[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been reading a lot about Frostgrave and it seems like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (162KB, 750x1011px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162KB, 750x1011px
I've been reading a lot about Frostgrave and it seems like a pretty interesting game that I'd like to give a go. Plus, I've got a bunch of minis laying around from various tabletop games that I'd like to find a second use for.

What's /tg/s experience with Frostgrave? From what I've read online, some elements of the game are pretty frequently home ruled. (Experience points and game lengths are the most common I've heard discussed.)

Have you played Frostgrave before? What house rules do you use? Are there enough Scenarios in the book to offer more game types than the, "run and collect treasure as fast as you can then gtfo" that seems to be a standard game?

Thanks
>>
>>46839757
It is a really fun game, but as you pointed out it can be unbalanced. Kitting out a warband to kill the other party first and then take the treasure can ruin the fun, hence 6 turn limit being a good solution.

The scenarios all focus on treasure collection, just with a few gimmicks here and there. The current narrative campaign sets the treasure as more of a side goal however, offering it as a reward for doing other things
>>
Terrain is important. Cover the table with it. An open table breaks the game pretty badly, but it's great if things are packed tight.
>>
>>46839882
Is the current narrative campaign the Thaw of the Lich Lord?

For a new player (and my D&D group I hope to drag into this) would you recommend starting with one of the pre-written module campaigns as an introduction to the game? Or just kinda run a vanilla, main-rule book campaign to get the hang of it...it really doesn't seem like too of a complicated game though.
>>
Has anyone got the pdf?
>>
I'd mostly be wary of the way you handle levels, as due to the way that the game works, you tend to have one or two warbands gain a leg up on the other warbands in experience and treasure, at which point they become an unstoppable snowball in most normal mission types.

It suffers from the capitalism problem of "rich get richer, but if you cripple the successful, then nobody will want to play.". One solution I've found is to allow multiple warbands to sort of gang up on strong opponents occasionally during missions, with the agreement to split treasure to some degree.
>>
>>46841606
How many warbands do you typically have in a single campaign? And do wizards/bands really get that powerful where 2v1 can be balanced?
>>
File: Competition.jpg (279KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Competition.jpg
279KB, 1920x1080px
>>46839757
>pretty interesting

It's a move>shoot>krump TTG just like all of them. Activation is the same as all the other activation TTGs and the odd optional rule seems kinda cool in writing can be playtested in one's preferred system and no one will ever have to look at FG again. tl;dr:

It's okay for babby's first warmachine-lite ttg - e.g. newbs starting from scratch, but most of the book is devoted to spell descriptions, not A New Standard in Gaming Satisfaction, if that's what people seek.
>>
>>46842717
I sort of like the simplicity offered. The people I play d&d with aren't going to pick up a 40k army. It's too expensive and too complicated.

I don't need a new Standard of Gaming. I just want a tabletop game I can drink a few beers while I play
>>
>>46839967
The Thaw of the Lich Lord opens with a pretty basic scenario that should be swell for introducing the group to the game. I would recommend it.
>>
>>46842717
I like it personally. It is more like Mordheim than Warmachine, and has a different audience as a result. I love it as you can use any miniatures from any manufacturers(Which are easy to find as the setting is pretty generic, and often cheap), unlike Warmachine where you have to pay for the very specific and expensive figures that Privateer Press sells.
>>
>>46843896
Cool - with how cheap the rule books seem to be, I'll snag the Lich Lord module too then. How long does that campaign last? Do you go through like a set number of scenarios?
>>
File: 2016-04-22-212612_268x221_scrot.png (51KB, 268x221px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-22-212612_268x221_scrot.png
51KB, 268x221px
>>46845824
Yep, it is a set number of scenarios. You go through 10 of them, with each warband competing at the same time. You can do one or two scenarios every so often whenever your group meets up.
>>
>>46839967
There is also The Hunt for the Golem (PDF form only) which is a three scenario campaign.
>>
>>46846431
So..."competes at the same time" does that mean if I had 4 players I'd be running a 4 person free for all?
>>
>>46847673
Yes. You can have warbands ally with each other if you want of course. In an unstructured campaign you can have two seperate 2V2s at once, and cycle with each game.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.