[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am i doing GMing wrong? At this point 80% of the plot hooks,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1453162731312.png (687KB, 1000x780px) Image search: [Google]
1453162731312.png
687KB, 1000x780px
Am i doing GMing wrong? At this point 80% of the plot hooks, plot twists and story has been improv right during the session with only a little prepped background. Also more than half the encounters are improv right before or during the session, encounters take an entirely different direction because i didn't expect my players to do something so i just improv that too. Everything i do, that the players like, is improv. And everything that goes by the book is mediocre at best according to the players. Pic unrelated.
>>
sounds like you are doing it right
>>
>>46518146
If the players are enjoying your game, you aren't GMing wrong.
>>
>>46518146
No you're doing it right.
>>
>>46518146
If your players enjoy it, you're doing it right.
If you're also able to improv well, you're doing it even better.
>>
>>46518146
What do you mean when you say "by the book"?
Because premade modules are generally poorly written and terribly inconstant or shallow.
Anyway, improvising content is actually how the game works best, provided you can do it well.
Just remember:
1. Read the group. Don't try to force scenes that can't or won't work in the moment.
2. Shit's gotta make sense in context. There can only be so many coincidences and moments of exquisite timing before it all feels fake.
3. The world keeps turning, even without the PCs. Make sure to keep track of that.
>>
>>46518146
>everything I do the player like

OP that is literally the definition of DMing right
>>
>>46518146
>lady version of those flamboyant mercenaries
>EQUALLY HOT
Holy shit no wonder those guys dressed up in that shit.

It's a sex magnet.
>>
Actually improvisation is a definition of good GMing. If you create that "super awesome" story for your players in advance, there's a big chance that all of it will be wasted should players decide otherwise and you definitely don't want to go for railroading.
>>
>>46518146
Either you don't know that you are an amazing DM that manages to do the best shit with little to no effort or you came here acting all innocent so we can give you a praise-blowjob on your inginuety.

Whatever, keep doing what you're doing and have fun along with your group.
>>
>>46518146
If players like it, you're doing fine.

Improv vs prep is a sliding scale based on your skill, they aren't inherently right or wrong
Don't worry, keep doing what you're doing.
>>
What system are you using?
>>
>>46518834
Running of the shadow kind, 5th iteration of it.

SR5
>>
>>46518146
At the end of the day man, the job is to have fun with the players. As long as you're doing that, you're doing your job.
>>
>>46518146

Is that kingess half-pantsing?
>>
>>46518146
Depends. If you and your players are having fun, you are doing it right.
Who cares how you accomplish it?
There´s no single right way to GM, just like there´s no single right way to have fun.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.