[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Wars General - 'The Sithmas Special' Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 356
Thread images: 41

File: at-at-sleigh_mid.jpg (765KB, 2550x721px) Image search: [Google]
at-at-sleigh_mid.jpg
765KB, 2550x721px
Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny), d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, Lego, lore and everything else Star Wars related

Previous Thread: >>>44266608

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>http://pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>http://pastebin.com/v77AhEFV
>https://mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault and the Star Wars LCG)
>http://pastebin.com/ZkpXpbJ1

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (Including d6 and d20/Saga)
>http://pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Miscellaneous Resources
>http://pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>https://mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

So you want to watch The Clone Wars (But You Don't Want to Watch the Whole Series)
>http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>http://pastebin.com/nXspTQRn
>>
File: Gammorean Swole full.jpg (3MB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
Gammorean Swole full.jpg
3MB, 2736x3648px
>>44278249
I see Booster finally got his paint done right, just in time too!

Have Gammorean Conan.
>>
Would a Jedi be able to predict the next thing their opponent is going to say?
>>
File: 1447725268121.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1447725268121.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>
>>44278536
With a fair margin of error, but yes.

Especially if they're an asshole coasting close to the darkside and full out scanning surface thoughts
>>
On watching TFA for the second time, here's my guess as to the events of the Vision

>Luke was training "a new generation of Jedi" (Han) implying multiple students. We know Ren was one of them
>Snoke shows up, turns Ren to the dark side, Ren turns several other of the students along with him. These become the Knights of Ren.
>They kill the other Jedi, among them Luke's wife, who may or may not have been the figure in the wide brimmed hat that got stabbed through the back
>Luke is crushed, decides to seek out the first Jedi temple to see what he did wrong
>Leaves his daughter on Jakku
>>
>>44278538
i can't hold it.gif
>>
>>44278616
>Especially if they're an asshole coasting close to the darkside and full out scanning surface thoughts
That's just how Joseph Joestar does his thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jomJWm0iapw
>>
>>44278622
Nice theory, I like it.

Any idea who the old guy at the start was?
>>
If we're going with the more "Infantry, ground units, and maybe spacetroopers and boarding parties" Daala as an explanation for her lack of Admiraling skill, should her "High Ranking Imperial Lover" remain Tarkin or should it be Rom Mohc?

Also, the Liegeus (The enslaved Holofaker/tinkerer/programmer) twist at the end of Planet of Twilight was fucking great
>>
>>44278710
When Poe refers to "General Organa" he says "General? She's always been royalty to me." which leads me to believe that he's from Alderaan.

Also, interesting note: The person who gets stabbed through the back during the vision has a hat that looks a lot like the one Fifth Brother from Rebels wears. No idea if this means anything.
>>
Post yfw Rey is Ezra's daughter
>>
>>44278729
It's basically a rice hat. Lucas was an OG Weeaboo and JJ knew that so he was likely making a nod to how much Japanese film (Kurowsawa espescially) influenced the original trilogy.

Same for filoni and the fifth brother.
>>
>>44278769
That'd a very surprising twist. Better than her being a skywalker.

Kinda like the idea of the rebels characters showing up in the movies in some form.
>>
>>44278895
>there will enver be an Old Man Kanan
>>
>>44278895
FUCK OFF, FILONI
>>
File: Alpha17-SWR50.jpg (592KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Alpha17-SWR50.jpg
592KB, 800x1000px
>tfw you only now realize that Alpha-17 is no longer canon. ;_;7
>>
>>44278960
John Edgestrander only had one good Star Wars comic and that was Agent of the Empire.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (174KB, 654x544px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
174KB, 654x544px
>>44278960
No, but we get a superior ARC Trooper.
>>
File: Arcs-in-action.jpg (666KB, 800x1362px) Image search: [Google]
Arcs-in-action.jpg
666KB, 800x1362px
>>44278969
You shut your whore mouth.
>>
File: sabine.png (46KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
sabine.png
46KB, 160x160px
>>44278938
>>
I just thought of a stupid idea for a clone character.

He was unable to do Order 66 things, partly because he was buried in broken droids and mostly because his left arm and right leg were buggered.

I just thought it up because a clone with an exo harness made of droid parts that he uses to walk sounds like a cool idea.
>>
>>44278983
CG manlets do not qualify.
>>
>>44278622
>Ren turns several other of the students along with him.
Is somebody going to have to rediscover the Rule of Two the hard way?
>>
>>44278710
Visual guide talks about who he is. Old scholar who had a lot of Jedi knowledge or something.
>>
So, i want to make myself a christmas gift and i'm considering X-Wing, i already played a couple games and a small tournament with stuff i borrowed from a friend and i did quiet well, i want to know what's some good rebel stuff is hould buy wich gives me the possibility to make a lot of good lists?
>>
>>44279120
>>44279120
I hope the new movies/ Snoke get rid of that anyways. It always seemed like the dumbest shit to me that Sith couldn't not cripple themselves for just long enough to defeat the jedi and the republic. I also think that it'd be pretty cool to have a cadre of sith instead of just 2.
Besides, Palpatine cheated anyways by using inquisitors and Vader had a whole string of secret apprentices.
>>
>>44279161
Core, of course. Doesn't matter which one, really. After that, I'd get Rebel Aces, and a Falcon if you can find one.
>>
>>44279164
It's only the bad guys being genre savvy for their own survival.

>"Evil always defeats itself? No matter if there's not enough evil to do that!"
>>
>>44279164
Well, the One Sith in Legacy reminded us why there was a rule of two in the first place, as they they made the same mistakes the old siths did.

Siths are naturally greedy and ambitious, and as a result other siths would become rivals in one way or another. We can guess one siths deal with rivals most of the time. So they kept backstabbing and crippling each other, and would always lose to the jedi and the republic because of that.

Bane was a big picture kind of guy, and didn't like that one bit. So when he killed all the others, he came up with a system that worked on the siths' ambitious and ruthless nature to make the siths stronger. One master to embody the dark side, plotting to destroy the jedi and take over the galaxy, and one apprentice to seek its power, learning everything he can from their master, surpassing them, killing them, and getting their own apprentice while resuming their old master's plots.
>>
>>44279164
Sheev killed nearly all of the jedi. Back when there were a bunch of sith, they never came close to that.
>>
>>44279207
But it happens anyways. That's why Vader kept trying to betray Palpatine. Palpatine had no issue throwing away Dooku. It seems like Snoke isn't even physically there to get backstabbed . I'm sure things like that or even just a no tolerance policy for betrayal from the higher ups could easily lower any risk posed. Plus, the benefit would be as many sith as you wanted to train. That seems like it'd be a good thing for an empire to have.
>>
>>44279223
But what's really lost if one sith manages to kill all the others as opposed to the only other? Seems like the only difference would be that if they stick to the rule of two afterwards, they're intentionally gimping themselves. By that logic, why not just the rule of one and let evil force ghosts/darkside force plot devices create more sith. I mean Anakin was apparently the product of imaculate conception. The universe seems to strive for some weird kind of balance anyways.
>>
>>44279253
It's SUPPOSED to happen anyway, the rule exists so the master will ONLY lose when outsmarted/overpowered by their apprentice who has legitimately surpassed them. If they had five appretices the 5 could gang up and kill the master before any of them were truly ready.
>>
>>44279292
Couldn't the apprentice just have five or ten apprentices themselves and do that anyways? Who says that just because the apprentice manages to kill them, that they're qualified to lead? The apprentice could manage to do it very early on and accidently lose tons of darkside secrets.
>>
>>44279305
The master needs to chose an apprentice who won't just abandon them to some third party disaster till they are good and ready.

Sure there's a risk they pick a dumbass who just gets something with a few turbolasers and bombards them from orbit, but they just have to minimize that risk at selection time.
>>
>>44279223

Why not just raise train your apprentices to be loyal or something? Makes more sense than 'I'm a treacherous dickbag, you should be too!'
>>
>>44279327
because chaotic evil = stupid evil.
>>
>>44279315
Seems like getting a couple somewhat talented apprentices at a young age, brainwashing them, keeping a lot of stuff hidden from them so that they need you, and playing them against each other is a much better way of handling things.

If Palpatine had done that, he might not have been alone in the throne room with Vader and Luke. He could have sent someone other than Luke's own dad to kill him.
There are pros and cons either way, but I think rule of two is a worse system especially given the current state of the empire.
>>
>>44279327
Because they'll inevitably become treacherous dickbags anyways.

The dark side is seductive and makes one lust for power. Eventually, thoughts like 'They always send you to do their errands. It would be nice to do what you want to do', 'They've become old. They can't teach you anymore.', and 'We did all the dirty work Why should they rule when the jedi are destroyed?' which then comes to a natural conclusion.

You can't advance much in the dark side if you're a submissive yes man with no passion or ambition. That's for inquisitors, so they stay weak enough not to become a threat.
>>
>>44279376
But if they have their own apprentices they can make them do shit too. Besides, the part where "the jedi and republic have been ground to dust" part should happen before they try to steal leadership. I think you're also conflating power and self determination. They could have completely loyal sith if they really wanted. How hard would it really be for the master to secretly add a biochip (or whatever it was they did for order 66) to prevent the apprentices from turning on them?
>>
>>44279408
Destroying the Jedi and the Republic is not the work of one lifetime.
>>
>>44279408
Because then they can 'cheat' in a sense. They can send the apprentice to kill or weaken their master for them, and not prove that they've earned the right to be the master. The sith likely weaken again.

Plus, if the apprentice gets their own, the master can take it as a sign that their apprentice plans to kill them soon and it's time to have their duel, with the victor being the master and getting a new apprentice.

To quote Sidious to Maul:
>You are no longer my apprentice. You have become... a rival!"
>Cue sith on sith violence.
>>
>>44279408
>How hard would it really be for the master to secretly add a biochip (or whatever it was they did for order 66) to prevent the apprentices from turning on them?
pretty fuckin hard m8. you really think a goddamn sith apprentice is gonna be down for some mysterious brain surgery just cause his master tells him to? and he's not gonna ever look into what it as about? or anything like that?
not fucking well likely
>>
>>44279478
You can recruit them as children. It's not like you couldn't just collect a bunch of force sensitive children, put them under, add the chip, and then train them.
>>
>>44279460
Palpatine pretty much did exactly that. It is the work of one lifetime if you are crafty enough.
>>44279472
I doubt a sith's apprentices underlings would be dumb enough to think they stood a chance against the head sith and they probably wouldn't want to throw their life away solely for their master's benefit.
But there is no inherent difference between that system and the current rule of 2 "Yeah we totally just have 2 guys. No secret apprentices here." system. The difference is how you deal with apprentices altogether. If you have two or more apprentices and play them against each other, they have their own apprentices, and you have an army loyal to you where they have no command other than the support you offer them you're fine.
You just keep them busy or plotting against each other. Hell, you could encourage their apprentices to plot against them.
>>
>>44279565
The Sith built a massive shadow empire of lobbyists, businessmen, corrupt politicans, criminals, and outer-rim warlords to set the stage for their takeover. Read Darth Plagueis.

That was NOT one lifetime of work by a longshot.
>>
>>44279627
Not a natural one, no. But I'm guessing Plagueis wasn't setting all that up just for Palpatine's sake. Palpatine himself lived to be 86 and I doubt he was about to die of old age.
>>
File: These Guns.png (230KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
These Guns.png
230KB, 720x404px
I've been watching through TCW again and noticed that the guns Bo Katan wields are practically identical to Sabine's guns in Rebels, barring the different animation styles

Family heirlooms perhaps? or maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree, they are space 1908's/1911's after all.
>>
>>44279716
Are those just textureless models?
>>
>>44279716
It took me forever to realize that "barking up the wrong tree" had nothing to do with tree bark, just like it took me forever to realize that "star destroyer" isn't meant to be read as "a thing that destroys stars".
>>
Are pre-movies stuff still canon or was also erased?

That means there is no Darth Bane or Revan? What a sad galaxy to live on.
>>
>>44280024
There is a Darth Bane, though I believe he's been tweaked a bit. Still the guy that started the Rule of Two though.
>>
So, to start Empire in X-Wing, is buying two core sets then eventually just buying one of each other ship a decent route?
>>
>>44280024
After the shit that TOR and Karpy-whatsisname did to Revan, I think it's safe to say that it's good that he's no longer canon.
>>
>>44280052
Yes
>>
>>44279716
They're not related.
>>
File: dragon-age-choices-970x0.png (745KB, 970x646px) Image search: [Google]
dragon-age-choices-970x0.png
745KB, 970x646px
Can we dream now with a new Bioware SW game?
>>
>>44280024
Darth Bane is still canon as the creator of the Rule of Two. Thank The Clone Wars for that.

But yes, the wipe was all games, books, and comics, not just the post-RotJ stuff.
>>
>>44280206
The Zarn Consortium isn't canon anymore too?
>>
>>44280206
Hey XWW, in Hidden Dragon chapter 10: Let me Live you had some TIEs J-turning, which i'm guessing is a typo. Either that or i'm waay off on my Star Wars dogfighting maneuvers
>>
>>44280642
Delta Squad was in TCW
Mandalorians were in TCW
Yellow lightsabers were in TCW
Darksabers were in TCW

So they're still canon?
>>
File: j-turn herbst maneuver.jpg (46KB, 550x431px) Image search: [Google]
j-turn herbst maneuver.jpg
46KB, 550x431px
>>44280673
I was going for the Herbst Maneuver (also called a J-turn). Yeah, it requires stalling in the real world, but I figure TIE maneuverability would let them pull off a decently convincing facsimile.
>>
>>44280642
>Rule of two
Is this really a thing?
Whats with Ventress and Greavous if it is?
Literally why?
>>
>>44280666
It's canon. It's not explicitly the same Zann Consortium we see in EaW but it did get a mention. I don't know how much of the Legends version was retained in the Uprising game, however.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zann_Consortium
>>
>>44280689
Yes, but only those appearances.

Delta Squad appearing in TCW does not mean that the Republic Commando video game is canon, it only means that Delta Squad exists.

Mandalorians existing in TCW does not mean that their entire history is canon again, only what we see in TCW.

The darksaber we see in TCW is only in TCW - it's never been shown elsewhere before that, and that's because it was originally planned to be a vibroblade before George decided that only lightsabers could block other lightsabers (yes, yes, we know that he's wrong what with Magna-Guard staves, but his point was that blocking a lightsaber with a metal weapon would look wrong).

>>44280715
Ventress was strung along with promises but was the rough equivalent of the Inquisitors - some modicum of training in the dark side, but never trained as a Sith.

Grievous wasn't even Force sensitive. He was just a dude with a grudge against the Jedi.
>>
>>44279120
They aren't Sith.

Fuck "the Rule of Two," anyways. It was shitty EU bullshit. The Empire has a ton of Inquisitors now in Rebels, all doing bad shit with the Force and lightsabers. Rule of two is a big number two that got flushed.
>>
>>44280745
Windu says "there's always a master and an apprentice" but you're right, the rule of two is garbage that was only for the Sith, and the Sith broke that rule a bunch of time.

The Knights of Ren and Snoke are clearly doing something different than the Sith and good for them, we don't need any more Darths.
>>
File: barf.jpg (21KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
barf.jpg
21KB, 500x334px
>>44280612
>Bioware
>>
>>44280745
Rule of Two was straight from George, it's first mentioned in TPM. The EU expanded on it, but that's it.

The Inquisitors aren't Sith, either. They're explicitly trained poorly, they use those spin-sabers as a way to make up for their lack of skills. Note that Kanan - who left off his training as a padawan, was able to beat the Grand Inquisitor once he focused. The Inquisitors are purposefully trained very little so they don't become threats or rivals to Vader and the Emperor.
>>
>>44280694
Oh. Never mind then. I thought it was a slip of the finger since J and K are right next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard. Guess i need to brush up on my dogfighting.
>>
>>44280694
>Yeah, it requires stalling in the real world, but I figure TIE maneuverability would let them pull off a decently convincing facsimile.

Yeah, I don't think a fighter that doesn't use wings and rudders for lift and control can even stall in the first place.
>>
>>44280779
>Rule of Two was straight from George
So was Jar Jar. So fucking what.
>>
>>44280612
The dream is more a nightmare, and yes, bioware is actually developing what will be a disappointment of a single player star wars rpg.
>>
>>44280837
I don't get why there's such a hate boner for Rule of Two. It's pretty clear that it's kind of just a guideline even in MUH CANON. Sheev breaks it a bunch, and so does Count Dooku and even Vader. In force unleashed. But breaking it can definitely backfire. For example, Palpatine trains Maul to help him kill his master but does so before he learns all his master's secrets, or for a canon thing Ventress poses a pretty big threat for Dooku and the gang after they betray her until she dies ;_;
>>
File: Pellaeon_absolutelydisgusting.jpg (66KB, 281x246px) Image search: [Google]
Pellaeon_absolutelydisgusting.jpg
66KB, 281x246px
>>44280858
>a disappointment of a single player star wars rpg
Why did it have to be Bioware? Why couldn't it have been Atlus or Intelligent Systems or any number of other halfway competent developers?
>>
>>44280858
>nightmare

Did Dragon Age 2 and the mass effect ending rape your daughter or something?
>>
>>44280902
Because it's dumb for one and nobody ever follows it in the shows or books or whatever, but the moment you write more than two Siths, idiot fans cry rule of two. Fuck it. Do what you want.
>>
>>44280912
>Atlus
>Ahsoka has just left the order, and she has one dream: to become a Corusant idol! But wait, she's never gotten a high school diploma! Follow her and her band of high school stereotypes +gungan mascot as they learn about growing up while sometimes venturing into the famous level 1313 to kill scum.
>>
>>44280947
I don't really think it's dumb since it prevents infighting, keeps people from killing their master til they have learned pretty much everything and keeps the eye on the prize, which is destroying the Jedi. It's when the goal is no longer about the ends and more about muh tradition that it becomes stupid, and that never really happens in EU or Legends, it's pretty much just the same grognards you mentioned. So like I said, treat as a good guideline that should be broken only with good reason.
>>
>>44280858

My only wish was for SWTOR to tank that company, but that never happened.

I tried getting into the forum RPs on its official forum back when that game was first announced.

Place was filled with Star Wars EU faggots AND Bioware diehards from before ME3...

The "hive of scum and villainy" quote can't even come close to conveying just how FUCKED that place was.
>>
>>44280949
>tfw you have to suffer through the Rosh social link
>>
>>44280997
>Star Wars EU faggots

Where do you thing you are?
>>
>>44281022
>do you even think our teachers are holding us back?
>>
>>44280949
I would play the fuck out of it and love it.
>>
>>44280949
What ruins prom?

Order 66
>>
>>44280989
It's stupid because they are always going to be at a disadvantage numerically. It's also stupid because a competent sithlord could have multiple apprentices and not get his shit kicked in. The problem isn't that sith in concept couldn't not kill each other for more than 10 minutes if you have more than 2 of them, the problem is writers who have a hateboner for anything that isn't rebels or jedi. Seriously, are you trying to tell me that Palpatine could be the chancellor of the entire fucking republic, mastermind both sides of the clone wars, while avoiding detection by the jedi, but he couldn't deal with more than one apprentice at a time?
>>
>>44280858
>bioware
>disappointment of a single player star wars rpg.

What? They fail sometimes at some points but overall they make good single player RPGs
>>
>>44280902
Number of Sith in TFA: Zero, unless you count Vader's mask

And yet idiots still cry "rule of two."
>>
>>44281111
>Seriously, are you trying to tell me that Palpatine could be the chancellor of the entire fucking republic, mastermind both sides of the clone wars, while avoiding detection by the jedi, but he couldn't deal with more than one apprentice at a time?
Oh, he most probably could, but why should he? He's already got shit well in hand without them.
>>
>>44280725
Oh cool for a moment i thought i would have to re-do all my game plan for EoE.
>>
>>44280989
>I don't really think it's dumb since it prevents infighting

Except it doesn't. At all. Palpatine tried to replace Vader with Luke right in front of him. Vader tried to get Luke to join him so they could kill Palpatine. And then Vader just up and killed Palpatine.

All it does is makes sure the Sith are always outnumbered. It's fucking bozo logic.

With the Knights of Ren, it seems like they're testing their devotion before giving them the big powers. Snoke says "let's complete Kylo's training" after he proves himself by killing his father, Han Solo. That's a much smarter way to do it.

Hell, having multiple apprentices makes more sense because, if one tries to overcome the master, the other apprentices will defend the master (because they want to be the ones that overcome the master). Apprentice rivalry makes way more sense. Rule of two is just a stupid cop-out for people asking "why are there not more darth vaders running around?"
>>
>>44281147
Because there were a lot of times it probably would have been nice to have them around. Maybe like during episodes 4,5, and 6. When Vader keeps failing at killing/catching his own son. If Palpatine could have sent someone else, that might've worked out a little better. He also would've how more, powerful agents he could send out to do shit. Maybe he gets a couple guys to try to track Yoda down or something. Vader and Dooku both seemed pretty useful to me. Having more than one of them might be nice. Especially when instead of being able to plot against you, they'd have to deal with the other guy first.
>>
Anyone scans of the new visual dictionary
>>
So, do we want to take bets on why Rey is so goddamn awesome with the Force, despite no training?

>Rey actually was trained as part of Luke's new generation, she was just the only one to not get killed or turned so Luke suppressed her abilities and dumped her on a Force-dead desert planet.

>Rey is literally a messiah chosen one that will blah blah blah lazy writing
>>
>>44281338
http://imgur.com/a/o7sKV

Not complete by any means
>>
>>44280949
>Ahsoka
>Implying Clone Wars era
The Rebellion era already has Chie, a robot girl (Guri), a Kanjiklub, bear people, and a smoking hot redhead who swordfights in a catsuit. And they can release a sequel to the Kinect game called Dancing all Knight.
>>
>>44281394
I'm guessing part 1 and also that she's probably Luke's daughter
>>
>>44281394
Was she really particularly awesome? She managed to resist getting mind probed, needed several attempts to get a mind trick off, then managed to outTK the whiny brat for Luke's saber.

I've got her pegged as being notably strong in the force, but all she really has to go on for how to use it is the old legends about the jedi and such. Also she's probably related to Luke or something.
>>
>>44281226
But in those situations they have extra acolytes or inquisitors. Before they kept it to 2 for stealth purposes since Sith resurgence is pretty much guaranteed war. They had to wait for all the manipulations to pay off before they start making themselves known. And if say Ventress had killed Dooku, then palpatine would totally have taken her on at least til he fully corrupted Anakin. But once he was on top, why even need more sith to plot against you? Just train a bunch of idiots with spinny swords to go harvest babies or kill off random jedi and if they die you can always find more.
>>
>>44281394

It's a pretty well established fact that once people learn about being able to use the force and actually take a second to focus on they can already do some crazy shit. Yeah, they need training to reach their full potential but they're able to pull off a lot right off the bat. In ANH, Luke is able to deflect blaster bolts while completely blind after taking a full fifteen seconds to 'believe' and then he one shots the Death Star without any targeting assistance by doing the same thing a couple of days later.

Also, what >>44281454 said.

>>44276885

The whole sequence of Finn and Han's infiltration of Starkiller base was problematic on a number of fronts and one of two things (the other being Finn and Poe's respective escapes from the downed TIE) that I feel should have a full overhaul.
>>
>>44281454
Well it might be an attempt to re-mystify the Force after midichloriens, with the dark side trying to impose their will and Rey being straight up helped by the will of the Force to oppose the dark side.
That's just a theory though.

Also, I'd peg him as and angry brat rather than a whiny brat. He was not an insufferable complainer like Anakin.
>>
>>44281454
She was using powers that took Luke three movies of training for him to even touch. She can be strong, sure, but this is like a naturally buff guy doing extreme parkour without actually knowing how.

On that note, I really hope that a partial explanation is that putting a plug on her powers let them build up for the past 30 years. So after using that build up in the final fight, the next movie will have her actually start off weaker.
I doubt it'll happen, but it'd be nice.
>>
>>44281554
Whiny may have been the wrong word yeah, but his tantrums were pretty good at demonstrating that he's a sub-rate pretender at best when it comes to being a proper darksider.
>>
>>44281402
Wait, do they really give a name and backstory to every single knucklehead we see in the movie? Seems unnecessary.
>>
>>44281632
That happened in every single movie before this, too.
>>
>>44281594
Still needed to finish is training, and we knew his lightsaber was an outdated design too. He was basically inquisitor tier this movie, and Caedus 2 will supposedly come back with some development next time.

Also, when can we stop using spoilers? I'm pretty sure /co/ did with some exceptions.
>>
>>44281478
Yeah, the rule of two is more about the endgame

Once the Sith have conquered the galaxy, it's a lot easier to maintain that empire if you only have two guys in the succession.

Otherwise you get an Imperial Remnant situation where every fuckhead with a lightsaber thinks he's the inheritor of the Sith Empire, and that's what fucked Krayt when he tried to pull that One Sith garbage.
>>
>>44281679
Well it has been only a couple days seems pretty considerate to at least close out the weekend
>>
>>44281711
One Sith was actually a pretty good idea since he just brainwashed all the other sith into basically seeing him as a god. Now his plan failed because 1) he stated actually trusting people which a sith shouldn't do and 2)there was essentially no way for their organization to survive his death. But yeah taking the hatred and passion bits but leaving out the objectivist every man for himself stuff worked at least for awhile.
>>
>>44279408
If you limit their ambition in any way, it limits their advancement as a Sith, because Sith are defined and empowered by their ambition and will. That's what the Dark Side IS - you put your desires, your ambition, in a position supreme to literally everything else.

Anything that numbs their ability to rebel numbs their ability to be a useful tool to you as a Sith Lord.
>>
>>44281589
>She was using powers that took Luke three movies of training for him to even touch.

Luke managed to pull off TK before having hit up Yoda for training, while dazed and stuck upside down no less. Rey was in a much more focused state when she did her pull.

The mind stuff gets a bit more nebulous, did Rey manage to countermindread Kylo or does the process leave your own mind open for the other to take a peek at if they can manage to not get overwhelmed by you?

As for the mind trick, that's probably more Luke didn't have any real chances to even try until he's been at least partially trained by Yoda.

This is of course leaving aside the obvious fact that filmmaking has evolved since the OT was made.
>>
>>44281766

>did Rey manage to countermindread Kylo or does the process leave your own mind open for the other to take a peek at if they can manage to not get overwhelmed by you?

Pretty sure that's actually canon

It's not mind-probing so much as it is opening an unwilling telepathic connection.

Normally the guy on the other end of the line doesn't know how to respond to that because they don't understand what you're doing, but I'm pretty sure similar scenes have happened in Legends content before.
>>
>>44278249
Just curious, but why isn't there a link to the Star Wars d20 books in the OP's for these? I've been trying to find those again but all that ever seems to be posted when I check is the Saga Edition stuff (which came after). I don't suppose anyone has a link to those?
>>
>>44281554
I don't know, he seemed to be more of a whiny brat to me. At least Anakin took a while to breakdown. Kylo Ren was having temper tantrums and whiny Vader-wannabe moments in the first movie.
>>
>>44281874
Yeah, he seemed more like an angsty teen going through a goth phase than a serious evildoer.
>>
>>44281874
Though with Kylo it was violent outbursts (though I don't think he had to do it for half a minute, and I remember getting into a minor argument as to whether Vader choked people only for failure and to prove a point to that one Moff, as opposed to being given bad news) whereas Anakin spent a good deal angsting about his emotions not approved by jedi, complaining about getting passed up for a promotion, and complaining about being a loner to the other jedi or some such thing.
>>
>>44281906
Though on one hand, we still don't know the exact catalyst for that 'phase' yet. could be a bit more justified, or at least handled better, than Vader's. Or it could make his outbursts look like he was feeling calm. We'll see.
>>
>>44281632
That's what makes it star wars and not any other random franchise.
>>
>>44281766
Rey's mind trick scene is a homage to the scene where Luke is in the wampa cave. In both scenes, you have untrained characters using the Force to get out of a situation. It doesn't work the first couple times, but eventually, they take a breath, calm down, focus, and find the ability in themselves to do the Force magic. I don't think mind trick is any more advanced than telekinesis. In D&D terms, mind trick is a first level spell.
>>
>>44281906
I feel like that's kinda what they're going for. He was good. He fell. His family is trying to redeem him. It's just how his family is. I think falling to the darkside is basically the Skywalker equivalent of a goth phase or the awkward teenage years or something, since ir runs in the family in the movies, EU, and now the new movie.
>>
Does anyone know where you can buy the visual dictionary for VII? Can't find that shit anywhere.
>>
Guys, guys, the movie is called The Force AWAKENS, strange out-of-the-normal things are going to happen in it.
>>
I'm pretty sure the stuff we see people do in the new film being inconsistent with what we have seen before is just Abrams not giving a fuck about keeping the setting consistent. He just doesn't seem to see that as important.

If you look at his other stuff, it's pretty much the same. Star Trek suddenly has teleporters way more advanced than TNG ones with pretty flimsy justification but starfleet keeps building ships which have been made redundant by the new technology. Lost and Fringe introduce random bullshit whenever they like. He just doesn't give a fuck about suspension of disbelief or playing 'fair' with the audience.

It's not just force abilities; the FTL in the new film is completely different to the old ones. Now you can jump right into a planet's atmosphere, making space fleets completely redundant and shoot death beams between star systems. Also, the new superweapon is a few billion times more powerful than the death star because who gives a fuck about sense of scale? For a guy who seems to be making a lot of sci-fi stuff, he really doesn't seem to like space: the galaxy feels smaller than asia if you can just use artillery to hit people on the other side.
>>
>>44278249
Sup, /swg/. I have a story to tell you. A story of the most difficult character I ever played and the most hilarious campaign I've ever been in.

So for the character, one day my friends and I were talking about the new FFG books, the prequels, and badass characters. At some point one of the guys says "man, it would be impossible to play a hung an as anything but comedic. The voice alone would break any Jedi or Smuggler concept apart." And after a moment I declare that I will take up that challenge

Fast forward a few weeks later to our first session and introducing Do Dar the Gungan Bounty hunter. At this point I prefer to let Do Dar speak for himself. These are some excerpts from the campaign

(I did Do Dar's voice deep and gravely while still trying to keep the accent)
>"Youssa be in big trouble. Foolish disrespectin' ma boss Tupacca da Hutt. Hessa bombad holorecorder a all Nal Hutta"

>"Dissa no regular droid. Hesss not be hack in' youssa ship or zappin' youssa leg. Hessa be filled with proton boomers. Now you get on youssa knees, and pray messa decide to take livin' bounty."

>At one point the party is tied up by slavers we were sent to stop
>Pretty much every character in the setting makes fun of a Gungan bounty hunter
>One of the slavers mocks a Gungan voice and says "You-sa in bad poo-doo"
>Try to break free
>Roll
>Triumph
>Manage to slip my hand out and grab my blaster
>"No. Messa am da poodoo!"
>>
>>44282867
Was the whole gravity well thing even present in the movies, or just EU fuckery?

Also it should be noted that it was han motherfucking solo doing 'is that even possible' tricks.
>>
>>44282867
I agree that Starkiller Base was the movie's biggest fault. Not what happens on the base mind you, but I felt nothing when it blew up those nameless planets as compared to when the Death star blew up Alderaan, Leia's home planet, right in front of her. It was just taking the Death Star, scaling it up, and adding it in without much forethought. Or just adapting the Galaxy Gun and changing most of the details.
>>
My group played through the EotE beginner game last night and had a blast! However, we kept confusing attack and defense rolls.

When a PC attacked with his blaster, I had him roll his skill in ranged (light) vs a pool based on their range as per the range bands table on page 205, with boost or setback dice to flavor. When a PC was being attacked, I rolled the green/yellow dice indicated in the PC's stat block and the player rolled the purple dice. Is this right? Constantly switching between green, yellow and blue vs purple, red and black got confusing and we weren't sure it was right. It also felt a little lopsided in the attacker's favor (two greens, a yellow and a blue vs two purples).

We also weren't sure if soak only applied once per turn or if it applied to every attack. For example, a stormtrooper minion group has soak 5 and most of my players could only do 5 or 6 damage, resulting in some very prolonged fights as each character did 1 damage to their pool of 15 health. Is this right, or should it have been 1 the first time then 5 the next?

I decided to make Trex a recurring villain tied into one of the player's backstories. I had him hiding near the Krayt Fang with some stormtroopers (who were looking for the junk dealer's R5 which decided to go with the PCs). Even though he got a surprise round, the party whipped his ass. He ended up threatening them with a thermal detonator and being blown off the Fang's entry ramp, losing a leg while the players bolted inside and took off. How can I make him more of a threat next time?

Also, general GM question: my players were really fixated on killing every last stormtrooper they encountered. How can I encourage them to, you know, run when they're outnumberd 3:1 instead of barely surviving a massive firefight?
>>
>>44282952
I think I once read that the 'no hyperspace in gravity wells' thing is a safety feature installed on hyperdrives to prevent from crashing as often among other things. Knowing the Falcon, it may be able to explain it as having that feature disabled or being able to toggle it off. I'm not sure though.
>>
>>44283058
Yeah that was my biggest peeve about the movie. There was no emotional connection to whatever bumblefuckus starsystem they blew up. In Ep.IV we have Leia's distress to latch on to as she witnesses her home planet go boom. In ep.VII we got a few glimpses of unknown people and then BOOM, no more star system.
>>
>>44282952
The escape from Hoth has to count for something, I'd think. If they were capable of entering hyperspace without having to confront the star destroyers, they would have.
>>
>>44283110
It is meant to be lopsided for attackers. Range bands are the primary deciding factor, that and finding cover. That being said, soak is to every individual hit, including if 2 guns are shot at once.

That kill everything mentality is hard to get rid of. I guess the only way really would be overwhelming odds and reinforcements.
>>
>>44283128
Yeah that was the only background thing that annoyed me, the Hosnian System was blown up. People think it was Coruscant and such because of the senate. The Republic's capital actually moves around after a few years which is held to a vote. Would have been nice to get a bit more info with that.
>>
>>44283243
That was also exiting, not arriving, which may or may not make a difference and we'll probably know because who cares how stuff works in star wars, as long as it looks neat.
>>
>>44283110
>my players were really fixated on killing every last stormtrooper they encountered. How can I encourage them to, you know, run when they're outnumberd 3:1 instead of barely surviving a massive firefight?
Stormtroopers are part of a military force. Have them start calling in reinforcements.
>>
>>44283252
>>44283338
>That kill everything mentality is hard to get rid of. I guess the only way really would be overwhelming odds and reinforcements.
Agreed. I kept a running tally of people they threatened, attacked or killed and determined how many troopers to throw at them based on that.

>they killed all three of Teemo's enforcers, even after one surrendered and they interrogated him
>they tried to extort Vorn for the HMRI, and when he insisted he was too scared to doublecross Trex they tried to kill him (luckily R5 was able to defuse the situation)
>they went in guns blazing to release the docking clamps, trying to stun the overseer to use as a hostage against the security droids while their hacker released the clamps, even though they did well enough on their stealth checks and I made it very clear no one noticed them come in
>they made absolutely sure to kill every security droid they encountered

I sent three squads of stormtroopers at them on their way to the landing bay, with one squad blocking their path and the two others on the periphery (one ready to move in and snatch R5). I thought they'd just bowl through the ones blocking their path, but they stayed to kill all of them and barely survived.

>Have them start calling in reinforcements.
I was afraid calling in reinforcements might TPK.
>>
>>44283338
Have them act as a military force.
>reinforcements
>armor assets
>airstrikes (A pair of TIEs strafing your position can REALLY get the point across that you should run)
>artillery
>>
>>44283333
Technically leaving a planet would be easier than arriving, though. Don't have to worry about getting the calculations a fraction of a number off and planting halfway inside the planet.

It's something to nitpick, because "as long as it looks neat" is a big problem with star wars movies.
>>
>>44282951
>"No. Messa am da poodoo!"
My sides

Got any more stories? Did the group eventually grow to see you as supreme leader?
>>
>>44283366
>I was afraid calling in reinforcements might TPK.
Have them captured and sold to slavers. Maybe a couple of them are outright killed. If they want to EXTERMINATE ALL LIFE then they can suffer those consequences.
>>
File: thatfacewhen.gif (1MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
thatfacewhen.gif
1MB, 300x300px
>>44278249
So I have a general question; the more I think about it, the more I wonder why we still debate about whats canon or not? Dont get me wrong, its still annoying they just wiped all of it, but does it somehow diminish our enjoyment of those things?

If it's in terms of RPGs and what lore to use, whats stopping you from using legends/mixing them? I know for ABY its tricky cause of the new films but for stuff going on during the other films and before, who cares if you include it? RPG's in setting like Star Wars are essentially fan fiction anyway. Just popped in my head cause of the occasional debates/discussions on here plus my D&D group being interested in trying EoTE but one player being upset we "cant" use EU stuff

>mfw he insists we can't use EU cause its not canon but is mad we cant
>>
>>44283385
On the astrogation side of things sure, what about the energy requirements of making the jump to lightspeed, which we know even less about?
>>
>>44279120
>>44279164
Even if it isn't explicitly stated as upholding the rule of two, I would like to see the knights of ren collapse from infighting. Maybe the subplot of 8 will be a gathering of all the evil badasses (TR-8R included) and a large part of episode 9 will be everybody freaking out over this evil death squad wiping out people, until they start backstabbing each other.
>>
>>44283459
Yeah, bitching about canon is an annoyance. Because let's be honest, there is a LOT of shit in the EU, and this way they can just pick out the best parts and make them canon again.

Thrawn will totally reappear in some form. One day.
>>
>>44281126
Every game of theirs I've played after Mass Effect 1 was boring as shit
>>
>>44283459

I tell people the same thing any time this gets brought up:

Anyone who EVER considered ANY of the EU stuff to be any level of canon was just kidding themselves, and a large portion of it is GARBAGE. If you liked something from the EU, though, just take it for what it is without regard to the rest of the universe.

It still gets argued because we're all huge fucking nerds and forget ourselves in butthurt Also a lot of the stuff contradicts itself because there's 40 years of hundreds of creators making shit up.

Midichloreans are a THING, but most reasonable people don't bring it up. But maybe there are people who do like the idea, or thing their interpretation "makes them cool".

Do you want that person in your game constantly bringing that shit up? No? Well now we've got a canon argument on our hands.
>>
>>44283573
I can see it along those lines, but since RPG's are a group exercise anyway, I'd say the easiest way to hash that out would be to decide what to use ahead of the game and for minor things to just decide it as they come; we're slowly getting that player to agree to that, its just weird that we have to and his adherence to a canon he describes as empty.
>>
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I've been looking at the star wars novels. And there is a lot. Is there a "recommended" list floating around somewhere? I'm not concerned about if it's canon or not, just want something to read.

Anyway, thinking of picking up armada. It looks really well made, is there something to be aware of when getting it?
>>
File: Gungan.jpg (88KB, 499x599px) Image search: [Google]
Gungan.jpg
88KB, 499x599px
>>44282951
Fucking hilarious
>>
>>44283459
Edge of the empire has a couple of pages going on and on about how you should use the legends universe and the old EU for your games.

They also use a very large portion of old EU for their material, heck, the books are mostly EU content established by WEG.
>>
>>44280612
>Playing the old republic
>Dialog choices are:
>yes, sir
>right away
>Of course
>They all lead to the same outcome
I'm going to have to put these valuable lesson on adventure design into practice on my ttrpg games.
>>
>>44283918
Yousa always tryin ta forsa yousa poodoo thinkins into theesa game!
>>
>>44283573
Most of it's pretty good, actually. And there really aren't that many contradictions, and the ones that were there got cleared up.

And to be fair, there's something about George Lucas having oversight over all of it that just lends itself to being canon. If it was "do whatever the hll you want" sure, but he met and discussed plots with authors, had veto power, etc.

Heck, the EU is probably more canon than the Disneyverse. It's already been confirmed that Disney threw out the ACTUAL episodes 7, 8, and 9 that Lucas would've done and decided to go their own way with it.
>>
File: 91iNObI+NEL.jpg (667KB, 2560x1529px) Image search: [Google]
91iNObI+NEL.jpg
667KB, 2560x1529px
>>
>>44284179
>It's already been confirmed that Disney threw out the ACTUAL episodes 7, 8, and 9 that Lucas would've done and decided to go their own way with it.
Considering the shit Lucas pulled post-RotJ, pretty sure that isn't a bad thing at all.
>>
File: 913fnavGzCL.jpg (750KB, 2560x1529px) Image search: [Google]
913fnavGzCL.jpg
750KB, 2560x1529px
>>44284201
>>
>>44283790
Personally, I think one of the best series is X-Wing.

You can also jump into the New Jedi Order series without much background knowledge and get through it fine (it also takes place 25 to 30 years ABY (After the Battle of Yavin) so it's pretty close to the new movie so it'd be anice alternate timeline. That also sets up the next few series quite well, which offers some interesting insight into Kylo Ren, as they basically took two EU characters and mashed them together

For something at the opposite end of the timeline, the Darth Bane trilogy comes highly recommended by just about everybody. Also, Disney hasn't gotten their hands on Knights of the Old Republic yet, so there's several books relating to the games and the MMO that were very well-done and tie in to a currently continuing story.

And if all else fails, pretty much anything by Timothy Zahn.
>>
/swg/ you must know of my shame

>Be me a few days ago
>Discover Star Wars Heros app on playstore
>Couldbecool.holo
>This is actually pretty fun and Star Wars
>3 days later
>Have spent over $250 on those damn chromium packs

At least I have Darth Sidious and Tarkin right guys...
>>
>>44283389
The leader is our Gank but Do Dar has quickly become our hidden weapon as Nobody takes him seriously.

Remember the Astromech filled with explosives? One time we were being chased by a cadre of storm troopers because our pilot is force sensitive and they caught wind of it.

So Do Dar calls them, says he's going to collect the bounty on the force sensitive and to meet them at specific coordinates. The storm troopers agree and arrive with their imperial agent commander. They see Do Dar alone with lit deathstick, standing next to a steel crate

>You there, Gungan. Where is the Correlian?
>"Hessa here. Wassa left o him."
>You killed him?
>"Hessa Magic be bombad trouble. So messa thinkin' better to put one in hessa ear dan try collectin' him alive."
>We will need to verify the body before you can collect your bounty
>"Nossa problemo"
As the storm troopers approach Do Dar steps away, drops the deathstick and crushes it. That's the signal.
The Gank bursts from the crate with rifle blazing, the Rodian and Besalisk jump from their hiding spot and do the same while Do Dar guns down the closest trooper.
Then our ship flies overhead releasing our prize cargo R6-S1 my faithful droid, who lands directly on top of the imperial agent and vaporizes half the landing pad
>>
>>44284230
Damn, Nein Nunb is doing pretty good for a 50 year old Sullastan.
>>
>>44284230
>Using an agromech as your navigation droid
The pilot of that X-wing is either: a farmer or a retard.
>>
>>44284211
Eh, to each his own. At least he didn't go back and screw things up TOO much
>>
File: Omega_ACI.png (131KB, 261x311px) Image search: [Google]
Omega_ACI.png
131KB, 261x311px
>>44284230
>Tierfon Yellow Aces recanonized
Nice.
>>
File: 1449954283863.png (28KB, 151x248px) Image search: [Google]
1449954283863.png
28KB, 151x248px
>>44284257
Those things don't even drop characters 90% of the time, dude. Wtf are you doing?!
>>
>>44284230
Ok, this bugged me when I watched the movie. Is that guy the cop from Heroes?
>>
>>44284303
No, it's Lando's co-pilot.
>>
>>44282091
Well, Leia doesn't fall, in fact she doesn't even appear to have trained. Luke..... well, he draws on the dark side for five minutes because of Palpatine's needling and his father threatening his sister but he steps back and lets go of his anger.
>>44283790
Alright, here's my recommendation list and remember that this is to my taste and maybe not to yours:
>Thrawn Trilogy
>X-Wing series
>Hand of Thrawn
>I, Jedi (which saves you the need to read the Jedi Academy Trilogy)
>Allegiance (and the sequel if you feel like it)
>Young Jedi Knights
>Jedi Apprentice
>Han Solo Adventures
>Han Solo Trilogy
>Lando Calrissian Trilogy
>Jedi Prince
>Weapon of a Jedi
I swear there's one I'm forgetting but it's just not coming to me right now.
>>
>>44284303
Yes he's a childhood friend of JJ
>>
File: Jedi drinking blue milk.jpg (22KB, 682x462px) Image search: [Google]
Jedi drinking blue milk.jpg
22KB, 682x462px
>>44284267
>>
>>44284280
I don't know why but that stupid little game is the right amount of Star Wars combined with the right amount of dopamine rewarding button pressing that I am addicted. I have spent at least $250 on it, and honestly probably closer to like $300. I need that Vader so my Front line can be Vader, Palps, and Tarkin.
>>
>>44284201
>>44284230
Is there a whole scan somewhere?
>>
>>44284314
Not him! lol I know who Nien Nunb is. I meant the guy on the left

>>44284319
I thought so. Thanks!
>>
>>44284323
stop
>>
>>44284315
COURTSHIP! That's what I was forgetting!
Courtship of Princess Leia, featuring Han being a whiny douchebag who kidnaps Leia because she's being courted by Space Fabio.
>>
>>44284315
If we stick to just the movies, we have: Vader goes dark, Luke tries to redeem. Then Ben goes dark, Han and Leia try to redeem. I'm just saying, they've got kind of a pattern set up now.

Also, in the EU we also get Luke Skywalker going dark, Jacen Solo going dark, Jaina having a little bit of an episode.
>>
>>44284340
I think I will but God help me when they introduce that one mode that looks to be Ship to Ship combat in the far right corner.
>>
>>44284390
>Ship to Ship combat
It would probably be cheaper to just invest in Armada, Empire at War, Rebellion, and/or any of the flight sims.
>>
>>44283790
>>44284315
I knew I forgot one! Han Solo has a few books that do a GREAT job of backstory- Han Solo Trilogy. Han Solo Adventures get referenced in the trilogy but aren't as good and aren't needed to get everything out of Trilogy. Plus, From Paradise Snare (book 1) through Rebel Dawn (book 3), it covers a good chunk of time so there's a lot of backstory. It also ends DURING the movie.

I also have a tendency to lump I, Jedi n with X-Wing, just FYI. It's one of my favorites. (To be fair though, some of what's going on makes more sense if you've read the Jedi Academy trilogy, but you can wookieepedia that easy)
>>
>>44284407
The X-Wing series was some of the best space sims I've ever played. THE best, actually. In terms of mechanics, I think X-Wing Alliance is probably the pinnacle of the genre (though some people prefer the story of the earlier games)

Still waiting to say "Not today bootlicker" to someone in real life.
>>
>>44284201
>"Collapsible steadying grip"
>"Removable stock assembly"
WHY DO YOU NEED A REMOVABLE STOCK YOU DID NOT EVEN REMOVE THE FOLDING ONE
>>
>>44284452
I don't think it's capable of folding out anymore. The thing in the front is just a forward grip.
>>
>>44284407
Yeah I am getting into Armada as we speak. The problem is that even though my area is really good for players I just don't have the time to join them when they are doing their Armada campaign. I have a friend who does armada as well, but he is off to law school in North Carolina and only comes back every so often.

Already have Empire at War, X-Wing, X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter and pretty much every other Star Wars game there is. Normally I hate mobile games but I this one has me. Thankfully Armada will probably rescue me from the hole, just need to work a schedule out.
>>
>>44281199
Its an important part of the dynamic between master and apprentice. The apprentice knows full-well that the master may try to replace him as soon as he dissapoints. Its what makes it interesting.
>>
>>44284452
looks like one of the tacticool forward grips you see these days, instead of a folding stock.
>>
>>44281053
>yfw Kylo-Ren says the line word for word in a flashback to the academy
>>
>>44284121
You should give Fallout 4 a chance sometime. Truly a masterful work on how you can say "Yes" four different ways.
>>
>>44284230
>Tiefon Yellow Aces
>Skywalker Swoop
>Antillies Intercept
>Porkins Belly Run

Now where is that pic of the Porkins Memorial Statue when i need it?
>>
>>44284179

When I say contradictions, I mean retcons, largely. I'm not going to try going back through the entire EU just to argue the point, but one big one I can remember from more recent times is that Mandalorian retcon where The Clone Wars CG cartoon retconned an entire series of Mando-focused books. I'm also told that those books had fanfiction levels of writing in them.

And you said it yourself: Lucas treated the EU as a general setting where stories of all variety could happen. If he didn't specifically say no to something, anything could fly.

I loved the shit out of the Galaxy of Fear books and Dark Forces games as a kid, but even then I realized they were their own things.
>>
File: porkins.jpg (232KB, 1000x980px) Image search: [Google]
porkins.jpg
232KB, 1000x980px
>>44284840
>>Porkins Belly Run
Now that's just mean.
>>
>>44279223
I always disliked how they decided tapping into the Dark Side made you a literal physical monster with a melted rubber Lon Chaney face.
>>
>>44285031
>>44285031
The dark side is quite literally black magic, twisting the power of life into unnatural forms. It raises the dead and creates lightning powered by hate. That it deforms the user eventually should come as no real surprise.
>>
What are the best Star Wars Encyclopedia/Campaign Setting books?

Particularly interested in Clone Wars and Old Republic stuff, but books on ships, tech, aliens, or factions would be good too.
>>
>>44278249
I asked this in the last thread, but didn't get a response:

Are there any rules (official or otherwise) for building/designing ships in EotE (eiher as GM guidelines or for a PC looking to build a ship from scratch)
>>
>>44285140
For encyclopedias, you can't go wrong with the "(New) Essential Guide to..." books.

Saga Edition had books for every era, from KotOR to Legacy. I think SWd20 had a number as well. WEG had a Tales of the Jedi supplement, and a Dark Empire supplement as well, but otherwise was pretty much just OT era stuff. They did had weird adventure dealing with "Otherspace," a dimension on the other side of hyperspace, though.
>>
>>44284843
The retcons are a tool to remove the shitty stuff. Case in point, the Traviss Mandos being retconned by TCW. And honestly Galaxy of Fear and Dark Forces both work fine with each other and the EU at large, so i'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
>>
>>44280949
I've only played Persona games

t. /v/
>>
>>44285215
Saga was swd20, unless you're thinking of a fan-made ruleset.
>>
>>44285247
Saga was actually the third version of SWd20 that WotC did.
>>
>>44285217
Not that I think he's trying to get at how Star Wars has been used for all sorts of different kinds of stories, many of them for kids, so treating all of it like the Bible is only going to cause frustration, especially when they toss stuff in favor of new movies. Instead just pick what you like and be content that you like it, and expect that shit's gonna overlap or get tossed sometimes.
>>
>>44285229
I've never played persona actually. But Atlus is weeb as fuck, and that you think a Star Wars game by them wouldn't be is pretty naive.
>>
>>44285215
>You can't go wrong with the "(New) Essential Guide to
Cool. I may have to look into some of those. They seem like something that would prove useful when running a star wars campaign.

Anybody have this book/is it any good?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic_Encyclopedia

Or should I skip it and go for the SWSE Campaign Guide instead?

I'm unlikely to actually run WOTCSWd20/SWSE or WEGSW, Any campaign I run is likely to be in FFGSW.
>>
>>44285511
I think that the book you linked to is JUST for TOR, not really for the Old Republic setting as a whole.

Anyway, even if you don't run games in WEG or WotC's systems, they both have tons of fluff that's easy to incorporate into FFG's games.
>>
>>44285159
Nothing official. And I've only seen one unofficial set and they were terrible; you could build a falcon-sized ship with the handling of a TIE for less than the price of a Y-wing.
Personally I just eyeball it based on the characteristics of comparable craft and old system stats when available
>>
>Old leader of the Empire was a crazed retard
>New leader of the Empire is a sociopathic fuckwad
Empire can't get a fucking break.
>>
>>44285694
Pellaeon will have his day in my campaigns.
>>
>You are weeeak Kylo
>Sh-shut up dad, you cant tell me what I am! BAAAAWWWW!
>>
Finally saw TFA just now. Not a bad film, though maybe a little too predictable and formulaic. Still, I enjoyed it.
Also, when Kylo Ren took of his mask someone in the theater said loudly: "Professor Snape?", after which every scene with him unmasked was just a riot of laughter.
>>
>>44284257
Anon, I just downloaded it and haven't even finished the tutorial and I know I now share your addiction, (Though I'll not pay them a single credit.)
Oh neat they give you my husbando Poe Dameron for free, because the new movie came out .
>>
File: 1443488016727.jpg (458KB, 1280x1886px) Image search: [Google]
1443488016727.jpg
458KB, 1280x1886px
Heres a question

So, in the FFG star wars, Character Creation requires you select a Career, and then a Spec, which has to be one of the Spec's attached to that career.

How much would it break the game if you removed the idea that your first Spec has to be a part of the Career you select?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrIyEu6h_E
Why does this exist? Why is it so weird?
>>
>>44285561
Seems to be general purpose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB2jRIe62Lg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mS52NkVsPU Review is terrible though. He basically says repeatedly "I'm not familiar with any of this stuff, it's not the OT era."
Apparently it does not cite sources, which is unfortunate.

It's also less than a third of the cost of the d20 campaign guide, which is a bonus.
>>
>>44286043
>How much would it break the game if you removed the idea that your first Spec has to be a part of the Career you select?
Not at all really, but it could result in characters that don't make any fucking sense.

Which combo in particular are you thinking of?
>>
>>44286022
Good luck fellow anon. Initially I thought the same. But here I am a few hundred spent on it. My Dark Side team is pretty bamf though. Rocking Darth Sidious, Grand Moff Tarkin, HK-47, Talia, and Captain Phasma.
>>
File: 1450073816087.jpg (414KB, 664x710px) Image search: [Google]
1450073816087.jpg
414KB, 664x710px
>>44286150

A number of things really, some examples...

>Guardian Career with starting Makashi Spec
>Bounty Hunter with starting Pilot Spec
>Hired Gun with starting Gunslinger Spec
>Smuggler with starting Entrepreneur (or Trader) Spec

And thats really just within the same gameline

>Consular with Starting Ambassador Spec
>Sentinel with Starting Scoundrel Spec

For example
>>
>>44286291
Nothing will break by doing so. Go nuts.
>>
So the movie happened and now my players are begging me for a SW game.

Is Star Wars D6 a legit good system or should I just mod Legend of Wulin?
>>
>>44285726
are you the guy working on the "pellaeon and daala VS slavery" campaign that you were posting about a while back?
because that was pretty neat
>>
>>44286349
NTGB I have a similar question:

Pros and cons of the different SW RPG Systems?

>WEG/D6
>d20 (1e/2e/Saga)
>FFG
>>
>>44286353
No, but that sounds pretty cool. I am planning out a campaign set after ANH. If time allows and they find themselves after the Battle of Endor I will have Pallaeon take over the Empire.
>>
>>44279681
And Plageuis's master before him had set up quite a bit for him
>>
>>44279716
They're featureless blocks, that makes them SpaceGlocks

>>44280725
I like that they're focusing the rivalry with Black Sun,
>>
The dumbest bit of TFA is how the First Order, rather than building an actual weapon with the effort, just make another WMD that gets off one shot before being promptly destroyed.

It's like GREAT, you have a new toy. But aside from blowing up Coruscant, what the fuck good does that do you? Tarkin Doctrine requires you hold martial superiority in the first place. Just having a doomsday weapon isn't the fucking I WIN button.
>>
>>44286740
It's like the Deathstar, but bigger. Six times bigger! Are you intimidated yet?
>>
File: 1450197655694.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1450197655694.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>44286740

First Order grew up from all the young punks that refused to surrender after Jakku - they grew up idolizing the old Empire, and thus were too naieve to realize that making another Death Star wasn't the best idea. They just think "this is what our heroes would have done!" and so they did it.

Snoke doesn't seem like he cares. he didn't seem particulary mad when Starkiller Base got destroyed

Also, it apparently wasn't Coruscant that got destroyed, even though it really should have been. Also, capital of the republic got moved to Chandrilla.
>>
>>44286814
Not even Chandrilla. That was apparently the Hosnian system or some such.
>>
Have FFG said if they're releasing TFA content?
>>
>>44286814
The original capital was on Chandrila, It moves every few years though. It was on Hosnian Prime in the movie.
>>
>>44286814
Well of course Snoke doesn't really care.
Regardless of the success or failure of the Starkiller Base, the Republic is dead.

Any confidence. Any alliance. Any security. Gone.
>>
Why are Sith given a new name when they become Sith?

Is it a title or is it a sign of hatred towards their birth name?
>>
>>44286104

This would have been so good if it wasn't propaganda.
>>
>>44286843
Fantasy flight games? yeah they already have TFA content out. A starter kit with a t-70 x-wing and two Tie/fo. Aswell as standalone expansions of afformentioned mentioned ships.
>>
>>44286740
Superweapons as a concept aren't bad, the problem is that from a narrative standpoint they basically exist solely to be destroyed after maybe getting off one shot.

Just imagine how fucked everyone would have been if Finn hadn't turned out to have had enough intel on the thing to work out a way to destroy it.
>>
>>44286104
I forgot about this. It looks like it took quite a bit of effort for what it is.
>>
>>44286870
because vader did it
>>
>>44286886
My bad, I specifically meant the role-playing games.

It's nice to see they are already putting stuff out there though, those miniatures look nice.
>>
>>44286870
Because Sith are insufferable edge-lords.
>>
>>44286104
>>44286877

A shame organic food has since been proven to have the same nutritional content.

I'm happy enough supporting my local suppliers AND saving money, thank you.
>>
So, with Kylo Ren killing Han Solo in a scene that's more awkward than shocking, who is the next to go? Luke is probably as good as dead, considering the parallels, but what about the rest?
>>
>>44287268
I hope one of the new mains dies, since that never happened in the original trilogy. Even though it was supposed to and definitely should have.
>>
>>44287268
movie #8, like Yoda before
>>
>>44286849
That's excessive. We get it, JJ, you don't like the prequels; but this a bit silly
>>
>>44287268

Why is it necessary that the OTC has to die off?

Just because Ep7 followed a familiar formula, doesnt mean 8 and 9 are gonna be carbon copies of 5 and 6
>>
>>44287268
Finn frozen in carbonite.
Rey loses her dominant hand.
Luke dies of old age and fades away after confirming that your cousin, he is.
Rey and Poe rescue Finn from the carbonite, Poe kisses his bae, ends up in a slavegirl costume.
Poe, Rey, and Finn go on a commando mission to destroy the shield generator for the Second Starkiller Base.
Poe gets lost in the woods and becomes friends with a bunch of little bears.
Rey allows herself to be captured by Kylo and taken before Supreme Commander Snoke.
After fighting and needling, Kylo kills Snoke because he tried to kill Rey before Kylo could.
Kylo dies somehow, but doesn't get redeemed.
Rey burns the body, sees the Force ghosts of Han Solo, Luke, and Hayden Christansen.

Finite Ring Cycle.
>>
>>44287268

Honestly, if they're going to kill off any more of the Original Trilogy characters, I'd prefer they do them all in one fell swoop.

Something like that would serve to leave the new guard reeling; they'd be lost and have to rely on their own abilities to come through. It would also clear the way for the new characters to have their own plotlines fully fleshed out as their own.
>>
>>44287268
Finn is probably gonna get killed by ren a shame because despite /pol/ hating his guts and me usually being on /pol/'s side, he's my favorite protag from the movie

Poe's gonna sacrifice himself to blow up the starkiller 2 in episode 9

Ren is gonna redeem himself and sacrifice himself to kill Snork or whoever the big guy

Luke is gonna get killed by Ren
>>
>>44284843
I think that was for the Disney stuff though, and that the original, GOOD Mandalorians are still EU.

I liked the Galaxy of Fear books too, to be honest. Didn't play much of the Dark Forces, but they all got tied into the larger story just fine- Kyle Katarn got some loving in the books

>And you said it yourself: Lucas treated the EU as a general setting where stories of all variety could happen. If he didn't specifically say no to something, anything could fly.
Not what I said, but ok. I think I did kind of jump into that conversation though.
>>
>>44285159
Saga Edition for Old Republic and I think Clone Wars. The original Star Wars d20 had a great book that was pretty much all aliens and the like- I'd look to them for general factions stuff as well. And then anything that d20 didn't cover due to release date (mostly the Cade Skywalker era stuff) , Saga. The d6 version had some good stuff, but I feel that's still before a lot of the major lore really solidified.
>>
Considering some Gundam and Star Wars crossover writefaggotry. Hopefully the idea isn't too stupid; I wanted to play around with Star Wars naval tactics and have Zaku's dogfight TIEs

http://pastebin.com/qM7RDUYh
>>
>>44285511
I'd definitely go for the rpg books. They not only have great lore, but you can steal a lot and to be honest, most of the enemies, adventures, and the like can usually be converted.

(And this is ignoring the fact that I think the d20 systems are better than the FFG version. I honestly do think they present the lore, equipment, characters, etc. better for gaming)
>>
>>44287758
I vaguely want to do a reinterpretation of Star Wars where Cybertron exists in that galaxy purely to justify the Star Wars/Transformers crossover toys.

Although apparently the 'canon' is just that they're purely mechanical and it's just an alternate version of the Star Wars galaxy where the Death Star just happens to have an alternate mode where it's a moon-sized Darth Vader, but fuck that. I want a sentient Death Star that acts as a focusing lens for Megatron's Fusion Cannon, where Starscream is the biggest shitheel of a Sith in the galaxy.
>>
>>44285694
To be fair, they got Jag Fel in the EU and he was pretty cool. And totally not a psycopath. As far as we know. Jerks ended the books before we could find out though. I really wish they'd release new EU books

>>44285726
I like your taste in characters.
>>
>>44287814
>I think the d20 systems are better than the FFG version.
Really? why? this is the first time I've heard that.

Normally I hear that the math is poorly thought out and force users are wildly better characters than non force users.
>>
>>44287720
Did you mean to quote a different post?
>>
>>44287820
Make the Death Star transform into Palpatine sitting on his throne and the Executor into Darth Vader and i'm fine with that
>>
>>44287920
Palpatine on his throne is clearly the Death Star II

Its diffuse ship-killer beam becomes him throwing Force lightning from his hand.
>>
>>44286395
WEG is a d6 and for me, having started on d20 systems, it's a bit harder to run. It's also the oldest which means it doesn't have a lot of the material the new ones do, or at least not officially.

d20 (Revised Core Rulebook)- this version is pretty much the exact same thing as D&D 3.5 but with a Star Wars skin on it. For those that enjoy 3.5, it's familiar enough to be comfortable. Has all the material you really need absent stuff set in the New Jedi Order Era (which is around the same time as the new movie, but everything in the new movie was pretty much in the old ones or can be refluffed).

Saga Edition- this gets called "3.75" because it was created between D&D 3.5 and 4E and you can see some of the concepts they played around with. It's a bit more streamlined and more balanced. It also has the greatest range of time periods covered. The condition track was a pain but character progression was interesting (it used a traits/talents system similar to FFG but on top of more traditional character stats).

FFG is probably the oddball of the bunch. It goes for a less immersive, more cinematic experience. If you prefer games more like, say, FATE, this is probably right up your alley. There's a little bit more of a learning curve with the dice but once manage to get over that, there's less math involved which some people prefer. It's broken up into three different but compatible games, though I don't think the force user version has much support yet.
>>
>>44286814
Where are you getting all this stuff about Jakku an seats of government? I kinda lost track of Star Wars books a while back. Or did they post movie backstory online somewhere?
>>
>>44286870
It's a title. Which comes in handy, as it lets them get away with a lot more under the alias (see Episode II and Dooku/Tyranus as an easy example)
>>
>>44287268
I want them to kill off Chewbacca, mainly because he was already dead in the books. Plus, come on, getting hit by a moon is like THE coolest way he could go out. They're not gonna be able to top that.

>>44287404
I don't think they'd do it, but I TOTALLY support the idea of Rey in a slavegirl outfit. Still bummed Padme didn't wind up in something sexy.
>>
Theory: The reason Rey is so proficient at everything is because she's actually a Sith.

She will kill Luke and frame it on Kylo Ren when Ren attempts to seek repentance, and Kylo's arc will turn around where he's the central protagonist.
>>
File: 1450582876280.jpg (82KB, 868x888px) Image search: [Google]
1450582876280.jpg
82KB, 868x888px
reasons people find the OT entertaining:
>pshoo pshoo
>bzzzzzt scrack srack
>whooooooooooosh
>pew pew pew pew

reasons people find the OT compelling:
>characters and actors with real chemistry
>classic story structure hearkening back to the hero's journey and monomyth
>watching the characters learn and grow, not only Luke's skill in the Force but as people too
>sympathetic rebel cause, fighting against the oppressive Imperial regime
>exploring an unknown galaxy that was strangely familiar yet unlike anything else

reasons people find TFA entertaining:
>PSHOO PSHOO
>BZZZZZT SCRACK SRACK
>WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH
>PEW PEW PEW PEW

reasons people will find TFA compelling:
>???

In my opinion TFA isn't bad; it is quite good. It is absolutely the fourth best Star Wars movie out right now, perhaps better than or equal to RotJ. But it does have a lot of problems, including the pacing, the confusing and stilted worldbuilding, the strained attempt at making another underdog story just so they could more accurately ape A New Hope, the reliance on nostalgia, the lack of visual identity, the emphasis on action scenes and the characters (for example, how can Rey grow if she's already good at everything?).

That being said, it made me feel more than any movie I've seen in awhile when it's show R2 has been in a depressive sleep since losing Luke, but even that is reliant on OT nostalgia and probably says more about other movies than it does this one.
>>
File: 14474-30786-0.jpg (34KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
14474-30786-0.jpg
34KB, 320x240px
>>44286870
Relax, it's cool to have a code name. It's not that wierd.
>>
>>44288398
>getting hit by a moon is like THE coolest way he could go out. They're not gonna be able to top that.
No, it's really not. There's no heroic last stand in impotently howling as a moon falls on you.
>>
>>44287871
Mostly from a system perspective. I find it to be easier to run (since I tend to have to do the DM'ing) as well as more immersive. It's also a mechanical system I'm more comfortable with.

As far as first time hearing it, with most games, /tg/ seems to have its favorite versions/editions that get the most love and the rest kinda get pushed off to the side. Plus, there's often that "Ooh, shiny, new" factor.

I'm not saying it's a bad system- I've played it and have some of the products myself- it's just not what I prefer or find the most enjoyable.

>>44287889
Yeah, I meant to click the one above you. I thought I did, sorry >_< I'm a little sleep deprived still. I hope that wasn't too confusing.
>>
File: Absolute Madwoman.png (422KB, 537x696px) Image search: [Google]
Absolute Madwoman.png
422KB, 537x696px
>>44288413

Why was Phasma so useless?
>>
>>44288398
>Plus, come on, getting hit by a moon is like THE coolest way he could go out. They're not gonna be able to top that
Of course there is. He should die of old age among the trees on Kashyyyk, surrounded by friends and family, remembered as a hero by both his fellow Wookiees and several generations of Skywalker-Solo descendants whom he guided and protected over his many, many long years.
>>
>>44288410
Kylo is a better protagonist, anyways
>>
>tfw there will never be a movie following the journey of Luke's lightsaber after Empire told in the style of the Life of a Bullet scene from Lord of War
>>
>>44288410
I'm just going with force sensitive.

>>44288413
I kinda liked the Finn/Rey chemistry. Two utterly lone characters who end up clamping to each other like a hutt to its meal when they finally find someone to not be alone with.

Probably a good bit of room for character development there too as they both learn to carry themselves outside of the rather monotone environments they come from. But they could certainly have had a bit more of that in this movie already,and there's no guarantee they'll actually do it as well.

The rebel cause for the resistance might work if there's enough of a political SNAFU behind things. A laconic "if". The bad guys where at least suitably repulsive. IMO they showed a pretty suitable level of radicalisation form the Imperial days.

The overall narrative will work better as part 1 of 3 once all three are out. I hope. On its own it did suffer from it.
>>
>>44288413
To be fair, I feel like there was some good chemistry going on with Finn, Rey, and BB-8, and I LOVED the total bromance between Finn and Poe. There was good chemistry between Han and Finn/Rey as well. I'm also shipping Rey and Finn pretty hard.

>>44288431
The guy saves the life of his best friend's son and then you realize the ONLY way he could EVER get taken out would be by taking advantage of that kind of heroism and throwing a FREAKING MOON at him. Well, pulling one down on him, but same difference.
>>
>>44280745
>>44280779
>>44280759
The Rule of Two is official, Yoda commented on it when he went to Darth Bane's tomb.
>>
>>44288684
It can be as official as it wants. If nobody's adhering to it, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>44288633
The entire death is rendered pointless because the people he saved do jack shit plot-wise, Anakin Solo dies a couple of books later, and the rest of the EU becomes an unreadable pile of shit. And I'd bet you anything that Chewie's guidance could have kept Jacen from falling, thus preventing the post-Vong EU from becoming a clusterfuck of bullshit deaths and grimderp.
>>
>>44288698
he just means its recognized in the canon again

>>44288551
i was kinda disappointed that she didnt get more screen time. Why have a well known actress play her if she hardly does anything? Unless she went out in that mess im sure she will get more in the next movie though
>>
>>44288817
>Why
advertising bux
stronk womyn bux
captain toy
>>
>>44288770
Anakin was instrumental in the mission he died on though. They wouldn't have succeeded without him and that leads to a lot of dead jedi. His death also winds up important in the Jacen-Tahiri Master/student relationship. And Chewbacca wouldn't have been any more capable of topping Jacen's fall than Han would have. And the post-NJO books, especiall after the Killik trilogy, are pretty good (sucks we'll never get to see how things turn out between Ben Skywalker and the sith chick or read about Jag and Jaina and the Imperial Knights)
>>
File: HereWeGoAgain.gif (223KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
HereWeGoAgain.gif
223KB, 500x281px
>>44288817
>well known actress

Wait what? Who?

>looks it up
>>
>>44288894
thats not necessarily false but I like a wide array of antagonists. The Tarkin stand in felt more like a harry potter character for some reason (maybe just looks too much like the red head kid), Ren is at the forefront, so of course he gets the most screen time. Snoke is w/e so far. So im kinda hoping that another non-force antagonist will get some decent action
>>
File: 1431499120945.gif (149KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1431499120945.gif
149KB, 600x600px
>>44288603
I honestly thought most of the Finn and Rey scenes were kind of awkward and forced. Finn ended up being one of my favorite characters too; even if he is the Ron Weasley of Star Wars, he's the only one with real growth potential even if he starts gunning down stormtroopers without hesitation after talking about how he can't kill innocent people - despite THESE people just being brainwashed kids. The Poe/Finn bromance felt like the most organic relationship in the movie to me.

>>44288633
>mfw le OTP shipfags are allowed to post here now
Don't you already have f.net or tumblr?
>>
>>44288770

Anakin dies literally half the series later, not "A couple Books."
>>
>>44289105
I like the idea of a stormtrooper captain, but they didn't really do a whole lot with it.

They could have easily spent some more time fleshing out Finn, his FO pals and the new setting in general and the movie would have been better for it.
>>
>>44289165

To be fair, Brainwashed Kid or not, if someone's trying to plug you, not even the Light Side has a problem if you take them out.
>>
>>44289165
No I do not,. But I do have a healthy appreciation for character development that includes romantic relationships, and there was a lot of chemistry between Finn and Rey.

Romance is a thing. Grow up and deal with it.
>>
>>44283110
A good way to teach players to get out of a firefight is to provide them with an escape route that requires them to not fight for a round or two as they crack open a door, scale a wall or whatever. They can take that way out at any time. Throw 5 stormtroopers at them. After a few rounds add two 5 stormtrooper groups. Then four groups. If they still don't get that they can not kill their way out of the engagement have an AT-ST show up. If they manage to destroy it an AT-AT.
>>
>>44289240
Yeah, I agree. I just figured he'd show some hesitation or you'd see it affect him a little more. The movie was a little too fast-paced as it is so I can understand why that wasn't portrayed. I just wish it was.

>>44289326
>if you disagree with me, you need to grow up
Bitch, I'm getting married in a few months and since this is Star Wars we're talking about, all I need now is a space gondola to prove how much I know about romance at least according to Lucas.
>>
>>44289459
What are your thoughts on sand?
>>
>>44289496
I don't like sand.
>>
>>44289459

Honestly, I wish the movie was split into two movies, Like one now and and another six months down the line or so. Make the first movie about finding luke, have Starkiller base show up and make its shot five minutes before the ending, and then the next movie is about tracking it down and blowing it up.
>>
>>44289540
But that would require JJ Abrams to do something other than ride the coattails of the OT
>>
>>44289649
More like that would require some more world and character building scenes instead of action ones.
>>
>>44289540
I don't know. I think a whole movie about finding Luke wouldn't work out. Either they find Luke and he plays a major role in destroying Starkiller Base or whatever (thus taking the spotlight off the new characters) or they find him and he does nothing, in which case people would ask why they bothered.

I do agree Starkiller Base itself was pretty confusing. Where was it located? What was it shooting at a lot of people thought it blew up Coruscant, including myself, but apparently not? Why didn't nobody know about it? Why do they keep calling it "the weapon"? How does it work? Does it move or can it only be used twice? How do you move a whole planet? And how do you top that anyway?

The weirdest thing to me about Starkiller Base was the scale of it. I mean, the characters in A New Hope liken the Death Star to the moon; everybody knows about how big the moon is 'cause they see it all the time. They can imagine what it would be like to see it hovering in the sky. But even the little "thermal oscillator" thing, which you can see Finn and Rey moving around on and seems like a pretty tight squeeze for Poe's x-wing, is clearly visible from space so it's gotta be real big, right? Starkiller just seems like a case of "biggerer and betterer" that everyone hated from the prequels.
>>
I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who thinks there wasn't enough time in the movie for the characters to relax and establish themselves more.

It really seemed to me like enough shit happened for two whole movies.
>>
i kinda think that Finn should have been one of the electric staff wielding stormtroopers to justify his usage of the lightsaber. even if kylo is still an apprentice level force user, or even a terribad melee fighter, he should still have more knowledge than both Rey and Finn. It would have also kinda dampened that sort of awkward scene at the beginning where he was the only one not firing.

still though, he ended up being a lot more likable than I thought.
>>
>>44289795
>he should still have more knowledge than both Rey and Finn
But Rey is a girl so she can't be bad at anything.

>still though, he ended up being a lot more likable than I thought.
Agreed, I thought he would be a throwaway but I ended up liking him. Then again I'm a sucker for "straight man in a mad world" characters. Wish they didn't make him fake an American accent though.
>>
>>44289795
Why? He's just hacking with it, and when he goes against Kylo (who took a shot from a bowcaster that's been blowing stormtroopers across rooms like a shotgun in a Western), the two are just trying to use their raw strength to batter the other's defenses down.
>>
>>44289844
>But Rey is a girl so she can't be bad at anything.
I really want to believe the people making the movie didn't think that. They did throw captain chrome in the bin, after all.

Maybe that doesn't count since she was wearing a helmet.
>>
>>44290016

>cutie asian pilot chick didn't get killed
>phasma is comin' back
>>
>>44286886
Does the the new tie have a back arc of fire?
>>
>>44289844
>fake american accent
What now?? that went right over my head, and im an american m80. is he english?

>>44289861
yea, and im glad they at least recognized that he should have some sort of cripple in order to be on par with complete noobs, but come on. in a fight for your life, you're gonna fall back on SOME technique. its just a small gripe though, didnt affect my overall enjoyment of the movie
>>
... So what new ships can they add to X-Wing? The "Resistance" didn't really use anything but the T-70 and the Falcon and the First Order had regular TIE/fo's doing "air strikes" and their troop carrier is irrelevant. Maybe Kylo's shuttle? There's no new Y-wing/TIE bomber or anything like that.

>>44290154
Boyega is the son of Nigerian immigrants to London.
>>
>>44288410
No it's because she's from a desert shithole, it's obvious that those make the best force users in the galaxy.
>>
>>44290154
>in a fight for your life, you're gonna fall back on SOME technique.

Not if you haven't been trained in any. And by being a regular blaster stormie instead of a riot control one, that'd seem to fit Finn.
>>
File: TIE series.jpg (290KB, 1780x1040px) Image search: [Google]
TIE series.jpg
290KB, 1780x1040px
>>44290199
>So what new ships can they add to X-Wing?
There are still a metric fuckton of ships from Legends and the old flight sims that have yet to make it into XWM. Pic related. FFG hasn't even scratched the surface of Sienar Fleet Systems' craziness.

We may also see a new B-wing in future films, since one of the Resistance ships apparently used "B-wing Mk II" gubbins.
>>
File: aliasmil.jpg (16KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
aliasmil.jpg
16KB, 640x480px
>>44290248
>>
>>44290376
Why didn't the Empire just use ARCs as their long range recon craft?
>>
>>44290376
Well, the reason I ask is because my buddy bought the original X-Wing core set and I've wanted to get into it for awhile. He thinks I should get the TFA set so between us we have all the bases covered, but since I want to play Empire my autism tells me those black and white First Order TIEs aren't going to look too good next to regular old Imperial grey interceptors, defenders, bombers, etc.

Such a shame the Decimator is ugly as fuck too.
>>
>>44290391
Luke, Anakin and Ray.

Triple protagonist power desert shitholes are the place to be.
>>
>>44290418

Because it was built by Incom, who didn't slip a fat stack of cash to the Imperial Navy Procurement Department like SFS did as near as I can tell.
>>
>>44290418
Because a proper scoutship is way ahead better for the job than a fighter you can't even stand up in
>>
>>44290418
Most of those TIEs were conceived before AotC.

In-universe, the ARC did see use briefly after the Clone Wars. My guess is that they proved too large, too unwieldy, and too cost-ineffective. It needed three pilots and an astromech and had a shitload of moving parts (the s-foils). The Empire probably also wanted to cut down on the number of manufacturing contracts and non-interchangeable parts it had to deal with. TIEs are also extremely economical--the engines have no moving parts and require nearly no maintenance.
>>
>>44290376
They could do some really fun Hunter and Hunted scenes with the Phantom.
>>
>>44290506
Yeah, but they already have the production and tooling going for it, with a well-established supply chain.

>>44290510
I imagine using it like a space PBY Catalina more than a scout ship
>>
>>44290454
>my autism tells me those black and white First Order TIEs aren't going to look too good next to regular old Imperial grey interceptors, defenders, bombers, etc.
trust your autism
>>
>>44290537
I was thinking of using it as something like a space Catalina to use a WW2 analogy
>>
>>44290537

The Empire has trillions of credits to blow on SSD's. enough stormtroopers to sink a regiment per planet, and Two Death Stars, I think maintaining a few additional companies making your shit beyond KDY and SFS isn't a big stretch.
>>
Question about fantasy flight RPGs

Is there a mechanic that I'm missing that keeps a ranged attacker from simply running away from a melee one? Attack of opportunity or something similar?

The way it looks if I have say a rifle dude and some maniac with a vibroaxe is in my face I'm not actually in that big of trouble because I can just back up and plug him a few times with impunity, rather than stick in melee and take a penalty

Now mind you he can just move up again next turn but still it seems odd (what with there being penalties for shooting in melee)
>>
>>44290605
Secondary question. How might one physically (with miniatures and maps) represent a typical encounter? While I like that range bands make it easy for a more theater of mind style of play my group also likes having minis to help them get a feel for the scene. At the same time it seems kinda strange to adapt the range band system to a grid or hex
>>
>>44288633
>Rey/Finn
Poe/Finn forever!
>>44288398
No no, POE in the slavegirl outfit.
>>44289734
Considering we all thought it was the Death Star 3.0 and we were proved right....
>>
>>44290600
>The Empire has trillions of credits to blow on SSD's
The Legends explanation is "Muh capital ships. Muh Tarkin doctrine." Basically, Imp naval officers wanted the budget to be focused on shitting out carriers and large capitals. IIRC, some Imps also bitched about the fact that hyperdrives and long operational range made it too easy for pilots to go AWOL and defect.

That said, the T-65 X-wing was originally meant to be an Imperial starfighter until Incom's best and brightest defected and took all the prototypes and associated data. It's highly likely that best girl was intended to be the ARC's smaller, more agile, more versatile, and more cost-effective successor.
>>
>>44288398
>Still bummed Padme didn't wind up in something sexy.
>the midriff baring ripped outfit in the Arena
>her sexy dresses in Clones

Droid please
>>
>>44290789

Honestly, given the inertia inherent in the Imperial Navy, someone would have found a way to can the project before delivery of more maybe enough units for Darth Vader to equip his personal squadron with them.
>>
>>44290537
>three pilots

It looks like one pilot, a WSO/GIB, and a tail gunner

Only one person dips into your pilot pool
>>
>>44290570
Even so, that role would be better served by the decimator or skipray
(Hell, I figure the Skipray was the empire's replacement for the ARC-170; it basically fills the same role but better AND does the Y-wing's strike job)
>>
>>44290835

But you could have three Ties flying for every ARC-170! And everyone knows that shitty disposable fighters are the way of the future... despite combat experience in the clone wars proving almost exactly the opposite.
>>
>>44290376
I actually really like the design of the TIE Droid

The tilted panels are cool.

How would you do pilot cards for a TIE/droid though? Maybe that's its gimmick, is it gets really good stats for its price at the cost of not being able to take on any ace upgrades?
>>
>>44290454
You know, you could always just paint your other TIEs in First Order colors.

Or paint the /fo's in classic gray, maybe with some black markings to set them apart as different models.
>>
File: but girls can't be aces.jpg (349KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
but girls can't be aces.jpg
349KB, 600x800px
>>44290835
Bad wording on my part. Three meatbags, I meant to say. I keep using "pilot" when I mean "crewman" because I'm a retard. Still, that's two extra bodies that you could throw into two other fighters--two more sets of guns, two more mobile sets of eyes. Howlrunner needs her meat shields, yo.

>>44290882
>pilot cards for a TIE/droid though
Probably cheap points cost and an amazing movement dial at the cost of low-middling PS. They'd also need some sort of card that lets them take the Brobot concept up to eleven. Maybe some synergy with Howlrunner to make TIE swarms even crazier.
>>
File: xg1_test.jpg (182KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
xg1_test.jpg
182KB, 1920x1440px
>>44290857
Skipray and Xg1 Star-wing AGBs fill the roles the ARC and Y-Wing used to pretty well.

The Star Wing is a bit cramped though.
>>
>>44290867
You really can't because, excepting clones, the physical and cognitive demands of piloting make your pool of people that can be good pilots relatively small. However, having a Guy-In-Back frees up some of the pilot's concentration to be focus on fancy flying, and a second pair of eyes was to quote F-4 Phantom crews "worth its weight in gold"
>>
File: capture_1868_20122015_210843.jpg (461KB, 1920x1039px) Image search: [Google]
capture_1868_20122015_210843.jpg
461KB, 1920x1039px
>Luke imitating Yoda's Voice to play with the Solo Twins

Man, before they get to the Maw the Jedi Academy Trilogy ain't half bad.
>>
>>44290867
The thing is that the TIE really isn't shitty; we just see it going up against X-wings, which are tactically superior but probably a worse large-scale choice, and the most elite X-wings in the galaxy at that. If the protags flew TIEs against X-wings, we'd be laughing at the plebs who thought they could fly overmuscled strike fighters against super-specialist interceptor dogfighters
>>
>>44291030
This. The TIE Fighter did acquit itself well at Yavin. Vader's boys were outnumbered and they still racked up plenty of kills. In Legends, the X-wing also came after the TIE/LN. The classic TIE Fighter was meant to counter Headhunters and Y-wings, which were the Rebellion's early workhorses. And it did that job well. Z-95s and Y-wings were often outmatched against the TIE/LN due to their inferior maneuverability and acceleration. It was not built to go toe-to-toe with the X-wing.

The actual counters to the X-wing would be ships like the Avenger, Hunter, and Interceptor.
>>
>>44291030
>>44291110

TIE's are the Star Wars A6M2 Zero

Fast, Maneuverable, but Fragile. Able to own the skies in the hands of a skilled pilot, but unforgiving of mistakes
>>
>>44291155

Pretty much. The way I see it? The TIE was AMAZING performance wise when it came out compared to everything else on the market BECAUSE it cut so many corners in its design and a few nifty technical tricks. Problem is? Technology marches on and eventually someone builds something that actually can compete on a more or less even playing field, at which point all that shit you cut to get the performance you did, like shields, armor, and secondary weapons.... well it pretty much fucks you right up the ass.

>>44291110

Honestly, I don't know if I'd count anything where the opponent is flying down a trench over and over in a straight line as a fair comparison of the dogfighting prowess of two different ships. IIRC they were more or less evenly matched outside the trench.
>>
File: 04 - 0upN9fa.jpg (266KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
04 - 0upN9fa.jpg
266KB, 1600x900px
>>44291252
>Technology marches on and eventually someone builds something that actually can compete on a more or less even playing field

>A6M Zero vs F6F Hellcat
>>
>>44291307

Yeah pretty much.
>>
>>44291155
but the zero was only considered fast by early war standards, the corsair in that pic was faster, tougher, and better armed.
>>
>>44291252
There were about 24 Rebel starfighters at Yavin and one squadron of TIEs (say, 12-ish). Only Luke, Wedge, and Keyan Farlander made it back. Of the other Reds and Golds, we only saw a couple of trench run teams go down on-screen. The only TIEs that went inside the trench were Vader, Mithel, and Backstabber, IIRC, so the rest of Vader's team was outside dogfighting. I wouldn't be surprised if Black Squadron cleaned house above the trench as well.
>>
>>44291383
I think there were three squads of rebels, and the Special Edition in one of its very few improvements showed a better count of the TIEs, there were at least two squadrons.
>>
>>44291375

In a Dive.

There were no american early and mid war planes that could burst climb faster then the Zero. It couldn't hold that climb rate for long, but they could do a lot right away, instead of needing to build energy first.

the only defense US Fighters had against Zeros was dive speed - they could away run from Zeros if they didn't have the advantage.

>>44291383
>one squadron of TIEs (say, 12-ish)

Just 1? Holy shit, Tarkin you a fool. When an ImpStarDeuce can carry, what, 72 TIE's? The DS1 should have carried at least twice to quadruple that.
>>
>>44291484
>Holy shit, Tarkin you a fool.
when you've got vader flying around, you don't really need all that much
>>
>>44291484
It's pretty well established in the movie that Tarkin is too focused on the Death Star being unstoppable and the destruction of Yavin Base being inevitable because of it.

>"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."

Meanwhile, when Vader's informed that the ground defense guns aren't really affecting the Rebel fighters, he scrambles his handpicked squadron of elites, because he's the only one who senses the impending threat.
>>
>>44291468
Two Rebel squads in the film: Red and Gold. The X-Wing flight sim added one or two more units but they were far from the trench and just there to damage the superlaser and distract the Imps.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Yavin

According to the canon events, it was 22 Xs and 8 Ys against Vader and "at least 8 TIE/LN starfighters."

>>44291484
Vader pretty much deployed his TIEs in defiance of Tarkin's orders. IIRC, Tarkin gave no shits about the Rebel fighters. He flat-out refused to order the TIEs to launch.
>>
>>44291484
Maybe there was some sort of command and control issue sortying and coordinating a bunch of squadrons at such a small target on such short notice. One of the issues air-traffic controllers ran into during the battle of Britain was trying to coordinate an interception at the wing level. It was just too tedious get all the planes together to respond swiftly
>>
>>44291662
I am like 90% certain they had more TIEs show up in the Special Edition.

A Veritable swarm of the bastards.
>>
>>44291713

No, If Vader hadn't been around Tarkin would have quite happily died along with the entire crew of the DS1 without ever scrambling a single fighter. "I think you overestimate their chances!" after all.
>>
>>44279350

Even if Palpatine had others he wouldn't have brought them in. He was way too confident that Luke's friends would fail on Endor (and in the fight in general). I imagine when he saw the future through the force he didn't see the Ewoks routing his elite guard.
>>
>>44280949

Atlus also has SMT and Etrian Odyssey. Persona is a fine RPG series too.

>implying you wouldn't play the FUCK out of Star Wars High School JRPG

I don't think Star Wars would work great as a turn based RPG though.
>>
>>44292648
>Star Wars High School
>>
>>44288398
>mainly because he was already dead in the books
THE BEST PART ABOUT DITCHING THE EU WAS MAKING THAT BULLSHIT NOT HAPPEN.
FUCK YOU YOU LITTLE SHITCUNT.
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>44292746
>Boba taping Han into the phone booth
>>
>>44284230
oh hey Wexley. He's Temmin from Aftermath
>>
>>44293336

its actually a freezer, ala carbonite

>NEW THREAD WHEN?
>>
>>44293497
>>44293497
>>44293497

NEW THREAD
>>
As someone who has a pretty encyclopaedic knowledge of Star Wars I have to say my favourite part of TFA was all the shit that I had no idea what it was. I'm almost holding off diving into the visual dictionary books because right now I how I was when I was 8. There is the alien that looks like a goat thing or the droid that has a microphone face. I don't know their rich lore or names or anything and there's a purity to that.

That said I wouldn't mind a few more familiar aliens as set dressing in the other films but it really hammered home that the universe is fucking huge.
Thread posts: 356
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.