[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of this quest and party idea? two empires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1460737268385.jpg (381KB, 717x897px) Image search: [Google]
1460737268385.jpg
381KB, 717x897px
What do you think of this quest and party idea?

two empires are at war, a secret diplomatic party is sent across the border for negotiations. The unit is suspiciously under-manned, and the ambassador sent is the King's youngest and least-favorite kid.

There is:
>the prince (or princess, undecided)
>mission captain (older, rough woman)
>three knights (one silent-type, one jovial bro type, one older veteran)
>a translator (beautiful woman)
>a scout/wilderness guide (local teenage girl)
>the combined chef/mechanic/herbalist (bearded bear of a good man)

The plot twists:
>The King assumes the mission will fail and wants to use the inevitable death of his kid as an excuse for all-out war
>the empire that the main cast is from is "the bad side"
>each party member specifically volunteered for this mission for personal reasons
>it turns out those reasons all involve escape/deserting/running away
>not a single one of them was planning to fulfill the mission or return to their empire
>>
>>46731154
Some worldbuilding to do, but mostly I want it to be about the party members fighting, bonding, and deciding to become a new rogue "family" that leaves both empires together to flee the war. IDK it should end with them all peacefully living on a farm together, far away.
>>
>>46731154
I really like it. Don't have a lot to say about it, it's perfect IMO.
>>
>>46731234
wow, thanks
question- do you think it'd be better in a more traditional empire setting, or a more fantasy-like world?
>>
>>46731276
Fantasy world iscool, but in reality you can apply this to whatever setting you want.
>>
>>46731154

Why would the opposing party murder the prince as it is implied in your scenario? That serves no purpose at all and just gives the enemy a casus belli. It's retarded and nobody with a hint of brain would do that. If they really wanted the "king's least favourite son" dead for some reason, they'd send a group of rangers to murder him inside the borders of his empire when he's returning, as his retinue is laughably small.
>>
>>46732312
pretty valid question
I'd thought that maybe this "diplomatic peace mission" was organized by the King without discussing it with the enemy- ie the enemy side has no idea this troupe is coming, and could likely kill them on accident or because they're suspicious.
>>
>>46732312
good point, it's too obviously a suicide mission
>>
>>46732312
Then why not just have the king murder his own son? Have the party ambushed by phony outlaws/bandits (payed for by the kings vizier or something) and blame it on the opposing kingdom.

Wars have certainly been started on shakier accusations
>>
>>46732694
perfect idea... especially if it could happen within the enemy's borders
>>
>>46731154
>having a plot
>not a sandbox like RPGs were developed for
So fucking sick of you swine.
>>
>>46731342

Fantasy would be cool- but in dealing with the topic of warring nations, having distinct styles for either side would work well. For example a nation that has specialized in early firearms vs a kingdom that relies on magic
>>
>>46732749
>not asking your party what they would prefer to play
>not making player agency key in plot-driven campaigns

It's like you're too autistic to talk to your group about what you want to play
>>
>>46732811
What they want to play is adventurers who make the story instead of sitting through your crappy predetermined novel.
>>
>>46731154

Remember: War is always a grey area. Your party may want to switch sides but give them reasons to suspect both Kingdoms are working for/against the party
>>
>>46732844
Sure, but having a set-up isn't the same as pushing players through a novel.
In OPs set-up there's a lot of room for player agency: they could join either side of the conflict, support various claimants to the throne(s), become outlaws, try to clear their names for the murder of the prince, etc.

Most of the players I've had aren't equipped to being told to just "go out there" and "adventure"
>>
>>46733392
>Most of the players I've had aren't equipped to being told to just "go out there" and "adventure"
This fampai. A lot of people talk up agency until they have it and then flounder because they don't know what to do. That is by no means all people who play RPGs, but to think everyone who plays can handle that is just as foolhardy as to say none of them can.
>>
>>46731154
I really like it.
It actually sounds like it would make a pretty great novel.
Only problem I see is already pointed out >>46732312 and fixed >>46732694. so I don't have much by way of feedback.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.