[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wtf MaRo. Are they really taking this shit THIS seriously?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 18

File: Screenshot_2016-03-25-04-33-11.png (228KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-25-04-33-11.png
228KB, 1080x1920px
Wtf MaRo. Are they really taking this shit THIS seriously?

Apologies for being a mobile poster but I was reading this on break and had to share.
>>
What the fuck?
>>
Non-issue that didn't require a thread to be made.
>>
>>46240186
That's... uncharacteristically aggressive for MaRo. Especially since the question wasn't particularly disrespectful, and could very possibly have been someone who actually likes the way the story has been going, and maybe just wanted to be clever.
>>
>>46240186
Sounds like someone struck a nerve. Maybe MaRo has had a bunch of story input and took offense
>>
It's nice how he's trying to push the idea that if you don't like the shitty story, you must not care about the shitty story.
>>
>>46241284
He's probably touchy because he's had tons of people giving Wizards shit for their retarded story changes in the last block. But to be fair, they deserve it. And they're the ones who said they wanted to make a group of planeswalkers into the Avengers anyway. If they can't take criticism and people calling them out on their bullshit, they might as well close up shop.
>>
>>46241304
He's always very open about his love for comic book stuff, perhaps he's been pushing for this superhero approach for a while now?
>>
>>46241304
maybe he's just a butthurt marveldrone, and doesn't appreciate being compared to DC
>>
>>46240186
>you may not care but others do

Like who MaRo, like who? I have met literally no one who was excited by the end of the BfZ block and, fuck you, you know it.
>>
>>46241319
And that's fine, but they don't win all the fucking time. Annihilation started out with the Nova Corps getting their asses handed to them and Galactus getting captured and turned into a death ray. And it took FOREVER for them (Nova etc) to actually beat up on Annihilus. But boy was it satisfying when they did.

I think multi-block stories should come back if they really want to push the story like they're doing.
>>
File: c4rd4r7_vSUpQ1zjGM.jpg (342KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_vSUpQ1zjGM.jpg
342KB, 750x450px
Jace is a special and magical boy who must always win by the power of mind rape.
>>
>>46241319
(Not that anon)
If that's true, I know who to blame for the degradation of the story now. Turning Magic's story into a comic book/superhero-styled story means we now have to deal with all the flaws of said genre. Massive retcons? Check. Worf effect? Check. Inconsistent writing? Check. Don't get me wrong, I love capeshit, but I also realize that the genre has a ton of flaws that nobody in the industry really wants to address.
>>
>>46241350
Except this is the first time that the Oathwatch has 'won,' because this is the first time that they're pushing the planeswalkers as superheroes.

You don't start off a comic book series with a crushing defeat. The issue is, we've known the characters in the series for the past five to ten years.
>>
>>46241391
>You don't start off a comic book series with a crushing defeat.
Yes, and you don't start a Superman story with him crushing Darkseid and the rest of Apokalips with his pinky finger. Now there is literally zero tension with the Gatewatch because whenever the story goes
>How will the Gatewatch ever defeat this new, invincible enemy?!
The audience will respond with
>Probably the same way the beat the supposedly unkillable Eldrazi: the writers will pull something out of their asses.
Nobody gives a fuck anymore.
>>
>>46241340
I'm presuming he means the writers. Maro probably gets a lot of comments about it and just wanted to stand up for them. I quite like the story though, as it does the job of world building and getting me excited for new cards. I don't have any expectations for it to win a Pullitzer or anything.
>>
>>46241318
Note that I took this after I heard from another anon that Wizards took down their original version of the same page because people flooded the page with negative comments.
>>
>>46241461
I don't blame him for standing up for the writers but in all honesty I don't know anyone who read 'and then the power of friendship and co-operation killed Ulamog and Kozilek and Zendikar was saved the end' and was happy, they liked the Eldrazi better than Zendikar.

If they'd have had the Gatewatch form after Zendikar was destroyed and pledged not to allow it to happen anywhere else, then been shown researching weapons and stuff Weatherlight Saga style I think people would have liked it more than 'we superheroes now'. Having 2 of the 3 Eldrazi titans, some of the most liked Magic villains, killed like bitches at the end of the first level to show off their power was galling.
>>
>>46241589
I liked Zendikar. Back when it was the D&D loot diving adventure plane.

But that plane is gone, and I was OK with the Eldrazi showing up. And I agree about the Eldrazi dying like punks, that was an awful decision
>>
>>46241589
>If they'd have had the Gatewatch form after Zendikar was destroyed
But if Zendikar was destroyed, that means things would have to change. And Magic is comics now, and in comics, nothing ever changes and events don't really matter. I hope you like feeling disappointed, because it's about to happen a lot more often from now on, mark my words.
>>
>>46241539
"All of these planeswalkers should die"
Almost pissed myself lol
>>
>>46241664
At this point, I agree with him. Planeswalker driven stories are dirt.
>>
>>46241677
In the thread where I posted that image the first time, we basically agreed that the best stories from BFZ and OGW were the ones that didn't focus on the walkers.
>>
>>46241677
Yea i agree. Also i hate seeing the same Walkers reprinted all the time. Fuck the justice league crap
>>
>>46241751
The Tazri story was pretty good - then again, it was Ken Troop, who is fucking masterful at writing female characters getting mindfucked.

>She had not liked Gideon Jura in her previous life, before Kozilek had saved her. But there was even more reason to hate him now. The mere presence of his opposition offended. How could such a puny, frail vessel have the temerity to challenge the lord of reality himself? Gideon Jura needed to be punished.

>Kozilek squeezed, and no mortal frame could withstand such pressure. Gideon Jura burst, and a bloody bag of ruptured flesh and broken bones fell limply to the ash-white earth below, there to join the corpses of his friends. Tazri cheered and leaped, ecstatic to be witness to such glory.

>A strange thrumming grew in Tazri's ears. It was not coming from the air, or through the ground. It was coming from inside her. The thrumming grew and deepened, and only gradually did Tazri guess at the sound.

>It sounded like laughter. The laughter of Kozilek.

>The thrumming resonated throughout the sphere. Tazri shared in her master's joy, but could not perceive the cause of such mirth. Kozilek raised an arm, and there was a ripple in space, and Gideon Jura appeared once more before them, whole and resurrected. He was once more clenched in Kozilek's fist, but in his terror and screams it was apparent that Gideon Jura remembered. Remembered dying, and now he was to die again. Kozilek squeezed and Gideon Jura once more found the embrace of death.

>Tazri squealed in delight. Now she understood her master's mirth. Her master wielded time and space. What consequence to manipulate a small part of such materials to ensure an impudent enemy be made to suffer? Again, and again, and again.

>Another twitch, another ripple, and Gideon Jura was reborn again, and his terrified cries were delicious.
>>
>>46241751
The best two stories in the last year have been Drana Eats An Eldrazi and Sigarda Realises Everything's Fucked, neither of them involved walkers at all
>>
>>46241801
Can you be in charge of naming their articles please?
>>
>>46241801
Both of which were also written by Ken Troop.

Can we just make that guy /tg/'s official favourite MtG writer?
>>
>>46241801
The Giant Terror Frog was a pretty good one, I thought
>>
>>46241780
Here's hoping for a new Tamiyo card!
But we all know it's not going to happen and she's going to die dramatically to give Jace his own Uncle Ben :'(
>>
>>46241828
>Here's hoping for a new Tamiyo card!
Nope, we'll get a U/W Jace instead, since Jace will be driven to goodness by Tamiyo's honorable sacrifice. We all know it's coming.
>>
>>46241797
Is this like a sexual thing for him?
>>
>>46241621
I don't even get why they killed them. Its not like all of them teaming up to punch out Ulamog and then trap him again couldn't have been a satisfying victory.

Now we're down to 1Eldrazi forever.
>>
>>46241848
>White
>Good
Konda pls
>>
File: Ken Troop.png (314KB, 510x700px) Image search: [Google]
Ken Troop.png
314KB, 510x700px
>>46241801
>Drana Eats An Eldrazi
Agreed, really liked this one for exploring the Zen Vamps, and the mentality of a mono-Black hero.

>>46241822
Just found pic related when I was searching for the other Facebook post.
>>
>>46241828
If Jace is looking at her journal trying to find clues, is she already dead?
>>
>>46241848
>>46241828
Thus ridding the world of any trace of kamigawa, to maximise set sales posivity.

So which do you think we'll see first: Return to Return to Ravnica, or Return to Return to Mirrodin?
>>
>>46241862
Yes, another fuckup. Instead of squirreling away the titans to set up something for the future, or to just dig them back up when writer's block hits, they just decided to kill them.

No, wait. Actually, this makes sense. Comic book supervillains almost never survive the movies because it wouldn't be as satisfying if they died. But in a serial publication, that's a bad move. Holy shit, Wizards is literally just copying the movies without realizing the differences in the media is going to fuck them over. Fucking morons.
>>
>>46241876

No, she's in the art for Anguished Unmaking going "No wtf sorin no"
>>
File: Jace Guild Arbiter.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jace Guild Arbiter.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>46241876
The full art for Anguished Unmaking shows her very much alive. The art for Catalog also shows her alive.

>>46241895
Mirrodin. The Phyrexians just scream big comic book event villain.

>>46241848
I actually wanted Jace to be WU for a while, mostly so then he'd stop being the mono-Blue walker in the core sets (this was a while ago). Even made this.
>>
>>46241751
The Kiora and Nixilis stories were good enough, the issue is that the Origin Five are the blandest possible walkers in each of their colours.
>>
>>46241929
So very much true. They're basically all just the same generic hero character, but interpreted through four different colors. Especially Nissa, who got her backstory re-written to make her more of an outright hero than she was previously, and stripping her of her experimentation with Black mana, though I did hear that was re-retconned back in later.
>>
>>46241801
>Drana Eats An Eldrazi
Which one was this?
>Sigarda Realises Everything's Fucked
I did like this one.

No mention of The Gitrog Monster though? That one was one of the best in a long while. They made a giant frog seem more eldritch and terrifying than the Eldrazi Titans.
>>
>>46241895
>Thus ridding the world of any trace of kamigawa

>tfw I'm one of the few people who loved the story and flavor of Kamigawa

That plane fucking rocked in terms of story
>>
>>46241965
Memories of Blood, also by Ken Troop

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/memories-blood-2015-09-16

Here's the MTGSalvation wiki page for Uncharted Realms/Official Magic Fiction/Magic Story (why did they change the name from cool to two flavors of dogshit?). It lists dates, authors, and characters, so it's easy to search for things.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Magic_Story
>>
>>46241856
We don't know but we see:
>Drana feast on an Eldrazi's blood and almost become an Eldrazi in the process, featuring vivid mind-fuckery.
>Tazri getting mind-fucked by Kozilek into experiencing the start of her life to the heat-death of the Multiverse over and over again.
>Avacyn's logical being distorted and warped by some atonal buzz in the back of her mind and her brainwashing Bruna and Gisela into being identical drones.

There's definitely a common theme with his work.
>>
>>46241976
I agree, but there's always whining and official derpery whenever it comes up at wizards.
Same with Lorwyn.

Not that I'd want a return to lorwyn, since the story has mostly been told.

They need to do more awesome homebrew shit instead of reprinting what's sold over again.
>>
>>46241965
My personal distaste for the story was that the way it depicts the Gitrog Monster has nothing to do with the card itself. It seems like little more than a cheap 'glory to the hypnotoad' joke that came out of nowhere. There was no evidence of this hypnosis anywhere earlier in the story or on the card, leading to it looking like an asspull. It's just a huge toad after all, not an Eldrazi.
>>
>>46242017
I'd rather have someone be passionate about something I'm not terribly fond of and take the time to write it well than have a vaguely good idea turn into vaguely good idea slurry after being run through focus groups and the sales team a thousand times.
>>
>>46242055
Yes, storytelling by committee is the worst. Which I guarantee you is what we're going to see a lot of in the future. All the planeswalker stories will be the same generic hero stuff over and over again, while the stories that focus in the planes, you know, the things that actually draw people in, will be far more interesting, but also never get the spotlight because they don't feature the Jacetice League.
>>
File: 8DE8J.gif (499KB, 350x198px) Image search: [Google]
8DE8J.gif
499KB, 350x198px
>there will never be a Return to Alara
>if there is it will be about how Jace the Child of Alara has been kidnapped by Emrakul as Investigate becomes an evergreen
>>
>>46242100
I seriously doubt Investigate will becomes an evergreen. Skulk though, definitely.

Though I have to ask, what would be the point of going back to Alara? They already went through the plane's one plothook already, and they're sure as shit not going to try a shard set again. Maybe focus on the different factions mingling, maybe forced together to fight that one Grixis woman from Commander 2015?
>>
>>46242100
If we went back to Alara they'd find some hamfisted explanation for the shards being separate again and everything being literally exactly as it was when the Alara block first started. WoTC hates actually developing planes.
>>
seeing this just reinforces my belief that MaRo was a driving force behind the Gatewatch idea. He's tried forcing the stupid ongoing plotline idea since the fucking Weatherlight saga, and it was just as shit then as it is now.

The worst part is that they realized that trying to tell that kind of story with a TCG doesn't work once already, but for some stupid reason they're going right back to trying instead of focusing on the planes themselves, which is what people actually want to see.
>>
>>46242033
I think Kamigawa soured a lot of people because it came after Mirrodin. It was parasitic, yeah, but having it come after one of the most busted blocks ever designed was not the best

And I agree about homebrew stuff. Tarkir fucking rocked until Sarkhan fucked it up.
>>
>>46241338
Someone test this theory and call them the Oathvengers instead.
>>
>>46242100
>there will never be a Return to Alara

Anon, stop. It hurts too much.

If I may go on a tangent though, I'd love to see a shards vs wedges block but I can't imagine the amount of design fuckery that would take so I know it'll never happen.
>>
>>46242156
There were a bunch of legitimate issues with Kamigawa that people tend to overlook. Lore and a solid limited environment were basically all the block had going for it.
>>
File: 1415682470904.gif (213KB, 248x248px) Image search: [Google]
1415682470904.gif
213KB, 248x248px
>>46242156
That tends to happen with cooldown blocks. I remember people whining about Masques block wayyy back in the day because you actually had to pay for creatures and give up resources to get things.

>>46242143
>>46242100
>pic related

>>46242090
It's also shitting up design space for chances at actual interesting walkers, or as interesting as they get these days.
>>
>>46242163
Shards vs wedges wouldn't work unless it was 2 shards vs 3 wedges or they otherwise split them up like that. Mechanically its very difficult to do.
>>
>>46242232
Do another threefer block like Khans, maybe?
>World of wedges
>World of shards
>Now slam them into each other really hard and do callbacks
>>
>>46241897
Yep. If this were a superhero movie is would make sense, but they need to treat it as a comic book. You can't just kill off established characters Willy nilly, or else you'll quickly run out of interesting stuff unless you start reviving people from the dead.
>>
>>46242277
Despite the 'limitless design space of Magic the Gatheringâ„¢,' there's not enough design space for a a three-color block to be viable.
>>
>>46242278
And speaking of that, you think they'll ever go back to Theros to finish up with elspeth, or is the whole mess just gonna get swept under the rug because can't do another theros because theros was shit?
>>
>>46242320
Theros was massively successful, in commercial terms, from beginning to end.
>>
>>46240186
Wow, seriously touchy. From now on I'm calling it the Jacetice League.
>>
>>46242299
No, I mean those are the sets
>Set one is wedge factions with interplay and mechanics
>Set two is shard factions with interplay and mechanics
>Set three is everything going completely fucking nuts as they do a Rath overlay or become coterminous or something
>>
>>46241319
Capeshit's not as popular in the rest of the world as it is in America. Why they took the story in that direction, I don't know, it seems like too big a risk.
The fact that they now take offense to people calling them out on it is beyond me.
>>
File: what the fuck.png (8KB, 676x193px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.png
8KB, 676x193px
>>46241999
>why did they change the name from cool to two flavors of dogshit?
Because people were confused about the first name and didn't know it was the lore part of the site. In fact the answer to most of the "why did wizard change that and now it sucks" question is because they try to catter to 12 years old and retard.
>>
>>46242350
Superhero movie are the new cool thing right now.
>>
>>46241856
If it's not, it should be. I wonder how much he charges for ERP sessions.
>>
>>46242385
Movies, not the comics, nor their lore or anything behind it.
They're today's equivalent of 90's action movies, except the fact that it's based on comics excuses how over the top they are. Nothing more.
>>
>>46242350
What's wrong with capeshit anway? Isn't that the exact direction they are trying to go with the new planeswalkers? I imagined planeswalkers being turned into X-men, a big cast of rotating characters easily recognizable by color schemes and silhouettes.

Rosewater needs to realize that some campyness is unavoidable with capebois. There is nothing wrong with comparing the gatewatch to the justice league. Hell, this gives the story room for a legion of doom for all the bad guys. This even opens up a story spot for a character to be the "wolverine," somebody who is kind of with the good guys, but not part of their org. People eat this shit up. Tropes are not a bad thing.
>>
>>46242299
Even Maro doesn't say the design space is limitless.
>>
>>46240186
The guy's mistake was calling Oath Justice League. They're Avengers. And you know how fans of one get pissy when confused with the other.
>>
>>46243321
As I pointed out here >>46241371 and here >>46241897 the reason people aren't liking this shift to superhero-styled stories is because A) there are flaws within that genre that Wizards will likely never fix, if they can even recognize them, and B) they're just trying to copy the popular comic book movies without realizing that the fundamental differences in the two different storytelling media is going to fuck them over.

Basically, they're shifting to Jacetice League stories out of their own personal wants, not because they think it will actually make the story of the game better. Which is what people actually kinda care about. Fucking hell, it's just history repeating itself, really. They wanted planeswalkers out of the spotlight, so they depowered them, now they're back in the spotlight again. AND THEY'RE MAKING ALL THE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN. Someone else even pointed out how they're trying to tell a story through cards again, which is something they stopped doing for a while. Though given the quality of the standalone novels, or lack thereof, I can kinda see why they wanted to take the story back in-house.

Personally, I think the best option would be to make the PLANE the central point of every story, with planeswalker shenanigans happening in the background, only coming to the focus once every so often, possibly in supplemental sets. I think the core set would've been a good idea for this setup, as it would essentially serve as a recap of all the little planeswalker things that happened the previous year. Though the core set's dead, I guess it would have to be changed to the commander set then. Damn, or maybe planechase?
>>
>>46243574
I don't really understand why they ditched the core sets. Those things served an excellent function for standard play, and ultimately meant you could keep some of the boring shit out of the blocks.
>>
>>46243574
Even better, just do the PLANE for the first set/block, and every time they do an obnoxious return set talk about jace fucking about or trying to fix things or whatever.
So
>Block 1: Ravnicans gonna Rav
>Block 2: Jace and Co. shit around in the ravnica we already know

>Block 1: Indiana Jonesland SUDDENLY CTHULHU
>Block 2: Jace and Co. "No, I must fight the cthulhus"

Etc.
>>
>>46243833
That would work much better. Imagine if Battle for Zendikar had been an entire set just establishing the planar residents fighting against the lesser Eldrai, before Ulamog or the Planes walkers really show up. Then they both pop up set 2 for the climax to finish things off, and we don't have to have both Eldrazi present just to maintain tension.
>>
>>46243680
The core sets did have their issues. For one, it was in an odd place where it had to be nonthreatening to newbies to the game, but still had to offer something to people who'd been around for a while. That's why core sets had really awkward cards no beginner would know what to do with, like this guy. Also, the core sets couldn't really have an identity, and everything was just kinda generic as a result. Also, the move from three sets a block to two really meant the end of the core set. However, I have to say, I do kinda enjoy a vanilla setting from time to time, and I did like how they would go back to some older keywords and make new cards with them. The fact that the commander sets do this too makes me feel like they're the successor to the core sets in a few areas.

>>46243833
See, now THIS is comics.
>First block: Focus on the residents and events of the plane. In the background, a planeswalker picks up a MacGuffin.
>Return block: MacGuffin becomes important, puts the spotlight on the planeswalker.
This is something comics actually do. A main plot and a mostly unconnected background plot. The background plot continues for a while until it becomes the main plot. But in movies, they don't plan nearly that far ahead. Most times, it's just a few hints at a sequel. Again, this is why comic book villains always die in the movies, it ties up all the loose ends. But that means you've also denied a story to stand out by itself and tie up the loose ends.

>>46243973
What you're talking about would also see changes in the original Zendikar block though.
>>
>>46243574
>They wanted planeswalkers out of the spotlight, so they depowered them, now they're back in the spotlight again. AND THEY'RE MAKING ALL THE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN.

They never wanted to get planeswalkers out of the spotlight. They wanted to get rid of Urza and pals because they were shitty unmarketable characters.

>Personally, I think the best option would be to make the PLANE the central point of every story, with planeswalker shenanigans happening in the background, only coming to the focus once every so often, possibly in supplemental sets. I think the core set would've been a good idea for this setup, as it would essentially serve as a recap of all the little planeswalker things that happened the previous year. Though the core set's dead, I guess it would have to be changed to the commander set then. Damn, or maybe planechase?

Good idea. let's shift focus away from the most hyped cards in every set. Let's put planewalkers in the background instead of on boxarts that cause thousands of people to dream of opening their favorite character every time they burn $4.

The central fantasy of the game revolves around telling the player "you are a planeswalker." I've been introducing players to the game for over fifteen years now, and every single one of them identifies with a planeswalker at some point. Every single new player takes it personally when they open a planeswalker from a pack and play with it when they try to tick their loyalty up or block for them. Urza connected with nobody.
>>
>>46244044
>>46243680
Forgot to post "this guy"
>>
>>46244055
I did not mean the literal fucking background of a piece of art. And I don't think not emphasizing them takes away from what people like about them. Look at Sorin, motherfucker hasn't done anything in the last two blocks he had cards in. He was still on a few cards, sure, but he didn't impact the actual PLOT in any remarkable way.
>Innistrad: Time to save Avacyn. [Thalia does it] Oh, thanks.
>Tarkir: Time to find Ugin. Oh wait, he's dead. Shit. [Sarkhan does all the work of reviving Ugin] Oh hey, you're back! Sweet.

Also, part of why I wanted the planeswalker to be in the background is to they could be completely new to the plane and thus unfamiliar with it and thus serve as a proxy for the reader, without acting like a superhero and getting all the attention.
>>
>>46244055
...I rather liked urza. He was batshit, but understandable. I will say the supporting cast improved things immensely, though.

>Barrin's there to go "You seriously don't see anything wrong with this yes I know it's to fight phyrexia, but still"
>Teferi's there to sass everyone and everything
>The weatherlight crew is there to figure out what the fuck is even going on
>>
>>46244221
This. I would take ten sets of "Tamiyo Goes Worldhopping And Looks At Stuff And Maybe Nudges Some Things To Figure Out What's REALLY Going On"
"Maybe With Some Other Walkers Showing Up To Fuck With Things"
>>
>>46244306
Yeah, I always wanted to know what Tamiyo was doing. I think she hung out in a lighthouse with some guy, IDK. Though I do want to know how she would excuse her appearance to Innistrad natives.
>>
>>46242044
Its a horror, all the horrors are things that make you go insane.
>>
>>46242129
meren is a jundian, who discovered jund style death magic.
>>
>>46244470
Right. I knew that, I just got "Grixis" and "Jund" confused in my head. Sorry. Speaking of, I'd like to see how the few still-living Grixis guys are doing. I'm pretty sure they moved into Jund, or another plane with Green mana. Man, meeting Alarans from the other shards must've been weird. I always love the Bant example where they ride lions and shit, but the lions in Naya are people.
>>
>>46244419
>Tamiyo Goes To Norseland And Watches A Human/Giant War Go On For A Bit, Guest Starring Nissa Learning More Faggy Elf Shit
>Tamiyo Goes To A Dead Plane Running On A Ghostly Ecology And Almost Dies, Guest Starring Lilliana Being A Bitch As Usual
>Tamiyo Accidentally Wakes Up A Sentient Plane With A Serious Case Of Schizophrenia, Guest Starring Jace Trying Not To Get Mindfucked
>Tamiyo Wanders Around Through What Oldfags Recognise As Rath, Guest Starring Kiora Looking For Sea Monsters
>Tamiyo Sits In A Library In An Impossible Dungeon/Library/City/Cave System World While Monster Politics Happens, Guest Starring Chandra Threatening To Set Shit On Fire
>>
>>46244518
I suspect it was an alliance ruining exodus, the red necromancers going to jund and the blues going to esper. Perhaps the grixis espermancers are making etherium zombies while the bolder souls who went to jund are hunting dragons to turn into their weapons of death.
>>
>>46244639
No, not the necromancers. They people who were fighting them.
>>
>>46242360
> people who put no effort into understanding things don't understand things, so we'll spell everything out

This is why the story is shit and the recent draft formats were crap
>>
>>46244782
Sometimes I forget just how nicely designed the Shards were. Each of them really did feel like a fully developed world.
>>
>>46244831
I understand what you mean and think you're correct, but I will play Devil's advocate for Wizards when they talk about the intelligence of their players. As someone who has been on the Custom Card Threads here for a while, I guarantee you that even people who have played the game for years will make mind-boggling mistakes when it comes to mechanics. Magic is an incredibly complex game, so I can't really blame Wizards for at least trying to explain things more clearly. But changing the name of Uncharted Realms? Yeah, dumb.

>>46244842
And the aesthetics were spectacular. Just look at these lands.
>>
>>46244589
Let me know the minute you get hired by Wizards and I'll start believing again.
>>
>>46243574
>They wanted planeswalkers out of the spotlight, so they depowered them

They didn't depower them to get them out of the spotlight, they depowered them because they wanted them to be more of a focus, and depowering them would let them print cards for them. Notice how every post-Llorwyn block has been about Planeswalkers fucking around?

There was a time when they shifted focus away from planeswalkers, and that was after the Weatherlight Saga came to a close. People were fed up with Gerrard and Urza and all their bullshit every block, so they shifted to the Otaria stuff with the Cabal, then eventually realized that they could make the planes themselves the star of the show, and starting with Mirrodin began a long string of blocks about different, non-dominaria planes with self-contained storylines and basically no planeswalker involvement whatsoever. And it was great, because a TCG is about the worst possible medium for serial storytelling, but great for worldbuilding.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the planes people enjoy the most tend to be the ones that were created during this period. Innistrad is an exception, but planeswalker involvement in the original Innistrad block was basically an afterthought.
>>
>>46240186
CHARGE YOUR PHONE
>>
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/141666848858/your-response-to-the-question-about-tamiyo-joining

"I do not want you needlessly insulting my coworkers and their work."

Is he fucking retarded?

"Muh...muh... Jace poster boy"
>>
>>46242017

I am kinda sad about losing two of the powerpuff girls to this and in that sort of way.

I wonder if they'll actually get Legendary cards or if they ended up too fucked up for that. I'm almost certain they won't actually be back from that level of mind-fuck.
>>
>>46245926
I do get the feeling he received a lot more of justice league comments that were worse, but if anything he should have just ignored all of them entirely, instead of picking the most innocent sounding one to rail on.
>>
>>46246025
He should also take into consideration people fucking hate Jace. And they should move on with other characters.
>>
>>46246025
Or at least mentioned that he had gotten a bunch of mean-spirited questions in the original response rather than just blowing up on somebody who might have just thought they were being clever.

>>46246066
A very vocal minority hates Jace. overall he's by far the most popular planeswalker.
>>
>>46246104
>overall he's by far the most popular planeswalker.
I'm curious to know if this is based on people actually liking his character, or his cards.
>>
>>46246104
What market research shows that. Oh rtr and worldwake sold well, jace is best seller.
>>
>>46246066
Thing is, the question didn't even mention Jace. Just if Tamiyo might join. Its not like they would have much reason to turn her down, since its not like they can only have 1 of each color
>>
>>46241999
Damn. That story really is good.

>>46246104
>overall he's by far the most popular planeswalker
I'd guess it's because he is a blank slate onto which people can self insert. Or something
He's bland as fuck.
>>
Atleast someone is INTERESTED in the shit story they decided to make. The guy made a joke... someone must have shit in maros cereal jesus what a dick
>>
>>46240186
What's got Maro so upset?
>>
>>46249828
Basically, he got trolled a bunch one day by anons who aren't fans of the Gatewatch concept.
>>
>>46240186
I applaud the man.
His job is to rile up online manchildren to generate publicity and boy oh boy wizards sure gets what they paid the man for.
>>
>>46250064
>generate publicity
How does this generate publicity? The only people talking about it are people already playing the game. I think your tinfoil hat is on too tight, anon.
>>
File: 1315788251202.png (218KB, 360x614px) Image search: [Google]
1315788251202.png
218KB, 360x614px
>>46241340
Don't forget the tumblr teens, those transfags are loving this shit, which as lesbo milfwolf joins the gaywatch
>mfw the added a lot more black (nigger) humans and even an angel.
>>
>>46250568
There's like five or six cards with black people on them in the set, versus two or three in Innistrad. If that really upsets you this much, you might need to go outside.
>>
>>46250614
>Going outside
>Where all the black people are
Anon plz
>>
>>46250614
>they stained the purity of angels making a nigger angel
That cannot be forgiven
>>
File: 700ade5e19[1].png (52KB, 544x911px) Image search: [Google]
700ade5e19[1].png
52KB, 544x911px
>>46240186
This is the reason why he took it that seriously.
>>
>>46251382
Maro, stop please
>>
>>46251382
We should start spamming maro with more jacetice league questions to see him explode again
>>
>>46250208
Just that two sentences created this thread with 100+ posts, and probably on other forums as well.
The man have kept mtg relevant in online games forums by writing stuffs that can piss off neckbeards and manchilds with the purpose of said neckbeards making threads to cry and whine.
>>
>>46252439
None of the people in this thread are going to go buy cards because of it, which is the purpose of publicity.

Not all publicity is good publicity, despite what some people may say.
>>
>>46246104
>A very vocal minority hates Jace. overall he's by far the most popular planeswalker.

That's like saying the latest pop-starlet's auto-tuned single is the most popular song, since it's played all the time, and people that don't like it are the vocal minority. Never mind that the reason it gets played all the time has nothing to do with people's choice, and all by the publisher paying for radio airtime, like WotC printing more and more Jaces...
>>
>>46241677

That's just because WotC is currently cancer and neowalkers are shit.

Some of the best old stories, nay, almost all of them except for a few, revolved around planeswalkers. Urza, Teferi, Freyalise, Serra, etc.
>>
>hurr we have to end weatherlight saga becuz time for new characters
>JACE JACE JACE JACE JACE

Fucking niggers where's my Kamahl return.
>>
>>46250568
/pol/ plz go
>>
File: 1458765267950.jpg (47KB, 680x641px) Image search: [Google]
1458765267950.jpg
47KB, 680x641px
>>46254939
Is that the new defacto insult, if you don't think all this tumblr shilling is effecting the story, then you are pretty blind. I don't see why a character's sexual orientation matters in the story if the story is toned down for kids. Most this stories are written like Bad fanfiction, if you want to do gay, trans, or what ever, at least make it well written other wise it just looks forced as fuck. Also I am /tv/ bro thru and thru, so go cuck yourself you mothercucker
>>
File: 1458248298792.jpg (83KB, 387x412px) Image search: [Google]
1458248298792.jpg
83KB, 387x412px
>>46255842
No, it's in the rules.
>>
File: mfw someone's being clever.jpg (237KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
mfw someone's being clever.jpg
237KB, 760x596px
>>46246104
People who think they are clever are the absolute worst. Those motherfuckers think that they are saying that thing for the first time ever.
>>
>>46244929
Damn. I didnt even play during Alara, but I recognized the shards right away.

Bant looks very cool to live in.
>>
>Fair enough. It is our plan for the Gatewatch roster to grow (or shrink) with time. There is a chance Tamiyo could join.
Literally the Avengers/Justice League.
>>
File: 1430383603298.jpg (71KB, 559x598px) Image search: [Google]
1430383603298.jpg
71KB, 559x598px
>>46250568
>black (nigger) humans
Repetitiveness for the sake of being edgy. That's a new one I've never heard before kek
>>
>>46250568
>lesbo milfwolf

This sounds hot.
>>
>>46255842
You're supposed to use 'triggered' memes to mock other people getting triggered anon.
>>
>>46251382
Fuck off Mark. You want civility? Take some honesty. You do something retarded, we call it retarded. How's that for calling things by their actual names?
>>
>>46258365
So did your parents name you mistake or were they too busy sugar coating it like all the shit you eat.
>>
>>46259310

B-but that guy is against sugar coating.
>>
>>46259396
shut it fatty, I'm trying to prove a point here and it ain't that the nurse can't find veins under all the fat on your arms.
>>
File: Boros-land.jpg (90KB, 652x473px) Image search: [Google]
Boros-land.jpg
90KB, 652x473px
>>46256763
I say that because when people talked about this new angel, it would get like 5-7 post of people going, what are you talking about the mana cost is red not black.
>>46256446
Wait happened to this place, it used to be a place where I could speak my mind, even if my personal feelings were negative or offensive. I don't like they are diversifying mtg so suddenly and so shoehorn'd in stuff to sell pack to the high school tumblr crowd.
>>
>>46240186

Nobody is allowed to be even remotely disparaging towards anything magic related on Maro's hugbox.
>>
>>46260414
>OMG Maro do u liek bananays? XDDD
>>
>>46240186

>Maro acted like the little bitch he is because somebody said something mean about magic.

Business as usual.
>>
>>46251218

Wasn't there a time-shifted nigger angel back in Time Spiral? The only angel who is a dude, too.
>>
>>46241624
That's... quite the omen.
>>
>>46251382
okay

zenditurd's story was shit
>>
>>46251382
I'm not a fan of MaRo. But I totally understand where he is coming from from this. I still hate the Jacetice League though.
>>
>>46260756
This grim forecast I give to thee:
thy sorrow grown each year thou see
and lest thy breast may swell with hope
know that all joy's beyond thy scope.
Thy fortune wanes as days slip past
and evil tidings follow fast--
hard on their heels are tidings worse
so know, anon, this is thy curse:
thy disappointments wax tenfold
and horrors lurk in ranks untold
awaiting thee hours, days, months hence--
against this fate there's no defence.
>>
>>46259642
Well you failed.
>>
>>46260934
I am simultaneously pleased and upset.
Thanks, and good work.
>>
>>46260764
Naaaaailed it
>>
>>46260910
>But I totally understand where he is coming from from this.
Then you're an idiot too. Read the message, not the language.
>>
>>46240186

I am now obligated to call them the jacetice league forever now.
>>
>>46261021
He's upset people are being mean to him in his happy place, about something he cares for to some extent, I mean it's his job. I can sympathize with that to an extent. He's still a bit of a baby though who makes retarded decisions.
>>
Why is Agrus Kos okay but black werewolf hunters aren't?
>>
>>46261117
So? He should man up and get over it, or maybe a job in PR isn't for him.
>>
>>46261139
The same reason being gay is ok but gay marriage isn't.
>>
>>46261139
What's "wrong" with Agrus Kos?
>>
>>46261139
Kos lives on a plane that while inspired by a single nation isn't monocultural.
>>
>>46243574
>Personally, I think the best option would be to make the PLANE the central point of every story, with planeswalker shenanigans happening in the background, only coming to the focus once every so often, possibly in supplemental sets.

This. When the focus of the story is on the planeswalkers, the planes and non-planeswalker characters that inhabit those planes become nothing more than background scenery.

>I think the core set would've been a good idea for this setup, as it would essentially serve as a recap of all the little planeswalker things that happened the previous year.

Changing the core sets to focusing on the planeswalkers and their planar travels like Origins did would have been great. Give the core sets a unique identity, while keeping the planeswalker's drama and the stories of the main blocks separate.
>>
>>46263916
Nothing. Kos is the best character and the only rare Boros creature card from the first Ravnica set that didn't blow
>>
I don't mind stories about planeswalkers, but only if it's about planeswalkers dealing with other planeswalkers.
Planeswalkers dealing with individual plane issues feels like a boxer taking on a cripple because planeswalker essentially cannot lose without diabolus ex machina. If something doesn't go their desired course, they just 'walk away. This is the exact problem with Nicol Bolas; at worst you can just "foil their plans" and do no harm to them whatsoever.
Heliod killing Elspeth is an example of that ex machina. It comes out of left field and wasn't a particularly satisfying twist.
Unless you're another planeswalker, which then you can hunt them across the cosmos and stuff and that's cool.
So if there's an issue on a plane, have the planar inhabitants be the primary resolver of that issue. Planeswalkers can deal with the multiversal stuff.
This, in effect, is why I didn't have a lot of problem with Battle For Zendikar and Oath of the Gatewatch. They were cheesy, sure, but the actual writing was okay. But Ravnica and Theros were annoying as hell. What if everything goes wrong for the heroes on those planes? "Well, we walk away and don't ever come back." Bluh.
>>
>>46265072
Razia?
>>
Anyone like to think about what would have happened if the planeswalkers had remained super powerful yet self centered beings and planeswalker cards had just been named something else.
Like gods, just summoning gods that acted like planeswalkers do now.

I think the myojin of nights reach would be a nore interesting protagonist than any of the brady walkers.
>>
>>46266843
>and planeswalker cards had just been named something else.
Minor Planeswalkers.
>>
>>46241284
>aggressive
Nigga what?
>>
>>46267254
passive aggressive.
>>
>>46266327
Razia is famously awful. Which sucks, because logically she should be one of the most powerful creatures on the plane in a straight fight. She only died because she was rused by Szadek.
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.