[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/, here's a quite hard character writing challenge just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 29

File: Px1Egop.jpg (126KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Px1Egop.jpg
126KB, 900x675px
/tg/, here's a quite hard character writing challenge just for you

Create a serious, compelling and overall "good" character that wields katana, wears a fedora and and is an atheist. He also has to be male and Caucasian. Any setting is allowed

He has to be good to the point where you wouldn't be ashamed introducing him into your own game.

I'm not even trying to be jokey, I think every concept can be done well as long as you put your head to it
>>
File: ijLuPZd.jpg (192KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
ijLuPZd.jpg
192KB, 1032x774px
Some reference material for you
>>
>>44378068

Film Noir-style detective who uses a katana instead of a revolver, perpetually smokes, drinks and swears and had lost his faith in God because his family got murderer.

Katana can be a setting thing or a result of some character quirk. Maybe insert some Jetstream Sam in there.
>>
>>44378135
Actually, give Jetstream Sam a disguise that's him in a trenchcoat and fedora. If you'd ask him on belief, he'd say he never bothered.
You could go really anachronistic and set it in the 20s as well. And take nothing too seriously.

There. Fixed.
>>
File: oiCwih9.jpg (22KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
oiCwih9.jpg
22KB, 367x500px
>>44378135
good start but predictable
why use a katana? how does he not die?
also, I imagine players would totally call you out
>>
>>44378068
sooo

like the other detective from blade runner?
>>
>>44378068
Take Ghost Dog.

Make him a white guy with a trench coat and fedora.
>>
File: Roman.png (334KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Roman.png
334KB, 720x720px
>>44378068
None of those traits really affects someone's personality. Give pic related a katana-cane instead of a gun-cane and tweak the hat a smidgen, bam. Done.
>>
>>44378243
That was done

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Samoura%C3%AF

Also this solves the OP
>>
>>44378068

What about subway vigilante guy? He seems an obvious choice.
>>
>>44378243
>mfw I google Ghost Dog
Oh god what the fuck I can't stop laughing
I'm gonna watch that shit right now
>>
>>44378068
Meet Takahiro Camus, the Franco-Japanese descendant of Albert Camus. Using the sharp blade he has inherited from his maternal grandfather and the even sharper wit he has inherited from his paternal grandfather, he struggles with the meaninglessness of an existence without God. Avoiding edginess, he decides that suicide is not the way out as it is merely a denial of the problem rather than acceptance. Instead he combines French existentialism with Japanese shinto-buddhism: by accepting the absurdity of life and disconnecting himself from the material world, he can find inner peace and purpose in life.

His tool in disconnecting himself from the material world is his katana. By destroying those who stand in his way indiscriminately, without regards for the standards of mere mortal men like "morality" or "common decency" or "the law", he can fully disconnect himself.
>>
>>44378229
>why use a katana?

OP said to.

And why not use a katana
>>
>>44378068
1920's, character is an ex-yakuza member who fought in mainland china for local warlords. He was assigned by his warlord to an American businessman looking to manufacture drugs while looking for a warlord to become business partners with. After loyally serving the businessman the American insists he become his personal bodyguard, and the warlord accepts as a gift of friendship.

Now in new york city working as a mobster, he's surrounded by thoroughly catholic italians and irish-americans, but he has long since lost his faith as his family were killed for being christians in his native land of Japan.

How's that?
>>
>>44378068
"...and is an atheist. " "He has to be good to the point where you wouldn't be ashamed introducing him into your own game."

Can`t be done. If him not believing in gods is such a high point of this chars personality they're already an insufferable douche. Might as well change the headwear to a taco hat and call him nega-pope.
>>
He lives on a planet that is uninhabitable. The colony is in not too great shape so projectile weapons are banned in case you shoot an O2 scrubber or something. Given the coverage of surveillance cameras this is about the only law that gets enforced.

It often rains due to faulty weather controller systems. You need that coat and hat to stay even slightly dry.

Due to the inter-faith upheaval of the last 30 years or so the constabulary try to hire those without a side to choose.

Your parents were from the Baltic Confederancy.

You lost your wife and kids in the uprisings. You try not to let it interfere with your professional life. You are a Lawman and that is that.

You don't have much faith in the government but you didn't have much in the last one either. Politics is, you often say, eternal.

Despite it all you are a surprisingly competent and fair Lawman
>>
>>44378418
>Might as well change the headwear to a taco hat and call him nega-pope.
I'd allow that.
>>
>>44378418
I don't see why the character couldn't just happen to be an atheist without it being a central part of their personality that they talk about all the time. Maybe it doesn't come up, or is mentioned in passing at some moment when it's relevant for whatever reason.
>>
>>44378395
OP said no actual japs, he gotta be caucasian
>>
>>44378418
Tooshie tussled christfag detected
>>
>>44378473
Ah fuck. Didn't see that.

Alright, same deal, but his parents were missionaries from Sweden who became fugitives due to their religion. He became so friendly with the businessman due to his ability to speak English.
>>
>>44378229
Because he exists in the Shadowrun universe
>>
GURPS

Someone really gonna call me on having a katana and a fedora when the party also has a sentient toaster shooting ghost-toast at people? I don't think so.
>>
>>44378068
WWII vet waging war on the mafia after their arson of a business that refused to pay protection money resulted in building fire that killed his family and friends. His IJA officer sword bringback is the only weapon he has, being in storage at the time, and he continues to use it to throw suspicion off of him as the mob believes they're being attacked by something called the "yakuza."
>>
He would work out pretty well in Unknown Armies.

Play some euphoric edgelord who got mixed up in the Arcane Underground trying to prove to someone that gods and magic aren't real.

The katana is just your standard variety wall ornament that he's using as a weapon because he's gotten himself into deep shit and this is the closest thing to a weapon he has.
>>
>>44378135

One and done
>>
>>44378068
He's an urban adventurer, who wears a lot of weird clothing because it has useful magical properties. He also wears a burlap sack, a pleated schoolgirl's short skirt, fishnet stockings and combat boots.

He looks like a clown, but he's fireproof, can see 5 seconds into the future, command the loyalty of rodents, and strike down oathbreakers in a single blow.

He's an atheist because, if you lived in a world where dressing like a twat gave you superpowers, you'd start to doubt the existence of a sane and caring God, too.
>>
>>44378229
>Why use a katana?
It was the weapon of the man who killed his family. Since it ruined his life he will make sure it never ruins another.
>How does he not die?
Competent defense skills, tactics and bullet proof vest.

Now my concept.
For shits and giggles lets say this take place in the early 2080s. Our setting is an isolated north western U.S. coastal town. A war with russia, through an invaded canada, has made for a more dangerous living area where soldiers sometimes break borders. Bullets are expensive for civilians because most are being bought up by the government straight from the factories. Our protagonist has trained in martial arts, including swordsmanship at his local dojo ever since he was about town. His parents decided he needed discipline after a few detentions in school and he stuck with it. With tensions between occupied canada and the united states growing most citizens are fearful of what will come. Our protagonist, now 26 and honorably discharged due after recieving a purple heart and not being in good enough health to carry as a full time officer, works as a security consultant for the town he lives in, often including himself in any mission because of his skill. He uses both his sword and gun based on how much ammo he has, how quiet he needs to be. He also has a horrible sense of fashion. He also happens to not believe in a religion.

Yes, you can wear a fedora without being a dumbass.

Yes, you can be an atheist without trying to destroy everybody else's faith.
>>
Tokyo Tom. Good-hearted bouncer for a prohibition-era speakeasy. Lean young man in the attire of the time (Fedora and all) who spent some time on a steamboat and picked up a katana for shits and gigs in Japan, and is dedicated to keeping his brother's speakeasy up and running and free of snitches so he and Bro can buy back the family farm.
>>
>>44378710
Also he may have come from a family that's religious in the way any rural family from early 20th/late 19th century would be, but due to having no spare time and a lot of hard work to occupy his thoughts when he was younger working on the steamboat, he just didn't have the time energy or drive to keep in touch with his faith, and at this point it's a non-issue to him.
>>
>>44378710
>Tokyo Tom
I love that name, it really sounds like the name of a 1920s gangster.

>Listen here, see. You's gonna pay up or else Five Finger Freddy and Tokyo Tom here's gonna make sure you's sleepin' with the fishes, see?

Interject Jazz hands according to taste
>>
>>44378765
Exactly the vibe I was going for - even if prohibition is from the 30's, not 20's.
>>
>>44378765
This makes me want to actually make a mutants and masterminds character idea I had called Lucky Lou, who just has absurd amounts of luck, and join a full gangster party.
>>
Cowboy sort of dude. Old man, actually. Just been around and seen lots of shit. Maybe a supporting role in a Tarantino movie.
>>
>>44378833
>Maybe a supporting role in a Tarantino movie.
Does he have a BIG BLACK DINGUS?
>>
>>44378796
Prohibition was from 1920-1933.
>>
>>44379004
Why were they the Roaring Twenties, then? I thought the 20s was all about banks rolling and champagne flowing. Flappers partying, that sort of thing.

Like, if I fucked up the date, I fucked up, but I thought the relative decadence of the 20s was one of the reasons for the drive for prohibition.
>>
>>44379081
No, massive rural/urban divide, anti-Catholicism, long history of temperance movements, and backlash against changing cultural attitudes were the reasons for Prohibition.

If the 80s were all about cocaine, then booze was the cocaine of the 20s. The 20s also had cocaine.
>>
>>44379081
The 20s were only "roaring" if you were part of the new, wealthy elite.

Prohibition came about because there were a lot of working-class men drowning their sorrows in booze, then going home and beating their wives. Feminism has its roots in this period, as early feminist campaigners pushed to get alcohol banned to try and curb domestic abuse against women.

It didn't work, mind you, mostly because the campaigners attacked the symptoms of the problem (working class people drinking away their depression) instead of the cause (massive deregulation of business giving wealthy capitalists free reign to shaft their workers as much as they liked).
>>
>>44378068
Hiro Protagonist. Done.

>He also has to be Caucasian.

Shit.
>>
>>44379190
First-wave feminism died down during this period, it's roots were more than a century older.
>>
>>44379173
>Anti-Catholocism
Whut? I don't see how that relates to prohibition (then again, my American history isn't exactly stellar).
>>
>>44379190
So would both rich and poor girls get into the clothes, music, and social trends that made up flappers? Or was this just rich girls, or just poor girls?

And so basically, the rich were drinking and partying in the 20s in spite of prohibition because their wealth made them untouchable?
>>
File: archie-bunker.jpg (64KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
archie-bunker.jpg
64KB, 1200x675px
>>44378068

Eh, if this guy had fought in the Pacific rather than Europe, he would've had a katana in his basement with the war souvenirs, rather than a Luger.

He's Protestant, but only for the "LOL ignorant anti-Catholic" lulz.
>>
>>44379272
If you ask for my two cents, it was probably kind of like how everyone who tries can get their hands on some XTC despite it being super illegal even in countries with very lax drug policies. At almost every party worth going to, there is a guy who knows a guy who can hook you up with some.
>>
>>44379232
Conservative Protestantism during that time period, and still to some extent, was heavily anti-booze and prohibition tied heavily into nativist narratives about the Irish and Italians which in turn was a part of the rural/urban divide as most foreigners concentrated in the cities.
>>
>>44379300

Yeah, the general understanding is that Prohibition made booze *more* accessible on all levels, not less. It also made organized crime richer and more powerful.
Which may have been the intent, given that the local political machines have always been run by gangsters of various sorts.
>>
>>44379300
Yeah, I think this guy gots it. Sort of a wanting to be like the super stars thing people always wanted to do, no matter their standing.
>>
>>44378068
The entire setting is a mash-up of film noir and samurai movies. Trenchcoats, fedoras, and katanas are all standard. This one character just so happens to be an atheist because religion isn't terribly relevant to the plot.
>>
Set in an alternate history setting pretty similar to the man in the high castle, a vigilante whose family were murdered by the kempeitai. The katana was the sword they were killed with.

A little edgy, but it was thd best I could come up with off the top of my head.
>>
>>44379272
Yes, much in the same way that rich and poor girls get into clothes, music, and social trends. It'd be easier back then, as you didn't have to brand whore as much.

And everyone was still drinking during the twenties, between bootlegging, homebrewing, exemptions in the law, and massive borders with countries without Prohibition it wasn't hard to find booze if you put some effort into looking. If you weren't a frequent drinker you could make a large, pre-Prohibition buying spree last for years.
>>
File: 32a2cc2d29d313ab087e566d433b4a12.jpg (761KB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
32a2cc2d29d313ab087e566d433b4a12.jpg
761KB, 960x1200px
>>44378068
Nothing you listed actually impacts a character's personality or story. There isn't really any challenge here, you just need to take a good male caucasian character and give them a katana and a fedora, then off-handedly have them mention they're an Atheist at some point.
>>
>>44378068
No alterations are needed. In my game (like the real world) there is no such thing as god. Religion is an outdated concept that no one supports. Being good doesn't require talking to an invisible sky wizard.
>>
File: fedora [KNOWLEDGE]_1.png (165KB, 313x415px) Image search: [Google]
fedora [KNOWLEDGE]_1.png
165KB, 313x415px
>>44379551

It was only a matter of time.
>>
>>44379551
Talking to an invisible sky wizard doesn't preclude being good, either.

And I say that as an atheist myself. I'm just not an asshole about it.
>>
>>44378068
Fuck this is easy in Shadowrun

Make a grizzled old street samurai with a katana and a cynical outlook on life. The only reason he where a fedora is because it once belonged to a fellow runner who didn't make it. Hell he hates hats.
But he don't go tipping neither.
He's a grizzled guy, so "m'lady"-tier bullshit is out. And he's a cynical guy who's lost faith, not a cringy nu-atheist so he doesn't have to remind people every fucking time God, religion, or even the slightest hint of spirituality comes up.
>>
>>44379623
We were so close, weren't we?
>>
File: 1446901551439.jpg (225KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446901551439.jpg
225KB, 900x1200px
>>44378120
will help, currently trying to build a folder
>>
File: 1446887781310.jpg (81KB, 400x473px) Image search: [Google]
1446887781310.jpg
81KB, 400x473px
>>
File: Animefedora.jpg (97KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
Animefedora.jpg
97KB, 850x478px
The definition of a tsukumogami is “an object that has reached their 100th birthday and thus become alive and self-aware”. The boy is carrying around two of them - a tattered fedora hat and an old but well-kept sword in a new sheath - who he claims have looked after him since he was young. The two objects say they knew the real gods of this world long ago, and the ones we have now are just pretenders. They have an important mission for the boy to carry out.
>>
>>44378068
Depends on the setting. Give me any setting and I can explain "all" of it.
>>
File: 1450625796456.jpg (60KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450625796456.jpg
60KB, 540x720px
>>
File: 1450626465128.jpg (129KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1450626465128.jpg
129KB, 640x640px
>>
>>44380024
Aww, cute. His mom took the pic for him.
>>
>>44380007
Nobilis.
>>
File: 1450624520822.gif (2MB, 624x335px) Image search: [Google]
1450624520822.gif
2MB, 624x335px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRMNwq3ehFc
>>
>>44380060
Weeb or not, that shit ain't easy. Must have practiced it a lot.
>>
File: 1450621609072.jpg (44KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
1450621609072.jpg
44KB, 500x435px
>>
>>44380060
He should do something about that missing kid and those rapes in Scottsdale.
>>
File: 1449452763346.jpg (151KB, 482x447px) Image search: [Google]
1449452763346.jpg
151KB, 482x447px
>>
File: 1450625924057.jpg (338KB, 1455x771px) Image search: [Google]
1450625924057.jpg
338KB, 1455x771px
have run out of swordsmen
>>
>>44378068
Loosen the requirement for a "katana" to "any Japanese sword", and take either a kodachi or a shoto/wakizashi. Character is an undercover cop/investigator on a space station, where guns are either hard banned by the governing faction or a really bad idea, because there are so many things on that station you don't want to accidentally shoot. He wears the fedora because someone he cared about told him he looked good in it, and his atheism is just a personal choice. Because it's not like you're contractually obligated to wave your non-belief in God in people's faces.

Bam.
>>
>>44380130
The missing kid is the Scottsdale rapist, obviously. It all makes sense.
>>
>>44380154
>Loosen the requirement for a "katana" to "any Japanese sword"
no.
>>
>>44380145
Oh look, Gargoyles!.
>>
Samurai jack, in disguise with his new detective robot friend looking for an Aku agent in a 40s film noir setting.
>>
>>44379420
This.
>>
>>44379371
Or religion can be relevant, but the protag doesn't believe in things like oni and yokai, which gravely effects his ability to save lives.
>>
>>44380164
It's not like anyone in these pictures knows the difference anyhow. Hell, most Japanese wouldn't know the difference.
>>
File: James Vega.png (474KB, 746x741px) Image search: [Google]
James Vega.png
474KB, 746x741px
Just make him some 6'4" beef mclargehuge buff body type with no neckbeard

That eliminates something like 75% of the cringe off the bat
>>
>>44378418

>If him not believing in gods is such a high point of this chars personality

The OP didn't suggest it was, he just said they had to be one.
>>
>>44380051
Easy. Typical fedora sperglord gets elevated by an Imperator. Sperglord's world gets flipped, turned upside-down and begins his journey of self-discovery into understanding. Becomes bonded to that which had been by his side when no woman would, forsaking bonds with mortals for items. Eventually he finds someone during his harsh journey of duty and self-discovery and devotes himself to her so fully she becomes an Archon, then bound as well.
>>
>>44379968
>>44379981
>>44380010
>>44380024
>>44380109
>>44380131
I kinda want a run a game where everyone is one of these guys and everything they believe is actually true.
>>
I actually did this in a superhero game recently. Here's the latest member of our teenage super-team: Edgelord!

Edgelord's got his powers when a friend of his thought it would be a good idea to curse him. The curse actually worked, but instead of making his life miserable, it got him possessed by a demon. He cut a deal with it, giving him control over it's powers in exchange for his "soul." Since he's a devout atheist, he didn't really think that it matters very much what he does with something that doesn't exist.

Edgelord's powers are teleportation, and the ability to psychically manifest a katana. His teleportation does not require line-of-sight, but does require line-of-effect, and a space of a few inches. He can teleport through bars, but not through a glass window. His psychic katana is a hard construct, and he can change it's length at will.
>>
File: Transformers.jpg (65KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
Transformers.jpg
65KB, 736x490px
God is a malevolent artificial intelligence who causes life on earth to suffer for its own entertainment. Robot angels from outer space possess edgy American teens and give them the power to transform into S.A.M.U.R.A.I. mechs to fight the agents of Y.H.W.H. and their evil. When the teens aren't transformed, the angels disguise themselves as items of clothing - e.g. watches, hoodies, hats.
>>
>>44378068
Fallout setting, he was just an average joe farming Tato's in new Reno until his wife, a Jet addict ran foul of some Yakuza. He tried to fight them off, but he was just a farmer and they were trained killers. They broke his legs and left him to die, and sold his wife and children to slavers.

Since then, he has become a vigilante, killing raiders, gangers and other distasteful 'criminals' he comes across. He models himself as a private detective, and wields the Katana of the first gangster he ever killed. To this day he is still searching for his family.

Oh, and he doesnt believe in God.
>>
>>44378336
He has to be Caucasian, not some half-Jap.
>>
The request is inherently flawed: a gentleman doesn't wear a hat indoors.
>>
>>44379420
On one hand, this guy's sword is an iai-to, not a katana. On the other hand, even people who know the difference don't give a shit.
>>
>>44380145
I almost thought the third one from the right looked okay, then I noticed the antenna beanie.
>>
>>44378229
His family was killed by the Yakuza over his gambling debts, he shot the man who did it and he dropped the sword but managed to escape.
Now he wants to "return" his sword.
>>
>>44380254
Isn't he an atheist though?
>>
>>44380536
Second and third from the left look alright in the context of the 90s.
>>
>>44380286
So Fedora: the Tippening?
>>
>>44380286

Here, have fun, and never say fa/tg/uys don't make anything worthwhile.
>>
>>44381036

Also, a second book for Japanese adventures.
>>
>>44380918
>>44381036
>>44381108
I was thinking something like Delta Green except all the inevitable, sanity eroding monsters are people who expect you to act like a normal person, but this is gold. Thanks.
>>
>>44378068
Challenge accept.
1920's era british ganger, would have been a neonazi if this were present day. Fedora because that's the current fashion, trenchcoat because its fucking wet all the time.
Robs a Japanese foreign businessmen visiting London, happens to have a gift intended for the conclusion of a deal.
Has no idea what it's called, just thinks is a big knife. If it breaks he just uses it as a slightly shorter big ass knife. Has no idea how to take care of it. Refers to it as his "chink knife" because he refers to all asians as if they are chinese.
Doesn't even think about religion, thinks its retarded. If he had to be in a church he'd probably just pocket the donations.
>>
>>44378068
literally just make him exactly the kind of bad parody you're thinking of and then throw in that he does all of this because he was actually raised in a coven where neckbeard culture isolated and thrived, resulting in a youth who wears all the traditional garb, wields traditional weapons, and adheres to his religion, but because it is his culture, not because he actually thinks its the coolest shit ever.

>follow up vicious fight with gnolls
>sheaths his katana
>*tips his fedora to his fallen foes*
>"Are you praying?"
>"We don't really do 'praying' where I'm from. It's more a sign of respect."

literally a casual neckbeard that you can't dislike because he's actually a very chill person living in an autistic culture.
>>
>>44380670
So character growth isn't allowed? I thought this was a RPG character, not an 80's action hero.
>>
>>44378068
Shadowrun.

Done.
>>
File: con mc.jpg (24KB, 312x462px) Image search: [Google]
con mc.jpg
24KB, 312x462px
>>44378068
Connor Macleod from Highlander, in a fedora.

Got a harder question?
>>
>>44378068
Modern Day setting
Dude's family is from a clan of demon hunters
He wears the trench coat because its the only way to hide all his demon hunting tools.
Somewhere along his genealogy, is part Japanese.
He HATES that the only weapon that can kill a demon is with his family's katana. He knows he's a walking caricature but he doesn't really have any choice.
>>
>>44378068
Everyone's downplaying the atheism. But really, you could have that be important to an interesting character, it would just have to be well done...

Jose was a confirmed atheist and humanist. He studied international development in his undergrad, but got fixated on the fact that most charitable development work is done by religious organizations, and that religious people give more to charity than atheists. He didn't know why that would be and he wanted to, so he went into anthropology for his master's degree and got permission to do his thesis on the role of religion in international aid work. He spent two years to that purpose living in African villages following the priest on his daily rounds.

He's a bit of a loner and into physical fitness, he wasn't into African dance, but he saw a Katana for sale when he went into a market and decided to teach himself Kendo. When a bunch of rebels with machetes came through, he dealt with them and became something of a local hero.

He wears the fedora because the sun is murder without a hat, and a cowboy hat is too much of a cliche for an American to be wearing.

How'd I do?
>>
>>44378710
>>44378551

There's some actually excellent character ideas in here.

Anyways, for mine I'm thinking an old, 40-50 year old dude. Cop from a big city that got transferred to a backwoods town in Wyoming, Texas, or Alberta(you get the idea). Wears a loose suit, unbuttoned usually, and an actual decent fedora. Sticks out like a sore thumb in the cowboy town he was transferred too.

Picked up the katana from a case he worked on against the Yakuza in his past.

He has a lovely wife and a 19 year old daughter. His religious views shouldn't come up, but he just happened to be raised in a nonreligious household.
>>
>>44381322
I like this so much.
>>
File: iron lung.jpg (62KB, 620x471px) Image search: [Google]
iron lung.jpg
62KB, 620x471px
>>44378811
My 1920-1940 M&M character idea is a guy called The Iron Lung. He's basically Iron Man, but if he leaves the suit, he dies of polio.
>>
the cleric loses strength while he is in the party due to his lack of faith
>>
>>44379420
Anon I will love you forever for this post.
>>
Shadowrun generic Street Sam. Knowledge (early 20th century movies).
>>
>>44383444
But does he wear a fedora?
>>
>>44378068
so this gay white guy came out to his adopted parents who were accountants for the yaks. Spent his whole life in the church and learning the ways of bushido. His parents are told to disown his ass but refuse. They are killed by the yaks in the church he grew up in and the priest cover up for the gangsters. Now ready to kill he uses the weapons of his father.

set in post ww2 japan.
>>
>>44382924
That's how I would handle the religion aspect as well
>>
>>44378068
How about a regular neckbeard that has trained in his basement until he got good?
What's wrong with that?
It's a recognisable yet original character with real characteristics and vices. Boom.
>>
>>44387028

This. This is standard attire in Shadowrun.
>>
Has anyone mentiones rawshak or whatever his name was?
The ginger dude from watchmen?
>>
>>44380060
That's actually pretty cool.
>>
>>44387028
Street Sam Spade
>>
File: I googled samurai film noir.jpg (315KB, 580x823px) Image search: [Google]
I googled samurai film noir.jpg
315KB, 580x823px
>>44378068
He couldn't believe it, but Metsuke Max missed his smoky old apartment in Chicago. Its beat-up sofa and straggled drapes didn't seem so bad any more. The slouching whiskey bottle hidden under his desk was a charm he'd never appreciated 'till he'd tasted this rice-wine crap. Besides, there weren't many ninjas in the windy city.

He spat blood. It stuck to the one of the plain tatami mats these Nips seemed to love so much. He rushed to his knees and shoved himself behind a suit of Sam's dingy armour and reloaded his crossbow. He heard the tell-tale dink! of shuriken against lamellar. Five, he thought to himself. One more and--

Dink! The ninja was out of ammo. Max knew you could only fit six shuriken in one hand. He rolled out from his hiding spot and cracked off a bolt at the masked bastard. It hit his shoulder with a thunk, and the man was down. Max threw his crossbow to the side and grasped his katana with steady fingers. He placed a sandal'd foot on the ninja's back and pointed his sword at the assassin's face.

"I want to know who sent you. We can do this the hard way, or the very, very easy way." He pressed the blade against the ninja's head.

"No! You'll never get it out of me! I will not dishono--

"Easy way it is, then."

Max bent down and twisted the bolt into the guy's shoulder. He let out a shriek of pain.

"N-no, I won't tell, I won-- aaagh! Okay, okay, I'll tell you mister. It was Mistress Y--

There was a flash and a bang, and Max was thrown across the room. He got up, dizzy, and spat. He ran over to the ninja, but it was too late. A large hole gaped out of his head. He looked up. A masked face ducked out of site. Max swore and ran after it. There was only one bitch who could have done this, and his client would not be pleased. Well, mister Nobunaga would just have to deal with it. Max raised his hand to his hat, tilted its brim over his eyes, and ran on.
>>
>>44380483
Yeah, I doubt that.

An iaito is a special type of training sword without a cutting edge used to practice iaido (art of the draw).

A katana is any japanese-style sword longer than a specific length. So the shinken (the sword with a cutting edge used by practitioners of iaido) is a special type of katana.

It is also very unlikely that Johnny's sword would lack a cutting edge, seeing as how he needs to protect the Jellyfish Pirates with it.
>>
>>44390113
Longer than a wakizashi but shorter than a nodachi
>>
>>44378068
Due to a culture clash in the late 1790s, Imperial Japan (leading the technological world at the time prior to the second Abastrazi) has expanded their trading capacities to all corners of the world. After the complete control of Indonesia 1782 generals around the world started to revise their armaments in Japan's image. Following the tradition of Tsunzi militia and their guerrilla tactics the US broke out into another civil war fueled by the influence of Japanese missionaries.
The US dwells into a deep state of racial, and religious, tension. After western societies integrated with the Japanese market more thoroughly Katanas became a common place weapon, even in the US. The western world took up the entertainment and fashion industry into a direction of obscurity bringing us to Trenchcoats and Fedoras.
Following the more radical divide of the early 1910s local forces are prone to the killing citizens under their protection, the common baton is replaced with the Katana after the mass production of electric powered flareguns lead to every denizen having the means of inflicting great harm when their devices are manipulated.

You, like the other players of your party, are all common officers of the law during the Prohibition of 1922. You are casually atheist, just as your parents were. You've never had to kill a man, but you have been stabbed on duty. You have been working for nearly 7 years as part-time pest control and police officer.

I would be ashamed to play in this setting, not really for the character
>>
>>44378068
Play it straight bro.

Any modern setting.

He's a greasy neckbear that has no sense of fashion and a warped perception of gender roles. He comes across as trying to be a bit brooding, but uses over-the-top and or older expressions and language regularly which causes most from being able to take him seriously.

He wears a fedora to show his allegiance to the masses that have been trampled over by organized religion and carries a sword to show he will fight for them. The trenchcoat? Hell, that's just to look cool.

He's strong, quick, and agile and when you get down to it, straight up deadly with that sword. He suffers from a serious case of foot-in-mouth, and in general seems to think he's much more intelligent than he is.

He's lonely, and claims to be looking for love. But between his slight odor, his ability to say just the wrong thing at just the wrong time, and the misguided (?) perception that he's only interested in sex ensure that he can't find a "fair lady" whom he may "treat right."

Play him as a sort of comic relief with the occasional badass moment in combat.
>>
>>44378191
Sam could probably pull the look off, to be fair.

I can dig it.
>>
>>44378191
Jet Stream Sam isn't Caucasian, though.
>>
File: Detective-with-smoke-flipped.gif (97KB, 490x399px) Image search: [Google]
Detective-with-smoke-flipped.gif
97KB, 490x399px
>>44378135
A World War 2 vet. Crawled through the jungles of the Pacific Theatre, seen a lot of good men die, and lost what little faith he had in God and his heaven n a muddy foxhole, where he lay for a whole night next to his dead best friend as the japs fired off every last artillery shell they had left out of desperation.

Oh, he was glad to kill in the coming offensive. No death could satisfy his bloodlust. He volunteered to charge the command bunker, even- he wanted the japs' top dogs to suffer, he wanted revenge, no matter on whom and how- only to find the Japanese commander with his sword buried deep in his own gut, writhing and bleeding out in pain to avoid the shame of being captured alive.
He awoke, like one would from a drunken stupor. The enemy commander has put himself through a worse pain that he could even conceive in his visions of revenge, an agonising death, just to claim a moral superiority that mattered little to his enemies and even less to the doomed empire he was serving. It was a wake-up call, a light shined on the utter madness of it all.

He took that sword. A reminder of what happened, and a reminder of how pointless seeking revenge is. He took it from that bunker, and he took it from that island, and finally, he took it home to the States when the whole business was finished with the fiery death of two cities- when America's thirst for revenge was sated at last.

It was hard getting used to Frisco again. He couldn't get back into the swing of things, the hard-working man's life, and took up the private eye business- the one business when no one cared how many whiskies you had today, and where having that jap sword- katana it's called, apparently- hidden in your coat made for an asset, and not a liability.
It may be not as far-reaching as a gun, but if some thug thinks to knock the curiosity outta you in a dark alley, you bet it'll put a stop to their ideas with far less noise and hubbub.
>>
>>44391016

I like it.
>>
>>44391016
Bueno
>>
>>44378068
Isn't saying this is a challenge the same thing as saying that thinking of a black person not committing a crime is a challenge?

If you were joking, I'd not care at all, but you said you're serious.
>>
>>44391205
>fedora-tipping weeb detected
>>
>>44391016
Fund it.
>>
Very Early 20th century. He's an ex soldier, a veteran of the Russo Japanese War. He managed to survive early trench warfare, came home with a shrapnel wound, a medal, and a Japanese officer's sword. The war showed him how weak Russia was under the Czar, and made him lose his faith. Since he left the army he's been somewhat of a radical, studying the teachings of Marx. He's been in a few scuffles and the sword helped him fight off a Cossack when the Czar's men raided a communist meeting place. He knows change is coming, and when it does, he'll do his part.
>>
File: logo.gif (11KB, 549x210px) Image search: [Google]
logo.gif
11KB, 549x210px
>>44391016
>>44382613
>the jap officer commits sudoku
>his assistant cuts his head off
>our hero kills the assistant
>suddenly lightnings everywhere
>he came home and started his private eye business
>got shot by crooked cops
>woke up in the alley to suddenly realize that there are no wounds
>in the end, there can be only one
>his name is Johnny Highlander

HERE WE ARE

BORN TO BE KINGS

WE'RE THE PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE
>>
>>44391425
>we're the princess of the universe
>>
>>44378068
>Any setting is allowed

Abel empire native, technician that works for dark sun (hence fedora and suit PLUS trenchcoat).
>>
>>44379997
That's pretty great
>>
File: sweat drops.png (22KB, 233x353px) Image search: [Google]
sweat drops.png
22KB, 233x353px
>>44378600
>a pleated schoolgirl's short skirt, fishnet stockings
W-what magical properties do those have? He'd need a pretty good reason to wear stuff like that, r-right
>>
>>44381322
I like this a lot, was thinking something similar. Honestly, if you just remove the narcissism & bad hygiene from the stereotype and ramp up the naïveté so that he idolizes samurai (and katanas) because he thinks they were genuinely good people for helping other people or something and you have a rather silly but altogether likable character, I'd think
>>
File: pepe.jpg (39KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
39KB, 420x420px
John Tonclay was just a boy when his plane crashed into the middle of the Amazonian rainforest, killing both of his parents. The only other survivor of the crash was a high-ranking member of the Japanese yakuza who, although, crippled, cared for John in the immediate aftermath of the accident. When wild apes came upon the crash site they killed the gangster, but adopted John into their own ranks - but not before he had taken the yazuka's ancestral sword, and the fedora hat of his own father, as reminders of the civilized society he had left behind. Now raised by the forest animals as one of their own, ignorant of the gods and churches of mankind, John polices the wilderness and fights off the intrusions of logging companies and violent hunters.
>>
>>44390018
holy shit
did you write this, or was it from something already?
>>
>>44380412
Nobody said he had to be a gentleman.
>>
>>44390018
accidental time travelling private dick?
>>
File: nick valentine.jpg (130KB, 1428x804px) Image search: [Google]
nick valentine.jpg
130KB, 1428x804px
>>44378068
Immortal from the 1930's. He was a detective, and he's a little eccentric so he never kicked the trench coat/fedora style. He picked up the Katana from the leader of a Japanese death cult. He likes using it cause it's cool, but he's kinda crap with it. Thankfully, his regenerating healing factor covers the fact that he gets shot so much.
He was never particularly religious, and living through most of the horrors of the 20th century made him realize he was pretty much an atheist. He's not a dick about it, but he's pretty blunt with people who try to proselytize or ask him about his religious beliefs.
He drinks too much and he talks like pic related.
>>
>>44378600
>wears clothes because they give him magic powers
>includes pleated skirt and fishnet stockings and combat boots

I remember that character from a write up of someone's Heroes Unlimited game. He was an NPC iirc
>>
File: 1411357237221.png (59KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
1411357237221.png
59KB, 612x792px
A gunless 1930's where the mob and crime families adopted Bushido. Just put my cheque in the mail, I'm out.
>>
The fedora is actually a stranded alien lifeform who formed a disguise of a white Caucasian male underneath itself, because he assumed this is most "default" form of life on earth, using a sword because it's actually a most vital part for his lost spaceship. Because he is an alien, he don't know earthling's gods and don't care about them.
>>
>>44378068
Okay. I create a weeaboo fedora guy and play him straight in a zombie apocalypse where he retains his old gear because he's clinging to the trappings of his old life and because the katana is a professionally hand made one that cost his parents a whole lot of money. The fedora is a sort of comfort object because he's autistic. He depends heavily on the rest of the group for his sanity and to basically make a lot of decisions for him. Fairly dependable because he is less likely to be rattled by zombies than other people, but gets intensely anxious in social situations. Grows steadily more comfortable with the new world and his role within the group.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.