[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fantasy Setting >has cardinal directions >even though

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 2-cardinal-direction.jpg (23KB, 350x336px) Image search: [Google]
2-cardinal-direction.jpg
23KB, 350x336px
>fantasy Setting
>has cardinal directions
>even though the cardinal directions are named after germanic godesses and mythologies of our world.
>>
The best fantasy settings are low fantasy and actually set in classical Germany and its surroundings. See Darklands and related materials.
>>
>>46220155
why even have fantasy in it at this point?
>>
>>46220223
For the dragons
>>
>>46220132
>fantasy setting
>people speak english
>>
File: bottom pains.jpg (23KB, 452x350px) Image search: [Google]
bottom pains.jpg
23KB, 452x350px
>>46220132
>getting triggered by cardinal directions
>>
>>46220262
everyone knows that english is just the "basic" of a universe.

In fact, you're fantasy guys are speaking in some fantasy language, but english is just the narrative translation for the players
>>
>>46220132
>Rimwards
>Hubwards
>Spinwards
>Widdershins

Your move, OP.
Your fucking move.
>>
>>46220333
Fuck, forgot my picture. Well played, Op. Well played.
>>
>>46220279
>everyone knows that english is just the "basic" of a universe.
>In fact, you're fantasy guys are speaking in some fantasy language, but english is just the narrative translation for the players

How does that show OP's example is bad? If we don't use familiar naming conventions, we end up with situations like

>All right, we head north
>You mean, "we head shlorth!"
>wft is shlorth
>It's what they call north in this setting! Also, the other directions are Frest, Bleast, and Douth.
>Okay fine whatever we head shlorth. Where the fuck is this castle anyway
>It's only forty driles shrlorthbleast of you!
>>
>non-earth setting
>24 hour days
>365 day years
>4 seasons
>uses "hours" and "minutes" and "seconds" to measure time at all when they're a contrivance built by ancient Sumer
>measure sets of 7 days as weeks despite being an artifact of jewish persians
>>
>>46220506
holy shit i'm literally laughing tears here.

>We should arrive there in shninty snhnabatoo Shnours!
>>
>>46220132
>forty
don't you mean dour-den?
>driles
Continental or imperial driles? Also, as the draven flies or as the man walks?
>>
>>46220664
yeah
>>
>>46220664
Don't you mean as the Mrgaphan warblecocks?
>>
>>46220576
...is this a bad time to mention that in Muh Settan,

>days are 30 hours long
>weeks are 6 days in length (Temple, Kingsday, Market, Bells, Queensday, Endweek)
>months are 5 weeks, or Watches, in length (First watch, Kingswatch, Highwatch, Queenswatch, Longwatch)
>years are twelve months (and also four seasons) long, each month being named after one of the twelve Stellar Lords and Ladies (basically Not!Zodiac gods)

and my players not only have no problem with this, but they're the ones who encouraged it?
>>
>>46222719
How often does it actually come up?
>>
>>46222810
Often enough, actually. The campaign revolves a lot around running a caravan company, which means planning routes for not only distance but also time, as well as meeting scheduling obligations. Not to mention by this point three of the players have holdings in major and minor cities that they're engaged in maintaining, and like to keep checking in on at regular intervals to see how things are progressing. Tack on holy days, celebrations, national holidays and that one of my players is angling to get himself a position in court, and having an actual calendar has proven time and again to be so incredibly important. Having an actual detailed calendar for a setting using non-Gregorian timekeeping, even more so.

I swear, at this point, I don't even fucking dare try and insert a 'big bad' into the mix, what with all the plotlines already running - I'd hang myself on all these threads long before my players had a chance to choke me out.
>>
>>46220576
>GM has a setting
>The planet is largely tidal-locked, the sun bobs up and down over the course of 100 hours.
>20 hours is one Score, this is their day
>When it touches the horizon, it is a "touch", this is their week. 100 hours.
>Ten touches, a Decatouch, is their month. 1000 hours.
>Five Decatouches, a Pendeca, is their year. 5000 hours.

Metric time, mother fucker.
>>
>>46220132
>Norðri
>Suðri
>Austri
>Vestri
>godesses
They were dwarves ya git
>>
File: 1426182354380.jpg (148KB, 425x600px) Image search: [Google]
1426182354380.jpg
148KB, 425x600px
>>46220333
>>46220348
;(
>>
>>46223058
Not the guy you were replying to but, damn that sounds like a neat idea. How long have you been running it?
>>
>>46226525
Started this setting around Junior Year of High School, I think, which is when the calendar and other details were invented. This particular campaign, accounting for breaks here and there, a shift of mediums from tabletop to online when a few of us joined different branches of the military, and basic life shenanigans, oh...six years? Maybe three, three and a half actual playing, give or take?

We're on a bit of a sabbatical at the moment due to a honeymoon, a freshman year of university, an internship at a dream job and a newborn, but we're keeping in touch and are planning to pick up again soon.
>>
Autism
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.