[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>System pet peeves. What annoys the fuck out of you when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 26

File: Pet_Peeve_large.png (82KB, 480x323px) Image search: [Google]
Pet_Peeve_large.png
82KB, 480x323px
>System pet peeves.

What annoys the fuck out of you when looking into a new system? What specific thing makes it hard for you to even get into it or consider running/playing it, despite the fact that the system might otherwise look good?

I guess I'll start with
>Complex system with lots of stats and a big score range
>No NPC stats, not even a basic outline of what different levels of statistics means

Like, how the fuck am I supposed to make a campaign if I have no idea what is actually a competent warrior/craftsman/NPC of any kind? Give me NPC stats or at least some guidelines, or otherwise it'll be really goddamn hard for me to make any NPCs either. Or make a PC and actually know how good he is at anything.
>>
File: 1426907228038.jpg (45KB, 512x397px) Image search: [Google]
1426907228038.jpg
45KB, 512x397px
>>44529267
> If X thing happens, please roll on this table!
>table is in a completely different section of the book, hidden in a bunch of tables
>X thing happens every single combat
>Even better, there are multiple tables to roll on when X thing happens
>>
>No index

Fuck right off.
>>
>Immersion
>Verisimilitude

MOTHERFUCKER it doesn't work like that they're not things you can hard build into a system jesus tapdancing fuck christ
>>
File: the_anatomy_of_a_spider_16139.jpg (32KB, 460x332px) Image search: [Google]
the_anatomy_of_a_spider_16139.jpg
32KB, 460x332px
>So my hero is a clone, but not like the millions of others, she is special. she is the prime!
>>
>>44529267
>That old method of roleplaying is old and lame
>OUR NEW METHOD of roleplaying is superior and new and so much better

>Luck/fate/metagaming points
>>
>>44529376
WUT?
>>
It's gotten to the point that if a system promises "Detailed, immersive rules, but in an easy-to-use innovative system that keeps the game fast and simple!" or some similar bullshit, I just put it back on the shelf.

I've seen that enough times to know where this is going. It's gonna be neither of those point.
>>
>>44529488
A lot of newer systems (read: stupid indie garbage) advertise their rule sets as "promoting verisimilitude" or "encouraging immersion" or some other braindead shit like that. What most game designers (read: stupid hipsters) don't realize is that both of those things happen on their own, regardless of rules. They're a responsibility of the players, not the system.

Plus, any book using those two terms regularly are usually just trash, plain and simple.
>>
>>44529453
all that truth
>>
File: 1439553979518.jpg (213KB, 720x525px) Image search: [Google]
1439553979518.jpg
213KB, 720x525px
>Certain skills or classes are useless mechanically
>>
>>44529351
Who the fuck does this?
>>
Anything in the game that affects number of actions.

The core game is balanced around the idea that everyone does x amount of things each turn. Don't fuck it up.
>>
>>44529724
That's not really a pet peeve, it's pure failure. There's never a good reason for trap options because if you WANT to suck you can always choose to.

My own pet peeve: the way NWoD handles defense. When you attack, you ask for the target's defense and subtract it from your pool. In most games you're not supposed to know enemy stats at all, and even after playing for years I forget to ask for defense sometimes.
>>
Any time a table (or other chance-based outcome) has some extremely rare horrendously detrimental or game-breakingly beneficial outcome on. Something aong the lines of a 1% chance you'll gain five levels and more money than the king, or a 1% chance that you immediately die and your consciousness is trapped in a magical scry-proof gem at a random spot in the multiverse and you get to exist like that forever.

Y'know what I think I just hate the Deck of Many Things.
>>
>>44530502
Off the top of my head, Aberrant had the table of contents roughly in the middle of the book, after over 100 pages of literally just fluff and backstory.
>>
>>44529321
Savage Worlds Deluxe's abstract chase rules do exactly this, and in the most fucking obtuse way possible. It's infuriating.
>Quote from page 82: "Movement distance is abstract."
>Quote from page 83: "If a character driving or piloting a vehicle is Shaken, he must make an Out of Control roll (see page 100)."

What's the Out of Control roll? You roll on a table. Meant for the non-abstract vehicle rules, no less.
>Skid: Move the vehicle 1d4" left or right.
IF DISTANCE IS ABSTRACT WHAT THE FUCKING DICK ALL DOES THIS MEAN
>>
>>44529453
While I hate it when systems compare themselves to other systems,, since it makes me think that the designers are trying to fix something instead of designing a set with its own clear purpose, I fucking love luck point shit.

I don't want to play games trying to simulate some world like reality, I play games to participate in a story, and the idea of these metagame mechanics at least gives a lot of leeway in shaping a scene without boggling the game down.
>>
File: agent coulson.jpg (16KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
agent coulson.jpg
16KB, 615x461px
>>44529267
>Games with 349+ skills
>Games with magick and dark magicks
>Games that use "she" as the personal pronoun in the manual when everyone knows damn well that 90% of roleplayers are male, who the fuck are you kidding anyway
>>
Pointless detail.

Random character generation.

A lack of a useful reroll mechanic.
>>
File: image.png (32KB, 462x239px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
32KB, 462x239px
>>44534744
For what's it's worth Mutant year zero used female pronouns when referring to the GM and male pronounce the players
>>
>>44540316
Sounds like a fetish game for virgin weebs.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 332x443px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 332x443px
>>44540343
You say that like it's a bad thing
>>
>>44529267
Stat stick magic items

>>44539200
>reroll mechanic.
>good
>>
>>44529267
Whenever the RPG forces characters down into certain paths or builds if you want to keep them competitive. Fuck all that 'system mastery' bullshit.
>>
>>44540490
this
>>
>>44529418
>fraternal twins of the presumably young adult age that most RPG chars are have to be mostly alike in non superficial ways

What the serious FUCK am I reading?
>>
>>44530683
You have hordes of professional devs, decades of game design and thousands of players that disagree with you, keep that in mind. White Wolf studios disagrees with you in general.
>>
>>44533738
How to avoid that:
Don't fucking use it
Don't fucking use it
Don't. Fucking. Use. It
>>
>>44534744
The hell is wrong with different kinds of magic, one of which is perverse or dangerous?
>>
>>44540839
I'm not that anon, but it's usually lazily done. Trite dualism is fucking boring and usually it's just done so that there's a special badguy-only kind of magic that players shouldn't use because it's dangerous or makes you crazy or whatever.

>>44529598
I guarantee you that I'm into games that are more hipster than the ones you're talking about, and I've never seen anybody in those circles say that kind of stupid shit.

You find that sort of stupid shit among people who play D&D and then decide that they're going to create the Next Best Thing.

Anyways, my pet peeve is "immersion" in general. People always whine about "breaking immersion" or how these rules "aren't immersive" or whatever. They're unique in that they're the only segment that assumes that literally everybody wants to play the same way they do while simultaneously not being able to define what "immersion" is. It's just a fancier way for them to say "good" and pass their opinions off as objective criticism / praise, and it drives me fucking nuts.
>>
>>44542715
>there's a special badguy-only kind of magic that players shouldn't use because it's dangerous or makes you crazy or whatever.

So? that is fine. Hell in some settings ALL magic is like that and its generally bad news.
>>
>>44530683
I would say that the solution to that is just having the storyteller do the reduction instead cause that seems like what would be logical...but then I remember it's a fucking dice pool game and if that was the case he could just pick the die that don't succeed if he wanted to be a tool.
>>
>>44534744
I don't think you needed to be that subtle in saying "I fucking hate Pathfinder".
>>
>>44540423
and suddenly I am reminded this thing exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La0SOaU_bzE
>>
>>44529351
Similarly, shitty indexes. Catalyst, I'm looking at you; the modern Shadowrun books are a fucking disgrace of organization.

Also, it's 2016, learn how to code a PDF so that things hyperlink.
>>
File: Power Hug.jpg (424KB, 965x714px) Image search: [Google]
Power Hug.jpg
424KB, 965x714px
>>44529527
I feel you, anon. It's like people don't realise how those are opposed goals.
>>
>>44529321
>Psykers in 40K

Okay roll Phenomena. Whoops, that's Perils now. Whoops you've pushed two party members over another insanity threshold. Whoops now they both need to roll on the Fear table.
>>
>>44533738
I like the Deck of Many Things, because it (usually) only fucks up you, so your character can choose whether or not to draw.

I'd put the old random monster tables on that same problem, though; if I ever wanted the party to fight 144 guys, I'd just grab their character sheets and throw them directly in the trash, it's faster.
>>
File: Cockeyed.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Cockeyed.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>44539200
>Random character generation.
>bad

For a lot of games, random generation is bad because you're supposed to be a unique hero. For a game where you play a dirt farmer, it's fine, and in fact better.
>>
File: System Mastery.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
System Mastery.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>44540490
>Fuck all that 'system mastery' bullshit

Boy, do I have a podcast for you.
>>
>>44542715
>usually it's just done so that there's a special badguy-only kind of magic that players shouldn't use because it's dangerous or makes you crazy or whatever.

Honestly, I like that so that the DM can do whatever kind of magic shenanigans he wants without the players taking and abusing it. Sometimes I just want the ability to summon a bunch of skeletons or open an extradimensional rift or something else fun and setpiece-like without having to worry about my players trying to do the same thing.
>>
>>44543341
>Implying that the 40k games aren't ridiculously broken regarding psykers, who will almost never cause any real problems to the party compared with how often their OP abilities save the day
>>
>>44529598
rules can affect immersion though.
>>
>>44543530
Unless you're playing Don't Look Back, the mechanics of the system almost never get in the way of immersion. Not everything can be Dread, but so many indie devs want to be that they forget to actually make the mechanics work. You get more immersion out of the damn d20 system (where you roll once, compare 2 numbers, and go) than you do out of the 'immersive' systems some of these idiots crap out.
>>
>badass in the fluff, model looks cool, mechanically trash or overpriced
>an ability or item's full stats are in two different locations in the book.
>race-as-class
>character advancement thats supposed to take a lot of in-game time devoted to it
>not having NPCs statted nor noting what the expected range of abilities for various tiers of character
> hard coded morality system that affects/is affected by morally neutral things
>rat-slayer power level starting characters

more of a meta pet peeve but

>people/works harkening back to The 80's as some kind of Golden Age we have fallen from
>>
File: not rustled.gif (995KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
not rustled.gif
995KB, 500x281px
>Certain skills or classes are useless mechanically
>When there are certain traits that are objectively worse than others
>Race-as-class
>Roll for stats is recommended
>Exploding dice results
>Roll to confirm the critical
>Some weapons are objectively better than others and have no real counter to them
>>
File: Be Like Rath.jpg (346KB, 1260x993px) Image search: [Google]
Be Like Rath.jpg
346KB, 1260x993px
>>44543911
>>Roll for stats is recommended

Don't be a bitch.
>>
>>44543924
>>44543911
Actually, let me rephrase that
>Roll for stats is recommended and there are certain traits you can't get because your stat is not high enough
>>
>>44543941
Them's the breaks. So long as you can be something in the system, it's fine if you can't have a 3 INT wizard.
>>
>>44543968
Let's take the abomination that is DH for a moment. Let's say I have a character who's got a great fellowship score and a decent int score (34): he won't be able to get "Keen intuition" because he's one point int short and I have to spend more xp to get more int to be eligible to have KI.

I strongly dislike that.
>>
>>44543911
Roll for stats works for some systems(like paranoia) and confirming criticals is a neat way of making sure that x% of successful attacks are crits.
>>
>>44534744
I think its fine when it switches up pronouns for various characters.

Except when they do it for the paladin. What sort of self-respecting woman goes around rescuing princesses towers AND mercilessly purges evil?
>>
>>44542715

>Anyways, my pet peeve is "immersion" in general. People always whine about "breaking immersion" or how these rules "aren't immersive" or whatever. They're unique in that they're the only segment that assumes that literally everybody wants to play the same way they do while simultaneously not being able to define what "immersion" is. It's just a fancier way for them to say "good" and pass their opinions off as objective criticism / praise, and it drives me fucking nuts.

This
>>
>>44544058
>Roll for stats works for some systems(like paranoia)
They might, but I am in no hurry to try them out in any way shape or form.

>confirming criticals is a neat way of making sure that x% of successful attacks are crits.
I find that 5% is already a pretty low chance of getting a critical. If you like an even lower chance, that's on you.
>>
>>44543911
>Exploding dice results

Why do you hate fun?
>>
File: 1568574954.gif (27KB, 158x132px) Image search: [Google]
1568574954.gif
27KB, 158x132px
>>44544175
>>
>>44540462
>reroll mechanic
>bad

A built-in muligan mechanic reduces cheating and enhances player agency.
>>
>>44544316
Free form roleplaying completely eliminates cheating and maximizes player agency.

The ENTIRE point of rules is to limit player agency.
>>
>>44543924
AD&D is the worst example to bring up, since ability scores are not only random, but also in a system where a high score is incredibly important. Random scores was only acceptable in OD&D, where they had almost no effect.
>>
>>44544388
Actually the entire point of rules is provide neutral mediation and the tension of success or failure. Which a reroll mechanic doesn't get in the way of it, since it's still a scarce resource.

Freeform roleplaying destroys player agency by making player success or failure an entire matter of GM whim.

Try again.
>>
File: 1366837825800.jpg (23KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1366837825800.jpg
23KB, 337x367px
>>44544422
You could also describe the entire point of rules as forcing players to conform to a ostensibly realistic or at least intuitive arbitration based on chance in order to prevent them from completely unfettered "I shot you" "you didn't, you missed'

The entire philosophy of a reroll is that players should be able to do exactly that. It's a mechanically enforced "you didn't, you missed'. Basically it's fucking stupid, and your opinions are bad.
>>
>>44544655
>You could also describe the entire point of rules as forcing players to conform to a ostensibly realistic or at least intuitive arbitration based on chance in order to prevent them from completely unfettered "I shot you" "you didn't, you missed'

Neutral mediation. That's exactly what I said. This is not a limitation of player agency, as agency requires consequence to ones actions. Moron.

>Basically it's fucking stupid, and your opinions are bad.

But your wrong, literally every one of your arguments is without substance. A reroll mechanic is no different from a hitpoint mechanic (of which just about every game has some variation of), which basically boils down to "I'm not dead, I still have points left."

Your opinions actively hold gaming back.
>>
File: wtf did I just read.gif (485KB, 193x135px) Image search: [Google]
wtf did I just read.gif
485KB, 193x135px
>>44544655
>>
>>44543594
This is FFG Star Wars dice in a nut shell
>>
>>44544655
>Rules are there to abstract events
>But luck or destiny cannot be abstracted
I'm glad you are the kind of GM that thinks players should just be more NPCs for you to play with.
>>
>>44540730
System mastery is a fucking terrible design philosophy, fuck those people who think differently. Assuming that's tr part of the post you were addressing, of course.
>>
>>44543594
All you need to do with rules is keep them from getting in the way of playing. For rules to be immersive, they have to be quick to resolve and functional. I think we're saying the same thing, just in different ways.
>>
File: 1446607122894.jpg (158KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
1446607122894.jpg
158KB, 1024x904px
>>44544755
You said it and failed to understand it's implications. Agency is the degree to which one's actions can affect the world. In a freeform roleplay, all players have total omnipotence only limited by other players contradicting them. In a typical rpg agency is limited by neutral arbitration that necessarily dictates what is possible, what occurs, and what doesn't outside of the realm of player intention. A reroll mechanic is essentially a subversion of this neutral arbitration in order to prevent player characters from failing. It removes the consequences for ones actions you purport to desire if things don't go well.

A hit-point mechanic is in no way comparable to a reroll in terms of subversion of neutral arbitration of events. It is an abstraction of reality, not a way for players to directly alter the abstracted reality when things don't shake out how they hoped.

>>44544913
I'm actually the kind of gm that thinks players should exist in a world where risk exists and actions have consequences that don't bounce off the players mechanically enforced plot armor.
>>
>>44545301
>In a freeform roleplay, all players have total omnipotence only limited by other players contradicting them.

But their not. Their actions are still mediated through the GM, who in this case hasn't even the tacit agreement to abide by the rules of the game. There is no agency in this scenario. You're intentionally distorting the concept of agency. Agency is entirely a matter of having freedom to act, and the knowledge that your actions have consequences, for good or ill. This is not hampered by neutral mediation, it requires it.

>A reroll mechanic is essentially a subversion of this neutral arbitration in order to prevent player characters from failing.

But it's not, even in the slightest sense of the word. It's a limited, scarce resource that's agreed to at the outset of the game. Failure is still possible, because you still have a resource to manage and a reroll mechanic doesn't guarantee success, you know this.

>A hit-point mechanic is in no way comparable to a reroll in terms of subversion of neutral arbitration of events.

Except it is. You get hit with a weapon that should kill your character and spend points to stave this off.

>It is an abstraction of reality, not a way for players to directly alter the abstracted reality when things don't shake out how they hoped.

No it's not. Hitpoints aren't in the slightest realistic, not even in the most abstract sense of the term. They're literally just a scarce resource that protects players from consequence.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>44545301
How exactly are reroll mechanics not neutral if every player has access to the same limited number of rerolls?
>>
>>44529321
just print out the shit you use all the time on a cheat sheet
>>
File: 1363770249781.jpg (14KB, 177x278px) Image search: [Google]
1363770249781.jpg
14KB, 177x278px
>>44545387
>But their not. Their actions are still mediated through the GM, who in this case hasn't even the tacit agreement to abide by the rules of the game. There is no agency in this scenario. You're intentionally distorting the concept of agency. Agency is entirely a matter of having freedom to act, and the knowledge that your actions have consequences, for good or ill. This is not hampered by neutral mediation, it requires it.

Traditional freeform roleplaying, forum posting and the like, has no GM to arbitrate. And even still the same still applies to the purpose of rules and why fudging dice rolls to protect players is silly.

>But it's not, even in the slightest sense of the word. It's a limited, scarce resource that's agreed to at the outset of the game. Failure is still possible, because you still have a resource to manage and a reroll mechanic doesn't guarantee success, you know this.

Being limited doesn't change the intent, simply to the degree to which it influences the game.

>Except it is. You get hit with a weapon that should kill your character and spend points to stave this off.

Hit points are an abstraction of your physical health. Losing hit points represents a physical wound, or loss of an ability to protect yourself. It is not a player controlled ability to alter the narrative for no other reason than plot armor.

>No it's not. Hitpoints aren't in the slightest realistic, not even in the most abstract sense of the term. They're literally just a scarce resource that protects players from consequence.

They are not a resource that prevents consequence. They are a resource that measures consequence. A strike from a weapon that deals x/2 to a player with x health is not a strike that should have, narratively, slain him, but lo by the grace of hitpoints he is saved. It is a strike that significantly wounds him, narratively, and as abstracted by the hitpoints system as such.

>You're an idiot.

I'd argue that you are.
>>
>>44545407
Neutral and equal are different things.

Neutral would be a world upon which the players can act and the rules of the game simulate a world reacting and the odds of events going one way or another without blades magically turning aside when a player realizes that now is the time to summon his plot armor.
>>
>>44543911
>Race-as-class
Good for systems where you want to emphasize a sense of otherness in these races.
>>
>>44545618
>And even still the same still applies to the purpose of rules and why fudging dice rolls to protect players is silly.

No, it doesn't. This is an example of how you're an idiot. The GM isn't deciding on a whim here. The player is spending a scarce resource.

>Being limited doesn't change the intent, simply to the degree to which it influences the game.

To codify the system of muligans that are present in every game and provide a neutral means for players to alter outcomes that isn't begging the GM?

>Hit points are an abstraction of your physical health.

Also fighting spirit, luck, fate, and outright plot armour. They're no different.

>Losing hit points represents a physical wound, or loss of an ability to protect yourself.

You seriously think hitpoints are meat points? Again with the proving yourself to be an idiot.

>It is not a player controlled ability to alter the narrative for no other reason than plot armor.

Except it is. At any point the player could choose not to spend them and say their character dies and their entire purpose is literally plot armour, to ensure that players can put their characters through dangerous situations that would kill an ordinary person.

>They are not a resource that prevents consequence.

Yes, they are. They prevent you from dying from things that should kill. That is their entire fucking purpose.

>They are a resource that measures consequence. A strike from a weapon that deals x/2 to a player with x health is not a strike that should have, narratively, slain him, but lo by the grace of hitpoints he is saved.

Unless you're using Phoenix Command's system of "track what organs are damaged" that's exactly what it is.

>It is a strike that significantly wounds him, narratively, and as abstracted by the hitpoints system as such.

Not necessarily. It can represent the simple whims of luck, this is part of the the entire concept.

>I'd argue that you are.

You can try, but you'll fail.
>>
>>44544913
Luck and destiny are abstracted by not rerolling things.

The luck bit is the rolling of the dice in the first place and destiny is supposed to be a preordained reality you can not change and it totally removed form your intent. That's perfectly represented by impartial dice.
>>
>>44545690
HP is plot armor though. That's literally its abstraction.
>>
>>44545884
Depends on the system.
>>
>>44545815
Any attempt to prove you are idiot would pale in comparison to just reading your post.

>neutral means for players to alter outcomes
>neutral: not helping or supporting either side in a conflict.

>You seriously think hitpoints are meat points? Again with the proving yourself to be an idiot.
>or loss of an ability to protect yourself.

>to ensure that players can put their characters through dangerous situations that would kill an ordinary person.

Almost all systems with hitpoints have hitpoints for all characters, including the ordinary people.

You're self evidently retarded.
>>
>>44545884
Hp is stamina, poise, or blood loss depending.

Orc mooks have hp too, often more than a weakling wizard player character. Orc mooks practically have "I'm supposed to die" written on their forehead.
>>
>>44529267
>>Complex system with lots of stats and a big score range
>>No NPC stats, not even a basic outline of what different levels of statistics means

This is a major problem with GURPS.

Another is disorganization. If you're not an experienced DM, then many important game rules are buried in the details of character creation. Like, the wounding types are listed under Advantages/Innate Attack. WTF? Old editions of D&D were like this, too.

White Wolf and FFG games piss me off because they use shitty fonts and text colors that are cool rather than readable.

By far my biggest pet peeve is "See Page XX" and typos which I still see far too often.
>>
>>44545981
As you level up in most systems, you gain far more HP than you started with.

Look at DnD 5e, by far the most prevalent modern system.

A wizard starts with less than 20 HP. As they go on through the story, and therefore their importance to the plot increases, they get far more HP. Far more than any mortal could gain through vigorous exercise and bodily improvement, at least relative to what they started off with.

HP growth scales with importance to the plot.
>>
>>44546039
1hp = 1 gallon of blood. Your average mid-level fighter has more blood than the Overlook Hotel in winter.
>>
>>44546039
As they improve in skill their ability to maintain their poise in combat improves.

If I was punched in the face by a boxer I'd go down immediately. If I trained for years I could probably take it and several more.
>>
>>44545387
>They're literally just a scarce resource that protects players from consequence.

In a poorly designed system maybe.
>>
>>44546039

This is the beauty and flaw of D&D to be that heavily abstracted.

A PC will have a lot of Hp because he's an experienced badass, and a dragon will have a lot because it's 50 meters long. Instead of having different rules to simulate that, they just have more hp, same with AC meaning you're heavily armored or very small/fast, a fey or a rhinoceros will both have a good AC.

It becomes a flaw only when the situation becomes silly, like a PC jumping from a tower because the player knows he'll probably survives, or his ability to fight against a small army of peasants. I guess you could argue that a high level PC is the Bellerophon/Lancelot of his world.

It always surprises me how deadly the game is, despite the Hp system.
A lot of monsters have abilities which bypass the Hp system to instantly disintegrate/paralyze/poison the poor PC.
>>
>>44546305
I find that it becomes a flaw the more heavily detailed the system is. When you keep it abstract, the abstract parts work better.

I mean, when it's abstract enough, you can just say that a fighter falling from a tower and shrugging it off is grasping at the wall, hitting things as he falls, breaking his fall like that to soften the impact. When it's abstract enough, fighting a horde of peasants becomes a running battle where you're throwing people around in front of each other, finding bottlenecks and otherwise doing all sorts of cinematic things.

Basically, HP should be thought of as how cinematic your PC can be. Two high level fighters hack at each other for a very long time because both of them are Errol Flynning it to all hell. A lower-level fighter will fall quicker against a bigger one because he can't keep on the same level.

Doing it otherwise will start to cause headaches very quickly.
>>
>>44546015
GURPS NPC's don't even need proper stat blocks so why is that an issue. And the game tells you what different levels of stats mean.
>>
>>44543911
>Exploding dice results
Well you can jolly well fuck off.
>>
File: 135468323456.png (149KB, 526x430px) Image search: [Google]
135468323456.png
149KB, 526x430px
>>44546528
After you fuckhead
>>
>>44546305
>beauty

There is nothing good about that, hitting and defeating armour being combined is just stupid and brings nothing to the game but causing it to make less sense.
>>
File: tumblr_mmyibvIjg11r3heaeo1_500.png (202KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmyibvIjg11r3heaeo1_500.png
202KB, 500x334px
>Ability scores

Seriously why does D&D and Pathfinder STILL FUCKING DO THIS?

Literally who gives a fuck if 10 is the "average" score with a +0 modifier? Just say "0 is your average score" and tell people to add your score.

D&D ability scores only serve a few functions:

1) Ability score drain which is such a clunky mechanics I've never seen it implemented.
2) HP boost which could easily be done through more viable mathematical means and even then only applies to one freaking stat out of all of them.
>>
>>44545301
>the deadliest systems use rerolls
>supports HP bloat
Opinion discarded
>>
>>44546665
but anon, that would be ripping off M&M! And D&DPF make only original content!
>>
>>44543290
>the modern Shadowrun books are a fucking disgrace of organization.
Oh my god yes. Myself and another experienced DM both were hoping to play/run Shadowrun, so we looked at the recent rulebooks while on skype. We got maybe 20 minutes in without understanding anything. After reading the first few pages we had to skip ahead to other chapters MULTIPLE times just to get what was happening, and I could SWEAR I encountered an infinite reference loop. (Chapter 1 refers to Chapter 7 for clarifications on a rule, Chapter 7 refers to Chapter 1 about the rule, etc)
>>
>>44543489
Our psyker has such bad luck, every single time he rolls on Psychic Phenomena, he ends up rolling Perils, and the subsequently rolls Grand Incursion.

It has happened 5 times so far out of I think 6 Perils rolls, but through miracle WP tests he managed to fight it off all but 1 time.

That was a fun day.
>>
>>44543489
Psykers are totally OP, especially if your players misread the rules. But when something does go wrong for them, it takes about 5 tables worth of rolls before everything is finally resolved.
>>
>>44546665
You know, you can use ability scores in different ways.

>Your characters need a combined STR of at least 25 to move this rock

>The desert heat is so intense, anyone with a CON under 15 can't wear metal armour without overheating

>The language is archaic, only someone with INT 14 could read it
>>
>>44546913
>You'd need a str of 7 to move this rock.
>You'd need a con of 2 to wear metal armor without overheating.
>You'd need an int of 2 to understand this archaic language.
>>
>>44546913
That doesn't really depend on the bonuses and the scores being separate, though. Oh, boo hoo, you need 12 int instead of 13 to have combat expertise.
>>
>>44530683
>My own pet peeve: the way NWoD handles defense. When you attack, you ask for the target's defense and subtract it from your pool.
That's exactly how attacking worked in AD&D as well. Roll die, apply defender's AC as modifier, compare to THAC0.

Of course, there was a reason why everyone applauded moving the modifier part to the attacker and the target to the defender in 3.0 and onward.
>>
>>44546305
>It always surprises me how deadly the game is, despite the Hp system.
>A lot of monsters have abilities which bypass the Hp system to instantly disintegrate/paralyze/poison the poor PC.
So do casters, which is the whole source of caster supremacy.
>>
>>44546913
Your characters need a combined strength score of +7 to move this rock.
The desert heat is so intense, anyone with a constitution below +2 can't wear metal armor without overheating.
The language is archaic, only someone with intelligence of at least +2 can read it.

The only benefit to scores over modifiers is it has twice the granularity - a new modifier comes with every even point in your score.

This doesn't make a difference if you throw out scores entirely, though, since then a +3 is a +3 is a +3.
>>
>>44546665
>>44546913

He's actually right, though -- 4e and 5e (and to an extent 3e) have basically devolved ability scores into just an appendage of your class and you're pretty much fucked if your primary stats aren't sky high.
>>
>>44544316
>Get a second chance to succeed at a roll
>This enhances player agency, the ability for a player to make meaningful choices that affect the gameworld

No Anon, you're a retard spewing buzzwords.
>>
>>44534744
I noticed that Shadowrun uses mostly female pronouns
why tho
>>
>>44542715
>Anyways, my pet peeve is "immersion" in general. People always whine about "breaking immersion" or how these rules "aren't immersive" or whatever. They're unique in that they're the only segment that assumes that literally everybody wants to play the same way they do while simultaneously not being able to define what "immersion" is. It's just a fancier way for them to say "good" and pass their opinions off as objective criticism / praise, and it drives me fucking nuts.
This. "Immersion" a shit. 99% of the people I know who bleat about it have enormously fragile senses of immersion.
>>
>>44550766
It's the future where flawless sex changes are cheap, easy and quick process along with biosculpting for that perfect build-a-you look.

If you think the world doesn't have a 80/20 female/male split you're wrong.
>>
>>44551631
Why would I be wrong?
>>
>>44552540

Because most people like playing life on easy mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7kP_dd6LU
>>
>>44545981
Orc mooks have less plot armour.
>>
>>44545942
>neutral means for players to alter outcomes

You're wilfully misunderstanding, bucko. Neutral means that the GM doesn't apply personal whim to the outcome. So a reroll mechanic is neutral in that the player can choose to spend a scarce resource to alter an outcome, and the results of doing so rather than say spending this resource later are neutrally arbitrated.

Of which you have been trying, shamelessly, and unsuccessfully to imply is solely a matter of injury, rather than including plot armour and luck, which you have been railing against.

>Almost all systems with hitpoints have hitpoints for all characters, including the ordinary people.

Yep, and ordinary people have fewer and can do less dangerous shit. More important characters and creatures have more, so they can do more dangerous shit (like stand up to a group of player characters).

>You're self evidently retarded.

Says the man who can't string together a coherent point as to what differentiates one scarce narrative resource from another.
>>
>>44546913
>>44547244
This actually makes sense, though, at least the Strength part does. The way pushing and dragging work, being the character's carrying amount multiplied by a separate number(I seem to remember it being five?), adding everyone's Strength score together to get a combined score that's actually high enough to push or drag the rock, makes perfect sense. The rest is just a sort of minimum gateway that functions along the same lines.
>>
>>44529267
abstracted wealth.
>>
>>44553602
> Neutral means that the GM doesn't apply personal whim to the outcome

No it doesn't. Words aren't that hard. It means no party is inherently favored. If a player engages his exact clone controlled by the DM there would be a 50% chance either way in a neutral system.

With rerolls that's obviously not the case.

>imply is solely a matter of injury

Again words aren't hard buddy. You can't just say "I'm going to say that he implied that x is only y when he literally stated "x is y or z"

>Yep, and ordinary people have fewer and can do less dangerous shit

Larger or better trained characters have more. In pathfinder for example commoners and player character wizards have the same hit die, meaning that they start with roughly the same HP and scale at similar speed with combat training, in fact a commoner with high constitution, the stat that represents physical resilience and has a direct impact on HP, may have more hit points than a wizard.

Just because you lack even the barest vestige of reading comprehension doesn't mean I lack Coherent points.

>>44553548
And yet they have more or comparable hp to not so tough player characters. That's exactly the point.
>>
File: 094095094.png (105KB, 283x302px) Image search: [Google]
094095094.png
105KB, 283x302px
>>44554174
Oh god fuck this. I hate it when game's say "oh you have uh, 5 wealth points and 3 network points, and uh one renown point." It's just not something that should be abstracted.
>>
>>44543675
Although I love the research and detail put into the setting for Bushido, I have to say that while reading the books for it, several of the points you've brought up have bugged me regarding the rules.

I want to keep learning it, but is it worth it when I would want to throw out half the rules anyway?
>>
>>44554609
>No it doesn't. Words aren't that hard. It means no party is inherently favored.

Indeed. Every party is given their resources at the outset and the system arbitrates with them in a strictly neutral fashion. How is this so fucking hard to get? His exact clone would likewise have access to the same number of rerolls, otherwise he wouldn't be an exact clone, now would he?

>Again words aren't hard buddy. You can't just say "I'm going to say that he implied that x is only y when he literally stated "x is y or z"

Let's bring up some quotes, why don't we?

>Hit points are an abstraction of your physical health.
>Losing hit points represents a physical wound

Adding an addendum to cover your ass doesn't change the fact you tried to imply they're fucking meat points to escape the fact they're fundamentally a narrativist abstraction that reflects importance to the game and plot overall. including luck as an important factor. Or are you going to claim that a 20th level fighter can just do a bellyflop from space with no explanation required?

>Larger or better trained characters have more.

Why should a better trained character have more if it's not a narrative abstraction? If a hypothetical version of the Navy Seals copypasta guy were a real person, he'd still be subject to slipping and breaking open his skull in the shower in real life. This is because he has no importance to the narrative of life. But in a game, he'd have more so he doesn't do that, so he can actually accomplish his intended function in the game (such as posing a challenge to player characters)/

>In pathfinder

BAHAHA! I FUCKING KNEW IT! Go get some more experience with other games.

The fact the abstraction isn't properly realized in D&D doesn't change the fact that it is fundamentally a narrative abstraction. There's a reason the dark knight has more hitpoints than another man at arms despite the fact the material strength of their skulls are the exact same. One is more important.
>>
>>44552713
When everyone has a cunt, cunts become worthless.
>>
>>44554931

Nobody said the average guy had good economic sense.
>>
>>44545884
An abstraction of a real world thing though (the fact if you hit a guy enough times he'll stop getting up), what exactly are re-rolls meant to be an abstraction of? I think that's why people take issue with them and not hit points, re-rolls are much more out of character. When a character loses hit points it means the character in game has taken damage while if a character decides to use one of their magic (but not actually magic in game because that's something else) re-roll points what is that meant to be?
>>
File: 121.png (116KB, 279x308px) Image search: [Google]
121.png
116KB, 279x308px
>>44554928
Adding an addendum to a statement where you say "or this" does actually mean "or it could also be this", even if means the strawman of me you're building is wrong. At no point did I say "hp is exclusively meat points" I said hp could represent wounds, blood lost, poise, or stamina. Losing hp could be a cut on the shoulder, a blow that knocks you off balance, a relentless assault against that you that leaves you open for a more damaging attack. It never is a blow that damages your plot armor, because plot armor is inherently undamageable by weapons and fireballs. Someone being attacked by an orc doesn't make them less important to the plot until that orc has hit them enough that they lose narrative relevance.

A trained navy seal could take quite a few more punches to the gut than you or I. He could also only take one instant death effect.

Pathfinder/dnd is simply the most well know rgp with HP. You failed to address the point that a commoner and player character wizard have comparable hp in the most widely played system with the mechanic we're arguing about. Being someone who thinks that dnd is bad doesn't make you right. Refuting my argument would make you right.
>>
I've been having a problem with a lot of tabletop systems for Fallout. Usually it has something to do with

1-Weapon Balance and realism.
2-Ghouls and Super Mutants not being 100% resistant to radiation
3-Obvious Bethesda fanboy shit.
>>
>>44555419
I know it's fashionable to dislike bethesda but god damn when 3 and 4 exist in the same franchise as 1 2 and new vegas it's hard not to.
>>
>>44555343
>At no point did I say "hp is exclusively meat points" I said hp could represent wounds, blood lost, poise, or stamina.

Variations of meat point. You claim at every turn that HP represents only a physical effect. Which is patently absurd. Again, is the fighter able to bellyflop from space with no explanation? No, you did exactly what I said. You covered your ass, in an intellectually dishonest fashion to avoid admitting fault in your argument.

>It is never an attack that damages your plot armor.

Fate and luck are both important factors in most games, so it can indeed be an attack that damages either of those. But when I talk of relevance to the plot, I'm talking in a strictly metagame sense. The black knight, despite being no more durable than any of his men at arms will have more HP because a fight with him is meant to be more memorable. That is their sole fucking purpose. They do not model anything believable or realistic. Unless you think he should be able to dive from his parapet.

>A trained navy seal could take quite a few more punches to the gut than you or I.

Indeed, but he'd be able to take no more rounds of being doused in lava than you or I.

>You failed to address the point that a commoner and player character wizard have comparable hp in the most widely played system with the mechanic we're arguing about.

At that point, they're both about of equal importance. A first level wizard and a first level commoner are both "some guy" only one has spells. This is one of the caveats of D&D, you start off as nobody and become somebody.

>Pathfinder/dnd is simply the most well know (sic) rpg with HP.

Yes, that's why you're engaging in trademark 3aboo behaviour of shitting on anything the system doesn't do, and defending to the death everything it does do. Surely you're not a 3aboo.
>>
l>>44555343
>>44556303
Also, while we're at it. Straight from the horse's mouth of the guy who fucking designed them:

"Hit points are a combination of actual physical constitution, skill at the avoidance of taking real physical damage, luck and/or magical or divine factors. Ten points of damage dealt to a rhino indicates a considerable wound, while the same damage sustained by the 8th-level fighter indicates a near-miss, a slight wound, and a bit of luck used up, a bit of fatigue piling up against his or her skill at avoiding the fatal cut or thrust. So even when a hit is scored in melee combat, it is more often than not a grazing blow, a mere light wound which would have been fatal (or nearly so) to a lesser mortal. If sufficient numbers of such wounds accrue to the character, however, stamina, skill, and luck will eventually run out, and an attack will strike home..."

Gary Gygax, Dragon #24

>luck and/or magical or divine factors.
>luck used up
>luck will eventually run out

Eat it and tell me how you like them fucking apples. Hit points were designed to represent something very similar to fate/luck points. You fucking idiot.
>>
>>44556303

>Pathfinder/dnd is simply the most well know (sic) rpg with HP.

>(sic)

The rest of it is bland shitposting but this gave me an especially hearty chuckle. I'll remember it for future trolling.
>>
>>44556440
Shitposting? Oh come now. If I just wanted to shitpost, I'd take an easier route like starting a Dungeon World thread and shitting it up or something.
>>
>>44556303
>poise, or stamina
>meat point

A fighter is able to survive fall damage because a 20th level fighter is supernaturally powerful beyond what is possible for a human in a non magical setting. A 20th level character is essentially a demigod.

The black knight is presumably a more competent combatant than a nameless soldier.

>Indeed, but he'd be able to take no more rounds of being doused in lava than you or I.
>He could also only take one instant death effect.

A first level player character wizard is infinitely more important to the plot than joe the fishmonger. Player characters are inherently the most important characters to the plot. You don't start off as nobody you start off as learned scholars capable of fantastical feats of warping reality, experienced and trained warriors, priests capable of manifesting the power of the devine, all around whom the plot revolves.

I have plenty of issues with DnD. HP and rerolls aren't them.

So far your arguments are
>attack the first half of a point he made by providing a counterpoint that was literally exactly what he said immediately following that
>Attack his character because he uses an example from the most popular system, since I don't like it
>Reassert already refuted point without countering refutation
>>
>>44556393
Luck in the context of DnD is a magical force. It is not relevance to the plot. Being lucky and being important to the story are not the same thing.

Rerolls are used to represent nothing. They don't represent luck, how lucky you are is represented by the roll of the die in the first place. They don't represent fate, fate is preordained and cares not for the desires of the people it effects. Conscious resolutions by you the player to have something redone can only be...what?
>>
>>44529267
>System pet peeves.
Mine is somewhat genre specific:
Autofire rules that are either overly simplified or stupidly complicated. So few games can strike a decent balance of quick usable rules without doing stupid shit like "a three round burst is just a normal attack that wastes two bullets" or "make an attack roll and divide by this number and for every factor it rolls over that number and multiply the damage by the difference" or some shit.
>>
>>44557013
Wouldn't the way to do it simply be reduced damage and increased accuracy. That sounds backwards, but when you think about it makes sense. >Lots of bullets make it easier to actually hit something but it's harder to direct those bullets into the face
>>
>>44556650
>A fighter is able to survive fall damage because a 20th level fighter is supernaturally powerful beyond what is possible for a human in a non magical setting.

Do you have any substantiation for that? Because that's never been a thing in D&D outside of 4th.

>The black knight is presumably a more competent combatant than a nameless soldier.

More capable combatants become more capable of withstanding terminal velocity?

Lava isn't an instant death effect, and hasn't been in any edition of D&D.

>A first level player character wizard is infinitely more important to the plot than joe the fishmonger. Player characters are inherently the most important characters to the plot.

D&D was designed around an emergent narrative. You don't start out important to anything. You're a nobody taking up highly dangerous work to get rich and hopefully not die. This is the game that the hexcrawl was designed for.

>You don't start off as nobody you start off as learned scholars capable of fantastical feats of warping reality, experienced and trained warriors, priests capable of manifesting the power of the devine, all around whom the plot revolves.

Magic isn't particularly special in D&D. It's just part of the world. And a first level fighter isn't substantially better than an NPC guardsman.

>Rerolls are used to represent nothing.

Only because you say so.

>They don't represent luck, how lucky you are is represented by the roll of the die in the first place.

No, the roll of the die is something with literally no presence in the game. The use of a luck point to reroll can easily represent luck saving your ass from any otherwise unpleasant scenario. The spending of a fate point can also represent fate asserting itself to ensure things go according to its plan. You only say they can't because you don't like such mechanics.

>Attack his character because he uses an example from the most popular system, since I don't like it

It's called mockery. Deal with it.
>>
>>44557107
There should be a difference between a focused burst and an area saturation, because autofire doesn't work in one single way and those are the basic two ways to utilize it.
>>
>>44544400
>a system where a high score is incredibly important.
Are you sure you don't have AD&D and 3.X confused?
>>
>>44529267
>You only draw one card per turn and can only otherwise draw cards if a card you play says you can
>Random boosters as the primary distribution method
>Sealed product full of tier 3 and lower cards with maybe one or two tier 2's

Seriously what is this, 1980's with babbys first card game?

I'm not just talking about Magic
>>
>>44557232
Not in the slightest. Compare the difference between a member of a class who meets just the 9 minimum for their prime requisite stat and one who has the highest score possible. It's fucking massive.
>>
>>44557146
Then covering fire/saturation is increased chance to hit with reduced damage, while burst is reduced chance to hit but increased damage.
>>
>>44557335
Ah, but compare AD&D to 3.X, and you will see that stats could be more important.

The difference isn't that huge anyway.
>>
>>44557398
You'd be surprised how many games struggle with this concept.

Like that three round burst example is an actual rule I've seen before.
>>
>>44557408
The difference between a fighter with a 9 strength and one with an 18/00 strength is as such that the latter may as well be getting twice the number of attacks. The difference between for thieves with dex (going up only to 18, of course) is the latter having substantial penalties to the skills that define their class with the former getting substantial bonuses. A cleric with a 9 stat will fall one in ten spells. So and so forth.
>>
>>44557335
You're meant to choose class after rolling for stats.
>>
>>44557438
>playing a class with a 9 in its prime requisite
You deserve everything you get you wally.
>>
>>44557458
in Basic D&D you don't get much of a choice, depending on how unwilling your DM is to let you reroll.
>>
File: 1448831845840.jpg (49KB, 616x699px) Image search: [Google]
1448831845840.jpg
49KB, 616x699px
>>44529267
I hate it when games require the use of a battlemap and miniatures for combat to even work. More so if it's an RPG that lacks a devoted line of minis, so I have to try and track down minis from other games that fit the feel of the one I'm playing.

I guess I should specify that I'm talking about actually RPGs, not miniature-based wargames.. Those can be fun, even if they aren't my cup of tea.
>>
>>44557495
Again, you roll stats before selecting your class.
>>
>>44557548
That doesn't change the fact that ability scores were important for every version past Holmes.
>>
>>44557540
This.

It's the main issue I have with 4e in particular where the game is designed like a skirmish tacticool wargame and not like a cinematic rpg.
>>
>>44557540
>I hate it when games require the use of a battlemap and miniatures for combat to even work.
Fucking this. There's nothing wrong when the game can be enhanced by the use of a battlemap, but when the map in inherently built into the combat rules to the point it becomes difficult to even try to play without one I have to give the game a pass.
>>
>>44542893
Pathfinder switches it up. For the classes, for instance, the pronoun they use is dependant on the Iconic. Like feminine for the barbarian cuz the barbarian iconic is a female.
>>
>>44546146
So sitting around studying for a few decades, never fighting anything, becoming a lich, and studying for a few hundred more years gives me all this excellent poise. WAY than war veterans, professional fighters, soldiers, and the like.

What the fuck do liches study? Martial arts handbooks? What about all the other high-HP things out there that just don't do combat?
>>
>>44557304

1. Why is drawing one card per turn bad?
2. Only an idiot buys boosters looking for specific rares. If you want a certain card buy a single or trade for it. Boosters are for drafting.
3. Good cards are only good when compared to the bad ones. One can't exist without the other. Again, if you only want a good rare just go buy the single
>>
>>44554174

Non-abstracted wealth. And while I'm at it, inventories. Yeah, inventories.

I don't want to know how many silver pieces I have. I don't want to count my coppers. I don't want to ask the GM how many days he thinks the trip is going to take and purchase trail rations accordingly, and then buy feed for my horses, and then pay the mercenaries/guides that are accompanying us their hourly rate times 24 times 14 because it's a two-week trip. I don't want to sit down at character creation and buy chalk, and a bag of flour, and a ten-foot pole, and commoner's clothes, and adventurer's clothes, and 40 arrows. I don't want to tick off 5sp when I buy a meal at a tavern for the night, and then erase and re-write the little number next to my rations every day we're on the right.

Fuck. That. Shit. What I want to know is, "Is my character well-off enough to where he could buy a horse? Good, he buys a fucking horse."

"Rations? Who the fuck doesn't buy rations? Of course I bought rations, why would we take the time to handle that mechanically?"

"How many arrows did I buy? A dungeon's worth, what do you want."

"Do I have thieves' tools? I'm a fucking thief, what do you think?"

That was a really adversarial way of putting it but god there is nothing I hate more. Okay, there's probably a bunch of things I hate more but this is the one I'm thinking about right now and I hate it *a lot*. If we're playing some gritty survival game where saving up cans of post-apocalyptic radiated soup is a key part of the game, then sure, let's break out the spreadsheets. But if we're big fantasy heroes kicking down doors and rescuing maidens, don't make us spend all our time in town playing accountant. Don't make us spend *any* time playing accountant--I'll go play some Accountant-themed RPG for that, I'm sure there's one out there.
>>
>>44554639
>>44554174

Yeah it's way cooler to spend half the game counting beans :^)
>>
>>44558779
Preach it man!
>>
>>44554174
This. Abstract wealth systems are the most nonsensical and easily abused systems known to man.
>>
I am so glad I play systems where HP is nothing but meat points, avoids the idiotic wishy washy mess DnD hitpoints are.

Hell when you throw in AC then the game is combining luck, skill, fatigue, plot importance, being hit or not AND having your armour penetrated into only two stats. Which is completely ridiculous.
>>
>>44559336
What system do you play?
>>
>>44559361
Whichever one you don't
>>
>>44559336
For as much as one camp or the other makes claims about what D&D's HP represents, the rules and rulebooks make it pretty clear the designers never had any fucking idea themselves and could never fully commit to what they were supposed to represent beyond "tick down until you lose" points.
>>
>>44559372
But I don't play D&D.
>>
>>44559372
How would you know?

Just spit it out already, I haven't done you wrong.
>>
File: 1444173457387.png (124KB, 5000x2571px) Image search: [Google]
1444173457387.png
124KB, 5000x2571px
>>44556863
>luck is a magical force
>says in the same breath that therefore there cannot be a luck mechanic
are you fucking retarded, anon
>>
>>44559408
>>44559410
Fate Core and Dungeon World
>>
>>44559501
I see.
>>
File: are you frustrated.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
are you frustrated.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>44559501
>>
>>44558779
>>44559125
I freaking love Strike! for this reason.
>>
>>44558779
My group that plays d&d5 handwaves all this crap coz who cares
>>
>>44558779
My problem with abstracted wealth is that it places the responsibility of keeping track of party resources with the GM, who already has enough to do.

That, and the fact that I've seen more than one avid defender of abstracted wealth start complaining when the DM says "you're out of ammo/money/food". Suddenly, they start backtracking to 'prove' they should have plenty. Then someone starts a discussion on whether or not they are carrying a spare waterskin or something. In the end the only way to prevent such problems is to explicitly state in advance you're carrying spares, at which point you might just as well keep track of your inventory again.
>>
>>44559501
>fate
>dungeon world

I haven't seen taste this shit since August 14th 2011 when I met someone who liked Raisin Bran
>>
>>44560544
That's not how abstracted wealth works, like, at all, at least in the systems I checked.
>>
>>44560624
Sorry, I should have said "my problem with abstracted inventories is..." and "avid defender of abstracted inventories..."
>>
File: His smile and optimism gone.jpg (22KB, 235x250px) Image search: [Google]
His smile and optimism gone.jpg
22KB, 235x250px
>>44560589
Raisin Bran isn't good, but it gets the job done.

The job is making me poop without the bowl becoming full of blood.
>>
>>44560720

>You have to use fucking breakfast cereal to get your fiber

Let me guess; Ameriburger?
>>
>>44546493

Yeah I know kromm keeps saying that, but the reality is that GURPS is in desperate need of a monster manual. And we're short of NPC templates, too.

That's especially true considering how GURPS is so focused on GM prep-- except in the area of NPCs, where the GM is supposed to just wing it.

I'm saying all this as a GURPS fan. This is a glaring hole.
>>
>>44546791
My favorite was the intial print actually pointing to the wrong pages MULTIPLE TIMES.
Or the fact that there are many rules on the quick reference tables that no longer exist, like people getting a -2 to dodge AoE effects, despite AoE's not getting dodge rolls.
>>
>>44560656

Ahhh...

That's totally different from abstract wealth. A great game concept, depending on the setting.

I'm not a fan of abstract gear, though other people I respect insist that it's a great idea that vastly simplifies adventuring. In their favor, I suppose most players end up settling on a standard adventuring kit anyway.
>>
>>44562810

White wolf was famous for this, too. I talked to some guys who wrote for it who said that many of the sourcebooks were published without any playtesting at all.
>>
>>44560868
There has to be some equivalent to Godwin's law when discussing food online that inevitably leafs to someone calling Americans fat
>>
>>44563192
I like the FATE approach where you only note down important items. Nobody really cares if you have a crowbar in the trunk of the car or not, as long as it makes sense and you can justify it, it just makes the game move along faster.

Same way, you only run out of bullets/water/etc. as a consequence of the story (which usually comes about because of an unlucky roll on your part, or a lucky one whatever is imposing that condition on you).
>>
>>44563234
>leafs
I want Vegetarians to make like a tree and get outta here.
>>
>>44563234
>leafs
I want Torontonians to make like a tree and get outta here, eh?
>>
>>44562630
But it is entirely true, there is literally no need for an NPC to have more than the most basic stats in 99% of situations.
>>
>>44534744
I'm all for getting rid of using "he" as the default pronoun when gender isn't specified but the solution is to use a singular they or he/she.
>>
>>44533738
Deck of Many things isn't compulsory to us.

The REAL culprit here is anyone who uses some kind of "hilarious" Critical Failure mechanic.

>Go to attack a goblin.
>Roll a 1
>"You accidentally cut off your arm LOL!"

This isn't fun. You roll thousands of dice during a game's run. You WILL roll 1s. No one capable of operating their own lungs is that incompetent.
>>
>>44563591

It's entirely wrong. Yes, there are some situations where you can eyeball it. But there are lots of others where you need a full statblock.

For one thing, it comes up the moment players try to make an end run around an encounter by engaging the NPC off-stat. IE resolving a combat encounter via use of mental or social abilities, or a social encounter via combat, etc.

Second, it comes up when you try to make mid-tier NPCs. Not BBEGs, but the higher-ups that make up the majority of the big encounters in your game. These guys need a stat block.

Third, and most importantly, because eyeballing it goes against the spirit of GURPS. Why bother with all these rules for character creation when you're just going to eyeball the encounters anyway? Why not just eyeball the player characters' stats, too? Why not play Savage Worlds or FATE? If you skip offering stat blocks, if you don't even offer a library of them for GMs who want them, then you're selling GURPS short in areas that should be its biggest strength.

The real reason that GURPS doesn't have a bestiary is twofold. First, they don't see the business case. Second, Kromm has repeatedly said that they don't have a freelancer with the combination of personal expertise, writing skill, and RPG mechanics experience to write a bestiary. So it's low priority.
>>
>>44563658
"He" can be both masculine and gender-neutral. This is an established rule of grammar, and it's also an established rule of style that He or She should be used when a player or character is being used as an example.
>>
>>44563778
You fundamentally misunderstand people who run GURPS if you think a library of stat blocks is going to be popular or that its necessary enough to be a 'gaping hole'.

Even in books stuffed full of stats I compulsively change things or ignore them and start from scratch, most GURPS GM's are the same. Full stat blocks waste space when it is no work whatsoever to instantly assign a mental score to a mook. And it takes ten minutes to give the short form NPC stat block to a mid-tier enemy if that. You can use the huge number of already existing animal, career and racial templates as well if you like.

Eyeballing is not against the 'spirit' of GURPS in the slightest given the system itself tells you to do it when appropriate.
>>
>>44557728
Presumably one of the things a lich would study is better ways to bind his soul to his bones.
>>
>>44560589
>not liking raisin bran

How fucking pleb are you?
>>
>>44558779
I like your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
>>
>>44563778
>character creation rules
>NPCs
Duuude.
Even the books literally tell you not to stat NPCs as PCs.
>>
>>44563780
>"He" can be both masculine and gender-neutral.

Which is something a lot of people don't like. Also a product of the Normans fucking up our language, and as such should be reviled at every turn.
>>
>>44564419
>Even the books literally tell you not to stat NPCs as PCs.

Out of curiousity, why not? Not him by the way.
>>
>>44564446
My vote goes toward making singular they more wide spread. It's way less clunky than saying "he or she."

Ex:
>"I went to see my doctor today."
>"Oh? What did they say?"
>>
>>44564639
I think we should bring back some things from old and middle English. Like mann being gender neutral, wer referring to men, and ou being a gender neutral pronoun.
>>
>>44558635
>1. Why is drawing one card per turn bad?
For the same reason Candyland is bad: Variance.

>2. Only an idiot buys boosters looking for specific rares. If you want a certain card buy a single or trade for it. Boosters are for drafting.
Drafting is great and a lot of fun. But boosters are horrible outside of it.

>3. Good cards are only good when compared to the bad ones. One can't exist without the other. Again, if you only want a good rare just go buy the single
That's not what I'm talking about. Of course there will be good cards and bad cards. But a lot of games have a huge disparity between the two where it's almost immediately obvious what are "good" and "bad".
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.