[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/ I come in search of advice. I'm thinking about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Superhero-drawn.jpg (3MB, 3603x4722px) Image search: [Google]
Superhero-drawn.jpg
3MB, 3603x4722px
Hey /tg/ I come in search of advice. I'm thinking about running a supers campaign with my regular gaming group, but I'm not sure which system to use since all the reviews I've seen are fairly conflicting.

I'm probably going to have the power levels start out somewhere around movie Batman and end up somewhere around movie Avengers, though neither of those are set in stone, and I'd prefer something relatively crunchy.

Beyond that, the only thing set in stone is that it'll be a primarily nonlethal game (though it's easy enough to houserule in "game says you're dead = you're actually unconscious").

In the meantime, have some short descriptions (in no particular order) of NPCs I've thought up. Many of these are blatant references to characters from popular culture, and the game will have something of a silly tone.

(cont)
>>
The Bro: Hero; typical dudebro, though he's always there to help people out when they need it. Has some fairly generic super-enhancements (mildly increased strength, endurance, etc) that he can loan out to other people, plus has something along the lines of a D&D Paladin's Lay on Hands ability (touch someone and they feel better / their wounds aren't as bad now) that doesn't work on himself. Also has the ability to swap his location with that of one willing person instantaneously, though he typically holds this in reserve until it's needed to save someone's life by him taking an attack for them.

He'll likely have some kind of evil counterpart with the opposite of each of his powers (he powers himself up by taking strength/etc from others, he steals life from people with a touch, etc).

Name not yet determined: Villain; a somewhat pudgy guy who wears a yellow tracksuit and half-mask (the kind that only covers the top half of your face). He has some kind of extradimensional second stomach that can hold a huge volume of stuff without damaging or digesting it, and he can spit items back up later as needed (though this typically takes a moment). He can also eat an item (destroying it in the process) in order to gain some of it's properties (for example, eating a piece of metal makes him more durable temporarily), though these only last an hour or two and he can only have one active at a time. Scared of ghosts.

Headshot: Villain; fires powerful energy blasts from the top of his head. This obviously gives him problems aiming, though he has fairly significant practice with it that mitigates this somewhat.

Name not yet determined: Villain; has a magic sword and shield and a shitload of consumables (his favorites are grenades and small incendiary bombs).
>>
Name not yet determined: Non-combat character; looks basically like a succubus decided to dress up as a stern librarian. Works as a defense attorney with her encyclopedic knowledge of the law, and is famous for getting people off on technicalities. There are a lot of people who are completely convinced she's doing something illegal, they just don't know what and can't find any evidence.

Bat-man: Hero; basically just a dude with a bat and fairly minor enhancements to strength/endurance/etc. Dresses like an old timey baseball player.

Souperman: Hero; sprays soup at people. He can control the type and temperature, though he can't (or won't) spray types of soup at temperatures other than approximately what is standard for them (ie: no hot Gazpacho).

The Flash: Hero; can emit brief bursts of bright light (approximately a camera flash, though with the potential to make them brighter if need be).

Melvin: Villain; a bumbling alien with a tendency to monologue about his plans to conquer the Earth, looks like a black guy in strange armor.
>>
Names not yet determined: Villains; they have various remote-controlled robotic vehicles that they send in to banks or jewelry stores and the like and basically threaten to open fire unless someone puts valuables into an obvious compartment on one of the vehicles. They tend to use vehicles along the lines of APCs (but with more firepower, also they're amphibious) and aircraft along the lines of fighter jets but with the ability to hover. They have various hidden bases, but tend to show up in a submersible aircraft carrier from which they launch their remotely-controlled vehicles. They have a tendency to put too much time into choreographing their driving into and out of their heists (they want to look cool, you know).

Crisis Man (working name): Villain? Mercenary? A fairly ordinary (though highly skilled) guy with a military background who somehow found or invented some kind of super suit that can give him super strength, super speed, super durability, or near-invisibility, but only one at a time. Later on he'll probably upgrade the suit so he can have two at a time, then three, and so on. He'll probably have some kind of jetpack or something so he can fly places (though it's fairly bulky so he doesn't like to wear it in fights), and he tends to use guns as his primary method of attack.

Wraith (working name): Villain; a fairly young woman who works as a courier for other villains and criminal organizations. She primarily parkours her way across rooftops and the like, and has some enhanced strength and reflexes and the like to support this, as well as being invisible to digital cameras and the like (not sure if I want her to be visible to film-based cameras, but probably not).
>>
File: champions_6th.jpg (108KB, 500x649px) Image search: [Google]
champions_6th.jpg
108KB, 500x649px
>>46345980
>movie Avengers
Keep in mind their power levels range from "a really good spy" to "an unstoppable mass of infinite muscle.
>I'd prefer something relatively crunchy.
Then I'd suggest the Champions rule set from The Hero System. It works great for building supers, but it's a little rules-heavy for some.
>>
>>46346058
>their power levels range from "a really good spy" to "an unstoppable mass of infinite muscle.
Yeah, that was more about their overall effectiveness as a group.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll look into that one.
>>
Name not yet determined: Villainous organization; they're devout Christians but with some severely twisted beliefs. One of the main ones is basically "Jesus preached a message of peace and brotherly love but tons of wars have been fought in his name, so obviously there's some hidden message in the bible that we're not seeing that makes it OK to kill under certain circumstances."

The Wizard? Dungeon Master?: Villain; a permavirgin with magical powers that may or may not stem from the fact that he's a virgin. Obsessed with controlling things, getting respect, etc, but bad luck and lack of social skills or charisma screw him over.

Killer Klown Koalas: Villains; a group of racist albino koalas that dress up as clowns for some reason. They consider albino koalas to be all right, white people and non-albino koalas are second class citizens but as long as they don't get "uppity" things are OK, and non-white people are scum that deserve only to be stepped on.

Name not yet determined: Villain; some sort of vampire or vampire-themed character with an obsession for counting things. He's super fast at counting, so it's hard to really delay him without a ton of preparation (like dumping a literal truckload of sand in front of him), and he can pull himself away from counting if someone attacks him or tries to handcuff him or something like that.
>>
>>46346158
Whoops, forgot to mention that the Christian dudes are monks, both in the "super kung fu" sense and the Christian monk sense (shave the tops of their heads, wear robes, etc).

In any event, that's all I have at the moment. Other people feel free to contribute ideas, or steal some/all of these for use in your own games.
>>
>>46346058
I notice that people consider there to be ways to game the system in Champions to get more effectiveness out of powers and thus create more powerful characters than would normally be possible at a given power level, is this a particular issue? All I'm seeing is that it can be done, not really anything on the degree to which it can be done or how easy it is to make it happen.
>>
>>46346309
Any system used to make supers gives the player the power to choose what they can and can't do, physics be damned, so there's always gonna be some opportunity to become overpowered. However as far superpower focused system I'm really only familiar with Champions, and Mutants and Masterminds, and of the two, the M&M books specifically tell you "Hey this system can be broken pretty easily if you try".
One thing I will note is that Champions makes speedsters as powerful as they would naturally be, they don't try to nerf them for balance like most things do, at least not very hard.
>>
>>46346691
Interesting, thank you.
>>
>>46347187

Wild Talents

it uses the One Roll Engine or ORE

crunchy but fast and plenty of variety
>>
>>46347234
I like the idea of the ORE, but Wild Talents itself sounds like balance wasn't really a design concern, so it's not really what I'm looking for at the moment.

I don't necessarily need total balance, but I want to be able to be confident my players are all in the same ballpark without extensive tweaking or micromanaging their selections.
>>
Mutants & Masterminds
2E works great for people who know D20
3E for those who want the updated streamlined version that is less D20ish
>>
>>46345980
I'm going to throw in a recommendation for M&M3e, it's really good. Aside from it, I've checked out Marvel Hero RP which I found too fluffy for my taste, but it seemed work well enough.

>Beyond that, the only thing set in stone is that it'll be a primarily nonlethal game (though it's easy enough to houserule in "game says you're dead = you're actually unconscious").
That's practically a standard feature in superhero systems, really.
MHR straight up also lets you employ means other than "beat em to a pulp".
In demo play here http://mikelaff.podbean.com/e/marvel-heroic-rpg-review-demo/ for example, Cap America and Thing straight up intimidate the first encountered villain into submission. Thing also uses his superstrength for the intimidation, by the way.

(And yeah, MHR obviously packs the Avengers and stuff. Meanwhile, MnM 3e has official supplement for DC Universe. Batman in it is actually of a higher power level than a regular starting chargen hero.)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.