[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just had my first DMing session today. How was your first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: download (8).jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
7KB, 259x194px
Just had my first DMing session today. How was your first DMing session?
>>
>>46701300
It's happening in two weeks. How was yours?
>>
>>46701359
Good. The players had to rid a small cave of bats. It was a small sidequest that ended up being the whole session. They chose to talk to the bats instead of fighting them, and found out that the bats were there forcing people to turn back and not venture deeper into the cave to find out what the man was doing. The man wanted the bats gone because they fulfilled their purpose.
>>
>>46701300
>How was your first DMing session?
It involved a werecat getting impaled on a halberd, a psychic sitting in the rafters avoiding the bar fight, and a shapeshifter taking a bag full of alchemist fire bottles and dropping them onto a cave entrance, sealing it shut.

Those were all party members.
>>
>>46701300
A bottle of jack Daniel each and a whole lot of fire.
needless to say tabletop rpgs have been loved ever since.
but I have been stuck as the forever gm ever since as well.
>>
>>46701300
>group has been playing an EotE campaign for a few months
>GM asks me over steam if I want to GM the next game
>sure, why not?
>spend a week planning out a commando campaign, end up just running the Whisper Base module with a few changes to give myself another week
>group is rolling in with 500 exp characters, roflstomp everything in the way, but looking forward to the next week
>schedule conflicts come up, training, etc, ends up being over a month until the next session
>find out ahead of time that that's going to be one guy's last week before he moves
>well shit...all right bitches, we're skipping to the last mission
>give everyone Mandalorian armor, jet packs, whatever guns they want,
>let em wreck havoc on an Imperial base for an hour before they capture the Moff, steal a shuttle, and kek madly as they fly off just before the place blows up

All told, not too bad, I'd say.
>>
File: 1440561795936.jpg (2MB, 1000x1644px) Image search: [Google]
1440561795936.jpg
2MB, 1000x1644px
>>46701300
Making things up on the spot can lead to some interesting ideas, but sticking to them is harder, as well as forming a narrative through them.
>>
Terrible
I had 9 players and most of them were drunk
>>
>>46701300
nobody knew combat rules, nobody knew casting rules. just introducing npc's and setting.

could have been worse.
>>
First time I ever gm'd I ran the CoC haunting session.

The players enjoyed it and all, but looking back on it in hindsight I see that maybe I should've simplified the investigators personal plot threads, and vetoed the Buddhist Canadian maple syrup smuggler.
>>
>>46704617
Source please
>>
>>46705686
>Buddhist Canadian maple syrup smuggler
Say what?
>>
My friends at uni want to try out pathfinder. I'm really fucking nervous since I'm the only one who has played it before, so I'll be DMing and I'm a bit of a sperg so public speaking terrifies me.

I was thinking of making half a dozen level 5 characters, letting the players choose which ones they want, and then having a climactic fight with a broken skull ripper because mechanical scorpions are cool.
>>
>>46705717
His name was Craig, he was a Buddhist and a Canadian, and he smuggled maple syrup in alcohol looking bottles into prohibition-era America as a distraction tactic for the real gangsters.
And I allowed this in what was to be a semi-serious game.
>>
>>46701300
It was like 2 months ago. Went really well, been going regularly and getting better at it. I think it also helps that I have a group that is experienced with improv and did work on an abridged series.

Though I'm starting to worry cause now more of our friends are getting interested and pitching some unorthodox characters to me, such as:
-8 year old Genasi, CN. Speaks extremely broken english
-What is effectively a crack-addicted drow.
-asexual princess monk
>>
>>46705772
Lol, so random! X---D
>>
File: 1458452601011.png (260KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
1458452601011.png
260KB, 500x491px
>>46705807
Hey we were young pre-teens, ofcourse it seemed hilarious
>>
>>46705693
Civilization V with the Brave New World expansion pack.
>>
I played a session of vtm. Old world lord, new world rules. Nobody in the group had played the game and since I was reading 2 source books at once trying to learn the basic rules and convert them I needed my friend who was playing to help me out and get everybody's chracter created.

Other than that the game was fine. Pretty sure most of the players enjoyed themselves but I had to rush to the climax and cut the session in half to accomodate a player who left early(the one who helped me).

Since then I've started a couple of ther campaigns in DnD 5th and Star Wars saga edition that went a few sessions and ended abruptly since I was doing them on uni breaks. Still though, the players who played those campaigns really enjoyed them.
>>
>>46701300
An absolute chaos but almost everybody had a good time
>>
Involved a player bringing an actual claymore and splitting a beer can in half. The claymore got stuck in the table. Another player wore a cape for... "authenticity."

In game, a PC suplexed an old lady for directions, and another one got killed by a kobold.

That was like 10 years ago.
>>
It started rocky but I remember it being fun. We were all pretty new so I just did what I usually did. Tell stories. I just asked a bunch of other people where they wanted the story to go.
>>
>>46701300

It started hard because everybody (including me) was unfamiliar with the system, we were running GURPS because I tought it was a good idea to have a system which we could ran everything.

After two sessions we having a blast, I started a Infinite worlds were the PCs were young agents to the Infinite gone rogue after incriminated by the same guy they were later start work for when rogue.

The first session was we trying to decipher all those rules, after some time I start bending the rules when necessary and not giving a shit for hex combat.

Now I'm GMing a reign of steel campaign.
>>
>>46701300
I ran WFRP2e for three players, nobody could get past a locked door and they had been enlisted by the Altdorf watch to bring in to elusive "Dirty Dan" who was doing bad stuff.

I was so new that when the elf thief failed to pick the lock on a door I just kept saying "roll it again" on autopilot until they managed.
>>
Masterful but unfortunately my players where a bunch of ignorant murderhobos with little to no imagination and they ruined everything and I did everything right.

So I guess it was like anyone else here.
>>
It was pretty good, Squidward

I tried my luck at single-player prologues into a main campaign. Went great, fun to see what characters/players do when isolated. The first "together" one was harder to estimate where the group would go, naturally.
>>
>>46701300
I was using the 5e playtest. Turtlefolk with southern accents got run out of their swamp home by lizards. Players had no idea what they were doing and neither did I. Lots of complaining but everyone walked away with good memories.
>>
>>46710484
That sounds really cool. And it would probably force some actual RP from the do-nothings. Unfortunately my group is too big and busy for that to work.

What were the actual logistics of those sessions?
>>
File: 1401410276499.jpg (140KB, 500x454px) Image search: [Google]
1401410276499.jpg
140KB, 500x454px
It was pretty great, despite being a homebrew setting, with seven players split into two groups by my decision because it was totally improvised and was my first time playing a ttrpg at all.

Everyone has been playing together each week for around 10 months now with a lot of good moments, so I think I'm either mad lucky or I got gud REALLY quickly.
>>
File: 142356896.png (697KB, 639x777px) Image search: [Google]
142356896.png
697KB, 639x777px
>>46701300
After like three weeks of prep for a short 3-session-turned-4 campaign, first night was a bit of character introduction and some weird mix between an old imperial ship battle with a sort of WWII pillbox cannon bunker floating on the water. I knew my players well enough that I was able to give them what they wanted without making the carrot too obvious. I'll be doing my 2nd campaign after we finish this dungeon up, gonna be a lot bigger so I'm doing a lot more prep.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.