[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone played a setting in the deus ex universe, or one inspired

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Deus_ex_1600_1440x1080.jpg (137KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Deus_ex_1600_1440x1080.jpg
137KB, 1440x1080px
Has anyone played a setting in the deus ex universe, or one inspired by it?

Are there any good and simple systems for deus ex type play?
>>
>>46720339
Cyberpunk 2020 would probably be a good place to start.
>>
>>46720339
You mean cyberpunk?

No, no one has ever played a cyberpunk game ever.
>>
>>46720455
classic cyberpunk usually has different themes and certainly augmentation is handled differently
>>
>>46720481
>it has slight differences, so it's totally different!

I bet you're one of those people who defend genre-core music sub genres as well.
>>
>>46720608
man you guys are anal today

deus ex had far less megacorporations than standard cyberpunk, there was a lot of state-level stuff going on and conspiracies much bigger than average cyberpunk.

cyberpunk 2020 definitely is similar, so much so I wondered if it was the basis for DE's combat system. But it would be interesting to see a strictly videogame type adaptation
>>
>>46720689
I know exactly what you're looking for, I was doing the same thing a couple of years back. I wrote up a system myself for it, if I can find it I will post it.
>>
>>46720689
>no it has slight minor differences so it's totally different!

And you're calling others anal?
>>
>>46720825
yeah, I am. The question is whether you've played in a Deus ex style setting, not retarded genre fanboyism
>>
>>46720864
And the answer is yes, people have played cyberpunk settings. Which are Deus Ex like because it's just fucking cyberpunk whether you like it or not.
>>
>>46720910
(^:

do the world a favor, jump off a bridge
>>
>>46720948
>thinks Deus Ex isn't cyberpunk because of minor unimportant points
>tells others to jump off a bridge

K
>>
>>46720455
>>46720481

Cyberpunk is defined by a lot of the same elements that are heavily featured in Deus Ex, but these don't define Deus Ex per se.

The original Deus Ex is less about the tech and more about common conspiracy theories at the time it was made being true. Mysterious black helicopters, chemtrails, programmable and designed plagues, cryptids, aliens, Illuminati, Templar orders, Bildeberg group stuff, FEMA deathcamps, gratuitously engineered status quo by the collective powers that be--you get the picture.

If it's missing that stuff it's not remotely Deus Ex, it's just a generic cyberpunk setting.

>>46720948
If you took this guy's bait any faster you'd have broken the sound barrier.
>>
>>46721426
>If it's missing that stuff it's not remotely Deus Ex, it's just a generic cyberpunk setting.
Addendum being, take any game that can run a cyberpunk setting and have the setting feature those conspiracy elements.
>>
>>46721426
Switch out FEMA and the State Department and you have your Megacorps. Hell you even have private companies blackmailing the POTUS in the opening scene.

The Triads are your street gangs being unknowingly controlled by a corperate interest.

And the biggest thing AIs, are they human? Are they morale? Should they be allowed? That is -the- Cyberpunk trope.

Each of the new world groups are little more than competing interests, it is cyberpunk to the bone, only with a slightly earlier timeline.

I love the game.
>>
>>46721924
Megacorps as defined by common cyberpunk themes basically are strictly for-profit governments.
But in DE's case, it's actually the government (Which is at least nominally for governing and not profit) and corporations don't really feature at all.
>>
>>46722449
Go play the game and focus on the plot. The company spreading the virus, that has caused part of society to break down, has had the cure all along they just don't release it, instead they treat it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.