[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you play your tabletop RP's in any place other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: RPG-2009-Berlin-2.jpg (276KB, 1000x749px) Image search: [Google]
RPG-2009-Berlin-2.jpg
276KB, 1000x749px
Do any of you play your tabletop RP's in any place other than someone's house?

Anyone have any experiences with playing in unusual locations?

How do you feel they impact your experience with the game?
>>
if it's a new group you usually do it in a public place, 90% of the it's a local game store which has tables and stuff.
>>
I play in bar/pub on a regular basis with the local group that organises games.

It's a pretty cosmopolitan city so the place is a bit hipsterish to begin with. Most of the people there are old men but we have the quieter end of the bar pretty much to ourselves unless it's busy.

Really nice craft beers and absolutely top quality food as well that always helps things.

The staff there are all great and get what we're doing but once in a while one of the guys will ask us what exactly we're doing. It's sorta confusing to explain but they're always well meaning.
>>
>>44307135
>Great it's those weirdos again.
>>
>>44307315
Probably, yeah. You can always tell it's a game about to start when suddenly 5 or 6 guys with obscure reference t shirts, ponytails and beards walk in and order a pint within 20 minutes of eachother.
>>
When it was warmer, my group used to play in the park. Playing outdoors is great if there's no wind.

My group all insists on waiting for me to invite them over, for some reason we can't play at any of their places. I still haven't figured that out...
>>
There's a place near my home area that is a mix of bar and game room. They have several small side rooms for RPGers and a lot of board games. We go there if no one has the home available.

I tried gaming at the park a couple of times but it's too much of a bother. The wind moves shit around all the time and the normies stop to look at us nerds every five minutes.
>>
>>44307039
I mostly play at my University where my RPG society books rooms for our members to play in.
>>
>>44307039

Church basement. Just because the Activities Director likes pointing & laughing at the fundies.
>>
I used to do the local waffle house in the middle of the night. Their night staff were pretty awesome and accommodating to us, heck even let us sneak in some alcohol on a slow night once.

YMMV depending on the folks there, but a lot of graveyard workers are pretty chill and don't mind some activity (and tips).
>>
>>44307039
I've only played in people's homes and game stores.

My old group used to play (before I joined) at Denny's and at Taco Cabana.
>>
>>44307039
>table not round or square
>GM not seated at the head of the table
what is this faggotry?
>>
Yes
Online as none of my close friends are the sort to play TTRPGs, and the nearby people who play RPGs are morons

I did briefly play in a store. It was OK, strangers occasionally came by and commented on the game itself.
>>
File: anime slav squat.jpg (127KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
anime slav squat.jpg
127KB, 500x708px
>>44307039
i used to play at this site we called 'the spire'

some dipshit added a 3 story clock tower to our student union building, and would close the fucker in the summer. otherwise, it was an elevator shaft for the south side of said building too.

so, the one summer, we ran a campaign up there...it was a very metro feeling new piece of architecture, we brought drinks and played on the rather hard floor there. it was still fun.

occasionally some dolt would roll up the elevator and find the locked doors.
"they are closed for the summer"

game continued...
>>
>>44307039
I generally play at my LGS. I played at bar/restaurant one time, could not keep people focused on the game.
>>
>>44313888
He's in the king's spot.
>>
I used to play Pathfinder, and later Eclipse Phase, in an artist's cafe in Hongdae, Seoul.
>>
>>44313888

Easier to address each player than way - if he sat at the head and had to address down the table, the players at the bottom would find it harder to hear.
>>
>>44313888
As a GM I prefer to sit centered on a long edge of the table instead of at one end. Better visibility.
>>
>>44314114
Generally I find playing at bars to be alright, same with playing at your LGS. Normally at the pub I play at, we'll meet up, order some drinks and wait for people to arrive. We normally arrive about lunch time so people get a meal to eat and we'll just chat until everyone's done eating, and then we can play like normal.

Where I always try not to play at is people's houses. Especially if it's a long time GM, people will often start browsing if nothing's going on for them, go rake for food if they're good friends of the GM, get distracted and shit.

It's always good to have somewhere that's comfortable but not too comfortable for the players.
>>
Someone's place is always preferable, but we've had a couple of years' stint playing at a hipsterish cafe. Good food, drinks and snacks were always available, but kind of expensive.

We were approached by curious strangers (both gamers and non-gamers) a few times, but they were curious, not hostile.
>>
>>44307039

Taiwan and Korea are great for gaming.
You can play tabletop RPG's in bars over there.
You ever play D&D with an Irish guy and an Australian guy and their Taiwanese girlfriends in a bar by the river while getting hammered and punctuating all your sentences with the word 'cunt'?
You haven't truly lived until you've done that.
>>
I play at my work. We have a mezzanine with a conference table which seats 6 people comfortably.
>>
My friends I are all theater students. When no one's in our studio theater we use it for our games. Occasionally we set up a projecter for some extra battle mat stuff and project m. It's a nice space with great acoustics.
>>
When I was younger, we would play at the local pizza place. Most of our gaming group worked there on and off, so they would let us fold pizza boxes in exchange for free pizza.

We played Mage in the middle of the night in a park nearby. The IC game started in the park, which was fun.

Now we all have homes, so we play in our homes or LGS.
>>
>>44307039
Most of the time I play at my place or somebody's place. But I've GMd at conventions, in high school I've run a couple of games at class (a long time ago), in a bar close to out old LGS and in a community center.
But there's no place like home.
>>
File: l_meattrade.jpg (98KB, 1200x515px) Image search: [Google]
l_meattrade.jpg
98KB, 1200x515px
>>44307039
We've stayed a weekend at a cabin in the woods for some marathon D&D'ing. We don't really have time for that sort of thing anymore, but it was sweet a couple of times. Darkness and snow outside, a roaring fireplace inside; all night sessions of semi-horror D&D.

I've never played RPGs at bars/cafes, but I've played TCGs with some success. It really depends on the place; private rooms are great, public rooms not so much.
>>
We usually play at a club on campus.

Strangest place ever, someone's bed.

I feel a table is at least needed.
>>
Most of the time we play at our LGS which is happy to accomodate us. There is often a few games going on so it can get quite noisy, but it's still the best place for us to play.

We used to play in a pub which was... interesting. We could find a quiet corner to ourselves most nights but on busier nights there it was a little embarrassing. One player really gets into the RP and puts on a voice for his character so I could imagine the other patrons cringing at us. We also had a couple of drunk men try and talk to us and find out more about what we were playing. They were cool about it, most of them were just curious, but I was glad when we moved out of there.
>>
>>44315997
That sounds fucking glorious. A friend of mine visited Taiwan, he said it was awesome. I really want to go see it too.
>>
>>44307039
We sometimes play at Whataburger. The staff has gotten used to us at this point.
>>
>>44307039
>playing tabletop in public
l-lewd!
>>
>>44313888
Prefer round tables, though I've once done a game where it was a large hexagonal table, and I felt like sitting in the centre where there was a gap. Spinny office chairs win.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.