[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.channelfireball.com/arti cles/11th-in-houston-wit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: blimpman.jpg (155KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
blimpman.jpg
155KB, 750x500px
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/11th-in-houston-with-jeskai-black/

>If you're 13-0 you can get into the Top 8, so you should scoop so I, a pro hall of famer, can get into the top 8 and get some prize equity.
>After all, you're just losing a few packs! And I'm getting into the Top 8 I so deserve to be in, but wasn't able to win enough games to do so.
>I'm not mad this guy who I have explicitly named out of all of the opponents I faced didn't scoop for me to let me into the Top 8.
>But I will remember it for the rest of my competitive career, and write a passive-aggressive article several paragraphs long about it.

"Professional" "Hall of Fame" Magic Players are fucking disgusting.
>>
There's just something about this guy that any opportunity that I have to dream crush him, I would go for it every time.
>>
I like how he takes a moment to explain how mad he isn't, while sounding completely butt-mad the entire time.
>>
>>46088279
I bet his sub-200 dream is crushed every time he steps on the scale. :^)
>>
>>46088037
Reminder "pro" magic players are literally /tg/ tier shit at this game. No seriously, screw them.
>>
>>46088340
Obviously, if he has to write a salt-laced article about why you should scoop to him so he can get into the top 8.

I imagine people actually good at the game don't need to beg for concessions.
>>
>>46088037
just looking at that fat fucker, there's no way I wouldn't beat him out of the tournament if I could.
>>
>>46088390
Why would this guy scoop? Isnt that unfair to someone who didn't just get a free win being bumped out of top 8? The person who wrote this article seems to think he deserves to get top 8 without delivering a top 8 performance.
>>
>>46088037
The upper echelons of any competitive environment are very clique based.
Card players of all kinds routinely scoop to let well known figures into ranking brackets, it's like letting your brother cut in front of you while in line.

Or in this case your girlfriend, because if you don't she's going to bitch about it forever.
>>
>>46088495
>The person who wrote this article seems to think he deserves to get top 8
He's a MTG Hall of Famer who (should be kicked out for match-fixing) plays for Channel Fireball. He's one of the professional players who does this as his job, so he thinks he's entitled to be placed in the Top 8 regardless of his performance.

As for the guy being told to scoop? Fatty's argument is that he should do so, and he'll get the same favor extended to him if he were ever in this position playing someone on Fatty's team. Some people do it for "no reason at all" and then all of a sudden he randomly gives you a $50 for "no reason at all" a few hours later.

It's like the match-fixing in tennis, no matter how this human blimp rationalizes it.
>>
Why scoop when you can slay a fucking giant? Seriously, pretty sure if the underdog thinks he has a chance he should take it - slay the fucking giant, get your fame that way. Don't bow down to a landwhale's ego.
>>
>>46088601
Spoiler: The dude he's complaining about was 14-0 after that match.
>>
>>46088037
Does scoop mean forfeit?
>>
>>46088853

Both getting a draw i think actually
>>
>>46088037

Im curious what does
>Day 1

>Round 1: Bye (1-0)
>Round 2: Bye (2-0)
>Round 3: Bye (3-0)
mean exactly? People who registered didnt show up and it was a walkover or what?
>>
/fit/ here, lad looks like he's already had enough scoops, the fat cunt.
>>
>>46088853
Yes
>>
>>46088938

It means he won a GP Trial and has secured himself two byes for the first rounds. Normally a GP Trial win secures you 2 byes, being a certain rank level pro with certain amount of pro points gives you one free bye as well thus it can add up to three byes all up.
>>
>>46088853
Scoop = Concede

>>46088938
Because of the way pairings work, sometimes people don't have an opponent to play, so it's a freebie for them. There's a hierarchy as to who's decided for the bye slots, HOF players get one, GPT winners get one, "Pros" get one, and then people with a shit ton of planeswalker points get one. You can have up to 3 at an event.
>>
>>46088965
... Thats absurd.

So a Joe has to win 13 games to get in whereas oldfags only have to win about 10? No wonder all the magic twitch streams have so many of the same faces.
>>
>>46088938
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/grandprix/byeinfo
>>
>>46088938
If you do well in smaller tournaments that lead up to the big tournament, you can win bye rounds, in this case essentially starting out the day 3-0.
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 1600x900px
>>46088950
Five star post
>>
>>46088975
Yet said oldfag in the OP had three free wins and could only get 11th place, while his opponent worked his ass off and did better. :^)
>>
>>46088975

>So a Joe has to win 13 games to get in whereas oldfags only have to win about 10?

It's really nothing to do with being an oldfag barring their pro player points.

There's usually a few GP Trials that get held in certain cities/states depending on where you live so you have a good chance of playing at a few. That being said if you don't win at a GP Trial the day before the main event at a GP starts you can play in a bunch of on-demand last chance trials aka "grinders" to win a bye for day 1 yourself.
>>
>>46088975
Newbies can just grind FNM all year and get up to two byes. You only get a third bye for being a good pro or Hall of Famer.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.