marik upgrade
>>
>>46935260
Eh, that -5M has ammo problems. That LRM-20 is under supplied, and the SSRM2 becomes superfluous in the CI. Plus UAC/5 a shit.
>>
>>46935077
I actually disagree about the shad. I've found that it does well in two roles; the first is as a 'Battle Buddy' for another mech; it can give assistance in a lot of roles, where it wouldn't be very good on it's own. For example, paired with something like a griffin or vindicator, it can give supplimentry plinking fire with it's AC and LRMs, or with say a Hunchback or other CQC design, it uses SRMs and the ML and fists for a bit of critseeking to go with the can opener.
The other role is specialty munitions carrier; fit a shad with Thunder LRMs and Infernos and your AC ammo of choice (I like AP in this role, personally, though Flak is also a nice choice if the enemy likes VTOLs) and have it muck up the field for area control and take pot shots. It's pretty good at this, and being a shad, people tend to ignore it while it's doing it's work, only to find themselves surrounded by fire and mines
>>
File: SHD-What If.png (40KB, 708x1324px)
SHD-What If.png
40KB, 708x1324px
>>46935122

I can understand where you're coming from on that. I disagree, insofar as I loved the "55-ton trio" fluff and they should all be 5/8/x units.

For me, it all comes back to how badly FASA screwed up the autocannon masses. The Shad shouldn't have had SRMs in the first place; if it managed to have some flavor of AC/5 (torso), Large Laser (arm), LRM-5/10 (torso), I would be totally and completely fine with it. But autocannons are just pretty close to twice as heavy as they ought to be, had FASA actually run math.

Here, just for sake of comparison, imagine if the AC/5 was 4 tons instead of 8 tons. No other changes - still 4 crits, 20 shots/ton, etc. How much better does THIS Shadow Hawk look for a 3025 battlefield?

Aside from, y'know, like it actually BELONGS there.
>>
>>46935403
For those of us not following along at home, what changes did you make?
>>
>>46935322

NICE. PIC.

And the Shad -7M is by far the best Shad, IMO. One of the extremely few good uses of an LGR (a Vanquisher in a C3i net still being the best non-aerospace use).
>>
File: rab.jpg (187KB, 600x673px) Image search: [Google]
rab.jpg
187KB, 600x673px
>>46931969
>Crab

>Dinner time

>First, always select Dungeness that are feisty and active. They should come out of the tank fighting. Never buy crabs that come out of the tank with no fight in them. Sniff them. They should smell clean, like the ocean. If you detect any ammonia odor, do not buy. Cook the crabs the day you buy them, preferably within a few hours of purchase. They will not last long outside of the saltwater tank, so this is not something you can keep in your refrigerator overnight. When you get home, put the crabs in your refrigerator. This will get them sleepy and sluggish and makes them easier for you to handle them.

>Calculate your cooking time as 7 minutes per pound. If you're cooking more than one crab, calculate by average crab weight, not total crab weight. It is always better to under cook, because you can then cook a little more, but you cannot undo an overcooked, rubbery crab. Fill your steamer with water up to the rack and bring to a boil. Add your crabs, close the lid, and wait. They will turn bright orange. Once they are cooked, stop the cooking process by putting them in a waiting ice bath. Once chilled, you can easily handle them. The meat inside should be opaque and white, not translucent.
>>
>>46935445
>>46935403
Did you send any designs in to /btg/RO?
>>
>>46935442
Changed the mass of the AC/5 to 4 tons, swaps the ML in the RA for a Large Laser, and drops the SRM-2 to upgrade the LRM to a 10. Might have added armor, but I can't remember the -2H's armor loadout.
>>
>>46935449
>To clean them, follow these steps:

>1. Flip the crab over and remove the "apron" and the mouthpieces from the bottom of the apron.
>2. Remove the legs and place in a bowl.
>3. Stick your finger in the hole where the mouthpieces were and lift the crab body away from the shell (carapace.) Toss the carapace. However, if you're making crab stock, save the carapace and clean out the entrails.
>4. The greenish/yellow stuff is the liver. You can eat it if you want. The purple stuff is not edible, toss it. The grayish, pointy-shaped things on either side of the crab body are the gills. Remove them. Remove the two J-shaped parts at the opposite end of the crab's mouth.
>5. Rinse off the body to remove any foam or entrails. Add it to the bowl with the legs.

>Now you're ready to crack away and eat them with butter
>>
>>46935464
I can assure you /btg/ won't publish that.
>>
>>46935445
>And the Shad -7M is by far the best Shad
The -3K is pretty friggin mean, too
>>
>>46935502
You can assure me of what, they won't publish the TRO?

Unless you're a CGL hitman, fuck off.
>>
>>46935442

Speed stayed the same. Armor stayed the same. Lost 1 heat sink (16 heat on 11 dissipation). Weapons load becomes x1 AC/5 (4-ton), x1 LRM-10, x1 Large Laser. 1 ton of ammo per weapon.

Bascially, while the Griffin stays a "sniper" and the Wolverine -6R stays a "close-combat" Mech (mainly due to an SRM-6 and 5 Jump), the Shad becomes a medium-range support unit that can actually support for more than 5 damage/round.

It's still not optimal at all (really wants another ton of armor, and actually can develop heat issues now), but it still feels like a Shad and does the job that the -2H is *supposed* to do...only well.
>>
>>46935533

I believe they're making an assurance that we don't have to worry about seeing designs based on theoretical autocannon weights, not making a dis.
>>
You know what shad variants we need? A LBX-10 model, and a introtech AC to LL swap
>>
>>46935533

Well, they won't publish it because it's an illegal design, for one. Again, it relies on the "what if" premise. WHAT IF they hadn't been dumb and had instead given an AC/5 a reasonable weight/crit of 4/4? What kind of Shad would that create?

>>46935464

Yes, I did. One Mech (maybe two - can't remember), 4-5 ASFs, 2-3 DropShips, 2-3 WarShips.

I'm rather hoping it crosses the $5k mark so the majority of my stuff actually has a chance of being in there.
>>
>>46935536
Didn't you post a series of lighter AC mechs?

How would you handle RACs, LBX10, LACs, UACs, etc?
>>
>>46935575
>crosses the $5k mark

wait what
>>
>>46935569

I dunno, in 3025 I favour replacing the A/C-5 with a PPC and then either an ML with two extra JJs or an extra DHS and 2 JJs.

LL adds more possibilities I guess, but the PPC's got the advantage of damage and range with the SHD being able to sink the heat quite well even without adding more.
>>
>>46935599

I didn't. I postulated about lighter AC weights, but it was somebody else who went through TRO 3025 and extrapolated on what that would mean for EVERY unit that mounted an AC/X. It was pretty cool, but I don't have the screenshots of it.

>How would you handle RACs, LBX10, LACs, UACs, etc?

I'm unsure, and haven't really thought about it. In general, I don't feel that *most* of these need much - if any - adjustment. Most of them don't feel especially overweight for what they can do in TW play. In general, most advanced AC types could probably lose 1-2 tons from their overall mass and still be just fine (LBs and perhaps RAC/5s being an exception - their versatility is SO good already that subtracting mass would almost certainly be a mistake). It's too late in the evening for me to go through and do a full analysis, though - this is just idle speculation.
>>
>>46935676
>It's too late in the evening for me to go through and do a full analysis, though

DO IT FAGGOT
>>
>>46935616

There's no aerospace units in the BTG/tro until they've raised enough money to cover the art for all of the Mech units, which will cost 5 grand in total ($500 each for 100 Mechs). Any money they raise after that goes to pay for art for aerospace and I think vehicle units. It's up on the blog, they're very up-front about it.

They aren't grubbing money. I've commissioned from Plog before, and that's about the right rate for mech art.
>>
>>46935599
>Didn't you post a series of lighter AC mechs?
>>46935676
>but it was somebody else who went through TRO 3025 and extrapolated on what that would mean for EVERY unit that mounted an AC/X. It was pretty cool, but I don't have the screenshots of it.
That was me. You want I should repost them?
Also, I think I'll give the 3050 and 3055 mechs a go tonight with the NEACs
>>
here's the NEAutocannon fix stuff; i'll also post my 3025 redesigns for them
So: New AC-2
Mass: 2
Crits: 2
Ammo: 45
Damage: 2
Heat: 1
Minimum Range: 3
Short Range: 1-9
Medium Range: 10-18
Long Range: 19-27

UAC/2: 3.5 tons, same stats as regular UAC/2
AC/5: 4 tons, 5 tons for ultra-5
AC/10, UAC/10 and LBX/10 are all 1 ton lighter

OK, here's the first batch of 3025 NEAutocannon refits, going from the lightest:

Urbanmech: the extra ton could go to a ML, or maybe a flamer. alternately, if we're going full "dare to be stupid", more AC/10 ammo

Clint: the AC/5 loosing half it's mass means the clint can now pack an almost full armor load, making it a much nicer scout hunter.

Hermes II: the saved weight could do a number of things, add JJs and a half ton of armor, maybe add a second AC/5. alternately, add 2 more MLs and two SHS

Vulcan: in theory, you could go to triple AC/2, which might be funny. going AC/5 plus another flamer and a ML is a hot-running but viable possibility. alternately, going full armor is an option, but a bit same-y

Blackjack: this one has a lot of possibilities. you could have SIX AC/2s. you could also go to dual 5s with more MLs or HS. two LL+2AC/2 replacing all the mediums (and adding 2SHS) could be done

Hatchetman: add another ton of armor, done.

Centurion: Same

Enforcer: add 1 SHS

Shadow Hawk: this is interesting. you could switch the ML to a heavy, or increase the number of missiles. alternately, you could, of course, add a second AC/5 or twin-2s, but those wouldn't be very shad-ish

Wolverine: options are pretty similar to the shad

Dragon: More missiles or 4JJs to go full fat shad are both possibilities
>>
>>46935948
Rifleman: Now we're cooking with gas; many things are possible here: you could go up to a 300 and add another half ton of armor, you could add enough armor to make is almost as beefy as the thud, you could follow the source material and go with four AC/5s on the arms, drop the LLs for more armor and SHS, you could add enough SHS to fire the LLs all the time and some armor, there are a lotta options

Jaegermech: now THIS is podracing: 16 spare tons to play with. options include going to twin 10s and twin 5s if you dump the MLs. Alternately, you could keep the armament the same and add seven tons of armor, and a pile of lasers and heat sinks. or go to quad fives, and add armor+two more MLs
Marauder: 20 SHS or more armor and 17 SHS are both possible here, and are both big improvements

Orion: add another heat sink

Zeus: add more LRM ammo and armor

Banshee: Another AC/5 would be good here. alternately drop 1 SHS and add a LL

now, let's take a quick jaunt over to 3026 for vees.

Warrior: triple 2s or a five plus more SRMs are both options. maybe LRMs instead to go with the autocannon

Scorpion: could add missiles or go double fives ,a variant with quad-2s, ZSU-style might be neat.
the simplest variant would be to add a LRM-5, a ton of ammo and a ton of armor, basically make it into a tiny, shittier rommel
Scimitar: basically the same as the scorp

Condor: See above

Vedette: could pack more armor so as to get a bit tougher, or add some LRMs.

Patton: adding a ML works, as might more ammo
Pike: Quad fives or nine(!) twos are options, as are LRMs or more SRMs

Partisan: 8 AC/5s is a hilarious possibility, as is adding LRMs or all sorts of other shit.
quad-5s plus a bunch of LRMs would probably be the most logical choice for air-defense

Behemoth: gets more armor

and that's it for NEAutocannoning all the 3025/26 stuff
3050 and 55 next
>>
>>46935985
For 3050, I'm only going to so the new mechs, rather than also do the refits. So, let's go:
>Wolf Trap:
Another ton of armor would be a good improvement, and another ML wouldn't hurt
>Cataphract:
there's enough saved weight for another UAC/5 , or a LL. Not sure which'd be most cataphract-y
>Katana/Crockett:
The saved ton could go to desperately needed CASE
>Mauler
This is where it gets silly. TWELVE AC/2s is a hilarious but dumb idea, though you'd have to stuff some of them in the arms. You could have quad ultra-5s for dracness, plus three DHS and CASE. You could also have twin LBX/10s and CASE and ammo, instead.
>>
>>46936156
Almost forgot
>Annihilator
Add 4 extra tons of armor
Now for 3055
>Snake
Add a ton of armor
>Daikyu
You could add three extra AC/2s and ammo, for more autocannon sillyness. Alternately, dumping the LRMs would let you go to quad Ultra-5s, which could be pretty nasty.
>Hercules
The extra ton could add CASE, which it needs
>Bandersnatch
Add two more tons of armor, it needs it
>Albatross
Add an extra ton of armor to make this solid heavy even more solid
And that's it for the NEAC refits
>>
>>46936271
Would you call it a solid snake now?
>>
>>46936292
>Would you call it a solid snake now?
....sure
>>
>>46936271
>>46936156
>>46935985
>>46935948
this seems to go overboard in the other direction. But then I don't play pre-FCCW stuff. Have you playtested it at all?
>>
>>46936480
>Have you playtested it at all?
I have. Really, the AC/5 just becomes a low-heat LPPC with explosive ammo, and the AC/2 is basically comparable to a LRM-5, but with a little more range and no IDF or chance to hit with more than two missiles.
Boating ultra-2/5s gets you good damage up front, but it goes downhill quick as ammo runs out and guns jam, so that's reasonably balanced
The LBX-10 probably doesn't really need any weight reduction, but that's really it
>>
>>46936480
I've run a game for ten years with the AC/5 at 5 tons and the AC 10 at 10 tons (which puts them just superior to a PPC at damage to weight ratios after everything is taken into account), among other changes to other weapons, and its been fine.

A complaint I have about BT unit design that's less commonly voiced is that armour is too much of a no-brainer. I wish there was some way of handing out fewer points per ton without crippling light mechs even more.
>>
>>46936671
>A complaint I have about BT unit design that's less commonly voiced is that armour is too much of a no-brainer. I wish there was some way of handing out fewer points per ton without crippling light mechs even more.

Hah, I feel like units die and fall apart too fast! I've got my big badass assault mech that eats 60 points of damage and dies because of a TAC, explosion, falling over, gyro shot out, etc.

I want units that live longer, damnit! Especially fucking head armor. Pisses me off every fucking time a unit dies to some random plink in the first turn. It's not even good for the game, if that shit happens I generally say "fuck it" and stop caring

In my home games I give everyone a point of edge to help reduce the bullshit

oh, and fuck "limb blown off" while we're at it
>>
>>46935733
>$500 each for 100 Mechs
You added an extra 0. $5,000/100 = $50
>>
File: Prototype DHS.png (85KB, 378x413px) Image search: [Google]
Prototype DHS.png
85KB, 378x413px
So apparently from the current wording of pic related in IO, it's possible to create the Awesome-9Q in the 3030s, merely by swapping all of the SHS on the mech to DHS-P. You can shed enough tonnage for the PPC, and you've still got 21 Double Heat Sinks. The only problem? Literally all of your Heat Sinks are in the critical chart. But frankly, you've got an infinite "Fuck you, I'm Captain General now!" mech.
>>
File: FWL Motto.png (1MB, 934x949px) Image search: [Google]
FWL Motto.png
1MB, 934x949px
>>46937600
If only you could find the damned PPCs in that time frame..
>>
>>46933908
Paranoia. No, really.
>>
>>46937600

>still got 21 Double Heat Sinks

Nope. Anything that's in the engine remains a SHS.

So you have 10 SHS and 11 DHS, for a total of 32 heat dissipation.

Which is still not bad per se, but not as good as the -9Q.

>>46937709

The FWL's shortage of PPCs is really overstated around here. They tried to hoard them a bit in the 3010s-3028ish period but the Helm recovery took care of that issue. After that they were in the vanguard of PPC tech, they got the ER PPC back two years after the Dracs (and before anyone else, including the FedCom), and were almost as big on the variant PPCs from TW as the Dracs.
>>
>>46937872
Purple burd stronk!
>>
>>46935403
As is, for introtech you could always go budget Royal Shad.
Ditch the LRM and extra heat sinks gives room for an AC/10 and 2 tons of ammo. No room for an extra ML unfortunately.

I do agree the SRM was an odd choice though, given that they're just smoke launchers on the Dougram.

>>46935569
Royal Shad does the LBX 10 already. And interestingly enough, MUL puts it as still in Clan circulation through the SW/Invasion era, and by the Jihad it's running around the IS again. Which is fucking great because Royal Shad is my favorite Shad.
>>
>watching a guy's MegaMek mercenary campaign.
>he just gets shit on by everything

this is horrible

this is amazing
>>
>>46937872
>Nope. Anything that's in the engine remains a SHS.
Look at what is highlighted more closely.

You can make what are normally in engine sinks into prototype DHS, but you have to do so to all of them, and they no longer are in engine and must be allocated. So it would be pretty limiting to actually do so, since after allocating 30 crits for you HS there's not a whole lot to do. And an early take on the AWS-9Q doing this would be impossible, the 9Q as it is can't fit any more than the 19 DHS it has even with in engine sinks.

You could, however, make a mean CRB-20, drop to 10 sinks, stuff the side torsos with 8, two in each arm, then you could jsut about max the armor, ditch the small laser and stick the medium laser in the head, and add another large laser to the CT, or just pile on some more medium lasers. Or at least mean until it starts taking crits to heat sinks.
>>
>>46939055

I literally have no fucking idea what you think the rules mean.

The way the rules work, and in this case they're well-written and clear compared to CGL's usual bullshit, is as follows:

-Any heat sinks mounted for "free" in the engine under normal rules stay as Single Heat Sinks.

-Any heat sinks placed in the normal critical chart after free engine HS are accounted for can be Freezer prototypes.

-Heat sinks that would normally be mounted in the chassis due to the engine size that come in the 10 freebies can be made Freezers

-Heat sink that you get to put into the engine and don't have to allocate can't be made Freezers.

This does mean that the Awesome example I gave is slightly off since the engine only contains 9 Heat Sinks (240/25, round down =9) so would have 12 Freezers and 9 in the engine for 33 heat dissipation.

A Wolfhound with 8 Heat Sinks mounted in its 210-rated engine can turn the 2 freebies that have to be mounted in the chassis into Freezers and have 12 dissipation.

By comparison a Marauder with an engine rating of 300 has to have standard heat sinks for the first 12 it mounts and then can make use of Freezers.

The Crab has a 250-rated engine and as such any added HSes can be Freezers, the base 10 all fit into the engine.
>>
>>46939407
>The way the rules work, and in this case they're well-written and clear compared to CGL's usual bullshit, is as follows:
Yes, it is.
Specifically:
"This means that either all of the “critical-free” heat sinks provided by the ’Mech’s engine, per the rules found on p. 53 of TechManual, must either be standard heat sinks, or must be fully allocated on the unit’s Critical Hit Table to be replaced with prototype double heat sinks."

Key words being "either" and "or".
>>
>>46936881
I feel you, man. I also wish long range were more of a factor.

I've often thought about increasing ranges in some way and also adding, say, another hex for every 3 to movement (i.e. the normal 16x17 map sheet would become 21x23) or something to make movement take longer.

Unfortunately, that doesn't make much of a difference for mechs that go 7/11 or more or so, and slower mechs take even longer to get anywhere.

Then I thought about making each weapon have longer range, or have a longer max range...

I dunno. As it is, the game feels much too focused on the S and M range brackets, to the extent that you hear people saying weapons don't even have a long range bracket once you factor in an IS pilot.
>>
>>46939603

Yes, an exception to the usual rules that the HSes on a unit must all be either DHS or SHS, not a mix of both.

You can ask on the rules boards if you really feel like it but when the question has been already been clarified to work as I explained in the past.

IE, that the ones you get for "free" in the engine always stay as SHS, but anything mounted in the chassis whether part of the "free 10" or added beyond what the engine can fit may be Freezers.
>>
File: Whatfearlurksintheheartofcrabs.jpg (228KB, 466x700px) Image search: [Google]
Whatfearlurksintheheartofcrabs.jpg
228KB, 466x700px
>>46935449
>>
>>46935499
>Dat urbs with the swimmies
I don't remember seeing that one before. How old is it?
>>
File: AndurienRangers.png (55KB, 358x518px)
AndurienRangers.png
55KB, 358x518px
Meant to update for those interested before. The raid on Dunianshire continues! (First, a bit of campaign fluff) Utilizing the ideas /btg/ helped with, the raid campaign expanded as the Andurien Rangers were ordered to strip the factories, the Zec-II FWLS Syracuse hanging at the zenith to relay messages from command. No sooner had they started then one of their dropships reported an arrival: an unidentified Invader-class at a pirate point releasing some Unions. Given the condition of the ships they seemed to be pirates, and after landing a series of skirmishes broke out. It appeared the pirates were after the same target and were surprised someone had gotten to it first. Force Commander Amemeocci reigned Gamma Battalion in to prepare for an assault, but instead the pirates broke off and offered to talk once it was clear the Rangers weren't Canopian defenders. Reluctant initially, news of the arrival of Canopian jumpships changed his mind. The pirate leader claimed they were really New Colony militia on a campaign of revenge for 'injustices' dealt them, but meeting in person the Rangers could recognize a strong military bearing, with more traveled Rangers noting Taurian accents. When one pirate let slip 'Brigadier' to their commander, it was clear more than it appeared was going on. The Rangers agreed to work with the Taurian raiders, offering to let them finish stripping the factory in return for cooperation against the Canopian counterattack.

Now like I mentioned last time Dunianshire strangely has no regular MAF garrison. So I decided on the closest regiment available to be rapid responders: the 2nd Magistracy Highlanders on Luxen and Dainmar Majoris. Jumping in separately, the Highlanders attempted to begin their counterattack swiftly and mercilessly. What their commander and first battalion arriving from Luxen did not anticipate was a warship holding the zenith point.
>>
>>46940391
Unfamiliar with the Zec, Colonel Shaw attempted a hard burn in on Dunianshire but instead got her dropships picked off. The other two battalions made a better coordinated jump in at a pirate point and, not yet knowing the fate of their CO and first BN, dropped in on Dunianshire to deal with the hostiles. And so the campaign began. The Rangers and pirates skirmished with the Highlanders, and on the table top we replicated this by deploying some mixed forces (Bravo Lance and introtech rides like Thuds, Bugs and Griffins). While the Highlanders favored fast strikes the inconsistent nature of their foe (who they expected at one battalion, not being aware of the second force) was confusing. Finally, Major Naughty Nellie opted for an assault in force with one battalion on the factories, while a second outflanked the facilities and attempted a strike on the rear through a rough patch of land they thought only they knew about. Which is where our final battle (an all day affair) came in. Of course it happened to be where Amemocci decided to stick Bravo Lance to cover the back door, with some raiders attached.

The Taurian Raider lance held the entrace, and consisted of a Warhammer, Thunderbolt, a classic Taurian Hatchetman, and a Wasp. Each player started playing a raider mech (Dirty Harry got the Warhammer, Zippo the Thunderbolt, Dingo the Hatchetman, and I took the Wasp because reasons). Expecting something lighter, the first two Canopian waves came in staggered a few turns apart. First wave was a company of combat engineers (expecting to have to check for mines), supported by a lance of heavy vees and a 'Mech lance of a Stinger, Wasp and two Locusts. While the vehicles came up the center the Canopian light mechs spread out, using their mobility to avoid fire while scouting out the Raider position. The Bugs were really mobile and actually did a good job at actually doing their own jobs instead of being target practice (blowing apart my Wasp PDQ).
>>
File: 1430030105092.jpg (73KB, 584x900px) Image search: [Google]
1430030105092.jpg
73KB, 584x900px
>>46940397
After a few turns the second wave came in, a Canopian Marauder, Quickdraw, Phoenix Hawk and Shadow Hawk. Both Locusts were down, one to a dead shot by the Warhammer and the other to combined efforts. Now the Wasp and Stinger had managed to actually split the Raider lance up, so the Thunderbolt was isolated. So when the second Canopian lance came in the Shad broke off to support the Wasp against the Thud, while the other lances went at it. After exchanging fire for a couple turns the defenders sprung their trap: Bravo lance and its short platoon of BA arrived. With more mechs on the table then we'd had before things got really messy really fast but it stayed pretty light-hearted and fun. Dingo's Hatchetman executed an amazing attack bringing down the Canopian Marauder with a final strike to the head. The Shad and Wasp caused a freak ammo explosion on Zippo's Thud and blew it apart. Zippo tried to handle the infantry and vees in his Hermes II and his flamer on. As Moretti I worked with Dirty Harry's Wraith to take apart the Quickdraw, while Dingo's Phoenix Hawk dueled with the Canopian Pixie and came out on top eventually, while DH's Warhammer provided some support fire.

Still bloodied and with foes still on the table, the final Canopian lance arrived: their company commander in a Huron Warrior, escorted by a Griffin, a Wolverine and a Wasp. This is where combined arms came in handy, because our BA kept the Shad and Wasp off our backs while we turned to face the new lance. It opened with the Huron Warrior taking out Zippo's Hermes II with his first shot. Dirty Harry's Wraith burned down the Stinger remaining from earlier, and then new Wasp. I gauss-dueled with the Huron Warrior at range, adding my remaining LRMs. Dingo brought in the Hatchetman to support his Phawk and they squared off with the Wolverine and Griffin, the Hatchetman closing range to get swinging. We let Zippo play all our BA since his mechs were both dead.
>>
>>46940405
Now anyone who has played a Wraith can surely agree, but they are useful to have. Dirty Harry came running and gunning in going for rear armor and hosing it with PLs. Dingo's Hatchetman actually got headcapped pretty quick, but his Phawk soon returned the favor on the Griffin. Working together DH's Wraith and Dingo's Phawk tore up the Wolverine, while I knocked out the Huron Warrior's gauss rifle. After this, and because it was getting late, the enemy lance surrendered. Their remaining Wasp had been blown apart by DH's Warhammer, which moved to support our BA, while the BA themselves swarmed the Shad.

So in the end our two lances had knocked out a company of Highlanders, for good gain mostly. Zippo survived his ejection, and as GM I divied up salvage. Since the Raiders had lost all but their Warhammer, we let them claim most of the Canopian mechs for salvage. But we took the Huron Warrior for Zippo and the Phawk for parts. Kill-wise for Bravo lance I was able to claim the Quickdraw, DH claimed a Stinger and Wasp, Dingo the Phoenix Hawk and Griffin, and Zippo got no mech kills in his own mechs but claimed the Shad as the BA commander. Fluff-wise as the Highlander battalions moved in on the raiders, Gamma battalion snuck up and struck them in their flanks to roll them up. About half the Highlanders were able to break and run for their dropships, but with the FWLS moving in system and their jumpships unable to flee in time, Major Naught Nellie was forced to surrender. After dividing up salvage, Gamma loaded up and took off. Now when my players found out about Hardcore, they decided to add one stop on their campaign and so Gamma made a short objective raid for Canopian porn because that's how the Rangers roll. Now begins the journey home, for medals and strippers.

With the campaign going well so far, now I'm considering a unit paint scheme (thinking about taking pictures next game to share). Suggestions?
>>
>>46939772
Except it explicitly says the opposite of that.

>must either be standard heat sinks
crit free
>or be fully allocated on the 'Mechs critical hit table to be replaced with prototype double heat sinks

You can replace the engine heat sinks with doubles, you just have to keep them outside the engine.
>>
>>46940391
>>46940397
>>46940405
>>46940412
Damn son, a whole regiment? That's gonna sting the canopians but good. Things are looking good for andurein, so far
For the colour scheme, why not red, green and white? I can't think of any canon regiments with those colours.
Also, just a minor suggestion, but it might be a good plan for these guys to get their SAFE liaison officer talking with these taurians. Could go some interesting places
>>
Dear /btg/,

Why the fuck do companies on ebay think it's ok to try charging £14+ for a mech that can still be bought from Ral Partha for about half that, with the added bonus of being able to get replacement parts if required?

Seriously. What the hell.
>>
Is one of the factors as to why the Capellans are winning many of their Dark Age battles in 3145 really due to numbers?

Are they (for once) outnumbering their opponents on the field?
>>
>>46943018
There was more that went on fluff-wise, and a lot more detail action-wise, but I wanted to try and condense it (and still got four posts). Needless to say they made a point of contact with the Taurian raiders, and they're waiting to hear how the other raids went and see what the Canopian response will be.
>>
>>46943354
Partially that, partially that they're fighting the republic units left outside the wall and the stripped-down AFFS units that caleb left in the capellan march. They wouldn't be doing nearly as good against better opposition.
>>
>>46944049

>the stripped-down AFFS units that caleb left in the capellan march

I thought the local March units were left largely intact by Caleb, but were getting overwhelmed by sheer numbers or less than brilliant decision making, like the Sytris Avengers who got shot down?
>>
>>46944049
I would also posit that, in the earlier parts of the dark age at least, the CC having kept up its own active military and being in conflict with the RotS meant that its units had more combat experience than the forces in the Capellan march, and this also has contributed to their success.
>>
Speaking of Capellan March forces, is their questionable loyalty one of the reasons they're losing ground like they are?

Everything I've read of them so far suggested their allegiance pre-invasion lay more with New Sytris than New Avalon.
>>
>>46943354
>Are they (for once) outnumbering their opponents on the field?
Yep, on account of they were apparently the only ones not to fall for stone's disarmament shit and kept their military big while everyone else drew down
>>
Does anyone have the image showing what lances can be made using the starter set?
>>
>>46944464

>Yep, on account of they were apparently the only ones not to fall for stone's disarmament shit and kept their military big while everyone else drew down

I'm surprised the Federated Suns of all people were the ones to go for that.

I distinctly recall there being an incident in the Star League era where disarmament worked against the Federated Suns when the Combine came knocking over the issue of a Coordinator having a claim to the Davion throne.
>>
>>46943412
Hey andurein guy, I've got an idea for a future mission: the magistracy has slavery, right? So what about a raid to free slaves and bring them back to andurein space, where they'll be big on the news about how shit the magistracy is. Bonus if you can get TC news guys to cover it
>>
>>46944402
How would that work, exactly? Do you mean the AFFS isn't supplying them adequately?
>>
>>46944556

>How would that work, exactly? Do you mean the AFFS isn't supplying them adequately?

Not quite.

I meant a lack of Cohension between March forces and non-March AFFS forces.

This for example:

> VALEXA CAPELLAN MARCH MILITIA LCT

> Colonel Cartegena is the acting CO of the Valexa CMM, a position he assumed after Leftenant General Allastair Beaverbrook died of “an accidental discharge from a friendly PPC”. Beaverbrook’s death came only days after the First Liao Dragoons departed from Valexa, where they had brutally mauled the Fourth Ceti Hussars. During the Dragoons raid, Beaverbrook refused to commit his command to battle after the Capellans drove between the Valexa CMM and the Ceti Hussars. Beaverbrook’s after-action report claimed that the Dragoons’ artillery had closed off the approaches his force would have needed to take in order to move on the invaders. Reports forwarded to High Command since Beaverbrook’s death reveal that reconnaissance of the Capellan force found no evidence of conventional artillery, an only a single lance of Arrow IV-equipped Catapults.Davion High Command has decided to not dispatch an Adjutant General to investigate the General’s death.

> “an accidental discharge from a friendly PPC”.

> Davion High Command has decided to not dispatch an Adjutant General to investigate the General’s death.
>>
>>46944745

Also:

> FOURTH CETI HUSSARS

> When the First Liao Dragoons drove between the Fourth Ceti Hussars and the Valexa CMM, it seemed to Rear Admiral Cassidy as if he’d been handed a victory on a silver platter. Over-extended, and with the enemy’s command elements painfully exposed, it only required the two Davion forces to encircle the Capellans and destroy them piecemeal. Only, the Valexa March Militia never closed its side of the trap, instead holding its place against a relatively light Dragoons screen. The twelve-hour battle left the Fourth Hussars to take the brunt of the Confederation assault, with the Fourth’s BattleMech command taking the lion’s share of the abuse. This betrayal by a fellow AFFS unit has weakened the Fourth’s already shaky resolve, and many of these Hussars appear overtly hostile to any thought of undertaking joint operations with other Capellan March forces. Instead, Cassidy has reportedly requested an immediate transfer back to his regiment’s home world of Victoria.
>>
>>46944745
>>46944772
What else?
>>
>>46944530
I didn't really think about that sort of mission. Their raid was more reactive. Freeing slaves has a more proactive feel to it. Do the Canopians keep straight up slaves?
>>
>>46938779
I wish we could just retroactively give it smokes, too - that's enough weight saved to give it another jet and an SL or something. Or you could give it the original pair of MGs in the left arm and use it with flak as a dedicated riot-suppression and anti-conventional unit.
>>
>>46944827

Well on the loyalty front:

> CAPELLAN MARCH MILITIA

> Over the fifteen years that followed the end of the Word of Blake Jihad, the Capellan March Militia, heavily damaged in the war, was completely rebuilt from scratch. This ground-up reconstruction proved particularly beneficial in that the new forces were raised as Light Combat Teams, and thus were trained to operate under this model from their very inception. It also made it possible for the militia brigade to be exclusively staffed by natives of the Capellan March, from each individual private all the way up to its brigade commander. With the entire Suns military undergoing a restructure at the time, Duchess Angela Hasek was able to work the Replacement and Deployment Division system to ensure this “regionally homogenous” makeup for her new militia commands. Fifty years on, this “inbreeding” has infused the brigade with a fierce tradition of fanatical loyalty to New Syrtis, and a passionate focus on only one ultimate goal: the destruction of the Capellan Confederation.

> fanatical loyalty to New Syrtis
>>
>>46945550

Mentioned in the Historical Wars of the Republic era after the Victoria War:

> The reorganization of the Capellan March troops included a wholesale dismissal (and in some cases, imprisonment) of the surviving command officers. Harrison Davion and Athena Davion-Roos installed commanders who were personally loyal to them and had them report to New Avalon instead of New Syrtis. This state of affairs continued for over a decade before these restrictions were relaxed.

So it seems their loyalty was held in doubt then.
>>
>>46934636
1d4chan is cancer but if you think we should then why not
fuck it i'll change it now, i'm not doin anything else

also rate my design from last thread, even though its basically the TDR-NAIS
>>
Who needs women when I have my fleet? They'll never leave me, they love their admiral.
>>
File: Capture.png (32KB, 413x874px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
32KB, 413x874px
>>46947284
fuck
>>
>>46947448
Inb4 big bad periphery pirates swarm your waifu with industrialmechs to dismantle into scrap after their done whoreing her into their latest battlewagon
>>
>>46944925
>Do the Canopians keep straight up slaves?
Yep. Though presumably they are quiet about it, keep them in backwater areas and such, so as not to spoil their brand as "the most progressive folks around".
Additionally, I just remembered something from periphery 1e that would make this EVEN MORE of a mess if they get it in front of taurian news. One of the big events from early taurian history was them freeing a ton of slaves from the suns, right? So, get SAFE and your new taurian pals to find a good writer, get them to write a bit about canopian slaves and capellan servators and Trinity Alliance mistreatment of the TC and taurian history and yadda yadda yadda, and you've got a real good shitstorm going against the canopians.
Best of all, it's gonna cost them some mercs; the Green Mountain boys are lead by a former Marian slave, and presumably the only reason they're willing to work for the MoC is cause they don't know about the slavery thing, so they'd almost certainly bail when they find out, which you guys could probably take serious advantage of
>>
So, Battletech scrub here.

Is there a reason why Battletech minis are so unabashedly ancient? I do like the look of them in a retro sense but you would think that they'd get a new manufacturer to make something a lot more recent/modern, especially if they're still coming out with books.
>>
>>46947748
>but you would think that they'd get a new manufacturer
Unfortunately, IWM OWNS the mini rights. Not licensees, owns. FASA really fucked up when they sold off bits of the IP to various companies.
>>
>>46947745
What sourcebook says that the MoC has legalized slavery?
>>
>>46948047

The part where women are in charge?
>>
>>46948047
HB: Major Periphery States

Also everything about men.

Frankly the MoC is the most unbelievable faction in BT
>>
>>46948347
>>46948294
>yfw cucks like Kit and NEA like the MOC
>>
>>46947748
Many of the new minis look fine. The problem is most new people start with older ones from the intro eras that nobody has had time or money to redo with new mechs coming out by the truckload.

It's not like GW where you have a few designs with a bunch of variant parts. We're talking 500+ different mechs. Each needing their own sculpt and so on. Not counting armor, infantry, or aerospace.

Won't it be at least another four years before we're even caught up to TRO:3150?

And IWM is a fine manufacturer. They know how to cast damn well, to the point where tons of the bigger boys subcontract them. What they need is better sculpts.
>>
>>46948294
Such bait. Much reasonable. Wow.
>>
>>46948347
>>46948593
I don't really see what their pull is as a faction aside from the amazon "girls rule, boys drool :DDDD" schtick. All the other periphery factions do frontier states better too.
>>
>>46948347
What's unbelievable about it?
>>
>>46948593
NEA's into NTR. They aren't the same thing
>>
>>46948696
How is that bait? Women literally run the MOC.

>>46948935
That's about it. Also catgirls I guess?

>>46948963
>a major organization led exclusively by women and functioning for hundreds of years

>>46949007
it's all cuck to me
>>
>>46949007

Since when?
>>
>>46949031
>>a major organization led exclusively by women and functioning for hundreds of years
lol I won't call it b8 because it's funny, but seriously what's so unreliable? They have men to help them.
>>
File: New Hedons.png (1MB, 1122x850px)
New Hedons.png
1MB, 1122x850px
>>46948593
Makes me wonder whatever happened to the New Hedons from the Succession Wars.
>>
How do mercenaries generally survive when they take up contracts against Great Houses?

When the contract ends, I doubt the Great House they were up against would just say "oh yeah np senpai it's just business".

Do they just have to hope that the House they were working for will shelter them, or just fuck off elsewhere to the next job?
>>
>>46949276
They all died of bioweapon STDs, and all was right with the universe.
>>
>>46944177

What made the Republic think that they could police the Inner Sphere again?

From what I'm noticing, they lacked either the determination or force of arms to enforce their disarmament program on even one nation.
>>
>>46949038

Whatever it takes to get him to stop posting forever.
>>
>>46949482
>What made the Republic think that they could police the Inner Sphere again?
Ideals
"yeah, we saved the IS from the war, now we *must* prevent it to fight again!"

It is like a new, young employee thinking he can change the way the old guys do their work. He will be fired or adapt himself to comply with the old guys. The current plot is exactly this: will the Republic adapt itself to the House ways or it will die following the utopia they believed?
>>
>>46948347
Nah, the dracs are just as silly
>>
>>46949388
What exactly do you mean? Offense contracts don't leave mercs on the target world at the end, that would be dumb. At the end of every contract, the employer give the mercs money to catch the bus back to outreach or wherever. It's a basic part of how mercs work.
>>
File: FurrySword.png (321KB, 460x828px) Image search: [Google]
FurrySword.png
321KB, 460x828px
Who knew Shimmy did furfag art? Guess his prices are so high because he gets the fetish cash, some of those fuckers pay waaay more than BT ever can.
>>
>>46950227

Well, do the Houses not maintain grudges or sanctions against mercenaries paid to target them, or is it just accepted practice that these dudes are going to show up and potentially ruin your day?
>>
>>46950274

He could just be a fan of the the Vaygr from Traveller?
>>
>>46950317
>Gayfur

Fixed
>>
>>46950317

Traveller has furries?

>>46934085 was right. It's shit.
>>
>>46950673

>Traveller has furries?

I've read there is a race in it called "The Vaygr" which are essentially dog people.

Interestingly, there is a faction in the Homeworld series of games that has a similar name I believe.
>>
>>46949007
When you're on /d/ long enough, everything looks like everything. I for one was never attracted to the girls' club meme side of the MoC, I wanted a Periphery nation that makes Special Ops and political manipulation their thing rather than wasting the nonexistent resources they have on keeping up with their neighbors' military forces.

I don't judge how people rub to get their jollies, and so I don't judge the MoC for notably not judging.

Also, post-Dark Age, the Caps, Suns, Bears and Wolves are the only major factions with male heads of state, so Muh Matriarchy Meme is hilariously outdated, and that might not last through the ilClan time period for the Caps. If the Thuggee Cult gets their jihading on, they're not likely to rally behind a male after centuries of goddess worship.
>>
>>46950813
Having a female head of state is not the same as being a matriarchy, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>46950315
>Well, do the Houses not maintain grudges or sanctions against mercenaries paid to target them,
Not unless warcrimes are involved.
>>
>>46950813
Put your name back on neph, we know it's you
>>
>>46950274
Well THAT explains why there were always furry and mlp streams linked at the bottom of his streams.

The actual reason of course being that those two types make up 80% of the art streams going at a given point in time, but that's not going to stop me from teasing him about this.
>>
>>46951021
And then you all bitch that I have my name on, no thanks.

I've been posting anonymously around here pretty regularly, but until I feel the need to start posting up the EVE ships ported to AT that I've been pipedreaming about there's not any compelling reason for me to put on the name.
>>
File: Kodiak.jpg (199KB, 1024x941px) Image search: [Google]
Kodiak.jpg
199KB, 1024x941px
The Master is asleep post post clanners
>>
File: 300px-Conrad_Toyama_2.jpg (11KB, 300x389px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Conrad_Toyama_2.jpg
11KB, 300x389px
>>46951579
>The Master is asleep

I never sleep.
>>
>>46951732
So we conclude you are not the master
>>
>>46951579
The clanners are getting uppity post the superheavies to crush them with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=822Nq5ugStE
>>
>>46951823
>he doesn't know
>>
>>46952105
>what is basic logic
>>
>>46945550
>>46945788
So why would that make them lose ground?
>>
What's your go-to mech?
As a commander ride?
As a force filler?
As OpFor?
>>
What happened to the Banson's Raiders? The Spirit Cats went to the FWL, the Steel Wolves became a merc unit, the FedSuns and Lyran pirate factions were absorbed by their House parents and the Drac one were absorbed/annihilated. But what about the Raiders? I know that Banson himself disappeared, but I don't know what happened to his pirate band.
>>
>>46951579
>Be PGI
>Put Kodiak in game
>Game has no melee so it's claws are just for show

Can't wait.
>>
>>46952906
>Awesome
>Awesome
>Awesome
>Awesome
>>
>>46952952
>be Fasa
>put Kodiak in game
>stat mech in a way its claws are just for show
>>
>>46952952
bruh, the claws have always been for show. Melee is desgra I'm looking at you Jade Hawk
>>
>>46952861

Dissension in the ranks doesn't do much for a successful defense.

Especially if it's with what should be brothers in arms or fellow AFFS units.
>>
>>46952912

CGL left a shit ton of plot points dangling.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for resolution, especially with their big new projects being Touring the Stars and Succession Wars historicals.
>>
>>46953111
What dissension? Being pro-New Syrtis doesn't diminish their ability to fight the CCAF. The only thing I can see that would do so is if the AFFS is shortchanging them logistically.
>>
>>46943018
Forgot to comment on the color. Red, green and white? What color where?
I know the old Defenders were light grey with blue and green highlights/stripes. Maybe some sort of new take on that?

>>46947745
For some reason I assumed the Magistracy was anti-slavery since it had issues with the Capellans over it for so long, and still has issues with the Marians.
But I guess I can believe it from a state that legalizes rape.
>>
>>46950274
Kek. Yeah I've done some furry stuff. Not actually opposed to the general concept, but I'm picky on the subject matter. Ultimately I avoid it, because building a folio of furry work just attracts the kinds of clients I don't want.
Also the guy that paid for that one was cheap as hell and would always complain I cost too much, back when I charged half as much. He blew most of his cash on MLP fanart.
>>
File: boxed_set_lances.png (38KB, 1486x434px)
boxed_set_lances.png
38KB, 1486x434px
>>46944471
short version
>>
File: 1460252471906.gif (2MB, 307x278px) Image search: [Google]
1460252471906.gif
2MB, 307x278px
>>46953288
If the mood ever strikes you could you draw Judy Hopps as a MechWarrior?
>>
>>46953288
>you will never know what shimmy thinks of you as a customer
I hope I was nice to you, Shimmering kun
;_;
>>
>>46953334

...and we call the Canopian fans "degenerate."
>>
>>46953465
I am a Canopian fan. What's wrong with Zootopia, it was a fun movie.
>>
File: My Little Clanner.png (205KB, 638x587px)
My Little Clanner.png
205KB, 638x587px
>>46953465
I would post a reminder of who the truly degenerate fans are, but global rule 15 is a thing.
>>
>>46953334
What is with furfags and that damn bunny
>>
>>46953674
Relax man, it's just a movie.
>>
>>46953251
I was kinda thinking green and white as the main colours, and red highlights. Maybe the white and green in tiger-stripe pattern?
>>
>>46952912
IIRC they got wiped out by the republic/everyone else, and Ms. Thuggee Wife ganked him.
>>
>>46953334
In what, a Jackrabbit?

[AMARIS NOISES]
>>
>>46953992
That'd be funny.
>>
>>46953764

No it's not. It's a faux validation of your mental illness. Anything, ever, with anthropomorphic animals is cancer. Whether they're an avatar, a "fursona", a totem, or whatever - anything other a human being that can incite sexual thoughts in the audience is fucking degenerate and needs to be banned. And even that can be unhealthy, as demonstrated by your shit tranny faction.

A setting should focus on straight male humans, and only ever straight male humans, because that's the part of the human race which actually gets shit done.
>>
>>46953163

> Being pro-New Syrtis doesn't diminish their ability to fight the CCAF.

It can if that pro-New Syrtis stance causes friction with the other defending Davion forces.
>>
File: 1459976198707.png (220KB, 419x391px)
1459976198707.png
220KB, 419x391px
>>46954069
lol this guy here
>>
>>46954110
Has it outside of that case on Valexa?
>>
File: 1451926432249.jpg (399KB, 1500x2249px) Image search: [Google]
1451926432249.jpg
399KB, 1500x2249px
>>46954111
This is the only thing you should fap to, anon
>>
>>46954188
who said anything about fapping? you're a weirdo lol
>>
>>46954137

None that I can remember, but let me check the FM and Era Report.
>>
>>46954452
Ok. I should add it kind of sounds like you've answered your own question already.
>>
>>46954480

Perhaps.
>>
File: 1460214788411.png (24KB, 408x412px) Image search: [Google]
1460214788411.png
24KB, 408x412px
>>46954069
>>
>>46952906
Overall? Archer
>commander ride
Warhammer or Bandersnatch
>force filler
Merlin, Archer or Hound
>OpFor
Crusader and Griffin
>>
File: 35361225.jpg (181KB, 480x648px) Image search: [Google]
35361225.jpg
181KB, 480x648px
>>46952906
>What's your go-to mech?
As in, one I put in pretty much every force? Probably a Catapult. Not my favorite, but it always has something to do.

>As a commander ride?
Love the Bandie and the Davion Battlemaster. Black Knight gets honorable mention just for being so goddamned hard to kill.

>As a force filler?
Bandersnatch, Griffin, Wolverine, Archer, Marauder. Depends on what role I need filled

>As OpFor?
If I'm playing OpFor? Panther Company is always a classic. Nothing makes people shit themselves quite like a Victor in cover, though, and the Awesome is a great "boss"
>>
>>46952906
>What's your go-to mech?
Atlas
>As a commander ride?
Atlas
>As a force filler?
Atlas
>As OpFor?
Atlas
I'm a Kurita loyalist, not a Steiner.
>>
>>46952906
>Mad Cat
>Dragon
>Uziel(2S)
>Atlas
>>
File: God help me.png (18KB, 426x347px) Image search: [Google]
God help me.png
18KB, 426x347px
>>46952906
From evidence?
>What's your go-to mech?
Perseus
>As a commander ride?
Perseus
>As a force filler?
Perseus
>As OpFor?
Apparently the Perseus too.
>>
>>46956228
How many perseii total are in your force?
>>
>>46956348
Assuming we take all chassis mods and configurations? At this point, 72 of them. And I don't really like the Perseus either. I just can't help tinkering.
>>
>>46956417
Huh. So, by my math, you have approximately as many persii as the entire 3058 FWLM. Congratulations
>>
>>46956417
>I don't really like the Perseus
>Have 72 of them

Somehow I can picture a pilot going to a hangar filled with nothing but a endless rows of Perseus . In his face, apathy.
>>
>>46956733
The quartermasters would probably love it though.
>>
What would be a reasonable BV for two typical lances of DA mechs?
>>
>>46957865
12K maybe?
>>
>>46957865
13-15k, maybe? Less for a CC or periphery lance, more for a RoTS or clan lance, obviously
>>
>>46958187
>Less for a CC lance
Not with the stealth, TSM, and TSEMP increases. Or the fact they're probably using augmented lances.
>>
>>46959893

Don't forget the Hellstars.
>>
>>46929691

I always hated that pic. It's as if someone put a fucking tank in a throne room.

I get the Titans defending Eternity Gate in 40k because fuck logic in 40k, but in Battletech this reallg triggers me.

Rant over, carry on.
>>
>>46960196
>He doesn't want to incinerate half the throne room in case of assassins.
Anon, they're basically the Ghostbusters in mech form. Wreck the place, then bill for doing so.
>>
File: CIH01.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
CIH01.png
1MB, 800x800px
>>46952906
>go to
Vindicator
>command ride
Cyclops
>force filler
>Wasp/Vindicator
>OpFor
I... don't actually have one. Huh. I never really thought about it. Maybe the Thud?
>>
>>46960228
>vindie fetish

Romano pls go and stay go
>>
>>46960429
>hating the Vindicator
What are you some kind of Feddie?
>>
What music do you guys listen to while you're playing? I prefer Luciano Pavarotti for that added elegance of space combat.
>>
>>46961068
Rammstein - same reason ...... ;-)
>>
>>46960854
No, burd. It's just meh.
>>
>>46961068
>Pavarotti

Ma nigga
>>
>>46961068
I use anything and just about everything. You haven't lived until you have a running space battle to a planet all set to the tune of Barbie Girl. Because Free Bird is over done.
>>
>goto
Warhammer
>Command
Battlemaster
>filler
Wolverine/Griffin
>OpFor
Thud, Archer, Vindi, Hunchback
>>
What a Wonderful World while WOBbing it up
>>
>>46963385

>Wonderful World
>not I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire

Plebs don't even into post-apocalyptia
>>
>>46963630
Fun Fact: That song wasn't used in the original Fallout because the developers felt it had no relevance to the setting/theme other than that one line. Which is why Maybe was chosen instead.
And why I immediately cringed at Fallout 3's trailer.
>>
File: Shadowcat.jpg (159KB, 674x786px)
Shadowcat.jpg
159KB, 674x786px
Shadowcat: good robot or bad robot?
>>
>>46964584

Base chassis is pretty good. Pod space isn't always used well.
>>
>>46952906
>What's your go-to mech?
>As a force filler?
>As OpFor?
Dervish. They explode, just, SO much.

>As a commander ride?
Not a Dervish.
>>
>>46960073
Please, they aren't the FWL
>>
File: mw3_vulture.jpg (77KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mw3_vulture.jpg
77KB, 1440x1080px
Hello, /btg/!

I'm a guy who was given a copy of Mechwarrior 3 at an impressionable young age, but never picked up anything else in the franchise (besides MechAssault, which was meh).

The upside is that the aesthetics of BattleTech are forever idealized in my brain, but unfortunately that same idealization is heavily tainted by Star League propaganda.

So, when grew up and read up on Battletech lore on sarnawiki, I felt a bit betrayed by all the factions of the Inner Sphere, while my stance towards the Clans soften a bit.

tl;dr: I really want to like Battletech, but am utterly ambivalent towards every major faction.

Tell me which minor faction or mercenary company I should get excited about, and why.
>>
>>46964584
One of my favorite mechs, aesthetically speaking.

Of course, I don't actually play so I've got no idea how well it works.
>>
>>46964940
>Tell me which minor faction or mercenary company I should get excited about, and why.
>inb4 WoB meme wall
Tell me, how much do you enjoy bitter disappointment and/or the capellan confederation? Because pretty much all of the larger minor factions go one of those two ways, in the end
>>
>>46964940
>Tell me which minor faction or mercenary company I should get excited about, and why.
If you're not going to follow the metaplot from '60 onwards, or only play in earlier eras, I must recommend the Taurian Concordat.
They're the largest, most stable periphery realm. They have the best standard of living, a military industry actually capable of building things, and are one of the very few governments not repressing their people in some way. They're the last people interested in starting new colonies and exploring, and they have Space Texas Rangers to maintain order way out there. They've got this neat western theme in general going, and they're large enough to have wiggle room for the inclusion of player-created units or mechs.
Overall, you can simply do the most with them of any minor faction. Before they get colemanned, that is
>>
>>46965143
WoB doesn't count as "major"? (And honestly, I think even the space furries are cooler designated villains.)

>Checking Sarnawiki and 1d4chan for Capellan Confederation
Eh, I don't see anything particularly good or bad about them in comparison to the others. Probably isn't the worst major faction.

>bitter disappointment
Depends on what you mean; being defeated militarily (for reasons other than incompetence) won't make me like a faction any less. (Rasalhague is on my list of possibilities.)

>>46965426
>I must recommend the Taurian Concordat.
Hm. Its certainly interesting, although the western theme doesn't appeal to me.

>colemanned
This refers to a particular author of fiction, correct? I take it you think the lore he wrote isn't exactly 'top-notch'.
>>
>>46964874

>TFW the Hellstar isn't available to the FWL, but is to every other IS power

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1481/hellstar-standard
>>
>>46965567
That was the joke, yes.
>>
>>46965562
>This refers to a particular author of fiction, correct? I take it you think the lore he wrote isn't exactly 'top-notch'.
Yes. To be specific, he is a great lover of the capellan confederation, and was also their primary writer and, pertinent to why taurian fans don't like him, also wrote for the periphery. Now, the issue is that as part of his drive to make the CC the best, he decided on a plotline where they make an alliance with the two major periphery states, the Taurians and the Magistracy of Canopus. For this to happen, the taurian's only competent leader was killed off in a contrived hostage disaster, and replaced by a moron who essentially did whatever the capellans wanted, mostly using the taurian army to achieve their goals at no benefit to the the taurian state. This guy is such a moron, that half of the concordat up and leaves to form a new nation. Shortly after, the concordat goes full retard, invades the federated suns and starts a nuclear war, in the end getting so wrecked that about half of their remaining worlds leave and the place becomes a repressive military junta. All of this is in more or less complete opposition to everything about the concordat pre-coleman This is all under Coleman's writing. So I think you can see why taurian fans aren't so fond of him. Also, he embezzled a shit ton of money to build a new porch and it nearly killed CGL, but they just let him get away with it. He's still one of the co-owners of the company. Plenty of people also hate him for non-fluff related reasons, too

And for one last thing, if an angry guy shows up and starts posting paragraphs, ignore everything he has to say about any and all factions
>>
>>46965829

>Everything Coleman wrote was in direct opposition to what was established before it
>There are like two books prior to the TC getting significant page time, one of which is non-canon and has been for years, but both of which are consistent with their later portrayal so whatever
>Anyone who tries to contest this is the real troll and baitmaster even though someone conveniently asked a question that lets you sperg out like this, again

Anon, why do you even post here? Why not just join PRI's forums or something?
>>
>>46965944
Shit, didn't think you'd be browsing the thread right now, I just included that warning for future reference
>>
>>46966001

>Only one person is tired of your shit.

OK, sure. Whatever. Sperg on, you crazy rhomboid.
>>
>>46966055
You know, repeating the same response pretending to be more than one person every time makes it even less convincing
>>
>>46965562
>Capellan Confederation
>Probably isn't the worst major faction.

Wow, you ARE new.
>>
>>46966083
I'm fine with playing the bad guys; unless you mean they're poorly-written?
>>
>>46966331
>unless you mean they're poorly-written?
Yes, that
>>
>>46966331

From what I can tell, there's a lot of major powers waxing and waning in the time leading up to 3145. The CC and DC are riding high, the FC is getting smacked down, and the LC isn't doing so well either. FWL is recovering.

He could be referring to the expected butthurt on both sides by fanboys. Or maybe the others who claim that the CC rising is mostly because of author fiat and bad writing.
>>
Would building a new ASF production line be more or less difficult than an equivalent mech line?
>>
The entire Rim Worlds military on the eve of the Amaris Coup vs the entire Clan military on the eve of Revival.

Who would win?
>>
>>46966417

It's important to remember that only Capellan fanboys have almost bankrupted the company and killed the franchise.

>>46966331
>unless you mean they're poorly-written

This.
>>
>>46966839

About the same difficulty.

ASF numbers aren't just bottlenecked by production, if a pilot fucks up the ASF is a lot less likely to be recoverable than a 'Mech.
>>
>>46966857

Clans. It's not even a question on the ground. And while the RWR has more Warships than the Clans, practically all of them are shit Warships like the Pinto. And whomever has more/better warships, wins the war.
>>
>>46966857

Kek.

200-odd WarShips and 600+ Clusters against Amaris' dipshits?

Clans would finish the RWR up over the course of a long weekend, tops.
>>
>>46966857
Just on the ground or in space, too?
>>
>>46966857
If amaris gets the SDS, he wins instantly. If he don't, he loses instantly. If it was JUST the invading clans, it MIGHT be an even match
>>
>>46966929
Just on the ground.
>>
>>46967006
Then it's down to nukes
>>
>>46966872
>It's important to remember that only Capellan fanboys have almost bankrupted the company and killed the franchise.
It's also important to remember that /btg/ is forehead tattoo FWL lovers, and is extremely biased.
>>
>>46967079
>this guy again
Keep telling yourself that m8
>>
>>46952906
>What's your go-to mech?
Men Shen. Fast, and there's a config for everything.
>As a commander ride?
That cyclops with the two GRs
>As a force filler?
Vindicator. Cheap and does reliable, if bland, work.
>As OpFor?
Entirely depends on what faction I'm playing OpFor as.
>>
>>46967079

Even if BTG was made up solely of purple burd lovers and not being a lilac sparrow fan was sufficient to have your IP traced and a actual, honest-to-god, "shoot you in your non-orchid-osprey loving face" hit team was dispatched to your home...it still wouldn't change the verifiable, objective FACT that only Capellan fanboys have almost bankrupted the company and killed the franchise.
>>
>>46950760
Vargyr. And they predate the furry shitstorm by a few decades, so no, just sci-fi animal people.
>>
>>46954069
You heard it here, folks, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are cancer.
>>
>>46954069
Wooo, anons breaking out the premium bait
>>
>>46968061
>objective FACT that only Capellan fanboys have almost bankrupted the company and killed the franchise.
Do share said facts, as a newbie to this entire thing I'm interested.
>>
>>46961622
Dont you talk shit about muh vindicator. Even if its not the best mech you cant get a better medium for your C-Bills.
>>
File: WIP QT187.jpg (507KB, 941x795px) Image search: [Google]
WIP QT187.jpg
507KB, 941x795px
So. Much. Pinning.
>>
>>46968358
Give me a force of Hounds and Vinicators and I will give you the innersphere on a platter
>>
>>46968398
>pinning
Were I not so lazy. I never pin my shit. And man, I have that Thud mini; it's terrible. Assembly is terrible, and the pose is awful.
>>
>>46968398
>actually owning a Phoenix MAD...
Tell us the story of this. And it can't be "I paid money because I wanted it" because that shit just isn't possible.
>>
>>46968474
The hound has literally only one flaw, and that's it's 3098 intro date. Well, maybe two. The lack of CASE is a bit of a problem. But that's it, really
>>
>>46968991
Just upgrading to DHS and frees up a few tons for updrages on the hound. Its a great mech if you're running a merc campaign for that reason alone
>>
>>46968061
>Capellan fanboys
>plural
One. One person. One person that likes something does not define everyone that likes something, you autistic tribalist twit.
>>
What are some introtech mechs that (with updated variants) might find their way into the RotS?
>>
>>46969044
>Its a great mech if you're running a merc campaign for that reason alone
Oh, indeed. If I'm ever playing in someone else's DA campaign it's gonna be all hounds all the time.
>>
>>46969217
The Awesome 8Q
>>
>>46968991
>The hound has literally only one flaw, and that's it's 3098 intro date
This. I'm actually surprised nobody came up with something like it earlier. It's what the 3050 Cataphract should have been
>>
>>46969217
Any of the unseen
>>
>>46966417

I have little problem with what the Capellans are doing.

They've been bearing the brunt of aggression from their neighbors for nearly 800 years haven't they?

Besides, nothing they've done so far seems unbelievable from a lore standpoint.

In fact, as I understand it, it seems the Federated Suns suns created the problem they currently face given Davion aggression was one of the things that gave birth to the Capellan state.
>>
Would the Raven Alliance stand up to a concentrated effort by either the Combine or Suns to destroy them?

Also, how many Pocket WarShips does it take to threaten an actual WarShip in combat?
>>
File: WIP QT186.jpg (813KB, 1424x827px)
WIP QT186.jpg
813KB, 1424x827px
>>46968962
Well I got the simpler version for good reason.

I've still had to re-attach I think both arms, legs are ok though, due to pinning them both into the base. Did the same with the thunderbolt which was worse because knee joint pinning. The MAD though is twisted in that direction to try and shift as much weight to the center of the base because wow that thing leans backwards.
>>
>>46953654
You know, if it weren't for the looks of it, the Buraq would be a really great and beloved BA.

But alas, it's a horse.
>>
>>46969426
>Also, how many Pocket WarShips does it take to threaten an actual WarShip in combat?
Depends on the PWS
>>
>>46969164

MadCap and Loren Coleman are not the same person. Thus, "plural."

Learn to engrish.
>>
>>46968061
>Lilac Sparrow
>Orchid Osprey

I'm staying all sorts of out of this particular edition of faction shit-flinging, but I will say that the various synonyms for "Purple Bird" never fail to be amusing.
>>
File: 1365628739178.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px)
1365628739178.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Greetings, Battletech Generals.

Does anyone have the guntruck army list handy?

I have a box full of hotwheels, 24 stands of infantry, a friendship to destroy.

Pic unrelated, but I actually enjoyed Clickwarrior.
>>
File: 1345812318100.jpg (175KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1345812318100.jpg
175KB, 375x500px
>>46969822
*Micro Machines, not hotwheels
>>
>>46968061

I thought that was because of a bad co-owner who grossly misused funds and wasn't even fired from the company?
>>
>>46969822
Never thought of proxying Hot Wheels for tanks. I guess my Vintage 1969 Turbofire has a use once I put wheels on it!
>>
>>46969904
That bad co-owner is the quintessential Capellan Fanboy.
>>
>>46969475
>MadCap
How did he bankrupt the company? He's another autistic tribalist twit, but he didn't do anything that would fit with
>only Capellan fanboyS have almost bankrupted the company and killed the franchise.
The plural is entirely unnecessary here and is just tribalist shitflinging.
>>
File: 1334800725072.jpg (909KB, 1728x1152px)
1334800725072.jpg
909KB, 1728x1152px
>>46969905
Micro Machines are pretty damn close in scale. Been using civilian ground cars and tanks for years.

Pic is not mine, but related. My father and I also have a yearly tradition of playing a game of Battletech or MWDA in the little christmas village my mom sets up. Liberity Falls is als real good for small scale.

Pic not mine, but shows hotwheels.
>>
>>46968398
Nice posing, anon. But you know you want to add greenstuff to the MAD's legs.

>>46969311
How's it going, MadCap? Get any new dakimakura?

>>46969822
>>46970044
>Gropey invades /btg/

Get back to posting armor, clown.
>>
>>46969822
Wheeled MechInf/Motorized Infantry with auto-rifles and disposable LAWs (which got errata'd to do triple damage because disposables were literally worse than normal guns). You can get the stats out of MML.

TRUCK STRONK
>>
>>46969822
>>46969858
Hey Gropes. I snagged a bunch of Terminator micromachines myself. Good stuff.

>>46970894
Its rare to see him, but he's always behaves himself and contributes.
>>
>>46971036
I have literally never seen Gropey in here before
>>
File: 1355025165268.png (2MB, 1728x1710px) Image search: [Google]
1355025165268.png
2MB, 1728x1710px
>>46969905
I thought that and small scale model train stuff was common practice?

>>46970894
>Get back to posting armor, clown.
Technically, I did here >>46969858, but I'll be happy to post more battle armour for you!

>>46971017
I know all that, but some one made a preset list with three or four different BV/EB scales, and an option for a single police or industrial mech for games that require at least one.

TRUCK STRONK! TAKE OUT WHEELS, IS GUN EMPLACEMENT! TAKE OUT GUN, IS BUNKER! TAKE OUT BUNKER, IS HEROS!

>>46971036
They are cheap as hell to find too. I snagged some Aliens, modern/near future military, and a bunch of cargo vans.

>>46971156
Its not my main game, and unless I need a quick response, I don't trip. Last time I posted was in a thread last November, according to archives, while digging for the guntruck list.
>>
File: 1362454445666.jpg (158KB, 1083x987px) Image search: [Google]
1362454445666.jpg
158KB, 1083x987px
>>46971238
>>
>>46971327
What the fuck dude? I JUST changed it since my ban.
>>
File: Blood_Legacy.jpg (464KB, 1204x2035px)
Blood_Legacy.jpg
464KB, 1204x2035px
>>46971326

Don't forget about the comically oversized Elementals.
>>
>>46971327
forgot to take your trip off while sucking your own dick, faggot
>>
>>46971326
Are you on open wifi?
>>
File: Lethal_Heritage.jpg (519KB, 1232x2032px) Image search: [Google]
Lethal_Heritage.jpg
519KB, 1232x2032px
>>46971362

Meant to post this image.
>>
>>46971354
You near W&M?
>>
>>46971385
Yeah, on my phone.
>>
>>46971447
Three different IPs: a phone, a computer and one from california
>>
File: IMG_0650_zps2xjom1tf.jpg (78KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0650_zps2xjom1tf.jpg
78KB, 768x1024px
>>46971427
CW
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>46971017
>got errata'd to do triple damage
Kind of. The way they convert infantry scale weapons to BT damage includes a modifier for weapons that only get a few shots off before having to be reloaded. I think the idea is that as part of the abstraction of infantry weapon attacks, time spent reloading is not spent shooting. Not entirely ridiculous, but poorly implemented in some cases.

One-shots were one of those cases. As support weapons, the magic number of shots is 3 - anything with less than 3 shots in the clip/magazine/tube gets it's damage modified down. Standard SRM launchers have two launch tubes, so their damage is reduced by a third of what it would be. Light SRM launchers only have one tube, and are modified down two thirds.

At some point, someone pointed out that disposable weapons never get reloaded, so penalizing them for reload time was dumb. Then disposables got errata'd to ignore the clip size modifier, tripling the damage and making them not suck. Or be pretty awesome for one turn, in the case of LAWs and VLAWs.
>>
>>46971518
Get off the wifi and on data. Im at Trinkle hall. If anyone gets banned, we're all on the same internet.
>>
File: 1256443222898.jpg (35KB, 378x316px) Image search: [Google]
1256443222898.jpg
35KB, 378x316px
>>46971551
The abstraction isn't perfect, but plainly speaking, the system is not designed for infantry combat. I can forgive it.
>>
>>46971518
>W&M
>CW
You're going to the Ravencon CBT game.

If I meet a faggot running a gun truck list, I'll assume its you. /tg/ secret handshake.
>>
>>46971623
>attacking a Vulcan 2T at less than 60 meters with nothing but autorifles

Those guys have exactly ten seconds to live.
>>
>>46971691
Beat me too it.
>>
>>46971623
You go to William and Mary?
>>
File: 1368039437590.png (1008KB, 915x1103px) Image search: [Google]
1368039437590.png
1008KB, 915x1103px
>>46971659
I will neither confirm not deny. That said, if you manage to initiate the /tg/ handshake, i'll buy you a drink.

>>46971691
>>46971754
Such is the way of the clans.
>>
File: 1261688751318.jpg (1009KB, 2320x1474px) Image search: [Google]
1261688751318.jpg
1009KB, 2320x1474px
>>46971808
No, I work at CW.
>>
>>46971386
>tfw you will never challenge Inner Sphere surats to a dance off
>>
>>46971447
what was deleted?
>>
>>46971808
I do. You?

>>46971836
Get off my bandwidth Yankee Doodle. My tuition pays for it, and there were no smartphones in colonial times.
>>
>>46971926
Some guy thought he caught clowntrip selfposting. Janitor can see IPs and probably deleted it.
>>
>>46971942
Nah but I'm from the area. Don't live nearby any more, though.

Where were all you fuckers when I was?
>>
File: 1289189382342.jpg (249KB, 900x992px) Image search: [Google]
1289189382342.jpg
249KB, 900x992px
>>46971902
>A whole planet
>One game of football

>>46971926
Someone trying to start trouble.

>>46971942
The weather is shit, and no one is coming tonight.
Besides, im on mobile data now.

>>46971969
Im off it.

>>46971977
Probably back home, in the glorious French Colonies.

Where you now?
>>
>>46972022
Wait, what are you claiming happened?
>>
>>46972010
Don't spoiler NSFW.
>>
>>46972010
So we got a janitor or mod who actually gets shit done.

Neat.
>>
>all these VA nerds

Like >>46971977 said, where were you all

Stay put til I come back damnit
>>
>>46972022
>a whole planet
>one coin toss
>calling edge
THINK OF THE GLORY
>>
>>46972038
Some shittier networks basically link all devices on the same wifi to the same 4chan temp profile.

Remember a while back when we were getting cross-board picture swaps?
>>
>>46972096
it was quite edgy
>>
File: 1265557289881.jpg (104KB, 542x326px) Image search: [Google]
1265557289881.jpg
104KB, 542x326px
>>46972038
I thought someone sniped my trip. Im somewhat of a Luddite.

>>46972058
I know, right?

>>46972061
When you coming back? Can I assume your being stationed here?

>>46972096
WHERE GLORY FAILS, MIGHT PREVAILS.
Seriously, did that happen in cannon?

>>46972112
>Remember a while back when we were getting cross-board picture swaps?

That shit was fucked.
>>
>>46972147
>Seriously, did that happen in cannon?

It's the most famous scene in the Twilight of the Clan novels. Funny that the clan that had that moment went full Trial of Annihilation on militia later. Santin could be one hardass son of a bitch.
>>
>>46972147
No, I'm from the 757. Moved overseas for at least a couple of years. I thought about going to W&M for undergrad.

I know a couple other BT players in the area if you're looking for people to play with.

>Seriously, did that happen in cannon?

Yes
>>
>>46972206
I probably know some of them. I am doing the Ravencon game.

Also: Jack's Crosstime Saloon. I am still jealous as hell over his Steiner patch.
>>
new thread

>>46972245
>>
>>46947866

that was the worse thing as doing that created so many legal headaches.

and it's telling that neither Catalyst or Topps wants to bother getting all of the IP back under one roof because of all the legal hurtles they would have to jump and the cost of such.
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.