[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why have you never played the best fantasy role playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: warhammer fantasy roleplay.jpg (260KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
warhammer fantasy roleplay.jpg
260KB, 1024x576px
Why have you never played the best fantasy role playing game ever made?
>>
>>45775077

Because nobody is running it and I don't have the cash to buy the core game nor the time to run it myself if I did have the cash.

So vanilla D&D for me twice a month.
>>
>>45775077
Because I can't find a GM for Dungeons the Dragoning 40k.
>>
I actually really like WHFRP 3rd edition. I own the core set and a couple of expansions, but unfortunately I do most of my RPing online, so I've not had many chances to play it. The IRL experiences I've had with it were great, though.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d100)

>>45775077
>Why have you never played the best fantasy role playing game ever made?
I already run Burning Wheel.
Also, rolling for something, DC 40.
>>
>>45775187
There are dice rollers for google hangouts.

Honestly, no one plays this because it's too damn expensive to get into. Most big games offer some sort of basic rulebook for cheap or free or a PDF alternative for substantially less. It doesn't help that they released two versions of the game during its life, making it confusing to find out what you even need to play.

Edge of the Empire succeeded from the mistakes made marketing WHFRP3e, though, and it's every-bit-as-good. Just not Fantasy, unfortunately.
>>
>>45775215

Yeah, but you also need the cards and the tracking components and stuff. They make running the game IRL work great, but you'd need to use Tabletop Simulator or something like it to actually make it work online.
>>
>>45775229
You don't really NEED that stuff, and the second set of books they released goes over how to play without them. I'm not saying you're wrong, they definitely make the game work great, but grogs have been writing down action descriptions on notebook paper since the dawn of RP.
>>
File: 1455810039745.png (64KB, 805x673px) Image search: [Google]
1455810039745.png
64KB, 805x673px
>>45775077
>3e

Hahahahaha, well memed, friend!

But seriously, no, 2e is the best WHFRP edition.
>>
>>45775246

Yeah, I try explaining that to people.

You can get the Core box set and it gives you every single thing a group of people need to play for a long ass time, although only for three players and a GM to really have a hand of every single thing possible.

However, you can easily grab the PHB for every single action and career available if you don't mind writing stuff down and referencing page numbers and such. So, just like a standard RPG in that regard.

The bits, bobs, and trackers are absolutely not necessary. The tracker is damn handy, but it is also just a DM tool than can be easily drawn with anything like loose change representing tracking tokens.

The bits and bobs make keeping up with everything a shit load easier for everyone with how the game plays and 3rd edition was actually set up with getting new plaayers into the game pretty easily.

>>45775297

While not bad, I have way more respect for FFG 3rd edition take on WHFRP because they actually tried something different and it worked well.
>>
>>45775898

Sadly, WHFRP 3rd and D&D 4e both taught us the same lesson- Innovative design and attempts to do new things are not appreciated. Nerds want the same game they're already playing, except slightly shinier.
>>
>>45775939

The difference is that D&D 4ed fucked up a lot more than it got right.

Class balance was great, but combat was too long, healing surges should not have existed, etc.

I can respect what they were trying to do, but it just faltered really.
>>
>>45776042

Monster math was fucked, but they did eventually fix it. But what's your issue with healing surges? My experience with the system is limited, but they make a lot of sense as a slowly depleted resource, from what I've seen. It stops an adventuring party being able to go on forever without making it overly punishing and having you be unable to go more than five minutes a day.
>>
>>45776058

My problem with healing surges is how you have a healing option available pretty much standard. That shouldn't exist. You have clerics, you have healing potions, and other objects available to keep the party moving forward, however, I am against people quasi-wolverineing shit.

This is especially evident with a GM who does not hand out rests.
>>
>>45776168

I guess that's just a difference in preference and the style of game. Personally I love healing surges, the ability for people to pull themselves together and keep going feels very appropriate for heroic fantasy.
>>
>>45775939
You know, you have to innovate in a way people actually enjoy for that to mean anything.

Well executed is better than original every time.
>>
>>45776168
It only seems wrong if you view hit points as actual meat points instead of an abstraction of how many bruises or minor cuts are affecting the character's ability to function.
Next you'll be saying you hate Die Hard for John McClane being able to grit his teeth and carry on despite taking a fuckton of cuts from glass, a bullet grazing his shoulder and literally being drenched in blood by the end
>>
>>45776168

>I am against people quasi-wolverineing shit.

Then you should have no problem with healing surges. HP is an abstraction.
>>
>>45776234
Then why is FFG Star Wars getting a bucketload of acclaim despite using largely the same approach as WFRP 3e?
>>
>>45776234
>Well executed is better than original every time
I teel that this is true in the same way that Machiavelli's "It's better to be feared than loved" is true. You want both because they are both good and not mutually exclusive, but if you can't get both then one of these things is straight up more valuable than the other.

>>45776246
Except McClane could easily be taken as exactly the face of HP-as-meat, since he takes damage to his meat all the freeking time and it doesn't go away but hey, as long as you have 1hp left you're not taking statistical penalties.
>>
>>45776253

I view HP as damage a character has sustained that must be treated in some way to be removed. Rest includes setting wounds, bandaging them, etc.
>>
>>45776476

That is directly contradicted in the description of it in literally every edition of D&D. You're objecting to something you made up entirely on your own.
>>
>>45775077
Because my first tabletop game ever was WFRP 1st ed and 3rd ed is shit.
>>
>>45776246

Bruises and minor cuts?

If McClane had to do that shit for weeks on end (like 4e adventurers can) he'd be a skely by the end of it. He took real meat damage.
>>
>>45776300

WHFRP 3e is a little more complex than SW. SW actually streamlined some of the gameplay mechanics quite a bit.

For example, you hit a creature with a crit in WH, you flip over a wound card (or roll a d100 and consult a chart if you are going without the bits and bobs) and you deal that extra damage to the creature.

With SW if it is a basic enemy a critical hit is just that, a critical hit and should result in a mooks immediate demise right off. bosses take an additional 10 points of damage.

Weapons do a set amount of damage +excess successes rolled in SW, in WH weapons do set damage, plus action results rolled, plus strength. and take that total.

Then subtract from that total the targets actual defense stat (one for physical one for mental) and then subtract their soak amount. So there are more steps involved.

SW, roll to hit, add your successes to the damage, then subtract the soak value. If I remember correctly, if a target has a defense value you must do at least that much damage to even break through the defense and anything in excess carries over to damage and you still subtract soak. So defense if more of a big deal in SW when you run into it but it is also way more rare.

On the whole though, they are very similar but SW is more narrative focused on the whole and WH is more crunchy, but on the whole both are more narrative focused than D&D and Pathfinder.

I like the Fantasy flavor better than SW, but they do handle quite a bit different.
>>
>>45775077
I really want to play it. But I'll be fucked to buy a 100 core book for a game I will never convince people to play.

I tried making an EotE conversion. Bit home brewing is just not the same.
>>
>>45776566
Dude... It's like you haven't even played eote. Critical hits are rolled on chart, and defense adds difficulty dice.
>>
2e is better.
>>
>>45779545

Thank you for your informative and useful addition to the discussion. It really helped keep the quality of this thread extremely high!
>>
>>45775077
Because /pfg/ keeps telling me pathfinder sucks.
>>
>>45779961

They're right. 3.PF is trash.
>>
>>45775077
My Uni society has a copy in our locker.
And to this day, despite having everything we'd need, nobody has ever played with it.

I wouldn't want to break that fine tradition.
>>
>>45775077
My friends don't want to try new things. I am forever tied to a life of DnD 3.5/5e and MtG. The way I convinced them to go with 5e was that it was 3.5 without the 2,550 splat books we had to lug around each session. Save me!
>>
>>45775187
This.
I have all supplies and no one wanna play, mainly because the last GM in the city did a mind-fuck-horrendous-game that everyone still remember. They prefer d20...
>>
>>45779622
>Because /pfg/ keeps telling me pathfinder sucks.

You mean the thread started with the claim that 3E is the best fantas RPG ever?
>>
>>45780073

Don't tell me you're playing D&D.

>>45780776

Suggest playing a Star Wars RPG.
>>
>>45781119
Oops, scratch the quote.
>>
>>45776168
>I am against people quasi-wolverineing shit.
For someone speaking about innovative design in games, you sure sound retarded.
Healing Surges are a hard limit on healing, not the other way around.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.