[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The /btg/ is dead, long live the /btg/! Remove yiff edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 39

The /btg/ is dead, long live the /btg/!

Remove yiff edition

Old thread: >>44225099
=====================

>/btg/ does a TRO.
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam) spot.com/

>The Happening has Happened and it was glorious:
http://bg.battletech.com/news/news-and-announcements/drop-pod-sequence-initiatedthree-two-one/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5 (embed)

>Can I get an overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what mechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Battletech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx (embed)

>Sarna.net - Battletech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of Battletech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/

>Battletech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
Can I hold you butte?
>>
File: Chevalier TRO.png (30KB, 566x922px) Image search: [Google]
Chevalier TRO.png
30KB, 566x922px
Posting my last build, a 3025 Era sniper with the speed to stay at range and armor enough to take a few hits while doing damage. Anything fast enough to get under the PPCs minimum range can be trouble, but they have to close the gap first.
>>
Lyran/FWL anon here again.

With the small BT community we've got locally, there's been some talk about running some kind of simple campaign.
Are there any specific rulesets/systems that would work well for that?

Keep in mind that many of us aren't that experienced in BT yet and massive amounts of bookkeeping would probably scare several of our players off.
>>
Okay, so I admit, I'm 100% out of the loop on Battletech and I'm just visiting because I'm working on another mech project, but I've got a lore question.

Is it ever explained why Battletech mechs are exclusively humanoid, given that they seem to have a very conventional cockpit layout (joystick, throttle, foot pedals)? It seems like it'd be easier to make something wheeled or tracked, or even with 4+ legs, than something humanoid on such a basic control scheme.
>>
>>44263563
Almost exclusively humanoid, I meant. All the major notable ones I've seen are, and pretty much everything that's shown up in Mechwarrior is, at least.
>>
>>44263563
Neurohelmets yo.
Also waldos and macros and shit.
Read the tech manual writeup if you want the whole story.
>>
>>44263586
Huh, all right. I'm not familiar with the layout of /btg/'s mediafire, any particular books you'd point me toward by name?
>>
>>44263622
The tech manual should be in one of the basic rulebook folders, I think
>>
>>44263538

Go look at the Cincy battletech site. They run a bunch of campaigns, and their rulesets are generally posted publicly. I lurk the site regularly. The Apocalypse rising campaign was goddamn amazing, and I know the campaign rules are posted. They're just about to start another campaign, board is here:

http://forums.cincybattletech.com/index.php?board=26.0
>>
Man, the medium xpl is pretty nice.
>>
If I want to Lyran without using assaults, how do I do that?

Metric fucktons of Griffins, Hunchbacks and Commandos?
>>
>>44264375
They make some really good lighter stuff.

>Lights
Wolfhound, Commando, Razorback, Arctic Fox, Night Hawk, Talon, Scarabus

>Mediums
Mongoose II, Stealth, Enfield, Hunchback, Nightsky, Starslayer, Uziel, Bushwacker, Griffin
>>
>>44264465
Forgot the based Hollander II. Does any successor state make better mechs than the Lyrans?
>>
>>44264465
Spector, yo.
>>44264510
Seeing as House Cameron is dead, no.
>>
>>44263952
Looks pretty interesting, but not really suited for what we've got in terms of playerbase and minis collections.
At least, unless I had the time to seriously mod one of their systems.

In fact, I'm not entirely sure which era (and general area) would work for setting our campaign; we've got a few people with mostly introtech stuff, a few Clan fans and a few returning veterans with pretty large collections.
>>
Link to that wonderful fan made RAT?

I am in need of it and am mobile enough that it is preventing me from finding it.

Many thanks.
>>
>>44263436
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chevalier
The name: Chevalier is an existing Light tank, Cavalier is taken too, as it's the name of a battle armour.

Good concept though, persistence snipers who are built to chip away at enemies are a good strategy for tabletop warfare
>>
File: 800px-Chevalier.jpg.png (366KB, 800x568px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Chevalier.jpg.png
366KB, 800x568px
>>44265334
>>44263436
Forgot pic of Chevalier light tank
>>
>>44263563
Basically it's because a mech uses a balancing gyro in conjunction with a neurohelmet, the latter transmitting the pilot's own sense of balance to the mech to help keep it upright. So a humanoid mech is earlier for a pilot to keep upright than anything else.
>>
File: Doughboy TRO.png (31KB, 565x973px) Image search: [Google]
Doughboy TRO.png
31KB, 565x973px
>>44265334
>>44265355
Damn, I thought I finally had a good name. Lancer is an aerospace fighter, Uhlans are a unit, hard to find one that isn't used.

This one is a similar mech, get to medium range and stay there with a good movement curve and decent armor.
I could downgrade the AC-10 to an AC-5 and replace the Large Laser with a PPC for a longer range damage profile but it would suffer at short range.
>>
>>44265828
AC/5 and PPC makes it a baby Banshee, though.
>>
>>44264375
Don't forget heavies. They also have some very nice thuds and of course the classic Archer, Warhammer and Marauder
>>
>>44265429

Just an addendum: This video gives a better idea of what a "Gyro" means in Battletech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_6p-1J551Y

It's not like a gyro in a plane that measures "up" - it's a reaction wheel that manages the balance of the machine and helps it to lean in the direction that it wants to travel, according to the sense of balance of the pilot. Hence why it has to be several tons; it needs to mitigate and counteract the forces acting on the machine.
>>
>>44266942
Sounds about right. Baby Banshee or Fat Enforcer
>>
I like where this thread is going
Everybody, post your troopers.
>>
>>44267364
Zeus 9T.
Or any Lyran Thud.
>>
File: Warhammer 8M2.png (77KB, 600x642px) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer 8M2.png
77KB, 600x642px
>>44267364
Have a "fixed" Regulan Warhammer.
>>
>>44267673
Imagine a world where Light Gauss designs had been treated the same as RAC designs, where 'Mechs like the Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Rifleman, Tempest, Warhammer, etc. etc. used the weapon well instead of adding it to otherwise shitty 'Mechs.
>>
>>44267899
Sorry, I don't buy into the Marik Light Gauss rifle conspiracy.
>>
>>44267128
Always wondered about that. Still, you should be able to keep a mech upright without gyros if you take your time and get proper feedback from your feet.

Also, a one ton gyro could very well explode and cause secondary damage if it's damaged in combat.
>>
>>44268483
Mechs can and do function properly without a neurohelmet, just don't expect them to be relatively nimble, they'd probably end up being closer to the power loader from Aliens.
>>
>>44268540
The neurohelmet, I get. Why make a balancing computer from scratch when the pilot has one already. It's the gyros that puzzle me.
>>
>>44268918
Because it's the future of the 1980s, so overly complex machines are everywhere.
>>
>>44268918
'Cause they weren't using the gyro to calibrate sensors and provide microfeedback to the servos but the actual mechanical gyroscopic effect itself.

Also, in case of sudden pilot unconsciousness.
>>
>>44267899
>otherwise shitty
You don't need any "other" with that wise.
The LGR is mediocre enough by itself.
>>
>>44265334
>persistence snipers who are built to chip away at enemies are a good strategy for tabletop warfare

notsureiftrollorjustretarded.jpg
>>
File: Catapult_K2_03_1.jpg (238KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Catapult_K2_03_1.jpg
238KB, 1920x1080px
How does /btg/ feel about MechWarrior Online?
>>
>>44269344
imagine a world in which the LGR is good

Imagine a world in which there are RACLGRs or LLGRs or ULGRs
>>
>>44269606
It is pretty boring.
I still have a founder's Atlas and premium time and I can't bring myself to play it.
>>
>>44269606
all the mechs look like generic shit
>>
File: Z0045958.jpg (148KB, 1023x893px) Image search: [Google]
Z0045958.jpg
148KB, 1023x893px
>>44269939
>all the mechs look like generic shit
so it is exactly like TRO 3025?
>>
Is there an inner sphere mech like the piranha?

At year 3050 or earlier.
>>
>>44269606
Only realy fun to play lights and SANIC around.
>>
>>44270059
only the anime shit
>>
File: totally not generic.png (377KB, 1120x434px) Image search: [Google]
totally not generic.png
377KB, 1120x434px
>>44270273
only the anime shit ISN'T generic
look at this, you can't get more generic than this
>>
File: Combined Peripheryfag AU mechs.png (416KB, 2684x2224px) Image search: [Google]
Combined Peripheryfag AU mechs.png
416KB, 2684x2224px
>>44265254
you mean xotl's?
>>44269671
the LGR isn't BAD, it's just situational; it's pretty nice on vehicles IMO
>>44267364
have four troopers. ignore the fulff, it's from an AU where tech levels are higher across the board; these could easily be 3055-58-era fedcom designs in the canon verse
>>
>>44270609
>4 mechs
>4 LBX-10
Use enough shotgun there, butch?
>>
>>44270890
There's such a thing?
>>
>>44270059
Gr8 b8 m8!
>>
>>44269606
Apparently it's the ultimate Stockholm syndrome game, in a way. Most of the negative reviews on steam start with some variation of "I've played 500 hours, it's bad". I always thought that you're supposed to not play bad games, instead of play them even more than good games just to confirm the badness :P
>>
>>44263341
>missiles and lasers on infantry

Goddamnit, that is what the light machine guns are for
>>
>>44270609
>the LGR isn't BAD, it's just situational; it's pretty nice on vehicles IMO

Damning with faint praise
>>
>>44263341
Can we stop having people fuck up or forget the OP subject? "BattleTech General", it's not hard to type, but they've missed it the last two threads.
>>
>>44269606
It's what BattleMechs would look like if they actually existed. Generic metal plate armor, flat surfaces, BAWKSES, and angular walking tank aesthetics. A lot of people don't care for it. I like they way they look personally. Game is pretty shit though; the BT tabletop does NOT translate well to FPS vidya becayse MLas boating will always be OP without changing the rules of how the game functions to a degree that it's no longer BattleTech, it's a BattleTech flavored/colored Cawadooty clone where different classes have different move speeds.
>>
File: mwo.png (3MB, 2436x1405px) Image search: [Google]
mwo.png
3MB, 2436x1405px
>>44271068
>truth is bait
see >>44270409
3025 has the most generic mechs in the game. A bunch of humanoid mechs with similar legs/arms/torso. Zeus and Atlas, Centurion and Panther, Commando and Victor, Vindicator and Whitworth, they are basically the same thing. Put their original art side by side and see for yourself
If you think MWO is more generic than 3025 you must be delusional, biased or simply blind
>>
>>44265051
The Chaos Campaign rules might be what you're looking for, although they'd take a bit of working with to prep before the campaign start. The book should be in the OP links.
>>
>>44271322
I actually think the MWO designs look pretty cool.
>>
>>44271227
I mean, it pairs well with LRMs and ERPPCs, and it can be hilariously annoying when massed on a vee
>>
>>44270201

Firestarter.

>>44271227

The LGR itself is actually fine. It's just that most designs with one are completely shit. Stuff like the Sirocco variant or the Vanquisher use it properly, but by the time those roll around the LGR is strongly associated with shitmobiles like the GRF-5M "upgrade" to the GRF-3M where the LGR is used badly and winds up costing the design compared to older models.
>>
>>44269113
Yeah, but the legs and jump jets already do that. Unless it was a horribly built machine those mechanisms are entirely redundant.
>>
>>44272355
The LGR is not good. This is not the fault of the LGR, but the fault of the game. Long-ranged combat, which the LGR is best at, is at best an intro to the actual fighting at range 0-6 or so. At worst, it's entirely ignorable.
>>
>>44272407
On big maps, playing keep away with fast units is definitely an option.
An annoying, shitty one. But an option nonetheless
>>
>>44265334
>The name: Chevalier is an existing Light tank, Cavalier is taken too, as it's the name of a battle armour.

There's precedent for that not mattering.
>>
>>44272407
Do you understand the concept of using screening units to prevent the enemy from closing to range 0-6? Or using something like BA or infantry to deter your opponent from closing to point-blank ranges?
>>
>>44272678
I'm familiar with the concept, but it's never enough

>>44272498
If you're going to do that, you're better of with an ERPPC or an actual GR. One does headcaps, and the other is lighter and has infinite ammo and does more damage. At that range and with that strategy your opponent is likely to be missing anyways.

That being said, it's unlikely to work anyways. My experience is that the enemy *will* eventually close, and you're unlikely to have done enough damage by that point.
>>
>>44271295
I wouldn't call it a cod clone, they pretty much lifted the MechWarrior game series mechanics and applied a new coat of paint. If anything, they're trying to copy World of Tanks or War Thunder.

One of the problemd is that the games were intentionally unbalanced towards heavy mechs with laser weapons. To some extent, this was intentional as the mechwarrior series was based around the single player campaign and heavier mechs were a reward for progressing through the story. The entire formula is nearly two decades old and hasn't aged well.

Another problem is that BT has never been about single mechs going on a rampage. They've always been about teams of not just mechs but tanks, infantry, and air support all working together to win.

Finally, the mechs just don't feel right to control. Torso twists are unintuitive, throttles are sluggish and overly complex, and since everybody else has a heavy or assault mech with no incentive to choose otherwise there's no feeling of superiority you normally get for playing The Heavy.
>>
>>44272768
>I'm familiar with the concept, but it's never enough
Then no offense, but you're not experienced enough with long or mid-ranged combat. I'd suggesting practicing more.
>>
>>44272840
>Then no offense, but you're not experienced enough with long or mid-ranged combat. I'd suggesting practicing more.

you'd be wrong, fuckboi. FWL player of 20 years.
>>
>>44272879
Which means shit if you spent those 20 years playing on 1x1 maps.
>>
>>44272930
I think 50x50 is too small

But keep being a dumb cunt who makes baseless assumptions
>>
>>44272930
How do I acquire parts in MekHQ? It keeps telling me that everything has an impossible TN.
>>
>>44272768
>No screening
Dude, I've fought many battles with only elementals and LRM carriers. I haven't won many battles like that but it's usually left my opponents dumbfounded with how to deal with me.
>>
>>44273000
Dude, you're playing on maps that are apparently larger than 50x50, and you can't prevent games from devolving into a 0-6 hex brawl.

Seriously?
>>
>>44272778
Yeah, I dunno if it's CoD that does the "job" thing; one of them does. Anyway, you're also right, but not entirely. Light 'Mechs are very very good in capable hands in MWO, where they weren't in MW games. I have more kills in my 4xMG Locust than in anything but my Catapult, and that's only because I haven't played it as long. Or didn't, I should say, since I have since hung the game up.

As far as trying to incentivize Heavies, I disagree, though I agree the game is flooded with Assaults because they are easy to play. They wanted more Mediums, as far as I recall in some mission statement or another (feel free to question the validity of this because I don't feel arsed to look it up and have no link to show you) but either way, it didn't end up as they intended, and Assaults are the go-to, so you're spot on there.

I also agree that the combined arms aspect is something that's lacking, and maybe the BattleTech game we're getting next year will fix that. Since it's just "fancy MegaMek" I think we'll get a much more satisfying experience from it.
>>
>>44273027
Gotta have an Admin guy in the Logistical position and with scrounge, and then use the Buy Parts option.
>>
>>44273000
Your ITG is off the fucking charts. LOL!
>>
File: ?.png (95KB, 943x557px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
95KB, 943x557px
>>44273189
Still not working, but thanks.
>>
>>44273204
>thinking that's ITG
>LOL!
You really are a dumb cunt.
>>
>>44271082
I definitely get that, it runs on a variant of the WoT-style f2p model, wherein you have to buy the 'Mechs with an in-game currency and you have to grind them out by playing or bypass that system with premium. Usually that's enough to chase me off, but it's surprisingly fair this time around: even without premium it would take only about 20 games to get a decent 30 tonner (~150k credits a match, 'Mechs cost ~100k credits per ton). Also, there's a seperate game mode where you sign a loyalty contract to a faction and play longer, siege-style games for much more credits with several games' worth of credits as a win bonus.

The community is incredibly nice and actually quite skilled in general, or rather they aren't mouth-breathing idiots most of the time. People regularly use comms, call out enemies, use the battlegrid. I find the game to be genuinely fun and solidly made, but it probably helps that I've never actually played anything Battletech before this (beyond Mechwarrior 2 in my grandparents' basement).
>>
The fuck is ITG
>>
>>44273204
the fuck is ITG
>>
>>44273157
Arguably, any mech with a good enough pilot will kick ass. However, because lasers are hitscan weapons, anyone with good reflexes can tag you.

Your right about how they tried to push mediums with priority match making. The problem was that the gameplay simply gave assault mechs a huge advantage. This wasn't really the fault of the designers since they were recreating MechWarrior 4/5 rather than creating something from scratch and That game would walk you up from lights to assaults over the course of a campaign. It didn't make much sense to have a player get this brand new Timber Wolf just to get spanked by an NPC's Locust.

And as for the new BattleTech? I hope they have air power supported. I really want to try my Elemental Paratrooper list but there's nobody nearby to play with.
>>
>>44273783
>>44274172
"Internet Tough Guy," if google/urban dictionary is right.
>>
>>44274373
Ah. Then yeah, I don't think he's an ITG. Just an idiot.
>>
>>44264465
Does the Nightsky count as a clanbuster? I mean it has melee and good armor.
>>
File: Battletech-Scale-Group.png (3MB, 7000x2538px) Image search: [Google]
Battletech-Scale-Group.png
3MB, 7000x2538px
>>44272210
seconding an appreciation of the MWO art style, it has a mechanically practical aesthetic that I really like.
>>
File: Tengu.png (435KB, 1011x923px) Image search: [Google]
Tengu.png
435KB, 1011x923px
I did some looking around but was not able to find an answer, does anyone know what speed a unit with a base move of 2 with a Detachable Weapon Pack and a Mechanical Jump Booster would have?
>>
Do Rocket Launchers trigger AMS?
>>
>>44276010
Yes
>>
>>44276010
I laughed at this and my gf came and looked over my shoulder and shook her head. I was going to try to explain it to her because she knows about SJWs and Tumblr but I decided to just maintain the integrity of the moment and keep chuckling.

I have been here way too long.
>>
>>44276177
I'm now imagining an AMS yelling about how "this is a missile-free SAFE SPACE!!!!"
>>
>>44276269
kek
>check your semi-guided privilege REEEE
>>
I got the introductory box a few days ago, just finished reading every single thing inside it.
>anyone I know who plays board games is at their homes for winter break
>>
>>44276970
MegaMek, my friend. You too can know the joy of beating down a semi-retarded AI opponent! Or play against a *gasp* REAL HUMAN over the internets!
The download link's in the OP.
>>
>>44273589
Grr! Use more swear words! It's super-effective.
>>
>>44275249
I mean they're not all perfect - the Centurion doesn't look much like a Centurion - but they have some good interpretations of existing designs. I love their version of the Cataphract.
>>
>>44277227
>java
>>
>>44277319
Well, nothing's perfect. MegaMek is more less perfect than many things.
>>
>>44277410
It has its foibles, but you should really stop being an ungrateful shithead
>>
>>44273370
Based on that pic, you're looking at the weapons page. That 175,000 C-bill weapon's a large pulse laser, which is a fairly rare piece of kit, and the other Impossibles before the 4+ options are other pulse lasers. I believe it's an availability thing - there simply isn't anyone willing or able to sell you pulse lasers.
>>
Anyone know where the rules for Clan Interface Cockpits are? Are they just the same as the Wobbie ones, or are they different?
>>
>>44269606
Sorely disappointed it looks nothing like your image in any way shape or form.

>Use Cryengine
>make game that looks good
>make it look awful over several patches
>>
>>44279021
>MWO
>making smart decisions

topkek
>>
>>44278886
The rules are in thr IO beta, but if memory serves correctly the only difference is the WOB version uses VDNI, and the clan version EI.
>>
>>44272210
Everyone besides life-hating grognards think that the MW:O artstyle is the best.
I'll concede that they absolutely murdered the look of the mad cat and mad dog though. Fuck me.
>>
>>44278886
They are functionally identical, but developed from different sources. Clan Interface grew out of the Superheavy Protomech research rather than from advancing the VDNI system. Hence the differences the earlier anon mentioned.
>>
>>44280227
Any artist that is ever going to depict a Timberwolf in any product has to first get sat down and told the story of why it has the nickname "Madcat" and only then may they begin... In this case there was some chicken-and-egg fuckery and they would have had to take cues from the Madcat for their reseen Marauder design. But that didn't seem to happen either. (Not mad about the Mad though, as it's anything Shimmyseen-derived is a win in my opinion.)
>>
>>44280227
As far as redesigns, it's ok. Remember the Mad Cat Mk.II, and how that was Microsoft's 'Mad Cat' in MW4 before it got changed as no one knew what it was meant to be.

So yeah... it could always be worse.
>>
Does anyone remember which book had that list of unit compositions, as in the numbers of light/medium/heavy/assault lances in light, medium etc. companies and battalions? I could have sworn it was in one of the very old ones, but I've went through them and so far no joy.

Putting a line like "the Fifth Oriente Hussars is a light regiment" in a book and then providing no crunch to assign proper ratios of 'Mechs to it should be a capital offence.
>>
File: BF1 statistical data.png (563KB, 1500x969px) Image search: [Google]
BF1 statistical data.png
563KB, 1500x969px
>>44281218
battleforce
>>
>>44281274
Isn't there a modified one that lists weight class percentage by house?
I can't imagine Lyrans have only 10% of their forces be assaults, or that Dracs would have anything close to 40% mediums.
>>
>>44281274
Wait, isn't there something off with the maths on this? How are there 32 lances and 128 'Mechs in a regiment? I thought it was 30 if it's straight battalions plus a command company.
>>
>>44281308
IIRC the 20 Year Update had a list like that, but I'm not able to check though.
>>
>>44281308
I've never seen one that broke the weights down by House. Every House has thousands of 'Mechs, and they don't lose them all that fast. I suspect the Lyrans keep their assault fraction down to 10% by constantly throwing their assault 'Mechs into the meatgrinder - so their assaults are what players see on the front lines - while Dracs keep their medium fraction up by keeping their mediums benched. Plus the leavening effects of mercs, salvage, etc.

>>44281354
There's a comment in there about 3025 being in the midst of the change from integrated command elements to separate command elements. So they're figuring 1 command lance per battalion, and a 2-lance command element at regimental level. (The regimental command unit changes to 3 lances in the 3058-ish Field Manuals.)
>>
>>44281218

Probably the 4th SW Atlases.

>>44281362

20YU just lists has a unit and deployment list with some fluff about the War of 3039 and the current state of each faction.
>>
>>44281308
Xotl's tables have a weight class breakdown by house in the section of notes at the beginning.
>>
>>44281419
>1 command lance per battalion, and a 2-lance command element at regimental level

Well, that does make sense. I've got to admit I've never seen that 2-lance command group organisation before.

>>44281459
Cheers, I'll have to check the 4SW books when I get to my proper computer.
>>
Noob here.
Played Mechassault when i was a kid and recently picked up MWO.
How does one start the Wargame?
It's a very intricate universe and a hell of a lot cheaper than Warhammer, so I'm willing to give it a shot.
>>
>>44282740
Personally, I started with the small rulebook from the introductory box, a printed mapsheet or two and some printed 'mech tokens.
That allowed me to get into playing quite nicely and it's very portable as well. I think all you need for that is in our folders.

After that, I got myself the intro box so I had a pile of 'mech minis and some high-quality mapsheets.
You can go with that immediately if you're willing to spend some money straight away. It gives you everything you'd need to play for a long time.

After you grasp the rules in there, you can grab Total Warfare (the proper core rules) and expand to include more tech and different unit types.
Just take that expansion step by step.

You could also give MegaMek a try if you want to try playing online, with much of the bookkeeping taken care of for you.
>>
>>44263952

>implying that any of this is either good, well-written, or helpful in any way

You may as well recommend somebody read the OF for help. Cincy contributes nothing of value to the community, and they think they're all that. This is what happens when you get real-life groups together for a long time, and it's a good example of why you SHOULDN'T.
>>
>>44283895
>Cincy contributes nothing of value to the community, and they think they're all that
Not true, they contribute a model of how you might sustain a long term community.
>>
>>44284001
Ignore him, he's our local Cincy hater who hacked NEA's account. He also called NEA a cheater for accepting meds when he was sick during a tourney.

I'll add "dedicated long-term gaming groups are bad for games" to the list of his delusions.
>>
>>44283895
Oh joy, it's you again.
Do you still think having friends is an unforgivable crime?
>>
>>44284077
Oh man, that was so fucking sad. Somebody actually called having friends the equivalent of cheating@life for two thirds of a thread.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (474KB, 1439x1583px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
474KB, 1439x1583px
Do any of you know which mech/vehicle is that behind the box? Is that Battletech-related, right? It looks like Plog's work, but I don't recognize it
>>
>>44285137
Ares
>>
>>44285137
Hmm... it's a vee, but I don't recognize it. You're right, def Plog's style.

>>44285162
Behind the box. Y'know, the box with "Poseidon" written on it.
>>
>>44285137
Doesn't look like anything canon or any custom designs of his I've seen.
>>
>>44285210
I am a giant idiot.
>>
>>44285212
Maybe some design art for ClickyTech that didn't get used?
>>
>>44285643
AFAIK, Plog didn't do much for the initial DA designs. It's possible though.
>>
>>44281218
>>44281274
>>44281308
>>44281419
>>44281494
is there anything with weight distributions for later eras than 3028? because fluff from the 50s and 60s gives the impression that mech forces are getting heavier overall
>>
>>44286494

Not with hard numbers, no.

Besides, even hard numbers won't help much. So the Dracs have more heavies and lights than they do mediums? Yay. Their heavies are mostly Dragons (3025 vintage with and A/C-5) and their Lights are mostly Panthers and bugs, it's not like the numbers of anything decent went up.
>>
>>44287381
That's what the RATs are for you mong
>>
>>44287381
What does that have to do with anything?
I know it's been a while since we had a Drac whine thread, but please, you don't have to shitpost just because other people are too.
>>
>>44287381
What, they haven't finished upgrading them all to 3025 Grand Dragons by 3150? Also, you forgot the Jenner swarms.
>>
>>44287381
Wassa matter anon, your girl kek you with the big black dragon?
>>
>>44287712
I think he was talking about the 3060s. At least I hope so, cause the DRG-1N Dragon is extinct come the Early Republic era.

To add onto >>44286494, I seem to remember reading that commands were getting heavier throughout the sphere...but I can't remember where. In any case, I'd ignore the "Dracs field Lights and Heavies only" trope in the current era; it, like the League PPC shortage, has probably gone the way of the dodo.
>>
>>44284077
>He also called NEA a cheater for accepting meds when he was sick during a tourney.

What exact performance were these drugs enhancing? "not committing bone-head moves that cost your team the game because you've got a raging fever"?
>>
>>44288093

As I remember the argument, it was something like "receiving outside assistance during a tourney, especially from CGL staff, is cheating." Since NEA didn't have the meds himself, and they were given to him by people on the demo team, that constitutes outside assistance. If he was sick enough to need meds, he should have dropped out of the tourney.

Note that I'm not saying this is a good, valid, or in any way NOT a fucktarded argument. But it was the one that was presented, and it DOES have a certain internal logic to it. Albeit one based on a terrible premise that assumes "friendship = cheating".
>>
>>44287620

>What does that have to do with anything?

Drac mass distributions were mentioned up-thread, and not by me either.

>>44287712

>by 3150?

3150 =/= 3050-3067.

>Also, you forgot the Jenner swarms.

What you might see in your local meta isn't indicative of what the Dracs are supposed to mostly be fielding in canon. Which is primarily Panthers and Bugs for lights, with the Jenner not being as common as those, especially the Panther.

>>44287903

At least in the case of the Dracs, it is mentioned in their FM that their forces are starting to look more like those of other states and that XL-engine heavies are starting to take the slots that Lights used to occupy.

Average masses creeping up seems to be mentioned in multiple places but hard numbers are never really given. Still, I'd expect the average mass to have gone up from the 40-45 ton mark or so of 3025 to 50-60 tons by about 3060. Just that different factions will have different ways of getting to that average mass. Dracs with the Dragon/Panther split, FedSuns with tons of Centurions and Enforcers, Lyrans with Commandos and Fafnirs (well, not really, more like the Zeus driving up the average, but memers gotta meme), and so on.
>>
File: battlemaster.jpg (242KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
battlemaster.jpg
242KB, 894x894px
How would I get my friends in BT? I havent even played myself (those i've play MechCommander and that was alot of fun)
>>
File: TRO 3145 Mercenaries.jpg (1MB, 1920x1242px) Image search: [Google]
TRO 3145 Mercenaries.jpg
1MB, 1920x1242px
>>44289968
Show them good art and good minis. No one can resist beautiful robots
>>
>>44290038
>No one can resist beautiful robots
Alas, I have a friend that refuses to play if everyone isn't using 100% vees and infantry.
>>
>>
>>44290086
So have him play Marik. Combined arms ftw.
>>
>>44290369
Except that's not how that battle went... it was mostly infantry on the inside trying to hold of Elementals while the Falcon Guards moved through the canyon.
>>
>>44290463
You should email the artist and canon-shame his art
>>
>>44290419
Have him play a Marik infantry officer.
>>
>>44290463

There were three fights at Twycross, Anon. First time the Falcons spanked the Lyrans, though I don't know if those units are the right ones from that fight. Then there was the Victor-lead counter-attack you're describing. Later, the Steel Vipers showed up with two Clusters and BTFO'd two dug-in veteran FedCom RCTs in short order.

>>44289968

You can always try the video games. MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries is legally and freely available via torrents.
>>
>>44284077
>He also called NEA a cheater for accepting meds when he was sick during a tourney.

Hold up. Please elaborate.
>>
>>44290879
The Great Gash was specifically described as being involved only in Victor's fight and the Refusal War, the former because it was a pass to the rear area of the AFFC forces involved in Victor's attack. Now that's not to say that the AFFC didn't get into combat near the mouth of the canyon, but still.
>>
File: typical battletech player.png (65KB, 1398x221px) Image search: [Google]
typical battletech player.png
65KB, 1398x221px
>>44291323
That pretty much sums it up. NEA was playing in a bloodname tourney but was seriously fucked up. Some friends of his gave him meds, NEA felt better and went on to win the Hazen bloodname you'll see posted here every once in a while.
>>
>>44292038
Woops meant to link >>44289162
>>
>>44292038
So a person was sick and some people helped a sick person?

OMG teh cheatingzzzz!!!!!!!1

Yeah no. Decent people did a decent thing to help a person in need. How can that ever be considered 'cheating'?
>>
>>44292619
Anything can be considered anything with enough schizophrenic delusion.

The hazard of any community being inclusive is that someone who is mentally fucked can include themselves in it. Battletech is no exception.
>>
>>44292619
When you're an autismal asshole who has nothing else in his life but arbitrarily decided monomaniacal hatred.
Maybe some sort of bad fate ought to be arranged for such men, but alas, not so far
>>
>>44292619
>How can that ever be considered 'cheating'?
Because non-connected types who got sick couldn't rely on free meds, thus it was a different treatment and an advantage.

I can see how it could be considered 'unfair'. I think winning because your opponent fell ill would have been unsporting and not in the proper spirit. The best answer would have been for his opponent to help him with the drugs.
>>
OK, Vehrec, you're the guy with the LGBT battletech group. There's no way in hell I'm touching that topic on the main forum, but since you brought it up here last thread or something...

Does your transgender friend not understand that part of roleplaying involves *not* playing as themselves? And that there might be settings that aren't leftist social utopias for everyone involved? I don't even get what's so terrible about battletech; you could easily run the game to have three of the Successor States and most of the major periphery states be more than welcoming of them.
>>
People from the OF are the cancer killing /btg/
>>
>>44293954
Pretty sure /btg/ is killing itself, if >>44283895 is any indicator...
>>
File: 1448231999836.jpg (322KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1448231999836.jpg
322KB, 2048x2048px
>>44293812
They can just be from MoC right? Furthermore, no one would really give a shit in setting. Except for the Clans for obvious reasons.

>>44293954
>>44293973
BT grogs are the reason for this.
>>
>>44292937
>The best answer would have been for his opponent to help him with the drugs.

Given the quality of bottom-feeder we were talking about here, he'd probably try giving him ipecac or laxative, then demand the referee rule in his favor when the guy had to flee for the bathroom.
>>
>>44294319
I would shit in my pants before giving my opponent the satisfaction of beating me via laxative poisoning.

I'm not sure what that says about me to others, but I'm prepared to do it.
>>
>>44294563
I think the tournament floor rules would thwart such a plan. At least in most formal events I've played they would.

We're I to stoop to such a tactic and my opponent were to hold fast like you I think I'd start angling to have them removed from the venue.

Course, that first require me to stoop to poison to win.
>>
File: Wayne Waco.jpg (87KB, 245x513px) Image search: [Google]
Wayne Waco.jpg
87KB, 245x513px
>>44294563
Why, it tells us that you're a man of singular drive and determination, friend anon! I happen to know a similar gentleman looking for partners in a venture destined to go down in history!
>>
>>44292937
>Because non-connected types who got sick couldn't rely on free meds, thus it was a different treatment and an advantage.

How can you say that if nobody else was sick, though? For all we know, anyone could have come to the demo team and asked for asprin. But since only NEA was sick (by all accounts), then only he actually needed it. It's less a matter of connections and more a matter of "he was the only person who was sick in the first place." Whether someone else would have received first aid is immaterial; they didn't need it, so of course they didn't get it.
>>
File: wayne waco.jpg (106KB, 549x720px) Image search: [Google]
wayne waco.jpg
106KB, 549x720px
>>44294692
I must admit, I am a Waco fan.
>>
>>44294692
What if Waco brought a Strategic nuke for the initial strike?
>>
>>44294984
He really didn't need it. The attack on the Wolves basically decapitated them, and if it wasn't for the fact that the Wolves were in the DA already, it probably would have gone off without a hitch.
>>
>>44294686
If the tournament floor rules mean that by poisoning me you have essentially forced my forfeit, I would do everything within my power to give your mechs a fresh new coating of Devlan Mud straight from the pot before my forced removal.
>>
>>44294963
>>44294963
>How can you say that if nobody else was sick, though?
This is the trick though, the case can't be proved one way or the other really. Unless you could pull their floor rules, or something from the con about rendering assistance in medical emergencies where possible or some such.

So, without a strong retort the whole thing is perpetually open to allegation. We have no good way of knowing if it was only available to the dear NEA or if I'd been their I could have been assisted the same.

>>44294963
>Whether someone else would have received first aid is immaterial; they didn't need it, so of course they didn't get it.
No, it's not immaterial, the openness of the question the very fabric of the case against NEA. Not really a good case mind you given my stance on sporting play, but a credible one. Rhetorically, how can you say assistance was available to all if no-one else was unwell? Maybe someone was, but not expecting aid didn't request it for fear of anti-contagion con rules.
>>
>>44295098
What you are saying is you cannot be certain an a hospital WOULD treat someone if they are sick if they are not sick currently. Which is, frankly, stupid. And yes, that IS what you are saying in this case. Would the con have been helping him cheat if it had been THEIR med station/clinic that administered meds then? Gimme a break. I get the need to "understand" stuff like this from a logical aspect; it's why defense attorneys are so important to American legal process. But you're doing it just to be stupid right now, and it's not really helping you as a namefag, especially when you're after a namefag who actually contributes shit to these threads instead of popping in like a windbag when they're bored.
>>
>>44295070
>fresh new coating of Devlan Mud
Keep your shitty citadel products away from my 'Mechs!
>>44295169
>especially when you're after a namefag who actually contributes
Hold up a second here. After NEA? Heck no, he's a fine upstanding member of this community who gets a bad rap about this whole affair. I fully acknowledge he's generally more useful than me around here. It's not really his fault that he was ill and asked for help.

I don't think ad homineming me really counters any of the arguments I've made.

I think comparing event staff at a con to a hospital is a bit of a false equivalence.
>>
>>44295305
>ad-homming
Doesn't degrade the argument I'VE made against what you said, which is still inane. And there is no false equivalence here; con staff have to be trained to deal with sick people because they are event staff. So no, they are not different because it's a service they are expected to administer.
>>
>>44284077
There are multiple people who dislike Cincy.
>>
>>44294692
One last ride?
Let's go
I'm ready to check out shooting
>>
>>44295335
>what you said... is still inane
Damn skippy it is, which as I've learned on teh intarnetz, is a sure fire way to guarantee a savage argument.

I will split the hair between the medics the Con would have been required to have on hand and the event staff the game company had at their booth and the moral expectation of intervening in the event of a medical emergency.

Also might argue if 'feeling ill' constitutes a 'medical emergency'

I would still expect hospital personnel to go to greater lengths to help me with an emergency health issue than random event coordinators who have a whole shindig to look after.

Actually, it's further than this: up here in Canuckistan at least, the medical staff at a hospital would have a legal obligation to render such assistance was possible. Us ordinary private citizens do not. Good Sam laws might help us if we tried.
>>
>>44295502
I don't know if that's true or not, but only one is autistic enough to do what has been done.
Hell, I'll challenge that anon and any damn ones of his boys to a pistol go at it.
Come to toronto, boys. The fifteenth of January, Dupont and dufferen. Let's settle this.
>>
>>44295570
Wasps at dawn, last bug standing wins?
>>
>>44295570
Well I dislike Cinci, I'm just not a sperglord like the other guy. Main reason I dislike Cinci is for the way they played con events, which I do in fact consider to be (mild) cheating given the way things were organized.

Also, their campaigns aren't very imaginatively written, so I don't understand the circle jerking about them.
>>
>>44295626
No, real pistols, real lead. Let's make a headline shootout that the local papers will never decipher
>>
File: smile_and_speed_gone.jpg (29KB, 378x408px) Image search: [Google]
smile_and_speed_gone.jpg
29KB, 378x408px
>>44263341
>dead Sonic
>>
>>44295098
The entire premise of the argument is dumb.

Someone had a headache (or a cold, or whatever), and got a pill to help it. This shouldn't be a big deal. It's not even close to 'cheating'.
>>
File: 1293671366659.jpg (373KB, 900x722px) Image search: [Google]
1293671366659.jpg
373KB, 900x722px
>>44295629
Here's how you tell if the Cinci group is good or not:

If you are an outsider playing with their group, is it possible to have fun? Are they a jovial lot that simply are very tight-knit and work well together, so beating them is hard? Maybe they skew things a little in their own direction too, but are you having fun? Cause for me, I would rather have fun at the game and lose than not play or win playing against assholes, because I play to have fun. I would happily crack a six pack with some dudes and play BTech and lose their lopsided homebrew scenario than play something perfectly balanced with some aspie faggot.

It's all perspective and opinion, and you're entitled to yours. Ideally of course you'd want fairness AND fun, but you have to pick your battles sometimes, and your priorities.
>>
>>44290038
The mech art is beautiful, the art of humans is often amazingly bad.
>>
>>44296148
We're talking 80s RPG art here... if it didn't have TSR on the cover, there would be bad art. (Hell, even some of the TSR stuff was bad.)
>>
>>44294171
The MoC is sexist as fuck and the least likely to grant transgendered or any other people protected minority status.
>>
>>44297279
I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure that no one cares.
>>
Looking through SSW, it seems their master unit database doesn't include the Marauder IIC.

Is there any place to easily get a proper .ssw file for it, or am I stuck printing the record sheet from its source book or re-creating it in SSW?
>>
File: BF1 Assaults.png (152KB, 550x377px) Image search: [Google]
BF1 Assaults.png
152KB, 550x377px
All right, I got to reading the 4SW Atlas, and when I got to the Battleforce unit list, something caught my eye. Check out the distribution of the Orions.
>>
>>44298730
Mad IIC to Mad IIC 8 are showing up in mine just fine.

Might need to download the master files again, or make sure you didn't have an IS tech selected or something.
>>
>>44298736
>Cappies with all those Goliaths
I would not have expected that.
>>
>>44298896
Turns out it was only searching a single TRO folder, instead of the full database.

No more issues now.
>>
Newbie here, thinking of expanding from Introtech to the Clan Invasion era since several of our local players are quite a bit into the Clans.

Are there any good variants of the Intro Box 'mechs I should look into, so it's not just introtech vs Clantech?
>>
>>44299090
>Clans
>ever

Drop those power gaming scumbags ASAP
>>
>>44299169
>being a cunt with new players
>ever

Don't tell me you were just pretending to be retarded, that's even worse
>>
>>44299090
The record sheets for 3039 and 3050 (that can be got in the links in the first post) should serve you well.

Do note that some of the Great Houses went a little nuts designing things with more advanced tech, so you get things like the AS7-K Atlas, which sucks.

>>44299169
Quiet little groggy. No one's forcing you to play outside of your precious 4SW.
>>
>>44299376
Thanks.

Some of these do seem pretty cool, although a few do indeed seem a bit derp.

Any specific designs you'd recommend to go Clan-hunting?
>>
File: Fixed Catapult Grashopper Atlas.png (142KB, 2416x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Fixed Catapult Grashopper Atlas.png
142KB, 2416x1360px
>>44299090

All of them get upgrades in Tech Readout 3050, which you can find in the OP.

Good upgrades, or at least ones that actually improve on the design: Commando, Cicada, Clint, Hermes II, Vindicator, Enforcer, Trebuchet, Dervish, Zeus, Cyclops, Banshee.

Bad upgrades, or ones that actually leave them worse off than their 3025 versions: Panther, Assassin, Whitworth, Hunchback, (Grand) Dragon, Grasshopper, Atlas.

The Catapult is a bit of an issue in that it goes from an LRM support 'Mech to an artillery design, and artillery is now in the Advanced rules. I'm not a fan of the 3050 Awesome, but the AWS-9Q is the apotheosis of the design and only uses 3050 tech, so I'm happy enough to allow it earlier than its official date of 3057ish.

Here are some simple, sensible upgrades to the Catapult, Grasshopper and Atlas that wouldn't look out of place in 3050.
>>
>>44299396

Not that anon, but these are the better 3050 machines.

Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Commando, Wolfhound, Valkyrie, Centurion, Griffin-3M, Wolverine, Thunderbolt, Archer, Flashman, Guillotine, Black Knight, Orion, Zeus.

The Devastator, Nightstar, Pillager, and Thunder Hawk from TR 3058 have been retconned in as being in production prior to the arrival of the Clans. All have at least one Gauss Rifle and are among the IS' best regardless of the era due to that.
>>
>>44271322
MWO is still generic. Being more or less than some anime mechs from 3025 doesn't change that...
>>
>>44280227
>everyone except X thinks
>except this exception
You're fucking worse than the grogs, you autist
>>
>>44299773
>He thinks something is bad, therefore he has autism.

Da fuq?
>>
>>44299417
>>44299479
Thanks, guys.

I'm noticing that quite a few of the designs here have CASE with XL Engines.

Is the utility on that entirely for campaign games and the like, since an ammo explosion in a side torso will still take out the 'mech?
>>
>>44299868
You are 100% correct. CASE + XL = Dead 'Mech.

But only for the purposes of that scenario. If you're playing linked games/a campaign, then that CASE is the difference between "We can rebuilt him! We have the technology" and "It's dead Jim!".
>>
Looking a bit further, the BLR-3M seems pretty decent as well.

Am I correct in that assumption?
>>
>>44299960

It is, I just forgot about it before. Most of the -M models in 3050 are at least OK. The downside for people who play FWL is that it means all the stuff they got that's any good in 3050 is in the hands of everyone else as well because it was all exported to help fight the Clans.
>>
Just from a quick glance, a few things stand out as decent:

COM-5S
JVN-11A
JVN-11B
CDA-3F (although sometimes I think I'm alone in my love for the Cicada)
CPLT-K2K (although that doesn't show up until after 3058 due to the ER Mediums)
CES-3R
ON1-M (can be good if you make good use of the NARC)
>>
>>44300304
Continuing...

ON1-MA (ain't bad either)
AWS-9Q (is kinda insane, but fun)
VTR-9K (under armed, but hard to kill and fast for a 'Mech its size)
CP-11-G (quite a good refit of the usually quite armour-light Cyke)

A few of the Zeus variants are nice as well.
>>
>>44300304
I like Cicadas too, especially those PPC/AC variants. The 3F is a beast of a machine and I think a lot of people might overlook it just because it's a Cicada.
>>
>>44295629
>Main reason I dislike Cinci is for the way they played con events, which I do in fact consider to be (mild) cheating given the way things were organized.

How was it cheating when nobody wanted to play as WOB, so they "it's OK, we'll take it"? That's what started it, back in the "Chunga and Bones run the event" days. They never insisted on playing together, but in an event with voluntary faction signups, people are going to play with their friends. That's half the point. If you want to blame somebody, blame the demo team for not telling poeple to "fuck off with wanting to play with your mates" and forcibly randomizing side selection.

As for their campaigns, it's probably the fact that they actually PLAY the things, and complete the campaigns. With 20 people, their ability to do extra-creative things would actually be more limited, because they can't reasonably run an RPG-style campaign, and if they were pulling all of the really crazy stuff out of Tacops, their turn length would start taking days.
>>
>>44301128

It was cheating because they were successful. Simple as that. If they'd sucked, nobody would care. Since they're probably the closest thing to professional Battletech players in the US (and the second-best on the planet, after Toronto), they didn't suck, and thus people are butt-blasted about it.

Nothing breeds hate like being successful. And what's worse, by all accounts, they're a good group, using >>44296111's definition. Nobody should be both competent and friendly about it. It's against the rules of the internet.
>>
>>44301287
>the second-best on the planet, after Toronto
Hold up, there's an organized battletech group here in Toronto?
And it's the best in the world?
Shit, I had no idea that there was even a battletech scene I'm this damned city
Shows how much I know for being a newbie, then
>>
>>44300350
>A few of the Zeus variants are nice as well.
Pretty much anything with a PPC is solid. I know most people aren't a big fan of it, but the 9S2 always does right by me as well; it's an incredibly cheap way to field a fuckton of long-ranged throw-weight. Bring a ton of T-aug and three of Semi-G (or Swarm-I if you don't have TAGers for some reason Seriously you're LCAF, what are you doing without some TAG units) and it has a lot of utility.
It does, however, have a pretty big target painted on it and not so much armor, along with a lot of explosive crits and an XL. Not to mention three of its four guns have minimum ranges. Position it next to some friends that can scare away an otherwise-deadly close-ranged skirmisher or striker.
>>
>>44301866

Yeah, the guy who runs is it David Leaver. He's the guy who runs the canon event at GenCon as well. You can probably find him on facebook.

There's a trophy we have that gets passed around from group to group. Each group sends 5 people to play a 1-on-1 game. We were undefeated for three years (5-0 each time) - beating Chicago, Washington, and I don't recall the third - until this year. Cinci pulled a single clear win out against us (4-1) and broke our streak, but two of the other games came down to "total damage caused" tiebreakers, and one went our way by a single critical slot, and the other was a single MPL on a torn-apart Stalking Spider which could jump from woods to woods in a way to guarantee 13s to hit forever, against an otherwise undamaged Awesome missing a leg. The game rules broke down around that last one due to the limits of a 2d6 curve; fluffwise the Awesome could still have a chance, but the game math doesn't support it.

We all consider those two games to be effective ties, so in reality we won this year's game, 2-1-2. That's why I call Cinci 2nd-best.
>>
>>44302682
That sounds pretty damn cool. Is there a particular store that you guys play at? None of the one's that I've seen in this city so far have much in the way of battletech stuff
>>
>>44302775

It's at Dave's house. Our Facebook Page is titled "Dave's Battletech Group". IIRC it's private page, but you should be able to ask for an invite.
>>
>>44302855
Ah, I figured. I think I'll get some more playtime and rules understanding in and then maybe shoot you guys a message. Thanks for the info, man
Nice to know that there's a organized thing in this city
>>
ded thread ded game
>>
I'm currently planning to expand some more from the intro box.

What would be some nice IS lights for the Succession Wars/Clan Invasion era to get from IWM?
>>
Have we seen shimmy's Thunderbolt yet?
CM:M got me hyped
>>44304500
It's them damn canadians, killing it with their goddamn politeness
>>
>>44304590
You want examples of Canadians not being polite? Try being a Quebecer in a western province. The amount of insults I had to deal with from near-strangers on a weekly basis was absurd. At least I'm not native, my Blackfoot friend faced so much racism it was crazy.
>>
>>44304860
>You want examples of Canadians not being polite?
Try being a westerner who's visiting interior Quebec? In this regard Canada is akin to the FWL.
>>
>>44304860
I was joking. I've personally had a full dozen Canadians lecture me on how the states are shit and how the south is especially shit based on the shit they've been told by the various shit-dick leftie TV shows that they've watched the damn second that they hear me talk.
I KNOW the fuckers ain't polite
>>
>>44304860
It's hilarious how the Canadians treat the natives like the Euros think US Americans do.
>>
>>44305141
>Try being a westerner who's visiting interior Quebec? In this regard Canada is akin to the FWL.
Very true. Quebecer hicks are just as bad as the ones I saw in the rest of Canada. So yeah, I agree. We're all just a bunch of Leaguers. Guess that explains why I like them...

Moving on, what natives have we seen in-universe? I know there was that Blakists bub, have there been any others?
>>
>>44305232
I THINK there's a few of them in Skye, and older fluff had some vague association between them and one of the periphery states or another
>>
>>44305232
>We're all just a bunch of Leaguers. Guess that explains why I like them...
I've never thought of it like that , but it makes sense. Another canadian purple bird fan here.
(Incidentally, which area do y'all think is closest to being space quebec? I feel like somewhere in the suns would be)
>>
>>44305339
Skye
>>
>>44305339
>Incidentally, which area do y'all think is closest to being space quebec?

Given how welcoming Québécois are to anyone who isn't them, the closest equivalent is probably the Taurians.
>>
>>44305339
I remember looking this up once and the best possibilities I found (based on planet names) were in Lyran and League space.

If you're talking in terms of politics, somewhere in League space or Skype would probably be a near-perfect match. A homegrown sovereignty movement, a very political populace, a general dislike of military action...
>>
>>44305447
Because of the whole "irrational love of separatism" thing? I get that, but I was thinking more culturally
>>
>>44305534
Okay, but were they at any point occupied by a colonial power who was really fighting a proxy war against a neighbor and rather than bothering to replace the government just struck a deal where they changed the flags?
>>
>>44305527
The taurians at least like some of the other periphery states, which is more than quebec does
>>
>>44305596
Now that you mention it, Andurien sounds pretty good as a proxy for space-Quebec.
>>
>>44305548
Some of the outback worlds, maybe? Flitvert being the mythical independent quebec of every '80s future game ever that battletech somehow didn't have?
>>
>>44305720
>Flitvert being the mythical independent quebec of every '80s future game ever that battletech somehow didn't have?

It wasn't that outlandish an idea, remember that our feds invoked the War Measures act against it in the 70's, so a civil war wasn't inconceivable.

Now, this might have been Trudeau Sr. being a dickbag. dunno. What I do know is that if it came up on the playgrounds of my childhood we all kinda hoped for it so we could give the frenchies what for and dispense with the space wasting French on our cereal boxes. That, and preserving our links to the Maritimes lest the Dang Yankees try some Manifest Destiny B.S.
>>
>>44305861
Oh, I remember, it's just funny to look back at how certain writers were that it'd happen after a few decades of watching the "cause" of an independent quebec slowly shit itself to death
>>
>>44305861
>Now, this might have been Trudeau Sr. being a dickbag. dunno
Well, that was certainly part of it, damn the communist bastard, but quebec deciding to go full eurofag and develop a shit-tier far left terror gang complete to KGB backing was the main reason. The response is basically 100% turdeau's fault, though
>>
>>44272778
>>44269606
>>44274327

honestly, if you're getting outplayed by heavies or assaults, not playing as a team, and can't pilot your mech properly, then you might just be bad at the game.
>>
>>44305720
>>44305908
>>44305908
In defense of those scifi writers, the sovereignty movement was extremely popular in Quebec and had traction like you couldn't believe up until the final referendum in '95. And hell, that one was decided by a difference of a few tens of thousands of votes out of a total of more than 4.5 million.

>>44306038
The FLQ was fucking insane. French-Quebecois culture did go through a rough period up until the mid-twentieth century, but those who responded to this with terrorist acts were absolutely nuts.
>>
>>44306393
The 70s was kind of the decade of left wing terrorism, honestly. I'm just kind of surprised that there weren't any groups outside of quebec. UofT is pretty full of the kind of fucks who'd sign up for something like that, for instance
>>
>>44306393
It might have seemed like it had traction on some external paper, but if you actually looked at the promises and doubletalk that was being used on the Quebecers you'd have realized that their notion of 'sovereignty' was quite hollow.

At one point I recall it being that they'd share a border, currency, and customs union with us so as to not damage their industry by the RoC (rest of Canada) levying tariffs, while being very protectionist against us. Simultaneously founding the Quebec national legion but maintaining defense from RoC's national army against any threat that's not RoC.

What's even worse was that the RoC politicians seldom denounced it for fear of actually inflaming the frenchies. They might have actually gotten such a B.S. deal
>>
>>44304514
Jenners. Kurita makes them, Davion and Steiner salvage them. 35 tons, moves almost as fast as a Locust, packs decent firepower. Damn nice before advanced tech starts making "gottagofast" the standard.
>>
>>44306555
Regardless of the arguments made, though, the movement still a huge amount of popular support. And at the end of the day, that's the most important part of any separatist movement.
>>
>>44304514
The Firestarter would be a good one, along with the Javelin, Wolfhound, Raven and Raptor. If you're willing to go for some reseen, the Stinger, Wasp and Locust are must-haves.
>>
File: concept - baboon II.jpg (78KB, 490x576px) Image search: [Google]
concept - baboon II.jpg
78KB, 490x576px
Post your 6k armies.
>>
>>44306957
1) Not really how BattleTech works.

2) No, you first.
>>
>>44306957
4 Anzus
>>
>>44307011
>>44307138
Great contribution, guys. 100%.

>>44306957
How about a MoC force:
>Arrow IV Assault Vehicle
>Agrotera
>Anubis -5Z
>Gun -OB
>Gun -OB
>Amazon MRR
>Amazon MRR
>>
>>44299821
Cool reading comprehension. Da fuq indeed.
>>
>>44306957
19 Scorpion tanks
>>
File: IMG_20150729_215455.jpg (3MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150729_215455.jpg
3MB, 3200x2400px
>>44306957

Blake LRM Carrier (3/6) (1197)+SG ammo
Blake LRM Carrier (3/6) (1197)+SG ammo
Preta A (1302)
Preta C (1187)
Bombard -010 (850)+2 tons precision ammo

Alternately:
Annihilator -1G (3/5) (2729)
Annihilator -2A (1595)
Annihilator -2A (1595)
>>
>>44307937
Assuming a standard lance as the opponent for the force size BV multiplier command will only let you have 10 tanks. Good luck!
>>
>>44308219
FSM has been errata'd out of existence for a while now.
Thank fucking god for that.
>>
File: Scorpion's Nest.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Scorpion's Nest.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>44308219
>force size multiplier
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>44308248
Huh. Looking at the document, it seems that they don't claim there BV remains accurate with forces of different sizes. It's for the best though as long as nobody is that guy.
>>
>>44308652

Yeah, because we can totally trust that our opponents won't be that guy.
>>
>>44299366
The Clans should never have existed, deal w/ it
>>
>>44301128
>If you want to blame somebody, blame the demo team for not telling poeple to "fuck off with wanting to play with your mates" and forcibly randomizing side selection.

Oh, but I do
>>
>>44309649
>Why can't it be 4SW forever! WAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

It's ok little groggy. Calm down. Go to your safe space, where it's always the 4th Succession War.
>>
>>44306957
Uziel 8S
Blitzkrieg 4F (3/5)
Zeus X3 (3/5)
This should work, but it might be over.
>>
>>44309721
Does it blow your mind that I like Jihad and DA too?
>>
>>44310115
*mind blown*

I wish it was 3058 forever, and endless Operation Bird Dog/Bulldog, but I accept that BTech isn't like 40K, which is a setting, but is instead is a story, which means it progresses.

The Clans are overpowered. The Clans are "unbalanced" (as much as one can be unbalanced in a game that isn't really centred on balance), but they are interesting. They're different to the Great Houses. And that's a good thing.
>>
>>44310226
>I wish it was 3058 forever, and endless Operation Bird Dog/Bulldog
Kinda ditto there. Most of the games I've ever played are set in that era, and it definitely seems the most popular
>>
5/8/7 with a partial wing, or 5/8/8 with IJJs?
>>
>>44311115
5/8/7 with PW
>>
>>44310226
>I wish it was 3058 forever, and endless Operation Bird Dog/Bulldog
I agree wholeheartedly; you've got a nice balance of tech, you've got the greatest diversity of factions and units, none of the shitwrecking of the 3060s and jihad has occurred yet; everybody's at the top of their game and it can go anywhere from there. You've also got all three of the major areas of play (homeworld clans, inner sphere, and periphery) available and not yet muddied together. You've also got the chaos march, which is a great source of adventure, Solaris VII is in full swing and there's just generally tons of possibilities
>>
>>44311161
IJJs do work in a vacuum, and can take a crit before losing the +4 TMM.
>>
File: The_Hunters.jpg (1MB, 1236x2021px) Image search: [Google]
The_Hunters.jpg
1MB, 1236x2021px
>>44310226
>>44310779
>>44311300
Plus it's the era with, in my opinion, the best books.

Namely The Hunters, Sword and Fire, and Shadows of War. They had it all: large-scale mech battles, three warship battles, the ELH shining, the Kathil Uhlan's last hurrah, the Knights of the Inner Sphere getting airtime, Hang Mehta telling her subordinates "Stop dying, you cowards. Jag harder!", DEST gonna DEST, ninjas, Rabid Foxes, Northwind Highlanders not being annoying, Sharon Bryan being a Lyran shitposter, Ghest Burrs losing a fight, protomechs (Clan), and did I mention warship battles?

Really can't think of three BT books better than those.
>>
>>44311705
There's also another thing, though it's a bit subjective: it's the last era before HRONK HRONK WARCRIMES and general grimdark takes hold, which to me is a huge point in it's favor
>>
>>44311820
Forgive me but what's "HRONK HRONK"?
>>
>>44311820
Not every game of BattleTech can be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KXgFpguE0
>>
>>44311862
chinese HONK HONK?
>>
>>44311864
maybe they can't if you're a coward
>>
>>44312201
It's hard to be a boss when your dropships get shot down by houserule ground to orbit guns based off of the ones from MechCommander.
>>
>>44312221
and what, precisely does these headcanon cannons have to do with lack of ebin warcrimz being a bad thing?
>>
>>44312258
Oh well, I used them on the civilian ships my players were attempting to escort off world, because I was in the throes of Amaris.
>6 Mammoths loaded with civilians later...
>>
>>44311820
>a bit subjective
>a bit

I'll give you credit for at least being able to admit that much, which is more than most of the BT fandom. Usually /btg/ threads are the land where opinions = facts.
>>
>>44312455
"And that, folks, is why you take out the AA before the civilian aircraft take off!"
How unamused were the employers / senior officers?
>>
>>44309602
Bringing unreasonable numbers of units to simply swarm your opponent describes a more overt kind of thatguyness than the subtle thatguyness of maximizing your bv to units ratio so the force size multiplier defeats them.
>>
>>44295519
You are arguing against giving meds to a sick person, because you want to win a game. Forget the game, help the damn sick PERSON. You are disqualified from being human.
Note: Non-humans are disqualified from winning BattleTech tournaments, you lose anyway.
>>
>>44315679

If they deserved to live, they wouldn't need meds in the first place. And given that he willingly worked for Catalyst, he probably doesn't deserve to live.
>>
>>44311705
>Ghest Burrs losing a fight

I was with you until this, but now I honestly don't believe this time period and the matching book ever existed at all.
>>
Christmas mechs go!
>>
>>44318181
no, really.
of course, this was before heeby bees was calling the shots
>>
File: avatar_70_1411149333.png (34KB, 105x224px) Image search: [Google]
34KB, 105x224px
>>44306957
TDF Light Reserve Milita:

Madcat
Toro
Toro
Toro
Patton
4X Infantry SRM Squads w/davy crocketts
:^)
>>
>>44318466

No, the Bears did lose.

It's just that the IS fleet had like twenty times the WarShips or some shit and the Bears still fucked them up despite going down.
>>
>>44275472
DWP only reduces by 1 on a unit with 2 movement and MJB then adds 1, so 2.
>>
>>44319937
Nope. IS had them maybe 2-1. Bears lost three warships, and one IS suffered significant damage.
>>
>>44319937
One Congress and two Whirlwinds vs 7 IS warships, including four crewed by C* including a Cameron class. The Bears lost one of the Whirlwinds, the others were captured.
>>
>>44319937
It was one Congress and two Whirlwinds vs one Cameron, one Lola III, two Essexes, one Kyushu, and one Fox. Task Force Serpent had a second Fox but it was left to protect their JumpShips.

One Whirlwind was set ablaze and lost, with some Clan crewmen saved. One Whirlwind was captured and salvageable. The Congress was so shot to pieces it was effectively destroyed as a vessel. The Inner Sphere ships all suffered a little damage, though the most was to one ComStar Essex, that lost a number of weapons.

The aftermath was interesting as the commanders discussed who would get a star of OmniMechs that had been discovered on a dropship. Back when that was a big deal.
>>
>>44322408
That was a pretty fun book. Had a lot going on it, including the murder mystery, the naval battle, and the fighting on Huntress. Made me sad that Roy Calbeck had to be a thing.
>>
>>44322831
There always has to be that faggot that spoils everything for everyone, but I like the TotC books written by Gressman because I can enjoy the ELH without thinking of that furry psychopath.
>>
File: ArianaWinston[1].png (10KB, 157x195px) Image search: [Google]
ArianaWinston[1].png
10KB, 157x195px
>>44322904
I'm still sad that the Winston Combat Vehicle wasn't named for pic related.
>>
>>44322904

Gressman also managed to write without needing Stackpole-style deus ex machina asspulls for his heroes or Coleman-style powerups for his favourite characters. A pity he didn't write more for BT, really.
>>
>>44315679
See
>>44292937
I think postulating that if I was his opponent I would have helped him because winning due to his illness is unsporting hard counters your stance.
>>
>>44323524
>I think postulating that if I was his opponent I would have helped him because winning due to his illness is unsporting hard counters your stance.

I think even the implication that NEA - himself - did anything wrong or "cheated" in any way hard counters the stance that you're not a complete cock.
>>
>>44324985
>>44324985
>hard counters the stance that you're not a complete cock.
I'm okay with you thinking this.
>>
File: 3025_Zeus1.png (102KB, 445x672px) Image search: [Google]
3025_Zeus1.png
102KB, 445x672px
Which Zeus is best Zeus?
>>
>>44325412
The Zeus that lives on in your heart.
>>
File: 1402212769901[1].jpg (445KB, 1116x763px) Image search: [Google]
1402212769901[1].jpg
445KB, 1116x763px
>>44325412
The Zeus that crushes his foes, see them driven before him, and hears the lamentations of their women.
>>
File: BMR[1].jpg (38KB, 494x676px) Image search: [Google]
BMR[1].jpg
38KB, 494x676px
>>44325628
>>
File: Mongrel.png (41KB, 644x891px) Image search: [Google]
Mongrel.png
41KB, 644x891px
>I wonder what a Lyran take on the Mongrel would look like
Oh... oh wow

Why can't this be a thing?
>>
>>44325628
Conan Solaris Zeus when?
>>
>>44325949
Both versions of Stacy Church's Zeus strike me as pretty good candidates.
>>
>>44325949
Forgot to mention the actual loadout for this one. Sword in the Right Arm, the two medium lasers have been moved to the Left Arm and a SRM-6 launcher has been fitted in their place.
>>
new thread

>>44327698
>>44327698
>>44327698
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.