[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to be starting a new game of 5e soon, and I need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

File: Doublizard.gif (2KB, 112x64px) Image search: [Google]
Doublizard.gif
2KB, 112x64px
I'm going to be starting a new game of 5e soon, and I need to break the game as early as possible.

What are some ways to break the game in early play? I'm talking levels 1-4. I know that people have come up with all sorts of power builds for 20th level, but I know for a fact this game isn't going to last that long.
>>
>>46444987
Why do you want to break it?
>>
I find its easier to break the GM then it is to break the game.
>>
First off: fuck you you powergaming faggot.

Second: Warlock with Imp familiar is pretty good at low levels. You'll most likely dominate any scene you damn well please, as the imp is great at infiltration/scouting as well as fighting, and you got the social stuff covered yourself. And you don't run out of spells. It doesn't scale tho.
>>
>>46445048
>>46445077
I'm a bit of a forever GM in my group. We started a new campaign recently, and I've been fiddling with things to try to get them a certain way.

One thing that I wanted to do was have there be a bit more of an old school survival focus, so I'm using things like rolling random encounters, keeping track of turns, etc. To aid this, I added some new rules on wilderness survival.

One problem was that we have a druid, who knows the spell goodberry. I came up with some modifications so that it can fit into the campaign a little better, and he told me to fuck off. One thing led to another, and now he's going to be DMing and I'll be playing.

Thus, it's imperative that I come up with the most obnoxious, gamebreaking bullshit that I can.
>>
>>46445292

That's a really awful reason. What were the changes you forced upon Goodberry?
>>
>>46445526
GOODBERRY
1st-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a sprig of mistletoe)
Duration: Instantaneous
1d10 berries appear in your hand and are infused with magic for the duration. A creature can use its action to eat one berry. Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides nourishment equivalent to one pound of food.
A creature other than the spell caster may safely consume only one berry in a 24 hour period. If any more than this are consumed, that creature must make a Constitution saving throw against the caster’s spell save DC for each berry consumed after the first. On a failure, the creature vomits, losing any consumed food and gaining a level of exhaustion.
The berries lose their potency if they have not been consumed within 24 hours of the casting of the spell.

My main intention was so that they wouldn't have an automatic source of food, and would need to plan ahead before traveling a long distance. So it could be used in a pinch, but you wouldn't be able to use it as a reliable source of food.

Also, I should add that one of the other rules that I added (and which everyone else in the group already agreed to) was to do with food. The book states that a character needs one pound of food per day. I added onto that that if a character needs to recover hit points or spellslots during a long rest, they need to eat two pounds of food that day. The idea there was to encourage resource management, and why I specify the amount of food that goodberry provides.
>>
>>46445652
Kinda dickish, given that exhaustion is stupid hard to get rid of. His reaction was probably a bit too much, but still. Don't be a dick. Give his game a try.
>>
>>46445942
What about other than that bit?
>>
>>46446020
Well, given that druids are supposed to be at home in the wild, adept at nature magic, etc, he probably figured that being a druid would allow the party to focus on more important things while a daily casting of this spell allowed them to continue on. Instead, it's now enough to feed himself and keep one person barely alive. I could see him being upset.
>>
>>46446060
If the druid takes the outlander background he can just do it anyway.

So it's a pointless change.
>>
>>46446060
>>46446094
Well this is all well and good, but none of this gets me any closer to fucking up his game.
>>
>>46445292
>old school survival focus
>in D&D
>the game with Create or Destroy Water, Create Food and Water, Goodberry, Purify Food and Drink, and probably others I'm not thinking of all as low level spells
You're a class-A retard, D&D is not an everything-system.
>>
so you're just going to be that guy out of spite? lame and immature.
>>
>>46446094
Also, we'd already changed how the outlander feature worked so that he just had advantage on foraging rolls. We'd been fucking around with systems within the game for a while.

>>46446173
Yeah, all of those take resources and energy to cast, which is exactly what I'm trying to get them to manage.
>>
>>46446201
This right here

Christ OP sounds like a cunt
>>
>>46445652
That's silly, and establishes you as a bad DM that doesn't know wtf he's doing with the mechanics - at that point removing you from the dm's screen is the merciful thing to do.
You aren't changing the flavor, but the power level... of GOODBERRY, of all things.
>>
>>46445652
Why would becoming a better spellcaster mean you make shittier food? I'd be mad too.
>>
>>46446226
Purify food and drink is a ritual spell with no somatic components, so all they need is muddy water, a half rotten corpse, and an hour and they're fine, and while the spell is casting they all get short rests, so no, there's really nothing there to manage.
>>
>>46446279
>somatic
Oops, I meant material.
>>
>>46446253
>>46446264
None of this was set in stone, and I was willing to compromise on f it until he acted like a fucking cunt. Now I'm just returning the favor.
>>
>>46446301
You sound like you're 12 MATO
>>
>>46446279
>>46446297
>durr hurr, purifying something is thte same as making it
fuck off
>>
>>46446301
go with a combat druid, that's probably the most powerful build at low level.
dip life cleric, so each goodberry heals 40 hps, for maximum spite.

anyway, you're a sad cunt, and will be happier not playing in that game, don't do this to yourself.
>>
>>46446375
It's not hard to find some form of water or a dead animal in most places.
>>
>>46446301
do you realize how immature you're acting about this?

Just give his game a try without being a complete dick about it. You might even enjoy yourself.

Also if you changed the Goodberry mechanics AFTER the player picked it, then that's just straight up being a dick.

If you really wanted to nerf Goodberry, just make Mistletoe hard to come by.
>>
Well the OP is a faggot, but for what it's worth there really isn't a way to break the game by level 4 anyway unless "breaking the game" requires bizarrely specific conditions like the case with OP's arch nemesis goodberry
>>
>>46446449
>when goodberries turn bad
>>
>>46446439
Druids don't pick spells, they have access to all spells on their list. They only choose which ones to prepare for the day.

Also, making mistletoe hard to find doesn't make a difference because they have a druidic focus.

Not really seeing why people are getting so assblasted about the DM trying to make a small change to a spell. I just wanted to make overland travel matter.
>>
>>46446475
\thread
>>
Every single thread that starts with "How early can I break [system]" is usually ones where the OP is a faggot.

Just play the game like a decent person and fuck off with your petty bullshit. Especially if you actually are a Forever GM, appreciate the fact someone else is stepping up and you get to play a character for a change of pace.
>>
>>46446535
Well of course it comes off that way. The whole post just implies that he's full of salt, ignorant of the system, and too lazy to figure anything out himself
>>
>>46446535
>>46446734
Hey fuck you guys. I don't have a problem with goodberry in theory, but the fact that the player disobeyed me pissed me off. He needs to be punished, and I'm just trying to figure out a way to do it effectively within the system.
>>
>>46448179
5e is not built for survival. You are That DM. The first step to recovery is admitting it.
>>
>>46448755
Well maybe it should be.
>>
>>46448831
5e is fantasy simplified, if you want an ultra complex broken system with tons of fanmade homebrew for any situation, Pathfinder and 3.5 are right over there next to the trash bins.
>>
>>46448917
>recommending 3.5 for survival

That's just as bad. 3.PF has plenty of options but that's to make ridiculous high power leveled campaigns.
>>
File: 1455110534967.jpg (48KB, 536x428px) Image search: [Google]
1455110534967.jpg
48KB, 536x428px
>>46448917
Are you a moron? Pathfinder is even WORSE for survival if anything. 5e at least has a power level more on par with OD&D.

Besides that, he doesn't seem to be talking about adding complex broken systems. Sounds more like he's looking for a simple survival mechanic. Being an immense faggot about it, sure, but that's what he's looking for.
>>
>>46449006
So you want ridiculously low powered campaigns? You must be a popular dm.
>>
>>46448179
This whole thread, but particularly this post, is That Guy incarnate. If at any point you, as a DM, think 'this player needs to be punished', step away from the table. But then again, you're playing a 'hardcore survival' hack of 5e, so you were probably retarded long before you became belligerent.
>>
>>46449095
No, but if the objective is some shitty survival campaign then the most over the top edition of D&D is not a good choice. I'm a different anon. What OP should do is just not run D&D if he wants his epic survival game.
>>
>>46444987
What the fuck is wrong with you? Why?

>>46445292
Oh. You're a massive faggot.

Never come close to me or my friends' games.
>>
>>46446117
Fuck off. You shouldn't purposely fuck with anyone's game, even if your mad at them. Your mad for a stupid bullshit reason anyway. You are a problem, I don't know why your players play with you when you are such a massive faggot That Guy. And worse, one who thinks it's justified. Go to hell.
>>
>>46449280

Random anon cruising through here, what sort of system better represents this kind of thing? I might be interested in a game that lets me run some harder survival rolls and rewards smarter playing and resource management to a degree.
>>
Simply put, there is no way. 5E is very, very balanced in the early levels. Shenanigans only start to accrue around level 17.
I guess if you take Life Cleric 1 + Druid 1, you can have really effective healing with your Druid spell slots by having each Goodberry you create heal 4 HP, thereby having a large source of pseudo-potions for the party. However, you lose the main advantage of being a Life Cleric (heavy armor proficiency) since Druids don't wear metal, so you're better off just leveling as Druid from there, and you'll be one level behind for preparing spells. (On the curve for spell slots, at least.)
>>
>>46450117
I can't name any made specifically for that but most generic systems can be used to homebrew it well. Crunchier games at times too.

GURPS is good for this. Early Fallout has a history with it even. It's true that it's crunchier than D&D but all this means in practice is that you deal with + modifiers being mixed with - more often and there are more (sometimes optional rulesets) rolls in combat (for good reason because it doesn't use silly shit like AC to handle defense). But crunch is not a bad thing in a survival game it also means more options. It's an entirely pointbuy based system and the power level is determined by how many points you give out. The only problem with GURPS is that's it's very DIY and you aren't even supposed to allow everything from the corebook (duh) and need to ban certain advantages (feats) in advance, but gritty and highly lethal survival is one thing the system can do well without much effort.
>>
>>46450117
All Flesh Must Be Eaten is specifically about isolated survival, albeit in a zombie apocalypse.
>>
>>46450406

I apologize if I'm not a fan of zombies.

>>46450384

Sounds pretty neat, I might have to consider GURPS as a staple system. Good advice with not allowing a lot of stuff from Core in, and DIY sounds like a good idea for someone who likes building an RPG to suit the need but hates having to do all the work making and balancing it from scratch.
>>
>>46450450
>I apologize if I'm not a fan of zombies.
Not everyone is, hence the "albeit".
Still, it's a system. With some tweaking, you can make it about any hostile territory. Zombies can be particularly vicious bears and wolves in the right light.
>>
File: whythefuck.jpg (35KB, 415x503px) Image search: [Google]
whythefuck.jpg
35KB, 415x503px
>>46444987
You polluted the /5EG/ with this and already posted another thread about this. Fuck off, stop being a baby, stop making this thread, and just quit the fucking game instead of being a total autist
>>
>>46450581
Links? I need to see this.
>>
>>46444987
make a quest where the players are hired by some dude and have nice jobs and say something like "and the adventure will go on"
>>
>>46450117
Torchbearer is the game you want. It's 'fantasy fucking Vietnam' style fantasy inspired by old DnD.

---
To answer OP - Halfling Moon Druid, take Lucky feat at level 4.
>>
>>46452531
quote from the first page of Torchbearer -
>Torchbearer is a riff on the early model of fantasy roleplaying games. In it, you take on the role of a fortune-seeking adventurer. To earn that fortune, you must explore forlorn ruins, brave terrible monsters and retrieve forgotten treasures.
>However, this game is not about being a hero. It is not about fighting for what you believe. This game is about exploration and survival.
>You may become a hero. You might have to fight for your ideals. But to do either of those things, you must prove yourself in the wilds.
>Because there are no jobs, no inheritance, no other opportunities for deadbeat adventurers like you. This life is your only hope to survive this world.

Basically, whenever someone says "hey tg what's a game like Darkest Dungeon" the answer is Torchbearer, at least in terms of mood.
>>
>>46448179
Jesus christ, what an enormous, power hungry cunt you are. You're literally the most toxic excuse of a human being i've come across on this board. I really do hope your druid will nail his session and your hopefully soon to be ex-group will kick you out.
>>
>I'm going to be starting a new game of 5e soon, and I need to break the game as early as possible.
No you don't, stop being a That Guy.
>>
>>46448179
>He needs to be punished
No, you need to stop acting like a brat.
>>
>>46446475
I lol'd.
>>
>>46451562
Said the samefagging OP, furiously deleting his previous posts.
>>
>>46454791
OP here, that's not me. Also haven't deleted anything.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.