[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, convince me not to abandon 40k, I'm just so fed up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: 1450983420190.jpg (110KB, 500x463px) Image search: [Google]
1450983420190.jpg
110KB, 500x463px
Guys, convince me not to abandon 40k, I'm just so fed up with the writing with the recent wulfen insanity
>>
>>45475702
What happened in the new wulfen stuff?
>>
>>45475702
Motherfucking superhumans with power armor shooting explosions at demons and power punching through space dinosaur aliens praising literally a corpse on a big machine, bro.
>>
>>45475702
1. Play the RPGs
2. Ignore the new shit
3. ???
4. Profit
>>
>>45475785
The Bjornperor was pretty dumb desu senpai
>>
Did fenris really get blown up?
>>
>>45475702
Ignore it and just pay attention to the stuff you like. I think a lot of people are backing away from 40k right now, but it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
>>
>>45475814
I haven't read the new stuff, but Bjorn became emperor?
>>
File: med_gallery_79873_10492_267057.jpg (64KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
med_gallery_79873_10492_267057.jpg
64KB, 640x360px
>>45475896
He's doing what the Emperor is doing, on a much smaller scale.
>>
>>45475702
Enjoy the RPGs. They're all set around ~850.M41. Then lynch anyone who ever asks for the setting to move forward.
>>
continue playing 40k but be as vocal as you can about the good old times

and complain about things not moving forward
>>
>>45475702
http://strawpoll.me/6647375/r

Have you considered joining the 58% master race?
>>
Do you enjoy playing the game? Then play the game.

So you enjoy the model aspect of the hobby? Then paint some models. Doesn't have to be 40k.

Do you enjoy the fluff? Wish it was more suited to your tastes? Then play the RPGs.

You're allowed to take breaks too you know. It's a hobby. A pastime. If you aren't enjoying yourself then take a break.
>>
>>45475785
Nothing bad. People are over exaggerating. They get mad that the setting is stagnant and then when anything changes they freak out. Wulfen are now wolfier werewolf dudes and Bjorn does Emperor stuff. Who the fuck care.
>>
>>45476073
I'm more pissed at how stupid the imperium is, they gather up a badass force, one that could accomplish something major and worthwhile in the galaxy (like say, squatting the Tau), and they use it it to wage war on a powerfule, loyal first founding legion strength chapter, is the imperium actually suicidal?
>>
File: 1418067109539.png (193KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1418067109539.png
193KB, 600x600px
>>45475702
consider everything past 4th edition to be but the result of an interesting campaign by distant anons.
keep what you like, treat as non-canon, as one of the possibilities or a simple "what if" what you don't, file the imperfections, fill your small points of views, convert, play and thinker around the mix of both childlike and grimdark concepts of this potentially awesome setting.

Remember the joys of the first explorations of 40k, what was that drew you in?
>>
>>45476011
>132 votes

no.
>>
>>45476073
>They get mad that the setting is stagnant
Only newfags and idiots get mad at that, people with a bit of mind know that it is a setting and should not be treated as a story or it all falls down in a bad manner.
>>
>>45476174
It's almost like the Imperium isn't some monolithic hivemind that operates with one purpose but instead a disparate collection of individuals and organizations who will always put politics and personal beliefs over the good of the Imperium...hmm...
>>
>>45475702
CotW wasn't all that terrible. The writing style was kind of juvenile, but the content was alright. Every faction involved got a fair shake, no one was over the top stupid, the mistakes made were reasonable or at least sensible ones. Even the Bjornperor thing is a semi-reasonable extension of how the Warp and Venerable Dreadnoughts work. Maybe I'm comparing it to that puerile shitshow Mont'ka instead of actual good writing, but I wasn't disatisfied with it.

>>45475791
This is a compelling argument for anyone with something to like in 40k.
>>
>>45475702
I honestly can't give you a reason to stay with modern 40k.
>>
>>45476011
>it's 59% now
Everytime the poll is posted the percentage goes up
>>
Okay, I'll give this a shot

>the models and books are going to keep getting more and more expensive for no reason.
>your opponents will get younger, and more annoying. Until one day you will realize that this tournament is just grimdark daycare.
>the rule changes in each edition will start making less, and less sense, until one day GW releases a new set where points don't matter, and you are playing via the honor system.

Isn't that great? Less money weighing down your pocket. That outdated tank you can't give away is going to get thrown at you by a spoiled ten year old. Finally you will develop your anger management skills while attempting to negotiate said fight with the same ten year old that gave you a concussion the previous week. Isn't that great?
>>
>>45476294
Yes, but the fact that Azrael could, on his own authority, steer a Crusade against a First Founding Chapter that utterly dwarfs what the personally offended High Lords sent with to deal with a external threat to the Imperium is straining credulity. I mean, I get they're arrogant xenophobes that fear corrupted marines above all else, but this was taking it to a whole new level.
>>
>>45476394
I'm gonna go with this guy. Abandon ship while you still can, it's only gonna get worse.
>>
>>45476423
I blame Tau plot armor
>>
My theory, humanity collectively knows on a subconscious level that they are bad for the galaxy, and are slowly contrivance to wipe themselves out, against their own consious judgment
>>
>>45476394
>your opponents will get younger, and more annoying
That particular point is just part of getting older, really. I do remember the grogs of yesteryear complaining about all the kids getting into the game with third edition, and although I wasn't around for it I'd be willing to bet the elder grogs of rogue trader weren't too happy about the bright and kid-friendly second edition.
>>
>>45476656
Yeah... this happens at FNM, at the gym, and one day at work they're going to higher another junior developer who's enthusiastically annoying.
>>
>>45475913
How is this bad?
Interesting character development and makes sense that such an ancient being would have gained some sort of ascension in that time.
It's an interesting concept and it's not too massive.

It isn't like draigo levels of bullshit, just that he's fighting back daemons. Not saying he's taking on the great daemons.
>>
>>45475913
>"HEAR THIS, KROM DRAGONGAZE: ONLY TINY PORTIONS OF US CAN HEED YOU, OTHERWISE WE NEGLECT THE FANG, OF WHICH OUR SCRUTINY MUST NOT FALTER FOR AN INSTANT..."
>>
>>45476285
Oldfag here. 40k as a setting became stagnant and predictable long ago. Bring on the end times!
>>
File: Eh.gif (7MB, 500x337px) Image search: [Google]
Eh.gif
7MB, 500x337px
>>45475913
What? I am so confused by this. Like, it's not like Bjorn needed anything done to him, I don't really like the Wolves, but I thought he was a pretty cool guy. Why did they need to change his fluff so he's doing this. I don't....What?
>>
>>45476968
>Bring on the end times!
>Wanting to be the next Warhammer Fantasy
Shiggity diggity doo, where are you.
>>
>>45475702
Go play Horus Heresy, it solves alot of 40k's problems , unless your a xeno player... then it sucks to suck.
>>
>>45477039
Right, Space Marines 24/7. How fun and varied.
Not to mention the godawful FW prices.
>>
>>45477063
>He doesn't know about Solar Auxilia
>He doesn't know about Mechanicum
>He doesn't know about Militia/Warp Cults
>>
>>45477138
Have fun getting games with AdMech, and Guardsmen/Fancier Guardsmen are pretty meh.
>>
>>45476656
The level of parenting has been getting worse, as has the behavior of the kids. They always get super defensive when you point out their little rugrats are putting themselves or someone else in harms way.

A older friend of mine at a tournament did have a preteen throw a metal hive tyrant at his face.
>>
>>45477063
>How fun and varied.
There is more difference between any 2 legions than between orks and nids.
The only thing that is the same is basic selections and basic gear.
Also >>45477138.
Learn about a game before you speak about it next time.
>>
>>45477190
>There is more difference between any 2 legions than between orks and nids
Legions are different, but don't kid yourself. It's more like the difference between BA/DA/SW/Vanilla Marines in 40k.
>>
>>45477017
At least the end times got interesting. Warhammer fantasy, like 40k is now, got old and stale. End times piqued my interest and made the setting into something exciting.

I want this to happen to 40k. I want to see where it goes when the clock finally strikes midnight. It seems exciting to me.
>>
>>45475835
No
At most one planet invented just for this and a company of wolves will die
Then they find Mary Suebaddon was behind it and Logan goes to lead the defense at Cadia with the homo marines taking the rock as well in penance
>>
>>45477147
Maybe if you weren't a faggot running max castellax, people would play you.
>>
>>45477218
>It's more like the difference between BA/DA/SW/Vanilla Marines
You mean the same units with different names and a handful of uniuque units and toys COMBINED?
Coils of the Hydra alone blow your argument away.
>>
>>45476336
It ties in to the end of prospero burns where Kaspar is in the stasis dream
Heck stasis is effectively a warp thing
Shame they'll never mention Kaspar in the tabletop fluff
>>
>>45477176
Why are the parents getting so much wrose?
>>
>>45477275
And then the setting ended and age of sigmar was an inferior successor
>>
>>45477933
I don't know much about parenting, but I can offer some uninformed speculation. It seems to me that many parents today subscribe to the idea that children need to feel good about themselves all the time regardless of whether or not it's earned. See participation awards, scoreless kid sports, anything involving the phrase "self-esteem." Thus, they never learn how to cope with disappointment or value learning from their mistakes. They then grow up to be self-obsessed (wo)manchildren who throw tantrums when they don't get their way because everyone put so much effort into making sure that they always did when they were younger. I can go on, but it just turns into a cane-shaking rant about the decline of society around this point.
>>
>>45476336
Put it in 1d4chan!
>>
>>45477952
At least the setting progressed. That's what drives me nuts about 40k and old fantasy, it never progressed. I want progression. I don't care if the setting as we know it ends, as long as shit be happening.
>>
HH/30k is better
>>
>>45475913
That sounds pretty badass and doesn't change much in the end. I'm okay with this.
>>
>>45478923
Sounds like you're asking for a lynching.
>>
File: Mabh4h.gif (1MB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
Mabh4h.gif
1MB, 360x203px
>>45476893
kek
>>
>>45476285
So true the story line wasn't ever really meant to evolve; everything that happened was meant to have already have happened in the 10k better enthronement and the reader reading the materials.

We have a campaign! Yeah doesn't really matter the outcome as this was set 3000 years ago in m38.
>>
>>45479114
This applies to everything happening in M41 as well that encompasses less than an entire sector in scale.
>>
>>45476968
As previously suggested, only newfags and idiots.
>>
>>45475702
Wait, oh god, what'd they write for the wulfen, I just don't want the last dregs of space wolf love from editions gone by I still have taken. But I must know
>>
>>45475702
You should abandon 40k because deep down you know you should have abandoned it 10 years ago if the shit writing bugs you.
>>
File: 1416342244692.png (64KB, 617x402px) Image search: [Google]
1416342244692.png
64KB, 617x402px
>both 40k and whfb fall apart right as I develop an interest for them
>>
>>45477338
>You mean the same units with different names and a handful of uniuque units and toys COMBINED?

That is literally what 30k is.
>>
>>45481599
The goalsystem has some pretty sweet science fiction and fantasy rule books.
>>
>>45476845

Draigo isn't even bullshit and is mostly overblown by people who don't realize that even regular humans have survived in the Warp before and that Draigo's quests could be argued to be ultimately futile due to the ever changing nature of the Warp and the seemingly limitless number of daemons.

>>45476285

It's a setting not a story is one of the stupidest fucking arguments around because it makes the assumption that a setting must always be stagnant and can never evolve.

I doubt even some of the original designers for 40k would agree. Priestly in fact is advocating how Gates of Antares will evolve based on player participation.

40k's setting has only remained stagnant because it's the safe choice and because there is so much history and so much space that you can delve into the past and ultimately have it still lead to the future and examine events that are either miniscule in the grand scheme of things or plants the seeds for future things that could happen but aren't guaranteed to.

>>45481670

HH at least has Rites of War which allows you to use the same parts to construct an army in various ways that doesn't involve stupid shit like "If you take X then you can take ONE WHOLE UNIT OF Y as troops." or have the possible balance problems/doesn't trigger people like multiple detachments from the same codex do.
>>
File: ThisSucks.jpg (79KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
ThisSucks.jpg
79KB, 250x250px
>>45475702
>guys
>guys
>i let strangers on the internet do my thinking for me

Literally kill yourself.
>>
>>45477063
>getting into 40k and not liking space marines

Just abandon it already. You were stupid for ever getting into it. Space marines are like the Jedi or troopers of Star Wars: fucking everywhere.
>>
>>45484711
He never said he didn't like Space Marines tho.
>>
>>45475702
You might as well goes up. 40k is going the way of AoS.
>>
>>45485465
That would get me back into 40k, as it did with fantasy
>>
WHY THE FUCK DO PEOPLE THINK "CURSE OF THE WULFEN" ADVANCED THE STORYLINE?

Sorry for the caps butt he stupidity is astounding. The "Curse of the Wulfen" happens before the 13th Black Crusade. You know what that means? It means the Wolves will survive and they will hold no grudges over what happened. How do i know this? Because 5th, 6th, and 7th ED lore (including the 7th ED Wolf codex) tell us what the Wolves are up to and doing at the end of the timeline where the 13th Black Crusade is launched.

The entire Wolves chapter go to Cadia and Logan is elected the supreme commander of the Defenders of Cadia. The Dark Angels are also with them there and under their command. Ragnar Blackmane even high fives his Dark Angels pals there while fighting against the Black Legion.

So what do we get from this? "Cure of the Wulfen" is just a filler campiegn with a forgone conclusion. It did not advance the plot in anyway. It's a fun distraction and serves to fill the holes in the timeline like the Shield of Baal event and Damnos. Also you guys know nothing of the lore, you newfags.

As for Bjorn? I don't see how him developing powers is somehow lorebreaking. The 6th ED CSM codex says that ancient weapons can develop sentience and powers thanks to all the destructioin and bloodshed they cause over the years. If an old chainsword can develop a powerful reflection in the Warp and sentience, then an ancient warrior who fought across countless battlefields for 10K years be granted the same powers.
>>
Drop 40k for Bolt Action or X-Wing like everyone else at your shop.
>>
>>45485852
They're not to blame man, after the fantasy end of times many of them are still cautious of any sign of the EoT for 40k.
>>
>>45485957
>playing historical games
They are more autists than 40k players.
>>
>>45486947
I do blame them. They are spreading panic when there is no reason for panic. Anyone with the smallest understanding of the fluff would see "Curse of Wulfen" for what it is.

Story/timeline filler + An excuse to push new models.
>>
File: BLAM!.jpg (158KB, 700x662px) Image search: [Google]
BLAM!.jpg
158KB, 700x662px
>>45478923
>>45477275
>>45476968
Implying anyone would fall for this bait
>>
>>45476174
>legion strength
High level chortling
The LARGEST great company has ~200 marines in it. There are 13 of these, each smaller than that one
>>
>>45477190
>There is more difference between any 2 legions than between orks and nids.
Oh wow, retards like you actually exist
>>
>>45488776
That is still almost 5x the size of the tau purging "crusade"
>>
>>45487030
In my experience, most of them are retired, or near retirement age. I don't see anyone under fifty playing historical games.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.