[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warhammer 40k General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 395
Thread images: 42

File: imuge.jpg (332KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
imuge.jpg
332KB, 1024x768px
Too Nice Out to Make a New Thread Edition

>Rules databases
https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index
>>
File: Joy_DA.png (28KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
Joy_DA.png
28KB, 1162x850px
First for First Legion is Best Legion!
>>
File: knightfags.png (16KB, 481x195px) Image search: [Google]
knightfags.png
16KB, 481x195px
>>46737069
Second for imperial knight armies!
>>
File: 65462.jpg (35KB, 700x514px) Image search: [Google]
65462.jpg
35KB, 700x514px
>>46737189
Simon Gotliffe but he ain't Got game.
>>
File: Ferrus_Manus_sketch.jpg (364KB, 1033x726px) Image search: [Google]
Ferrus_Manus_sketch.jpg
364KB, 1033x726px
Step aside best Primarch coming through. He died for your fleshy sins.
>>
File: skyhammer.png (1MB, 794x1059px) Image search: [Google]
skyhammer.png
1MB, 794x1059px
xth for this stupid formation is in the Angels of Death book so expect more people to start using it now that they don't have to find a fuckin' picture of it.
>>
>>46737266
hed be cool if he wasnt gay 2bh
>>
How's this for the base of my army.

Bloodthirster of insensate rage (warlord) 315 points
greater gift x2

Daemon prince of khorne 280 points
skull reaver
wings
greater gift x2
Lesser gift

Herald of Tzeentch 175 points
psychic level 3
staff of paradox
locus of conjuration
Exalted gift

770/1500 of my points limit spend on two big monsters with D attacks and a mage to support them with summoning, prescience and some nasty ranged barrages.
Is this too many points invested in to three models?
How would your army deal with this?
>>
>>46737108
If I brought my 30k Dark Angels and said they were Angels of Vengeance, would you let me play?
>>
>>46737189

This is exactly why I wanted to split the Renegade box with someone instead of getting two knights, but nobody I knew wanted to.

Doing it as one obvious loyalist and one obvious daemon knight instead so I can't use them in the same army list. I have both admech and Daemons, so it should pan out.
>>
>>46737189
I feel like playing against Knight armies is playing a totally different game than 40k. It stops being about movement, cover, and capturing. Instead it's basically taking turns shooting until one side gets too fucked to play. You could probably do the whole fight without any models and just use online autorollers and declare the winner.
>>
I've been building models all weekend and listening to a small handful of horus heresy audiobooks I found on the internet. Is there a mega link for -all- the audiobooks out there for Black Library?
>>
>>46737347
For sure I would, people play successors all the times, it isn't even unheard of for 40k chapters to be represented as a different 30k legion at my shop at least. (though they are still sticklers about being in the right power armour and such)
>>
>>46737397

>Not charging with 12 inch move d weapon havers

Okay.
>>
>>46737459
The only armour that's really out of place during the HH is MkVIII, everything else is cool. IF would be especially well equipped with MkVII during the siege of terra.
>>
>>46737459
Alright cool.

I like how my 30k Dark Angels look in comparison to the 40k green and wasn't sure if saying my legion is just a chapter if I decide to play a 40k game is ok
>>
Same Anon who had the dream from the last thread. The one thing that I don't understand about that dream was the Tech Priest riding the bike. Might as well give more details about the dream
>cogboy was on some Not!America planet with a Not!Wild West because of a rumored STC
>instead of tearing the planet ajar for the look of it he spent time at a shop acting like the most laid back dude around
>town had the STC and had a problem with the werewolves I mentioned ealier
>at first it looked like it was one wolf but turns out it was a whole gang of them also looking for the STC
>weren't Chaos worshippers nor Wulfen strangely enough
>just a group of piratical werewolves in space
>dream started to focus on some dude with a lead to the STC and was marked for death by the werewolves
>dude survived latest wolving attempt by hiding in some saloon/general goods store
>wolves didn't like that and had enough with subtlety
>STC was found and the tech priest left the town while the towns people fought the werewolves to buy him time
>tech priest was chill as ice and peddled to Not!Mississippi
>didn't seem to have a care in the galaxy and just enjoyed the bike ride with the STC strapped on his bike
Why was he so laid back and did he use a normal bike? The only other odd thing was that Not!Mississippi and every other state not associated with the Wild West was just like modern America.
>>
File: 1460641157819.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1460641157819.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
So I'm splitting a renegade box with a friend who's getting into knights. He bought his own as well, so I'll have one knight and he'll be fielding 1-3. I roll with imperial fists so I'm not particularly concerned about taking down the knights - I AM interested in having fun knight fights during games, especially in a scenario where mine is outnumbered.

So tactical barons of /tg/, if you were to have only one knight to fight against up to three others, how would you outfit it? I wanna follow in the Justice's footsteps.

Also, I gotta pick a house or go freeblade cause I'm buildin and painting this big guy next weekend. I know next to nothing bout houses. Who would hang out with Imperial Fists and fight a bunch of renegade knights and chaos assholes?
>>
Would giving terminators free jump packs make them playable/entice you to play with them?
>>
File: 1456534407566.png (94KB, 208x211px) Image search: [Google]
1456534407566.png
94KB, 208x211px
>>46737426
Aw yeah, seconding this. I do my best painting with them audio books. It's either that or finding a mostly audio tv show I don't care about.
>>
>>46737617
Your friend is running Chaos with three Knights? Guess that's one way to make CSM viable.
>>
>>46737644
It'd be funny as fuck to see, at least.

I'd like some kind of formation that lets me put jump packs on EVERYTHING.

JUMP PACK DEVASTATORS? YOU FUCKING BET.
>>
>>46737644
id rather they just fixed land raiders... and terminators
>>
>>46737617
I would probably want to get stuck in, honestly. Knight shooting is impressive, and they can focus fire you are going down quick. Stick it behind a bastion and then charge the first thing to get within move+ charge range.
>>
>>46737617
Well you probably want to go maximum melta and hope for some cheeky explodes! results before jumping into CC with the chainblade/dying.
>>
>>46737282
I was thinking about using some plain bolter CSM and raptor models to run this to support my horribly unoptimized Orks. I always wanted a small CSM drop pod force, but that will never be a thing. So I'll proxy, and maybe keep my trukks from getting blown up turn 1.

And none of you faggots can stop me.
>>
>>46737617
I'd go for an Errant style loadout. The melta blasts would might be nice if they try and team up, although the short range might be a downside.

Skyspear missiles would be good too for some extra S 8 shots. Chest melta instead of the stubber as well.

The Battlecannon might be better than the Melta if only for long-range ordnance, although that depends on your terrain.

I'd still go for a chainsword regardless, as you don't want to auto-lose in CC. Plus if he goes for double-gun renegade Knights it'll give you an edge.
>>
>>46737698
If you were my friend, I'd let you run that formation as CSM as long as you didn't complain about any formations I run.
>>
>>46737668
He's got like thirty berzerkers, claw terminators, and a khornate chaos lord because those are his favorite units. His suffering is tangible.
>>
>>46737590

>having 40k dreams

Thank god I'm not the only one

I had a magical realm-infused 40k dream last night which tl;dr came to "tfw no nurgle gf to spread plagues and torture normalfags with"
>>
>>46737672
This applies to most factions, I think. Jump Carnifex, jump meganob, jump jump Praetorians.
>>
>>46737717
This is the 3rd one I've had. I told one of them on a general before, and the other dream was on that one thread asking what is the freakiest thing in 40k.
>>46737746
Give the Carnifex bee wings.
>>
>>46737746
Put Flyrant wings on the Carnifex.

You now have a horrible monster.
>>
>>46735462
exactly. he is telling him "ok you can refuse to play me, just remember, me and my friends can reserve the right to not play YOU"

how do you not see it as a poorly veiled threat. They ALWAYS could refuse, its how the game works. He is implying if he does not want to play his self wank army, he will get black listed. Absolute faggot tier. And I hope someone steals all his models.
>>
File: 1460852795674.jpg (195KB, 1280x1446px) Image search: [Google]
1460852795674.jpg
195KB, 1280x1446px
>>46737700
Yeah, as much as I love the concept of HURL the fist is definitely auto lose.

>>46737695
I tend to have good luck with the damage table. This should be good.

>>46737691
I'm all about bastions, baby. Tank hunter centurions on the roof.

Can I take the thermal cannon, chainsword and the missiles on top of my head? Thanks for the advice, fellas.
>>
File: kkk scout.jpg (617KB, 1833x1584px) Image search: [Google]
kkk scout.jpg
617KB, 1833x1584px
>>46737772
>>46737746
Imagine if the Tyranids could field an army of nothing but flying monsters...
>>
>>46737563
You could say they are ultramarines and anyone who denies you is an ass.

I have seen tons of marine players start off painting one chapter then decide they like another's tactics better but keep the paint job and fluff it as a successor.
>>
>>46737776
So, that's my group with that rule.

If J says he doesn't want to play D because D is running x formation, D will accept. J just has to remember that D is able to refuse a game against J for any similar reason.

For example, J plays 'Nids, and D plays CSM. If J tells D ahead of time that he's going to be running multiple flyrants, our group's rules say that D is fully allowed to refuse to play against J.
>>
>>46737712
I generally don't complain about others army lists. 90% of my hobby time is converting and painting and only 10% gaming. Plus I've had some great games with stacked odds against my old shithead list tailoring roommate.

I figured if I run it I'll do it as SM, deep striking them basically makes them Desperate Allies. I'll just use CSM models for fluff/ I like them.
>>
>>46737698
Since it's in support of orks, I have no problem with this.
>>
>>46737836
>Flying gaunts
>Flying carnifexes
>Flying warriors
>Flying zoanthropes
NO PLEASE DADDY I'LL BE GOOD
>>
>>46737836
>Update
Flying Zoanthropes would probably crack the game apart, since they could move 12, fire in the psy phase, then run.
>>
>>46737835
Yeah, Thermal cannon, chainsword, and missiles is a typical errant setup. I think you could potentially get the Fist as well, but being super-unwieldly it'll lose you fights.

That said, you could probably model it with one and just clarify with your friend that you're using it as a Chainsword.

Outside of that, I wouldn't expect too much from it. It might be able to kill 2 knights before getting taken out with some luck, depending on the loadout, but you'll need those devastators to bridge the gap.
>>
>>46737867
OH GOD NO

>Nid player rolls psychic scream on multiple zoanthtropes
>He flies them into big areas to just obliterate your army

Is this how we make 'Nids good again?
>>
>>46737849

Oh, he's "Allowed", huh?

If you didn't "allow" people to refuse games, how exactly would you enforce that?
>>
Got a landspeeder and a shooty dreadnought for my Imperial Fists. Any tips on what the loadout for the landspeeder should be? Is running a double multi-melta speeder for 70pts still a valid strategy, or would it just be a good harassing unit with a heavy bolter and autocannon?
>>
>>46737886

no need to be that extreme.

just give them unit type: beasts
>>
>>46737860
>>46737867
I think at this point it wouldn't matter. Game's filled with enough cheese already so what's the harm in this?
>>46737886
Probably. Cruddance would only allow this an experiment.
>>
>>46737836
They already can. Flyrant, Harpy, Crone, 3 squads of Obsec Gargoyles.

>>46737860
>Flying gaunts
>Flying warriors

Both already exist.

>>46737867
Most other armies with Psykers can already do that.

>>46737886
Zoanthropes don't roll on the table I don't think. They just get Warp Blast by default.
>>
>>46737881
Sounds good, as long as we have some fun knight fights I'd never expect it to survive. I've got lascannon centurions with tank hunters, lysander and friends, melta bomb tacticals, vindicators, etc. I'm good.
>>
Sup fa/tg/uys, I'm a longtime fan of the wh40k setting and have DMd both Only War and Dark Heresy. Trying to get into the miniature stuff, but don't have loads of loney to dump in it. Went to my LGS and saw these new starting kits that seemed reasonably priced.

So, I wanted to ask you guys, are they worth it? Was thinking of getting the Necron one. I don't want to powergame, nor do I have the money for that, yet I would like to be somewhat able to put up a fight. Any pointers? If any of the other starter kit armies are really fun to play, wouldn't mind hearing you guys's opinions on that too.
>>
>>46737836
You actually can do that if you include some gargoyles
>>
>>46737923
Please tell me your friend plays Iron Warriors.
>>
>>46737917

Pyrovores with unit type Beasts, torrent on their flamers and toughness 5.
>>
>>46737912
Look anon, I don't know why it offends you so much.

We're a group of 10 men in our 40s that went to high school together that get together to play some Warhammer once a month while our wives do whatever groups of women do.

It's just our group's etiquette, really.
>>
>>46737975
Trust me, Beasts and Toughness 5 suffices.
>>
>>46737921
>Zoanthropes don't roll on the table I don't think. They just get Warp Blast by default.
lvl 2 with a default Warp Blast and one power from the Tyranid book
>>
>>46737978

You're saying you allow people to refuse games.

What the flying fuck do you think everyone else does? Cloroform game refusers as they try to leave and chain them to the game board until they take their tabling and like it?
>>
>If a model's second best save is at least a 5+ it may reroll failed saving rolls of a 1. If a model's second best save is at least a 3+, it may reroll all failed saves instead.

try it, its great.
>>
>>46738013
You have to admit, winged Genestealers would be pretty dang cool.
>>
>>46737919
>Cruddance would only allow this an experiment.
Cruddace would rather fall on his own sword before even contemplating of not beating nids with a nurfbat
>>
>>46738028
The fuck are you even talking about?

Dude in the last thread was mad that I said my group thinks refusing because of a formation is stupid but allows it as long as everyone is fine with refusing games because of reasons as simple as not wanting to play against something like 3 flyrants.
>>
>>46737978
>whatever groups of women do.

KEKED
U
C
K
E
D
>>
File: chaos star.jpg (40KB, 610x645px) Image search: [Google]
chaos star.jpg
40KB, 610x645px
What's the likelihood of Legion Supplements for CSM similar to Chapter supplements in future?
>>
>>46737954
He started as world eaters. He is steadily progressing into iron warriors after years of subtle nudging by me.

He loves heavy infantry, he passes all his vehicle saves, his heavy guns shoot the best, he hates daemons and doesn't care about psykers. He's always been an iron warrior, he just didn't know it.
>>
>>46738065

Yes and you keep presenting this as if there's something non-default about it what the flying fuck kind of autist are you?
>>
>>46738056
Let me see if I follow you here.

So a normal terminator has a 5+ invuln, and so can reroll all rolls of 1 on its armor an invuln saves, meaning he's basically immune to small-arms and has a better invuln.

Then, if he has a Stormshield, he rerolls all of that instead, meaning he's got a rerollable 3+ invuln?

Sounds kind of strange.

Also, Riptide.
>>
>>46738082
-0.01%________________________________________________
>>
Hey guys, my gaming group allow players to breathe, but only if the other player is allowed to breathe too!
>>
>>46737849
Thats not "your groups rule" thats how the game works.
>>
So I want to play Daemons and I really want to go mono Nurgle but I also don't want to get fucked by Warpstorm so I kinda want to take Kairos. How impactful is warpstorm on a normal game?
>>
>>46738082
3%

We've gotten 1 so far, and it isn't similar to Chapter Supplements at all.
>>
>>46738106
Do you even realize the irony in your statement?

The argument started because someone in the last thread was screaming about not finding anyone who would let you run Skyhammer. That guy chimed in and said his group doesn't like refusing because of formations.

You then went into an autistic rage about this, acting like he was asserting his group as the norm.
>>
>>46737938
Play the army whose theme you love, not the army whose rules you love. If you think the theme of necrons is awesome, then play them and fuck what others think.
>>
>>46738064
What was I thinking? That he'd ever show mercy to Nids?
>>
>>46738125

Fucking breathing nazi, the game has no rules for breathing and you fucking know it.
>>
>>46737938
The Start Collecting boxes are actually a great way to start collecting. All the boxes come with a formation to let you make a legal list with the box contents, rather than having to buy an additional troop or HQ choice before you can play. Go with whichever army you like best.

Necrons are a good army no matter what. They have an OP formation that makes them top tier at the cost of somewhat limiting your unit choices. You can always avoid that, or even just keep it on the back burner for a local tournament, or take it against that one guy who wants to run his double wraithknight/ jetbike list.

Be warned: they are easy to paint, but can be tricky to cut and assemble.
>>
>>46738125
Seems unbalanced, only Space Marine players should be able to breathe for free. Everyone else should pay 250 pts. to breathe, it is only fair.
>>
>>46738138
I just meant something that expands on rules specifically for that faction. Doesn't have to be the same thing.
>>
>>46738117

it doesn't make a terminators invuln better(unless its in cover). You dont cont a save anymore if yove lost it.
>>
>>46737617
Chainsword and Power Fist. Take the meltagun and str 8 ap 3 missile pod.

Get a charge off, though he'll wise up and figure out how to keep you out if combat and getting shot at. Upside is he'll be spending ~1200 points on 3 models, and probably using two of those 3 models to focus on 1 of yours.
>>
>>46738170
Space Marines get a formation allowing them to breathe, Tau and Eldar have breathing as a troop.
>>
>>46738208
>Implying Eldar players even need to breathe in order to win
>>
>>46738186
Well, that seems a bit convoluted, but I think I get what you're going for.

It's more of a way to represent the fact that they've got another save that might protect them, right?

So a marine sitting in a forest getting shot by a bolter gets to reroll 1s, to represent the fact that he's got better protection than just standing in the open?
>>
>>46738137
>I really want to go mono Nurgle but I also don't want to get fucked by Warpstorm
Take a small detachment/formation of some other army and make it the primary detachment of your army. You will have to pick a Warlord from that detachment but you won't have to worry about the warpstorm table
>>
File: air.png (292KB, 755x163px) Image search: [Google]
air.png
292KB, 755x163px
>>46738162
>>
>>46738239
>He fell for the "humans need oxygen" meme
AHAHAHAH
>>
Maybe the High Lords were onto something when they were thinking about outlawing breathing.
>>
File: ihgrhycwtne73hy3nv2d1[1].png (530KB, 1274x716px) Image search: [Google]
ihgrhycwtne73hy3nv2d1[1].png
530KB, 1274x716px
>>46738227
All they need to do to win a battle is blow up the planet.
>>
So the new Angels of Death stuff is making me want to get some Iron Hands. If I want to play an extremely shooty army what would SM plays suggest I get? I want to play a successor chapter that disdains melee combat as an inefficient emotional affair compared to cold ballistic calculations.
>>
>>46738238

Fair enough - I could probably go CSM. I wish there was a way to get bikes as troops in CSM.
>>
>>46738239
>The real Ork player's response.
>>
>>46738282
>>46738238

Next question - CAD or Incursion? If I go Incursion I can go pure demons (maybe) since I get to add or subtract 1 from the roll.
>>
>>46737282
This right here looks like an excellent reason for IG players to take a Priest with their primary blob. That way you autopass that damn Supressing Fusillade rule and reroll your own hit/wound rolls instead. Also, you can get a priest and carapace armor for the same price as a commissar, and the assualt marines can't sweeping advance an entire unit when they inevitably win combat.
>>
File: Know No Fear Wallpaper.jpg (509KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Know No Fear Wallpaper.jpg
509KB, 1600x900px
>>46738325
if we´re talking fluff, it´s the space marine response
>>
Getting World Engine very soon and I burn through books at a decent rate so I'd like to ask... are there any other good Cron books to read?
Maybe ones with Cron perspectives?
>>
>>46738231
>Well, that seems a bit convoluted, but I think I get what you're going for.
It runs off of the same 3 numbers you have to keep track of for every unit and character anyway and functions using dice mechanics that are very common in the game already.

It's more of a way to represent the fact that they've got another save that might protect them, right?
Pretty much. Its pretty stupid that a marine with a personal tank bolted onto his body who ducks behind an ageis wall has exactly the same chances of survival as a naked guy behind that same wall.

So a marine sitting in a forest getting shot by a bolter gets to reroll 1s, to represent the fact that he's got better protection than just standing in the open?
yes.
>>
I'm having a great time right now with Guard; I'm not struggling to keep up with newer codices (they're just a little more challenging). The only thing that needs doing is a slight re-jiggle with the points and make the auxiliary gravy units more viable.
>>
Anyone else feel like the Necrons, Daemons and Tyranids lose a lot of their emotional power when fighting each other?

None of them have the emotional range to be horrified by each other, they all run huge numbers of gross monsters, and self replicate endlessly. It feels kind of pointless, honestly.
>>
>>46738372
Anon even if you pass it you get punished.
>>
>>46737761
>>46737717
Protip. If you want more vivid 40k dreams/nightmares, sleep on your back and have some pillow pressure where your neck and skull meet in the back.
>>
>>46737189

The fact that this moron didn't see this coming and thought he'd get a game in with the updated Knight rules and an army of 5 Knights shows how retarded and oblivious WAACfags are.

It's no wonder Taufags are so hated and so dumbfounded when they find out every single person on /tg/ hates them.

Why don't you all just do everyone else a favor and kill yourselves? You're literally the Muslim and niggers of the 40k world COMBINED, with a dash of Hitler and Stalin for flavor.
>>
>>46738389
Alright. I think I get it now. That actually seems like a pretty neat idea. It certainly helps with survivability to a good degree.
>>
Beginner question. How do we decide what table sides to deploy on. The Tau player in my group always deploys on a short side so that he's six feet away from me but all the battle reps I see have armies deploying on the long sides and being four feet from one another. Sorry for the stupid question.
>>
File: image.png (644KB, 639x504px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
644KB, 639x504px
>>46738421
How does this help with 40k dreams?
>>
>>46738281
I don't know much iron hands fluff, but I like that. Maybe use a lot of predators, thunderfire cannons, sternguard, devastators, gun dreadnoughts, razorbacks, etc.
>>
Running an army of that one formation where seven ethereals form a unit spammed over and over until you hit the points limit.
>>
>>46738507
it helps with all dreams. just try it anon. trust me.
>>
>>46738475
should be a way to roll deployment type in the main rulebook. Most will have some variant of table quarters, halves or edges.

And if he acts like a fag, deploy all the objectives far away from the edge of the table, so he has to move or lose.
>>
>>46738413
But you don't get AS punished. The assualt marines won't get to reroll attacks, and dont pin your men, and won't sweeping advance. All you lose is the overwatch. Admittedly this hurts quite a bit, but its better than nothing. Besides, 30 guys hitting on 6's means only 5 hits average, maybe 2 wounds if your lucky. If I can reduce an entire formation that doesn't have objective secured to "I keep a whole 2 marines on a charge", then I'm happy.
>>
>>46738475
roll for it, it's in the rulebook.
There's 3 types of normal deployment.
>>
>>46738380
He's even yelling...
>>
>>46738475

You're technically supposed to randomise deployment zones, but most people just play with a long edge of the table as their deployment zone.

Presumably mostly because fuck diagonal deployment, takes forever to set up.
>>
>>46738539
>>46738530
Oh. Will do! Thanks! Still getting used to everything.
>>
>>46738513

>1850 tournament army that's just 37 Ethereals
>>
>>46738380
>>46738542

"VENTANUS! ACTIVATE THE VOID SHIELDS!"

"But, Lord Guilliman--you have no helmet..."

"AIR IS FOR COWARDS! DO IT!"
>>
>>46738589

Would probably still rape Orks or CSM.
>>
>>46738589
>"The Greater Good - 1850 points"
>everyone is wondering why certain opponents have 60+ victory points from a single match
>>
>>46738557

It's 11" and 22.5" on a 6x4" table. It really isn't that hard.
>>
>>46738629

It's lining it all up with terrain in the way that's the issue. Might be easier on a nearly empty table I guess.
>>
>>46737938
Necrons' start collecting is actually quiet decent.
It is one troop away from a Combined Arms Detachment and should be darn close to 500 pts.
So to add to that box get a Ghost Ark and ~10 immortals.
Warriors go in the Ark, Immortals walk with the Overlord until you get them a flier and the Stalker backs them up.
This will give you a decent army to get a feel for the game with not too big of an investment.
If Ebay is an option you can probably pick up your 2 boxes of immortals and Ghost Ark for a bit less than the Start Collecting box.
On top of this the Necrons are very easy to paint and I highly suggest the Army Painter Platemail primer if you plan on doing a traditional paint job.
It may be a bit more expensive because it is a name brand but I swear they fit two cans of regular cans worth of paint into their one can and it sprays perfectly every time.
>>
>>46738431
streuth m8

IF YOU ARE READING THIS YOU ARE NOW AWARE THAT THANKS TO GW'S NEW KNIGHT BOX, IMPERIAL KNIGHTS ARE NOW ONE OF THE CHEAPEST ARMYS TO BUY.

THIS WILL OBVIOUSLY BODE WELL FOR THE GAME
>>
>>46738703

Knights were the cheapest "good" army to buy even before the new box since they only required 3-5 boxes at around $100 each. No other competitive army comes close to the value and points per dollar.
>>
>>46738672

If you deploy your terrain for a normal long edges game you'll normally (key word) end up with a fair distribution for the diagonals. The one where terrain gets wonky is is short edges more than anything because for some reason people don't deploy terrain near board edges.
>>
>>46738733
now they will be $60 on ebay, for offical GW product, not even chinese.

you can now buy a 5 knight 'army' for $300... thisll end well..
>>
>>46738163

Thanks for the advice. Always liked the themes and design of the Necron, glad to hear they're viable too. A few friends might start playing with me, so I'll probably keep it very casual, yet being able to play a mean game after a while sounds great aswell.

That being said, still having a chance against a cheesing douchebag does,really sound good aswell. I once did an introductory game in my local Games Workshop a while ago.The redshirt guy hooked me up with a longtime local player and gave me a basic SM army painted in ultramarine colors to play with. The longtime player had this tricked-out CSM army with those flying units that look like mechanical dragons. Pretty sure he even still bent the rules in his favor even, put me off from trying the hobby for a bit.
>>
>>46738347
>CAD or Incursion?
I'm not a Daemon player so my knowledge is lacking, but Objective Secured sounds pretty good on Plaguebearers and Nurglings who have the ability to deep strike
>>
>>46738733
heyheyhey 40kg

speaking of cheapness

I just figured out a way to get filler troops for super cheap.

>Buy 1/2 boxes of the dudes you want
>go on ebay
>get a bunch of leg and torso bits for really cheap
>use the billion leftover bits you have in every box to make more, or get extra gun arms/etc. for cheap on ebay too

I just got another scion squad for $22 instead of the normal $35 this way (shipping included, though I did tack on some cadian heavy bolters for my Inquisition acolytes to get it to an even $25).
>>
>>46738752

At the local wargaming club we usually set up a pretty dense city.

At the local GW for pickup games, you either end up with a dense city board with all the buildings glued down, or the games spill over to the chronically unused AoS tables where there's maybe an altar, a forest and a small hut.
>>
I'm playing a Chaos Demons army tomorrow, I understand they are a melee army but what should I expect?

What anti-tank can they bring to the field?
>>
>>46738792

Incursion gives me the whole 'corrupt objectives' thing where I can basically claim an objective until you claim it,
>>
File: spacemarine (1).jpg (46KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
spacemarine (1).jpg
46KB, 400x500px
>>46738512
I'm starting of the with Collecting box. So I'm thinking missile lascannon dread would be a good idea. Any idea on what to give the tacticals? Plasmaguns maybe? Pic is the colors I'm thinking of.
>>
>>46738802

Some Space Marine kits don't even need extra torsos, just legs. E.g. Veteran boxes with extra torso variants and assault marines who give you double torsos for jump pack and strapless non jump pack.

Legs are ALWAYS the limiting piece in 99.9% of boxes. Only box I know of with extra legs is Devastator box to give kneeling pose, so you can make 6 devastators out of that. But you need an extra base.
>>
>>46738833

Grav or melta are the most useful special weapons for tactical squads these days. I still use plasma and it's still good since it's 24" S7 Ap2 but it's not as good as grav or melta.

In the Firespear start collecting box the best weapons for the dread are the strongest and longest ranged guns. So probably LC/PC or LC/AC. But if you're not using the box rules and are making a normal army, the best dreads are Ironclads and suicide multi melta/power fist ones.
>>
>>46738833
start collecting has a venerable dreadnought kit, so no missile launcher unless you snag the part on ebay or something

Plasmagun and missile launcher is a decent tac squad loadout. Think about giving sarge a combi-weapon, too.
>>
>>46738843
I have so many fucking torsos and heads sitting around.

I need legs.

I could make probably 20 tactical marines and 10 devastators with heavy weapons if I just had the fucking LEGS.
>>
I'm thinking of running a MT Army with Space Marine support. What do the SM have that could help me out? Stalkers? What troop type? I have to take one troop unit right?
>>
>>46738833
Sure, plasma guns are always a good choice. The new choice between grav guns and plasma is basically, do you want to move and shoot plasma or sit still and salvo the grav guns?

If you want some ideas check out their canon successors for flavor http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Hands

Nothing wrong with the missile lascannon dread. If you want to take a heavy weapon with your tacitcals by the way, missiles and lascannons aren't bad choices. With your ranged preference, definitely take a combi weapon on the sergeant to match your special weapon.
>>
>>46738923

Librarians, Grav Centurions, Drop Pods, Scouts, Quad Mortar Rapiers, Stormtalons, Bikes.
>>
>>46738475
you are getting cheated, son.
>>
>>46738914
>>46738843

here you go friends

http://stores.ebay.com/Bits-World?_dmd=1&_nkw=legs
>>
>>46738828

Bullshit, basically.

I play Daemons as one of my armies, and they're the weirdest, most unintuitive army in the game. Lots of random tables, units that vary between overpowered and pathetic with little middle ground...

I don't use them much anymore because the ammount of self-policing and mid battle adjustments needed to play at a semi-balanced level without under or overshooting is horrendous.

The one plus side was the handful of times I took the kid gloves off mid-game because an opponent was being a dick, and facerolled them.
>>
>>46738985
You can use Paypal on ebay right?

I don't have a debit or credit card for reasons.
>>
>>46738613
Now I want to boost people.
>>
>>46739009
Yep. What I actually just did was use a $25 Visa gift card (hence why I got the heavy bolters in my earlier post).
>>
>>46738881
>>46738869
I guess that leaves me with an autocannon then. I want to stay as far away from the enemy as possible so melta's out for the most part. My hope is as I get more dreads (Fluff-wise revered as the perfect fusion of man and machine. My chapter thinks their quest should be to become immortal by machine apotheosis because they believe the Golden Throne is what has made him an immortal god.) that they can handle the heaviest AT roles with LCs giving the marines some breathing space from their foes.
>>
>>46738238
Warp Storm table is fine. Daemonic Instability is what can really hurt. If you run Daemonic Incursion you dont have to worry about it.
Ive been running that with mono Nurgle. A Talkyband, Rotswarm, and a GUO. Its pretty nasty, but has no AA.
>>
>>46739009

PayPal was literally a part of eBay until they decided to make PayPal independent in 2014.
>>
>>46739026
Good idea. I do get some of those every now and then and just use them for food and shit...
>>
>>46739003
I'm having a read of their codex now, there's a lot of T3 in there which will be interesting for my tactical squads. At a glance, Heralds seem like pretty cost-effective HQs as well. Warpstorm might be interesting as well

I'll have a read about them on 1d4chan, I'm pretty excited for this game
>>
So I have been looking to get into 40k with Daemons for a while and was talking to a few of my friends today and they said I could easily make an 1850 list with Four Daemon Princes and a Knight.
I would like a low model count army but I am not sure how they work on the field.
Some troops would probably be beneficial the more I read and watch.
Would the army I mentioned above be a good place to start until I fill in the rest of the models?
>>
>>46738881

If you want those tacs to last long, magnets are the way to go. Magnetize one dude for all special weapons to be interchangeable.
>>
>>46738347
CAD if you don't want to deal with the headache of juggling formations. Remember, the incursion formations - both core and most auxiliaries - are rather expensive points wise.

Incursion is great for forward moving armies as they can tag an objective and then move on to do other things. Some of their formations have some pretty sweet rules as well - I am fond of Nurgle and Khorne myself - and being able to exert some control over the warpstorm is pretty snazzy too.

In short, both are great choices but what suits your needs and your style more?
>>
File: wedon'tknow.gif (1002KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
wedon'tknow.gif
1002KB, 250x251px
I want to make a Deathwatch terminator detachment using a formation. What would be a good choice? I was thinking a Deathwing formation but would First Company Taskforce (two termie squads one other since I don't want to use a lot of terminators) be a better choice?
>>
>>46738843

Looks like the devastator box is the next thing to get so I'll not only have a full assortment of HW available, but get an extra dude built. Maybe even use the kneeling pose feet for a special weapon trooper?
>>
>>46739261
I thought about doing this. What size magnets would you want to use, and what size drill bit?
>>
>>46739261
>>46739429

Tacticals are so cheap that I just build all their options. Plus magnetizing their wrists is too fiddly and I don't want to paint up a million arms to magnetize.

>but you'd rather paint up a million tacticals?

SHUTUP MOM
>>
>>46739429

1/8'' x 1/16' for them standard infantry. And there's usually a drill bit combo available for them too, if you know to ask for one.
>>
>>46739233
Do you mean to field an army consisting of 4 Daemon Princes and a Knight, nothing more?

Are you trolling? If not, your friends are trolling you.

Don't fucking do that.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Chaos_Daemons%287E%29

Read this and your codex. Make a proper list, then get back to us.
>>
File: vindicator.jpg (248KB, 1024x791px) Image search: [Google]
vindicator.jpg
248KB, 1024x791px
Why do they never show Vindicators without their Siege shield? I didn't even realize it was optional.

Do people really just like it so much that they always pay the points for it?
>>
>>46739233
It's a good place in that it's cheap and gets you playing at 1850 real quick. It's not so good if this is your first army/foray into 40k. Outside of the obvious flaws like lack of bodies and lack of options on the table, you're likely to get a very limited perspective of the game which will hinder your learning process.

If you're new to the hobby, I feel you'd be better off playing at lower points values rather than jumping straight to 1850.
>>
>>46739476

Mine only have the hand holding the grip magnetized and the part of the gun that attached to it, works fine for me.
>>
>>46739477
Alright.
Do you magnetize the wrist or the shoulder?
>>
>>46737921
que? Gargs are fast attack. There is no flying troop choice.
>>
>>46739498
I am not trolling but maybe I am getting trolled myself.
They showed me the formation for the prince and the knight that just came out can be used with Daemons.
My other option was to get two or three Start Collecting Nurgle boxes since he is conveniently my favorite god but they told me single god was a bad build.
I guess I will keep reading and looking.
>>
Guys, I want a small easy to set up army that is easy to play, competitive and allows me to kill shit because I'm tired of playing hordes.

Are those "play X today" boxes with the marines and a dread or necrons and a walking spider actually any good or what?
>>
Sorry for posting this again, but are there any Cron books that /tg/ would recommend reading? Maybe ones with Necron POVs too?
>>
>>46739523
Vindicators without Siege Shields are objectively better and cooler looking
>>
>>46739560

The Necron one is the best.

The Space Marine one is only good if you add a D gun fortification which requires more models for CAD taxes.
>>
>>46739524
>If you're new to the hobby, I feel you'd be better off playing at lower points values rather than jumping straight to 1850.
I get that and I have used some of my friends armies at lower points but they prefer to play at 1850-2500.
>>
>>46739560
Well, knights are small in model count and are easy to play and set up (once they're built).
>>
>>46739555
If you want to make a Nurgle mono-god list, go for it. Do what you want to do, not what will win you the most games.
>>
>>46739547
It's a formation that gives you Objective secured Gargoyles. Skystrike or something.

It was actually a pretty big deal when it first came out, since nobody else had Obsec then. It lasted for all of 5 minutes before the 7e rulebook came out and changed that.
>>
>>46739575

For 40k, sure. You just need a better looking shield.
>>
>>46739560

They are good boxes all around for the most part but they wont put you into a competitive list.

You can look up tournament lists pretty easily and see the common units in the armies or just read their tactics page to get an idea.

It goes over unit for unit in most cases.
>>
>>46739575
Yeah. It's given me a new appreciation for them.

Until now I've just been looking at the Deimos from forgeworld, which gets across a similar look. >>46739609
>>
>>46739555
Single god is bad in that you are arbitrarily limiting yourself from a whole host of options from the other gods and getting virtually no mechanical buff for it. If you're okay with that, then go for it. And in most cases, you'd probably do okay, even with mono god.

For what it's worth, I always go mono khorne with my daemons. Granted, I run with KDK but with the Murderhorde, Khorne is back in business.
>>
Am I miss reading something, or can you NOT make a pedro crimson fist sternhammer force?
>>
>>46739658
Do gods pair well?
Tzeentch looks like it has some stuff that would be good with Nurgle.
I like the screamers and chariots are cool.
I am reading this 1d4chan stuff now and I think I am going to try and make a list now that I have the codex.
>>
>>46738923
plz halp
>>
File: 1446156534837.jpg (33KB, 400x343px) Image search: [Google]
1446156534837.jpg
33KB, 400x343px
>tfw no qt3.14 drop pods
>>
>>46739587
I get where your friends are coming from but you gotta keep your own experiences and learning process in mind as well. If your friends are less keen on accomodating a smaller points table for you (say 1000 pts), then you can indeed jump off the deep end and start planning for an 1850 pt army. In which case I would not recommend the 4 Daemon Prince and 1 Knight combo. You need a lot of experience and knowledge to play any low model count army and from the sounds of it, you're likely going in fresh. It won't be a fun experience.

If you want advice on how to build a more conventional list, just holler/lurk in these threads. Most of these anons are friendly/helpful in that regard. And once you have more experience, you can go back to the 4 daemon prince 1 knight list and see how you like it.
>>
>>46739726

That's why CF players don't like the Sternhammer. It might have been unintended and maybe they'll FAQ him in.
>>
>>46739746
Biker cavalry, melee, sternguard and better psykers.

Treat them as a small, elite task force.
>>
Thoughts on the following list:

Daemonic Incursion

Unholy Tetrad

-Tzeentch Prince - Flight, Impossible Robe, Mastery Level 3, 2x Greater Gifts, 1x Lesser Gift [Warlord]
-Nurgle Prince - Flight, Warp-forged Armor, Mastery Level 3, 2x Greater Gifts
-Slaanesh Prince - Flight, Warp-forged Armor, Soul Stealer, Mastery Level 3, 2x Greater Gifts
-Khorne Prince - Flight, Armor of Scorn, 2x Greater Gifts, 1x Lesser Gift

Tally Band

-Herald of Nurgle - Doomsday Bell, Greater Locus, Lesser Reward

-6x Nurglings
-3x Nurglings 1
-3x Nurglings 2
-3x Nurglings 3
-3x Nurglings 4
-3x Nurglings 5
-3x Nurglings 6

Daemonic Flock

-5x Chaos Furies

Obviously the vast bulk of the army is in the Tetrad. The herald hangs out with the fat unit of Nurglings who just roll around and corrupt objectives. The other 6 Nurgling units infiltrate and corrupt objectives and generally are a nuisance.
>>
>>46739818
I find it funny that his small, elite task force army is going to have a smaller, eliter, taskier force allied to it.
>>
>>46739736
I don't play daemons but I know that a lot of people pair opposing gods to mitigate warp storm damage
>>
>>46739838
Add an inquisitor and paint the Marines in death watch colors and BAM
>>
>>46739736
>Do gods pair well?
Yes. Each god has a discrete set of advantages/disadvantages with some overlap here and there. They are as follows.

Tzeentch - only god with some semblance of shooting. Shitty in the assault though they have some fast models to use as a skirmishing unit.
Slaanesh - fastest of the gods and all his/her bitches come with rending so you can always fuck some dude's day. Shitty in a standup fight.
Khorne - AP3 for everyone! Kills marines ded! Not so much against terminators and other 2+ though. Reasonably fast and has one of the best assault units in the book in the form of flesh hounds.
Nurgle - Amazing at objective camping and giving the middle finger to shooty armies that don't have easy access to ignore's cover. Doesn't hit very hard in assault but makes for amazing tarpits that can and will lock down most units in the game.

These are just gross simplifications but they get the idea across. hope this helps
>>
>>46739889
Well to be fair, I'm doing the same thing too, just with Exorcists instead of Deathwatch.
>>
Painting my 3rd squad of termies at the moment and thinking of an 1850 list. How does this look? Inquisitor, and acolytes camp out in/near the bunker for sure-fire deep strikes and to pad my warp charge count while Draigo/Stern and the boys zip around the field in a deathstar. Other units take objs and kill when necessary.

List:

HQ
Brother Captain Stern
Lvl 3 Librarian with Domina Liber Daemonica, Stormbolter and a staff.

Troops: 3x Terminator Squads, 1 hammer, 3 halberds, 1 psycannon, justicar with falchions

Heavy Support: 2 Dreadknights, Psycannon, Incinerator, Teleporter, and hammers.

Inquisitorial Detachment:

Malleus Inquisitor: Termie armor, Psycannon/hammer, 3 servo skulls

2 Inquisitorial Henchmen squads: 1 psyker, 2 laspistol/chainsword acolytes

Fortification detachment
Imperial Bunker with Comms Relay.
>>
>>46739736
Tzeentch and nurgle do well, screamers and chariots are very fast and dangerous while horrors bring lots of magic power.

I line up my horrors and march plaguebearers behind them, it forces them to shoot the horrors first else they summon back their numbers while blasting away at the enemy and giving the plague bearers a cover save so they arrive in full force.
>>
>>46739940
AND I FORGOT FUCKING DRAIGO. Draigo is in there.
>>
So Tau stim injectors cost 15/35. My friend pays the 15 for his riptide and I have no idea if that's true.
>>
Does anyone have the White Dwarfs with Deathwatch Overkill and Betrayal at Calth missions? Like 114 and 99?
>>
>>46739830
A friend of mine plays something similar to this. He goes around stomping most lists(our meta for some reason does not have players who can counter assault armies) but got tabled hard against my GK. This is a disclaimer, meant to give context to what I am about to say.

The plan is sound but not without it's flaws.

First is your dependency on the four daemon princes. To makes matters worse, you lose one, the others become easier to kill. You've definitely made it harder to kill them and making them psykers definitely increases their utility and possibly their survivability, but it's no sure thing.

Second, nurglings are great against shooting units, less so against assault units. And while they can cover a fair amount of ground with infiltrate and not being slowed by terrain, they will not be able to hold their own the moment your DPs drop like flies.

Watch out for deathstar style armies or hardcore MSU armies. Both types of armies are great counters to your army. Good deathstars can make trading with them be a painful proposition and MSU have so many models and units on the table you're not likely to table them fast enough.

Hope this helps
>>
>>46740205
The 35 cost is specifically for the Riptide. It says so in tiny print right at the bottom of the list.
>>
>>46739940
>>46739973
Nemesis strike force? Why not combine 2 terminator squads into a 10 man squad? You can still combat squad as needed.

As for Stern, personally I'd swap him out for a Brother Captain + psycannon and hammer(optional). Paying 180 pts for guaranteed sanctuary is not worth it IMO. Alternatively, swap stern out for another psyker 3 librarian. Cheaper, can still get sanctuary and gives you more utility. You can even use the extra points to getting more terminators for one of your squads.
>>
>>46740245
Where? I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>46740238

MSU I am worried about. Deathstars I am not. I've yet to see a deathstar that can handle 28-40 Str 7-10 attacks. I don't care what kind of saves you have, what kind of mitigation you have Deathstars get absolutely ripped by a ball of princes.

That said I know it isn't a top tier list - it is really mostly for the fun of building 4 neat princes and having a tiny model count army (generally speaking).
>>
>>46740346

In the support systems list there's a little number next to it which at the bottom says the 35pts is for the riptide
>>
>>46740360
>I've yet to see a deathstar that can handle 28-40 Str 7-10 attacks. I don't care what kind of saves you have, what kind of mitigation you have Deathstars get absolutely ripped by a ball of princes.
>laughing invisible 2++ FnP deathstar with Culexis support
>>
File: riptide.png (452KB, 649x440px) Image search: [Google]
riptide.png
452KB, 649x440px
>>46740346
My mistake. It's not the tiny number with the tiny font at the bottom.

It's the giant header at the top of the section.
>>
>>46739658
Mono nurgle destroys all things, including vehicles in melee. Deep strike helps you get there.

Mono Khorne does the same thing, only has a tougher time with vehicles than nurgle.

Mono Slanessh has about as rough a time as Khorne with vehicles, but can melee anything else out of existence with constant rending

Mono Tzeentch got kinda screwed by the psychic phase change, but their screamers and flamers more than make up for it

So mono god isn't bad or limiting, it just forces you to get creative.

>>46739736
You can take soul grinders to cover for most issues each mono god has trouble with. Beyond that there's some fun stuff that forgeworld lets you bring that does the same stuff.

>>46739830
The princes will be useless for you in the end. Take lotsa plague bearers, with icon and instrument for the deep strike trick, then add two GUO's. Something like 2-3 squads of plague on the field with at least icons, then 4 ten man with icon and instrument in reserve with the GUO's

From there you can add a soulgrinder triplex easily to handle other issue you would have.
Also make the herald a psyker and give him a planaquin. Cursed earth is very useful.

You can adjust the plaguebearer count for some nurglings, just don't take too few for the instrument reserve roll trick.
>>
>>46740386

That's actually wrong. You are correct given the points cost but it isn't the subtext 2. It is actually stated immediately under the 'Support Systems' header.

'Where a support system has two costs, the second is for a Riptide, Ghostkeel, or Stormsurge, and the first is for any other Battlesuit'

is the relevant text.

>>46740407

Who would put a Culexis near their own psychic deathstar? It shuts down your invis too.

Alternately - I'll kill the psyker fairly quickly, even with invis up and once he's done you're done.

>>46740470

That defeats the entire purpose of playing a Tetrad. It isn't about super effective - I have a War Convocation for that. It's about playing with 4 big smashy models.
>>
>>46740436
Derp. I am an idiot. Pay no attention to me.
>>
>>46740470
>Mono Khorne does the same thing, only has a tougher time with vehicles than nurgle.
Not when they're basic troops are S5 on the charge and it's easy to buy S+1 and Ap2.

Thanks to the supplement it's easy for all your monsters to be swinging around destroyer weapons through relics or warlord traits too.
>>
>>46740360
Deathstars isn't exactly a problem if you can get ALL your princes into combat with it. But what if the deathstar gets the charge off on one prince at a time? That's a while different ballgame there. And it's not like that's a super hard thing to engineer. Imagine him going second. You have to move up, putting your princes closer to charging range for a deathstar. You don't have to move all the way up but then that's your princes waffing about while your deathstar contends itself with chomping on your nurglings until you come into range for him to charge. We also have not accounted for the deathstar's support elements. If the deathstar brings anything resembling long range guns, your Daemon princes can be sniped down while they're waffing about. Hence why I brought up concerns vs deathstar style armies. If you're confident vs them, then good on you but it never hurts to be sure of all your options.
>>
>>46739940
Give the acolytes bolters. It's one point and way better than laspistols. especially with prescience
>>
>>46740321
Yeah, NSF. I would like the guaranteed sanctuary because dice HATE me. I cannot tell you how many times I've rolled 1's on saves, failed the 1st turn deep strike, etc. Also, what's the point of combat squadding the termies? Do I just get to lose more models before a morale test? I've never understood the point of combat squadding outside of putting guys in vehicles.

>>46740608
It would put me at 1852. I'd have to drop the hammer on 1 dreadknight and have 3 points left over for nothing.
>>
What if you got to choose the psychic powers you want?

Would the game suffer?
>>
>>46740636
You would see invisibility everywhere. I saw some anon post a nerf to it that wouldn't be half bad.

Instead of making everything shoot snapshots, everything that targets it shoots at BS1 instead. Now you can use blast weapons on invisible stuff.
>>
>>46740636
Not really, the most powerful psykers can already get enough rolls to get the best powers anyway.
>>
>>46740636
Yes. There's usually at least one power on each table that's really high above the others.

It might work if you went table by table and put down 2 or 3 powers as ones you can take anyway, but a garuntee on invisibility, for example, is way too much.
>>
>>46740599

You're only going to shoot the Slaanesh prince. Otherwise you're shooting a jink + shroud nurgle prince, a possible 2++ but at minimum 3++ re-rollable Tzeentch prince, or an effective T7 Khorne prince.

Also - I'm likely going to be getting the charge rather than being charge but even if you do charge me - none of the models are easy to kill. The slaanesh prince is again the easiest but as fast as he is he's going to regain wounds quickly.

I've play tested the army against some very nasty TWC style deathstars and general super friends level shit and it doesn't have a problem with them. MSU pretty well aces me because I can't kill enough units fast enough to not get wrecked on Maelstrom.
>>
>>46740630
>1852

That's fair I guess. Still, seems like kind of a waste to even bother with them when you could just drop them for like 2 more psykers.
>>
>>46740636
This has been brought up many times
>What if you got to choose the psychic powers you want?
Then most people will pick the most powerful stuff every time. There would have to be some point system evolved (each mastery level lets you take X points of psychic powers, Psychic Power Y costs Z)
>Would the game suffer?
see above.
>>
>>46740686
Having it also just lower enemy WS to 1 would be a good change as well. After all, if Blind makes you WS 1 but still hit a Bloodthirster on 5s, why should the Bloodthirster being invisible make it more difficult?
>>
>>46740630
Combat squadding is taking a ten man squad and cutting them in half. The added benefit is that you get to decide the disposition of the squad. So earlier you have 1 psycannon, 3 halberds, 1 hammer and one falchion on the justicar per five men. When you make them into a ten man squad, you get 2 psycannons, 6 halberds, 2 hammers and 2 falchions. You can them split them up how you like. Put 2 psycannons and hammers into one five man and have the rest rock out the halberds and falchions? Sure thing. All up to you. In essence, it changes nothing within your list except that you now default to a fat 10 man blob of terminators that can split into two 5 man blobs if you find yourself needing an extra squad/warp charge.
>>
>>46740746
I'd be in favor of this.

You have to pay X amount of points to take Y power.

Really want a bunch of powers? Well, you're losing out on units, then.
>>
>>46740743
I'd love to add more psykers, but Inq warbands need 3 members minimum. That's what I'm running in them. I do agree a bolter would suit them better, but I can't fit them in there without fucking up the rest of the list.

>>46740780
Oh, now I get it. That sounds like it'd be fun, but if I want to alpha strike with those 10, I'd have to absolutely make sure I don't roll under a 3 even with a reroll.
>>
noob here

so what's the relationship between forge world and games workshop? One just makes pricey models?
>>
>>46740822
That's how it used to be, although I think you were still capped on how many powers you could buy.

It does basically make Psychic powers similar to other wargear or guns, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>46740470

>>Mono tzeentch is bad

Do you play competitively or even know who Alan Bajramovic is? Mono anything isn't best but tzeentch generally has the best options in most cases.
>>
>>46740842

Forge World is a specialist company that operates under the GW umbrella and produces more highly specialized models (that do cost more).

GW is Toyota and FW is Lexus if you will.
>>
>>46740839
erm... the psykers count as members. RAW, it says need between 3 and 12 MODELS. So you can just take a 3 man psyker squad.
>>
>>46740636
Depends on the table.

I know Tzeentch sorcerers would love being able to pick Doombolt every time.
>>
>>46740842
Pretty much.
>>
How are obliterators when dealing with knights?
>>
>>46740892
So is something like the Maurauder Bomber for IG still usable in normal games of 40k?
>>
>>46740906
They're Brotherhood. Doesn't matter how many I run in a squad, I still get 1 charge, hence the 2nd warband. I'm only using them to get the warp charge and whatever power I feel like rolling for them. A 3 man psyker squad for the purpose I intend to use the warbands for would be wasting points.
>>
>>46740968
ah. I see. Nvm then
>>
>>46740737
Sounds like you're okay on dealing with deathstars then. What my friend plans on doing for 1850 is he plans on taking the seeker chariot formation in tandem with the tallyband + tetrad. He won't have as much psykers as you do, obviously but I think it's a way to deal with MSU. Maybe you could try that?
>>
>>46740916
Heh, a guy in my group had a 5 game streak in our narrative campaign where his sorcs got Doombolt

We were all calling horseshit on it but I guess in exchange for getting that, the rest of his army decided to never actually hit anything.
>>
>>46741010

Yeah I think I could probably use my auxiliary more effectively and the chariots are good at rolling chaff. So I think your friend probably has the right of it from a more 'balanced' stand point. That said ultimately I think if you want to be super competitive you're still better off with double CAD over Incursion.
>>
>>46741031
To be fair, it is a smaller table, so he has higher odds of getting it.

Unfortunately, he also has the same odds of getting Gift of Mutation, which is basically worse than useless.
>>
Can someone give me some information/sources on how the Iron Hands treat psykers?

I want to run an iron hands army and include pyskers for the new geomancy and technomancy powers. I am going to assume Technomancy was based around the Iron Hands and they would have some pyskers. However, I dont know how fluffy it would be to run an entire Librarius Conclave in my list.
>>
>>46741179
You could always make the successors if you're just after the general tactics and worried about fluff.
>>
Can you play 40k in Tabletop simulator?
>>
>>46740636

What if you bought psychic powers ?

Invisibility for a 100pts might not be such a bargain.
>>
File: Iron_hands_Astartes.jpg (515KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
Iron_hands_Astartes.jpg
515KB, 700x990px
>>46741217

I actually really like that idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that. I just love Iron Hands for their customization. I want to order a ton of cybernetic bits from various sites and make each marine unique in their "enhancements".

I'll have to start thinking up some fluff for them to glorify psyker abilities.
>>
>>46741255
Yes, quite well
>>
File: Capture.png (24KB, 668x670px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
24KB, 668x670px
I saw another anon post about his sept symbol the day before yesterday, and I wanted to post mine for criticism, but I was on mobile at the time. How is my symbol? I want this to go on some custom dice I'll be ordering as well.

Quick fluff is that this isn't a "sept" symbol, but the symbol for the T'ron Research Expedition(Name WIP). The main mission is to experiment with terraforming and the reintroduction of essential life elements for further use by the Tau Empire. What better place than the "blank slate" planets of the Zone of Silence.

The symbol represents the forces of the Greater Good descending onto these barren worlds in order to repair them and bring them into the empire.
>>
hey, does only war have rules for aeronautica or flyers buried in one of the splatbooks somewhere?
>>
>>46741106
I agree. The incursion is too clunky to use easily and the benefits are neat but not exactly gamebreaking in that it will win you games. Double CAD is just more flexible and offers more in way of options going forward without pigeonholing you into specific units
>>
>>46739523
Yes. Ten points for cool factor always.
>>
>>46740916
>Tzeentch Sorcerers would love not having a 2/3 chance of a shit spell
Of course they would.
>>
>>46741310
>>46741179
I don't know but in general they're all about efficiency.

Are they effective Y/N?
Y
It's a waste of energy to hate psykers and counter-productive to to not use the tools available to you.
>>
>>46740636
I'd just roll sorcerers with DOOMBOLT everywhere and have Ahriman dumping 3 vortexes every turn in addition to the rest of his psychic dakka

but indeed, the idea of the magic god's sorcerers actually having good spells would be great
>>
>>46741310
Iron hands have fukken robot librarians and its cool as fuck.
>>
>>46741677
>3 Vortexes of Doom
>21 Warp Charge per turn
>pretty much guaranteed to perils multiple times a turn
I don't think that's going to go very well.
>>
>>46741469
>if you turn it upside down its just a guy shrugging
>>
Flying Circus of Nurgle - 1850. I haven't played in awhile - curious if FMC stacking is still a solid build.

Daemonic CAD

-Kairos Fateweaver

-Great Unclean One - Mastery Level 3, Greater Gift [2], Lesser Gift [1]

-10x Plague Bearers
-10x Plague Bearers

Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Power Armor, Wings, Greater Gift [2], Lesser Gift [1], Mastery Level 3

Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Power Armor, Wings, Greater Gift [2], Lesser Gift [1], Mastery Level 3

Chaos Space Marine Allied Detachment

Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Power Armor, Wings, Black Mace, Mastery Level 3

10x Cultists
>>
>>46741888
FMC stacking is a good build, what made you think it wouldn't be?

You tripled 8'd though so it looks like you have to play KDK instead
>>
>>46741771
>3 warp charges
>small blast
>1 hit per model

To be honest, vortex of doom really isn't that scary any more.
What it was made 4WC and large blast?
>>
>>46741885
I actually started it upside down, never caught that.
>>
>>46741944
If it still wandered around the battlefield afterwards? Terrifying.
>>
>>46741910

Valid point - I'll start working on a KDK list.

The reason I wasn't sure is it seems like ObSec is the name of the game these days with Battle Company and what not. I mean granted FMCs can just blast units into paste but 22+ ObSec units seems like a PITA.
>>
File: 1440174561828.png (394KB, 600x578px) Image search: [Google]
1440174561828.png
394KB, 600x578px
>>46737426
Bumping my own post in hopes of the right person seeing this
>>
>>46738431
>hitler and Stalin

You are a fucking joke.
>>
So /TG/ I played again today against my eldar friend, and after the two humiliating defeats I finally won today, but also the first time I tried formations, more specific the Blackmanes detachment
>eldar friend arrive and ask what am I playing
>I tell him space wolves
>he begin to writ his list while I check if my army is complete complete (I already had mi list ready)
> he deploys one farseer, 33 squads of three scatter lasers, one formation of aspects with the +1 to BS( 2 squads of 5 dark reapers one squad of 5 swooping hawks aspects), 1 squad of 3 war walkers with shinning spears, one squad of D schites on wave serpent and one fire prism.
>I deploy one wolfguard battle leader on thunderwolf with pair of wolf claws, 1 squad of 3 thunderwolves with wolf claw and storm shield, one squad of scouts as they come, one squad of 5 long fangs with 4 ML, 4 squads of 5 blood claws with one flamer on drop pod, 4 squads with ten grey hunters with 2 plasma rifles on drop pod
>he deploys everything near his table edge and behind cover out of LoS
>I do the same with the thunderwolves and BHWG, long fangs and scouts
>I win the roll to go first
>drop pods fall, wolves come out
>shooting to dead a squad of dark reapers with with farseer, the swooping hawks, 2 war walkers, 2 scatter bikes of one squad, can't even scratch the fire prism rear
>thunderwolves, long fangs and scout run
>eldar turn
>he moves his surviving war walker and bikes
>shoots with wave serpent shining spears into drop pod, Penetration but he rolled a two
>fire prism kills only 4 grey hunters from squad A
>bikes kill 2 blood claws
>his surviving war walker kill two grey hunters from squad b
>he tries to shoot GH squad c, his wave serpent is between two units
>his wave serpent and fire prisms aren't on based
>I claim cover because the wave serpent
>he says u can't because it isn't blocking LoS
>I call out that they are gravitic and need bases
>he rage quits
>mfw
Was I wrong for calling that out?
>>
File: IMG_20160323_210357.jpg (84KB, 320x405px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160323_210357.jpg
84KB, 320x405px
>>46742429
Forgot face
>>
>>46740686
I like the idea of it still being snapshots but the unit immediately loses invisibility if it shoots or declares a charge.
>>
>>46742429
33 units of scat bikes?
>>
>>46742504
Sorry typo only 3
>>
>>46742429
>33 squads of scatterbikes
>warwalkers with singing spears
wat?
>>
>>46742429
nah he was just being a cunt m8
>>
>>46742534
Shinning, fucking auto correct.
>>
>>46742534
I think he meant bright lances maybe?
>>
File: heresy.jpg (83KB, 919x1300px) Image search: [Google]
heresy.jpg
83KB, 919x1300px
>>46737069
tips on building a dark eldar army.
>>
>>46741469
Please keep the Tron name.
>>
>>46742552
That, sorry I'm not expect on eldars.
>>
>>46742553
Venoms are good.
>>
>>46742576
Expert*
>>
>>46738028
>Cloroform game refusers as they try to leave and chain them to the game board until they take their tabling and like it?
We will continue this game; In the shadow realm!
>>
File: wBKowvw.jpg (372KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
wBKowvw.jpg
372KB, 3264x2448px
>>46742556
I'm not the best painter, but it's the paint scheme of my army.
>>
>>46742576
it's okay. Your friend sounds like cheesetard though. And I say that as an eldar player.

Funny story, at the last 2 tournaments I've been to the only eldar shinanages I've had opponents go "what, let me see your codex" to me about are things that were that way in 6th ed.
>>
>>46742674
by the greater good...
>>
File: FTNFTBVI9UDMK3M.LARGE.jpg (16KB, 351x329px) Image search: [Google]
FTNFTBVI9UDMK3M.LARGE.jpg
16KB, 351x329px
>>46742553
Take some Venoms and then play Craftworlds
>>
>>46742674
Looks fine to me, but maybe the black's a little too thick.
>>
>>46742674
Seems good to me anon. Certainly better detail work than anything I've managed.
>>
>>46742674
looks good, i've just never been a fan of tron schemes, especially primarily black ones, and I hate blue....
>>
>>46742755
God, if I was good enough, I'd paint it in the original Tron style, white with the red/blue edges. That would look fucking wonderful.
>>
>>46742702
Oh can I ask you something, can eldar units shoot then run and then shoot with his next units? Or he have to shoot with everything and then run with the units? Because he shoot with his war walker, then run and he shoot with his fire prism.
>>
>>46742778
I think you go unit by unit for everything that has battle focus.

So you fire with say a guardian squad, and then have that squad run, then move onto the next one.
>>
>>46742813
Thanks, I felt cheated for that but I wasn't sure how the eldars rule work.
>>
>>46742778
>>46742813
>>46742864
shoot than run each unit. If you forget then you don't get to run.

Also, unlikethe couple other things in other armies that have similar rules, Eldar can run either before or after shooting. IIRK the others have to either be only before, or only after, depending on unit.
>>
>>46741888

You will get grav cannoned into oblivion or shot to tiny pieces by tau. Remove all armor and add more plague bearers.

Even then, you'll get wrecked most of the times.

>>46742429
First mistake, he asked what you're playing before he made a list
Second mistake, playing drop pod spam and acting high and mighty
Third mistake, not establishing how LOS works with the baseless skimmers
Four, final and most serious mistake: BARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARK
>>
>>46742864

You felt cheated because it's a bullshit rule and Eldar as an army in general is full of shit.

The special run move granted by Battle Focus isn't an army wide phase like the normal run. It's an addition to each individual shooting action, because as soon as a single squad fires, he chooses whether he will be running or not as part of his Battle Focus while other squads may not be shooting or running at all that turn.
>>
>>46742492

That makes no sense.
>>
>>46743069
invisibility working in close combat at all makes no sense
>hmm whats this shimmering faggot shaped thing in front of me
>ill just smash it with this chainfist and find out
>>
>>46743142
>faggot shaped thing

I lol'd.
>>
>>46743142
Invisibility should really just be ruled as a stupidly high cover save. That's what every other nigh-invisible thing in the game is.
>>
As a Necron player, I'm too fucking hyped for the new Renegade Knights. I was already thinking of making a Chaos Knight and just getting a barebones CAD to bring it with my Crons, but now I don't even have to worry about that shit. Sucks that they can't become Daemons, but you take what you can get.

And what I can get is a shooty Knight or two standing behind a fuckton of Wraiths.
>>
>>46743214

Not Ghostkeels.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (44KB, 357x412px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
44KB, 357x412px
>>46743005
>First mistake, he asked what you're playing before he made a list
He can't? Because he always ask before playing with anyone
>Second mistake, playing drop pod spam and acting high and mighty
Sad thing, I always never used them before this day, I really enjoy foot slogging armies
>Third mistake, not establishing how LOS works with the baseless skimmers
Well GW is pretty strict about this if you're going to use weave serpents you have to use the base since it doesn't have wheels or landing gear, if not my dark eldar boars would be better at hiding.
>Four, final and most serious mistake:
SNARL, BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK AWOOOO
>>
>>46743218
>I'm a faggot Necron player and I'm so hyped for more cheese to go with my cheese
>SO fucking hyped

Okay. Good to know?
>>
>>46743142

But it isn't shimmering, its like not even there. A hit modifier would be better based off the size of the target.
>>
>>46743244
No. Ghostkeel's invisibility is their 2+ cover save in the open.

Their ability to force snap shots is their weird EMP jammer blast device (that working on guns with iron sights is dumb. Should just be vehicles, but that aside)
>>
>>46743308
>working on guns with iron sights is dumb.

The machine spirits were stunned!
>>
>>46743266
>He can't? Because he always ask before playing with anyone

He can, but that's bad form. It makes it very easy for him to build his list specifically to counter his opponent.
>>
>>46743308
The 2+ cover save in the open doesn't make much sense either as that's electronic interference as well.
>>
>>46743345
Yeah, but it works on Orks. Orks don't aim normally.

Restricting it to vehicles means you can more easily justify it messing with some more delicate systems.

Of course, it would also help if certain more mechanical things were actually vehicles like they should be.
>>
>>46742553

Venoms
Avoid Wyches
Avoid using Covens shit unless you are building a whole list around it, or using Scalpel Squadron for deep strike shenanigans, otherwise they're too slow
Transports for everything
Don't mix weapon types in a squad
Always max special weapons
Seriously consider dropping the HQ slot entirely by just taking a 10 point Lhamaean(sp?), with or without a Venom. Use the extra points for actually good units.
Dark Lances are still good, Disintegrators are decent
Venoms (but a Raider is fine too sometimes)

Good:
>Blasterborn, Incubi, Kabalites, anything from the FA slot at all except Hellions, Ravagers, Beastmasters if you spam swarms
Medium
>Succubus, Archon, Mandrakes (situational but not as shit as people say), the bomber
Shit
>Wyches and whatever the fuck elites slot Wyches are called (they're so shit I erased them from my brain), Hellions, and anything I forgot to mention

Someone who doesn't suck ass feel free to correct me
>>
>>46743380
Wrong again, that's explicitly called out on both the Ghostkeel and normal Stealth suits as light-bending optical camo.
>>
GIVE ME AN UPDATE GW GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

CSM IS LITERALLY THE WORST ARMY IN THE GAME TODAY THAT CAN ACTUALLY BE FIXED. GIVE US THE FUCKING LEGIONS, LESS FUCKING TABLES AND SHIT.

REEEE FUCKING GW GET OUT UNTIL YOU FIX CSM.
>>
>>46743467
I'm talking about the electrowarfare suit, the thing that doubles the bonus. The ghostkeel's optic camo is just sealth.
>>
>>46743490
>IVE US THE FUCKING LEGIONS

Play 30k.

>GIVE ME AN UPDATE

You just got one, dont like it? Tough shit.
>>
File: 1441234594323.jpg (18KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1441234594323.jpg
18KB, 400x388px
>>46743490
just run your csm as iron hands with their new gay ass formations and shit...

ive given up, its what im doing. its so easy we dont even need to buy new models.
>>
>>46743349
Agree'd. When me and my friends make lists we agree on some stuff. Fliers? GC/SHW?
>>
>>46743547
THAT WASN'T A FUCKING UPDATE THEY JUST ADDED SPECIAL SHIT TO SOME FACTIONS. FUCK YOU.

THAT'S LIKE THE BLOOD ANGELS GETTING AN UPDATE AND THEN YOU TURN AROUND AND SAY SPESS MEHRINES AS A WHOLE GOT FUCKING UPDATES. GET THE FUCK OUT GW APOLOGISTS.
>>
>>46742710
>>46742583
>>46743389
thanks senpai.
>>
>>46743516
The Electrowarfare suite is the EMP jammer thing that forces snap shots.

The Stealth/Shrouded double field thing is on the drones, which is called the Stealth Field.

So yes, the Ghostkeel's 2+ cover save is just optical camoflogue, hologram fields, and other mundane technobabble that makes them nigh-invisibile, even to guardsmen or whatever.

The Electrowarfare suite is the thing that can jam Iron Sights.

Hence why 2+ cover makes more sense for Invisibility to grant rather forcing snap shots. Not that the Electrowarfare suite makes much sense on many things either.
>>
>>46743557
That's always good to do, but the issue with one person making a list and the other person not building until they know the army is that they can do something mean, like seeing you're bringing a lot of tanks and bringing extra anti-tank to compensate.
>>
>>46743588
The holophon countermeasures are the jammer that forces snap shots, read the codex.
>>
>>46741888
FMC spam has issues scoring, well, as much as any low-model count army does.

You also get rekd by anyone with ignores cover. But, heck, you might roll Invis. Or swap that random shitty CSM prince for Be'lakor. Either is cool. You better be thinking about Summoning or you lose to anyone that actually plays to a mission that you can't table. You also can't really deal with Wraithknights because even Baleswords aren't that good against it - you'll still need 6s to wound (unless you get Iron Arm or Fleshbane Reward) and those are only d3.

The best FMC at the moment anyway is Tzeentch Lord of Change with Impossible Robes for the 3++ invuln, easily raised to 2++ by any number of means, rerolling 1s. Add in the Endless Grimoire to make a mini-Fatey all on his own.

Will it be fun? Sure. You'll either win big or lose big, very little between. Can it compete? Probably not. You get stomped out by the big armies (Tau, Eldar, Space Marines) and can't play missions without spending all your Psychic Dice on Summoning instead of making your FMCs actually useful.
>>
>>46743271
>Calling Necron players faggots when Space Marines and Eldar exist as they currently do

get fucking real
>>
>>46743626
Still doesn't change my point. Normal Stealth suits are just as often described as partially invisible with their normal Stealth & Shrouded.
>>
>>46743587

You're welcome m8

Also a lot of people think Nightshields are overpriced, since if you have for example 2 Raiders and 3 Ravagers that'd be 75 pts in shields alone. But in my experience, your wet paper towel transports will need them. If you're doing a tournament or whatever it might be worth it take them off the Ravagers so they're more points efficient. A bare Ravager with no upgrades is actually a pretty decent deal, but a fully kitted one with 3 DLs and other shit is somewhat overpriced when compared to your other lance options
>>
>>46743218
I hope you model it as a giant necron skeleton
>>
>>46743691
I wasn't arguing against that in the first place, merely pointing out the 2+ cover save in the open makes as much sense as the jammer does. Otherwise optic camo amounts to a 4+ cover save in the open.
>>
>>46743762
I think it would make more sense if you flipped them. Electronic warfare makes things freak out and snapshot. Holophotons add even more camo.
>>
Trying to get input from a variety of sources, so I am looking for army advice. I currently run mechanized IG and I want to start a new army that is the exact opposite of that. I am thinking of doing CQC necrons, but I was curious what my other options could be? Would prefer non-Imperial.
>>
>>46743908
Orks
>>
>>46738380
this is the dumbest shit

not being able to breathe is the least of your problems in space
Do Space Marines also have magic implants that stop your blood from boiling, swelling from ebullism, the lack of outside pressure causing the air you've already inhaled to rupture your lungs or being turned into a giant tumour from UV?
>>
>>46743908
Aspect Host Eldar
>>
>>46743930
Well, one of the people in the picture is a Primarch, so yes.

And all the regular marines in the picture have power armor on, which has been mentioned several times is "void proof" for a limited time.
>>
>>46743930
Ultramarines do, it's called plot armor.
>>
>>46743930
>Do Space Marines also have magic implants that stop your blood from boiling, swelling from ebullism, the lack of outside pressure causing the air you've already inhaled to rupture your lungs or being turned into a giant tumour from UV?
Actually yes, in addition to their UV resistances (Melanchromic Organ), they have the ability to naturally sweat a vacuum resistant film (Mucranoid)

Robute Guilliman obviously just does it because he is a crazy badass, but the marines can fight naked in a vacuum with some success. They ARE called space marines, after all.
>>
>>46743960
How would that defer from an army of infantry in transports?
>>46743916
Tempting, but I dont think I can afford that many boys to run none mechanized. Also, arent orks shit?
>>
File: images (16).jpg (37KB, 350x400px) Image search: [Google]
images (16).jpg
37KB, 350x400px
>>46743214
>Invisibility should really just be ruled as a stupidly high cover save. That's what every other nigh-invisible thing in the game is.
It does now! but it still forces you to snap fire.
>>
>>46743995
>the ability to naturally sweat a vacuum resistant film
that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard
>>
File: orbital_battle.png (3MB, 1536x2174px) Image search: [Google]
orbital_battle.png
3MB, 1536x2174px
>>46743995
>marines can fight naked in a vacuum with some success. They ARE called space marines, after all.

And yet...
>>
>>46744028
>How would that defer from an army of infantry in transports?

Ah, for some reason I read 'mechanized guard' as 'lots and lots of tanks'

Still, it would be somewhat different, as aspect warriors typically don't need transports as much, and are usually smaller in number.

How about Tyranids?
>>
File: 1443757202017.jpg (41KB, 490x633px) Image search: [Google]
1443757202017.jpg
41KB, 490x633px
>>46744037
really anon? that's the dumbest stuff you've heard? oh it gets even more dumb from this point on. 40k operates on 80s level of cool

>>46744031
6th 2+ cover saves was annoying as fuckkkkk
>>
>>46744037
space marines are silly, yo

>>46744045
talking about the hard vacuum rule, yeah? Obviously that kind of thing is only a stop-gap for a proper void-capable suit. Gunfire and even debris could compromise it.

Not something to rely on, but an extra countermeasure in case they need to climb outside a spaceship without their suits in an emergency, or to enter suspended animation while waiting for retrieval.
>>
>>46744073
Tyranids are another option, and I actually own the expansion for them. I plan on starting the new army as an experiment, going straight out of the getting started box. How is the Tyranid option when compared to the Necron one?
>>
>>46743646
>implying Necrons aren't just as bad

No, you get real. Just because Eldar exists doesn't mean armies like Tau and Necrons aren't faglords. By your retarded logic, the presence of Eldar means nobody but Eldar are fags, which is blatantly untrue, since we can all see you're a huge faggot right fucking now.

And you mention marines but not Tau? Let me guess you're the dipshit who thinks Tau are less faggoty than marines. Taufag spotted. No wonder you think Necrons are weak. The faggot even spams Wraith and is going to include a Knight and you think he's not a faggot? Get fucking good, you dumb bitch.
>>
>>46744149
It's Tyranids, so not too great.

You might be better off just going with Necrons. They can footslog fairly well and aren't slouches in CC, but can put out firepower when they need to.
>>
>>46744037
>space marines have acid spit and can eat people to learn their knowledge
not kidding
>>
>>46744191
I am not trying to argue against nids (and I would love to run Txoicrines and other big bugs) its just that I am not made of money and want to explore my options before I go whole hog into a new army. Nids would let me run genestealer cults as well right?
>>
>>46744159
The maddest person I've ever met.

Go cry on BoLS
>>
>>46744202
and a third lung that uses a butthole to allow the space marine to breathe underwater, in toxic gasses, high altitudes, or outright vacuum
>>
>>46744202
For real. No need for Interrogation. I once had a Space Shark Librarian in a Deathwatch campaign get called up to interrogate a captured cultist. Obviously the DM somehow expected me to PSYCHICALLY interrogate him. Nope, just scalp the fucker with a force axe and start eating his brains.

After the initial freakout, I went and pointed out the specific lore for that, and we got our information(Although I gained a corruption point, because I gained some corrupting knowledge from the cultist).
>>
File: 1460880179489.jpg (72KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
1460880179489.jpg
72KB, 400x398px
>love the emperor
>demon chicks are my fetish

MUST STAY STRONG
>>
File: Carcharodons_by_rumbles.jpg (465KB, 550x778px) Image search: [Google]
Carcharodons_by_rumbles.jpg
465KB, 550x778px
>>46744260
Forgot pic related. Most metal fucking chapter in the world.
>>
>>46744272
Don't do it, those demon chicks are more likely to make you the subject of a hellraiser film than do something sexual. And they have dicks.
>>
>>46744303
>And they have dicks.
There's nothing wrong with that unless you're a pussy
>>
>>46744260
>mfw morons still give vague instructions to a Carcharodon and expect bad things not to happen

It's like they learned nothing from Badab. If you don't want things to die, bleed, or blow up, you BETTER SAY SO UP FRONT.
>>
>>46744260
>>46744295
Remember you don't actually have to eat his brain specifically. Flesh and blood work just as well, and are part of why so many marines have blood-drinking and flesh-eating rituals in their chapters.
>>
>>46744242

Only one crying is you, trolling in a saging general because you're bad at playing Necrons.

>guaranteed response because you're a fucking loser
>>
>>46744303
>And they have dicks.

MUST STAY STRONG.
>>
>>46744326
Or an asshole.
>>
>that one guy in your group that has been playing the same list for 2 years straight
>>
>>46744352
Is it good?
>>
>>46744360
eh
he wins some and he loses some
he just doesn't like change
>>
>>46744337
Eh, I always just go for the brains anway, at least for some small semblance of vague realism. Plus he was still alive for a short time. So the carcharadon knew when to stop eating, since the cultist would just stop screaming in horror.

It really doesn't help either that the squad's librarian acted like he was a mute. Nobody in the squad knew he could speak, as he only did the whole, "Grunt, gesture, snarl angrilly, tap his shoulderpad to warn of danger... And write in very elegant cursive."

In my own campaigns I usually say that the person needs to be currently alive in order for the Neuroglottis to work at its fullest. I mean you're literally linking your own brain with theirs by having it in your mouth.
>>
>>46744379
So he's Nurglite?
>>
I'm a different anon asking for Dark Eldar building advice. They're going to be my 3rd army, 1st was Grey Knights, then Tau(They're almost done. I just need to buy a hammerhead). I know about venomspam and raider squads, but what should I start with as my first purchase(s). Or should I wait for a "Start Collecting Dark Eldar"?

Also, what are some general tactics that give the Dark Eldar that "Fast and furious" playstyle?
>>
>>46744435
I see it more akin to tasting memories, so they can start eating a killed imperial sentry to see what killed him.

Giving the players more options for information gathering is always nice.
>>
>>46742194
>Lumping comrade Stalin with fascist cyka Hitler

For shame
>>
>>46744482
That's why I mention "At it's fullest". Ideally you would want to scoop out the hippocampus while it's still fresh, since you'd get 1-1, the memory as it is. If you eat someone whose been dead for more than a day, the most you would probably get is vauge and brief flashes. Say the sentry was killed by an eldar guardian, you would see a few brief flashes of something slender.
>>
Quick rules question, /tg/. When a Furioso with a Frag Cannon fires overwatch, does it do 1d3 or 2d3 Wall of Death hits?
>>
>>46744532
I think it would be 1d3, unless wall of death says something about templates w/ multiple shots.
>>
Is there any real benefit to running specialized chaos units with the amount of models being the same as their sacred number?

Like a unit of Zerks with 8 models, or Thousand Sons with 9.
>>
>>46744532
1 weapon so 1d3
>>
>>46744516
oh, yeah, we're on the same page here

It's fun reminding players that space marines are kinda messed up.
>>
>>46744561
>>46744553
Alright. We had a local player flip his shit earlier because I wouldn't let him take 2d3 hits, despite it being an assault 2 weapon, since "When you fire a bolter, you get two shots, why am I being gimped for it being a template weapon?"

We eventually pacified him when the store owner agreed to '1d3+1', but he was salty for the rest of the game, so I wanted some amount of vindication for daring to call him out.

Also, unrelated, anyone know some good Iron Hands successors? Now that they have more going on than 'Tank the tanky tank' and 'Smashfucker', I'm considering doing an Infantry-based IH list.
>>
>>46744568
Yeah. Just remember, though, that even space marines don't fully understand how the "Eat brains" thing works, and most of them find it extremely distasteful (unless they're Blood Angels). That's not to say they won't do it, but it's definitely not going to be their first choice. It also "works" differently for different Marines and Successors, and can work in a few minutes to a few hours, and it's not exactly a pleasant experience.
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 300x440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 300x440px
>>46744600
Steel Confessors.

The literal AdMech chapter with a Forgeworld as a homeworld.
>>
>>46744600
There's the Steel Confessors, but they're heavily Ad-Mech related, so that might not work best for a non-vehicle heavy list.

You could always homebrew your own. Iron Hands infantry-focused sounds like a neat idea.
>>
>>46744600
>why am I being gimped for it being a template weapon?"

Because the entire point of Template weapons is to remove the randomness of Shooting in exchange for as many guaranteed hits from a Template Weapon as there are models under the template! Both have strategic advantages and work better in different circumstances!

Source: Flamer-spammer. I am jokingly not allowed to play Urban games at my store lol.
>>
>>46744627
>>46744631
HIVE MIND!
>>
>>46744627
Eeeeh, if I wanted to do AdMech, I'd just do AdMech. I'm in Marines for the Marines, not the tanks.
>>46744631
Yeah, having a 5+ FnP free on all your dudes seems like a pretty good deal for Marines. I'm still going to mechanize, no question, but it's going to be about the guys inside for the most part - the cars are just there to drive them to the fight.
>>
>>46744660
...it's just the only Iron Hands successors I actually know anything about.

The only other one that springs to mind is the Sons of Medusa, or is it the Gorgon? Either way, I only know their name.
>>
>>46744613
> Blood angels
To be fair, they don't really have a choice in the matter at all. They actually have an urge to consume flesh and blood, and if they resist it for too long, then they go temporarily insane.

And if they keep failing to drink blood or eat any flesh, they go permanently insane and just get thrown into the Death Company.
>>
>>46744676
It's 5+ FnP now? That's...amazing. That makes them better than Red Scorpions in every way.

There's a lot of stuff you could do with that without focusing on vehicles. Even taking Jump packs on stuff or Assault Centurions might be rather strong with full FnP backing it up.
>>
>>46744719
>It's 5+ FnP now? That's...amazing
Only if you're doing their Decurion-equivalent, which has a Core of either the tank formation, the previously Ravenwing mechanized infantry formation, or the battle demi-company.
>>
>>46744676
Eh mate, they're not tank-focused, though they're still the AdMech chapter, and they still hate flesh.

Actually, they hate Weakness in general, flesh being one of those things.

I just love them because I also love AdMech, so it'd be extra fluffy if you ran them with AdMech allies or vice versa.
>>
>>46744770
Well, that isn't too restrictive. A Battle demi-company can easily just be 3 tactical squads, some bikes, and some centurions. Still much better than Red Scorpions tactics.
>>
>>46744772
I'm specifically trying to NOT run them with AdMech, because I've got my AdMech doing something else and it wouldn't work with my fluff for them, hence looking for anything else. I was half-considering a Librarian-focused chapter, who tries to bring their efficiency and calm into dealing with Daemonic threats and the like.
>>
>>46744295
>>46744260
>Carcharodons
my favorite chapter, always wanted to do an army of them

doing ultramarines right now though
>>
File: Mark_VII_Brother_Initiate.jpg (36KB, 400x585px) Image search: [Google]
Mark_VII_Brother_Initiate.jpg
36KB, 400x585px
>>46744810
DID SOMEONE SAY DAEMONS? I CAN FIGHT DAEMONS!
>>
>>46744817

That's funny because I started with Ultramarines and am now doing Carcharodons.

I'd do Minotaurs and Star Phantoms too if I had the time.
>>
File: 20160413_183407.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160413_183407.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>46744260
>>46744855
Oh shit what up my shark brothers
>>
>>46744799
Let's see here:
> Everything must be Iron Hands, obviously

Command Benefits:
> If this is your Primary Detachment, your Warlord has two Warlord Traits, one of which must be Tactical or Strategic
> +1 to FnP rolls while within 12" of an Independent Character from the same detachment
> Vehicles have Power of the Machine Spirit while within 12" of or carrying an Iron Hands IC

Command options:0-3
> Strike Force Command: Termie Captain, Captain, Chaplain, Venerable Dreadnought.
> Reclusiam Command Squad
> Librarius Conclave

Core: 1-2

> Stormlance Battle Demi-Company
> Armoured Task Force
> Battle Demi-Company

Auxiliary: 1+

> 1st Company Task Force
> 10th Company Task Force
> Storm Wing
> Anti-Air Defense Force
> Suppression Force
> Centurion Siegebreaker Cohort
> Land Raider Spearhead
> Strike Force Ultra (!!!)
> Skyhammer Orbital Strike Force
> Skyhammer Annihilation Force (!!!!!!)
> Raptor Wing
> Honoured Ancients: 1 unit of Dreadnoughts, Ironclad Dreadnoughts, Venerable Dreadnoughts, or Contemptor Dreadnoughts
> Iron Guardians: 1 Tactical Squad + 1 unit of Dreadnoughts, Ironclad Dreadnoughts, Venerable Dreadnoughts, or Contemptor Dreadnoughts
>>
>>46744918
Also:
> Scions of the Forge
For each HQ choice in an Iron Hands Detachment other than Techmarines, you may include up to three Techmarines
>>
>>46744895
>>46744817
Sadly enough, only in the RPGs. I'm in the process of repainting my army as Raptors, and getting Ancient Valentine repainted as well.
>>
>>46744918
>>46744936
Well, this is really tempting me to ditch my current plans for a Marine force in exchange for Iron Hands.
>>
File: 1414927116514.jpg (204KB, 1037x691px) Image search: [Google]
1414927116514.jpg
204KB, 1037x691px
>>46744895
fucking cool

Is forge world ever going to make the transfer sheet again?
>>
>>46744971
Angels of Death is definitely a Good Book. I'm currently working on an Imperial Fist CAD with 3 Devastator squads, 3 Centurion Devastator squads, and an Assault Centurion squad, now that Centurion Devs are Elites and Assaults are Fast Attack.
>>
New options
>>46745003
>>
>>46744997
Probably not, but i just printed my own. Worth every moment of agony dealing with transfer sheets.
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 503x608px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 503x608px
>>46744832
>>46744810
Hey mate, just go with the Exorcists then, their Chapter Tactics literally let them choose which Chapter's Tactics that use for the match.
>>
Alright, I'm up against a team of Vraks Renegades: Unending Host Formation (Chaos Renegades) and Tzeentch Daemonhost on Tuesday. I've got an Eldar Aspect Host partner with Illic, Rangers, Dark Reapers, and a Fire Prism or two.

This is what I've got:

Built

Grukk Face-Rippa x 1
Boyz (Shoota) x 9
Boyz (Big Shoota) x 1
Boyz (Slugga) x 22
Nobz (Power Klaw) x 5
Nobz (Big Choppa) x 3
Big Mek (Shokk Attack Gun) x 1
Gretchin x 10
Runtherd x 1
Lootas x 8
Mek (Kustom Mega Blasta) x 2
Trukk x 1
Deffkopta x 2
Deff Dread x 1
Mek Gun (Traktor Kannon) x 1

Unbuilt

Painboy x 2
Warboss x 1
Nobz x 12
Trukk x 2*
Mek Gun x 2
Lootas/Burnas x 4
Battle Wagon (with upgrade kit) x 1
Boyz x 22
Killa Kans x 3
Deff Dread x 1
Looted Wagon x 1
Mek x 2
Meganobz x 3

* If I build the Looted Wagon I'll pretty much have to sacrifice a Trukk.

I know both of my enemies will take at least one flying unit each. I suspect the Renegades player will lean heavily on artillery.

What should I build before Tuesday?
Thread posts: 395
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.