[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Has hundreds of thousands of orcs + southrons/easterlings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 289
Thread images: 38

File: Sauron_eye_barad_dur.jpg (25KB, 519x371px) Image search: [Google]
Sauron_eye_barad_dur.jpg
25KB, 519x371px
> Has hundreds of thousands of orcs + southrons/easterlings
> Doesn't have the idea to construct a outpost or at least send a detachment to guard the entrance to mount doom
> get defeated by 2 manlets wielding sticks
Why is he so retarded?
>>
>>45963628
Sauron was literally unable to imagine someone would try to destroy The One Ring. Remember that it bestowed undefined, but ridiculously OP abilities, of which invisibility was just one.
>>
>>45963628
There's been so many theories and speculating garbage for 40+ years on this one topic.

What do you think you'll add to this discussion OP?
>>
>>45963628
He never thought anyone would try destroying it and he didn't know what a hobbit was or that they could resist the ring for so long.
>>
>>45963628
Like >>45963851 said, he just didn't think anyone would actually follow through to destroy it.

People have tried in the past, but the influence of the Ring got them every time.

It actively starts trying to mind rape anyone who picks it up. Tempting them. Influencing them. Hell, anyone that's even near it long enough is influenced. Even people that know about its power are vulnerable to it.

Gandalf didn't even want to touch the thing. He doubted he was strong enough to resist it and knew he would be too dangerous if turned.
>>
>>45963851
>>45964494
One way it influences people was that it made its wearer not want to destroy it. Had it just been Frodo at Mount Doom the ring would have survived. It was only destroyed because Gollum tried to take it and fell into the lava with it.
>>
>>45964342
> What do you think you'll add to this discussion OP?
More than you
>>
>>45964592
This. The ring was basically destroyed by freak accident. There WAS no-one strong-willed enough on Middle Earth to deliberately destroy the Ring. Gollum was trying to claim it for himself and accidentally fell into the lava.

It's implied that this was the hand of God acting, as a reward for Frodo's earlier mercy toward such a wretched creature.
>>
File: Eye_of_sauron.jpg (26KB, 468x356px) Image search: [Google]
Eye_of_sauron.jpg
26KB, 468x356px
>>45963628

>Just a glowing eye stuck on top of a tower
>somehow manages an empire with massive armies

What are Saurons management secrets?
>>
>>45967142
In the same way any leader commands and manages his army: By having loyal commanders that do this for him. He just need to be concerned with the big picture.
>>
>>45967142
>hes got the looks
>he's got the authority
>he's got the power
>he can grant all but one of the above
He's the CEO of CEO's.
>>
File: pretty sauron 7.png (275KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
pretty sauron 7.png
275KB, 500x371px
He really was quite the looker before the whole being raised into undeath thing.
>>
>>45967339

Would you pound the Lord of the Ring's boy pussy?
>>
>>45964592
>>45966866
>missing the best part
It wasn't destroyed because Gollum tried to take it. It was destroyed because Gollum TOOK it, but Frodo had laid a geas, a curse on him last time that should Gollum raise hand against Frodo again, Gollum would cast himself into Orodruin. The Ring's very power was responsible for unmaking it, because it WAS strong enough that Frodo wouldn't have been able to destroy it.
>>
>>45967142
Actually Sauron had a physical form during the war of the ring. He was just too weak to leave the tower. The eye on top of that was only some kind of magic he used to survey his shit.
>>
>>45967420
He's pretty, but I don't know if he's quite "feminine" looking enough for me. Yet again, he's an elf........
>>
File: pretty sauron 10.png (200KB, 350x857px) Image search: [Google]
pretty sauron 10.png
200KB, 350x857px
>>45967420
Fucking unquestionably
>>
>>45967420
You mean Lord of the Ring's boy ring?
>>
>>45967420
You think you'd be top. Bless.

>>45967486
Not an elf. He's the same kind of thing Gandalf is? Or the Morgoth was?
>>
File: pretty sauron 12.jpg (181KB, 500x740px) Image search: [Google]
pretty sauron 12.jpg
181KB, 500x740px
>>45967486
>not feminine enough
Besides having a ton of T&A I don't know how much more feminine this depiction of Sauron could get.
>>
>>45967486
>Yet again, he's an elf
You ain't going to seduce him with insults, m8.
>>
>>45967529
My apologies, it's been a ridiculously long time since I've read the Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>45967531
After thinking about it for a bit, I would do it with a smile on my face. Sadly, I doubt Sauron would like me very much (being human, calling him an elf, not using lube).
>>
>>45967420
>>45967486
>>45967489
>>45967531
You don't understand how this shit works in Middle-Earth, you think you're going to tap that boipussy but the next then you know you're face down ass up, Sauron's packing a Pringles can, and he's going in dry.
>>
>>45967529
> not being top to a dominant powerbottom Sauron who insults you, your dick, your skills as he rides you and threatens to kill you

Weak.
>>
File: Morgoth & Sauron 21.png (312KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
Morgoth & Sauron 21.png
312KB, 500x386px
His intense godcocklust blinded him to reason.
>>
>>45967694
Luckily my good Anon friend, we don't live in Middle-Earth and have to worry about Sauron raping us in the middle of the night for what we say about him. Trump on the other hand.....
>>
>>45967705
Yeah, that sounds more in character for him.
Than this >>45967694
>>
File: Sauron40.png (305KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
Sauron40.png
305KB, 500x368px
>>45967339
It didn't stick
>>
File: 1454584918353-3.png (54KB, 320x311px) Image search: [Google]
1454584918353-3.png
54KB, 320x311px
>>45967774
>le unrelated political fearmongering
I come to /tg/ to talk about spess muhreens and Sauron's boipussy, if I wanted to talk about politics I'd go to the shithole board.
>>
>>45967781
T-thanks. I was mostly projecting my kinks. And ideas, because I've been meaning to write something similar to that, albeit sans-Sauron.

>>45967795
> implying you would fuck corrupt Sauron any less than pretty Sauron.
>>
>>45963628
Hubris
>>
>>45967795
He still looks good there, if troubled.
The next picture in that sequence though....yeesh.
>>
>>459678651
But he'd barely feel anything in his fallen state
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (651KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
651KB, 1067x800px
>>45967858
>I'd go to the shithole board.
>>
Does Sauron have a gender? Is he exclusively male?

Sorry if it sounds Tumblresque
>>
>>45963628
In addition to all the other shit people mentioned so far, do recall that he had the Black Gate *and* Minas Morgul hardcore locked down, and those were the only two entrances to Mordor that might be threatened (yeah, there was a break out to the East, but Sauron pretty much owned everything of note out there that was close enough to be an issue, IIRC). If someone managed to break through either of those, they'd have to sneak past all the orcs and other musters that were constantly moving around the otherwise featureless, empty wastes of Mordor itself.
>>
>>45967944
Yeah, he's a dude.
He's just described as being extremely beautiful to behold, so one chick on tumblr drew him as very feminine.
And all who like the boy ass have accepted this as canon.

>>45967920
There may be quest threads but at least this isn't /pol/.
I'd prefer if politics weren't shoved in at every chance possible.
>>
File: true_face.png (263KB, 800x1005px) Image search: [Google]
true_face.png
263KB, 800x1005px
>>45967883
Yeah, he stopped being pretty after the whole Numenor thing.
>>
>>45967944

Maiar apparently choose to present themselves as either male or female, and Mairon/Sauron is always referred to as male. So he is exclusively male, but I guess he could take a female avatar in theory. He can at least change himself into a werewolf and a vampire.
>>
>>45968038
Put a paper bag over his head and you'll be fine.
>>
>>45967988
>>45968061
Thanks for the answer.

Do we have a more 'canon' representation of Sauron available? Did he chose to appear as an Elven male?
>>
>>45963628
There was no need to guard it. As Frodo demonstrated, not a living creature on the planet would actually be able to willingly destroy the Ring, its allure is simply too strong. It's only because Gollum had such a shitty sense of balance that the Ring wasn't retrieved by the Ringwraiths and brought back to Sauron 5 minutes after Frodo claimed it.
>>
File: Tension Intensifies.gif (721KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
Tension Intensifies.gif
721KB, 500x278px
>>45967529
Sauron was a Maiar, same as Gandalf & Co.

Melkor was Ainur.

Gandalf and the wizards were Istari, with limitations put upon them. None of that rubbish with Sauron and the Balrog Boys. They were kind of like angels.

The Ainur, the sort of guys Melkor hung with like Ă„ule, were Great Wheels of Fire-type archangels.
>>
>>45968061
And a giant bat, if I remember correctly. Or was that Morgoth?
>>
>>45967468
He was perfectly capable of leaving his tower, he just had no reason to do so. Note that Sauron lost 100% of all direct fights he has ever fought. He is a spirit of domination and control, not a spirit of combat.
>>
>>45968137

That was the vampire form. Apparently "vampires" are just giant blood-sucking demon-bats in the Middle-Earth.

>>45968103

Tolkien made one picture of Sauron himself, you can find it from Wikipedia.

>>45968134

Actually both Sauron and Morgoth are Ainur, but Sauron is a Maia while Morgoth was a Vala. Saruman was also a Maia, so all of them have existed in some form before the creation of the world.
>>
>>45967671
Sauron loved humans. He called himself the King of Men and wanted humans to worship him as their God-King. He wanted to rule humanity, not destroy it. In fact, considering his obsession with order and control, I would even speculate that he may have preferred them to the Chaotic Evil Orks and such he inherited from Morgoth.
>>45968103
No canon drawings concerning his original forms, but from what is known, a really beautiful Elf should be pretty close. He was beautiful and radiant, capable of inspiring trust and devotion in both Men and Elves. It's only after his physical body was destroyed in the Fall of Numenor that he was weakened to the point of losing his shape-shifting abilities and got stuck being a corrupted, twisted humanoid.
>>
>>45968392
If the One Ring wasn't destroyed would Sauron have eventually regained his power to the point where he would have had his old power? Or would such power be impossible to reach again with magic leaving the world?

Also was there any long term plan thought up with what Sauron was gonna do when he won? As you said I doubt he liked the orcs and even found them distasteful. My guess would be maybe that he would purge them and create/warp a new race into being something to his pleasing, but I'm not so sure about that part.
>>
>>45968485
He lost a part of his power permanently with the fall of the numenor
>>
>>45967944
He can change shape but I don't know of any record of him changing to a female shape.
>>
>>45967988
These drawings aren't that feminine though. Are you sure you're not just insecure in your sexuality?
>>
>>45968259
Tolkien's illustration doesn't represent him when he had a fair form though, and doesn't really show his features clearly at all.
>>
File: 1380192430706.jpg (302KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
1380192430706.jpg
302KB, 800x1132px
>>45968560

My sexuality is perfectly safe. Plow the femboi's pussy each day, everyday.
>>
>>45968611
Okay but what about men like Sauron?
>>
>>45968611
Something's wrong with that guy's face. Reminds me of something I saw in a Tool video.
>>
File: 1380192363967.jpg (106KB, 800x1077px) Image search: [Google]
1380192363967.jpg
106KB, 800x1077px
>>45968635

What is wrong with his face ?
>>
>>45966866

>There WAS no-one strong-willed enough on Middle Earth to deliberately destroy the Ring

Nigga please. Sam would have thrown that shit in in a heart beat. But golum clobbered him on the head with a rock and invasa frodo was a dick.
>>
>>45968668
It looks like a mask.
>>
>>45968701
It's called too much foundation makeup

>>45968560
I mean I'm pretty gay and faggy so I dunno.
I could probably do a lot worse in terms of role models than Sauron pre-fall, though.
>>
>>45968693
I am half expecting the Tom Bombadil cock-ring pasta.
>>
File: 1380192333720.jpg (155KB, 800x1011px) Image search: [Google]
1380192333720.jpg
155KB, 800x1011px
>>45968635
>>45968701

You faggot.
>>
File: MiidcbGPh7Q[1].jpg (52KB, 604x402px) Image search: [Google]
MiidcbGPh7Q[1].jpg
52KB, 604x402px
>>45968485
What's gone is gone. Constructing a physical body for an Ainur takes power, and when it's destroyed the power used to construct it is lost. Compare it to building a car. You put time, money and effort into building it. If it's then destroyed, you don't magically get your investment back. You can build another one, but doing so will require yet another investment on your part. Every time Sauron's body was destroyed, he was diminished.

His original goal was to seize power because he regarded himself as the most well-suited being to restore order to the world after the cataclysm of the war against Morgoth. Over time he degenerated into merely desiring power and control. If he won, I would assume that he would institute some horrid theocracy. All humans are subjugated and made to serve and worship Tar-Mairon, the Excellent King. The devoted and talented are raised up to be his enforcers, like the Mouth of Sauron was, while the masses live miserable lives of servitude. Sauron rules as God-King of Middle Earth.

I doubt he'd bother screwing with any races. He liked humans just fine and having them all as his servants would be a great situation for him. He may dial back on the Orcs a bit now that he has access to so many servants of a superior race, though he would likely still keep them around as insurance. You never know when you need the miserable bastards.
>>
>>45969097
Didn't Gandalf mention outright that Sauron would screw with everyone including the hobbits if only because enslaved hobbits would please him more than free hobbits

and lets not forget that during the events of the third book he also sent and even larger army to conquer the elven and dwarven lands so he was most definitely interested in them
>>
>>45969181
I meant screwing with them in the sense of "warp[ing] a new race into being something to his pleasing" as anon suggested in that post. He would definitely attack every race.

Hobbits are a form of Men and would be subjugated along with all the rest of them. I doubt any would ever rise above that status, considering how unambitious and weak they are.

Elves he would likely just kill, I imagine. Their time is over anyway, and they've messed up his plans way too often for him to forgive them now.

Dwarves are weird. They seem resistant to corruption and domination and were able to resist the effect of the rings he gave them. I would speculate that it's probably easiest to just kill them all.
>>
>>45969097

Sauron KNEW that Morgoth-senpai was coming back one day. He'd surely turn middle earth into a giant industrial FUCK YOU. Tolkien himself explained that the one ring was basically a metaphor for industry corrupting nature but in magic form. We can expect the whole middle earth to turn a dark magic mechanical planned industry for a war against the valar continent for when morgoth returns.
>>
>>45969308

>Dwarves are weird. They seem resistant to corruption and domination and were able to resist the effect of the rings he gave them. I would speculate that it's probably easiest to just kill them all.

They'd probablyb just keep sauron's gold in their banks during the war.
>>
>>45969322
I doubt he'd give a shit, honestly. He grew more arrogant over time. Originally he tried to make people worship Morgoth, but by the end he was setting himself up as as a divine ruler instead. I'm pretty sure that he'd just turn everything to his own use and not worry about his absentee senpai all that much. And if Morgoth does return, Sauron can always pretend he was doing it for him all along.
>>
>>45969097
Very interesting.
I was wondering, if sauron is so focused on beauty and order, why are so many of the manifestations of his powers (mostly the Mouth of Sauron) so hideous?

Is it kind of a representation of how while he may put forth a face of order and beauty he is truly a twisted creature?
>>
Reminder that Tolkien has explicitly said that the reason Gollum fell into the fit of fire was because God himself reached down from heaven and pushed him.

>"Frodo deserved all honour because he spent every drop of his power of will and body, and that was just sufficient to bring him to the destined point, and no further. Few others, possibly no others of his time, would have got so far. The Other Power then took over: the Writer of the Story (by which I do not mean myself), 'that one ever-present Person who is never absent and never named' (as one critic has said)."
-The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, Letter #192
>>
>>45969428

>Sauron can always pretend he was doing it for him all along.

>"M-Morgoth-sama I swear I did all for you !"
>"Please don't punish my boipussy that hard !"
>"P-PLEASE go harder on your little servant !"

I swear that is exactly how I imagine sauron thanks to /tg/.
>>
File: Oin.jpg (58KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Oin.jpg
58KB, 750x500px
>>45969433
Because he's the fucking OG Dark Lord?

What did you expect, a chick on a pony?
>>
>>45969548

Tolkien's work isn't unilateral manicheism like that you cunt. Every bad character had a good reason for being an evil bastard.
>>
>>45969548
Yeah, I guess.
>>
>>45969576
>Every bad character had a good reason for being an evil bastard.
Because he's the physical representation of Tolkien's hatred for industrialisation.
>>
>>45969433

After he lost his body in the wreck of Numenor he utterly lost the part of himself that was concerned with veiling his malice in beauty, he couldn't keep it up anymore so there was no point.

>"Sauron was indeed caught in the wreck of NĂşmenor, so that the bodily form in which he long had walked perished; but he fled back to Middle-earth, a spirit of hatred borne upon the dark wind. He was unable ever again to assume a form that seemed fair to men, but became black and hideous, and his power thereafter was through terror alone."

He still tried to deceive and cajole and bribe, but it was always thinly veiled.
>>
File: nice meme.gif (547KB, 256x196px) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.gif
547KB, 256x196px
>>45969576
Melkor's reason was "fuck you dad, this singing is gay as SHIT".
>>
>>45969597
which, given exactly what war he fought it, was pretty understandable
>>
>>45969597

You are thinking too much function over form there. Every metaphor in any story telling would be void of contenu otherwise.
>>
>>45969433
He is a creature of domination and order. That is not necessarily good or beautiful. A world enslaved in industrial fire and completely subject to his will is orderly, but incredibly evil and twisted regardless. Sauron is the epitome of Lawful Evil.

As for beauty, it served his purposes. "Sauron the Deceiver" was one of his titles. Much easier to manipulate people when you look trustworthy and beautiful. If you wanna trick the Elves into making magic artifacts with you, you're gonna have more luck as a radiant being of great beauty than as a jacked up demon-man.

The Mouth of Sauron is only remarkably hideous in the film. In the books, he is just a man riding a monstrous black steed. But yes, most of Sauron's minions and works, and even his own body look hideous. It's a reflection of his corruption. As his power drained from the destruction of his body, he lost the ability to change shape and permanently became bound to a hideous shape that reflected his nature. Evil corrupts and destroys.
>>
>>45969666

>Dad you are so cool I want to be like you when I grow up !
>Lol nope you little faggot nigger !
>>
>>45969709
Besides a fairly early conversation with Aragorn in his Strider persona discussed that the minion's of evil would likely come in a pleasing shape in order to deceive
>>
>>45968147

>That time when Sauron got punked the fuck out by Literally-Who: The Dog.
>>
>>45969775

Literally the story of Lucifer

Not that I blame Tolkien, Paradise Lost is pretty compelling literature
>>
>>45969788
Yeah, Sauron is a fucking loser in combat. The movie made him look way too good, honestly. In the book he just straight up got killed by Gil-Galad and Elendil even whilst wearing the Ring, and Isildur just looted his corpse.
>>
>>45969833

>Tolkien stole from Christian mythology

Noooooo, he'd never!
>>
>>45969709
>The Mouth of Sauron is only remarkably hideous in the film.
>In the books, he is just a man riding a monstrous black steed.
That makes a lot more sense, but I guess since it's a movie it has to be ten times more crazy and bombastic.

>>45969854
>The movie made him look way too good, honestly
Agreed, my friends were a bit incredulous when I told them as such and referenced the scene where he was smashing scores of dudes with a giant mace.
>>
>>45969308
>Dwarves are weird. They seem resistant to corruption and domination and were able to resist the effect of the rings he gave them. I would speculate that it's probably easiest to just kill them all.
After they locked him out of Moria when he wanted to kill him some elfs, Sauron was full of hate for the dwarves.
>>
>>45970006
And the bastards also took 7 of his rings without giving him anything back. Bunch of cunts.
>>
>>45969854
>Yeah, Sauron is a fucking loser in combat. The movie made him look way too good, honestly. In the book he just straight up got killed by Gil-Galad and Elendil even whilst wearing the Ring, and Isildur just looted his corpse.
Friendly reminder that every time Sauron fought it was against really powerful dudes, and not just Joe Farmer wielding a sword.
>>
>>45966866
>The ring was basically destroyed by freak accident.

It wasn't a freak accident. As you said later, the ring was destroyed by divine providence, which had been following Frodo and Sam every step of the way.

It wasn't by chance they managed to glimpse the setting's holiest star in a break of Mordor's clouds.
>>
>>45969927

>That makes a lot more sense, but I guess since it's a movie it has to be ten times more crazy and bombastic.

As bookfags it's easy to look for inconsistencies and complain about shit, but I think it's important for us to remember that the Lord of the Rings movies are 10 times better than one could reasonably have expected them to be.

I mean, we have the fucking Hobbit movies, we KNOW what a bad Lord of the Rings movie could have looked like.

The only thing that really annoyed me about the LotRs movies was the near-total demolition of Gimli's character. In the book his defining traits are how smart, well-spoken and dignified he is, in the movie 95% of his character is "Small fat man fall down a lot, ha ha"
>>
>>45969322
So will Morgoth someday come back to plague Middle Earth, even now that Sauron failed?
>>
>>45970057
He wasn't Joe Farmer himself either.
>>
>>45970057

>A Fucking Dog

And yes, I know it was like, the best dog there ever was.

But still.

A dog.
>>
>>45969477
You're wrong and dumb just like in the last thread you tried to argue this. Do I have to get out my copy of Return of the King again and quote you the curse?
>>
>>45969885
Didn't he have a lot of trouble with his faith and creating this fantasy universe with its own pantheon? I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to make things as Christian as possible.
>>
>>45970157

First of all, I'm not whoever you think I am, secondly, I know exactly the curse you're talking about, that doesn't mean that it wasn't God who dun it.
>>
>>45970157
>You're wrong and dumb just like in the last thread you tried to argue this.

Anon, one of the themes of Lord of the Rings is Providence, which being a Catholic Tolkien would know a hell of a lot about.

The entire story was guided by the good Powers That Be from behind the scenes.
>>
File: 1450772428278.jpg (896KB, 550x1652px) Image search: [Google]
1450772428278.jpg
896KB, 550x1652px
>>45970094
Yeah, in the future he'll come back to fight Ragnarok with the forces of good. In the end he'll lose and get killed by a human despite being a demigod and the source of all evil. In doing so, he will finally manage to suffer an even worse humiliation than being permanently crippled by an Elf.
>>
>>45970094

Morgoth will come back and there will be a big ol' Apocalyptic battle and then Turin will come back from the dead and stab him to death.

>"Thus spoke Mandos in prophecy, when the Valar sat in judgement in Valinor and the rumour of his word was whispered among all the Elves of the West. When the world is old and the Powers grow weary, then Morgoth, seeing that the guard sleepeth, shall come back through the Door of the Night out of the Timeless Void; and he shall blacken the Sun and the Moon. But Eärendil shall descend upon him as a white and searing flame and drive him from the airs. Then shall the Last Battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day, Tulkas shall strive with Morgoth, and on his right hand shall be Eönwë, and on his left Túrin Turambar, son of Húrin, returning from the Doom of Men at the ending of the world; and the black sword of Túrin shall deal unto Morgoth his death and final end; and so shall the Children of Húrin and all fallen Men be avenged."

Though whether or not this is exactly canonical is disputed since it was only in Tolkien's notes, and despite these being the same notes that were used to compiled the Silmarillion, Christopher Tolkien decided to leave it out as he apparently didn't think his dad meant for it to be canon.
>>
>>45969854
>The movie made him look way too good
The movie making him look as good as it did serves a very important purpose, in that it establishes the power of The Ring (or at least that it has power). The camera focuses closely on the ring itself before showing Sauron wrecking shit, implying that his ability to do so comes from it's power, and once his hand is cut off he crumbles to dust without it.

Without that scene you would get the audience asking themselves what makes The Ring so powerful in the first place since after that it's never shown doing much besides turning people invisible and corrupting minds.
>>
>>45970079
Oh, I agree, they are far better than they have any right to be in this terrible world, but I just mean it's unsurprising that they would change a man on a large horse into what they did.
>>
>>45970247
True enough. Of course, the amusing thing is that the Ring does not actually grant the power to beat the shit out of people with a giant hammer.
>>45970354
I always found the movie version of the Mouth amusing because he's supposed to be an emissary. One might be inclined to think that it would be best to select someone for such a position who does not look like a cenobite.
>>
>>45970213
Sure, but God doesn't act that way. It's providence, not Him reaching down to smash the Ring at the council of Elrond in book one.

So while we can't argue about what was or wasn't providence- it doesn't exactly leave a QA and Inspector mark on everything it does- we can discuss the forms it took. And that was, in fact, the hold the Ring had over all Ringbearers, that which made it the Lord of the Rings and Ringbearers, and the very dominating power of Sauron that geased Gollum to death- a manner as full of poetic justice and immaculate perfection as any God could want.
>>
File: Durin 2.0.png (129KB, 301x324px) Image search: [Google]
Durin 2.0.png
129KB, 301x324px
>>45970035
Oi, say it to my face and not over the palantir you Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!
>>
>>45970115
Yeah, but the first time you see him in the movie he's just trashing some average soldiers, and not the High-King of elfs and the King of Arnor and Gondor. And that's just perfectly fine, there's nothing an average dude can do against such a powerful being.

>>45970117
Well, Huan was destined to win this fight, as he should only be killed by the greatest wolf of them all. And he wasn't just some lapdog either, he was a hunting dog of Orome, and Tolkein himself speculated that he may have been a Maiar.
And unless you're a man, you can't escape your destiny in middle-earth.
>>
This may be a stupid question, but is there any way Shadow of Mordor's story can continue without completely fucking canon? I want to see how in the hell they were planning to end it.
>>
>>45970698

It pretty soundly fucks canon already.

The best thing they can do is to stop pretending otherwise and do what they feel will is best.
>>
>>45970079
https://youtu.be/SQkygZdZ_Vk
>>
>>45970698

>is there any way Shadow of Mordor's story can continue without completely fucking canon?

Just existing fucked over canon. Fuck that nigger game's story.
>>
>>45970645
Yeah, so he can only beat average mortals. Anything more powerful than Mr. Joe Average the Gondorian soldier and he gets his ass beat. The fact that he only chose to involve himself in combat when the forces of good were basically literally knocking on his door speaks volumes about the value he himself ascribes to his combat ability.
>>
>>45967433
>It was destroyed because Gollum TOOK it, but Frodo had laid a geas, a curse on him last time that should Gollum raise hand against Frodo again, Gollum would cast himself into Orodruin.
I, too, missed this. When does it happen?
>>
>>45967988
>I'd prefer if politics weren't shoved in at every chance possible.
It's true that >>/pol/ would be better without politics.
>>
>>45967142
His HRM department was amazing
>>
>>45976184
He has a His Royal Majesty department?
>>
>>45963851

But he was right. Nobody could destroy the ring willingly. He was defeated by dumb luck, or IlĂşvatar's will if you are feeling fancy.
>>
>>45976256
Human Resources and Management
>>
>>45977183
Oh. Those are normally two separate things here.
>>
File: 1456289025071.png (504KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1456289025071.png
504KB, 500x500px
>>45963628
"get defeated by 2 manlets wielding sticks and about a thousand layers of plot armor"*
fixed it for you
>>
>>45977208
Management of the humans which are the resources, not a department that combines HR with senior leadership
>>
>>45974923
Literally the same chapter as the Ring's destruction, as they're climbing Mount Doom:

>'Down, down!' he gasped, clutching his hand to his breast, so that beneath the cover of his leather shirt he clasped the Ring. 'Down you creeping thing, and out of my path! Your time is at an end. You cannot betray me or slay me now.'

>Then suddenly, as before under the eaves of the Emyn Muil, Sam saw these two rivals with other vision. A crouching shape, scarcely more than the shadow of a living thing, a creature now wholly ruined and defeated, yet filled with a hideous lust and rage; and before it stood stern, untouchable now by pity, a figure robed in white, but at its breast it held a wheel of fire. Out of the fire there spoke a commanding voice.

>'Begone, and trouble me no more! If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.'

>The crouching shape backed away, terror in its blinking eyes, and yet at the same time insatiable desire.
>>
>>45977406
So, was it one of the ring powers, or just usual hobbit ability to put a curse?
>>
>>45978801
It seems very clearly not usual hobbit ability.
Any bearer can draw upon the powers of the Ring. That's part of why it's so tempting. Hobbits... aren't exactly a powerful race. The power they draw easiest from it seems to be invisibility.

However, the longer you bear it, the more it corrupts you and the more power you can draw from it- though the more you're going to draw on it like, well, Sauron. It's like the Dark Side of the Force.
So yes, Frodo- mindraped, dark-side Frodo- went all Lord of the Ring(s) on Gollum.
>>
>>45977406
This was also foreshadowed as early as book one, when they're crouching in the fens watching the Black Gate of Morannon, and Frodo warns Gollum something to the effect of, "I know it's hard, and I feel the same hold you do- but you have to try, strive, to give it up. The Ring has passed from you and will not return willingly, but the hold it still has over you could be used to control or destroy you!"
>>
>>45969097
Funnily enough, the Ring had a neat side effect for Sauron. It effectively froze his power level at his Late-Second-Age levels, something no one else in ME history had figured out how to do. It more or less anchored him to reality.

So whenever his body was destroyed, Sauron would lose a lot of power right away...and then slowly regenerate back to full over time. He didn't lose that power permanently like EVERYONE else had to when that happened. The Ring itself on Sauron "merely" amped up his control and domination powers up to 11. His loss of shapeshifting into pure forms was more along the lines of a curse from Eru, dissipating Sauron's disguise and main way of manipulating the peoples of Middle Earth.
>>
>>45963628
>aragorn sends you a message through the palantir implying he has the ring
>he walks his tiny army straight up to your gate, oh shit, he's gonna use the ring to wipe you out
gee, i sure wonder why sauron would send all the manpower he has available out to fight
>>
>>45980974
Still kinda weird that he didn't think much of the Halflings creeping across his lands.
>>
>>45982072

It's almost like he didn't know about them because they snuck in or something.
>>
>>45982091
They literally captured them and took Frodo's mithril shirt. And after they escaped Orc captivity a Nazgul showed up at the top of the tower. So you have these extremely well-equipped halflings who are in your country and have managed to escape captivity and for some reason this interests him not at all.
>>
>>45969788
>The Greatest Dog Ever To Live
>A Literal Divine Superdog
>LIterally Who

Get fucked, son. Huan could probably stomp all but MAYBE the top five characters of the series with ease.
>>
Considering his name was originally Mairon, could Sauron be considered some kind of shitty pun?
>Mairon? More like SAURON, amirite?
>>
>>45982115
they're halflings, no matter how well equipped, no matter how seemingly important Sauron was never going to consider them anything more than glorified scouts

It even fit into the whole narrative Aragorn had constructed for him, he was going to claim the ring challenge Sauron himself but first needed information on the latter's army size and composition so Aragorn sent his best spies on a mission into his lands.
>>
File: Zoidberg.gif (2MB, 424x389px) Image search: [Google]
Zoidberg.gif
2MB, 424x389px
>>45969666
Was more like Melkor was a talent less fucker who couldn't create anything like the other Valar. So instead of asking for help in learning how to make things he decided to go wreck every one else shit. Like a little shit that knocks over your sand castle after your spent an hour making it look awesome.
>>
>>45982572
but he did create
he created the very concepts of heat and cold
>>
>>45982572
He was the creator and origin of chaos, other than him all things were ordered. The dwarves were directly created in response to the fact that he didn't fall in line, which made others understand the concept, even if in the end it all worked in harmony with the rest of creation
>>
>>45963851
>le arrogance was the villain's downfall ebin maymay xD
It's the most boring weakness a villain can have. It's lazy writing. Someone wrote themselves into a corner, and instead of having the villain be defeated straight up - because he can't, he's too awesome - he fails because he was arrogant.

Boring.
>>
>>45982822
It's not even arrogance, it's just fact. Not a being in Middle Earth could have willingly dropped the Ring into that chasm. And he was right too, he literally lost because Gollum tripped.
>>
File: sauron.jpg (105KB, 1024x994px) Image search: [Google]
sauron.jpg
105KB, 1024x994px
So there is the Eye of Sauron and the Mouth of Sauron.

Were there others "body parts of Sauron"? Is there a Nose of Sauron?
>not counting the Ring
>>
>>45982839
>Someone strong willed carries it
>is betrayed or back stabbed or whatever by someone uncorrupted halfway
>2nd person carries it all the way
He wasn't a fucking idiot. It was perfectly possible that someone could throw it into the mountain.
>>
>>45964592
>>45966866
I bet Sam could've done it.
>>
>>45963851
>invisibility
Makes you shine like a beacon to saurons henchmen, it's not really an advantage.
>>
>>45982878
The strong willed are the first to fall, as the power of the Ring would actually feel like it's within their reach. Hobbits were less affected because they had petty pedestrian ambitions which the power of the Ring would not really help them with, not because they were super strong-willed. Anyone with a shred of ambition or desire would have found themselves unwilling to destroy this object that could seemingly do everything they needed.

Sauron literally won until Gollum tripped. The Nazgul would have reclaimed the Ring and brought it to him within a few minutes. Seems to me like his assessment of its power and the idea that it would not be willingly destroyed was quite accurate.

Besides, I'm sure we can all trust in the heroic motivations of someone who ascribes to such an "ends justify the means" mentality that he commits an evil act like backstabbing in the heart of evil to acquire an evil artifact. Surely the Ring could never corrupt such a man.
>>
>>45982968
>The strong willed are the first to fall
What the fuck ever. Then someone pure or resilient to the ring or whatever makes you less likely to fall.

My point stands completely. You could have a long line of hobbits trading it along the way, never fully falling to it, until you're at the mountain.
>>
>>45982968
>I'm sure we can all trust in the heroic motivations of someone who ascribes to such an "ends justify the means" mentality that he commits an evil act like backstabbing in the heart of evil to acquire an evil artifact. Surely the Ring could never corrupt such a man.
Yeah, it's inconceivable that the ring lands in the hands of an uncorrupted person after being transported some of the way.

You people are either stupid or pig headed in your need for everything in LOTR to be perfect. It's not. Sauron was dumb, and fell because he was arrogant, and that's a shitty and overdone character flaw - and I'm sure it was overdone even back when Tolkien was writing.
>>
>>45983012
No, you fail to understand. It's impossible to destroy, no matter how long you've had it. Isildur had it for literally just the trek up the hill, and he couldn't destroy it. You CAN'T destroy it intentionally.
>>
>>45983051
>Isildur had it for literally just the trek up the hill, and he couldn't destroy it. You CAN'T destroy it intentionally.
Because man is fucking weak and greedy and power hungry. Man could barely avoid getting corrupted from the moment they saw it. Aragorn and Faramir were considered these ultra badasses because they didn't take it.

You're so desperate for it to make sense. Sorry buster brown, it doesn't.
>>
>>45983033
Given that the ring was only willingly given up in its entire history twice and one of them required all the power and persuasion of a god damn wizard to accomplish it, it seems highly unlikely the ring would just end up in the hands of some uncorrupted person
>>
Real question to lorefags. What would happen if instead of wearing the ring on your finger, you put it on your dick?

Would it still have the same effects?
>>
It's still weird the fellowship didn't store the ring in some kind of lockbox with elrond hanging onto the key or embedding it in a block of metal or something.
Make it basically impossible to put on. But no, let's put it on a delicate filigree chain on one dude's neck.
>>
>>45983945

I would suggest throwing the damn thing on the ocean, but its nessecary to kill Sauron.

Why they didn put in a lockbox, or put some magic seal on it.
>>
>>45983070
Right, not the guy you're talking to but the thing is, the ring doesn't work off willpower or anything like that.

You don't need a 'strong will' to beat the ring, in fact a strong will suggests a strong personality which is the last thing you need. The ring doesn't tempt you actively unless it has to.
It doesn't manifest in your dreams and be all 'So, I could do this shit for you bro' or put thoughts in your head, it doesn't corrupt.
As such.

What it does is sit there in your hand and let you think of every dream you've ever had, every hope, every ambition, it doesn't offer anything, it lets you do all the work yourself as you imagine what you could do with it and gently nudges you every time you think 'oh but what if I give in to temptation' adding 'But what if I didn't, what if I can handle it'
And then the first time you put it on, it doesn't burst into flames or crush your friends as well as your foes, it does exactly what you want it to do.
And keeps doing that, giving you exactly what you want, exactly when you want it without any strings attached, right up until the moment it doesn't.

It doesn't take a strong will to carry the ring, it takes someone who is satisfied with life, or has ambitions it can't offer a solution to.
It couldn't tempt Sam because all he wanted in life was to go home, he didn't want gold, power, all the bitches, so on, he wanted *his* garden which he already owned and to marry the girl of his dreams.
It couldn't tempt Faramir because it couldn't offer him his fathers love and approval.
As for Aragorn, his dreams required the ring to be gone in the first place.

It isn't actively offering you anything, what it does is sit there, being powerful and user friendly and maybe this time, you could tame it, after all your intentions are pure.
Right?
>>
>>45967519
>>45967420
>>45967339
>>45967489
>Frodo, when we sent you to destroy Sauron's ring, well... this isn't quite what we meant
>>
>>45984018
Is that... is that a Frankie Boyle reference?
>>
>>45963628
Because by the LotR time, he was already an Always Chaotic Evil amalgamation of Evil and Wrong that existed only to be defeated and destroyed. All of the interesting shit about him is in the earlier shit, so that he can be a plain ass simplistic villian for the LotR.

>>45983900
>Would it still have the same effects?
Yes. It would also adjust itself for the size, if it knew that such is your intent.
>>
>>45984038
well, if I remember correctly that joke involved Sam's "ring". But essentially, yes - although this guy set it up anyway>>45967519

I miss Frankie. mock the week was never the same without him.
>>
>>45968259
It has been like 15 years since I read silmarilion and some other books about the background lore or history or whatever you call it, but wasnt it there kinda like 3 tiers?

The god-arch-angel-things (melkor or whatshisname, saurons boss. And those other dudes and dudettes on the other side of the ocean where the elves go)

Their bitches (sauron and a bunch of other demigod-angels)

Then a bunch (9? 13?) like gandalf and sauruman, that kinda just appeared one day and started walking around poking shit without directly interfering.
>>
>>45984087

There were only 2 tiers.

Gandalf and Saruman were the same kind of being as Sauron and the other demi-gods.
>>
>>45969181
Considering the amount of "tobacco" Gandalf smoked, I wouldn't take all his tinfoil-paranoid delusional theories for truth though.
>>
>>45983973
>I would suggest throwing the damn thing on the ocean
That was mentioned as one of the rejected suggestions. Along with giving the ring to Tom Bombadil.
>>
>>45969477
>Retconning this hard
>>
>>45969666
kek
>>
>>45970828
He defeated Gil-Galad, who was a descendant of Fingon, who in turn descended from Fingolfin, the guy who was feared by Morgoth. So he has that going for him.

But yes, Sauron was never much of a fighter compared to the Balrogs or other Maiar. Sauron always seemed to be more of a general to me.
>>
>>45970071
>Makes some beardless lazy dwarves walk through the entire fucking world, hunted and going through hell
>Takes all the credit when they save the world

Yup, sounds like a god to me all right.
>>
>>45979197
Kind of a stretch, dude.
>>
>>45983973
There were suggestions like that in the council of Elrond.
Send it over to Valinor, so the Valar can guard it - They don't care much anymore about the fate of middle-earth, and can't be assed to guard or destroy this ring
Throw the damn thing into the sea - What if the world changes again, the sea goes dry and Sauron finds it? The ring must be destroyed, you can't just make future generations responsible for it.
Give it Tom Bombadil - He doesn't care about the ring, and even if he would guard it against Sauron, there's not much he can do against an army of Orks.
>>
>>45984214
What is a reasonable number of balrog to expect to see on the front lines of sauron's full army? Could he even control them?

I just imagine this awkward situation where Sauron is discussing duty assignment with a Balrog that wants to stand guard in Mt. Doom because it's warm and comfy, but Sauron is a dick to him and sends him down to the mines.
>>
>>45984146
Really? I remember it as sauron being a lot more demi-gody compared to gandalf and the gang.
Guess I should re-read silmarilion but meh,
>>
>>45984367
What I know, only Durins Bane survives untill the third age (or at the very least, he's the only one somewhat close enough to be found).
So there's one Balrog who could help Sauron, but I don't think he would. While he served Morgoth, there's no reason for Durins Bane to serve Sauron. Sauron was second in command back in the days, but the Balrogs loyalty was with Morgoth, not Sauron.
>>
>>45984400
The Istari had restrictions put on them. Sauron didn't have any of that shit.
>>
>>45984400

Sauron was at or near the top of that tier of spirit, the Maiar.

That was also the same kind of being that the Balrog belonged to.

Pic related are the most significant named Maiar, Mairon is Sauron, Curumo is Saruman and Olorin is Galdalf.

5 Maiar were sent to Middle Earth during the third age to help the mortal races against Sauron, they were the Istari or "The Wizards" as people called them. They took or were given new names that they went by in Middle-Earth.
>>
>>45982874
The "Eye of Sauron" is just a heraldic symbol, anon. It's not like the White Hand of Saruman was an actual disembodied hand, either.
>>
>>45984150
Dont trust this guy, he is Sauron shitposting
>>
File: mayonnaise.png (452KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mayonnaise.png
452KB, 640x480px
Does anyone have the "Alex Jones claims Aragorn is a conspiracy" screencap? I've been looking for it, and this seems like the thread to ask.
>>
>>45984011
The temptation of Sam is definitely one of the best written sequences in the book.

"MORDOR REMADE, A LAND GREEN AND FAIR, A GARDEN-KINGDOM WHICH ALL WHO BEHOLD SHALL WEEP"
how am i supposed to keep a whole country properly weeded
"YOU'D HAVE SERVANTS TO DO THE WEEDING"
like hell i would, what kind of gardener would trust someone else around his plants' roots
"WELL FUCK YOU THEN KID"
>>
>>45985568
>"YOU WILL BE THE GREATEST WARLORD OF THEM ALL, EVERYONE WILL BOW TO YOU!"
>"But I just wanna go home and work in the garden..."
>"THE WHOLE WORLD WILL BE YOUR GARDEN!"
>"But I can't work in the whole world, that'S too much"
>"YOU SERVANTS WILL DO IT, YOU WILL ONLY DO THE FINEST WORKS OF GARDENING ANYONE HAS EVER DONE!"
>"Meh, Old Gaffer always said: "Elves and Dragons! Cabbages and potatoes are better for me and you.". He knows what he's saying"
>"HE'S A FOOL AND SOON HE WILL CRAWL TO YOU FEET!"
>"You know, I really don't need you, I think I'll take the ring off"
>"NO, DON'T TAKE ME OFF, I'M USEFUL TO YOU, YOU NEED ME! YOU WANT ME!"
>"Eh, old Gandalf told me not to meddle with the affairs of wizards and nobles, that's what I'll do"
>"NO, DON'T TAKE ME OFF! NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
>>
>>45970176
The guy was in the Trenches of WWI, of course he had a crisis of faith.
Though he was still devoutly Christian, and it did show in his works.
His best friend C.S. Lewis, who was also devoutly Christian, often spitballed ideas with him. In fact, Lewis' Perlandrea series was practically written by both of them.
>>
>>45986380
>also devoutly Christian
He had lapsed until Tolkien convinced him otherwise.
>>
File: image.jpg (255KB, 1045x869px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
255KB, 1045x869px
>>
>>45986380
Perelandra is my favorite of the Space trilogy and I'm pretty sure I'm alone in that opinion.
>>
>>45986447
Galadriel pls
>>
>>45984316
>Gollum, you have to let it go or it will do this thing to you
>he doesn't let go
>it does the thing to him
How on earth is that a stretch?
>>
>>45977406
Notice that it's never explicitly identified as Frodo's voice, and the voice came out of the fire at the figure's breast.

I've always taken that to mean that it's the Ring itself cursing Gollum. Which would mean that evil destroyed itself. Which is fun.
>>
>>45990536
>The one ring destroys itself just so no one can say it was wrong.

This is now canon.
>>
>>45990451
>If you don't do this thing something bad might happen and one of those bad things might be you die.

You are the kinda person who reads and believes in horoscopes, am I right?
>>
>>45977406
>Then suddenly, as before under the eaves of the Emyn Muil, Sam saw these two rivals with other vision.
What happened at Emyn Muil? And where was that again? Faramir's outpost?
>>
>>45982637
>>45982611
>>45982572
No, no, no. Melkor NOR the other Valar could "create" on a pure level of utter "creation." That power is reserved for Eru. Melkor was infuriated that he could not sing anything that "did not already have its source in Eru," and his frustration for not being able to create anything that God did not already have a hand in aggravated his pride and led to his downfall.
>>
File: the truth comes out.png (319KB, 1899x971px) Image search: [Google]
the truth comes out.png
319KB, 1899x971px
>>45984855
I got you, elf-friend
>>
>>45990627
I'm not even really following your argument with that other fellow, but you DO realize this is a universe where God is definitely behind the scenes controlling everything, right?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (297KB, 1122x742px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
297KB, 1122x742px
FĂ«anor did nothing wrong.
>>
>>45984482
And Aiwendil is Radagast.
>>
>>45991776
Is it just me or is the arm pointing the sword a little fucked up, foreshortening-wise?
>>
>>45991569
I'm not criticizing gods or spirituality or any of that crap (would be rather silly in a fantasy setting full of em, yes?).
What I mean is he's taking a really vague thing someone says and reads way to much into it.

Kinda like if your friend starts doing a lot of drugs and you say "This will probably not end well", then a year later when he OD's you go "BAM, CALLED IT!"
>>
>>45976184

Don't you mean ORM?
>>
>>45991945
The problem is that the Someone in question here doing the saying is being written by someone with rather unsubtle motivations.

In fact, to kind of usurp that other Anon's argument, Gollum's death at the hands of the Ring is foreshadowed as early as book one -- of the trilogy itself. From Chapter 6, if memory serves; Gandalf is talking about Gollum with Frodo, who has just said that Gollum deserves to have died back when he was made captive by the Elves:

>Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. And he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end; and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many – yours not least.

Now, it's obvious that Tolkien's distaste for capital punishment (also frowned on by his faith) is at least the source of Gandalf's primary argument for mercy, but here we should also look at the second part of what Gandalf says, starting with
>And he is bound up with the fate of the Ring.
As you can see, this part connects the mercy of Bilbo directly to the survival of Gollum and then to the eventual destruction of the Ring before this last bit even happens. In fact, I'd feel comfortable calling this a textbook example of foreshadowing.
>>
>>45991776
>tfw you're such a colossal dick that the Valar won't even let you reincarnate in Valinor
>>
>>45992868
there is a room in mandos where the valar put all their least favorite elves. Eol, Maeglin, and Feanor are in this room for all eternity, serenaded by a lone vanyar bard who had thought it a good idea to try to seduce Varda during the second age
>>
Tar Mairon did nothing wrong.
>>
File: laughing elves.gif (875KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
laughing elves.gif
875KB, 500x281px
>>45993673
>Hell is being stuck in a room with an elf bard for all eternity
Harsh
>>
What would Sauron do if he actually won the War of the Ring?

Want a Total War LOTR in the future at some point.
>>
>>45969788
>>45982485
Aaaand now I wanna see some R34 of Huan with Ameterasu from Okami. Thanks /tg/.
>>
>>45968009
go back to le leddit
>>
>>45968066
Yeah, fine. Beyond the melted insides.
>>
Could anyone give a guide for getting into Tolkien's universe for normies like me? I know Lord of the Rings is probably the most popular and well known, but what if I want to really get into the history of the world? Should I start with the Silmarillion?
>>
>>45963628
Literally would have won if he put a locked door on the entrance of the volcano.
>>
>>45997512
>the hobbit
>LOTR
>Appendices
>Silmarillion
>Children of Hurin

Only acceptable answer. Also the Children of Hurin is pretty good.
>>
>>45997861
Wow, I wasn't entirely expecting an answer. Thank you! Would you recommend I read them in the order you listed them?
>>
>>45967774
It's not rape if we like it.
>>
>>45996099
>disliking meme candidate
>gb2r
uh....
>>
>>45990627
No? But I'm aware of the concept of foreshadowing.
>>
>>45998023
Not him, but yeah, that's the way to do it, although I personally read Children of HĂşrin before the Silmarillion. They cover some of the same territory but Children of HĂşrin is a bit more specific.
>>
>>45967950
Exactly what I was thinking. Not like Sam and Frodo strolled into Mordor wondering where everyone was.
>>
>>45963851
>Sauron was literally unable to imagine someone would try to destroy The One Ring

This is a terrible explanation.
>you are oppressive evil dude
>everyone hates you
>you're basically invincible
>you won't die unless ring is destroy
>you have enemies who have to kill you

Destroying the ring is literally the first thing they'll do.
>>
>>45998023
Different anon here; that order seems good, although I would say that The Hobbit or the Appendices are nice but not "required reading". At the least, they need some disclosure: The Hobbit has a fairly trite plot-line (I think I read that it was originally a fairy tale he wrote for his son?) but is well-written and helps set up The LotR. The Appendices, IIRC, are, uh, a little dense.

LotR -> Silmarillion I can highly recommend. Children of Hurin I haven't read yet, so I can't say.

Shit. I also haven't read Lost Tales or Tales From the Perilous Realm and these threads keep reminding me that I need to re-read the entire legendarium
>>
>>45963628
>Why is he so retarded?
Because he wasn't a Villain or a general.

Sauron is a Smith God an an symbol of progress shoe horned into war by other gods, a ended up consumed by hate for those gods creations
>>
>>45997861
>>45998023
>children of hurin
Don't read it unless you want to feel melancholy for a week.
>>
>>45998582
No. Trying to use the ring is the first thing they try to do. Like, LITERALLY. And even when they tried, they literally couldn't.
>>
>>45998582

You left out a few relevant facts.

>Ring mindfucks anyone who picks it up and tempts them into using it
>Using it reveals them to Sauron instantly
>The mindfuckery has a 100% proven track record

Stop being retarded.
>>
>>45998702

The Appendices are THAT much more dense than the Silmarillion itself, and it contains shit you'd otherwise miss like the story of Aragorn and Arwen.

I wouldn't recommend skipping it unless you break out in hives at the sight of genealogies.
>>
>>45988893
Yes you are.
>>
>>45998872
>I wouldn't recommend skipping it unless you break out in hives at the sight of genealogies.
Yep, that sounds like me. Or rather, me when I was 15 years-old and last read this series.

>like the story of Aragorn and Arwen
Fuck, really? I saw some anons reminiscing over how great this story was in one of the last /tg/ LotR threads and I was trying to figure out where it was. I thought it might've been in the Silmarillion (can't find my copy) but this helps, thanks
>>
>>45998994

The genealogies aren't actually THAT big a part of the Appendices and they're frequently broken up by stories about what the different kings of note actually did.

The Appendices really do contain a lot of neat stuff.
>>
>>45998994
Lets say this
The entire story of LoTR is mentioned in the last page of the silmarillion in brief. Thats about it.
That is the space the entire story takes up in the history of arda at the end of the third age.
>>
>>45999073

>The entire story of LoTR is mentioned in the last page of the Silmarillion in brief. Thats about it.
>That is the space the entire story takes up in the history of arda at the end of the third age.

That's not quite fair, that page starts with a line that goes something like:
>"We know you've already read this story so we'll just summarize"

You very much get the feeling that there would have been more to that retelling if it wasn't for The Lord of the Rings already being a published book that anyone reading would already have read.

The story of Turin might have been a summary like that too if The Children of Hurin had been published before the Silmarillion.
>>
>>45999302
hmm, that is true, but it gave off the sense of scale in arda perfectly. Everything that the fellowship does is their struggle, but they follow in spirit heroes like beren and hurin.
>>
>>45999073
What else of note happened in the third age?
>>
>>45999347

Fuck all.
>>
>>45999347
well the noldorin started leaving en masse.
The balrog woke up.

Anyway, does the description of Minas Tirith at the end of LoTR give anyone a nostalgic feel?
>>
>>45998702
>Lost Tales
>Tales From the Perilous Realm
Thanks, I'll add those to my list too
>>
>>45990536
But that would require the Ring to be sentient, which would require it to have a soul. But Sauron couldn't have created a soul for the Ring, since only Eru can do that.

>>45999347
Well, the important events of the Third Age were mostly those involving the decline of the Numenorean kingdoms and the lead-up to the War of the Ring. So there's the Kin-strife, the Great Plague, the invasion of Gondor by the Wainriders, the fall of Arnor, the Battle of Fornost, the Oath of Eorl, the Long Winter, the fall of Moria, the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, the fall of Erebor, and eventually the Battle of the Five Armies and the reclamation of Erebor. The appendices goes over this in much greater detail than the Silmarillion, which is mostly focused on the First Age.
>>
>>46000940
Isn't the Akallabeth focused on the 2nd age?
>>
>>46001008
Yeah, there are 5 parts of the Silmarillion (Ainulindale, Valaquenta, Quenta Silmarillion, Akallabeth, Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age), but the Quenta Silmarillion is like 2/3 of the book and is entirely focused on the First Age.
>>
anybody have lord of the rings strategy battle game or the hobbit rules? I can't seem to find them anywhere
>>
File: Mairon.jpg (258KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Mairon.jpg
258KB, 1280x1920px
>>45998804
>the most dangerous being alive is a smith who dislikes it when things are messy
>>
File: Just cuck my shit up fam.jpg (139KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
Just cuck my shit up fam.jpg
139KB, 590x590px
>>45999546
>Aragorn sings Elendil's words as the last Numenoréans lands on middle-earth
>friends thought it was super gay
>I could barely hold back mantears because I knew what he sang
>>
>>45998582
But you cant willingly destroy it, soon as you get into mount doom its power is at its peak, youll succumb, he only lost because Gollum fell
>>
>>46001135
I'll upload them when I get in my computer , I'm on the phone atm.

Also if you have Tabletop simulator/live in London we could have a game.
>>
>>45968103
I think there's a wraith-image of Sauron in the movie deleted scenes somewhere. It's not Tolkien, but you can use it anyway.
>>
>>45969308
>They seem resistant to corruption and domination and were able to resist the effect of the rings he gave them.
Didn't it just make them extra gold-hungry and lusting? Dwarven rings could take gold and make more gold, but they couldn't corrupt them in the same way that Men were.

For that matter, what the fuck happened to the Dwarven rings of power? Was there one in Erebor?
>>
>>45984367
The Balrogs were already creatures of the same order as Sauron. They served Morgoth as generals and his highest warriors. Why would they give a shit about Morgoth's bitch-ass lieutenant?

If Sauron had gone to Moria and tried to get Durin's Bane to do what he asked, it would have just told him to go eat a dick.
>>
>>45991776

>reminder that Feanor could have unmade the Ring
>reminder that Feanor would not have unmade the Ring because he was a greedy asshole
>>
>>45998582
>Destroying the ring is literally the first thing they'll do.
Anon, the first thing Boromir thought was to USE the fucking thing, not destroy it.
>>
>>46004750
Your friends are knights of the highest order of faggotry.
>>
>>46004750
t. wife beater
>>
>>46001135
Here is a link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx0K6svbpxs4X2lUaUxmV0dIelE

I'll upload the rest of the scenarios there later so keep it around.

If you fancy game over steam using TTS feel free to add me. My username is
'mehow80' with my nickname being Chicken Slayer.
>>
>>46001092
And most of the rest is spent in Valaquenta. Akallabeth, Ainulindale, and Of the Rings are all very brief. I have to say I enjoyed the first two parts unreasonably much.
>>
>>45990536
Earlier in the book between when they took the rope off golem and met faramir I believe frodo said to gollum that he lays a curse on him that should gollum try to take the ring from him that gollum would hurl himself into the orodruim
>>
>>45963628
I seem to remember there was an outpost guarding a certain pass above a certain spider lair.

Remember? The gayer hobbit leveled in barbarian and slaughtered half the damn garrison (Ok, two guys while the rest fought over the mithril coat, but close enough)
>>
>>46005503
Yeah, so they were fairly useless to Sauron as they didn't bring the Dwarf lords under his dominion. The Dwarf rings weren't inherently different to the human ones, by the way, they just affected the species differently.

Several of them were destroyed by dragonfire. I believe Sauron reclaimed most of the others and just had them lying around.
>>
>>45967289
>The looks
When i got it, i actually laughed
>>
>>46006969
>The gayer hobbit leveled in barbarian

You mean Paladin, and Smite Evil.
>>
>>46005634
>reminder that FĂ«anor asked for a single lock of Galadriel's hair three times
>reminder that Galadriel turned him down three times because he was a colossal dick
>reminder that 7000 years later Galadriel gave Gimli three locks of her hair when he asked for one

I wonder if some of the Elves noticed what she did.
>>
>>45963628
>> Doesn't have the idea to construct a outpost or at least send a detachment to guard the entrance to mount doom
But he does?
>>
>>46005503
>For that matter, what the fuck happened to the Dwarven rings of power? Was there one in Erebor?
Four were destroyed by dragons, three were recaptured by Sauron after he figured out the dwarves weren't being fully corrupted by the Rings. There was one in Erebor, but Thrain (Thorin's father) was captured by Sauron while traveling through Mirkwood, and his Ring of Power was taken and never recovered.
>>
>>46007437
I think Legolas noticed.
>>
>>46007740
What did Sauron plan to do with those rings he reacquired anyway?
>>
>>46007437
>>46007940

Never knew the back story.

i wonder if the actors knew this. i wonder if peter jackson knew this.

or if orlando is holding back laughter because he thinks the dwarf is such a cuck pussy for asking for hair.
>>
>>46009456
you know how people always ask about the effect of the precious as cock-ring?
>>
>>46004750
Try explaining it to them.
I did to my friends.
>>
>>46005701
Manly tears make you a wife beater now?
>>
File: arms like small trees.jpg (54KB, 736x1080px) Image search: [Google]
arms like small trees.jpg
54KB, 736x1080px
>>46009599
apparently most of them were made to read the lore, but I don't know how much of it. If /tg/ had made the film I assume the actors would only be given the lore they would be familiar with in character.
>>
>>46010756
I was referring to your reaction image
>>
>>46010855
that wasn't me.
I just found it funny that someone understanding the significance behind LoTR would spend time beating his wife.
something about that mental image was funny.
>>
>>46010887
my original comment was sparked by exactly the same image with the man understanding the significance being the Bloody Barron which made it all the funnier.
>>
>>46010942
This is too funny for me.
>>
Every time I come across one of these threads I remember how much I want/need to read the Silmarillion

This time however I'm also considering rereading the lord of the rings. Read it once when I was younger and the experience didn't sit well, tolkien's slow over description never did it for me.

Maybe now that I've mellowed out a bit I'll be able to appreciate it a little more or maybe not, I'm still butthurt about him taking a page of a half to describe a single small ass room
>>
>>46011037
>I'm still butthurt about him taking a page of a half to describe a single small ass room
it might help you to reflect on the fact that when does that actually happen? Be specific. Many people rag on Tolkien for being over-descriptive but this isn't backed by textual evidence.
>>
>>46011085
I rather found it to be the opposite.
He uses few words that actually let your imagination fly. I mean, the morgai was supposed to be filled with thorny brambles that we never see.
>>
>>46011085

Well, I just picked up my copy and went to the part that I thought was it, but apparently I was wrong - it's mostly dialogue, at least here.

Well, I guess I'm eating my words, then. I really need to re read this book now.

I remembered it being the part where Frodo and Sam encounter Faramir and stay with him and his company for a while, but apparently not.

Funny thing though, Faramir does note that there is something "weird" about Frodo, something elvish. Putting it together with what I saw on a thread a while back about how once you're called "elf friend" you get a sort of aura that only elves can see telling them that you're a cool guy, I think this is particularly neat. I guess I'll be able to take a lot more enjoyment out of these books now.

Still, I guess I"ll probably try to grab a copy of The Silmarillion first
>>
>>46011384
>Well, I just picked up my copy and went to the part that I thought was it, but apparently I was wrong - it's mostly dialogue, at least here.
Yeah, that happened with me too. Don't feel bad, that happens to a lot of people. I too had the same impression the first time I read the series: for some reason, I also misremembered the occasional dryness of the series for overdescription.

If I were you, I'd start anew with the Hobbit, especially if you haven't read it already. It's even easier to read than LotR proper, and much easier to read than the Silmarillion. Either way, if you want my advice, reread the Hobbit and LotR before tackling the Silmarillion. The appendices are also good to at least take a peek at.
>>
>>46011467
>read the hobbit
>start reading LoTR
>warm comfy feel at the start
>dat seamless transition into epic adventure when they set out with strider
perfect.
>>
>>46011467

I do have the Hobbit, but I don't think it counts, I have the comic version. It's very complete but since it's mixed with artwork the density goes down a lot

As for the appendices, I distinctly remember attempting to give them a shot when I was younger and noping out imediately. I was a proud lad at 16 but even I knew my limitations
>>
>>46011544
>hobbit
>comic
Why is this a thing?

Also, yes the appendices are an acquired taste.
>>
>>46011628

It's actually legitimately good. Art is nice, pacing is great, and as far as I know they don't cut out anything. It's the one by Charles Dixon and David Wenzel, look it up.

Also fuck you, I got it as a present and it's still one of my favorite gifts
>>
>>46011716
hey, I am not judging.
Its just that it will always be different from what your mind cooks up.
>>
File: coffee sponge.gif (1MB, 1275x916px) Image search: [Google]
coffee sponge.gif
1MB, 1275x916px
>>46011787

True that. I guess I'll never get that feeling since it was given to me before I ever had the book, so it was the first version of the story I ever read

Granted I haven't read it in a while, if I pick up the book now I'll probably cook up something new to fill in the blanks. How long has it been?

>Check date on the book
>2008

...fuck.
>>
>>46005634
What would Dark Lord FĂ«anor have been like if he'd been around in the Third Era to claim the Ring?
>>
>>46012053
>implying he would care about this trinket. He, the guy who crafted the Silmarills.
>>
>>46012053
Feanor would probably use it to finger his ass.
>>
>>46012096
He totally would. He's the greediest asshole who ever lived. He'd be corrupted the moment he laid eyes on the thing. And he may be the greatest Elf, but the power of a strong Maia like Sauron would still be a quite significant boost.
>>
>>46012290
I don't remember him being greedy. The only thing he really wanted was a strand of Galadriels hair, which he never got and never would get.
Yes, he was a massive pain in the butt for everyone, but I think his pride and ego would get the better of him. He only wants the Silmarills and Galadriels hair, and these are things the ring couldn't really give him. Besides, he's not just some random elf, he is Feanor, the greatest craftsman of all, the greatest elf who ever lived! And he sure wouldn't get his most wanted possession due to a thing a servant of Morgoth made.

Remember, this is the guy who was so far up his own ass that it took a bunch of gods to convince him that the world shouldn't be forever covered in pure darkness. And after he gave in to their begging and found out that his father was killed, he swore an oath that would culimnate in the destruction of Beleriand, the deaths of untold elfs and the banishment of the Noldor from Valinor. Just because he didn't feel like giving his jewels away.
>>
File: 1452910758775.gif (649KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452910758775.gif
649KB, 300x300px
>>46005752
you have just single handedly saved my attempt to start a LotRSBG play group, you absolute hero
>>
>>46013152
No worries, I have some out of print books with old armies/tutorials and scenarios. I'll upload them tomorrow to that folder so make sure you check it.

Happy Wargamming
>>
>>45997861
Is the appendicies wfere thet mention the fate of the Lonely Mountain? My dad wad a huge LotR fan, and I remember him talking about it from time to time
>>
>>46012592
The Ring could help with both of those things. They're made far easier by being a demigod with the ability to dominate the minds of all. He could set up his own kingdom away from those asshole gods who tell him what to do, he could subjugate all those assholes who refuse to help him like the Teleri and enlist their aid in his quest by force, he could take all the time in the world searching for his lost jewels with the aid of his newfound slaves... And surely a great craftsman knows a great work of art when he sees one, and the Ring is certainly impressive.

I mean, come on. Feanor is arrogant, selfish, reckless, proud and vain. The Ring would be on his finger within seconds. You don't become immune to it by being arrogant to such a degree that you look down on even Sauron. If anything, that would make him even more corruptible since he would not pay heed to the danger. I mean, the Ring even sorely tempted Galadriel who was of a far higher moral caliber than Feanor ever was.
>>
>>45998856
Yes, and after that happened and the Ring resurfaced they realized pretty quickly that using it was not an option and it needs to be destroyed - making Sauron an idiot who can not imagine that his enemies learn from failed strategies.
>>
>>46013558

If I remember correctly, yes.
>>
>>46013741
Even when the council knew what needed to be done, the ring already had them at each others' throats over who should be the one to do it, until Frodo stepped up.

Unless that was something made up for the movies, it has been ages since I read the books.
>>
>>46013741
But it was an incredibly shitty and desperate plan because it's inherently impossible to overpower the will of Sauron in the heart of Orodruin for any being still remaining in Middle Earth. The anti-Sauron coalition could either claim the Ring and fight Sauron with it, which he feared, or they could attempt to destroy it and end up delivering it into his hand since no one could have destroyed it willingly.

He literally lost because Gollum tripped. Up until that accident, everything was going great. He was like a few minutes away from one of the Nazgul dragging Frodo to him and bringing him the final victory. His plans not accounting for something so unlucky and random is hardly his fault.
Thread posts: 289
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.