[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you satisfied with your FLGS? What do they do wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 25

File: gamebig.jpg (86KB, 650x471px) Image search: [Google]
gamebig.jpg
86KB, 650x471px
Are you satisfied with your FLGS? What do they do wrong? What do they do right?
>>
File: greengrocer.jpg (17KB, 514x344px) Image search: [Google]
greengrocer.jpg
17KB, 514x344px
My FLGS looks pretty awesome, it's in Houston. It has a pleasant mixed staff of 20 something men and women that are relaxed and not weird. The owners are husband and wife and keep it clean and tidy and stocked with all sorts.

There is a huge game room too that I've not even peeked inside of, always has sounds of laughter and enjoyment coming from it.

>tfw every time I've gone in I've been buying a gift for my nephew who loves this stuff.
>tfw I just want to hang around and play any sort of tabletop game
>tfw Im covered in tattoos and ex-military and always come in after work with steel toed boots, dirty shirt and ripped jeans.
>tfw neither the guy nor the girl would look me in the eye when I desribed what I wanted.
>tfw I just want to be invited to play.
>tfw I want to go in and join in the adventure.

8th Dimension Comics? Any Houstonbros?
>>
>>44507339
Do you look THAT scary Anon? Guy sounds like a pussy, you look your customers in the eye.
>>
Best FLGS in Tucson is Isle of Games. They've got more of a general board game focus than the other ones around, which all seem to rely on just Warhammer and Magic.

The only thing they're really lacking is that they haven't managed to get a Netrunner night going yet. I hear they have something in the works though.
>>
Just moved to Colorado Springs, Gamer's Haven seems pretty legit. Large game room, large main room that has stuff I've always wanted but never got, they host all kinds of games, staff were nice, customers seemed nice (I went in on a sunday, which is their FoW day, and they were all friendly. Going tonight to their 40k night, we'll see how that goes.)

It's a way nicer shop than my old one, in Watertown NY. That being said, I loved my old one largely because of the gaming club there. Few douchecunts, but that is to be expected. Ran tons of campaigns and events. The owner was also awesome.
>>
File: Beardycelt.jpg (94KB, 635x334px) Image search: [Google]
Beardycelt.jpg
94KB, 635x334px
>>44507391
Im not, I just look a bit rough and dirty after work. I really want to be invited to join and play, I spent 30 minutes looking at a book of Shadowrun stuff and had a very interested look on my face while standing in full view of them.

I wasn't even spoken to.

>mfw Im too chickenshit to ask to play.
>mfw I know 40k inside out and all sorts of fantasy shit I kept hidden and locked away during the army.
>mfw I want to share it
>>
>>44507549
Sometimes owners ignoring you just means bad owners. There's a few FLGS here that are just horrible. They're poorly lit, completely taken over by warhammer, and tend to just have the owner and a single customer busy playing a game rather than paying attention to the shop.

These people don't want to run a game store. They want a club house that can pay for itself.
>>
Currently fucking one of the employees of my local FLGS. I would say I am very satisfied with the service she ... I mean, they.... provide.

Seriously though, it's a pretty good FLGS. Owned by a guy, his employees are his daughter in college, two other guys, and his 13 year old daughter who helps on weekends.

Very nice store.
>>
File: sadgungrabber.jpg (31KB, 634x358px) Image search: [Google]
sadgungrabber.jpg
31KB, 634x358px
>>44507637
I honestly don't think that is the case here, they recently upgraded to a much bigger property, they have all sorts on offer, beautifully big and clean store, well lit and pleasant.

There was always two people manning the front of house and helping anybody that came in, I watched them but not me.
>>
>>44507549
Autistic badass. I like it.
>>
File: wetgungrabber.jpg (174KB, 808x348px) Image search: [Google]
wetgungrabber.jpg
174KB, 808x348px
>>44507739
I'm not autstic, I just have no idea how to get in to this world. I don't want to impact other peoples enjoyment of this, this is their world. The one I choice is elsewhere, I don't believe I have any right to intrude on it without invitation.
>>
>>44507709
It doesn't sound like you fit the mold of what they think of as a regular customer. It happens sometimes, like I'm small and look like a hipster fuckwit, and was pretty largely ignored when I went to the local gun store until I was very specific and accurate in what I wanted.

My local game store is okay. They've recently hired a couple of girls to kinda chase away the greasy neckbeard aroma the store was getting. They're fine workers, but they're still getting to grips with the product line which I think will take some time. Also some of the male employees don't tend to try and sell product to women, which was a damn stupid idea around Christmas. I think the boys are intimidated sometimes. I would also really like it if they stocked more rpg books rather than solely dnd5th, which I just don't have that much interest in. But they've got all sorts of activity nights, from pf society to 3 magic nights, x-wing, netrunner, board games and a rotating spotlight night where they show and demonstrate new games (or games which they aren't selling that well).
>>
>>44507882
Just ask. You where in the military for fuck's sake, it's not like this is going to be worst than your training shit, and you sound like a nice guy.
>>
File: happygrabber.jpg (33KB, 400x509px) Image search: [Google]
happygrabber.jpg
33KB, 400x509px
>>44507883
What did you buy from your friendly local fun store?

>>44507912
Ask that the strange man can come and sit and play with your close-knit group of friends?
>>
The one in my home town closed. I am sad. I kinda want to open a new one, but I don't want to tie myself down that much.
>>
My FLGS is pretty small, manned by 3 guys, but I kinda like it, even though I have only been in there once (I am completely new when it comes to Tabletops). It's not dominated by warhammer, that's the GW around the corner. They have a nice big box of dice that I can rummage around in and find which dice feel right to me.
They have all sorts of games, and the ones on the right side tend to be German and the ones on the left are in English.
>>
>>44507176
My LGS is the only one we have. It's not really a game store and more of book store / "nerd apparel" chain. It focuses mainly on fantasy books and lego, but it sells comics, manga, boardgames, miniatures, card games, larp gear, ugly geek clothing and pretty much anything remotely related. Like overpriced LotR, Dr. Who and Star Wars merchandice (mugs, figures, toy lightsabers, you know).

They have 7 stores spread across the country (and pretty much have a monopoly here), and a few years ago they changed to a locale with a basement floor for all the truly nerdy shit (miniatures, CCG's, PnP) with a gaming room that has place for around 6-7 wargame tables or MtG tournaments with up to 80 people.

Overall it's not bad, but I don't really have anything to compare it to. I get along with the guys who work in the basement, but I don't even know who works in the floor above. I don't have the faintest clue who owns the store.

The locale used to be a bank. The basement used to be the vault. So the biggest problem is the insanely poor phone signal (Most often none) and the lack of wifi.
Also, it can get extremely loud down there. Being there at the same time as Vanguard / Yu-Gi-Oh kids is complete torture as they have zero grasp of volume control and telling them to shut up only works for 10 minutes.
The only ones noisier are when groups of teens who came to gawk at "so nerdy" stuff etc find out there is a basement with gaming tables and decide to grab monopoly or jenga from the huge pile of free boardgames (theres well over 100 different choices but they always pick something they've already played to death).

Now that I'm thinking about it, why the fuck is jenga even there? It's so fucking loud and disruptive. I'm going to ask they remove it.
>>
>>44507966
Ask the clerks if they have public playtimes or tournaments to join? Most lgs in my area have open game time at anytime but reserve space for tournaments when they do them (usually on weekends.) My lgs had a lot of older guys in it. A few ex military, and plenty of us had blue collar jobs.
>>
>>44507966
Man I needed to buy a replacement SKS cleaning kit, because I got gypped out of the one that was meant to be in the stock by this dick whom I bought it off online. I was also looking for a replacement trigger assembly for a 1930's Henry single shot for my grandfather but they didn't have one.
>>
>>44507549
just communicate. be a little self aware and crack a joke about not looking like the average kind of customer they get.

My secret hobby: Building painstakingly accurate model aircraft. You can imagine the look on the face of the 60 year old guy at the counter when this androgynous frilly goth guy with painted nails comes up asking if they have a resin cockpit for a 1/72 me262-2a / u2

haha it took them a while to figure me out, but i just rolled with it :D
>>
>>44508576
> :D

Don't do this.
>>
>>44508648
;p
>>
File: avatar2.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
2KB, 125x93px
>>44508576
What if I cant tell if he is male or female?

>>44508648
Then what do?!

>>44508205
Noice, that Henry rifle might be worth a little if Ol' Granpappy got it when he was a boyo.

>>44508198
I'll try that and see what happens!
>>
>>44507176
>tfw no FLGS
>>
>>44508576
You sound like a fag and I wanna put my penis in your butt
>>
>>44508895
I know this feel and I strongly suspect that at least half the posters in these threads are the same way, they just like making stuff up.
>>
>>44507883

> hiring female workers to change the smell of the store

Is your FLGS owned by someone with actual autism?
>>
>>44509288
Surely it would work?
>See Females
>See attractive females
>Try and attract them with axe body spray... like the commercials
>>
Mine has a pretty great selection but everything's overpriced as fuck so I end up buying online anyway. They do have good prices on some hard to find gundam models though.
>>
>>44507675

I hate to have to ask, but... You're fucking the college-aged one, right?
>>
>>44507339
When I lived in the city the closest place was pretty much Pathfinder and MtG centric, but now I'm on the east side and there is NOTHING.
>>
I like my FLGS but they're in such a shitty location that I'm afraid it will tank their business. They've already been slowly slashing down their business hours and I don't see them surviving to next year.
>>
>>44509382
the fact that he only specified the age for the 13 yo one is worrying
>>
>Games-Workshop
>usual Gw trappings thiugh the store is a little larger than most GW floorspaces
>employee is a nice guy and generally attentive though occasionally overbearing, and I once wittnessed him shovel $1000 of tyranids and hobby supplies onto some poor stay at home dad
>three "gaming tables" available, one table for "any game", one reserved for age of sigmar so basically its never used, and one table that's constantly taken up by display armies.
>players are reasonably nice though probably 30% are mega autists

>Madness Plano
>Big fuckoff store
>so fucking huge
>massive space for mtg
>probably 9+ wargaming tables
>serve food
>just slightly too far away to drive to on a regular basis

There's also another store to the west, but I don't go there enough to talk about it, all I know about the place is that they do mostly Warmahordes
>>
I wish my LGS was a bit "nerdier". It's a tad too family-oriented for my taste.
This is Germany where games are enjoyed by everyone, so that's why a lot of the game stores have stuff like miniture games and TCGs only as a secondary, much lesser source of income.
>>
My local games shop is pretty bad. They play Warmahordes and Magic. They also don't keep stuff in stock. It's mostly bare pegs, you gotta ask them to order stuff you want. I went in there the other day to ask if they had a day for X-Wing and the dude said "Most of the Star Wars people here play Armada, but there's a couple X-Wing guys" I said that I didn't really know how to play, would it be cool if I came anyway and did some beginner games, dude said "I don't think anybody would be interested in doing a demo game, they just want to get into it, y'know?"
>>
>>44508576
post a pic
>>
>>44507176
>Are you satisfied with your FLGS?
Oh god no
>What do they do wrong?
Condescending staff, they always talk down to you. Terrible, smelly clientele.
>What do they do right?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing, it's why I never go unless my friend begs me for EDH night.
>>
Great location, great stock, but the staff are fucking uptight as hell and don't want to carry on casual conversation unless it's about making them money. They're just really passive aggressive and it seems like they have to act like they like "nerd culture".
>>
>>44507391
>you look your customers in the eye.
You know there are some cultures where that is super rude right?
>>
My local one is pretty much a clubhouse affair, mostly the same group of people. not a great selection of games, books. I think the guy might make most of their money off ordering stuff.

Nice enough chap just... they really need to knuckle down and sort their store out.
>>
>>44509589
>Armada overwhelming X-Wing
Maaan, in my dreams.
Anyways, I live by Fantasy Flight HQ and go to their game center for playing games. Cool place, massive space to work with. Like only a fourth of their store is dedicated to shop, some of that to making food.

I'd rarely ever go there for buying games given they never host a sale as far as I know, but their room is packed with people willing to play games and the tables to house all of this.
>>
>>44507176
My FLGS is too far away and the roads too shitty for me to visit regularly (~30 with zero traffic, 1+ hours away at any time of day you might want to go somewhere).
>>
My LGSs are two hours away, one focuses on miniatures and model aircraft and things, one focuses on card games and board games, and one's a GW.

Only Cerberus stocks RPGs, and only 5E at that, but the other non-GW one will order them in for you.

I only go there to buy dice.
>>
>>44509382
I'm so glad I'm not the only one this occurred to.
>>
>>44509382
"In college" isn't an indicator of age at all, anon. Somebody could be 53. They could be a genius.
>>
I live in NYC, and we've got a total of four games stores, and unfortunately none are really all that good. #1 has been around for ages, and is honestly fascinating to browse- it makes you want to go in with a pith helmet and excavation tools because they've got all kinds of crazy ancient stock from the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately their play area is tiny and it and their staff are kind of creepy, and everything is MSRP or higher, and miniatures-wise they have geedubs and historics and that's about it (and X-Wing). #2 is much newer and used to have a laughably cramped play area, but expanded a year or two ago and are now probably the best in town. Stockwise not so good, though- decent selection of RPGs and board games but no miniatures at all other than X-wing/other prepaints, not even geedubs. #3 is some tiny thing way the fuck out in the ass end of Brooklyn that basically only does CCGs and heavily caters to the YGO crowd, and isn't worth thinking about. #4 just opened a little while ago and is clean and friendly, but not worth going to unless you live nearby- stockwise they've got Magic and the popular highlight reel boardgame selection, and they advertise miniatures as well but it's a single standing rack of geedubs leaning heavily on the more expensive side of the range and roughly two boxes each of privateer and malifaux plus a whole wall of more fucking X-wing.
>>
>>44510250
>Living in NYC
>Willingly

I'm so sorry anon.
>>
>>44510261
I was born and raised here by parents who were born and raised here. I can't say I haven't had a pretty good life.
>>
>>44507339
well i'm on the other side of houston in katy. i've been to asgards which is magic and warmachine/horde heavy but plenty of space if dusty. ettins games is alright but too far for me and the same with fat orges. fat orges is great for 40k i hear and i've spent a good hour or so talking to a clerk about miniature paint and painting.

as for the local gw stores, the one near my house seems alright and is filled with teens while the one on westheimer tends to have an older crowd. i've gone to hang out and eat lunch with the guys there once. i'll have to visit 8th dimension at some point after i'm done with school for the day at TSU
>>
Mine is more of a comicbook shop.
They have some nerdy merch stuff, some MtG, an aisle for boardgames including a small area for RPGs (mostly DnD, but some other stuff too) and an small aisle for minis with nearly only GW stuff, mostly 40k. They also sell X-Wing and Krosmaster. Oh, and half a year ago they unearthed a big box of Urban War minis but they sell most of them for too much and anyway it seems I'm the only one buying them. Though there should probably be sales soon so I'm gonna make my wallet bleed.
The playing space is small and most of the time occupied by MtG players, with a really small group of YGO players who play for fun and are pretty cool. I've also seen a bunch of 40k players, and they hold tournaments for these three games and for Krosmaster. Overall the local crowd is pretty nice, with a few autists and neckbeards thrown in.
The employees are cool but I feel like there's only one guy amongst the whole team who really takes his job seriously.
>>
>>44508576
Please tell me your a gay. I want to do naughty things with you.
>>
File: 2015-06-05 19.43.11.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-05 19.43.11.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Great Escape Games, in Sacramento. Good communities for pretty much every game you want to play, prices as good as I get online, good selection of snacks including ice cream kept in a freezer. Has a consignment case where you can put /tg/ stuff on sale so the store can take a 10% commission and you can move stuff you don't want anymore. Good communities for MTG, RPGs, Board Games, 40k, WarmaHordes, and X-Wing

Also, pic related. This is one third of the gaming space.
>>
When I was knee high to a boll weevil the only LGS around was Gator Games in...Belmont I think or San Mateo, right on the border either way. I used to go in and buy 40k models and codex with my pocket full of suburbia lawn mowing money. Come out with a few things I didn't understand for a list I didn't grasp for a game I couldn't play...not to mention I couldn't paint for shit. Not once did any of the staff take me aside or show any interest in me beyond my crumpled pile of bills. They were always too busy with the standard nerd chat with whatever regular had waddled in and was prepared to drop half his pay check on cards. I hear now that they do tournaments and try to teach kids how to play, but I've not been in to confirm. All I got out of that was a few classic metal models sitting in a box at my parents' and a decade + of disinterest in anything /tg/. At that age a first impression is everything and as much as I wanted to get into it that places' indifference to me and my buddies.

It's been years and I'm only just now getting back into /tg/ and enjoying it so far but it's been DnD or board games. After the bad taste that place left in my mouth it will be a while before I try my hand at models again.
>>
>>44507176
>Are you satis

>>44507176
>What do they do wrong?
Supporting essentially nothing but MTG, WarmHordes, and 5e

>What do they do right?
I suppose they're good at supporting MTG, WarmHordes and 5e.
>>
No, the store is horrible. Really just the worst in every category.
>>
>entire wall taken up by boardgames no one buys or playtests
>corner taken up by game station no one uses and lights are never on
>candy wrappers in paint shelf
>rpg books all but replaced by comics
>tables have around the clock human lard balls watching you while you shop
>only 1 employee tries to do his job, others sit around and talk to one another
>back room used by tumblr tier shadowrun group of one employee's brother
>no listed times of event so you know when to avoid card tournaments

I really wanted to give you money, Fanatix in Dothan, I really did. Just ended up doing huge orders with my two buddies and avoiding your store. Not worth the hour drive to not be able to shop or browse because you ignore your own posted time nor event advertisement.
>>
I have a few FLGS in my area but all are shitty. I mostly play infinity now. Also if you weight out a warhound titan it cost more in resin than to buy its weight in silver.....So fuck GW/forgeworld. I wanna play Eclispe phase more.
>not getting together with a bunch of your bros and renting club house space. none of us have houses
>>
>>44512946
>none of us have houses
Do any of you go to college? We used to rent out private study rooms in the engineering library for 2 hour blocks at my old school. Half the people we played with weren't even students, but since it was the one library with blinds no one ever knew what we were up to.
>>
>>44513004
>Do any of you go to college?
Most did. Housing is bad in the area in general. 120k house three years ago is 320k.

Also many like it as a clean line club house. Its got other features as well there besides that.
>>
>>44507339
I feel your pain bro. Im also tattoed, in good shape, normal looking, former army 11B1P. I get cold-shouldered pretty hard at the flgs. Ive managed to make a few friends up there, and have slowly begun to get accepted by the regulars. Its a bitch though. I have to really dial back my personality so I dont make the guys resentful or uncomfortable around me. Ive never had to try so hard to get people to warm up to me. I dont begrudge them for it though, I try to empathize.
>>
>>44513062
>120k house three years ago is 320k
I know that feel bro. Average house price in my city is over 600k now, everyone is just renting or buying condos since they're less than half that.
>>
>>44513085
That's exactly it, the last thing I want to do is humiliate or belittle these guys and gals. At the range, yeah it's super easy and straight forward or even back in the forces (British) it was simple.
>>
>>44507512
If you're into MTG or well other cards game.You should also check out Enchanted Realms.
>>
>>44507739
>badass
He's probably EX-military for a reason.
>>
File: dontneedassaultrifle.jpg (66KB, 500x415px) Image search: [Google]
dontneedassaultrifle.jpg
66KB, 500x415px
>>44513752
Because I served a tour and thought nows the time to enjoy life a bit i got out quite unscathed.
>>
>>44507176
Fa/tg/uy in New Braunfels, texas here. Wat do?
>>
File: 1448355473649.png (190KB, 540x482px) Image search: [Google]
1448355473649.png
190KB, 540x482px
Good
>three bathrooms
>air conditioning
>monitor on the wall to keep track of who's playing who during tourneys(plays music videos when no tourneys being played)
>usually gets products a few days ahead of release
>has a Wii-U with Super Smash Bros.
>near University
>tons of people come in
>bins filled with commons for each game

Bad
>uses TCGPlayer for card prices
>sells snacks and drinks
>most of the chairs are plastic, most of which are broken
>AC only gets turned on when it gets too hot
>Mainly sells TCG stuff, barely any tabletop games
>no good parking
>tons of people come in, sometimes hard to get a table during game days

could be worse
>>
File: 1397159747396.png (133KB, 313x382px) Image search: [Google]
1397159747396.png
133KB, 313x382px
>>44507176
I only have two problems with my FLGS:
1) it's a solid three hour drive away, four if the weather is bad.
2) Some shithead customer keeps hiding new books when they first come out so he can buy them later when he has money. I've started discovering his hiding places and I'm sure he's not happy about it, but fuck him. I have money now, you don't, give me the fucking book you sack of shit.
>>
>>44513085
As someone who is /fit/ I know this pain. No tattoos, super boyish face, but just being in shape and charismatic makes you a target for resentment in this hobby. It sucks so much, and I've practically given up on any IRL local games as all become either a) the female GM favours me, b) the male GM is a cunt to my character or c) I run the game and no one comes over to play because they're put off by me.

At least I've got my /tg/ games
>>
>>44508833
Report back to us when you do!
>>
File: 1410005320444s.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1410005320444s.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
>>44513976
AYE SERGEANT!
>>
>>44513846
Universal City fag here. Recently moved, so I haven't checked out the game stores around here. Let me know if there's any good ones in SA/Austin area.
>>
>>44510250
Nigga just shop in the first one and go play in one of the other three if things are so shit.
>>
>>44511452
I live near Sac I really should go into great escape some time I keep hearing good things.

I'm sure it's gotta be better than A1, A1 here is garbage.
>>
>>44514067
SA here. There aren't really any good places for tabletop games. I mean, there's Heroes and Fantasies on the north side off NW Loop 410 and a few Alien Worlds around the city but those mainly cater to TCGs. You'll probably have to do some kind of club shit. No clue about Austin because fuck Austin.

http://tabletop-games.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/san_antonio/
>>
>>44513085

I don't get this mentality. When I heard that vin diesel plays, I could only think about how awesome it would be to play with someone who has had his type of life. Playing with a bunch of nerds of similar nature is fun, but a variety of personality/experience would be so much better.
>>
>>44514266
>Vin Diesel
>Celebrity
>Well known to be a badass
>Famous
>Rich
>Can not be intimate others, as he is known in the hobby and generally pleasant

>Fairly well built Anon
>Not rich
>Not famous
>Not a celebrity
>Unknown quality
>May be disliked immediately because one of the grills wanted a ride on his motorbike instead of playing
>New to the hobby and may be 'bullied' out.
>Tattooed
>>
Gamer Craze in Canton NY. Very small, but the staff is really fun to talk to. I only play magic, but they have some 40k stuff, a ton of board games and sell video games and consoles as well. They're in a town with three surrounding colleges, and they take campus cards from all of them. They even sell shit unrelated to games on campus card for kids who don't have cash; I've heard stories of them purchasing vehicles and paying rent in exchange for campus card credit, wicked bros and the owner is looking to scale up soon. Would recommend on tcgplayer for online purchases.
>>
>>44514371

>point
>
>
>
>your head

I only used Diesel as an example of a player outside the 'norm' of D&D enthusiasts. Has nothing to do with him being rich or popular, moreso that he has an acting career instead of an IT job or living in moms basement.
>>
Weirdly, Altoona, Pennsylvania has two local game stores. The larger one is run by an asshole but has decent selection. The smaller one is run by some pretty cool guys, has a neat little sitting area, and seems pretty good, but they have absolutely nothing related to Roleplaying games, only Magic and Boardgames. I've thought about ordering some stuff there, though. Otherwise I can't give them money for things I don't want.
>>
>>44512732
>Fanatix
>Dothan
>Google Search

When the fuck did Dothan, Alabama get cool /tg/ things?! Goddammit, when I lived in Ozark, it was either the shitty Wiregrass Cards and Comics shop, or going to Books-A-Million to see if their meager selection of /tg/ material held any interest for me.

Fuck I'm mad. You motherfuckers better appreciate the living shit out of the place.
>>
>>44507176
good games rockingham are pretty good although they need to stop putting the fans on when people are playing cards some of us write our life totals on paper
>>
>>44511452
>I can see myself in that picture

I need to come by more
>>
>>44510250
#1 is complete strategist & #3 is kings games. You left out the gw store by NYU
>>
It's not hyper-varied, and I haven't played there just yet (didn't play modern back when i played mtg, but maybe when i start 40k ill go), but the employees are nice.
>>
>Good
Local store, so bare minimum I feel more ethical.
Everybody who works there is super friendly and awesome. Half the time if it's not busy they'll just play games with whoever asks them.

And they always have a new stock of dice every few weeks, so that tickles my collection addiction.

>Bad
Events are a bit too hectic- but this is mostly from their consumer-base and not them. They still need more workers and space, but they've improved a lot.

They absolutely need an age limit on booster drafts, every week has 2-3 underage, often times literally autistic children who make the experience a chore for everyone else. (They do have an MtG children's league so I hope they'll do a children's booster draft soon)

Otherwise their stock gets stagnant quite often, and Tabletop RP stuff is just given a small corner of the shop and that's just personally disappointing.
>>
Dice Dojo Chicago where muh uptown bois at
>>
>>44514478
I live in bumfuck Marianna, FL. It is either the 35 miles to Dothan or the 65 mile trip to Panama City.

Plus the place is shittastic. Last time I was there,the sphere shaped subhumans in there were complaining that the two chairs they were using didnt feel good.
>>
>>44514126
That's more or less what I do, except the only thing I end up buying is paint since even #1 doesn't stock any of the games I actually play.
>>44514620
Yes on all three counts. Fuck GW. If you're not familiar with the other two, #2 is the 20-Sided Store in Williamsburg and #4 is the Geekery HQ in Astoria.
>>
>>44514747
On the one hand, I can see how that's objectively bad. On the other hand, this sounds kinda good compared to Wiregrass Cards and Comics in Ozark.
>>
Game Night Games? Any SLCbros out there?

I'm pretty rarely there, usually just to pick up some odd thing or an occasional booster draft.
>>
File: 1448444583904.jpg (24KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1448444583904.jpg
24KB, 500x375px
My FLGS is honestly pretty damn great. Its located in Bellevue, WA. 20 miles away from me, but worth the trip there, everytime.
>Are you satisfied with your FLGS?
Immensely satisfied. I have a hard time imagining a better one.
>What do they do wrong?
High, hard ceilings, so it can get very noisy during peak hours. The staff doesnt really seemed trained well for the restaurant area, and can be slow and forget simple things like refills. You have to call them over a lot, if you need them. All very nice people, though. Food is very overpriced, but they serve good beer and coffee, so its worth.
>What do they do right?
Almost everything. Behind the register is a HUGE wall of bookshelves stuffed with board games. Hundreds of em. You can ask a staff member and they'll give you one of the games to play in the store. Huge area with all sorts of board games. Two huge shelves filled with TTRPG books, including some less known ones. A decent sized area for warhammer gaming, and a good selection of warhammer and related stuff. Painting/model building table. Gigantic back room filled with 12 or so tables that can fit 10 people each. Anybody can play whatever they want there, so long as there isn't an event going on. MTG area, complete with chandelier made out of lands. Large restaurant/cafe section with big tables. You can pick out an aforementioned boardgame, then go to the restaurant and eat while you play. Also alleviates my guilt when I stay for many hours. I just buy coffee every few hours. I havent bough much other than food there, but it seems like most things are around the same price you could get online. 10/10, its my favorite place in the whole city. Just wish I knew more people I could meet up with there.
>>
>>44515231
forgot to mention the best part.. It has secret rooms avaliable for renting by the hour. One is behind a bookshelf, the other, a wall with weapons hung on it. Didnt even know about it, until I found the bookshelf door ajar one day.
>>
>>44515231
That sounds great. If I weren't 50 miles south I'd play there often.
>>
>>44515231
I work in Bellevue, what's the place called? Been looking for a place to game ever since I moved over from Northgate.
>>
>>44515777
Mox Boarding House
>>
File: asdfasdf.png (235KB, 521x484px) Image search: [Google]
asdfasdf.png
235KB, 521x484px
>>44515804
Well, shit. Up for some slaughterball or something later? The place is apparently just down the street from my work, pic related.
>>
>>44513085
>>44513938

>I'm so cool and sexy that all these fat nerds resent me and any women in the vicinity want to slurp my dong!

Are you even the slightest bit self-aware of how you sound? People are probably put off because they know that in YOUR head you do think you're some much better. At my FLGS we have a few pretty attractive guys and ripped dudes who play right alongside our hugest fatasses and guess what? Everyone gets along really well. Probably because they're actually down to earth normal human beings that don't harbor the same internal smugness you're displaying right now.
>>
It doesn't exist.

What do?
>>
>>44509898

Did you not go there around black friday? They have a ton of shit on sale around there. Honestly I only buy things there every so often to support the game center. They also get LCG packs early there sometimes, which kicks ass. Love the FFGC.
>>
>>44513870

>sells snacks and drinks
>bad

What? How is that bad? Do you not sleeve your shit or do you just play with inconsiderate retards who go full cheeto fingers on your stuff?
>>
>>44515231

>>44515913
Again, headed to bed, so: I'm ktforg on skype or gmail if you want to discuss potential meetups/games/beer-getting. And thanks again for letting me know about this place, it looks pretty great.
>>
>>44507549
I live in spring. Would totally meet up for some warhams. (I apologize for my army in advance though. Looks like shit sadly. )
>>
>>44517035

Its fine. He just got out of the military so he's used to shitty armies.
>>
>>44507176
They're pretty rad, but it'd be nice if they had more wargaming stuff.
>>
>>44513894
kek
>>
>>44509714
I think you're thinking of wild animals
>>
>>44509714
You know they are talking about a culture in which it's rude not to look someone in the eyes in conversation, much less a customer? Get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>44513894
Bring that shit up with the owner.
him hiding books is money they could have been using, and people could have bought the first and they could have re-stocked.
someone did that at a bookstore I used to go to and the owner found out who and they got banned for like 2 years.
>>
>>44517064
You're terrible.
>>
>Eternal games (Michigan)
>Good
Lots of room, decent board game stock, staff is chill, snacks/drinks on sale with "rules" to prevent mishaps.
>Bad
Clientele are all theifs, jews, or neckbears with little to no inbetween.
Staff can be "too chill" because they don't work for cash, they work for store credit.
Cientele only bring more bad clientele, so it scares off most decent people and the population is kind of low (a quarter of their tables are full for FNM)
Stock is mostly MTG, board games, and herodice or whatever it's called, there's a few odds and ends here and there but most they would have to order
Sleeves are overpriced
Staff will jew you and overprice based on condition ("near mint" cards sometimes have folds or other major flaws)

If anyone else in michigan knows of a decent game store that isn't a million years away from the detroit area please shout out, I know it's unlikely since crime rates are so high here.
>>
I live in Seattle. The two I frequent are

>Card Kingdom
You know them, you love them. The terrible online MTG prices, that's them. However, their actual physical location is fucking AMAZING. Some of the best staff I've ever met and the cafe (Cafe Mox) next door/connected is also top notch, if a bit expensive. The clientele tends to range quite a bit, and they cater to almost every taste, though primarily MTG. I honestly love it and wish I had more disposable money to spend there. They'll hold anything for you and have an extensive free game rental library.

>Blue Highway Games
Also a great place, though less so since my friend moved away (we'd do thursday drafts there). I've been going there since I was about nine or ten off and on; they were right down the street from my middle school (I'm 19 now).

I've also heard great things about Phoenix Games and Greenlake Games, but they're a bit more out of the way for me. I can bike to Card Kingdom in about fifteen minutes and Blue Highway is about five to ten minutes from my work so those are my go-to stores. Sadly, down at the family house in Des Moines, the more local shops have all shut down or adopted incredibly asinine hours.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied, though I wish CK and BHWG had better sell/buy prices on Magic.
>>
Three different stores here bc college town, so there's a big gaming community. They all have their own thing so they're better for some things than others:

>#1
Mostly board games, RPGs, and cards
Where most of the MTG players go, hosts regular board game nights
>Has good selection and discounts on products, but attracts the local That Guys to board game night and FNM.
Has one friendly owner and one scary fascist owner, if you're lucky you get the good one.
Tons of space, easy to find a spot to game away from other people or go hang out with them if you want.

>#2
Mostly miniatures, mix of GW and Warmahordes plus smaller games (X-Wing is doing real well here)
Lots of tournaments and events, staff is friendly. They run Pokemon which means watching language sometimes.
Would play here more often if they had more play space (It's mostly tables for minis)

>#3
Everything from 1 and 2 plus a ton of weebshit. Mostly survives on sales from that.
Owner is kinda creepy but good as a place to get stuff that's sold out at 1 and 2.

It's a pretty good setup. There's something for all tastes.
>>
>>44517537

>Detroit

Son you ain't got time for games when you be living in the post-apocalypse.
>>
>>44509714
In Houston, though?
>>
There aren't any FLGS in my city, it has a population of over a million and all the gaming stores just do magic. It has 2 GW's, a bunch of board game stores and millitary hobby stores that stock diorama stuff, not bolt action/flames of war.

I'd spend so much money if I could go into a store and just pick stuff up instead of online.
>>
>>44517796
well your lucky your city has 2 GW's. My entire country only has 2 GW's
>>
>>44517537
Pandemonium should only be like 40-50 minutes away unless you're way on the east side.
>>
File: ss (2016-01-02 at 04.47.39).png (13KB, 399x490px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-02 at 04.47.39).png
13KB, 399x490px
>>44517537
me again. stop being shit.
>>
>>44517929
>>44517908
Thanks anon, will check it out soon, appreciate it.
>>
>>44517593
Oh hey I live right next to Card Kingdom, too. I've lived here for over a decade and never bothered to check because I've never been to a "nerd" space that didn't offend all of my senses. I guess I should check that place out sometime and see if they've got Traveller.
>>
>>44518186
>see if they've got Traveller.
Fucking nobody has Traveller.
>>
>>44518213
They've got Mouse Gaurd, though.
>>
File: 44j8o49ani2vilodzqc7.jpg (495KB, 979x475px) Image search: [Google]
44j8o49ani2vilodzqc7.jpg
495KB, 979x475px
Maximum comfy
>>
>nice enough clerks
>they just charge SCG price for all their singles, not the worst thing in the world
>is not run by Ol' Squinty One-eye, scourge of the city's FLGS market
>good selection of all the shit I want to buy

>not that much space, gets real cozy real fast
>they just keep the lewd figurines right out for people to see, wtf
>in the Canadian equivalent of the ghetto; some guy literally walked in with 5 grand in cash and bought a black lotus, 150% sure it was a drug dealer

Ehh, that'll do, peg.
>>
>>44507176
Well considering I live in australia, I can only assume "local game shop" means the only one this side of the continent. The magic of shipping costs ensure that only the finest of wares and every edition of monopoly known to man line our shelves for only twice their regular price, give or take depending on how awful our dollar is at the time. If you want somewhere to actually play games with people you have to join the only two clubs still standing, one of which has us in a back-room of a library at night, and the other situated in the middle of my local shopping complex so children and old folk can stare at us for their amusement. Suffice it to say traditional gaming is a struggling, tight-knit culture over here.
>>
>Everything is 10%-20% RRP
>Staff are weird but helpful
>Cheap clearance shit
>8-10 gaming tables for Miniatures games
>Space for D&D
>Whole room for Magic games
>Good selection of miniatures
>Amazing collection of backissue comics and magazines

>Mediocre selection of RPGs(Mostly D&D with some FFG stuff)
>Really focused on Magic because it brings in all the cash
>In shitty area
>Path to toilet smells like pee
Overall probably the best FLGS I've been in
>>
>>44519704
What the fuck are you talking about?
Unless you live in Alice Springs or Darwin there are a few stores on the West Coast
>>
>>44519747
Well aside from wildly exaggerating, I in fact live on the east coast. There aren't a lot of good stores around brisbane that aren't a road trip away, and the rest are barely large enough to house people and product let alone hold games.
>>
>>44519887
>>44519466
Ace Comics and Games
Best store in Brisbane
If you are on the North Side though I feel sorry for you
>>
>>44519898
>>44519714
Woops
I dun goofed
>>
>>44507176
I don't have one where I live, the only one that I knew of closed 1 year ago.
>>
File: image.gif (13KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
13KB, 633x758px
>tfw no FLGS
>>
File: Baaaaaahbob.jpg (17KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Baaaaaahbob.jpg
17KB, 300x225px
>>44517035
Warhams rp?! 'Cos I'm down.
>>
>>44516515
I stayed in for all of black friday. Maybe it was cool, I sadly missed it though. I've bought all of 2 things from them outside of food. A T-70 X Wing and a laser line drawer.
>>
File: 1429476451430.gif (666KB, 256x249px) Image search: [Google]
1429476451430.gif
666KB, 256x249px
My LGS is a GW, but I've never encountered anything like the horror stories that get posted around here.
>clean
>fairly spacious
>though very lacking in available tables (to be expected from a GW I suppose)
>clientele is friendly, very few autismos and no unwashed behemoths
>never bothered by staff, politely decline help when you walk in and that's it
>main guy likes to talk about rumours and leaks, spent about twenty minutes discussing AoS when the rulebook surfaced on the internet

My only problem with it is that they removed the little fern (somehow) growing on the sign. That thing had been there for at least 15 years, probably longer.
>>
Not really. The only LGS nearby only caters to Magic and a couple other card games and smells like cat litter. I've heard occasionally they'll get people in to play Warhammer or D&D but I've never seen it happen.
>>
File: 735955994.jpg (158KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
735955994.jpg
158KB, 720x540px
The game store of my old hometown was awesome
>Tiny town in the middle of Alaska, only one game store
>Huge floorspace and constantly filled with every nerd in town
>Friendly staff, introduced me to everything from Chew comics to Shadowrun
>Right before I moved they bought the space next to them, knocked down the wall, and filled the space with a dozen long cafeteria tables
>Card games and Warhammer can be found at all hours of the day

Then I moved to a huge city on the east coast
>Only local game shop is a hole in the wall with a few comics, nothing in the way of tabletop games
>One decent comic shop 30 miles north, one I actually like 100 miles south

Godamnit, this is why I can't find a group to play with
>>
File: 1417158457305.gif (220KB, 286x119px) Image search: [Google]
1417158457305.gif
220KB, 286x119px
>>44509322
>axe body spray
i thought the idea was to drive away unpleasant odors?
>>
File: 1434064060928.png (245KB, 287x400px) Image search: [Google]
1434064060928.png
245KB, 287x400px
>>44517537
>michigan
GameOn Midland is pretty much the only place i'll go anymore. i've heard that Collector's Corner is running a lotlotlotlot better now that Dru and Brandon are doing most of the game-related business (because the owner was overworking himself for years trying to one-man-band his store), but the very few times i actually get to go out i'm at GameOn because Brian & co. have been so good to me since Day1.

>tfw all the Volcs they had sitting at 179.99 (lightly played) are gone
>>
>>44525266
Axe is unoffensive unless they douse themselves in it. Or also never bathe. Not really any different than other deodorants.
>>
Nope. They went out of business for a good reason. Good riddance.
>>
Live in Silicon Valley, and I'd expect this region to be littered with LGSs, but the selection seems limited despite the high nerd population.
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.