[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've just been invited to play d&d with some friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160207_140458.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160207_140458.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
I've just been invited to play d&d with some friends of a friend. I've not played in like a year, so I'm in, no questions asked. They'll be playing 5e competitively, and all my experience is with 3.5. So I have until 10pm Pacific time to get acquainted with the system and build a level 16 character with 2000 gold plus starting equipment. I was told, half-jokingly, to "minmax as much as possible"

I'll be reading up on my own in the meantime, but I'm looking for advice from /tg/ on how to be somewhat effective and not make a fool of myself in 5e specifically.

Picture is unrelated, my uncle's bird.
>>
>Competitively

Wait, what?

How do you play a roleplaying game competitively?
>>
>>46124024
Make your character a gay Tumblrgender for no other reason than because the PHB specifically says you can.
>>
>>46124024
I like that bird. What's it's name?

Also,
>playing 5e competitively
>minmax as much as possible
Abandon fucking ship, mate.
>>
16 is pretty hard for a beginner to jump right into, but thankfully 5e is a lot easier than previous editions. Likely, you'll end up playing something like a very simple Champion Fighter, since they are very easy to use and one of the best damage-dealing classes in the game, especially when going toe-to-toe with an enemy. With a sword and bow and one or two feats, you should be able to rely on good rolls to kill just about anything you need to kill.

But, you do have some 3.5 experience, so you might be able to learn how to play a Paladin fairly quickly, though the spells might take you some time to get used to. Personally, I think you might be best of trying to get familiar with either the Battle Master Fighter or the Champion Fighter in the time you have, and let your DM sort out any details you might have a question on.

I've also found this page to be useful for beginners to the system.
https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules
>>
>>46124024
I have no idea how that's going to work. Whatever

Don't expect to have a high attack bonus, without magic items you'll have around +10 at level 16 depending on class if I remember correctly. AC rarely goes above 20. Fighters are actually ok and not complete trash. That's all the advice I can think of right now

But seriously
>"min max as much as possible"
Run
>>
>>46124024
Find New Group
>>
>>46124071
>How do you play a roleplaying game competitively?
You play to win.
But that raises the obvious follow-up question - what constitutes winning?
>>
>They'll be playing 5e competitively
BE AGGRESSIVE
>>
That bird looks like a persian fat man, he needs a golden chain
>>
>>46124186
The bird's name is Cat. He has a bad habit of swearing loudly when left alone.
>>46124253
>"min max as much as possible"
I'm reasonably certain that was mostly a joke, but I dunno. I can bail out easy if it gets bad, and the people seem alright, so i'm gonna give it a shot.

>>46124241
I figure i'll go with a paladin, I played a cleric quite a bit in 3.5, so I figure that might work for me.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.