[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/, Anyone here have some awesome, unique ideas for fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Sup /tg/,

Anyone here have some awesome, unique ideas for fantasy races? I'm tired of plain old Elf, Dwarf, Halfling. I know people are always trying to innovate on these options and I'm curious what ideas you all have come up with, for homebrew games or your own settings, etc.
>>
>>46691521
I'm tired of constant shitty attempts to make things different, usually by way of making the races either stupid or a shallow stereotype of a historical society.
>>
>>46691545
Totally agreed. I was hoping someone might have come up with some legitimately unique races that aren't just a caricature of a historical society or NotElves.
>>
>>46691521
I just do humans and nothing else. I've never found non-human species to be necessary.
>>
>>46691686
Perhaps not necessary, but I think they're a ton of fun. I really like the aesthetic of non-human races in high fantasy. Now, in dark/low fantasy, I think human only is a pretty solid way to go.

All that aside, that's not what the thread is about. Thanks for your contribution either way, though.
>>
>>46691521
An anorexic looking race of mountaintop dwellers who's first contact with the others was unfortunately a group of humans and dwaves meeting a cannibal tribe.

No ears, slit noses, and small bumps around the forehead are common. They are rather active but they are constantly misjudged as being lazy as sloths. They are usually nomadic and their laws classic eye for an eye.

Now all I need is a name.
>>
>>46691521
Sentient quasi-colllective plant folk who do not, and possibly cannot, understand the needs and feelings of more fleshy races aside from their biological instincts. Tribal, intelligent, somewhat violent, and very group centric.
>>
>>46691800
Do their physical features reflect evolution based on the mountaintop climate?

Why are they misjudge as being lazy when they're actually active?

Naming is one of the most challenging things ever in writing. Usually I use a lot of translation from real world languages. Sometimes I'll say, okay, this race has French-inspired names and go from there.

>>46691836
That seems awesome. I tend to like plant-folk and the indifference to human emotions is very eldritch-horror-y.
>>
>>46691757
I've seen some interesting stuff done with neanderthals and other semi-modern humans.
I'm also a fan of using Ancient Greek/Roman species, like satyrs/harpies/minotaurs (obviously the near-furry nature of these creatures make toy have to be careful). Bit anything more exotic than that, like bug people or lesser servitor races from the Cthulhu Mythos just seem or of place.
Also can't say I'm overly fond of lizardmen as anything other than an enemy species.
>>
>>46691932
Hmm we can justify the anorexic look and mountain dwelling with slow metabolisms and limited food. High activity because they have to search for food as well as create farms if they so choose. (I imagine it would be tough on a mountain)

Also, if they look like Ethiopians (sorry, those commercial's man) and live in the mountains, wouldn't they be easy to judge as lazy?
>>
>>46691521
>Anyone here have some awesome, unique ideas for fantasy races?
1-Gurps space
2-Generate an random living being
3-Go back to 1 until you hit some threeshold
>>
Keep everything but the bodies.

Elves -> giant spiders
Dwarves ->Moles
Hobbits ->rabbits or similar
Orcs ->Pigs/wolves
Goblins -> Bats

Et cetera.
>>
I'm going to some form of hell for this.

In honor of our models and starlets with eating disorders. The mountain dwellers shall be hence forth known as The Bulim.
>>
Should we move this to gdg?
>>
File: florans.gif (40KB, 225x315px) Image search: [Google]
florans.gif
40KB, 225x315px
>>46691836
Thank you for describing the Florans from starbound.
>>
>>46691521
>I'm tired of plain old Elf, Dwarf, Halfling etc, give me some autism as i'm so stupid i can't homebrew

why don't you try EBF you stupid lazy cunt
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.