[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/. New 40K player here please don't stone me. I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: Sister_of_Battles_in_Combat.jpg (865KB, 713x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Sister_of_Battles_in_Combat.jpg
865KB, 713x1023px
Hey /tg/. New 40K player here please don't stone me. I have a question about Matt Ward. Why the fuck does he seem to hate the Sisters of Battle so much?

I know this may be old news, but it is new to me. I'm reading through some codex bits, and it really feels like anything this guy doesn't personally like (SoB) get horribly shat upon. Am I imagining things?

I swear I'm not baiting. Just new.
>>
female soldiers irk some people
>>
>>46386341
But their faction was already so richly developed in the lore, with its own structure, theming, politics, and history.

Why butcher something like that? It just lessens the overall game and world.
>>
File: 1453100562865s.jpg (3KB, 88x125px) Image search: [Google]
1453100562865s.jpg
3KB, 88x125px
>>46386311
Yeah, 40k has had this bad habit of using Sisters as the general butt-monkey for a while now. Matt Ward is the most notorious for the whole "Grey Knights of Blood" thing, but they job pretty frequently in the fluff. To wit, their most famous events are: Winning the Ecclesiarchal Civil War/Ending the Reign of Blood (with help from the Custodes and Space Marines), getting chopped up by Grey Knights, getting massacred by Necrons, and getting BTFO'd by Space Wolves when they tried to convert Fenris. Losing isn't a problem, lots of factions have great fluff about being horribly defeated. The trouble is that there aren't a lot of big events where the Sisters really kick ass and show why they're important. I'm hoping the Witch Hunter codex will come back some day and they'll get some high profile fluff that emphasizes cool stuff they've done.
>>
File: 1443751020411.png (864KB, 764x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1443751020411.png
864KB, 764x1080px
>>46386423
Shit! ANTS! Here, have a different picture! I shall scourge myself in penance and beg our Martyred Lady's forgiveness.
>>
>>46386423
Yeah, I just got done watching this guy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BfqZIyqZf4

and based on it, it seems to me that they were pretty badass and unique (ish). They occupied their own niche within the lore, serving as the military branch of the Ecclesiarchy. They weren't a legion, no. But they commanded respect and offered vital support to the whole of the Imperium outside of the Adeptus Astartes. It just doesn't make sense to me that any writer or world-builder would utterly destroy such an interesting aspect of their world.
>>
>>46386423
At one point they actively hunted Marines that went off the Reservation, but this was also at a time (Rogue Trader) when Marines were basically jumped up Storm Troopers with power Armor and like, one point more of strength than usual. (Not even T4. But then, this was an era in Fantasy when a lot of "strong human types" like Knights and either Marauders or Chaos Warriors I think? Had the same thing. S4, T3.)

Power armor was also more shit then too, although IIRC you could also layer it some and you'd be nuts to "only" wear power armor and not have some flak or other shit under there too.

Not that it would help particularly against an angry Grox eating your Marine or getting your face shot off by a super intelligent Monkey with a digital weapon set to "Melta bitch EEEK EEEK EEK!"
>>
>>46386311
>New 40K player here please don't stone me.

Why would we bother?
Games Workshop has that covered.
>>
>>46386592
Good point. Should I just quit now?
>>
>>46386676

Up to you m8

There are a lot of ways to have fun that don't involve supporting a business which wipes it's ass with the desiccated husks of it's most loyal customers.
>>
>>46386676

Yup.

Save money. Save sanity. Save friends.

Take the money you saved and spend it on gyms, deodorant, non-fast food, and girls. The sanity you'll save, the girl will take. The friends you save
>>
>>46386766
>sanity
I lost that a long time ago.
>>
File: 1455300411234.jpg (255KB, 1024x1192px) Image search: [Google]
1455300411234.jpg
255KB, 1024x1192px
>>46386578
Yeah, I'm familiar with their early (brief) role as Marine Hunters. I'd like to see that come back.
Space Marines are a pretty risky resource desu. Even good, straight laced loyal-types sided with the Tyrant of Badab. So having the Ecclesiarchy's elite warriors also specialize in terminating rogue Space Marines makes decent sense. They serve as the Ordo Hereticus' Chamber Militant, making that a perfect fit too.
But, eh. GW would probably balk at the idea of showing a group within the Imperium that could be a viable threat to the Space Marines. I'm not asking for them to be superior, or even equal to the Astartes, I would just like them to be a potent threat that the Space Marines have to be wary about. This way you can develop all sorts of fun politics and tension. The Black Templars are probably totally bro-tier with the Sisters, while the Dark Angels hate them and often avoid deploying on fronts with a large Sororitas contingent.
>>46386676
Personally, I advise against getting in to the wargame unless you have a group of buddies who do it. Try the rpgs instead, and buy minis that will be fun to use for combats in that over full blown armies. The game is simply too expensive and too poorly balanced to be something I can genuinely tell people to invest in.
>>
>>46386845

The LCG seems to be doing well, no?
>>
>>46386845
Who's the skull supposed to be?
>>
What they need is one of these Warzone campaigns.
>>
File: 1455299521675.png (867KB, 900x717px) Image search: [Google]
1455299521675.png
867KB, 900x717px
>>46386875
>LCG
There's a 40k LCG? I had no idea. I feel like they try this every ten years. Is it any good? >>46386891
No idea sadly. I just grabbed this off a Sisters appreciation thread. I'd assume its the skull of a Saint or Martyr, maybe another Sister from her order who died doin' heroic shit.
>>
>>46386311
The sisters were the only thing I ever liked about 40k, and their treatment made me defect.
>>
Man. I keep seeing SoB threads pop up here, a d it makes me sad. I played with my SoB from 3rd until the start of 6th when my LGS closed, and haven't had a chance to play since. I feel like I stopped playing at a good time, though. While I played, I could still win with just my Sisters, and I did well. Hell, I placed 7/50ish in the last local tourney I played.

Now, everything just looks sad from what I've heard.
>>
>>46386845
I used to run Templars/Sisters from 3rd to 5th ed. A berserk Crusader Squad supported by an Exorcist was always fun to play.
>>
>>46386423
They already have a basis for kickass fluff, with wars of faith being a thing, it just never comes up, unfortunately.
>>
>>46386311

SoB get shat on for a wide variety of reasons by GW but I think their primary issue is simply that they were never very popular with the 13 year old super edgy player base. The other issue is that because they never got much support, they never got any updates and because they never got any updates they look well.... terrible especially when placed alongside others.

All the models are either metal (good) or failcast (boo) and the faces are classic GW OH GOD WHUT DOES WOMEN FACE LOOK LIKE. They are better now but not by much.

Personally I never thought they stood out to much from the crowd, if they I were to update them I would keep the fluff but change the aesthetic, potentially lose the bolters and replace them with something else and give them some vehicles not based on a rhino or chimera chassis. Or remove the army as SoB and simply have a Ecclesiarchy faction, that way new updated SoB could be elite units and leaders holding sway over huge hordes of semi-insane zealots, arco-flagellants and penitent engines. That actually would be great fun to see on the table rather than 'female space marines'.
>>
File: Alliance Matrix.jpg (170KB, 727x924px) Image search: [Google]
Alliance Matrix.jpg
170KB, 727x924px
>>46386845
Oddly enough, at the same time the Sisters were made to pull paint duty for the Grey Knights, they were changed to be "Desperate Allies" to the Templars, on the same level as Dark Eldar and Necrons. For their part, the Templars were much happier working with Tau and Eldar than them.

As a Black Templar / Sister fan, its not been a great time. Still better off than Tyranid fans, mind you.
>>
>>46389345
Yeah. Nids bit it pretty hard, too.
>>
File: 48.jpg (703KB, 1187x1627px) Image search: [Google]
48.jpg
703KB, 1187x1627px
>>46386311
>codex

That's a funny way of spelling 1d4chan.
>>
>>46386891

It's probably a martyr or a saint, but skulls in general are used by the Ecclesiarchy much as Christians would use a cross. They represent the Emperor's sacrifice, although come to think of it the Ecclesiarchy itself has probably forgotten what it means given how little is generally known of the Imperium's past.
>>
>>46386505

The Ecclesiarchy are meant to be one of the fundamental institutions of the Imperium, far more ubiquitous in fact than the space marines or the mechanicus, yet they're so rarely depicted nowadays in the fluff.

Their aesthetic I find is far more distinctive and flavourful than the guard or the marines, and it's a damn shame they're so ignored.
>>
>>46386311
Yeah, dude butchered the faction to the point that they're unplayable.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.