[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My online GM has a terrible habit of referring to everyone as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

My online GM has a terrible habit of referring to everyone as male. EVERYONE.

We have female players in the group. He calls them "sir" and refers to them with male pronouns.
We have female PCs in the party. The GM also calls them by male pronouns and describes them as "men."
He's a native English speaker.

Three sessions into the game and literally every NPC is male, not a single woman in sight.

The GM just says "Sorry, force of habit" and promises to correct himself whenever we bring it up. We've seen no signs of it changing.

I'm seriously considering leaving the game because it's really annoying and immersion-breaking. Is it something petty to leave a game for?
>>
Are they a competent GM apart from that? That seems a bizarre and specific blind spot to have.
>>
File: triggered.png (463KB, 499x501px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.png
463KB, 499x501px
>>46493019
>>
>>46493050
Kinda mediocre. Not terrible, but not really "good."
>>
>triggered
>>
>>46493019
>My online GM has a terrible habit of referring to everyone as male. EVERYONE.
He's either doing it on purpose, or a literal retard. Sever all ties ASAP.
>>
nice blog.
>>
>>46493019
Grow a spine you fucking pansy
>>
>>46493019
Maybe every woman in the setting is actually futanari and this is GMs way of hinting at the fact.
>>
>>46493188
Would only work if they're shemales. Futa still have their lady equipment.
>>
>>46493019
Is he WRITING this, or SAYING this?
Like, are you play with a mic or just text media?
If the latter and he just met all of you, he might honestly just be tripping up or tripping over himself tryharding to GM things. Afterall, unless your screenname is prettygirl23 or something, when he looks at anon how is he going to know if girl or boy?

Judging by everything else, it sounds like he's just a mediocre GM who is throwing generic NPCs and things in without thinking too much about social aspects of the game - is it mostly hack and slash?

Either case, you can clarify things yourself next session by attempting in character to go find some female NPCs. "I'm going to go to the bar and flag down the barmaid."
"No barmaids here, anon."
"Well, when I step out on the streets, are there any ladies out and about?"
"Nope, Anon. Men for miles. This is sausageville. There are no ladies."
>leave the game.
>>
>>46493019
"He" is a perfectly good gender-neutral way to refer to people on the Internet.
There are no girls on the Internet, and all that.
This thread is pure bait, but I thought I would answer seriously for once.
Polite sage.
>>
>>46493019
Just as a side note, if the GM is actually addressing the players, female or otherwise, as "sir" he sounds quite polite. There's nothing improper with addressing a lady as "sir" in this day and age. A bit formal perhaps, but if you just met online, seems well mannered.
>>
>>46493290
Writing.
>>
>>46493019
>We have female players in the group. He calls them "sir" and refers to them with male pronouns.
>We have female PCs in the party. The GM also calls them by male pronouns and describes them as "men."
Are the female characters played by the female players?
>>
>referring to peasants as sir

What an upjumped villein, I'm scandalized by this flagrant and disrespectful egotistical display. Not a one of you is a Sir earned by any right, and you should be referred to as goodmen as God intended.
>>
>>46493019
I'm trying to wrap my head around a sentence where the GM uses "men" when addressing the PCs.
PCs: "We go to the inn."
GM: "You men go to the inn."
Native speaker would say "You/You all go to the inn."
Doesn't compute. Need examples, OP.
>>
>>46493295
That's true for anons but imagine someone who knew you were a guy calling you she all the time.

Wouldn't you be confused?
>>
>>46493412
"You are a brave man."
>>
>>46493435
On the Internet, I don't care.
It's impolite in RL, but the only time your sex should come up in the discussion is when you present anecdotal evidence (i.e. "I'm a girl, and this happened to me and the fact that I'm a girl is relevant to the story").
In any case other than the one above, I don't care what you got between your legs, as long as we can talk and understand each other.
So, on the Internet, there are no girls.
We might be discussing computers or books or cooking or tabletop games, and I will not care what pronoun you use, unless it's something silly and not a word like "zir" or some shit.
You right now might be talking to a girl, and not realizing it, yknow. And the best part? I don't have to tell you whether I'm a girl, because it's NOT. RELEVANT. TO. DISCUSSION.
>>
>>46493019
Admittedly, I have the bad habit of referring to groups of people as "you guys" even if they're all girls. I'm trying to remember to switch over to "you gals," but sometimes it still slips out.

Having all NPCs as male is really weird, though.
>>
>>46493629
Stick with "You guys" when adressing a group of girla. "You gals" sounds seriously autistic.
>>
>>46493658
Ya'll is the superior second person pronoun.
>>
>>46493072
>Kinda mediocre. Not terrible, but not really "good."
>>46493447
>"You are a brave man."

Sounds pretty generic. Maybe even just module text or from a script that he's already written and following to the letter. Might be a bit of a sperg who can't juggle too many things at once, so he's dropping the balls at the parts where normal people improvise and tweak things to keep the social details correct.
Kind of like those GMs that never remember PC names.

If it's a big problem for you, figure out what the breaking point is.
Or maybe take it as a cue to start playing your female character more like Mulan.
>>
>>46493658
>>46493720
The solution is to bring back thou and turn you into a second person plural or formal singular pronoun again.

Some trivia. Thou used to sound just like you as in "thoo".
>>
>>46493357

When addressing a superior officer in a structured organization like a police precinct or the military, "Sir" is a gender-neutral pronoun used for both male and female officers. Not sure if it's also correct to say "Ma'am" when referring to a female superior officer, but I've heard it used both ways without complaint.

I honestly just default my titles and ranks to gender-neutral. Keeps the rank structure intact and without having two different words for the same rank.
>>
>>46493906
Really? When I dropped my brother off at the base after his Marine bootcamp we met this butch ass lady officer. He couldn't tell she was a girl so he kept calling her "sir". After the third time she got mad and said "I'm not a man, private."
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.