[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suddenly, a wizard appears and transports you to a magical fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 15

File: 1347218663964 (1).jpg (40KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
1347218663964 (1).jpg
40KB, 540x360px
Suddenly, a wizard appears and transports you to a magical fantasy world. You carry only what you would carry with you on a normal day out of the house, and you are completely unprepared for the fact.

You appear in a rural, human-owned area, with no clue where you are. Strangely the locals seems to be speaking English. There does not seem to be any way to return to earth. How will you go about your existence in this strange new world?

What will you do to survive, what skills do you have which can be useful to either make a living or simply survive out in the world? What items do you have that might make a difference for you. Will you take up a profession, settle down, or travel the world?
>>
>>46652518
>Strangely the locals seems to be speaking English
But I can't speak English.
>>
>>46652518
Depends how high or low fantasy and world setting and so on.
However, my first order of bussiness would be to aquire a qt elf waifu regardless
>>
Well that depends, is this world roughly analogous to ours during the mideaval period? And period accurate? Because if it is then likely at least half a foot taller than just about everyone, since back in the day the average hight was a lot shorter than it is now, and even by modern standards im pretty tall. Sadly not nobility, and too old to become a squire even if I was. Honestly I would probably end up as some lords man at arms. In a slightly more high adventure setting I guess I would start adventuring as a fighter or a barbarian
>>
>>46652518
Two things

I try to find out if magic can be learned.
I try to find out the level of knowledge and education of your average human commoner. If they're all illiterates with < a high school education then my chances of getting wizard schooling go up that much more.

Alternatively I'd like to be a gish class of any kind but since I'm just starting later in life I may have to just devote time to pure magic endeavors.
>>
>>46652518
Chances are I'd die rather quickly because of foreign germs my body hasn't evolved around, or the general medieval shitty standards of hygiene and medicine. If the mere fact of me being teleported by witchcraft from a strange world doesn't get my life into danger, my electronics-dependent skills would probably decimate my chances at properly integrating into society. I could try to market what's common knowledge in our world as groundbreaking discoveries in medieval times, but if it's the sort of place that gets people branded as witches for using herbs properly or I accidentally answer a problem with science that "should" only have a religious answer, it might be worthwhile to shut up and avoid suspicion instead.

All of this assuming it's not a world in which anything could fly because magic (in which case I don't really have a good point of reference for limits), what happened to me is not a common occurrence, and there's neither fellow wizard victims to talk to nor the wizard himself.
>>
I'll be the first to admit it but my body is not fit for being a man at arms. I'd probably get the attention of mages with the cell phone and sell my class rings ((currently in)college+high school) for the first month's food. My laptop charger has a solar panel on the back since I went through a Eco-friendly phase a little while ago. Hopefully I can sell enough information to survive long enough to put my now-useless programming degree to use by trying to understand magic as if it was a universal programming language
>>
>>46652891
This is an excellent point, I had failed to consider the ramifications of desease and the lower hygiene standard. Of course as an educated individual I would do all I could to stay healthy, but your right, no matter how careful I am to try and maintain a good standard of health theres a decent chance I catch something. However general health is a factor in fighting off disease, and whIle Iay not be used to the desease of this world, as a healthy adult who has had a good diet up to this point, I could possibly be healthy enough initially to fight off the sickness. However if something got ro me after ID been there a while and the diet was starting to get to me, that could be a different story.
>>
>>46652518
I go be a bard. Because I have been studying music for the last several years of my life.

If this is like most tabletop fantasy worlds, magic will just fall into my lap because of my music skills. If not, whatever, because being educated and knowing music still puts me higher up than the bottom of the ladder.
>>
>>46652894
Admittedly I might not have the greatest odds of becoming a man at arms either. True im larger, but I know nothing about mideaval combat. Im being optomistic and hoping the lord would be like, fuck your huge just stand there and look good well teach you how to swing a sword latter. A slightly more bleak view is stuck doing heavy labor, or of course dead in a ditch.
>>
>>46652518
All of use I wpupd have on me is my Labtop bag and a knife.

The only skills I have that would help in this situation would be years of fishing experience.

So either take up the profession of a fisherman or my curiosity would get the best of me and wpuld travel this new world.
>>
I probably starve to death after trying to learn magic instead of arranging to share-crop. Though if I get to throw a fireball it might be worth it.
>>
>>46652518

If OP pic is related, it seems all talk of skills and classes is irrelevant, as I'm about to be straight-up murdered by Gregor Clegane.
>>
>>46652518
I could put my engineering studies in some good use. I know how to hunt and live in the wild, too, so a life of a poacher could also be possible. Of course, if there was magic in existence, I would go and try to study that and impress some wizards with mathematics and chemistry.
>>
>steal pigs
>make nigger food from it and sell it to noblemen
>when noblemen get heartattack steal armor and horse
>become kngiht
>>
>>46652518
I'll just take up an apprenticeship with the local doctor and use my absolute bare-minimum of medical knowledge (AKA sterilization and compression) to become a miracle doctor who can fix damn near everything.
>>
>>46652708
Do you have citation for that? I've heard that often, however, all of the plate mail I've seen in museums tends to hover at about 6'. With a few notable exceptions; one set belonged to a fellow called 'The Bear' and was over seven feet tall and three feet wide. Perhaps it was a nutrition thing, and only the nobility were able to grow to "normal" height?
>>
>>46652518
First order of business is to make gunpowder.

Second make a musket.

Third is to give technology so the locals can use water power to grind their wheat. With that they can spend less time grinding wheat and more growing more wheat.
>>
>>46653645
Admittedly a large part of it was nutritional, and noblemen tended to be bigger than the peasantry because of that. Another factor was how early they started hard physical labor. We now know that excessive strain placed on your bones before a certain point in development can stunt your growth (this is why generally you are discouraged from heavy weight lifting before your sixteen). They didn't know this, so peasant kids did hard labor, and squires started training in mail and plate and doing heavy excerxise quite early. Those are environmental factors, but even without those there is reason to believe there would be a discrepancy. Despite the last few generations living fairly analogous lifestyles and having adequate nutrition the average hight in the United states and in many other countries is rising. Why? Im not 100 sure. Im afraid I dont have any references on me at the moment. I'll go out and look, but im just reciting from memory things I learned from school and museams. My memory, or those sources, could be faulty, but as far as I know its acurate. One thing I know for a fact which supports this is that castles were built for shorter people. Ive been to a lot of historic castles in scotland that are hundreds of years old and had to duck my way through every single doorway, and recreations of period acurate furniture were very small. I remember seeing this four poster bed that looked like it wouldn't fit my neice.
>>
>>46652518
>You carry only what you would carry with you on a normal day out of the house
JOKE'S ON YOU, I NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT MY HALBERD

commuting to work is the fucking worst
>>
>>46652684
You're speaking english right now, anon-kun
>>
>>46653907
Neat, could it have been different in specific areas? Most of those armament museums I mentioned were based in Germany and areas with large Norse populations. Maybe they just tended to be bigger than their Celtic counterparts.
>>
>>46653907
So a 6' 2" guy would be considered extremely tall? I guess I'd probably starve faster due to the increase calorie requirement.
>>
>>46653645
Hello same guy here. Welp, based on some quick research I just did lookin for citations, your right. Therw is reason ro believe Height is pretty constant over the last 1000 years, with only minor variations. So I would still be tall, but I would not be freaking huge. I would probably just have like four or five inches on them.
>>
>>46653907
>excessive strain placed on your bones before a certain point in development can stunt your growth

This is a myth, physical labour can actually help you grow as long as you do it adequately. The only situation where you may stunt your growth would be through constant work without rest and permanent injuries. Still yeah, I guess that you can expect some harsh labour in the medieval period
>>
>>46654022
However, you would probably look like noble material. So you've got that going for you.
>>
>short term would be to secure survival necessities ( work as a field hand for food and shelter)
>long term would be distillation of alcohol, keep it a secret, you can make a liquid that burns cleanly, gets you drunk way faster than anything else, and sterilizes material.
>sell new amazing substance to that only i know how to make
>use funds to create and sell other basics (soap, gunpowder, etc)
>with my wealth and power, invest in various trades.
>retire comfortably as merchant king with qt 3.14 wench
>>
>>46654059
Really myth? Im not saying your wrong, im just Goin by everything my health teachers and athletic coaches have told me over the years, which I had always assumed to be well informed since its kinda their job you know? I swear any time you learn anything you find out ten years latter it was wrong.
>>
>>46652518
I'd probably end up homeless, and then dead.
>>
>>46652518
My skills are only useful in the modern age. I'd make my way to some court somewhere, and tell my story in the hopes that some Lord will take me on as an oddity (a man from another world!) and become an inventor or something.
>>
>>46654130
Yeah, I was in the same boat as you until I searched around if it was true or not.
While most health teachers know what they're talking about, but part of their education is outdated and prefer to play it safe and say what people have said before them.

Google "growth stunt from weightlifting"
>>
Write about how the world is round, sun is the center of the universe, get branded a heretic and killed, and 400+ years in the future some scholar finds my book and I'm remembered as a genius and not some average joe dumbass that I am
>>
>>46654130
It's kind of a hard thing to accurately measure and experiment with. Would you have a kid only exercise with one arm and leg to see if there's an appreciable length difference? I suppose you could have three different schools or PE classes in one school go with vastly different programs, one favoring aerobic exercises, one favoring anaerobic exercises, and one going for light exercise, and then mark the results. Even then, the experiment would take a decade to deliver the results, the variables would be all but uncontrolled, and any decent results could be handwaved as genetically specific to those kids.
>>
>>46653997

Well in light of everything thats come up, possibly. Cant say for sure anymore, I mean there is historical evidence that indicates 6 foot would be considered quite impressive. We think Charlemagne was around 6 foot give or take a few inches, and we have a lot of material that talks about how he was taller than pretty much everyone else and that was a big freaking deal, but in light of everything else whats been brought up im not sure how much I trust that information any more.
>>
>>46654212
But the ancient Greeks had established that the Earth was round way before the medieval era. Columbus wasn't arguing for the spherical nature of the planet, just that it's scale would be small enough to make a round trip and back.

Man, weightlifing stunting your growth, people being shorter in the old days, medieval flat earth theories, we're just throwing out a bunch of myths today, aren't we?
>>
>>46654345
Yep, wonder what the op is thinking looking at all this.
>>
>>46654130
>health teachers and athletic coaches
I.E. people in no way qualified to be giving medical advice to anyone.
>>
>>46654231
Well dude, I'm 6'0", and when I walked through the Kunst history museum I was shorter than about half of the suits, and another third were made for noble's children. (Yes, they were specifically made for children with specific and lengthy documentation showing proving that. With names and ages on many.) So I could have worn maybe a sixth of the suits, and for all I know, those were made for a noble's sixteen year old son who hadn't filled out yet.
>>
>secure food and lodging with a family temporarily by working the fields with them
>find out the lay of the land form them, maybe earn some cash gambling or doing odd-jobs with my engineering background
>hitch a ride to a bigger town, speak to a guildmaster, priest, mayor, or similar pillar of community
>find out how the land is run
>demonstrate wit and ability to learn, catch attention of someone important that could send me somewhere even better
>work my way to either mastery of a craft or wizardry, using the keen edge I have over the population with my modern knowledge
>quickly determine how much of my modern knowledge is useless and how much is useful
>lean hard on useful knowledge in my endeavors
>gain favor of a lord or king
>work with alchemists/chemists to produce kerosene in vast quantities
>fabricate an atomization mechanism
>make primitive internal combustion engine
>see the empire the wizard brought me into grow into something great
>keep detailed notes and blueprints and explanations of concepts so that after I die the technology can be improved upon.

If none of my knowledge is useful in the setting, I will doubtless pursue magic.
>>
>>46654443
Huh, the more you know I guess.
>>
>>46654466
Dude, gambling and relying on "notice me Baron!" You sound like you fell of a turnip truck. Please try not to get mugged by the local thieves guild.
>>
>>46654512
Yeah, asking this with a bunch of linebackers or rugby... uh, whatever you'd call rugby players... Ask this with a bunch of athletes present and you might get a few more responses than: "Magic, Engineering, or Bust."
>>
You know I see a lot of people posting about using superior modern knowledge, but to be honest I dont think I really know anything that would be that usefull. I mean im college educated, but im not a hard sciences major, and its not like they actually teach you how to make usefull things from scratch hin school. Sure I would have lots of great concepts, and I might know things they dont about say medicine which are just general knowledge, but applying it seems like it would be very difficult. Sure ID like to fantasize that I could make something of myself, but I would probably just end up another peasant.
>>
>>46652518
I know stonework/Masonry, so I guess i'm set.
>>
>>46654535
Even if a noble doesn't notice me I'd still highly enjoy mastering a craft. One way or another I'm fine, barring an immediate death by drunken peasants or other such calamity, at which point you're no better off than me.
>>
>I'm an I.T. guy.

Well, I'm fucked.
>>
>>46654579
I got on here thinking yes! Something im informed on that I can talk about ( I admit most of the time I have no idea what people are talking about here on tg, and I just kinda watch so I don't make an idiot of myself). And now somehow I feel like I've perpetuated the ignorant athlete stereotype
>>
>>46652518
Wasn't there a whole series of threads a while ago based on this exact premise, eventualy evolving into its own setting?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Harem_Knights
>>
So I'm almost always wearing full army kit for field stuff so I'm doing pretty good I'd say.
>>
>>46654918
Don't feel down and out there champ. If you've got the natural ability and skill to make it as an adventuring fighter or mercenary, then more power to ya. You know what, I'd even be there with ya as either a magic user, or, failing that, as a medic/fighter (irl EMT). So we've got a front-liner, an aspiring druid healer, and our pick of the million mage march we're seeing so far. Now we just need a sneaky git to handle traps and whatnot, and we'll have a classic adventuring party.
>>
>>46654602
This exact reason is why I learned how to make a steam engine. I'm a bit sad to admit that: "What would happen if I ever got thrown into a medieval fantasy world? I... I can't make cars or anything. Fuck, I should learn how to make a steam engine from scratch."
>>
>>46652518
Does the wizard cure my diseases that require the constant need of modern medicine?
>>
>>46655050
Thanks man. Seems to me that an emt would do just fine, that's useful stuff. Got a lot of respect for anyone who does that kind of thing, i could never do it. You'd probably be better than the local doctor, assuming magic wasn't just the answer to everything. It's kinda random, but now I'm wondering how long I'd be able to keep my weight up assuming this did happen. You gotta eat right to bulk up you know? I mean obviously no protein shakes there (magical alternative?), and that would make things harder, but I highly doubt I could get the kind of lean meats and carb load I'm used to. Anyone know how common it wold be to eat meat in this kind of setting? Access to pasta? What was the diet back in the day?
>>
File: 1458975811545.png (197KB, 475x396px) Image search: [Google]
1458975811545.png
197KB, 475x396px
>tfw open-carrier
>>
>>46655419
It would really depend on the area, and foods we'd think of as European staples would be unheard of. (no tomatoes or potatoes). Carbs shouldn't be a problem. Even if the area didn't make pasta specifically, grains should be plentiful. Meat is kind of a toss up. It could be restricted to fishing and occasionally hunting or poaching from the king's woods, or it could be super plentiful from fighting owlbears and the like.
>>
>>46655567
Thanks for the info. Well then I'm hoping for the owl bear option. Wonder what kind of meat that would be...im just gonna hope since it's got owl in the name it's closer to the owl than the bear, and therefor somewhat similar to turkey or chicken.
>>
>>46652708
>Sadly not nobility
This is the middle ages, anon. You're half a foot taller than the average man, with better physical health and appearance than 99% of the people you'll meet, and a more extensive education in mathematics and the sciences than even scholars of the time would likely have.

If you said you were a travelling nobleman from a foreign land, nobody would doubt it.
>>
>>46655092
Industrialization, mass-production, labor division, basic chemistry, and electricity are all nice things to know in general. Bonus points for knowing things like education or finance. Hell, things like movable type and the printing press are world-changing ideas.

The only problem is that for some things like electricity you need the ability to create copper wire, and while copper is probably not too difficult to obtain, creating copper wire is actually a kind of involved industrial process. Drawing, annealing, stranding, creating the drawing dies, the drawing lubricant, and providing relatively large massive amounts of power for the entire process.

Same for book printing, yeah "put text on block and move text around" is a good idea, but you need a lot of paper and ink, and, incidentally, printing in Europe really took off once they had a process for manufacturing paper and ink cheaply. The printing press itself was only a small part of that.

Mass-producing steel for the steam engine is also a process that needs to be understood before you can think about having huge boilers, much less the many tons of steel it would take to create railroads. On that note, what about concrete+rebar construction?

Introducing any kinds of modern ideas into a fantasy setting will almost always run into supply chain problems. Yeah, you know a magnet in a coil of wire makes electricity and you can design a watermill that can do that, but where are you going to get your wires and magnets from? Yeah, you can talk about printing books and state-sponsored education, but what are you going to print your books on? Out of what will you make your steam engines? From where will you source latex for rubber production? Even if you know how vulcanization works, where will you get sulfur and/or acetic acid or the various other chemicals that assist in vulcanization?
>>
>>46655841
I'm not saying these are all insurmountable problems, you could solve all of them, I'm sure! But they are the things people don't think about in these kinds of situations.
>>
>>46655841
The copper wiring would be available. They had draws and dies available for production of chain mail if nothing else. The boiler would be much trickier. Contracting out the construction to a smith would not only be expensive, but he might get the measurements wrong. Constructing the boiler yourself would still be expensive in terms of materials and equipment, but unless you're an experience smith you'll probably get the measurements wrong out of pure inability to do it correctly.
>>
>>46655684
Well, there's an entire comic dedicated to such things called Dungeon Meshi.
>>
>>46656427
That's true, but my main point is that if you actually want to have an impact on the setting beyond creating a few toys, you'd need a way to mass-produce all that stuff, and that's really difficult.

The best thing to do would probably be to organize a scholar's circle and task them with figuring all this shit out that you know is possible.
>>
Nigga, I'd be a fucking storyteller. They want Bible Stories, I got 'em. They want moral stories, shit I got them too. Fairy Tales? GOT THEM. Fun stories? I've read a lot of books and I can make shit up.
>>
>>46652518

Grab my gun and the 2000something bullets I have stockpiled and start killing the locals. Fuck everything. Bank on this setting having a god of murder and just keep going killing stuff. Who cares about adventure, waifus or other stuff.
>>
>>46656458
Selling a few expensive toys is all it would take to set up a comfortable life. When I was struck with an odd fear of being thrown into an alternate universe, my thought wasn't "Oh man, how can I speed up the industrial boom?". It was, "Oh man, what if I can't be an adventurer? What would I do?".

Also, organizing a scholar's circle would take a large amount of clout or resources. Either of which might be attained by providing an example of some of the crazy contraptions you could produce.
>>
>>46656650
"Wizards, no sense of right or wrong."

Gotta hand it to you for living up to the standard, Anon.
>>
>>46652518
become the greatest doctor in the world with nothing but a weekend training course in first aid.
>>
File: RollToSeduce.gif (302KB, 294x266px) Image search: [Google]
RollToSeduce.gif
302KB, 294x266px
>>46652518
Instrument lessons don't fail me now.

Acquire lute. Acquire cash. Acquire noble favor. Acquire lovers.
>>
File: lady-cook-gun-16519057.jpg (82KB, 1289x1300px) Image search: [Google]
lady-cook-gun-16519057.jpg
82KB, 1289x1300px
I have a .357 that I open carried once. So if I have that, I'll sell it and apprentice a baker with a cute daughter I can marry. I'm a pretty good baker, already. Would be cool to work as one in a fantasy world.
>>
While my chemical education will prove invaluable, the key will be to survive for long enough to have the means to demonstrate it.

So, I guess I will have to do some work with my hands for a while. The best bet would be to do menial jobs for a smithy. Closest acess to proto-chemical tools, a good place to apply spotty mechanical knowledge.

If I see a passing scholar though, I'll try to blow his mind with philosophic fast-talk. Maybe he'll take me up as a servant.

If magic exists, I would try to get an audience with a mage and try to prove my usefulness.

If everything else fails, one could always try to go to a monastery.
>>
A normal day out of the house for me involves driving to places. Does that mean I get to drive to Fantasy Land? My mileage is such that I can get about 300km per tank. Probably less, since this world probably wouldn't have asphalt.
>>
>>46652518

Well, I CC a Sig p320 and carry a spare magazine, so for at least some early combat I'd be a god. That said, I'd try to hide it as much as I could and just try to enlist myself as an engineer, considering I've got one semester left for a degree in mechanical engineering, I think my knowledge would be enough to allow me to live my life comfortably.

Also, crossbows for days, of all shapes and sizes.
>>
>>46656454
I should have known there would be an answer to such a ridiculous question. So out of curiosity in fantasy role playing games like dnd is there an equivalent to a martial artist? I know the guy above mentioned football, but im not a football player (always thought football was kinda stupid actually), im a fighter.Used to do martial arts tournaments, though I haven for a while what with college and all. Maybe its a dilly question, i mean thwy didnt have prize fighters in the medieval ages why would they be in a fantasy game, but I really dont know anything bout dnd, only game I know is WoD, cause thats what my buddy got me into, and even in that im pretty darn new.
>>
>>46653836

Do you even know how to make gunpowder? The actual process?
>>
>>46652518
Well, if I don't get instantly attacked, raped, robbed and killed by the bandits or locals, if I don't die of a sickness that has been eradicated in our time and if Orcs don't occur, I guess would, first of all, get some pussy. I'm probably better-looking than most people I see, so the tricky part would be finding some good, non-inbred looking girl to screw.
Alternatively, become a squire for some lord.
>>
>>46657057
Monk, and they did have "prize fighters" and fighting sports in medieval times.
>>
>>46657126
Monks? You mean those guys in the robes who pray all day? Like dedicated life to church, abstinate, bad haircut, male nun monks? Those guys?

Huh, well then, maybe I do a few fights. But id still probably want something better than that. Theres a reason I didnt try to go profesional, even if you make it thats a real short road.
>>
>>46657267
>not knowing that medieval monks, while not exhaustive, had martial training to defend themselves against bandits
>>
>>46657267
Who also invented a lot of the alcohol you drink today.
>>
>>46657115

It will be easy! Peasants really don't mind guys running around stealing pots, then trying to mix different sorts of crap in them, then try to set it on fire.

I wonder whether the peasants are aware that demonic powers are sometimes associated with sulfur. Might turn out hilarious. Pitchfork kind of hilarious.
>>
>>46657267
Monks? You mean those guys who created higher education, and were almost solely responsible for preserving a huge amount of history and literature and art and etc?

someone post that screencap with the monk green text about atheists, you know the one
>>
>>46657377

Oh yeah, there is a reason why half of the cheeses and beers are named after monastic orders. Because they made them. They made wine, translated and copied books on the paper they made, prayed 5 times a day, further science and philosophy(that Occam guy whos razor gets mentioned a lot was a monk too), and still had enough time to spare to domesticate rabbits.

All while not even being allowed to jerk off, much less see women.
>>
>>46657267
D&D monks are more like Shaolin Monks. Think less Friar Tuck and more Bruce Lee.

And yeah, prize fights for days dude. So long as there are three humans close to each other, one will pay to watch the other two fight. Honestly though, tournaments weren't just jousting. You'd be set.
>>
>>46657309
>? What's >?

And no I didn't know that, it's cool though. Still don't think I'd want to be a monk even if they are the closest equivalent in setting. I don't think a monk gets chicks.
>>
>>46657516
Ok, that makes sense, Asiatic monks as martial artists I can get, since they were/still are
>>
>>46657309
Really depends on the order. Some monasteries were like schools. Some were like glorified breweries. Some were mountaintop martial arts academies devoted to learning the best way to kill someone with a sword. (What, you thought they only did that in Asia?)
>>
>>46657563
There is always a market for the current best way of killing.
>>
>>46657368

Plus if its impure, improperly milled, the mix isnt the correct ratio, wet, overdry or the charcoal wasnt made from the correct type of wood it might never explode or take your hand.

Also, even if you manage to luck out and make gunpowder in any respectable quantity there isnt much to use them for.
>>
>>46656966
aspiring engineer here

how do I become an engineer? does it require a mindset to really get into it? how would I know if I have it or not?
>>
>>46657629
explosive mixtures aren't usually that sensitive about their carbon sources friend, but right on everything else.
>>
>>46652518
I would wow them into submission with the zipper of my backpack and my paper books. They'll think I'M the wizard.
>>
>magical fantasy world
>ye auld mideaval germs
>this whole thread

I go check out whatever magical authority there is, be that a hedge witch, or wizard collage. If they seem alright, I admit to being a lost transplant.
This either happens all the time, and they have a system in place, or it's fairly rare, and I'm at least interesting.
Where it goes from there depends on the setting, and the people involved.
It could be great, and it could be terrible. It might even be both. But no matter what, it's going to be an adventure.
>>
>>46657629

This. I'm really surprised gunpowder always comes up in these scenarios. It's like all the future can offer to the past is a good way to blow shit up and make holes in people. It's hard to make without a roof over your head, a lot of geological samples, and time.
>>
>>46657516

Awesome, but I don't even want to think about who they'd have patching me up at those tourneys, if there was anyone to patch me up. So no medical on the one hand, but on the other I bet they didn't have weight classes. This could be a good thing, unless they put me in with some superheavy mofo I would not mind. I hated trying to make weight.
>>
>>46657747
>zippo lighter
IT IS AS THE SPARK MAGIC, YET IT REQUIRES NO WORDS!
>>
>>46652518
I have a gun. A gun and a lot of bullets. It may not be magic, but it will help me survive for a bit as i get my bearings.
>>
>>46657837
It's just a small oil lamp with a lid and a flint wheel...
>>
>>46657874
You normally leave your house with more than two mags directly on your person.

This isn't a question. I'm just pointing it out.
>>
For some reason, everyone keeps assuming that medieval people were slack-jawed yokels who would fall on their knees and start worshipping you as a god because you flashed your keys at them.
>>
Thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r3ZUgoQ0Qc
>>
>>46656598
>anon is flung back into medevial Germany, isn't killed immediately.
>starving on the streets telling stories to those that will listen.
>meets a man with a printing press who gives him the time of day.
>they write hundreds of amazing tales together and define the genre of fairy tales for millennia to come.
>they call them the brothers Grimm.
>hundreds if years later anon reads his own writings and uses them as inspiration when he goes back in time.
>>
>>46657941
They were more of 'kick strangers ass and take all valuables, especially amazing clothing' kind of yokels.

That's it! You can go to a tailor and show him your clothes - he might pick up some good ideas.
>>
>>46657829
It's cool dude, they've got "fantasy" right there in the OP. You'd be patched up by magic rather than medicine, so no problemo. You're probably right about weight classes. So get used to dropping superheavy mofos.
>>
>>46657982

Sounds legit.
>>
>>46658028
Maybe this is another myth, but I thought they were more of the, burn you at the stake kind of yokels.
>>
>>46657909
My friends flat out didn't believe me when I mentioned carrying a couple hundred rounds of .22. They're tiny little bastards and I can cram a bunch into a pouch.

Side note, .22 revolver for popping goblins and kobolds.
>>
>>46652518

The best bet would be to have an acoustic musical instrument with you. Provided, of course, that you can play.

Play well enough, and you can get closer to the nobility and its' wealth and relative comfort.
>>
>>46658091

You won't need your posessions to burn at the stake, right? And they have families to feed.
>>
>>46657978
Man, Germany took Adventure Time in a bold new direction.
>>
>>46658091

>people still believe this shit

You know, THE church, the one with its seat on Rome BANNED peasants being faggots about witchcraft. Thats right, the official dogma was that witches dont exist. The inquisition could actually fuck you over for trying to do that shit(and you know, murder)
>>
>>46658161
Sounds pragmatic - the peasants probably spent too much time accusing each other instead of working.
>>
>>46658091
The actual burning was a bit of a myth. They'd be more likely to hang you. Also, depending on the time period and area, they'd be more likely to burn the guy that claimed you were a witch because believing in such things as witches was considered heresy. "The only real magic is God's Love, you heathen! Burn him! Send him to God so God can send him to Hell to burn him all over again!"
>>
>>46657941
>magical fantasy world
>medevial
>medieval
>mideaval
>medieval
>medieval
>mideaval
>medieval
>medieval

>>46658098
Same.
IRL, I just use it to get small game, or plinking around in my woods. They're so tiny, I just throw a hundred box in my bag and call it packed.
>>
>>46658230
I also heard stoning was a popular cost-effective alternative.
>>
I dunno what I'd do. Honestly I'd probably mentally break, and only hope I don't get killed before I recover.
After my hopeful recovery, I know enough about machinery, art, music, history, fighting, and some sciences to get by doing just about anything.
Hell, I could really kick off the art scene if it's anything like the earth equivalent. Introduce perspective and fucking bam.
I'd love to learn a little magic, assuming it exists. I like to keep myself well rounded in real life with a few areas of expertise, I don't see why magic should be excluded from that barring magic being based on heritage.
>>
File: image.jpg (310KB, 660x728px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
310KB, 660x728px
>>46657719
Chemical engineer here.

It's mostly keeping yourself interested in what you're doing. If you can do math and algebra, you've got the basics. From there, it's a matter of keeping up.

If you've done well in school, and you like science (actual data gathering, note taking, and interpretation) or its implementation, you'll do just fine.

As for getting set back, good thing I have pic related and a notebook/pencil in my bag. I leave it in there as a joke, but...
>>
>>46658091
Witch hunting was more of a renaissance-era thing than a medieval thing, lasting from the late 1400s through the early 1700s, and reaching its height in the late 1500s.

During the middle ages, the church didn't exert all the much control over the lives of the ordinary person, and tons of traditional (pre-Christian) religious practices persisted in rural communities.
>>
I guess I try to find a group of scholars and "invent" calculus, Boolean algebra, and cryptography. Slowly, so it looks like I'm actually researching. And I hide that laptop as quick as possible. I can explain maths knowledge, I can't explain a box of music and moving pictures that doesn't have a magical aura. Since it's a magical world, I'd look for some wizards or artificers and see if we can magitech the place up.

This is assuming I don't die from something daft like unfamiliar germs, or murdered by peasants for wearing unusual clothing.
>>
>>46652518

>introduce modern medical practices
>appropriate the dominant religion
>pass self off as a healer inspired by the grace of the gods themselves
>find noble patrons
>bluff, lie and ham way to comfortable life
>>
>>46658332
>I leave it in there as a joke, but...
I know that feel...
PLEASE! TAKE ME! I'LL SUCK YOUR WIZARD COCK!
>>
>>46658098
You can fit over a thousand .22 rounds in a fanny pack.
>>
>>46658300
Another game they liked to play was pressing. I could be confusing this for a Salem exclusive one, but they'd put a large board or heavy door on you, and just pile more and more stones on you until you stopped being three dimensional.
>>
>>46658396

We can all agree that spending firewood on total strangers doesn't sound very peasant-ly.
>>
>>46658416
Yeah, especially when an option is to just hit you with the wood until you stop moving.
>>
File: 1460430668140.jpg (188KB, 690x941px) Image search: [Google]
1460430668140.jpg
188KB, 690x941px
>>46658332
>If you can do math and algebra
fug
>If you've done well in school
double fug
>actual data gathering, note taking, and interpretation
triple fug
>>
>>46658060
Yeah that is not happening. I'm a super middleweight/light heavyweight depending on how I do my weight control, those 200+ pound guys are beasts, they'd kill me. I know skill can level it out to a degree, but there is a reason weight classes exist, and I'm not going to assume I am more skilled just because I'm modern and these are fantasy land fighters. Whatever did exist back then I bet it was mean as fuck.
>>
>>46658133
>Germany
Try Russia familia
>>
Well I'll probably be killed for speaking in tounges as Spanish is my other first language (both parents were English and Spanish speakers).
>>
>>46658332
>It's mostly keeping yourself interested in what you're doing. If you can do math and algebra, you've got the basics. From there, it's a matter of keeping up.

aerospace engineer here, can confirm, especially

>It's mostly keeping yourself interested in what you're doing.

Motivation and enjoying what you do is most of the battle, the rest just comes along.
>>
>>46658603
Maybe they will mistake it for Latin and bring you to the closest educated person.

Could actually turn out okay.
>>
>>46658507
Oh, yeah you might have a bad time. Hey, nothing says you can't make a decent wage in bar fights against untrained farmers. Skill vs Size alone. You've got this, dude.
>>
File: Capture.png (26KB, 864x373px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
26KB, 864x373px
>>46658498
Hey, buck up, anon.
I'm going to literally the best school in the U.S. for ChemE stuff, and there are people here who are actually retarded but fake it well enough to get by.

>pic related, it's some homework I had to do

Why do you want to be an engineer? What do you want to do with your life? Do you have a discipline in mind?

I'll revise what I said: doing well in school isn't essential, but math and algebra are. Balancing mathematical equations is fundamental to every major (except maybe CS stuff? I don't actually know very much about their work), but you can study and learn that.
What's really important is loving what you do. I've seen people who made it through, got a 100k+ job, and hate everything in their lives. They did it for the money, or because their parents wanted them to, not because it's what they actually want.
If you want to be an engineer, you have pretty much two options: R&D, or Facility Operations. The first is "What the fuck am I casting", the second is "What the fuck did they cast".

Don't give up on your dream, but make sure it's actually what you want.
Do you mind answering the questions I asked up above? I really do want to know.
>>
>>46655300
Goddamn modern society, and it's human pugs. The Fuhrer would have never approved!
>>
>>46658603
Polyglots were a thing, dude. They knew other places and languages existed. I mean, fuck, how many languages do you think Ibn Battuta was working with by the end of his journey?
>>
>>46658661
>>46658624
Have you ever tried to understand someone speaking in Spanglish while not knowing one of the languages? It sounds like the person is having a stroke. At least that's what frenglish sounds like to me.
>>
>>46658603

Almost everyone spoke more than one language in medieval times.

Stop believing in fucking pop history.
>>
>>46658629
Different guy here, but I'd also like to be an engineer. Actually I'd like to major in Engineering and maybe go to med school afterwards.

I want to help people. I want to design and build machines to help people. I'm not sure if I should go into electrical engineering or mechanical. I do love math actually. I'll do algebra for fun, and I took calc in high school. Taking experimental notes doesn't exactly excite me, but I don't mind. However, I do enjoy reviewing that data and the data from other people's experiments.

Ultimately, being a pathologist sounds really fun. Epidemiology sounds fun too, but they get paid peanuts because of their limited work options. A pipe dream of mine is to make artificial organs. Even just improving the battery of our current artificial hearts would be amazing for actual viability in comparison to transplants.
>>
File: timetravel qa.jpg (226KB, 660x728px) Image search: [Google]
timetravel qa.jpg
226KB, 660x728px
>>46652518
I become a stableboy or something while trying to find a wizard to teach me magic.
Become his apprentice, hell, I'll do him if I need to.

Other than that, advanced knowledge of natural sciences, medicine, literacy, hygiene, and technology is very useful. Maybe try and do something involving one of those, impress a local physician and try and get him to teach me or get me into his craft. I can remember basic things from this pic, although not all of them, but penicillin is definitely something I would be capable of.
>>
>>46658684
Dude, they were at war with each other almost constantly. Defectors and deserters living in the other country, or even just good ol' immigrants to another country would result in people speaking multiple languages. Hell, a large part of transcription was translation and A LOT of scientific and philosophical breakthroughs were happening in Spain during England's "Dark Ages".
>>
>>46658768
You want Biomedical engineering.
My roommate this year is BioMed, and it's the craziest shit.
They're like the bastard sons of mechanical engineers and pre-med students. It sounds like it's right up your alley.

>>46658809
I already posted this, you dang double nerd.

Penicillin is a good pick, but I'd hit up aerofoils and engines first. Jumpstarting trade by several hundred years will jumpstart everything else.
>>
>>46654443
Armor is by necessity larger than the person it's made for, and when it's on display it often looks taller because of how they display it.
>>
>>46658625
True, though I have to wonder how many 200+ pound behemoths I would expect to meet. I mean its not like every single fighter would be that big right? They are kinda the exception not the norm. I could probably do alright in tourneys, I mean even if they were heavy weight equivalents I could probably still deal with that. You can generally get away in devisions one above or below your preferred weight class with the right preperations, and my preffered is light heavy. I could get to heavy if i really wanted to, I just never tried to go up.
>>
>Be artist
>only thing on me would be a backpack full of art supplies.
>Teach peasants how to draw anime tiddy
>all culture and progress grinds to a halt
>>
File: lemon battery.jpg (142KB, 1600x1020px) Image search: [Google]
lemon battery.jpg
142KB, 1600x1020px
>>46658833
Penicillin can be grown in a few days. An engine would take longer, and without exact measurements, and the fact that I'm going entirely off of what I can memorize from that picture, my year in nursing school, and advanced common knowledge, I doubt I could make an engine beyond maybe something very rudimentary.
Now a magnet sounds easy. Get good with a smith to get copper rods and copper to wrap around the iron i got from him, and snag a few lemons(If they have them) to create the electricity. I think that would work, though, I never have made a lemon battery.
>>
File: alone.png (153KB, 404x470px) Image search: [Google]
alone.png
153KB, 404x470px
>>46658908
>>
File: A-Alamy-DG0PF5_bnhdua.jpg (366KB, 1440x1946px) Image search: [Google]
A-Alamy-DG0PF5_bnhdua.jpg
366KB, 1440x1946px
>>46652518
I've had education in a seminary and held some clerical positions, plus I enjoy myself some Socrates, Descartes, and Kierkegaard.
I guess I try to enter a monastery and become the new Gregor Mendel.

If that doesn't pan out, I am a Wildlife Biologist with wilderness survival training. So I guess I could become a woodsman, and maybe become an early Aldo Leopold.
>>
>>46658833
Woah, neat. I thought biomedical engineering would just be the application of type of engineering field. I didn't know it was its own specific major.
>>
>>46654821
>I'm a leasing consultant at an apartment complex

You, good sir! Would you like to take a tour of my hovel? It comes with dirt floors and...we'll...nothing else! I'm offering a move-in now pay later deal if you lease before the end of the fort-night!
>>
>>46652518
>Have glasses
>Get weird looks.
How would I explain this?
>>
>>46658892
Well if you've got a kingdom wide competition it wouldn't be a matter of fighting a lot of those behemoths, but a matter of reliably fighting the few that show up to dominate the competition.
>>
>>46659072

Hello? Glasses are pretty old as a tech.

The worst that could happen is that people immediately think you're someone who can afford glasses.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 855x187px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 855x187px
Good thing I never leave home without my trusty Bill-guisarme fauchard glaive voulgebec-de-bardiche.
>>
I know off by heart how to make soap and gunpowder as well as read/write and have an above average height for our time so i must be a giant among malnourished peasants the rest will just come naturally.
>>
>>46659043
Yeah, it's actually pretty cool.
If you do a little digging, there's an engineering subset for everyone.
I'm ChemE/Chem, but that's only because Materials Science hasn't hit it big yet.

What I really want to do is polymer materials and design. Radical reactions in particular are super cool.

Something else to know for anyone going into engineering: You will do so many unit conversions. So many. If you live in the U.S., get used to the conversion between feet and meters.
I never appreciated the metric system until it was denied to me.
>>
>>46659081
Hmmm yeah your right a few ringers would show up. Well this is a magical realm right? Maybe If I could get enough together with bar fights I could get a wizard to supersize me or something before taking a run at the turney. ( would they check for that like we do doping? ) I mean I already have the height, if I could just get a wizard to make me a little more broad it might work.oy whichever one of you said he was gonna learn magic, you wanna enter into a profitable business deal? The bard can be my bookie, and we'll make a party that goes around making money at tournaments instead of saving the world. It will be like that old heath ledger movie.
>>
>>46659266
Yeah, but then you have to worry about the other magically super-sized guys, and the guys with magic weapons, and the guys with magically grafted extra arms and stuff, and the guy that can shoot fire out of his eyes and lightning out of his ass.
>>
>>46652518
In a generic fantasy land, roughly how long would it take to learn enough magic to qualify as a mage.
>>
>>46659538
Is the man who shoots lighting out his ass 7 feet tall?
>>
>>46659538
Well there goes that dream. I'm a be stuck fighting drunken lowlife in bars for coins till some one takes objection and shanks me or I get hit in the head one to many times and die from medical complications. Those really suck. I knew this guy great fighter, he was going places, gets ko'd his first match. Doc tells him he can't fight no more or next time he takes a blow to the head it might kill him, cause his brain rattled around to much and now he's got serious damage.
>>
>>46652518
>biochemist
>briefcase w/ notebooks, pencils, pens, calculator
>6'4" 280lbs
if i'm not killed for being a heretic-wizard-alchosorcerer i'll probably die by being a fat fuck who generally doesn't like people.
that, or revolutionize medicine/agriculture/warfare
>>
>>46652518
Well...
If I'm just taken with everything I have normally, then I have a good quality steel knife, a CZ Pistol with an extra mag or two, and I have basic knowledge of ye olde weapons such as bows and slings, bows I'm quite proficient with infact.
Im 6'2" so I'd probably end up being a giant amoung men.
Not fat, not too fit, kinda normal bodily, though my legs can press 500 lbs like cake.
I'd probably either work in a local village since I already cut trees down and shit, or perhaps take up bow or spear hunting to survive.
I know how to make rope and primitive structures by manipulating clay, so I think I'd be fine there.
Might become a soldier of some type, and eventually rise to greatness either as a renowed infantryman or an archer.
Overall pretty well.
If it's Earth, I may travel around or spur on the finding of the Americas earlier with my sick 21st century knowledge.
Might travel to the East, away from Europe to see my ancestral civilization before the Islamic hordes invaded.
>>
>>46652518
Stealing a idea from Michaela 'Burnie' Burns, I will use my knowledge of modern cooking to make foods and meals that no one ever had before. I'll be the belle of the lords castle.
>>
>>46660256

> I will use my knowledge of modern cooking to make foods and meals that no one ever had before.

>thinking you are better than professional cooks
>thinking medieval people are retards.
>>
>>46660256
You will be lacking most of the ingredients you take for granted.
>>
>>46659784
Hey, it's a fantasy world. You might be the next great adventurer and start punching dragons. Live the dream, dude!
>>
Well, to start I hope like hell that it's summer and warm because if it's not I'm going to die from exposure in short order. From there I hope like hell that the local ecology is similar to where I got magenapped from and put my holistic medicine and EMT training to use and set myself up as a healer. From there, hope like hell I can make enough to live on doing that long enough to locate whatever passes for an alchemists college, where I hope like hell that alchemy is just chemistry with exotic reagents and reactions so my chemistry degree will be useful as hell.

Assuming all of the above work out in my favor, once I am established and have a pool of resources to work with I start tracking down the ass hole wizard who brought me here and make him regret that decision.
>>
I can read english, read music and sing. Now I just need to get to a cathedral or nobal court and get in. Provided I do, I can then revolutionize how music is recorded by using the double staff system and movable type printing press. From there the only thing I think I could do is posit the basic principles of physics and pretend I made them up. Hopefully this'll be enough for me to live comfortably in the upper echelons of society till I die of smallpox
>>
>>46660695
Alright, yeah your right, its high fantasy, and i'm hopefully a player character. The first lesson i learned when my buddy got me into this stuff, if you have high enough stats you can do anything.
>>
>>46660695
I CAST FIST
>>
>>46658629
Late to the conversation, but this guy nailed it, especially the part about making sure you love what you do. I got 3 years into a ChemE program before I realized I liked the science behind what I was studying more than the applied part of what I was learning. I ended up switching from engineering to straight chemistry. The switch added two years onto my college time but I've got no regrets. I'm loving what I'm doing now and should have my masters by the end of the year.
>>
>>46662418
Guy who's in community college right now, how exactly did you find something you love, like ChemE/Chem?
>>
>>46662466
It wasn't an overnight thing unfortunately. I started out in computer sciences, decided I hated coding, dropped out and got my EMT card. I drove an ambulance for a few years, switched majors half a dozen times and took Chem 100 on a whim because why not. Decided I liked it and jumped on chemical engineering because I heard they made a lot of money.

Long story short I kind of lucked into it. Just keep trying things until you find something that's fun or you like doing and run with it.
>>
>>46652518
I'd probably be pretty fucked. I'm kind of chubby and not overly strong, tough, or fast. Depending on the kind of magical fantasy world I would either be pretty attractive compared to the toothless yokels, or ugly compared to the muscular, bronzed, Olympians.

The only thing I'd have on me is my phone (which I assume is useless), a pencil, chapstick, my wallet (which would be useless even if currency wasn't an issue since I'm poor), and a swiss army knife.

But I have no experience in hard labor, I don't know how to build anything with my hands, I have zero combat skills, zero survival skills, and I bet I would suck at magic if for some reason some wizard decided to teach me.

I would not last long.
>>
By virtue of being able to read, write, and do advanced mathematics (at least for the time period), it shouldn't be terribly difficult to become a bureaucrat in whatever government rules over where I end up. Could probably tackle some engineering projects too. I don't think people realize that high school math classes weren't discovered in European societies until the 17th-18th centuries. Even introducing arabic numerals and the decimal system would be ground breaking
>>
>>46654466
Do you actually know how to make a primitive internal combustion engine with medieval/fantasy materials? Can you honestly say you can both fabricate the parts and make an engine that is both simple enough to construct and works consistently enough to make it even remotely valuable in a medieval world, or a world of magic where there's potentially better options?

Do you think your knowledge of modern crafts give you any sort of advantage in the medieval methods, particularly over someone who's been practicing that craft since their early teen years?

Do you actually think any of the guildmasters, priests, or pillar's of the community will want to give you the time of the day when they have actual jobs to do? Or that they'll help you come to grips with the community and social norms in any in-depth manner?

Do you actually think you can fabricate an atomization mechanism?

This sounds more like a 13 year old's power fantasy.
>>
I was a D student and school and never athletic.
I have no real skills of note but I do have one thing.

I watched a lot of movies and played a lot of games, If this world has no connection to our own then they know nothing of us or our stories. I'd just become an author or playwright and write localized versions of famous movies or stories.
>>
>>46663230
Reading and Writing's a good talent considering everyone seems to be speaking English, and assuming literacy's low enough to get you noticed, by high enough to actually be useful.

The story-telling thing's a cool idea, if you have a little bit of charisma/flair too you could do okay for yourself. Otherwise you might be able to survive by telling stories at the local pub.
>>
>>46663205
>This sounds more like a 13 year old's power fantasy.
/tg/
>>
Probably enroll in the nearest analogue to a military and try to become a high level barbarian/fighter or something. Don't worry about destroying my joints again because healing potions.
>>
Well, being as I myself have been trained to use a forge I would try and get work as an apprentice at the local black smith. If that fails I always have my boot knife, my survival sharpener that comes with a flint and steel and a flash light, my paracord bracelet, my multitool pocket knife and a box of matches with me, so I could make a fairly decent go of surviving on my own in the wild if need be. I know how to hunt and forage and how to make a fairly decent bow, and I imagine I could use some of the paracord as the string for the time being. I also know how to build semi decent shelter until I have enough time to create a more permanent home.

Honestly I probably wouldn't become an adventurer, that seems to get people killed. I'd just try to make my life as comfortable as possible and introduce the townsfolk to boardgames and such and maybe even regale them as a story teller by telling them the plots of movies and by playing a guitar/lute. A bard, I suppose I could be a bard
>>
>>46652518

>be me
>be 6'4 HEMA fighter studying health and fitness and working at gym
>hopefully get transported while in medieval garb with my 42 inch sword

Other than that providing I have a magic fantasy germ proof shield and don't bring my germs with me, and the local dont kill me for being a gesh dern ferner?

I am to tall for ye olde farming, fuck that shit. I have BASIC combat training of the era and know a bit about tactics, wouldn't really want to be a soldier either but I'd probably try to go for a job as a fighter anyway.

I have no trade skills or knowledge of farming, I basically have wizard levels of knowledge about nature and the world in general compared to medieval peasants so I'd have to watch my tongue.

I need to eat a lot aswell, fuck me this is hard. Is it a fantasy setting or ye olde earth?
>>
>>46658908
>all of the snail and rabbit doodles in the margins of books get replaced by Pepe and Wojak
>>
>tfw I always carry a magic feck around.

LOOKING FOR ENCHANTER, WILL GIVE DRY SHAMPOO FOR SERVICES.
>>
>>46652518

I'm a hobbyist blacksmith. Mostly wall hooks and some simple knives, but you know, it's something.
>>
Jokes on you, OP, I have the power of GUN!
>>
I'd miss toilet paper.

If the "modern dude gets pulled into fantasy land" thing sounds interesting, there s a vidya called Nox. It's pretty old, made by Westwood studios, but quite fun. Should be on GOG.
>>
File: 1346741056245.jpg (88KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1346741056245.jpg
88KB, 600x600px
>Can fence Épée and Longsword
>Can ride a horse
>Decent knowledge of agriculture
>Decent knowledge of survival
>Musician

I'm sorted. Going to travel as a bard.
>>
>Be carpenter

Well I guess it could be worse. I have a trade for work.

>Practiced in the use of polearms

So I could also join the militia if need be.

Im Aldo not a bad shot with a crossbow...and a rather good cook.

But I guess that's all worthless if I can't find a place to rest my head and not get killed
>>
>>46665828
>epee

Literally not a real sword. Longsword, assuming you mean hand and a half and HEMA, might be useful.
>>
>>46655430
Good luck reloading after your two mags run dry
>>
>>46665782
>Nox

Good taste anon.
>>
>>46657982
>Brothers Grimm
>Medieval

MIght want to adjust your time machine dial there, buddy.
>>
>>46664302
>Is it a fantasy setting or ye olde earth?
>Suddenly, a wizard appears and transports you to a magical fantasy world.

Why is this hard?
>>
>>46666771
>Medieval
>>
>>46652518
I'm fat, stout, bearded and tall. With my good education and neckbeard power level I could pass as a nobleman, but my permanently dirty work clothes and well worn leather work boots out me as a strangely dressed common laborer. I'm probably stronger and healthier than the smallfolk that surround me, and I am a pretty damn good drawfag. If there are no artists I could get an apprenticeship from, I'll nab a stick of charcoal and start drawing pretty pictures on the road or whatever wall already features graffiti. If that fails I'll find work at the blacksmith or probably the lumber camp, whichever needs a strong back and a steady hand. After some time I expect my modern education will have lended itself to my status as the world's smartest man, and I'll run the whole village after a few years. At that point I'll have invented firearms and raised my own militia, then it's only a matter of taking over the world.
>>
Worst case scenario, I'm eaten by wolves. Best case scenario, my teeth finally infect my bloodstream and I die painfully.
>>
>>46667810
Why don't you ask a healer to fix them?
You know, what with the magic and all.
>>
>>46652518

Well I can read write and do basic math so joining a monastery could work

I bring some modern day knowledge but not much

Boil and mold basically for medical

Crop rotation and compost I would have to figure out but I know of it

There's probably more up there but I can't think of it now
>>
>>46652518

On an average day I've got a phone, keys and wallet (all of which will be useless either now or very soon), as well as a messenger bag with an econometrics textbook and a few notebooks full of class notes. And a protein bar, so I guess I'm fine for at least one meal while I get my bearings.

So, I guess set myself up as a scholar somewhere and introduce modern accounting and statistical practices as if they were my own invention.
>>
>>46652518
>That
Step 1: figure out the religions in this world
Step 2: become equivalent of a friar
Step 3: hone body to the highest level of skill I can physically achieve, I no longer have video and table-top games to enjoy, no distractions.
Step 4: Travel the world, spreading the faith and cleansing the impure.
Supplies I carry are a few day's worth of food and water, plus an extra outfit, since I am unsure if I will be able to find proper clothing in a reasonable amount of time.
>>
>>46653386
>implying he won't rape you first for shits and giggles.
>>
File: 1427959185355.jpg (122KB, 668x623px) Image search: [Google]
1427959185355.jpg
122KB, 668x623px
>>46652518
>Suddenly, a wizard appears and transports you to a magical fantasy world.
>magical fantasy world
>everyone keeps ranting about witch hunts, diseases and grimdark peasants
You'd probably fail the first perception check and fall off a cliff or something
>>
>>46652518
find the token chaotic good forest realm and become an apprentice mage, focusing on illusion and transmutation magic (assuming a D&D-like setting), try to be buddy-buddy with the elves. Once I can set out on my own, I'll be something like a rogue/mage, except I'll have a keltec .380 with six bullets and a laser pointer (probably use all of them before becoming an apprentice, due to random encounters), and the only jeans in existence (that I'll use minor repair magic on over time).

Now, as a mage, I'd learn (or create) spells that allow me to change my body a little bit (like level 0 or 1 spells)), then set about finding a qt elf waifu to live an idyllic forest life with. Occasional local adventuring, natch.

Difficulties being: traveling to elf realm while wearing modern clothes and not getting killed or starving (I'm breddy gud at that kind of thing), learning elven, convincing a mage to take me as an apprentice, and spending what is likely the rest of my youth learning magic (I'm already 27, so i'd be in my 30's easy before getting to have fun)
>>
>>46652518
I'm a big, fairly literate and imperious (by medieval standards) guy who knows his way around hand tools, and scripture.

I find my way to the nearest Abbey or the like and try my best to become a novice. In due time I hope to be in charge of the books and stuff. That's actually what I want to do in real life anyway. Monks have good food, too. And lots of it. And beer. Good beer.

Since I can convincingly present myself as some kind of minor gentry or even noble, I should do well considering the typical makeup in our world of relatively well to do, literate people. I figure I can get a crash course in their local religion just going through the rote prayers and devotions, or otherwise, beg total ignorance but real sincerity in wanting to know the True Faith.
I guess another option that might be more fun would be setting myself up as a scribe somewhere else, because I can write. The fact that I'm not particularly good doesn't even matter because a lot of people can't write anyways, probably, and being able to read well is at least as much as the writing. I also know a lot of neat tricks about composition and dual column accounting and college level math that my competition won't. Even if I'm total shit at writing letters the fact that I can be a 3rd rate novice accountant by modern standards makes me possibly an invaluable trade secret in their world. (Or it might get me stabbed in the back by catspaws of the local Italian City State with Jealous Trading/Banking Houses who want to protect the secret.)
>>
>>46653507
That would have been a better plot to Black Knight with Martin Lawrence. Unless that was the plot to Black Knight with Martin Lawrence. Because I never saw it. Because Martin Lawrence ain't funny.
>>
I see a lot of people posting about how they are literate, and that would be an advantage, but how do you know you can read their written works? English writing has changed massively over the years. Have you ever tried to read something from 200 years ago? I have, the spelling is completely different, and the vocabulary used is often very different from what we are used to. I can just see you going, yeah im literate....what are these scribbles?
>>
>>46652518
I could entertain people with my phone for about 24 hours before it powers down.

I could jangle my keys at them too I guess.
>>
>Inventory
My House Keys
My purse
A pack of tissue papers
Also a bagpack with a plastic bottle and writing utensils at the very least

The first thing i would do is to stop rolling around on the ground crying like a bitch after a few hours.
Then go to said village, figure out if magic is a thing like OP claims or not. If yes, seek not-evil wizard. Maybe i'll end up as one after all. If not, tough luck, i should pick up a profession and use that sweet 21st century knowledge to pick up a profession and make my life generally easier. By medieval standarts that is.

If everything else fails then i steal a sword from a blacksmith, try to make a life adventuring the beautiful central-european country side and die young mauled by wolves in the middle of the night.
>>
>>46657812
I'd go with gun cotton, personally, but that's just me.
>>
File: dark age myth.png (2MB, 1386x4653px) Image search: [Google]
dark age myth.png
2MB, 1386x4653px
>>46652891
Is this Dark age myth or did you somehow end up in Muslim territory ?
>>
>>46652684
At least you can write it.
Thread posts: 211
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.