[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Tell group a week in advance that I'm taking a break

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13

File: 1446691990163.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446691990163.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>Tell group a week in advance that I'm taking a break from running our weekly tabletop game so I just kick back and relax
>Make it clear I don't feel like working on and running a big weekly game night until January
>Several members get angry/pissy/upset and yell at me for it
>Tell them to run their own damn game during the Holidays if they want to play that much instead of expecting me to do it
>Nothing but sou scowls

Why do people do this?
>>
>>44275662
cute pic dude
>>
>>44275662
Consistency breeds entitlement.
>>
>>44275662
Because they are entitled children who don't know how lucky they have it.
>>
File: 1359875737306.jpg (30KB, 326x282px) Image search: [Google]
1359875737306.jpg
30KB, 326x282px
>>44275662
>Tell group a week in advance that I'm not running the next week, but am willing to hang still because finals
>they surprised me with free alcohol and a oneshot where we stole a panda from the san diego zoo after nearly ODing on cocaine

your group a shit
>>
>>44275662
Your group is lucky that they only have one person who can't make it over the xmas period. My groups are usually down 2 or 3 people over that same time, and for a much longer duration (uni students going home for summer).

Sure, it's not ideal to be down the GM. But any one of them could give it a try. Worst case, he sucks at GMing and you come back to replace him as GM. Best case, he is a decent GM, everyone has fun, and you come back to replace him.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 350x191px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 350x191px
>>44277376
Do tell, anon
>>
Can we just bitch in this thread about our groups?

My players fucking freeze the moment they have to improvise and do something that isn't written down somewhere.

They took 6 hours to make up 5 skills for their characters.

6 fucking hours.

I played a whole adventure with a group of newbies in the same system under that time, including character creation.

It just makes me want to not even fucking try, if they can't even put that much work in. It was like pulling teeth.
>>
>Write 20k words of a campaign
>Gonna run some sweet ass Elder Scrolls RP
>Players are all ready
>Full 6 week Christmas holidays of RP
>One player pipes up
>"Oh I'm going to my caravan for 5 weeks"
>Oh okay

And now there's nothing on the holidays
>>
>>44277834
You play with gypsies (or mongols), anon. It could be far worse.
>>
>>44277834
>>"Oh I'm going to my caravan for 5 weeks"

Check your place and make sure everything is still there, then change the locks
>>
File: outplayed.webm (3MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
outplayed.webm
3MB, 852x480px
>>44275662

>GM for a group for two years +
>Campaign winds down, I don't really have another one I want to run
>Let the group know I'm gonna take a RPGing break for at least a couple months, encourage someone else to run something while I'm gone
>Two weeks later
>Get a super rude email from one of the players telling me what an asshole I am for "ruining" gaming night, and how if I was a decent person I wouldn't have bailed on the group

Some people are just pieces of shit in disguise.
>>
>Some people are just pieces of shit in disguise.

Ha ha yes. This is the most important lesson in life.
>>
>>44278039
>>44277994
Some people don't even bother with the disguise
>>
>>44278050
That at least is honesty on their part.
>>
File: fatalism-1.gif (2MB, 500x230px) Image search: [Google]
fatalism-1.gif
2MB, 500x230px
>ForeverDM
>Hey can we do something over christmas?
>I'm busy with finals but okay
>Character creation takes a day because one person's never played the system and the others are novices
>You know what
>It's Christmas
>Let's be silly
>Four super serious characters fought Rudolph the Red-Nosed Peryton earlier today on their way to find the cure for a curse that's turning people and houses into gingerbread
>>
File: Excited Skellington.gif (388KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
Excited Skellington.gif
388KB, 540x304px
My players are dumbasses.

They're buddying up to the current Sith Lord. And I've been giving them giant hints so far.

Then again, I can send at least one gleefully careening down the path of the dark side.

And I can bait them to a supply of Sith artifacts.
>>
>>44278242
>>44278103
Do tell, both of yous.
>>
File: Laughing Skelington.gif (1MB, 540x357px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Skelington.gif
1MB, 540x357px
>>44278274
Well... Not much to tell, yet.

I stuck the current Sith Lord for my Saga game, a total mockery of Mickey Mouse, in an opening part of the game, masquerading as a hobo who took up squatting.

So they find an ancient looking rat, with a high Wis score, and completely flub all their Knowledge, UTF, and Common Sense checks. The latter OoC, of course.

Right now, they seem to be taking him as an Obi Wan figure, somehow.

Best of all- The Imperial Knights that are setting up soup kitchens, medical aid, and clothing/blanket distributions for the poor are being treated like an evil cult that's trying to invade the planet. All because they're using military issue stuff,since it's what they can get cheaply and easily.
>>
>>44278347
Imperial Knights really are the coolest force users. What the Jedi should always have been.
>>
File: spookyweather.jpg (70KB, 504x750px) Image search: [Google]
spookyweather.jpg
70KB, 504x750px
>>44278388
That they are. But my players have pissed off two or four of them with their bullshit. And one's suspected of being a Sith, due to her force choking everybody.

>>44278242
>>44278347
Oh, and in my other game, everyone's ignoring he obviously bad news merchant/infobroker, and instead selling him massive chunks of onyx, the spare weapons they find, and all that.

Lemme tell you how the weather will be after he skips town, starting a civil war of succession, too.

Oh, look.
>>
>>44277953
Also if any kids go missing in the neighbourhood for gods sake don't promise to alibi your friend
>>
File: 1365036844670.png (250KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1365036844670.png
250KB, 500x380px
>>44277763
>Go over to friends house we game at regularly
>Player who plays as the Street Samurai says he has a one shot SR game for me to play in
>we quickly make characters, I make an infiltrator who is deathly afraid of birds
>GM says GREAT, and hands out the beer >after cracking open a few bottles we get to playing
>one mage with magic swords, a troll mafia enforcer, a drug addicted PI, a completely normal wage slave and my character go to the Rain Forest Cafe in the far flung future of 2072
>Obviously, screaming robotic toucans is not relevant to my characters interests, but money is, so things don't go off the rails just yet
>after finding out we have a week to steal a panda from the San Diego Zoo, we all elect to go to the zoo to stake the place out, driving in one car from the Not!Rain Forest cafe.
>Upon parking in the Zoo's parking lot, the troll procures copious amounts of cocaine (Read: 10 thousand nuyen worth)
>Everyone agrees to take as many hits as they can, with varying degrees of success
>The completely normal guy tried to refuse so the troll ended up shoving his face in the bag he cut open with a knife he was just threatening him with
>gotime.png
>guns stored in duffelbag, mage proceeds to cast a high level illusion spell that created a realistic mob rioting at the front of the Zoo entrance
>we high tail it in, hit up the mens bathroom for another few lines
>PI talks the crowd down in front of the panda exhibit as we have the troll breach the employee door with a kick, Completely average guy held in one hand by the collar
>At this point, the troll has entered the enclosure and people are getting scared
>PI says fuck it and fires off a bunch of rounds into the nearby cameras, scattering them
>Troll is the panda whisperer, manages to get it into a cage with wheels.
>We continue on into the employee parking zone where the Zoo trucks are held, and end up in a brief firefight with some sec not dealing with the fake riot
>Cont.
>>
>>44278659
>There just so happened to be some other employees who were moving a large cage full of rare and exotic birds into a nearby truck
>stray gun fire in their direction causes the bird cage to open, and the feathery terror is unleashed
>cue 3 turns of panicked SMG fire in every direction
>due to fear dicepool lowered to 3
>few okay rolls, last turn: 1, 1, 1.
>PANC.jpg
>troll takes a bullet for the panda, and the completely normal guy burns edge not to get his head blown off, most of the trucks windows shatter
>Am restrained by mage with another illusion spell that made the birds into flying loaves of bread
>proceed to put panda into the one truck not totally riddled with bullet holes, drive off with stolen keys
>place down a jammer in the truck after shooting out the perimeter drones tailing us with help from the PI
>troll calls up the johnson
>WE HAFF THE PANDA
>I.. What? YOU have it-
>WE HAFF THE PANDA FUCKO WHERE YOU WANT IT
>Johnson loses spaghetti, gives us directions, and we drop it off
>turns out it was a shapeshifter and the johnson was fucking the panda as his side bitch
>we celebrate their weird reunion with more cocaine, while torching the zoo vehicle
>>
>Running a sandbox mystery game
>Weird stuff going on left and right, they can investigate what they want.
>Litter their path with clues for their chosen investigation
>"WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!"

Maybe I'm not looking at it as a player would, but if I found invoices or out of place tomes or artefacts, ect, in the suspect's apartment I'd look into the company and the goods but no, they pocket things and ignore them. If I heard he was in a particular gang or hung out at particular places I'd check them out. People have outright told them to ask around about certain people but they've decided they don't care. Informants have come forward offering to squeal for favours and they agree, only to immediately drop it. They don't care and then complain they're not getting anywhere. Maybe this sort of game is not for them.
>>
>>44278659
>>44278716

Is this how Shadowrun games normally go? I mean, I can see most of it, but everyone doped to the gills with cocaine like it's fucking Pulp Fiction or Revolver or something, that's new to me.
>>
>finish last game
>didnt even announce or suggest me running a new game
>"anon, here are mine and chucklefuck's characters for next game"
>"backstories and build progression are in that folder two"

Hence began 15 minutes of bitching while I packed up after throwing the folder out a window into the trash. Little emotional but ive had enough. New group search for the new year it is.
>>
>>44278801
I'd say that it just isn't the sort of game they want to be playing. Ask them about it, and you might find out what they triely want to play. If they say they want to continue this campaign, then they're probably just not sure what they want to play. You may have to be the one to figure out what it is that they want to do. Maybe try to inspire them to speak their mind more often.

Or they're retarded. Just in case, keep all sharp objects away from, and try to convince them that safety helmets are a cool fashion accessory.
>>
>>44278801
If your players insist on sandbox and do this, what they really want is illusion of choice.

Loosely plan a plot and have different points of it trigger as they go. It is how I run Rogue Trader for people who have never looked far into 40k or are new to games not based around dungeon crawls or modules.
>>
I have this one guy in my group where I'm GMing who seems bored the last few sessions when we ask he says he isn't and also he is deliberately trying to 'break' the system we are playing. He isn't doing anything outside of tge rules but his attitudevis starting to piss me off desu. How do you guys act when one of your players are like this ?
>>
>>44278828
Pink Mohawk baby, every 'runner goes there at least once.
>>
>>44278920
Tell him that's not what the game is about. He can do that shit in his own time. If you've just started it would you consider changing the system if that's his problem? If he's detracting from everyone's enjoyment warn him you'll have to reconsider his being in the party for this game.
>>
>>44278968
I think he knows that this isn't about that but he doesn't really give a fuck but you're right I'm probably going to change the system a bit .
>>
>>44278659
>>GM says GREAT, and hands out the beer >after cracking open a few bottles we get to playing
>one mage with magic swords, a troll mafia enforcer, a drug addicted PI, a completely normal wage slave and my character go to the Rain Forest Cafe in the far flung future of 2072
>Obviously, screaming robotic toucans is not relevant to my characters interests, but money is, so things don't go off the rails just yet

Wait, I think you missed something here. So there was a shapeshifter who wanted you to... well, not steal a panda, but was pretty okay with it once you ended up stealing it?
>>
>>44278716
We're you working for David Bowie and the Guild of Calamitous Intent?
>>
>>44277086
>>44277328

Being entitled would mean they really deserve what they want. The correct saying is "feeling entitled".

Sorry for this gramatical disgression
>>
>>44275662
>two players are missing from five man group due to finals or other things
>throw plans out the window for the day, have everyone roll up attendant spirits to one of the characters in simpled6
>they go on crazy adventures on a quest to cheer up their master by finding cinnamon sticks for cooking, braving rowdy sailors, angry ship spirits and a tempest in a fairy
>everyone loved it after five minutes of ad-libbing

>am now taking a few weeks of holiday off GMing and players are going to be doing side sessions amongst themselves while that happens

Why are your players shit, is the better question?
>>
>>44278659
>>44278716
That was good, those kinds of runs are always the best
>>
File: entitlement.png (15KB, 504x253px) Image search: [Google]
entitlement.png
15KB, 504x253px
>>44280398
>>
>>44282301

My bad
>>
>>44282301
Not the anon you're responding to, but it can mean both things. And the example explicitly says "a sense of entitlement"

Just saying.
>>
>>44282792
>And the example explicitly says "a sense of entitlement"
The definition works as written in each sentence.
"Consistency breeds {the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.}
"no wonder your kids have a sense of {the belief that [they are] inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.}
and so on

> but it can mean both things.
This is absolutely correct, but I'm not disagreeing with it.
I was disagreeing with 44280398/44282432, who initially said the alternate meaning was incorrect.

/tries to not be off topic
>>44278103
>Four super serious characters fought Rudolph the Red-Nosed Peryton earlier today on their way to find the cure for a curse that's turning people and houses into gingerbread
Were the people and houses turned to gingerbread separately, or as a set?
>Character creation takes a day because one person's never played the system and the others are novices
What system was it?
>>
File: a20151224.jpg (173KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
a20151224.jpg
173KB, 1024x768px
>>44278091
Brutally honest means you like the BRUTALITY as much as the honesty.
>>
>>44278844
Why the overemotional response?
>>
>>44283367
Simultaneously; just limbs (on the people) and patches/corners (of the houses), but it's spreading. One of the PCs was infected but the cleric cured it with Lesser Restoration. And it's 5th edition D&D.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.