[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are elves always so bad? >hurr durr centuries of experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 15

File: 018.png (57KB, 229x260px) Image search: [Google]
018.png
57KB, 229x260px
Why are elves always so bad?
>hurr durr centuries of experience
>hurr durr low natality
>hurr durr basically half-god
>still get killed by random mob or a furry kobold with a crossbow
>>
>>46625928

>TFW i play a kobold and killed several elves with a crossbow

way to hit the nail on the head OP
>>
Well you are picking random qualities from different sources
>>
File: Gargle.png (25KB, 169x185px) Image search: [Google]
Gargle.png
25KB, 169x185px
>>46625955
I don't know any setting where elves don't have problem reproducing. They're always depicted as being near extinct, with each elf dying being a crippling blow to their entire race.
>>
Maybe they don't become fertile until age 500 or so?
>>
I think elves should be more Fae-like: Alien in nature and behaviour, morally ambiguous or just alien, terrifying, prone to kidnap people and return them 300 years later.
>>
>>46625928
Tolkien.
>hurr durr low natality
Tolkien.
Tolkien.
Games striving for balance between racial options.
>>
>>46625986
>i have never played warhammer
>>
>>46625983
So basically the fey from kingdoms of amalur?
>>
>>46625928
> kobold
> furry
eh?
>>
File: 1457941998753.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1457941998753.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>46625928
Says who? In alot of more recent games, their life span is around 350 instead of in the thousands. And just because they CAN live that long doesn't mean all of them do. When I do play elves, I rarely have them be much older than 40 or so.

>hurr durr low natality
I don't get the complain here... how is this overpowered or Sue'ish? It honestly seems like a really bad trait for a race to have when wars and stuff happen. It's basically low fertility... which completely makes sense for a race that lives a long time and would become overpopulated otherwise (barring any extreme population sinks like wars).

Literally whut? Pretty sure this is exclusive to LoTR. I've seen alot of settings treat elves as innately magical, but not as being part god. Are you sure you don't mean Aasimar?

Um yeah... they're flesh and blood. Humans can get killed by a bite from a poisonous bug, what is your point?
>>
I want to know the connection between the elves and the Nazis.
>>
>>46625990
The Lord of the Rings was published in 1937. WFB was published in 1983. What's your point?
>>
Maybe they just dont know how to grow kids and are cripplingly afraid of getting kids?
>>
>>46626033
>Maybe they just dont know how to grow kids
An entire race of Emiya Shirou?
>>
>>46626028
Elder Scrolls
Bethesda's crappy writing team

Take your pick.
>>
>>46626028
That's enough out of you, Question, go back to promoting anti-vaxx.
>>
>>46625970
I don't think the typicla DnD elves are dying out. Or Warcraft night elves (high/blood elves have a very small population, but only because they got their kingdom ganked by the undead. Before that they were doing just fine). Elves in pretty much every settign tend to reproduce slowly, though, because that's an easy way to handwave why they haven't overrun every other race with hordes of immortal (or extremely long lived) elves who are better than you at nearly everything.
>>
>>46626031
I think he meant not only Tolkien did that.
>>
>>46626025
He doesn't have point, he's a bad shitposter trying to stir up shit.
>>
>>46625928
Elves as a concept are pretty flawed to put into a game and expect them to be equal to humans.

In most media, I've seen them being portrayed as these long lived, creatures of beauty and grace. Most being a conduit for magical energies of some kind or another.

I can easily see young elves being reckless and such, adventuring outside their lands to explore and meet other races against their elders wishes. But I have no idea why they would ever want to deal with humans or orks. You don't live for over 100 years without gaining wisdom. Especially if your kind is known to be cautious and wise to begin with.

I think they work best as alien, rarely encountered beings, who, when old, are brimming with wisdom and grace, and when young are often prideful and reckless, (taking their long live spans for granted.)

I think adventuring with an elf who hide their ears and try to pass for human would be pretty fun.
>>
>>46625986
>hurr durr low natality
>Tolkien
Wait, what? I don't remember that part. I mean sure, in the Third Age they're a fading race, but First Age they were creating huge kingdoms and sending out large armies to take on Morgoth, and they seem to give off the impression that they were, if not increasing, at least stable in the Second Age.
>>
>>46626025
>>46626117

/thread
>>
>>46626137
Stop answering to yourself already.
>>
>>46626120
Yeah, but why did they stop breeding during thid age?

Did they invent condoms or what?
>>
I always had the complaint that elves were too weak relative to what they were supposed to be, so when I put a setting together I buffed elves significantly, and simply set a rule "either everybody plays as an elf or nobody does."
>>
>>46626145
Elves are always disappointment.
>>
File: 1453211982202.png (813KB, 900x662px) Image search: [Google]
1453211982202.png
813KB, 900x662px
Remove the knife-ears.
>>
>>46626119
>Elves as a concept are pretty flawed to put into a game and expect them to be equal to humans.
>In most media, I've seen them being portrayed as these long lived, creatures of beauty and grace. Most being a conduit for magical energies of some kind or another.

Yeah, and that grace and magical talent usually comes at the price of being physically weaker or more frail than a human. It balances out fine... unless you pull a DnD where they can also be super strong, super bulky, and also have random immunities to things that make no sense (why do elves not have to sleep again? They're immune to sleep spells but can pass out when hit hard enough?).
>>
>>46626166
>using a knife
Way to make it drag on for maximum pain.
>>
>>46626166
>Not just executing those dirty knife ears

Fucking liberal priesthood, next they will stop burning witches and heretics.
>>
>>46626093
Well duh. The OP asked why. Because of the influential example that Tolkien set.

Listing every work of fiction that used similar elves since doesn't answer the initial question.
>>
>>46626120
Neither the First nor the Second age were the focus of the books that started the Middle-earth craze.

They've been expanded upon in later books, but the Elves as portrayed in The Lord of the Rings trilogy of books served as the main inspiration for later copycats.
>>
>>46626179
>Yeah, and that grace and magical talent usually comes at the price of being physically weaker or more frail than a human.
That is not necessarily the case.
In 40k for example, the Eldar are at least just as tough and strong than the average human, as well has being faster, longer lived, smarter, and possessing better senses etc. Not to mention the psychic bs they can pull.

And that's not even touching the friggin aspect warriors.
>>
>>46626179
I think elves are highly magical beings and them being all hot and shit back in the day is tightly connected to this. Many setting have magic degenerating and becoming more scarce, mythological beings going extinct. Elves naturally get shafted over time as magic weakens.
>>
What is an elf?
>>
>>46626235
A huge pile of shit.
>>
>>46626179
I personally (an opinion that I probably wrong) think that is a cop-out. I think they shouldn't have to balance out the physical stats of each race.

I thinks elves should just be much better humans. Orcs should be much stronger, and prone to anger humans with various skin tones. Etc. etc.

The only reason for game balance is so the races don't overshadow others when it really just ain't so in my eyes. I think people should be content with the race they play. I you're a human, then you have to be crafty to make up for your shortcomings. If you're an elf, play the stereotype, or make your own as long as it makes sense. It's just a problem of finding people who are willing to play a variety of races and not care about who's stronger.

I mean, it's a role playing game, not a roll playing game.
>>
>>46626235
Xeno scum
>>
>>46626245
You're supposed to get an experience penalty when playing an Elf or Half-Orc to make up for your better stats. You don't learn as fast because shit's easier for you.
>>
>>46626245
I don't think it's necessarily a "balance-only" reason to weaken some of elves' physical stats though.

In many settings, elves are a highly magical race that lives in harmony with their environment, and sometimes one of the more advanced races in the setting.

When you're a race that uses magic, scientific advancements, or generally just doesn't try to sculpt the environment to fit your whims, you don't have any REASON to be physically strong. You're not out there plowing the fields, chopping down trees, digging tunnels through mountains, ect. You've got magic to do those things, whatever passes for "technology" in the setting, or you're simply not doing them at all.
>>
>>46626235
Traditionally, a supernatural being from Germanic mythology and folklore. Precise characteristics vary between legends and time periods. Sometimes, they're seen as god-like. Other times, they're monsters. The general medieval notion of elves seems to be that they're a group of beings with magical powers and supernatural beauty, ambivalent towards everyday people and capable of either helping or hindering them.

Most fantasy games adhere closely to Tolkien's portrayal of elves in the Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>46626266
>Using experience points
>Not giving level ups after plot-arcs or other important story moments.
>Not keeping all the players in the party at a similar level so nobody feels overshadowed or useless.

What did I just read?
>>
>>46626292
>oh noo!!!!! somebody play the game differently than me!!!!
Grow up already.
>>
File: Special Bait Cannon.png (36KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Special Bait Cannon.png
36KB, 800x600px
>>46626310
Dude, what? I didn't even mention a gam-

Oh wait.
Hi again, OP.
>>
>>46626266
That's a nerf that's lore friendly that I could get behind. Then again, my buffs would probably make people froth at the mouth.

I think elves should be more around
+4 Dex or an additional +1 to Dex every 4 levels.
+2 Con
+2 Int
An additional +1 to wisdom every 4 levels.
+2 Cha

This is probably retarded, but this is just my assumption on what elves look like to me as a reader.

No strength, because it doesn't make sense, but extra Dex because they've almost never been described as anything but graceful. Extra Con because it just makes sense that a being with an extended life time would have a tougher immune system. This also include the reason for elevated intelligence. I've never heard of a dumb elf. The wisdom just comes with age, and the charisma is a product of them being almost purely empathetic beings.
>>
>>46626292

Bitch, you're already throwing balance out the fucking window by letting people play their special snowflake cock guzzling race.

So either use a different leveling system to make up for it, or do something like make the race a class instead and they can buy racial attributes as they level instead of starting out with them.

Or you can dogmatically whinge about doing things differently than you always have while ignoring that it's actually creating the game breaking instead of doing it right.
>>
>>46626292
>experience points
>level ups
>players

>I didn't even mention a game

Wat.
>>
>>46626326
>Buff
>Fucking
>EVERYTHING
>>
>>46626292
> What is Level Adjustment

It's specifically designed to deal with this in D&D. If you aren't playing D&D, then why are you having overpowered races?

Do you actually think about the shit you post, or just kind of throw stuff out there and hope nobody calls you on not knowing what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>46626331
Watch out, he'll call you OP too. He does that to everyone each time he get told.
>>
>>46626326
This sort of shit is why I wouldn't let someone play an elf unless they were willing to pretty much never level up.
>>
File: notice.jpg (31KB, 530x300px) Image search: [Google]
notice.jpg
31KB, 530x300px
Remember, /tg/ is the only place where you have to play a Level 0 Human peasant mud-farmer with a ton of penalties, otherwise you're an overpowered mary sue snowflake and your game is irrevocably broken an unbalanced.
>>
>>46626342
Pretty much. Dwarves would have slightly less of a buff and be more Constitution and strength focused. More wisdom to go with the extended life. No Dex or Int.

Orcs
+4 Str
+2 Dex
+4 Con

Humans
6 points, distribute how you wish.
+1 wisdom every 8 levels
>>
>>46626361
Well that's the point. While the more long lived races are going to outshine the humans in the beginning, the Humans quickly grow, an if they survive, they eventually grow so powerful, they outshine the other races in the end.

Life is less of a challenge for the greater races, so they improve vastly slower than the short lived races who face problems as simple as muscle atrophy and disease on a daily basis.
>>
>>46626326
I see the idea behind the rest of the stuff (while that would be unbalanced as PCs, elves generally are supposed to be very agile, smart, wise and charismatic), but not the Con bonus. Elves aren't usually portrayed as being much tougher than humans. In fact, they're usually pretty lightly built. Better immune system would be better represented by giving them resistance or immunity to effect of diseases and poisons.
>>
>>46626434
True enough. My heads too filled with numbers at the moment to come up with a better option. But I wouldn't give them straight up immunity. Something more along the lines of an additional save against contracting them in the first place would be preferred. Unless the intended disease or poison was created for the sole purpose of attacking an elves immune system. Which would probably come in the game as double priced poisons.

Although I think I should also add that they get to make saving throws to recover twice as fast, but while there isn't much lore on the fact, maybe they should just have a harder shield against disease and poison, but if it does get through their immune poison it does hit them like every one else.

Might also debuff them, because being effected by such a thing is a shock to their system.

I don't know, this is probably good enough proof I'm not fit for creating a system for public play.
>>
>>46626368
Well, yes, if that's what everyone else is playing and you just have to be a super special snowflake.

You dumb shithead.

Otherwise you could use the multiple balancing options we've laid out in this thread - if you even bothered to read it.
>>
>>46626368
Pretty much this. Everyone on /tg/ thinks they're a great game designer, but they become so obsessed with balance that they won't be happy with anything that's not as tedious and boring as real life.
>>
File: 019.png (90KB, 288x658px) Image search: [Google]
019.png
90KB, 288x658px
Elves are cute.
>>
File: spurdo fairy.png (81KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo fairy.png
81KB, 600x500px
>>46626235
In Finnish mythology, Elves are akin to elemental spirits, who inhabit shit like fire, forests, lakes, etc, and in a way, give each of those things the qualities they share.

For example, fire burns, because the fire elves living in it are angry and violent by nature.

Finns are elven people.
>>
We shall eliminate stinky knoife ears through superior firepower!
>>
>>46626659
>more likely human male on elfu action
Can we ever have some handsome male elf on lonely female human wank material and stories?
>>
>>46626789
Have some Elven singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD_TIrX7zu0
>>
>>46626849
>elf
>male
Pick one
>>
>>46626879
I dont know what you mean by that. But I just find the typical lovely elf lady hitting on lowborn male hoomans way too common.

Why not more qt elf males having getting it on with lonely female humans.
>>
>>46626849
Just read any female fan fiction and replace the male species with elf. We don't have enough women who browse here who are also writefags to do this.

As far as fetish's go, that's pretty low-rung. Actually, it's pretty normie-tier.
>>
>>46626576
Dude, there's "obsessed with balance" and there's "the rest of the party is superflous".

I mean, did you want to play a game with friends here, or to force them to listen to your shitty fanfiction while going "hurr durr it's not rollplay".

You want to play elves? Fine, everyone plays Elves, or you level the humans up to be comparable badasses. Or give them guns and restrict the elves from playing them.

Nobody said you had to be a level 0 dirt farmer, just that you shouldn't penalize people for not wanting to play "the best" race which, ironically, IS just rollplaying.

And in case I didn't make my feelings clear, you're a complete and total tool with your pretentious "Muh /tg/ is so (x)". This is where we get Time Wizards from you boring ass faggot.
>>
>>46626179
+2 dex, -2 con, dwarves have more racial abilities than elves.
>>
>>46626899
It's funny how you're still convinced everyone to disagree with you is the same person. I've only replied to you about 3 times this entire thread, and one of those was to say the same thing I'm saying this time.
>>
>>46626849
>Can we ever have some handsome male elf on lonely female human wank material and stories?
We literally have a novel about that.
http://www.amazon.com/Taken-Dark-Elves-Jet-Mykles-ebook/dp/B0033AGQ34

I'd post the cover art but I'm afraid that violates the rules of this board. And those who do it for free are very zealous today it seems.
>>
>>46626924
Back at you, since I've only posted twice.
>>
>>46626924
Looks like >>46626354 was right about you.

Inb4 "Totally not me, man". Because if it's not you, it's just as bad since we already pointed this out as the post of a faggot and you're just repeating his mistake.
>>
From the perspective of a Pathfinder (I know, I know, in b4 "play another game") player, people saying elves are overpowered is weird to me... it's humans and their ability to do ANYTHING that are the overpowered class, meanwhile Elves kinda suck for anything that's not Wizard/Sorceror/Witch/Warlock/Magus.
>>
>>46625983
I like em how they are in Tokien, who really based them on the Irish Sidhe: Straight up better than humans since they're essentially demigods.
>>
>>46626789
Elves are mildly autistic alcoholics who hate outsiders?
>>
>>46627113
Elvish Druid will oust any Human martial.
>>
>>46627158
You're thinking dwarves, who were actually considered elves in the original definition of the word; meaning non-divine, non-demonic magical entities.
>>
>>46627148
And yet with flawed characters, able to fail, what a lot of people don't seem to get.

Sometimes I think reading the Silmarillion should requirement for posting on this board.
>>
>>46627198
Well all their flaws are magnified with how ridiculously strong they are.
>Muh Simarills
>>
File: Gondolin.jpg (244KB, 1012x757px) Image search: [Google]
Gondolin.jpg
244KB, 1012x757px
>>46625928
>talk about elves
>clearly didn't even read

Get the fuck out
>>
>>46627347
Make me. Oh, right, you can't, because you're just a pathetic nobody.
>>
>>46627148
Also humans of earlier ages could go toe to toe with them and elvish powerlvels degraded with each passing age, doing the "humans, but different" right for once.
>>
Is it rape if it is an elf?
>>
>>46627866
No, it's bestiality.
>>
>>46627891
Isn't bestiality considered rape because animals can't consent?
>>
>>46627922
Animals can't refuse.
>>
>>46627922

Depends on where you live.
>>
>>46627922
Animals aren't legal persons. They're personalty, personal property, so it's an offense akin to conversion or trespass, violence against property.
That being said, it's usually criminally proscribed as well, in a number of ways (bestiality, cruelty, etc., depending on the whims of whoever made the code in question.)
>>
File: Eskarne.jpg (2MB, 3000x4624px) Image search: [Google]
Eskarne.jpg
2MB, 3000x4624px
>>46625928
Elves back then represented a fey, pre-human race fading from the world because their time had passed. A sort of early 20th century notion of purity and societal decay.

Elves these days are invariably there to convey a sense of racial tension. They're either a way to make white people feel jealous of another race, or to stand in for the jews as the token oppressed people with a beautiful culture that nobody understands.
>>
>>46627967
They can bite you in the dick.
>>
>>46625986
Tolkien doesn't strive for balance between the species, though. Elves >>>> Humans.
>>
Elves should not be a PC race period.

You have to water them down to crap to make it remotely fair.
>>
If elves are so ancient how come they don't have guns?
>>
>>46629366
Because they're retards.
>>
>>46629366
They're literally so wise that they know they're in a fantasy story so they stick to bows
>>
>be elf
>live centuries
>see generations of humans come and go like it's nothing
>be 500 years old
>lvl. 1

Elves are objectively a race of retards
>>
Oh boy, the quality of this thread has dropped significantly since the ebin raep-meme has been mentioned.
>>
>>46629441
[/thread]
>>
>>46629366
Because their concept of time is so diluted they take literal weeks just to make a simple choice
>>
>>46629441
The problem is that fluff-wise elves are basically just better humans in every way, yet mechanically have to be balanced against humans as a character option. This is where you get the stupid low-birth rates versus "muh adaptable" shit that tries to justify humans ruling in a world where everything is stronger, smarter, and/or faster than them. Of course this goes out the window in a system like D&D because humans are always mechanically the strongest race.

The correct answer would be to tone down the fluff to match the crunch so you don't have to make up bullshit excuses.

>>46629458
Only slightly less shit than general dwarf-faggotry and HFY
>>
>>46626235
A miserable little pile of shitposting material!
>>
>>46625928
Have you tried not playing D&D?
>>
>>46629540
Its just an inherent problem.

Dwarves can be mostly true to their roots while being on a level with humans for party balance purposes, elves simply can't without being watered down.

Just make true elves NPC's, add a race of fae touched humans if people really need it and things get much better.
>>
Elf wat do meme needs to fucking die.
enough.
>>
>>46629714
I don't see what's so overpowered about +2 DEX, especially if you give them less CON or something like this.
>>
>>46629776
Inherit magic resistance? Immunity to sleep? Resistance to mind affecting spells?

Elves are the only basic race to have all these king of things.
If you want sonething similar, you need to pick a race that is at least lvl adjustment 4
>>
>>46629857
>Inherit magic resistance?
Not every setting is D&D. Easy to homebrew out.

>Immunity to sleep?

>Resistance to mind affecting spells?

As some other anons in this thread have already mentioned, even in D&D human characters tend to become the strongest ones. But correct me if I'm wrong on this. I get the feeling that you just don't want elves in your games, or players picking them.
>>
>>46629857
IN 3.PF, magic resistance is something unique to drow, and it's something that's far more likely to fuck you over than help. And those magical resistances are there to make elves a viable alternative to the omnipresent mary-sue race in D&D that is humans. Those magic resistances are STILL barely equal out against a floating +2, bonus feat, and bonus skill point per level.
>>
>>46625970
>I don't know any setting where elves don't have problem reproducing.

Lord of the Rings, you sperglord.

The Elves are not dying out, they are LEAVING. Making kids was never the problem, they just got a free pass to go live with the gods again and the last time they lived with the gods was fucking awesome. The only Elves left on Middle Earth are the sticks in the mud who wanted to stay as long as possible, but Middle Earth isn't as fun without the company of other Elves and the Gods are getting impatient and are threatening the close the door and trap them on this side if they don't hurry their elf asses up.

So the Elves are, by and large, just packing up and moving to a better neighborhood. One without filthy humans and orcs.
>>
>>46629776
You are missing the point, if elves have to be watered down from their origins to fit in the game then they should not be included as a PC race.
>>
>>46630036

Its pretty much for that exact reason why, when I was introducing new players to DnD, I forbid Elves as a PC race. That way, when Elves did show up, I could make them as powerful as they are supposed to be without shattering suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>46630036
I don't see a problem with this. Tolkien doesn't have a monopoly on elves and I want to play my pretty dex-based good-at-magic race.
>>
>>46626235
food
>>
>>46626266
Half-orc
>shits easier
'ere we go
>>
>>46626633
cute for eating
>>
>>46629929
I think it has to do with people wanting to stick to the source material too closely, which has elves as naturally superior creatures. This applies to whether you take traditional folklore or Tolkien's übermenschen as your prime source. This however contradicts with the core aspect of player races where your options are somehow supposed to be on equal footing as to not make one choice too popular among rulelawyering minmaxers and rolewanking special snowflakes.

Frankly I think it's not so bad when we actually perceive everything in an "age of heroes" fashion where even humans were capable of spectacular feats. putting them on equal footing with the other "larger than life" playerraces.
>>
>>46630024
Nah they are just prepping up for the Ragnarok
>>
>>46626180
Because they must suffer for their sins of birth before being blessed in the Grace of the Lord
>>
>>46629441
>>lvl. 1

Thats just a D&D being shit problem bro.
>>
File: 1460059188580.jpg (154KB, 878x518px) Image search: [Google]
1460059188580.jpg
154KB, 878x518px
>>46625928
>>
>>46626141
They didn't stop breeding, they're just fucking off to a place where they don't have to put up with orcs and shit.

By the beginning Lord of the Rings pretty much 99% of the elves are having cool parties and doing coke with the Valar. By the end of Lord of the Rings they have all fucked off. Any elves who decided to stay behind eventually become immaterial spirit things.
>>
>>46627148
>I like em how they are in Tokien, who really based them on the Irish Sidhe

He didn't do anything of the kind. Elves are creatures of germanic myth and english folklore, the sort of thing Tolkien was an expert in thanks to his studies in Old English. He didn't need to go looking abroad for inspiration and I don't really think he knew the first thing about gaelic fairies.
>>
>>46629366
They find the industry that would be required to support them disasteful, they're not prepared to restructure their whole society to manufacture things like that when they find bows meet all their killing needs adequately.

I mean this sort of thing is exactly what they find so distasteful in goblins.
>>
>>46630976
That's a very flattering take on /tg/
>>
>>46631186
Read the Book of Invasions. The elves n Tolkien acted much like the noble tribes of Tuatha or even the Vanir of Norse myth rather than the elves of English and Germanic myth.
>>
>>46628333
that was the point, I think, trips
>>
Redpill me on elves /tg/. Is racemixing with them degenerate?
>>
>>46631488
Fuck off.
>>
>>46629929
>SPECIALLY in D&D human characters tend to become the strongest ones
FTFY
>>
>>46631488
In the Norse mythology, Dwarfes mixed races with human and elves.
>>
>>46631341
I meant Germanic in the broad sense - the Alfar and Vanir are of course direct antecedents of Tolkien's elves and Valar.

If you've read Leabhar Gabála then fair play, I'm impressed, but I'm not really seeing the similarities between the Tuatha Dé Danann and elves as Tolkien describes them, at least any more than what you'd find in fairy stories the world over. I guess the idea that there was a magical people who used to rule all of this country but you rarely run into them now is fairly characteristic of the Irish story, but I'm not convinced it's more than a coincidence.
>>
>>46630976
I chuckled.

So
>rape
/tg/?
>>
>>46626235
A tall dwarf without a beard or a proper axe, who fights with strange one-handed ballistas
>>
>>46631855
The Tuatha were a race of semi-divine lords and sorcerers that fought in cataclysmic battles preceding the time of humans, much like the elves in LotR. Also they were great shipwrights and sailed out of the world once they were done with what they had to do.
The Alfar in Norse myth play a much more passive role rather than the Aesir and the Vanir who guide humanity through their deeds and errors.
>>
>>46631679
In the Norse mythology, Dwarf was synonymous with Drow and Troll.
>>
>>46631488
No, I'm pretty sure that's where a bunch of heroes came from.
>>
>>46625928
Because they decided to make them balanced against humans and whatnot.

Tolkein's Elves, in the First Age, were closer to Solar Exalted in ability and theme than D&D's elves.

D&D kept all the arrogance while removing all of the incredible ability.
>>
>>46626179
>Yeah, and that grace and magical talent usually comes at the price of being physically weaker or more frail than a human.
No it doesn't. This is only the case in shit like D&D, where their DEX bonus has to be balanced out by a CON penalty.
>>
>>46626245
>I thinks elves should just be much better humans
This is literally how it worked in BECMI and the like. "Elf" was a playable class, with stat minimums. The best-of-the-best human was better than the average elf (and perhaps even better than the best elf), but the crappiest elf was better than the average human, thanks to those stat minimums.
>>
>>46631998
I chuckled
>>
>>46626073

A fun workaround I made for that is the Elves of my setting are extra-dimensional invaders, with the majority of their population on the moon. They tried to colonize the planet way back in the day, but the dragons saw through their tricks and kicked their asses back to the moon and far reaches of the polar caps.

Nowadays you have what are essentially three "types" of Elf; you've got the diaspora which live in elf-friendly nations and are incredibly uncommon do in large part to their popularity as partners and low reproduction rate (due to the same reasons modern Western nations have low birth rates), you've got the Polar Elves that are limited due to the shitty land and are currently invading down South into Not!Poland-Lithuania, and you've got the Moon Elves who are numerous but can't actually Gate down to the surface anymore unless it's a new moon, and even then in low numbers (these Elves go on Wild Hunts, exterminating villages and taking prisoners.)
>>
Elves shouldn't be better than humans objectively. There should be things they're better at doing than others, like everyone else has their strengths. Elves traditionally in RPGs were a hybrid of the fighter and the magic user.
>>
>>46632581
>Also they were great shipwrights and sailed out of the world once they were done with what they had to do.

They were defeated in battle by the Milesians and forced to retreat to the forts under the ground, which is why the conventional story has it that the Aos Sí live within hills.

There are parallels but I think it's contentious to say that Tolkien took them as a model for his mythology, when he explicitly acknowledged most of his sources.
>>
>>46625970
I think there are a couple billion Abh, at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abh
>>
>>46628277
Aren't dwarves the Jews, though? Wealthy, stoic, traditional society that prefer to keep to themselves and have a fixation on facial hair?
>>
>>46633637
You take that back, you double goy.
>>
File: 516px-OoT_Link_Portrait.png (384KB, 516x599px) Image search: [Google]
516px-OoT_Link_Portrait.png
384KB, 516x599px
>>46625928
Are Hylains elves?
>>
>>46633743
>wimps
>lazy
>brreds like rabbit
>except for that one guy who has to fix everything and never get to D the princess
I'd say to closer to to somethong else.
>>
>>46633637
In Tolkien they certainly had a lot of Jewish traits and inspiration, though there we have the unusual situation of one of the biggest, most visible parts of that inspiration - the wandering nature and a historic homeland that they were expelled from and no longer inhabit - doesn't really exist any more in the culture that the inspiration was being drawn from
>>
>>46633783
Wimps? Lazy? Compared to what? The humans who don't do anything either?
>>
>>46633932
There are no humans in Zelda.
>>
>>46633961
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Human
>>
>>46633961
Some Zelda games do have both pointy-eared Hylians and non-pointy-eared humans. There doesn't really seem to be much distinction between the two (unlike, say, the Gerudo, who are treated as a separate race despite also being pretty much humans with minor differences in appearance), aside from the pointiness of ears.
>>
>>46633216
Yeah, but I'm just saying that Tolkien's elves have more in common with the divinity of Norse and Irish myth than the elves of German and English folklore.
>>
>>46634236
Supposedly the Hylains are more prone to magic, live longer, and their pointier ears allow them to hear messages from the goddesses.
Also, they might be stronger, or that might just be a game mechanic.
>>
>>46629540
Or tone up the crunch to match the fluff, which would be the Pro-Fun choice of action.
>>
>>46630054
This. I just make them all supergods from another dimension.
>>
>>46633033
Sounds somewhat dope.
>>
>>46625928
because they didn't die in a magick war against the demon overlords, cleansing the world of 99% of all magic and thus sacrificing themselves for the greater good of all sentient races, even the slave races created by the demons mine did, that's why they're the only good elves.
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.