[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Filling out a Dungeons and Dragons character sheet is literally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
Filling out a Dungeons and Dragons character sheet is literally 2 hours of banal busywork before you get to anything resembling actual gameplay. As a working adult, 2 hours of my time is worth over fifty dollars. Each and every character I make costs me a FIFTY FUCKING DOLLARS.
>>
File: giphy.gif (326KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
326KB, 500x269px
>>45885117
Opportunity costs imply you would be spending that time to work, but people don't usually fill out their character sheets while they're supposed to be on the clock.

Realistically, your opportunity cost would be something closer to watching television or shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>45885117
It only takes that long if you have no idea what you're doing and need help. If you know what you're doing it can take just a few minutes (depending on edition and starting level).
>>
>>45885206

This desu, senpai.

OPs lack of understanding of basic macroeconomics makes me question who would pay him/her $25 to work.
>>
Well to make that character you're basically paying for a video game that you can do nearly anything in, including kill important NPCs and have a non-standard familiar.
>>
Then do something else, dipshit.
>>
>>45885296
>non-standard familiar

You say that, but my DM forbade me from having a sapient briar patch companion :(
>>
>>45885283
Well I mean when you try to troll you have to appeal to the masses, and the masses don't know jack about macroeconomics either, so you have to go lowest common denominator and just say stuff that seems like it makes sense.
>>
File: roll.gif (26KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
roll.gif
26KB, 650x450px
>>45885117

>you've spent tens of thousands of dollars worth of time shitposting
>>
>>45885117
What about a book then that you both pay and then read for sometimes more than 10 hours?
And if you don't like making sheet, just ask a friend to teach you how to do them quickly.
And if you have no friend serves you right for earning 25 dollars per hour in america
>>
>>45885365

You'd be a thousandaire if it wasn't for 4chin
>>
File: Full Plebeian.jpg (139KB, 579x527px) Image search: [Google]
Full Plebeian.jpg
139KB, 579x527px
>>45885117
This is clearly bait but here's your (you) so you'll go away.

1) It's your choice to play. If you can't make the time to participate then that's your choice

2) A D&D Character sheet does not take 2 hours once you're familiar with the system you're playing. Since we're talking about D&D specifically then I can let you know, low level martial characters can be finished in under a half-hour if you know what you're doing. Wizards take slightly longer because spells but 45 minutes to 1 hour tops. Higher level characters of course take longer but that is one of the reasons most campaigns start at lower levels, because the time of building a character and the experience to do it effectively are spread out over a longer time period.

3) Have pre-made characters available. Am i the only one who does this? I always have at least 2 pre-made characters at lvl 1 prepared for each system that my group likes to use at all times. That way I don't waste time deciding on a character, I simply choose from 3-4 available ones that I already have prepared and then take 20 mins to level them appropriately prior to a session.

4) build off of a concept. Have an idea of the way your character is going to progress and what you want the character to be like.

5) Know the system. If you are familiar with the system and the rules it should not take you this long for a low-level character OP. If you don't know the system well, the why the fuck are you playing a high-level campaign? If you don't know the system you should be playing a low-level game, at which point it doesn't take this long because you have a low-level character.

You have no-one but yourself to blame OP. Either stop playing or learn the rules.
>>
>>45885117
Maybe you should check out some older editions? OD&D and B/X and other old school games have more streamlined characters, and roll up takes about 5 minutes.
>>
>>45885117

So sad is he, which counts his life in a currency

other than life and love

alas for all his knowledge he will never know

the meaning of his soul, in which happiness
grows

do not covet his things, for he will need them

the poorest of all men.
>>
Who the fuck takes two hours to fill out a character sheet?
>>
>>45885117
Rolling a moldvay basic d&d character with equipment tables should take like 15 minutes tops
>>
>>45885525
OP's non-existing girlfriend, who recently joined his group which does not exist
>>
>>45885117
You need 2 hours to make a character? How retarded are you?
>>
>>45885591
Does his pretend girlfriend have downs or something? I mean, holy shit it does not take two goddamn hours to roll a character.
>>
>>45885117
It takes you 2 hours? Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>45885206
I'll have you know as someone who makes over $9000 a second, creating this post alone cost more than your life savings.
>>
>>45885117
>2 hours of my time is worth over fifty dollars
wow, where can I get paid for shitposting?
>>
>>45885641
Would anyone actually make a pretend girlfriend with downs? That is fucking sick. OP is fucking sick.
>>
>>45885641
In my experience it takes about a hour and a half to roll up people's girlfriends characters. They always want to be a caster.
>>
>>45885117
Is this another "blame my hobby for my problems" thread?
>>
>>45885117
>Filling out a Dungeons and Dragons character sheet is literally 2 hours of banal busywork
>literally 2 hours
are you sure you're not actually playing GURPS
>>
>>45885968
>are you sure you're not actually playing GURPS
It sounds like RIFTS to be honest.
>>
File: this guy gets it.jpg (138KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
this guy gets it.jpg
138KB, 472x472px
>>45885389
/thread
>>
The fact that you chose to do it proves that you valued the character sheet more than $50.

t. Efficient Market Hypothesis
>>
>>45885117
That assumes you have a high earning job, firstly, and that you have such little mechanical competence as to take that long with it.

Really, you're most likely gonna spend 1 hour at it, losing you maybe $15 or so on average. Considering time for breaks, the average amount of time you spend going to the toilet or smoking while at work and the fact that you likely aren't entirely productive with your time in work anyway, chances are you have some time you could shave off somewhere to work on it. And thats assuming you do it at work, which would make you a piece of shit but whatever,

Now, if you wanted to talk opportunity cost, we need to work out some things. Lets take the average value of a productive adults life as 9.4 million, as per recent documents by the US Transportation Department. Presuming you are an American Male, your life expectancy is 78.74 years, so we'll say 79 for simplicity sake.

In your life, you have 692040 hours total. If we spread the total value over this, we get 13.58. So, one hour of your life is worth $13.58. Therefore, spending one hour on building a character is essentially the equivalent of splurging on cheap liquour or a small quantity thereof. Now, I dont know about you, but I generally get more enjoyment out of a character for a ttrpg than I would from a small bottle of cheap whiskey so, really, its a pretty solid investment.
>>
>>45885117
Nobody gets paid to fill out character sheets. Certainly not $25/hour. So your actual cost is $0/hour x 2 hours = $0.

lern2ecnomics

Also, sage.
>>
>>45885345
Sounds like a douche.
>>
>>45885117
>2 hours
Only takes me about half an hour in 5e
>>
>>45885117
Wtf kinda shit edition you playing

3d6 in order, pick class, buy equipment, 15 minutes tops (30 minutes if allowed to buy pets)
>>
>>45885117
Play Risus, fucker.
>>
>>45885117
I've never seen Char gen go north of 40 mins ever, even with complete beginners
>>
>>45885117

Then don't fill it out while you're supposed to be working.

Problem solved.
>>
>>45885117
The point of having a high paying job is so that you have more time for leisure. If you do not find filling a character sheet (which is part of the hobby) enjoyable, then maybe you should find something else to do with your time.
>>
>>45885695
Judging by some peoples fetishes online a girlfriend with downs is the least of our worries.
>>
Play 4e. Use the character builder and be done in ten to fifteen minutes.
>>
>>45885117
>not spending weeks planning your character and relishing every second of writing up your new sheet
filthy casual.
>>
>>45885525
He's playing 3.5.
>>
>>45885117
>takes two hours to fill out a character sheet
>someone is willing to pay him $25+/hour
nice try anon, we can all tell you're a nigger
>>
File: look at him and laugh.jpg (146KB, 641x480px) Image search: [Google]
look at him and laugh.jpg
146KB, 641x480px
>>45885117
>$25+/hr
this retard has a j o b. look at him and laugh.
>>
>>45885117
Wait, are you filling out an epic level caster in 3.5 or are you just bad with math?
>>
>>45885117

Two issues. One, you probably can't get anyone to pay you $25 every single hour 24/7 so that doesn't really work like that. You're probably pretty close to maxed out on the hours your employer(s) value you at, actually. Two, how the fuck does it take you two hours to fill out a character sheet? Your brain moves that slowly and you make nearly four times minimum wage? That's legitimately impressive to go that far with such a severe disability.
>>
I earn $50 dollars an hour and I don't feel cheated when I'm playing with my friends anon.
>>
>>45885380
Am rich in memes.
A memellionaire if you will.
>>
>>45885117
Only if you're doing it at work and aren't salaried.

Also yeah, I kind of agree it's a chore. It's why I tend to use generators.
>>
>>45885450
Or newer editions, really. 5E has a pretty quick build time.
>>
>>45885117
>2 hours

Yeah. If you've never played before, maybe. Once you don't have to look anything up besides equipment costs, it actually takes somewhere between ten minutes and half an hour depending on the edition. The only person I've ever met who charged by the half-hour did it for handjobs in my university's engineering building.
>>
>>45902712
>sticking ponies into the sunrise laugh
You disgusting losers just love sticking your deviant fetishes into everything don't you?
>>
>>45885117
Have you tried not playing 3.5.
>>
>>45904741
Doubt it's even that, at most a 3.5 character takes an hour to make.
>>
>>45885389
>low level martial characters can be finished in under a half-hour

Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Your longest time will be spent choosing feats, unless it's 5e then your longest single amount of time will be spent rolling stats.
>>
>>45886714
This is my favorite part of econ.
>>
>>45898665
Unless he's completely new, it's high level, he's playing a caster, and he's scouring all the source books for his spells and feats, there's no reason it should take two fucking hours.
>>
>>45885117
>5WPM Anon branches out from OotS threads
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.