[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does your fantasy government deal with those goddamned adventurers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: royal exasperation.png (305KB, 648x599px) Image search: [Google]
royal exasperation.png
305KB, 648x599px
How does your fantasy government deal with those goddamned adventurers fucking everything up all the time?
>>
>>46266989
The adventurers are the government.
>>
>>46266989

They deal with it as they deal with everything else: laws.
>>
>>46266989
By sending them on suicide missions into caves full of monsters and traps. That takes care of most of them, anyway.
>>
>>46266989
Rewards of wealth and fame for acts of heroism.
That or hunting them down like dogs.
>>
>>46266989

I hired other adventurers to deal with them. Then hire another batch to deal with them.
>>
>>46267216
This doesn't sound like a sustainable solution. After enough iterations, you're liable to wind up with some really badass and paranoid adventurers who are also your enemy.
>>
>>46267216
>adventurer based welfare economic platform
>>
Taxes for those who live in the realm and tollbooths for those passing through.
>>
>>46266989
A corp of what are essentially privateer-adventurers and bounty hunters. If a group of adventurers causes too much trouble and continue to, following warnings from the government, a squad will be sent out to deal with them.
There used to be a system of just putting bounties on the whole offending party but it just caused more chaos by drawing in more parties of adventurers, who inevitably fucked something else up.
>>
>>46266989
Giving them a plot of land and a noble title.

The king doesn't give a shit if they fuck up some other dude's country, but now they have a vested interest in not fucking things up at home.

Besides, the exotic treasures they'll bring home from adventures will be good for the local economy.
>>
>>46266989
We hire them into a kind of state-sponsored guild. Half adventurers, half mercenaries, a totally fool-proof way to put to use the people who don't want to sit down and live a civilized life.

All we really need to do is spend a (relatively small) amount of gold on outfitting them, and then point them in a direction with a problem that needs solving.

Another benefit of having them organized (somewhat, they're really stubborn types) is that they actually work rather well with our army and are part of the command and control structures, so that there aren't any incidents.

We still don't know what to do with any magical artefacts they find, as none that they've found yet have been powerful enough to warrant taking them away.
>>
in an old campaign my friends and I ran we basically had a history of massively fucking everything up in a town and then moving to next one. luckily though we recognized our faults and would always blame everything bad on wizards. by the time we reached the sixth or seventh town (we were tracking down a cult) word had spread that evil wizards were destroying everything, and in our last session the DM informed us of growing global anti-wizard leagues
>>
>>46266989
Tell them that there's a great treasure to be found in a far-away realm. Whether it actually exists or not doesn't matter, adventurers could probably find a dragon's hoard in a pile of cow dung.
>>
Okay folks, as hard as it is to believe, my Pathfinder group of 6 lvl 2 characters has destroyed 2 cities and 1 town in only 5 sessions.

Our GM is rolling with it pretty well, partly because he likes the fact that we`re causing chaos for the other two groups who are playing in the same game-world as us. Group A, and Team Evil.

My group, Group B (aka: Team Chaos!) started things out simple enough, with our GM dispensing some of the hot air and gathering our characters to do a simple delivery job. Take a box from one city to another across the arid wastes, and don`t open the box. We really should have inspected it after that.

We didn`t though, and when we eventually reached our destination, without having taken even 5 seconds to examine the box, we open it up, and release a monster that converted the entire city into anti-magic crystal when we killed it (Team Evil set us up!).

We turned around and `sold` the city to a nearby empire, for influence and wealth, because half of us used to play Rogue Trader with this GM. This also caused a war. The next city was destroyed figuratively, when the rogue crashed its economy while running a money scam.

The town was in our most recent session, which I wasn`t present for because I was working, but I was told the generals of what happened. The rogue, who`s a changeling, was getting a spell cast on him and decided to mess with the wizard by changing form a lot, which caused the wizard (actually a novice who was fumbling around with magic words) to freak out and miscast so bad that he summoned 2 horrible demons which destroyed most of the town and almost killed all of the party, but everyone managed to survive (because we have crazy luck).

Our GM tends to be both excited and frustrated by our antics, because he knows we never do anything boring, but that we also notice stuff about the setting he`s created, and try to do stuff with it.
>>
>>46268061
And realizing I forgot OP`s topic...

Adventurers are basically a separate class of people, when it comes to legal matters, since while my group is causing especially big waves, adventurers in general are considered too powerful, and too much of a wild card, to have most lands` standard laws applies to them.
>>
A state privateering guild sounds fun, actually. It never hurts to have friends in high places.
>>
>>46266989
The most insane, famous, powerful and infamous of all of society's marginals.

Either they go fuck up the dangers in the frontier and expand the empire, or learn that powerful people aren't all adventurers.

We had some sucess legalizing them into irregulars with loot rights, offering a coat of arms, colony rights, glorified babysitters for social and legal matters for what amounts to a labor tax, performing quests for us. That includes dealing with unlawful sanctioned adventurers.
>>
Issue them letters of marque and send them to the setting's equivalent of war-torn Darkest Africa. There's three possibilities here

1: They get killed. Problem solved.
2: They raid the kingdom's enemies out here, and generally cause trouble, while regarding the kingdom's outposts as bases worth protecting.
3: They conquer the area, in which case the war is over and there's now an allied nation there to trade with.

All are good.
>>
>>46267157
Basically this. People who flagrantly ignores the law of the land tend to end up on the wrong end of a pike.
Most successful adventurers are of the sponsored variety such as missionaries, mercenaries, spies, and explorers/far venturing tradesmen. As such they tend to be well aware of their limits and not push them heedlessly.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.