[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain me the lore behind Innistrad and why Avacyn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 45

File: Avacyn.jpg (990KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Avacyn.jpg
990KB, 1920x1080px
Can someone explain me the lore behind Innistrad and why Avacyn and her angels have suddenly decided they want to be evil?
>>
good things being made evil is in vogue

the reason is literally "a wizard did it because reasons"
>>
>>46271555
It is so far A MISTERY.
It has something to do with evil red bugs and Nahiri being a sandy vagina about vampires on Zendikar.

I suspect Tibalt, personally.
>>
Something about evil bugs
>>
>>46271555
No, M:tG lore stopped making sense somewhere around the original Mirrodin.
>>
>>46271662
>>46271630
>>46271599

The MtG wiki said something really vague about this thing called the Cursemute and how Avacyn redeemed a bunch of werewolves and it corrupted her or whatever. Is that bullshit or what?
>>
>>46271711
I know she purified a bunch of werewolves at the end of AR but I don't see why that would make everyone on Inninstrad go full retard.
>>
because, get this, Avacyn is now a werewolf too
>>
>>46271711
Whats happening is that another planeswalker got assmad at Sorin for not instantly saving her plane when the eldrazi invaded. So the planeswalker went to Sorin's plane and used magic rocks to mind control Avacyn into being evil.

The plot is just as bad if not worse than Blizzard's writing.
>>
>>46271555

The lore says Avacyn has begun the Great Work of purifying Innistrad after her staff came in contact with a strange metal liquid.

NEW PHYREXIA CONFIRMED
>>
>>46271767
Plot twist, she's being controlled by Emrakul.
>>
>>46271767

Who Walker was that and why did they assume Sorin could've just saved their plane from the Eldrazi with no sweat?
>>
>>46271692
Scars block and OG Zendikar had pretty great lore. Even Theros had an okay setting/general plotline, but the way the story was actually told was pretty terrible.
>>
>>46271767
Plot twist, she's being controlled by Phyrexians
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (314KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
314KB, 1920x1080px
>>46271767
Plot Twist - Avacyn was Medivh all along
>>
>>46271792

Lorwyn was amazing as well.
>>
>>46271790
The walker was Nahiri. She was one of the oldwalkers responsible for sealing up the eldrazi the first time (along with Ugin and Sorin). We don't actually know why Nahiri is pissed off at Sorin other than that it has something to do with Zendikar getting fucked. There could easily be information that we don't have that resulted in Nahiri feeling betrayed or some such bullshit.
>>
>>46271809
I had actually forgotten that Lorwyn came after Mirrodin. It was cool as fuck too. Actually Ravnica and Kamigawa were both cool as well.

I put Shards as the first block with lore that I didn't really give a shit about. Zendikar and Scars were both great, Innistrad was kind of awful (setting was fantastic, lore/plotline was dumb), RtR was stupid, Theros was decent, Kahns I'm still up in the air about, and BFZ was pants on head retarded.
>>
What is it with fantasy's fetish for heroines getting mind-controlled evil?
>>
>>46271870

What actually happened in Lorwyn? Everyone says it's great but all I know that some chick called Oona was the queen of the fae and was fucking up the plane for some reason every hundred years?
>>
>>46271790
Do you legit know absolutely nothing about the story, like at all?

Nahiri is the walker. She's mad because Sorin didn't show up as soon as the Eldrazi escaped. So she thought her world was doomed(No sorin and a dead at the time Ugin = no help) so she went looking for him.

She found Innistrad with no Sorin and decided to fuck shit up.

Or so we're lead to beleive.
I think it's interesting that the two most prominent mono-white characters in the block are both suddenly RW.

I suspect Tibalt is up to some moon shenanigans.
>>
>>46271776
>>46271793

Nornfags go and stay go. Take your shit-tier waifu somewhere else.
>>
>>46271940
I actually really hope Tibalt is behind this. That might actually be an interesting twist.
>>
>>46271630
The Eldrazi wrecked Zendikar. Nahiri (who was fucking where?) blames Sorin in part, and wants Innistrad to Suffer like Zendikar did. She's throwing up huge "cryptoliths" which for some reason all point to a drownyard in Nephalia, but tend to be associated with rising madness everywhere.

The kamigawa planeswalker Tamiyo --there to study the silver moon, because moons are her thing -- found a link to the cryptoliths and strange behavior, then went missing.

Jace came to Innistrad looking for Sorin, to get a better handle on the Eldrazi situation. He picks up Tamiyo's trail. (We see in card art he eventually finds her.)

Starting with Avacyn, the angels are going mad (except Sigarda and her group of angels, called the flight of Herons) and see everyone as a sinner in need of cleansing by fire.

The people are going mad and either turning inwards (like the town of Hanweir, which apparently became so paranoid that they declared independence and put a huge, doorless wall around the town), or joining cults (since clearly the angels were a bad bet).

The Lunarch council (human heads of the Church of Avacyn) sees all these people rejecting the (murderous) angels, and in their madness declare them heretics and send out inquisitors. The Cathers that consider this insane have formed a counter-force, called the Order of Saint Traft to protect the people from angels, the church, and the usual demons, werewolves, ghouls/skaab (zombies), geists, witches, devils, and vampires.

The vampires are going mad with bloodlust and have completely abandoned the pretense of civility in many bloodlines.

Zombies... are still zombies. Moving on.

The geists are a mixed bag. Most were pretty mad already. More are waking up, some helpful to humanity.

The werewolves who were cured by the cursemute are now werewolves again, because Avacyn is somehow not keeping it up. There is still one group of Wolfir (the Werewolves she could not cure, but could transform permanently into wolf-men).
>>
>>46271555
Read the fucking lore in the fucking website, if you don't want to do it, why even care about the lore at all?
>>
>>46271940

I haven't read any of the books so I don't really know much about the story beyond card flavour texts. I'm sorry desu senpai
>>
MTG should've ended with Urza defeating Yawgmoth.
>>
>>46272049
And the Weatherlight saga never should have been forced to end three years early with every decent character dying or becoming 2edgy4u.
>>
>>46271966
Nahiri also fucked up Sorin's ancestral home and Markov clan, embedding most of them in stone. So now Sorin is going to fuck her up.

From the card spoilers we find that Sorin has gone to Olivia -- head of the Voldaren bloodline and de facto queen of the vampires -- and they have mobilized for war against Nahiri.

I mentioned that Jace followed Tamiyo's clues and eventually finds her. Both are with Sorin when he is forced to "unmake" his wayward creation Avacyn.

Jace went to Liliana (has a mansion on Innistrad) at the beginning of the story asking her to introduce him to Sorin. She said that was an epic-tier retarded request. At some point he comes back to accuse her of something.

Next set name and Tamiyo's journal reveal it has something to do with moon.

Fun fact that doesn't exist anywhere else: Sigarda mentions that there used to be five flights of angels and five sisters to head them, not four. One was destroyed because she was too cordial with demons and witches. (Read: yes, there was a WB angel flight in the ancient past. They purged it.)

The bugs are a red herring. They needed art for "that crawling sensation up your spine" in a story. I doubt it will come to anything.

Also, I see a lot of weird "extra eyes" motiffs on some cards.
>>
>>46272111
>The moon isnt normal
>extra eyes
That just furthers the Bloodeborne jokes.
>>
>>46272111
>Five, not four
Correction: I meant four, not five. No idea what the WB flight was named.

WR is Flight Goldnight
GW is Flight of Herons
WB is FLight Alabaster.
>>
File: picard_4lights.jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
picard_4lights.jpg
6KB, 480x360px
>>46272261
How do I keep failing to type "three, not four"?
>>
File: en_0rhljSutku.png (164KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_0rhljSutku.png
164KB, 265x370px
>>46272261
>>46272283
What about Flight Moonsilver? Or is that supposed to be Avacyn's?
>>
>>46272111
>No WB Angel waifu

Disappointing
>>
>>46271555

"Hey, makeup!"
>>
>>46272344
White Fallen Angel?
cool
probably should been in timeshited tho
>>
>>46272344
Moonsilver is Avacyn's personal flight.
>>
>>46272344
I guess, but it's weird because they state explicitly that there were four -- let's call them "natural" -- flights, then Avacyn was created and united them. The ritual to create the first vampires involved drinking the blood of an angel
>>
>>46271711
The MTG Salvation wiki is absolutely fuck-useless when it comes to the lore. Ignore it for anything but the most basic information.
>>
>>46272534
While MTG salvation is shit, that part wsa true. That was part of the "then Avacyn came back and fixed everything that was cool" in Avacyn Restored.

I applaud them for acctually definitively concluding something for once, but that ending still sucked.
>>
>>46272111
I'm telling you guys, it's the Chain Veil that's fucking everything up. Nahiri was last seen binding Ob Nixilis and taking his Spark. Ob was turned into a demon by the Chain Veil.

Lilliana is still faffing around Innistrad when she should be after the other demons. Last we saw her, she was desperate for help as the Chain Veil was fucking with her. Now she's perfectly chill while Innistrad goes topsy-turvy.

Nahiri ain't Harbringing Eldrazi or Marit Lage, she is readying for an Onnake resurgance.
>>
File: GET OUT NORNIES.png (603KB, 1407x1190px) Image search: [Google]
GET OUT NORNIES.png
603KB, 1407x1190px
>>46271953
>>
lesbian treesome with nahiri , liliana and tamiyo when ?
>>
>>46272565
Oh, reminds me:
We briefly met the new planeswalker, Arlinn Kord, who is a werewolf. She can control her transformation at will, which is unheard of. Most werewolves change involuntarily, and only some because of the pahses of the moon. A few more have so given in to the curse that they are wolves all the time (see Immerwolf).

(As stated above, Avacyn turned repentant, voluntary werewolves into her Wolfir (type = Wolf), which are wolf-men full time but intelligent and under her control. This was called "the curse mute". She did that because she couldn't cure them. This time around we find she could cure a couple -- mostly so they could change back and be killed when they tear people apart in this story :\ ... )

Anyway, Kord claims the Werewolves will soon be all that stands between Innistrad and this new madness. (So WoD, WotC. Too WoD.)
>>
fag treesome with ajani, sorin, and jace when?
>>
>>46272807
I think that's just typical R/G mentality of solving all of it's problems through violence. Kord probably assumes that whatever ancient evil is about, it's the type of thing that can be solved through mauling it to death
>>
>>46272813
i think Ajani would destroy them both
>>
>>46272726
Tamiyo is pure. PURE!

Thalia, Avacyn or any of the other Angels are fair game.
>>
>>46271914
There was no normal day-night cycle on Lorwyn. It would just literally be day for hundreds of years then suddenly shift to night during an event called the Great Aurora.

The queen of the faeries did this cause she wanted to keep ruling over the faeries, and this change basically wiped everyone's memories because they would turn from happy, joyful, if not mildly dickish people into evil, twisted, maniacal versions of themselves when it changed to night.

Some NPCs figured out what was going on and killed the queen, which released all the energy she had stored and now the whole plane is stuck in a weird sort of twilight state, and everyone is a mix of their two halves.

It's implied that such a state is actually the natural thing on Lorwyn, but WotC abandoned the plane so fast we don't know for certain.
>>
>>46272261
I'm really disappointed with the relative lack of Angels in this block so far. I think there's only like 6 total.
>>
>>46272949
it's her purity to make her great lewd material
>>
>>46272111

I thought it was implied the WB angel was reforged into Avacyn.
>>
>>46273213
As far as I know, Sorin "made" Avacyn, the way Serra made here angels out of nothing. The old-walkers like Sorin could create whole planes for themselves, so they didn't really need to recycle.

Not saying "no" to the theory, just saying "seems unnecessary".
>>
>>46272111
>Fun fact that doesn't exist anywhere else
Well, it wasn't that odd, vault of the archangel has black/white in it's cost, many people assumed there was a black/white angel we now have confirmation of what happened to her
>>
>>46273213
No, the lore thing on uncharted realms says that Avacyn killed the WB angel after she arrived, since that flight would routinely ally with monsters against a greater threat. Avacyn seems to have been made as a purely white angel by Sorin.
>>
>>46273277
That seems odd for Avacyn to do, since her dad's a vampire and all. Wouldn't she understand the need to work with monsters against severe threats, since she's there to prevent anything from going extinct?
>>
File: nahiritheharbinger.jpg (30KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
nahiritheharbinger.jpg
30KB, 223x311px
Story goes something like this:

In the distant past thousands of years ago, three planeswalkers called Sorin, Nahiri and Ugin imprisoned the Eldrazi on Nahiri's homeplane, Zendikar. She is the creator of the hedrons and locked away the Eldrazi using the hedrons. The story for this can be read in the following link.
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/lithomancer-2014-10-29

After this, the planeswalkers part. The next time we see Nahiri is hundreds of years later when there is a minor Eldrazi outbreak on Zendikar, a world that has vastly changed, with Sorin and Ugin being nowhere to be seen. She stops the outbreak and goes to find her old friend, Sorin. The story for this can be found in the following link:
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/stirring-slumber-2015-05-13

Over a thousand years later, the modern MtG storyline takes place. The Eldrazi are free and Sorin goes to find Ugin to help battle the Eldrazi. Keep in mind that Sorin is the creator of Avacyn and considers Innistrad 'his territory.' He reveals to Ugin that Nahiri has some sort of squabble with him. The story for this can be found in the following link:
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/sorins-restoration-2015-03-27

So what we know is that after Nahiri went to visit Sorin hundreds of years ago, they had some sort of squabble and now Nahiri hates Sorin so much, she seeks to destroy his plane. We do not know why yet; it is a mystery. We do not even know for sure that Nahiri is the one who corrupted Avacyn, although all evidence points to her.
>>
>>46273307
She doesn't necessarily know. She's a white-mana automaton rather than his daughter figure. She exists to maintain the balance of order on Innistrad.
>>
>>46273460

Sorin went to find Ugin. He was dead. Sorin was concerned, and fucked off. Nahiri was missing.

Sarkhan brought his dragonfus back by making a new timeline.

Sorin went to find Ugin. Ugin was alive. Sorin is relieved. Sorin was having a tiff with Nahiri.

THIS IS SARKHAN'S FAULT.
>>
>>46273516
I think Sorin was having a tiff with her regardless of the timeline, it's just that he didn't have someone alive to question him about his relationship status in Timeline A.
>>
>>46273505
>>46273307
she canonically doesn't know as of the most recent story
>>
>>46271776
Sounds more like mercury poisoning.
>>
>>46271555
Nahiri's summoning something, the very act of which is is mutating stuff and driving both people and angels insane.
>>
>>46273460
Reading these a question came to my mind, how vampires appeared in zendikar?
>>
>>46275296
They are freed drones left over from the first Eldrazi attack. Kind of makes you wonder what other creatures started out as Eldrazi drones cut off from the whole.
>>
>>46275296
Vampires came from Eldrazi corruption leaking free and tainting mortal races, turning some of them into a thrall species that evolved to become vampires. So each Zendikar vampire has a little bit of Eldrazi in them.

See this story, featuring Drana:
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/memories-blood-2015-09-16
>>
>>46275363
>>46275382
Man, what would Sorin say about that
>Hey, Sorin, if these vampires are Eldrazi spawns guess you and other vampires are also Eldrazi abominations, go figure why it was so easy for you to counter their life draining powers with your life draining powers
I want to see his millennia-old-vampire face
>>
>>46275704
I thought Innistrad vampires were some alchemy bullshit invented by Sorin's father or something.
>>
>>46275726
Edgar Markov learned a secret from a demon that would lead to eternal life through alchemy and this secret made him the first vampire. He proceeded to create a multitude of different vampire bloodlines through methods unknown to us and he still lives to this day.

card when
>>
>>46275726
>>46275876
>>46275704
>From two completely different methods we reached the same outcome
Coincidence? I think not
>>
>>46275921
Nah, it's a common thing in the multiverse. Different planes have different versions of everything. Heck, humans on Innistrad die in a different way to how humans on Theros die, for example.
>>
>>46271767
Except he did more than her to save her world the entire time.
>>
>>46271953
>>46272659
...Sheoldred... ... ... ok... I'll go...
>>
Why is it that the best white waifus get killed/corrupted?
>>
>>46279001
White people are evil, anon.
>>
Nahiri + maybe Emrakul
>>
>>46271555

Basically, something has been spreading madness on Innistrad, warping people's minds and emotions.

Avacyn is connected to the minds of every human on Innistrad, able to hear their prayers, and so the current most likely thing that's happening is whatever's driving people on Innistrad crazy is being directed into Avacyn, replacing humanity's prayers for her help and protection with a never-ending prayer to eradicate humanity instead of saving it.

Avacyn is being driven mad by the new "prayer," and somehow spreading that madness to the other angels. It's not so much that they "decided" shit, more that whatever's fucking up Innistrad in general is going after its protectors in particular to make the Angels attack humanity instead of save it.

Nahiri has something to do with it, as she's trying to get revenge on Sorin for the devastation that came to her home plane by bringing ruin to his. She's fucking with Innistrad's mana, which is either causing all the problems or certainly not helping.
>>
>>46279273
...so Avacyn is Ultron. They really are ripping off the Avengers movies.
>>
>>46275921
Three, a dude once got vamped by killing an agel he loved.
>>
File: Multiverse's Mightiest Heroes.jpg (194KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
Multiverse's Mightiest Heroes.jpg
194KB, 750x450px
>>46279360
>>
>>46279703
Stop triggering MaRo.
>>
>>46272599
>liliana is responsible for fucking up my favorite new plane and one of the only new walkers I liked
that'd be pretty gay if you're right. I just want liliana to fuck off and I know it's never going to fucking happen.
>>
>>46279736
Not that guy, but MaRo can go straddle a parking cone.
>>
File: TG + S4S.jpg (98KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
TG + S4S.jpg
98KB, 375x523px
>>46279911
>>46279736
that guy, and as an IRL laconic speaker, short answers make you look like a douche 80% of the time
>>
>>46279736
After seeing that display, I'm torn between never calling it anything other than the Jacetice League, or just settling for something unambiguously insulting instead.
>>
>>46271555
Not even Wizards can explain it and they wrote the damn story.
>>
>>46279703
I really hope the name Jacetice League sticks.
>>
>>46279273
Nahiri could be unintentionally effected by and spreading the madness. Mystery Big Bad corrupts Nahiri, who corrupts the people of Innistrad, who corrupt Avacyn, who corrupts the rest of the angels.
>>
>>46280565
The more I think about what it could possibly be, the more I question if killing Avacyn was at all necessary.

I mean, she's clearly not the source of the madness, and unless it's totally incurable then she could still be fixed. If it's not curable, then that spells big trouble for the rest of the plane as well, and possibly Nahiri by extension.
>>
>>46280565
>Mystery
IT'S NEVINYRRAL
>>
>>46279833
On the upside, we'll see the corruption of a mono Black character, it'd be great to see the queen bitch of the multiverse singing and dancing among the zombies like a Disney princess.
>>
>>46280657
IT'S MARIT LAGE
>>
>>46272111
Reading this i think they make nahiri planeswalk away and in eldritch moon is reveled that the madness is caused by liliana, and now she is the evil and kills Sorin with the chain veil

I will hate that, of course
>>
>>46280931
IT'S JOHN CENA!
>>
>>46281022
BUM BUH NA BUUUUM
>>
>>46280931
IT'S MAIRSIL THE PRETENDER
>>
>>46280765
I just want her to get killed because she's an asshole who deserves it.
>>
>>46280931
>All Y'all nigs forgetting the Raven Man
IT'S URZA
>>
>>46281099
You don't want to see her purified into the motherly, perfect and healing noblewoman her teacher wanted her to be?
>>
>>46281099
Nissa deserved death too, and you see her now fucking gingers
>>
>>46281099
>not liking Liliana
What are you? Gay?
>>
>>46281206
Nah. She's a bitch.
>>
>>46281300
>shit tier waifu
The real deal has always been Elspeth
>>
>>46281206
>Nahiri is 'purified' and made into the new Avacyn, thigh-highs and all
>>
>>46281352
I wish, but the millenia-old-vampire has other plans for her
>>
>>46276108
Shit happens on earth. Convergent evolution senpai
>>
>>46279992
Nice mythic rare pepe.
>>
>>46272599
I believe it. The symbol of the set reminds me of it.
>>
>>46279150
The writers' agenda comes to light
>>
>>46279150
white is a pretty evil color in MTG logic. White is the color of dogma, oppression, and militant ideology.
>>
>>46272865
Milk isn't the only thing that comes in gallons
>>
>>46271940
>>46272111

Moon schenanigans?

MOON. SCHENANIGANS?

PLEASE let the next block be return to Lorwyn...
>>
>>46271630
>suspect Tibalt
>suspect

Tibalt isn't one of those UB walkers who do things subtly. If Tibalt does something, he's going to write "Tibalt did it" in fire next to it. And then he's going to be there in person to explain to them exactly how he did it, in case they were still confused.
>>
>>46272860
I dunno, G/R solved the Eldrazi, seems like they got this in the bag.
>>
>>46283796
As much as I love Lorwyn, I really want a break from all these return blocks.

We had Origins which was basically 10 returns in one, then Zendikar, then Innistrad.

Can we please go somewhere new?
>>
>>46283874
Snidely Whiplash Tibalt is the funniest fucking concept to me.
>>
>>46280931
Please, if it was Marit Lage things would be going bad far faster and far harder than they are. Even Oldwalkers couldn't put her down, you think Jace and the fuccboi league will be any help?
>>
>>46283093
ch-chocolate milk?
>>
>>46283874
RWB mastermind Tibalt would be fun.
>>
>>46272198
The order of st traft or whatever are basically a group of hunters.
>>
>>46279703
Where did you find this?
>>46280500
Goddamnit we'll make it stick.
>>
>>46273206
I bet that she is a bsdm dominatrix when in bed!
>>
>>46281339
>white fascist waifu
>good choice
Pick one.
>>
>>46273460
I want to vastly change her world with my dick
>>
>>46281406
Sexy plans?
>>
>>46281339

The real deal has always been original Nissa, as in "elf hitler human reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
>>
Lotta misinformation in this thread.
1. we don't know why Nahiri is mad at Sorin except for something about Zendikar. Specifics are not yet available so don't insist them.
2. we don't know what Nahiri is the harbinger of. Emrakul is a possibility but by no means confirmed. There is no colorless flavor whatsoever in Shadow over Innistrad.
>>
>>46285233
It's okay, they'll just fireball Marit Lage.
>>
>>46287758
Emrakul comes back as a colorless Eldrazi Horror that cares about horror tribal.
>>
>>46272111
>Also, I see a lot of weird "extra eyes" motiffs on some cards.
Eldrazi have weird extra eyes
>>
>>46287758
Emrakul ate a shit ton of colored mana. Emrakul comes back as a five color mess. It's mana "bleeds" over into other creatures causing madness. Nahiri is just as infected as Avacyn. She caught the Eldrazi fever when she tried to destroy Emrakul alone.
>>
>>46273516
Underrated post.
>>
I'll openly admit I haven't been reading MtG lore much so I have no fucking clue what Sorin has been up to and what his achievements are. But I was going through a recent lore article with Jace meeting Liliana and it struck me as odd that Liliana seemed scared of Sorin.

All millenia-old-vampire memes aside, what's so scary about Sorin? What sort of powers does he command that could freak out an incredibly powerful necromancer? From his cards, I got the impression that he was a very generic (albeit very old vampire) that can drain his victims and sire vampires and not much else. Liliana has such powers as those seen on Rise of the Dark Realms. How do those things even compare?

tl;dr Why is Sorin hyped up as something Liliana and fuccboi Jace should be afraid of?
>>
>>46288674
They look like they don't even have eyes, Anon.
>>
>>46289050
Maybe it's like this:

They're all Planeswalkers, which have access to Planeswalker powers and abilities, multiplied by experience. He has a great deal of experience, more than either of them, so he's got more Planeswalker potential.

He's also a Vampire, which is a much more tremendous creature on average than Joe citizen human losers, which they both are. Average human is a token-grade motherfucker. Even weak vampires are still comparable to bears, and many vampires throughout the annals of MTG history were substantially more powerful than that.
>>
>>46289132
Liliana has been shown not to be really afraid of brute force (as seen in the Triumph cards with Garruk) so I'm guessing it's his planeswalker powers that makes her afraid of Sorin. I'm just confused as to what those powers actually are.

It mostly sort of bugged me to have a scene in which Jace visits a former ally - now necromancer queen in her own domain surrounded by her army of undead - and said badass necromancer turns out to be a little bitch pissing herself at the thought of a generic old vampire dude.
>>
>tfw Avacyn's eyeliner is running as she's crying in Anguished Unmaking's art
>>
>>46283912
>We had Origins which was basically 10 returns in one
What? origins a return? he had vrynn and shandalar, 2 planes we have not got into

the thing with the returns is that they are a miss or hit. an the only hit they have gotten is with Innistrad, cuz BFZ and RTR did not make justice with the old sets
>>
>>46271767
>The plot is just as bad if not worse than Blizzard's writing.
Harsh.
>>
>>46289050
>>46289050
Because he can cast one of the most powerful spells: Vindicate. technically he could have vindicated ulamog and kozilek, but not emrakul cuz he has protection of colored spells
>>
>>46288674
>Eldrazi have weird extra eyes
No they don't. Eldrazi are lacking in eyes.
None of the titans have eyes. None of the titans have eye-like features.
Literally the only eldrazi with an eye is Thought-Knot Seer, and it has a single huge eye, not extra growths.
>>
>>46283874

Man.... I want this.
>>
>>46289050
Sorin and Liliana collided when they were both oldwalkers, and he laid her low and basically said "be on your best behavior, or I'll kill you in an instant".
So her intimidation was drilled in long before their current status and abilities.
>>
>>46289050
When it came to handling the Eldrazi the first time around, he was the muscle of the operation. He was the one that had to lure the Eldrazi and keep them occupied for long enough that Nahiri could prime her hedrons and Ugin could bind the eldritch horrors into them.

A lot of that power remains. He's not able to create Avacyn or single-handedly bait the Eldrazi any longer but he's still got the most powerful blood magic in the entire setting at this point.
>>
>people actually want emrakul to show up this set
emrakul should have been fireballed along with her shithead brothers, the eldrazifag tears would have been delicious and we'd never have to deal with those """""""""characters""""""""" ever again
>>
>>46289532
Sounds like someone got their aeons torn if you know what I mean :^)
>>
File: ZcnBKhG.jpg (216KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
ZcnBKhG.jpg
216KB, 600x375px
>>46289296
ahem
>>
>>46289296
> what are Kozilek and his brood
>>
>>46289630
>tfw you will never tear emrakul's aeons
>>
>>46289653
>>46289671
You know, I've never actually noticed that on Kozilek.
But Kozilek is dead now so it can't be Kozilek.
>>
>>46289740
The cause for the madness is probably something in the moon, and the extra eyes and tentacles are just red herrings.

the moon is a giant helvault
>>
>>46271792
This is true in general, the setting of MtG has never stopped being pretty good, its just the charicters and plotlines that have nosedived
>>
>>46280632

It probably wasn't necessary, but it was ~dramatic~ and probably part of a stupid attempt to raise the stakes after nobody IMPORTANT died on Zendikar despite the plane getting fucked ten ways from Sunday.

Of course, constantly undercutting the notion that Avacyn was Sorin's child as opposed to just an angel he created to do his job keeping the vampires from stupiding themselves to death while he went out and partied kinda undermines the drama there.

>>46283088

All of the colors are neutral.

Black is the color of decay, greed, and slavery. Red is the color of insanity, anarchy, and sadism. Blue is the color of sociopathy, mad science, and thought-crime. Green is the color of stagnation, cannibalism, and violence.

Every color has self-contradictory elements and things that can be good or evil.

>>46289191

Sorin is superhumanly fast and strong, while Liliana is distinctly normal. He's adept with black mana and white mana, which means he's both familiar with and able to counter things Liliana is good at.

He's also a sangromancer, which means he can control blood. Anything's blood.

Liliana has blood. Liliana loses.
>>
>>46272080
the weatherlight saga was supposed to continue? i always thought the ending felt rushed but i figured they just hit a brick wall
>>
>>46289050
Liliana was an oldwalker remember? When planeswalkers were obscenly powerful and could do crazy shit like decide they wanted to be a house for a few centuries or survive getting decapitated.

From her origin, Liliana stuck out as a nail in Innistrad and Sorin noticed and beat her down. This dude held back and weakened the Eldrazi enough for them to be lead to Zendikar. All 3 of them.

We don't see it as WotC loves to hype this guy and never let him do anything but Sorin is ludicrously powerful even now.

And all he wanted to do was wander the multiverse and make sure his hometown was okay.
>>
>>46290001
Wizards hates Sorin.
He is literraly one of the two only fucking planeswalkers with common sense, the other being Ugin. he knows the best solution for everything. he knows how to get shit done, but wizards always make him fail thanks to the stupidity of other characters

>He was going to re-seal the eldrazi until the fucking elf htiler decided it was best to destroy the hedrons

>He then went to find ugin, only to realizae that another fucking dragon that is old and senile and can't stop screaming WE WER LAIK GAWDS killed the only guy that had colorless magic and can help.

>After someone changing the timeline, he goes to find Nahiri who should be fighthing the eldrazi, but decided is far more productive to mess innistrad than to solve her own problems cuz obviously destroying Innistrad will reapir zendikar on a way,

The poor guy just suffers from being the right guy in the hands of Wizards, i only hope he don't join to the Jacetice League
>>
>>46290463
Don't be silly. He's going to be turned into not!Dracula because the plot requires it at some point.
>>
>>46271555
We don't actually know

That's the hook for the set.
Acacyn's bad and we don't know why.

We do have a decent idea of what did happen, but we're not officially going to find out until a flavor article halfway through.
Then it's going to get undone in Eldritch Moon. Or escalate, but that hasn't happened in a two-set block yet.
>>
File: grotesquemutation.jpg (41KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
grotesquemutation.jpg
41KB, 265x370px
Gee. Those purple tentacles/tendrils don't resemble anything that looks familiar, or that spongy red and purple meas doesn't look lIke anythi... oh wait.

It's fucking Emrakul
and I'm excited about it.
>>
File: 1459100267495.png (92KB, 503x257px) Image search: [Google]
1459100267495.png
92KB, 503x257px
>>46291474
>>
File: pMfOXj6MQt-10.png (22KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
pMfOXj6MQt-10.png
22KB, 300x250px
>>46291509
Emrakul is my mtg waifu.
>>
>>46271555
Avacyn wants to be hardcore but her dad won't let her.
>>
>>46289985
Corporate told Rosewater and Co. to axe the story-line about 3 or 4 years before it was supposed to end. That's why Crovax, Urza, and Erti became evil and Mirri, Gerrard, and the Primordial Dragons got killed and never mentioned again.
>>
>>46271555
I could make fart noises at my monitor and it would make as much sense as any other explanation for MtG lore.
>>
>>46291709
Thank you for sharing?
>>
>>46291474
>completely ignoring the lamprey like mouth
>a lamprey is a sea creature
i can't wait for this actually lovecraftian sea god to tentacle rape emrakul to death
>>
File: 3eb908c333195286e7-0.jpg (170KB, 935x1210px) Image search: [Google]
3eb908c333195286e7-0.jpg
170KB, 935x1210px
>>46291474
Emma is a giant space mushroom. That looks like a moray eel. I actually assumed it was a reference to that one Stephen King story about the guy who gets the alien parasite in his hand.
>>
>>46291570
u waifu a shit
>>
>>46291570
>waifuing a giant umbrella monster
Why though?
>>
>>46289211
>Avacyn begs Sorin to kill her in a moment of lucidity
>c-can I call you 'father'?
>>...you can
>Father?
>>Yes?
>I love you.
>>I love you too, Avacyn.
>>
>>46292557
You're a faggot.
>>
>>46292630
So you found my true identity!
>>
>>46292557
She doesn't know who Sorin is to her. Wich makes it more and more sad.
>>
>>46292799
Hi waifufag!
>>
Magic lore went to shit as of Time Spiral. I miss the original Ravnica, Mirrodin, and Kamigawa.
>>
Could Nico Bolas beat Sorin? How are they power chart wise?
>>
>>46293684
Short answer, yes.
>>
>>46293684
Sorin is a genre savvy blood mage with a magic sword and thousands of years of experience as a warrior, a manor lord, and a Walker.

Bolas eats universes like Tic-Tacs.
>>
>>46293684
At the time Sorin Markov created Avacyn Nicol Bolas couldn't enter planes without a big preparation or his massive draconic girth would simply collapse them.
>>
>>46293702
Could Sorin beat Madara Uchiha?

And I’m referring to Rinne Tensei Madara Uchiha with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikidou paths ability) equipped with his Gunbai and control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, a complete Susano’o, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA implanted in his chest so he can perform Mokuton kekkei genkai and yin-yang release ninjutsu as well as being extremely skilled in taijutsu and bukijutsu.
>>
>>46293930
I thought Nicol Bolas was just a dragon in Legends. How did he go from that to Galactus?
>>
>>46293930
>tfw Bolas will never enter you with his massive draconic girth
>>
File: 1458971410945.png (105KB, 128x256px) Image search: [Google]
1458971410945.png
105KB, 128x256px
>>46293930
>his massive draconic girth
He can collapse my planar arcanex anytime~

>>46293984
Retcons.
>>
>>46293968
Not even that pasta can stop Nicol Bolas.
>>
>>46293984
>>46294012
Bolas was never really retconned. He wasn't expanded on Pre-rev, then appeared as the godly-powerful Elder Dragon 'walker in one of the Legends Cycle novels, returned from the fate he got hit with there in Time Spiral, and has been pretty constant in the storyline ever since, though reduced in power so he no longer crushes worlds with his mere arrival.
>>
>>46294048
The funny thing is that Nicol Bolas was once the emperor of Madara, and was defeated by Tetsuo Umezawa, a Samurai.
>>
>>46293984
Fuckers one of the oldest planeswalkers alive and has spent pretty much all of that time amassing more and more power. Even after the Mending he can still smack other walkers around like nobodies business, and that was before he absorbed the energies of what could best be described as 5 mini-planes being smashed together in a multiversal particle accelerator.
>>
>>46294101
Proof that bolas is stupid. Defeated by a simple samurai
He didn't even send him to the future were his evil was law before umezawa give him the last strike
>>
>>46293684
i doubt there'd be a situation where bolas would let sorin come to blows with him
>>
>>46289653
Eh, Kozilek is a fag. Ulamog's maskheads are totally cooler.
>>
How fast would shit get real if Sorin got his old walker powers back at the end of this?
>>
>>46288444
She's indestructible
>>
Because it will sell packs.
>>
>>46296260
Sanic fast.
>>
>>46296260
c^2 fast. Oldwalkers can do pretty much whatever they fucking want.
>>
>>46296392
So were the Eldrazi. There are officially no stakes anymore, because they've proven that killing the unkillable is easy.
>>
>>46296547
Oldwalkers = Nerevarine?
>>
File: tes__vivec_by_vopoha-d8bfg3j.jpg (200KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
tes__vivec_by_vopoha-d8bfg3j.jpg
200KB, 1131x707px
>>46296970
Oldwalkers = Vivec.
>>
>>46294284
Samurai Jack?
>>
>>46287758
The Drownyard Temple land produces colorless mana....
>>
>>46294284
And he was able to.
>>
File: 1440731344610.png (1MB, 2000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1440731344610.png
1MB, 2000x2500px
>>46292479
>>
File: IMG_2670.jpg (58KB, 321x326px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2670.jpg
58KB, 321x326px
>>46300057
imagine the hand jobs and tentacle jobs . . .
>>
>SOM suddenly plops Phyrexians into Mirrodin
>RTR retcons Angel origins, Rakdos cult's philosphy
>BFZ introduces mutation/corruption retcons for the titans
>SOI turns a previous waifu into a villain then kills here

Neo-WOTC's redux sets are all terrible.
>>
>>46300271
Phyrexians were always in Mirrodin, that was the whole reason original Mirrodin happened.
>>
>>46300271
I like how you mention the Rakdos thing and not the nonsense they pulled to get all the guilds running again and adding merfolk to the plane out of nowhere.
>>
>>46301479
The Merfolk was weird but it was understandable because there were so many strange species on Ravnica like the owl people.
And the Guilds never really broke apart? They all stayed togther.
>>
>>46301580
The last time we saw Ravnica between Ravnica block and RtR the Simic had fallen apart, the Dimir were a mess and the Selesnya were being actively exterminated by the masses.

The Merfolk were weird because they went out of their way to say that they'd been living under the city without anyone noticing them for centuries and they end up being irrelevant to the plot.
>>
File: hVdFFvv.jpg (126KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
hVdFFvv.jpg
126KB, 640x427px
>>46271555
>Can someone explain me the lore behind Innistrad and why Avacyn and her angels have suddenly decided they want to be evil?

chris metzen writes for wotc now
>>
>>46302026
But in Dissension the Selesnyans were still around and not being exterminated we even see daycares run by them, large parts of the Simic were destroyed, by themselves because most of the people with cytoplasms were Simic anyway. The Dimir were always a mess the entire point of a guild is to break the Guildpact? That's just retarded but not as retarded as a guild that legally doesn't exist.
>>
>Make a white character in Magic
>BUT THEN HE BECAME EVIL
>BUT THEN SHE GOT CORRUPTED
>BUT THEN A GOD TOLD HER TO DIE
>BUT THEN HE WAS AMBUSHED AND KILLED OFF AFTER A HEROIC INTERVENTION

>Make a Black character in Magic
>AND THEN HE BECAME A GOD WITH INFINITE POWER
>AND THEN SHE ATTAINED EVERY ONE OF HER GOALS AND WISHES
>AND WHEN HE DIED, HE LAUGHED AT ALL OF THE MORTALS AND CURSED THE ENTIRE PLANE
>AND WHEN SHE WAS SURROUNDED ON ALL SIDES BY INNUMERABLE ENEMIES, HER DEUS EX MACHINA DEMONSPAWN SAVED HER AND THEY CACKLED INTO THE SUNSET

I'm really, really getting tired of how White exclusively serves to get fucked over and jobs throughout every plane in history. I thought Innistrad would be the only one where White would actually have ended the story prevailing rather than just falling apart and collapsing later. Boy what a fool I've been.
>>
>>46302448

They're stymied by the fact they made the "evil" walker a woman, which means they can't then show said evil walker losing or being in any kind of peril whatsoever.

Sure they made the "good" walker a woman too, but a heroic death followed by an inevitable resurrection didn't seem to upset people too much, especially as having a male god betray and murder her plays into the whole "men are innately evil, even when gods of white mana" clause.
>>
>>46271776
fuck, sauce
>>
File: 155.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
155.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
>>46300271
The real Mirrodin retcons were the time frame and the vanishing. Mirrodin was supposed to be thousands of years old and ended with all life on the plane being whisked away. Then Scars comes along and retconned it so Mirrodin was only a hundered or so years old and only the part of population not born on Mirrodin was whisked away.
>>
>>46271555
Because some chuckleheads at Wizards thought it would be a neat twist if Avacyn was evil now and nobody thought to stop them.
>>
>>46291474
It looks more like a reference to the original art of Nevinyrral's disk
>>
>>46305805

It really didn't have enough setup I feel. Which is the issue with the 2 set arcs. You can't have a 3 act structure.

Setup in one, crazy in two, resolution in 3. That could have been fine but due to the nature of the two set system, we need to have the setup in the same arc so it comes off as very rushed. Last time we saw her she had JUST returned to start helping people.

Now? Now she's instantly crazy. No room between.
>>
>>46271966
>>46272111
I appreciate this summary. It actually made me kind of excited.

I know people shit on MtG's lore, but this honestly sounds pretty cool. Irrelevant, but Ludevic and Geralf now work together. You didn't mention that.
>>
>>46279273
>Avacyn is connected to the minds of every human on Innistrad, able to hear their prayers,

That's a generic trait of angels in MtG - they can always hear anything directed at them. Comes up in the Ravnica books as well.

But yeah, could also be a vector for corruption.
>>
>>46272419
Can I have sauce on this?
>>
>>46271555
edgelords of the coast said so.
>>
>>46305829
Larry Niven, The Magic Goes Away.
>>
>>46279590
Oh, Crovax/Mirri.
>>
>>46300057
I still don't get it.
>>
>>46302044
Metzen is the greatest troll in modern fiction.
>>
>>46280142
Gaywatch is also a good one.
>>
>>46285233
It will be revealed that they could've killed her all along, but chose not to.
>>
>>46309566
would not catch on with the ledditors as it isnt PC
>>
>>46285233
Three oldwalkers weren't able to put down the Eldrazi, now there's only one left.
>>
>>46290463
But on the other hand, he gets to be a ludicrously selfless guy in blatant defiance of the color pie. A black hero should be at best a Byronic antihero who only helps others to create a good environment for himself, so stopping the Eldrazi from eating the multiverse does make sense for him. But Sorin repeatedly intervenes and wastes time to save a plane he no longer lives on and a family he hates, mostly in the form of a WHITE angel he summoned. Despite his power, he's a completely whipped milquetoast.
>>
>>46309698
It's his plane. He's personally invested in it to a point where he feels overly possessive of it.
>>
>>46308351
>>46279273
It's a shame that it's clearly caused by some special insanity rocks, because it would make perfect sense for Avacyn's change in temperament to be a natural consequence of listening to people on her plane for long enough. Humans in Innistrad are garbage. All the monsters that threaten them are in one way or another the humans' own creations. Every single problem they face is their own fault, and all they pray for is escape from the consequences of their own actions. Spending enough time listening to that kind of hypocrisy would eventually make someone conscious of it.
>>
>>46309751
But it's not his plane any more. It hasn't been for thousands of years. He gets nothing out of its continued existence except a reminder of how shitty his family and his early life was.
>>
>>46309835
Logic doesn't matter. It's his, just like a shiny piece of candy wrapper that a magpie has abandoned at the bottom of its nest belongs to the magpie.
>>
>>46309698
I was a bit upset about that when Innistrad first came around, but literally every Sorin after the first one has been WB, even though they said "he's just WB for Innistrad", they've clearly rebranded him the way they rebranded Nissa. He's no longer a poster child for B.

He's WB now. And his B is basically just a license to kill.
>>
>>46309809
Another possible idea: when Avacyn was gone, humans all got along because they were on the edge of extinction and had to set aside their petty differences. When she came back and humanity was back on the rise, they started turning on each other again because the monsters weren't as much of a threat anymore. Humanity's greatest enemy was itself. People from one nation started praying to Avacyn to kill people from the other nation, and vice-versa. And now she is granting all of their prayers at once.
>>
>>46309835
I moved out of my previous house 17 years ago and I raged when I saw that the new owners removed the old garden shed, even though I shouldn't care.

You can't explain it.
>>
>>46294284
Not in the last timeline but it's still up in the air for this one. Return to Kamigawa: Foolish Samurai edition when?
>>
File: 1458922143267.png (175KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
1458922143267.png
175KB, 265x370px
>>46271793
>>46271776
Phyrexia confirmed
>>
File: 1457555310950.jpg (663KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1457555310950.jpg
663KB, 1200x900px
>>46309698
They mad that he made a wicked hot goth super angel but they can appreciate those thighs.

Besides, the Markovs are still family and he probably gets mail from the other black sheep now and again.
>>
>>46309917
Character change as a natural evolution of the story? Extrapolating the consequences of what the change in status quo would have on a character and the people of the world? This is Wizards, anon. It was probably just a scary monster corrupting her.
>>
File: 1412193311873.jpg (35KB, 192x279px) Image search: [Google]
1412193311873.jpg
35KB, 192x279px
>>46311370
>mfw she had a vision of Not yawgmoth and is going full Karona
>>
>>46311411
as someone who knows very little of the old sets can someone explain to me what going "Full Korona" means?
>>
>>46311455
Karona was the embodiement of all of Dominaria's mana. She had a vision of yawgmoth and went crazy due to his influence. Wizards came out later and said that the being she saw wasn't Yawgmoth despite it clearly being Yawgmoth.
>>
>>46311370
Taking a plane with as much HFY as Innistrad and pulling a "humans are the real monsters" sounds the opposite of good.
>>
>>46311515
oh
>>
File: metzen and orcs.jpg (155KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
metzen and orcs.jpg
155KB, 600x600px
>>46302044
So, we're gonna get Orcs now?
>>
>>46302448
Avacyn Restored showed religion doing good things and helping people, anon.

We certainly can't have that. Gotta have Liliana show up and fedora tip her way through the plane
>>
File: 1421884227073.png (151KB, 421x500px) Image search: [Google]
1421884227073.png
151KB, 421x500px
>>46310577
I don't know what else that symbol could mean
>>
>>46311852
It's one of many red herrings.
>>
File: Creepy Waifu post.jpg (149KB, 850x1194px) Image search: [Google]
Creepy Waifu post.jpg
149KB, 850x1194px
>>46308351
>>46279273
>>46309809

>The prayers and thoughts of people corrupting Avacyn.

Any drawfags around? Should replace Elf in this pic with Avacyn.
>>
>>46271555
Why is Avacyn so fucking hot? I think she has made me into a lesbian. I just can't stop staring.
>>
>>46313505
>Why is Avacyn so fucking hot?
A non-angel creature you controlled died.
>>
File: 440px-Akroma.jpg (88KB, 440x600px) Image search: [Google]
440px-Akroma.jpg
88KB, 440x600px
>>46313505
The two hottest angels in Magic were literally created by men. So in a sense they're the products of sexual fantasies both in and out of the story.
>>
>>46313755
>Manface McTumblrhair
>Hot
Oh come on now.
>>
File: Image.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>46311620
Innistrad is gothic fiction, and gothic fiction is HFN. As opposed to other kinds of horror where the threat may be something completely alien like the Eldrazi, gothic villains are either humans or monsters created by human sins. Dragons and Eldrazi exist independently of humans, but vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and zombies (both the summoned kind and the stitched-together kind) come from us. Even demons are products of human worship.
>>
>>46313932
>>46313755
I prefer her alternate version.
>>
>>46314000
But there is a clear distinction between the people who do create that stuff and the people who don't. Innistrad wasn't as grey as you guys want it to be. AVR is a happy ending.

Bad people do bad things, but humanity overall is good. Almost every flavor text referring to humanity in Innistrad was very sympathetic.

Village Cannibals is a great card. It has great flavor. But had they implemented the idea that Avacyn rightfully turned on humanity because of some mad scientists, some power crazy necrophiliacs and products of Edgar Markov's alchemy, it would not be good.

It would be much much edgier.
>>
>>46314869
What
She just turned humanity cause some rocks
Is the most stupid explanation, but deus ex machina
anyother thing she says is just self excuses for her madness. you can see, sigarda got it right
>>
>>46315073
Yeah she didn't really go crazy naturally or due to anything humanity did.

Someone definitely fucked with her intentionally with the lead suspect at the moment being Nahiri
>>
>>46315073
>>46315126
Exactly. It is much less edgy for her to have been mind fucked than her willingly turning on humans in some sort of Barren Glory inspired zeal.
>>
File: SpaceMadness5.png (223KB, 400x304px) Image search: [Google]
SpaceMadness5.png
223KB, 400x304px
>>46271555
SPACE MADNESS!!!
>>
>>46279703

Please don't deride the MtG story, you may not care about it but some of us do
>>
>>46316396
And he is just as entitled to state his opinion as you, anon.
>>
>MtG
>lore
Why? It has zero fucking bearing on the game. You could be playing fucking ponies or hockey players and it would be the same fucking game.
>>
>>46271555
Now that is some bottom of the fucking barrel design, my Lord. Well, still not as bad as Chandra wearing a bra on the outside of her maille. That shit literally disoriented me, I became so confused that nothing made sense for probably a full minute. It was so absurd that I lost my grip on reality.
>>
>mtg lore

Fat neckbeard shitters who can't read real books detected
>>
>>46316514
The mechanics would be the same. But the market plan would be different, the quality factors would be different, the flavor would be different, but above all else the playerbase would change. There may be some overlap, but ponies appeal to a very different audience than hardcore fantasy.
>>
>>46271555
reminder that if you look at this shitty piece of mtg art long enough you see that this "thing" has a short dwarf arm and a fuckhuge long forearm on the other.
>>
>>46316514
Because playing a game for its mechanical value and ignoring any and all flavor attached is the opposite extreme.

Normal people are interested by the goblins, elves and dragons and think the art and the flavor is cool. It requires a certain amount of abnormal thinking to ignore all art, all flavor and focus entirely on how the mechanics function. If the lore didn't matter whatsoever, there would be no need for card art, creature types or color.
>>
>>46316679
The setting is usually decent for MTG

The Lore, aka storyline of characters doing things, is godawful tumblr writer levels of shit drivel.
>>
>>46316622
But it's not fantasy beyond the picture and flavour text, neither of which has any relevance on the game itself. In a tabletop fantasy game the fantasy setting is part of the logic of the game, of action and reaction. In MtG it's nothing. It's putting colour on a cake, it's still the same cake unless you change the actual flavour.
>>46316679
I wouldn't exactly call it abnormal when the vast majority of the world's card gaming is done with regular 52 card decks.
>>
>>46316729
Those games never featured the inclusion of any card art or fantasy themes in the first place. The cool factor of card art and certain themes in Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering are a part of the draw. Your normal MtG player does have some interest in the themes, art and basic story, just not the intricacies of the lore.

To be blind to one of the primary draws of the game is just as abnormal as focusing far too much on the particular draw.
>>
>>46316729
But presentation of that cake is also critical to that cake's success. Ask any chef. I'm not saying the mechanics of the game would change, but I am saying the overall game, including atmosphere and playerbase, would change.
>>
>>46316825
>Those games never featured the inclusion of any card art or fantasy themes in the first place
And what about that makes it abnormal to focus on the mechanical aspects of MtG?
>>
>>46316702
Settings are usually quite good, as is obvious by people often wanting to use them for RPGs.

It's just the official stories tend to ruin those settings for a lazy half-assed plotline, only to retcon the results later for whenever they return.
>>
>>46316679
>If the lore didn't matter whatsoever, there would be no need for card art, creature types or color.
Well, creature type and colour is represented mechanically, so those aren't invalidated by lack of lore. Card art can make it a lot easier and more intuitive to understand those mechanical aspects. This whole lore continuity shit however serves no purpose whatsoever, and is ridiculously bad to boot. I mean, even 52's have art. That doesn't mean they need lore.
>>
File: bear cub.jpg (23KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
bear cub.jpg
23KB, 223x310px
>>46316852
>and ignoring any and all flavor
You conveniently forgot to mention that bit as well. That's the abnormal part, utterly ignoring any flavor or art - one of the primary draws of the game.

The game would lose a lot of color and a lot of interest from a lot of people if card art was stripped away, card names were turned into strings of numbers, creature types were turned into strings of letters and abilities were renamed into three-digit numbers. Yes, it would still mechanically be the same game but it would be so dry and soulless that only abnormal elements would maintain any interest in the game at that point.

I mean, imagine if the card I've posted was reduced to:
>0758953 - 1E
>003 - UGJ
>2/2
with no card art or flavor, with even the colors just being reduced to A, B, C, D, E.

Is that a game you'd still be interested in? Is that a game that you'd play with just as much investment as you'd play current MtG?
>>
>>46316609
>You are only allowed to enjoy stories that are written in a book.

What is it like to be autistic?
>>
>>46317210
You keep saying "abnormal" when MtG is an extremely minor, and thus abnormal, occurrence within the card gaming scene, where the normality is exactly the thing you brand as abnormal.
>>
>>46317274
>having read enough books to know that the average novel is better than the writing for MtG is autism
Am I missing something? I mean, even this era of self-publishing hasn't been going on for long enough to lower averages to such a degree.
>>
>>46317316
But we're talking about MtG specifically. Are you insisting that the initial part of MtG's draw does not lie in its flavor, card art and the lore that is the source for both of those?

Are you going to say that the majority of players do not initially get into MtG because they think it looks cool?
>>
>>46317377
Its clear you haven't read enough books because you failed simple reading comprehension.
>>
>>46317390
I'm not going to say why people get into MtG because I haven't asked very many MtG players that question. Making assumptions like that would be very sloppy of me. On that note, do you know for sure that a significant portion of MtG's fanbase cares about the development of the lore?
>>46317438
You're gonna have to explain what you meant then, because that's the only meaning I can wring out of it.
>>
>>46317466
Why did you originally decide to play Magic the Gathering? Tell us about your first time experience.
>>
>>46317507
A friend of mine likes to make his own card games, with its own rules and art. I thought they were pretty fun, because they're more interesting than poker mechanically, so he gave me an old MtG deck he wasn't using anymore. I'm still just a casual player though, I've never even considered tournaments or shit like that.
>>
>>46317605
Well, you got into it because you were introduced by a friend. Lots of people have that route. Others get into it because of the flavor though and I know I did.

Heck, you see these discussions even outside of pure flavor threads. I mean, see these posts from the standard thread:
>>46316697
>>46316739
>>46316834
Flavor clearly means something to those people. It doesn't have zero bearing on the game for them. Thinking the vampires and angels are cool is not a strange thing among Magic players or something that should be ostracized. It's a part of this specific game's draw, that poker and other games lack.

If you're really not interested in the flavor and would rather ignore all flavor text and art, that's one less reason to play Magic over poker or any other game. One less reason to be interested and one more reason not to be playing.
>>
Let's go back to talking about Avacyn's heavenly chest and drop-dead gorgeous thighs.
>>
>>46318087
>drop-dead

Too soon
>>
>>46318405
They're to die for.
>>
File: but is not.png (498KB, 620x1108px) Image search: [Google]
but is not.png
498KB, 620x1108px
>>46318087
>yfw avacyn doesn't wear a bra
do you think she wears panties, please answer before the inquisition find out i asked
>>
File: My face when Jace d.jpg (63KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
My face when Jace d.jpg
63KB, 480x480px
>>46318405
>>46319533
>>
File: champion.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
champion.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>46309809
>Humans in Innistrad are garbage.
Excuse me?
>>
>>46271555
Great, my MTG waifu is impure. Thanks Wizards.
>>
File: GLORIOUS.gif (489KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
GLORIOUS.gif
489KB, 500x250px
>>46321078
>do you think she wears panties
God, I hope so. The thin black-strapped lady-of-the-night kind.
>>
>>46321466
Are you kidding? Corruption is sexy. Death and blood becomes her.
>>
>>46321492
No, it doesn't. I could have any vampire for that, or some of the cuter werewolves. Avacyn's purity is her asset, as much as Thalia's is her heroism and Tamiyo's is her scholarly nature.
>>
>>46321519
But now dem thighs are covered with metal bits, whips, spikes, blood, and claws. Mmmmmmmm.....

Taste, anon. You must acquire it.
>>
>>46321545
but i'd rather have her thighs be pure and wholesome rather than violated
>>
File: ChampInt.jpg (50KB, 620x300px) Image search: [Google]
ChampInt.jpg
50KB, 620x300px
>>46321446
My human Nigga
>mfw Champion and Thaila's Lieutenant will be a thing in Modern.
>>
>>46321519
There's something about corruption of that which was most pure that gets me.
>>
File: Avacyn the Purifier.jpg (765KB, 1200x1059px) Image search: [Google]
Avacyn the Purifier.jpg
765KB, 1200x1059px
>>46321558
They're still pure and wholesome. Look at how they glisten in the fires of burning sinners.
>>
>>46321559
Thalia's Lieutenant? What's that?
>>
File: mmmmm ainsley.jpg (77KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mmmmm ainsley.jpg
77KB, 1920x1080px
>>46321078
>mfw Avacyn doesn't wear a bra.
>>
>>46321446
See, this is what made Innistrad interesting. Humans are the bottom of the food chain, all their vaunted knowledge being useless except at making monsters and hiding. Even when you die you're still going to get nommed. But you still struggle to hold on to your humanity and be a hero.
>>
File: thaliaslieutenant.jpg (49KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
thaliaslieutenant.jpg
49KB, 265x370px
>>46321601
Champion of the Parish 2.0
>>
>>46321583
What's the purpose of that string thing hanging from her waste?
>>
>>46271555
It's all because Mikaeus was cucked, I'm sure. That evil demonic Chain Veil energy got sucked back into Avacyn when he got purified.
>>
File: 1457544217275.jpg (184KB, 2048x643px) Image search: [Google]
1457544217275.jpg
184KB, 2048x643px
>>46321558
They are still pure. Sorin is just exiling her to her extra planar room until she eases up the emo a tad.

S-she'll turn up in Eldritch Moon to save the day and rebuild that trust under a different name, you'll see!
>>
File: 95%.png (240KB, 428x456px) Image search: [Google]
95%.png
240KB, 428x456px
>>46321565
but how can you be her waifu if she want to purge all humans
>>
>>46271825

I find the concept of Planeswalkers, Oldwalkers specifically, getting assmad over being betrayed by other Planeswalkers, Oldwalkers especially, to be highly amusing.
>>
>>46321639
I'm not sure, but I can imagine a plethora of things. Imagine if it detatches. Imagine if it's a whip. A metal, bladed whip.
>>
>>46321683
Just wait until they find out how much they were nerfed. Ugin just thought he was a little weak from sleeping awhile, he'll be fucking nuclear when he learns he ain't a demigod.
>>
File: no parent.gif (493KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
no parent.gif
493KB, 500x213px
>>46321650
>S-she'll turn up in Eldritch Moon to save the day and rebuild that trust under a different name, you'll see!
Anon, I...
>>
File: dad just doesn't get me.png (961KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
dad just doesn't get me.png
961KB, 1280x1280px
>>46321650
>eases up the emo a tad.
>avacyn is a super enthusiastic borderline valley girl after he time out
>>
>>46321651
>How can you be her waifu
How did you figure out I was a woman?

But it's simple, anon. I just need to eat the heart of another angel to gain her strength, then ascend to gain a glorious pair of thighs and wings to match my evil angel waifu.
>>
File: 1458322022971.jpg (433KB, 1200x885px) Image search: [Google]
1458322022971.jpg
433KB, 1200x885px
>>46321777
Shut up! She'll be back under angelic witness protection! Just have to have faith and hope!
>>
>>46321785
I'd still do her. And let her do whatever she wants to me.
>>
>>46321825
>Just have to have hope
I get it.
>>
File: white mana is a hell of a drug.jpg (494KB, 1024x2593px) Image search: [Google]
white mana is a hell of a drug.jpg
494KB, 1024x2593px
>>46321806
but then you'd be a crazy angel too busy purging humans to scissor with avacyn
>>
>>46321825
>yfw isobel's somehow redeemed in eldritch moon
or those angels might've raped and killed her but whatever
>>
>>46322110
*hunters
>>
>>46322047
It doesn't matter. So long as I'm with my archangel I shall be pleased.
>>
>>46321825
Who makes the better waifu, Isobel or Thalia?
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.