[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chess. A beautiful abstract game, probably one of the most abstract

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: chess.jpg (130KB, 1024x404px) Image search: [Google]
chess.jpg
130KB, 1024x404px
Chess. A beautiful abstract game, probably one of the most abstract games that people still relate to the idea of war or battle.

Chess thread. Other chesslikes are welcome, including but not limited to shogi and xiangqi.
>>
File: Digital-Laser-Fire-2[1].png (512KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Digital-Laser-Fire-2[1].png
512KB, 1800x1200px
Everything is better with lasers and Egyptian mythological influences.
>>
>/tg/ is too busy being /erp/
>>
>>44277940
Is the game good? Tell me more.
>>
File: Shahmat.jpg (23KB, 232x320px) Image search: [Google]
Shahmat.jpg
23KB, 232x320px
>>44277941

Shah-mat!
>>
>>44277957
Pieces are captured by directing your laser into an exposed (non mirrored) side of an enemy piece. In the picture posted, the red pyramid being hit is captured.

The goal is to capture the enemy king, which iirc is the pharao looking piece in the middle of the bottom row.

Pieces can be rotated or moved in your turn, but only one rotation or move is allowed per turn.

It's pretty fun.
>>
>>44277957
not that guy but i had it as a kid and it was awesome, i dunno where it went though
>>
People relate Go to war.
>>
>>44278287
While I like go, I see that comparison almost never.
>>
File: frickin-laser-beams.jpg (274KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
frickin-laser-beams.jpg
274KB, 1024x684px
>>44277957
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUGPyvyUxnM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
>>
>>44278359
The game sounds cool, but the narration is so reddit it hurts.
>>
>>44278390
Meh, we'll see about teaming up with the Powerthirst guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs
>>
>>44278409
'fuck, you got me. I'm buying this shit
>>
So, anyone watches chess on YouTube or Twitch? I've been following Chess Network, John Bartholomew and Daniel King, and they're all very nice.

I used to follow Kingscrusher, but I've got past the point where his commentary was useful (if it ever was). I still chime in every now and then for a commentary of a tournament game, but that's it.

I hear Christof Sielecki, chessbrahs and some lower-rated faggots are popular, too, but I never found them entertaining.
>>
>>44277957
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUGPyvyUxnM [Remove]
It's fast but as complex as chess
>>
File: Pentagochess.png (17KB, 394x391px) Image search: [Google]
Pentagochess.png
17KB, 394x391px
>>44277902
About a week ago someone talked about pentagonal tiling in a thread discussing Hexes vs Squares, and I was intrigued and made this in paint.

The grey piece is a Spy; he has a queen's movement and can pass through pieces, but cannot take. Alternatively, you can just move him to anywhere, but he still cannot take.
>>
>>44278313
Watch more Asian media.

Heck, watch more American media. You can't go half an hour without someone comparing the strategic mindsets of Chess and Go to the strategies employed in Vietnam.
>>
>>44281451
>About a week ago someone talked about pentagonal tiling in a thread discussing Hexes vs Squares, and I was intrigued and made this in paint.
How chess works:

>ROOK
Rook move to the closest square from the one he is, excluding the one he is in, closest means the amount of moves needed to make when you can move only to the edges of the tile you are in without being a rider.
Rook move to those places like a rider.

>BISHOP
move to the closest place from the one he is excluding the place he is and the ones rook can move to.
he also is a rider

>knight
same idea as before, but also including the places knights can move to.
This made knight have 8 directions to move (more then others pieces that are 4), so he is not a rider

>KING
A weaken version of other pieces combined (it doenst have knight moves, because how the hell you weaken it?)

>QUEEN
improved version of king, being a rider

>PAWN
Make the moves that advance foward that the first rider can only in move mode.
Do the same with second rider but only in capture mode.
>>
>>44281555
I have no idea what you are on about.
>>
File: kagaritakamiyaop[1].jpg (254KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kagaritakamiyaop[1].jpg
254KB, 1280x720px
>>44277902
Why is the queen the strongest piece and the king she has to protect weak and fragile? That's my fetish but it makes little sense. I've heard that in Arab and some other languages the Queen is actually the Vizier, but even that makes little sense
>>
>>44277941
>/tg/ ever caring about chess
>>
>>44281998
The original chess had the queen as a General, the castles as Chariots and bishops as War Elephants. How they became the modern terms I do not know.
>>
>>44281998

Original original chess had the pawns and 5 different backrank pieces, King, Vizier, Knight, Bishop, Elephant.

King could go one space either horizontally or vertically
Vizier went one space diagonally
Bishops went exactly 2 spaces diagonally
Rooks went exactly 2 spaces horizontally or vertically
Knights had the same move style they have today (which if you stop and superimpose a piece on a 5x5 grid, you'll see is "all of the squares that you can't hit with any of the other 4 pieces"

Well, except for the knight, everyone's gotten an upgrade. "Mad Queen's chess" only appeared in the early 15th century, although I'm not sure why it became so popular (probably because the queen/vizier was completely worthless in the aftermath of Rook and Bishop upgrades)
>>
>>44285674
>horizontally or vertically
The word is orthagonally, comes in handy
>>
>>44281451
stop trying to mess with chess, the whole idea of it was to be a simple game with simple rules that was won with supirior strategy and planning. The more you add the further you get away from chess and the less it becomes a game of skill of mind
>>
>>44285674
Have a small demonstration of that anon's point.

I'd have made the vizier able to copy the movement type of the piece your opponent just moved, to keep it interesting.
>>
>>44286695
No.
>>
>>44277940
>Egyptian game
>white pieces
c'mon guys

satire
>>
>>44277902
chess is love chess is life. I play a lot of it, allthough mainly on my phone vs a AI player so i get my ass heanded to me half the time.
>>
>>44286739
Brown is kind of a boring colour. All the variations look the same.

satire
>>
>>44286730
do what you want, but your changes will hurt the game not improve it. Chess is one of the few instances where one shold not add or subtract anything from the game
>>
>>44286841
Your evidenceless assertions convince no-one.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.