[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>you find a legendary sword >the blessing of the setting's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 1274343678417.jpg (173KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1274343678417.jpg
173KB, 1280x1024px
>you find a legendary sword
>the blessing of the setting's one true god aside, it's not terribly impressive compared to new production weapons from a competent blacksmith because there have been significant advances in metallurgy, ergonomics and the like in the 1000 years since it was last used
>>
File: weeaboo fightan magic.gif (3MB, 244x233px) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo fightan magic.gif
3MB, 244x233px
>>45942980
It'll still look cool on my back as I fight with weeaboo martial-arts magic.
>>
>>45942980
>Better shaped metal
>vs the setting's sole diety's blessing and power
Who the fuck care hell well it cuts if I can shoot goddamn laser beams out the end of it?
>>
>>45943048
care's how*
Man I should really get some coffee.
>>
>>45942980
That was actually a minor plot point in one of the Zelda games, the Master Sword was fucking magic, but it could still be improved by a blacksmith because the metallurgy had come a ways since it was first forged.
>>
>>45942980
Op, i basically entered this thread to say what >>45943065 said.

You are not as clever as you think you are.
>>
Is this a thinly veiled stat me thread?
>>
>>45942980
Make it more interesting by having it hold no enchantments at all and the hero surrounded by zealots. He wants to get rid of the sword, but he can't without losing the respect of his retainers.

Despite there being no enchantments, he plays up it's power as though it was an earth shattering relic that only he can use. See King from OPM.
>>
>>45943065
That's the image of the master sword from A Link to the Past: the game where that's actually a plot point in. The plot was revisited in Skyward Sword (mildly) and A Link Between Worlds.

I think he knows exactly what he's doing.
>>
>>45943083
That's literally a picture of the master sword from lttp. Apologize for questioning my cleverness.
>>
>>45942980
Who cares how good it's at slicing and slashing? It's a symbol.

I'm not gonna see any actual fighting anyway, hired thugs and devout supporters will do that. Most important part is the Mandate of Heaven.
>>
>Be fisher boy
>Magic lady from a lake gives you a magic sword
>Shows you how to use it and trains you to be a man

Thanks DM, that was a great backstory. Nice balance of plot and motivation, and magical realm.
>>
>>45943167
Ganondorf calls it 'dulled' and it has to be reforged in Wind Waker as well, though I think that's a result of bbeg magic as opposed to technological increases.
>>
>>45943405
FUCK OFF

DON'T EVEN MENTION THAT SHIT

JUST

FUCK. OFF.
>>
>>45943650
What is it?
>>
File: 1363127969947.png (338KB, 524x478px) Image search: [Google]
1363127969947.png
338KB, 524x478px
>>45943674
>>
>>45943674
He's talking about those prancing faggots, Bretonia.
>>
>>45943674
>>45943780
bait/10
>>
>>45943405
Remember your training, Tenchi.
>>
>>45943405
Kinky. I like it.
>>
File: 79.jpg (105KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
79.jpg
105KB, 900x900px
>>45942980
>it's not terribly impressive compared to new production weapons from a competent blacksmith because there have been significant advances in metallurgy, ergonomics and the like in the 1000 years since it was last used
>>
>>45944560
Ayup. A little advancement, a little lewdness, and all the reason to become an adventurer.
>>
>>45943405
Never to be sufficiently praised, what you think I'm gonna knowingly insult the Fair Folk?Fae. Even when they're being nice they fuck you.
>>
>>45944521
Arthur never had that many love interests.
>>
>>45944742
In this case she was an actual proper (minor) goddess, so my character just became a paladin to her. No real dickery, unless kidnapping a peasant boy and turning him into your divine errand dog is dickery.
>>
>>45944933
Is it wrong to pick up shotas in the Welsh countryside?
>>
>>45945215
Maybe not in the middle ages.
>>
>>45945215
>Is it wrong to pick up shotas in the Welsh countryside?
Dude, that's like, 90% percent of Arthurian legend, right there.

The rest is adultery.
>>
>>45945215
I know in mainland Europe trending towards Germany, at least I think up till the Renaissance, some mercenary groups would pay prostitutes or just working women to basically seduce farm boys and get them passed out drunk so the group could more or less kidnap and force the boys into mercenary service. Farm boys because there were a lot of them and outside the cities so a few here and there weren't likely to be missed, and often they weren't related to the farm owners just hired help so wouldn't live/sleep with the owning family, instead say out in the barn or something similar. Easier to kidnap a passed out drunk kid in the morning when he's in a barn, rather than from the farmer's house. In some cases they wouldn't even bother with trying to get the kid drunk or bother with/risk trespassing in order to kidnap, so the woman would just lure the boy away from work and off the farm property and keep them busy/distracted till the mercenaries showed up to grab the kid.
>>
>>45942980
Weapons are created with a specific purpose in mind.
Later swords aren't just plain better overall. They are better for specific reasons and at specific tasks.
If this sword was created to slay evil and has the ability to do so, it'll probably still be up to snuff. It's still a damn sword, it still wounds people just fine, who gives a shit if it's less effective in some aspects.

Also, directly about the Master Sword: The thing was made by a highly advanced civilization with tech-magic and possibly nanomachines. It's a really fucking good sword.
You only "upgrade" it in Link to the Past, and there it most likely has lost it's power. I mean, if it has lost most of it's power in Wind Waker thanks to Ganondorf's short trip to the holy realm, it's probably completely fucked up in Link to the Past.

>>45943101
Depending on the game it's probably a longsword with some additional armor penetration, the ability to parry and reflect magic missiles, the ability to shoot lasers at full health and possibly the ability to store up energy and unleash a spin attack.
>>
>>45944563
Holy shit a rare druid.

(How mysterious!)
>>
>>45943405
Hey at least it ain't like Siegfried who got fucked up by Odin.

>''Oh hey boy you bathed in dragon blood right? Here you have this magic-victory rune sword.''
>''Let me just waltz in on your duel, shatter your sword that i gave you and fuck you up with my spear''
>>
>>45945593
That's kind of hot
>>
>>45943065
Its sorta weird in A Link to the Past.
Okay, so you temper and sharpen it, because metallurgy had some insane improvements.
But you still get it blessed by the Fairy too, since thats also a option.
>>
>>45942980
I have always pondered stuff like this. No matter the skill of the blacksmith, a weapon will eventually dull and rot. However, if said weapon is magical, it seems to me an unspoken rule that the weapon will never grow dull, rust or brittle its structure. Are there any magic settings where enchantments have a lifespan? How long will a greatsword +1 keep its +1?
>>
It would be weird imagining the swords previous owners.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.