[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would the UNSC fair in the Mass Effect universe? Really and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 7

File: UNSC_insignia.png (214KB, 936x1440px) Image search: [Google]
UNSC_insignia.png
214KB, 936x1440px
How would the UNSC fair in the Mass Effect universe? Really and with no war posting. Lets just assume that Asari explorers find Harvest instead of the Covenant (which don't exist in this universe), And the Mass Relays are still in Human space just undiscovered. (This includes the Mars cache.)

How would the pre-war UNSC react to this assuming peaceful First Contact?
>>
>>44261107
Go find one of the Mass EffectXHalo Crossovers on FF. There's a bunch, but they should help you set the field.
>>
>>44261107
Well UNSC ships are better in terms of mobility since they have warp drive technology.

But they falter in defense since pre-covie fleets doesn't have energy shielding. In terms of land war capability, if its Alliance vs UNSC the Alliance has the most advantage.
>>
>>44261107
The halo universe is pretty assbackwards compared to mass effect. Without barriers you could probably throw every pre war ship at a small team of turian frigs and they'd all get pasted.

Once the UNSC get thier own shields they could probably mount some kind of defence, but they'd have to change up their fleet doctrine pretty hard to compensate for the fact that fighter bomber teams are now totally obsolete.
>>
>>44261107
Mass Effect's universe has it's technology developed better. Mass Effect Technology is a part of everything from weapons to building materials.

The UNSC is more or less ballistic weapons and chemical explosives with some clumsy warp drives... and without the Covenant, Humanity won't even have Energy Shielding in the UNSC.
>>
>>44262817
Even without the covenant showing up humanity was still finding Forerunner relics on their own worlds, and it was only a matter of time.
>>
File: 1439316489833.png (538KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439316489833.png
538KB, 600x600px
>>44262817
>>44262593
>>44261489
>>44261175
>no war posting
>>
>>44263564
Some people can't read I guess...
>>
OP here. This is not a beat'em up thread. I need to know how things would go on a geopolitics way.

Like how would the Asari explorers react to finding a UNSC colony? How would the Council races react to the UNSC and its tech?
>>
>>44265277
>how things would go on a geopolitics way
>geopolitics
>geo
So ignore all the space parts, got it
>>
The UNSC can probably be explained as the Earth government. A lot of their actions are similar when dealing with colonies.

All the way down to ONI/Cerberus going rogue with super soldiers.

>>44265277
If it's their first contact with Humanity, probably the same way as in ME.

What really matters is how many useful colonies Earth has, since I've read anywhere from 50 planets up to 500 before the Covenant showed up.
>>
>>44263564
>>44261107
The main problem with your question I think is that the unsc is pretty war oriented in the first place from what we see in the games, if you haven't read the books or anything else like me. I don't know that much about halo though. The other problem is that even the much less war oriented alliance in mass effect didn't have a peaceful contact. It's called the first contact war and we almost had our shit stomped in by the turians.
>>
>>44265306
800 colonies.

About 20 were Garden worlds, many were Mars like worlds that were partially Terraformed, most were Airless mining outposts.
>>
>>44265277
I figure they'd be a little alarmed at all the insurgencies
>>
>>44265277
Well, given the fact that the spartan II was in full swing before the covies showed up, horror at the level of augmentation used? Don't forget, conditioning is also used on the marines and ODSTs as well.

Also, the extensive use of AIs by the UNSC would be another major sticking point.
>>
>>44265412
True but the Council straight up allows the Batarians to be slavers for their economic and military contribution. And the Council would see Slipspace drives as a holy grail.
>>
>>44265477

Your under an assumption that the UNSC would Join the council.

They would really have no reason too considering they could just act like there own independent entity.
>>
>>44265511
The UNSC are coming apart at the seams. I can at least see them getting an Embassy on the Citadel as people start pushing in different directions. Even just to have a unified system for the starships so they can park at each other's bases.
>>
>>44265511
The Council wouldn't like that but yeah the Council would lose face if they just invaded human space with no reason.
>>
>>44265337
>almost had our shit stomped by the turians
It was actually the other way around but it WAS a scouting fleet but considering our woeful tech at the time it was still impressive. The entire turian superiority complex is because they know they're inferior in almost all aspect.
>>
>>44265558
The presence of an outside species, whether it's one or more, has a way of unifying a species against the common unknown.
>>
>>44265580
It seemed to me the aliens in ME were scared of humanity. I didn't get that, humans seems to just want to be left alone, get better rep in the Council, and explore the fuck out of space.
>>
>>44265558
>>44265590
I could see the UNSC reforming greatly to keep itself together.
>>
>>44265558

An embassy of course, But after fighting a war of extermination for your lives and freedom would you start to roll over for some faceless aliens that want you to dance to there tune as a "Lesser Species".
>>
>>44265639
No Covenant. Did you read the OP?
>>
>>44265625

In the books it says that Humans would have surpassed all the other species in ten years so the council tries to mitigate our progress.

Essentially there afraid that we'll stomp there shit in.
>>
>>44261107

Working from memory, while the UNSC may be behind the Citadel on ballistics and shields, in many other dimensions the UNSC substantially superior technology.

UNSC's biotech is far, far beyond that exhibited by any council race, given the SPARTAN programs, the availability of cloned replacement organs in field bases (which suggests stellar sanitation/infection control), wholesale cloning, etc. This is in contrast to the Citadel's foremost medical trauma treatment option being medigel, (a function readily duplicated by biofoam).

I'm reminded of Thane Krios dying of a degenerative lung disease, of which there was no treatment for in the entire galaxy - a UNSC hospital could probably have fixed that with cloned lungs and a few hours of surgery, surely within the budget of a top-grade assassin,

Another point of interest in that the only super-soldier/augmentation program enacted by any ME species was Okeer's attempt to create grunt, which seems to be little more than genome shuffling, as opposed to the transhuman-producing SPARTAN projects.

AI's are also a major issue. Due to the Citadel Council's ban on AI's, their low-key stand in in the form of Virtual Intelligences seems like a very poor replacement to even the one 'dumb' AI we see in the Halo games - Dot from Reach, who seems to be only slightly substandard compared to Legion, the most intelligent singular collective of Geth AIs we witness. UNSC's strong AI's on the other hand seem far more stable and helpful than non-geth AI in Citadel space (Cortana in H5 not withstanding).

While the UNSC might not have developed mass effect technology, the slipspace drive is arguably a superior method of ftl travel, allowing for greater range (and speed?) without the need to discharge static buildup or rely on mass effect relays for long-distance travel.

And then there's the one ton elephant in the room - power armor, the design and deployment of which is fairly obviously in the UNSC's favor.
>>
>>44265691
The reason the council is so stangant in those regards is because there draconian when it comes to science.

They ban anything they don't want to worry about moral quandaries with and anytime someone suggests moving forward in any field they are often laughed at.
>>
>>44265590
>>44265638
Not really. Both the UNSC and the Innies are responsible for nuking their own colonies and being oppressive jerks. It's going to be hard to unite those groups against the blue/purple alien space babes.

>>44265691
Actually, I'd have to agree with the Citadel on the AI thing. They are useful, but having them go rogue/crazy every 7 years seems like a recipe for disaster they don't want to recreate.
>>
>>44265691

The major issue in any interactions between the UNSC and the Citadel Council is going to be, yeah, AIs. With how broadly AI's are used (up to and including controlling/defending megacity infrastructure and star ships), this could preclude Council membership even if the UNSC wanted it in the first place.
>>
>>44265625
We're traditional HFY in ME. Give us literally any subject and we kick all the other aliens asses with it. Took us around 10 years to actually adopt alien tech into every aspect of our lives then start actually contributing to said tech. Now we're top competers in weapons tech between us and turians and we collab all the time. We expand like cockroaches into literally any area. It was said somewhere if you find a planet you think is undiscovered chances our theres a human on it somewhere. Hell we've even made an entirely new merc/criminal organization that killed off the main competition and absorbed lesser ones till we're head to head with actual military organizations. The best pilots are also human and our tactics rival turians. As an example almost all humans took up the gun when the reapers came down same for turians. Problem is human forkdd militias super easy with no prompting but the turians defense took longer since their entire pop required some military service they scattered till someone somewhere actually told them what to do. We rival salarians for pace of development as well and we made better implants and can learn biotics faster than asari who can take centuries to master while we can have it down by age 18 with proper training.
Bioware probably did it to make us seem awesome but it just made us bland. Then they kept labeling us underdog while all we did was achieve with our middle fingers held high.
>>
>>44265757
Massive autocorrect failures there sorry.
>>
>Clash of Civilizations will never update
>>
>>44265843
Have faith anon
>>
>>44265337
The UNSC is actually not a very pleasant government by most standards.
It's extremely militaristic and practices things like heavy media censorship and actively bombing/attacking independent groups who didn't immediately join them and is occasionally borderline fascist in it's methods.

The SPARTANS were originally designed to fight rebellious colonies, who actually the UNSC didn't have much trouble beating but wanted a way to more terrifyingly show their military and technological superiority, and what better way then highly dangerous cyborg shock troops that drop in and kill huge rebellious forces? The SPARTANS were basically originally going to be the SS troops of the UNSC, killing political dissidents with shocking speed and brutality so they could easily force rebellious colonies to surrender.

Turns out, the Covenant was way worse and the human race got a lot less assholish after their near-extermination of our species.
>>
>>44265580
The Turians actually were ABOUT to surround and bomb the shit out of Earth with their then fully-developed, more technologically advanced, and more numerous warfleet after the First Contact War, then the Council stopped them because Turians don't really know the meaning of "military restraint".
>>44265625
Humans made the Council nervous because we were extremely numerous, incredibly ambitious, surprisingly aggressive, and had a reputation for extremely opportunistic behavior, which is sort of in synch with how human politics work in the majority of our history.
>>
>>44265912
I wouldn't say less assholish. People just naturally fell in to the UNSC for protection. its almost utopian living if you live and play entirely by their rules. Sure it seems extraordinarily stifling to us but to them we're literally asking for war and thats how people die. Why not enjoy the cheap luxury living and automated lifestyle and the cost of some freedoms, right? Plus the unsc doesn't go killing its own just those that refuse to fall underwing.
>>
>>44265912
To give an example of the UNSC's sketchy moral behavior; the SPARTAN-II program children were not volunteers or state wards.
They were kidnapped and rounded up wherever they could be found, from a mix of ethnic groups and genetic histories. If the kid had a family, they didn't care; they took the kid anyway.

That's pretty morally ambiguous behavior.
>>44265981
It's mentioned several times in the early timeline Halo novels that at first the UNSC was a "protection" thing but the current political administration was a bit more expansionist and ambitious; they were the Soviet Union, not the United Nations, and they took worlds under their "protection" if they asked for it or not and were somewhat brutal in putting down insurrections or dissent from any kind.

In fact, the SPARTAN Program was originally created because whenever they DID put down a revolt there were always too many human casualties, and reformists thought that an elite unit that could more efficiently fight rebels might be the first step to reconciliation.
>>
Wouldn't the UNSC catch up quickly in terms of tech? They have really good AI's.

I see the UNSC becoming it's own zone. Like the Terminus but more civil. The Turians in this case would respect the UNSC (Since no first contact war) with how similar they are. The Salarians would want the Human tech, and the Asari would like us at first but likely grow to dislike the UNSC. Humanity would likely not play their game.
>>
>>44266081
Exactly. Don't put up a fight and you don't get killed. Side effects of not putting up a fight are, but not limited to: better living, better healthcare, actual protection from wildlife, metropolis', military protection from asshats, not having to shit in the woods, not depending solely on the bi-yearly supply drops we might occasionally "forget" to send you, fufilling government required work, etc.
side effects of putting up a fight: 95% chance of painful death via soldier, 5% chance of death from space bears, disease, shitting in the woods full of space bears, being dragged into the future kicking and screaming.

If faced with the choice which would you choose?
>>
>>44266147
Human alliance would put them down caused they'd use their HFY powers to know immediately what kind of game the UNSC play and the alliance doesn't share.
>>
>>44266235
The Alliance is replaced by the UNSC.
>>
>>44266215
I'd be okay I think, but frankly if genuinely forcing your utopia on someone else is not only optional but accepted behavior, then it's not a utopia at all.

Also? I don't necessarily WANT everything handed to me; I like knowing I got to where I am on my own. And I don't want to be shot just because I don't want to be part of someone else's utopia and because I value my independence as a human being.

Yeah my life is hard; so fuckin' what? Life IS pain, and I like working my way through it. I shouldn't be shot just because I don't automatically want everything handed to me on a platter, especially when what I'm doing isn't hurting anybody at all.
>>
>>44266215
People were being thrown in jail for the slightest thing. One named character was chucked into prison for protesting the high taxes.

I don't think you're getting how bad the UNSC could be. They let corporations run old timey Company towns amongst the free populace, shoved in white collar 'criminals' and 'radicals' to make up the work force, sent in the space navy to heavily enforce the company rules, and then ONI would come in and kill everyone else.

It's not sustainable. The UNSC, and their pet ONI, chimped out about 'muh united humanity'. They shot themselves in the foot before everything even started.
>>
>>44266252
The council would put them down shortly after finding what game they play and assuming they won't comply with the councils humanitarism. The UNSC is just plain to violent for the hippy dippy ME universe. Sure they'd be an asset in wartime but best case scenario they'd nueter us just like the krogan.
>>
>>44266312
They'd try but they wouldn't have access to Human colonies without violating there own laws.
>>
>>44266312
I'm pretty sure Post-War UNSC just wants to rebuild and be left alone (besides ONI being assholes and fucking with alien governments to keep them chasing their own tails).

I wonder how the Council would react to humanity having lost 75% of its population in a war with a millennia old faction of multiple alien races.

If the Asari do have any diplomatic sense, they would tread very carefully.
>>
>>44266297
I understand entirely which is why i said living their utopia requires playing by their rules. Any other alternative is death.
>>44266278
It doesn't matter what you want. It matters what the UNSC wants and what they want is for you to live in their society and a nice cog and they will reward you for staying that way. Honestly how would it be different from how you live now? Unless you're currently a criminal that is.
>>
>>44266345
The council doesn't listen to the councils own rules if you haven't figures it out. Hell they even made a Spec Ops force that doesn't listen to the council's rules but listens to the council solely to make breaking their own rules easier. They handwaved the genophage and subsequent genocide why wouldn't they do it again?
>>44266347
I thought the setting was pre-covie. Them finding relays and council races rather than covenant.
>>
>>44266385
No Asari find Harvest, then humans start finding relays and Prothean cathes.
>>
>>44266385
>>44266407
Ah, well that's what I get for skimming.
>>
>>44266407
Either way pre-covenant assholery inclined UNSC. Not feel good humanity uniting UNSC. They're tech would make them easy targets too since no shielding.
>>
>>44266407
>"Oh shit aliens... wait they are sexy blue chicks, guns down boys!"
>>
>>44266351
>Honestly how would it be different from how you live now?

Now I can choose how I want to live as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, and it doesn't hurt anyone. I don't want to be killed because I'm fine without their help.
>>
>>44266347
There was a region in space the Citadel races didn't go to, but they had multiple agents in there checking up on things.

There's mutliple UN like groups in the galaxy, since they don't all get along or want different things.

>>44266351
The problem is the UNSC constantly changes what it wants, then makes it harder to deal with it. They ship 'undesirables' to colonies and then wonder why they rise up. Again, these aren't hippies or anything. Just people who say ANYTHING at all.

>"Taxes are too high."
Off to the space gulags.

>"Why are criminals being sent to our colony?"
Off to the space gulags.

>"Can we get the water filters fixed?"
Nuke the colony.
>>
>>44266436
The UNSC would probably be pretty friendly. The problems start when the council finds out about the whole tyranny deal. It would be like going to N.Korea for a tour by kim just to show you how awesome the place is. The UNSC would show you all the bustling cities, crazy garden worlds they got growing food, all the culture they made, while also steering you from their industrial centers and jails/bodypits while keeping you firmly away from the front lines "for your safety".
>>
>>44266441
>>"Can we get the water filters fixed?"
>Nuke the colony.

I like how this one was close to one incident that happened.
Basically they were rebelling against tyrannical corporate governers that were abusing them on one world and then when they succeeded in fighting off the initial UNSC support the next immediate reaction literally nuked half the fucking world into oblivion.

The SPARTAN II's were developed because they had a hard time NOT killing huge numbers of civilians because rather then bother to engage with rebels they'd nuke them off the face of the galaxy most of the time.
The point of the SPARTANS was to give an option that didn't involved nuclear holocausts as a first-response to anything going wrong.
>>
>>44266476
I would say the UNSC is more militaristic and police state like then the united states but not soviet union levels
>>
It should be noted that not all the Insurrectionists were oppressed freedom fighters, they were trying to set up their own little fiefdoms or fascist regimes and just wanted the Outsiders to go away.

Generally though, the UNSC and its corporations were really heavy handed with the colonies and giving them the short end of the stick. And if you didn't fall in line, they brought down the hammer (which was held by SPARTAN-IIs later on). Pretty much colonial woes IN SPACE!
>>
>>44266441
So don't be an undesirable then. Stick to their rules, you live. simple as that.
>>
>>44266504
In the Book Contact Harvest, Johnson says The Former USA is hugely sympathetic to the Innies and despise the UNSC.
>>
>>44266532
Get off our clay.
>>
>>44266510
There were some real jerks on both sides. Problem was that any kind of starship gives everyone access to destroy anything on a planet.

If I recall, the UNSC was starting to fracture too. Like Rome, their legions were breaking off and claiming bits of space for themselves.
>>
>>44266579
Blame ONI. They were making all the soldiers ask what they were even fighting for. The UNSC leaders and ONI are so obsessed with "unity" they laid down their own ruin. Shouls have made all the Colonies independent as soon as possible and promoted peaceful alliances.
>>
>>44266579
I know there were planets trying to get independence and a few leaders and a bunch of soldiers going rouge but entire armies and fleets going their own way seems pretty far fetched
>>44266634
Yea ONI especially was abusing their power
>>
I remember a thread I made about my group being Innies called the Minutemen. Good times.
>>
>Innie propaganda.
>Now with blue alien chicks.
>>
>>44265912
The UNSC isn't so bad. ONI needs to get fucked with a plasma cannon. Parangosky in particular.
>>
>>44267082
they make the inquisitors look competent
>>
>>44265912
Read Halsey's journal. The insurrection wasn't just a few dissidents they wanted to kick in the teeth extra hard, it was a serious problem that was almost certainly (in her and ONI's opinion) going to worsen to the point of societal collapse if they didn't put a stop to it real quick.
>>
>>44268074
imagine what would have happened if they all rebelled then the covies showed up
>>
>>44268132
Then the humans would've been even more fucked than they already were.

The Covenant's main reason to go to war doesn't change just because the humans disorganize themselves, and they burned their way through most of humanity in three decades even when the UNSC was at their peak. They'll have glassed every human planet within two decades, at most.
>>
I imagine it would go like this
> hey you guys are human!
> yeh! So are you
> lets be allies and stuff, im sick of all these aliens
> ok sounds good, idk aliens existed but whatever.
> hey you want some of our technology cos your ships are pretty shit mate
> yeh ok, well show you how to make super soldiers
> cool!
> few years later humanity has taken over the citadel and subjugated the alien races
My human wank will never end
>>
>>44270277
If the council stopped cockblocking us at every fucking corner we'd have owned everyones asses in a decade with basic alliance. Adding super soldiers and designs for scary big ships that use FTL and planet fucking weaponry and we'd waltz in and sit at the throne no questions asked. We don't even need the relays so they couldn't draw that shit out with the choke points.
>>
>>44265625
Well, the first thing they did apon being discovered was start a war with the strongest military race in the Galaxy and done somewhat well all things considered, that was worrying.

Humans are basically more patient Krogans.
>>
>>44270450
Theres also reports that, unlike krogan, shooting us in the head just pisses us off and killing us means we come back stronger than before.
>>
>>44270528
To be fair, literally only cereberus knew they could turn Shepard into RoboCop.
>>
>>44270588
So you're saying is all it takes is one small underfire criminal group to make a super hero? Imagine what a whole race inclined to do so could do-wait. Spartan II's. Never mind.
>>
>>44270528
we have more sense then the krogan to know there than more then being an army of warriors who's main tactic was RUSH THEM WITH SHOT GUNS THEN HEADBUTT THEM rinse and repeat
>>
>>44265757
This. The problem with a lot of sci-fi is that we keep thinking of traits we see as "human" as being our unique thing, but how the hell do we know that those traits are unique to us? Maybe we are the least individualistic species, or the most bloodthirsty, or the most cowardly, or in any number of ways different, but no, we are always the exploring-risk-takers. Which I like, but is way overdone. Plus, its really more projecting the American view of our species onto everyone else, with the emphases on discovery and individualism.
>>
>>44270882
>Plus, its really more projecting the American view of our species onto everyone else, with the emphases on discovery and individualism.
>Implying America isn't the paragon of what it means to be human
USA USA USA USA
>>
>>44270960
I never said we weren't the best, I just implied the Europoors and Chinese would make us seem more lame then a lot of sci-fi implies
>>
>>44271033
So the solution is simple; we just keep the Europoors and Chinks on Earth while the Anglosphere (+Japan and SKorea) fucks off into space.
>>
>>44266476
The council puts up with the baterians. Why would this be any different?
>>
File: Freedom Expands.jpg (758KB, 1174x1186px) Image search: [Google]
Freedom Expands.jpg
758KB, 1174x1186px
>>44271116
Agreed.
>>
>>44271116
I want frenchmen in space tho
>>
>>44271152
they kind off booted them out at some point because of the shit they were doing and while the UNSC does some less then reputable stuff its not batarian tier douchebagory
>>
>>44270882
>>44271033
>>44271116
To be fair though the whole Ender-verse books paint a colourful picture with different worlds having different cultures, like one world is all chinese culture, another is spanish culture, another being japanese culture.
It's like one world for each culture
>>
>>44271167
Maybe. If so, bring Germany along too. Finally, all the living spacd and non-human inferiors they want!
>>
>>44271204
Germans in space would be kreigers
Idk where the hates comin from tho lad
>>
>>44271183
Batarians actually left on their own, after some planets they'd been planning on colonizing got handed to the Humans instead. There's nothing to indicate that the Citadel wouldn't have kept putting up with them basically forever otherwise.
>>
>>44265691
Wasn't medigel itself a human invention?
>>
>>44271183
That's kind of my point though. In a lot of ways the baterians are a lot worse, yet the council still maintains economic and military ties, no matter how tenuous.

It seems likely some sort of diplomatic equilibrium could be maintained with the UNSC
>>
>>44271167
>wanting frogs in space
Their flags would be blinding against the void.

>>44271241
>Germans
FOREST
DWELLERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
>>44271258
their was also the skilian blitz and several major pirate raids the batarians launched
>>44271279
yea I think it violated several council laws to make
>>44271321
Council treats the batarians like north Korea only there no china to back them up
>>
>>44271321
>military
I meant diplomatic
>>
>>44271321
I liked how despite there were galaxy spanning empires and 'enough red tape to sink a frigate'.
It made them a lot more relatable
>>
>>44271353
We should take everyone to space.
Why hate other humans when theres a whole galaxy of aliens to purge?
>>
>>44271397
>Germans
>human

Because not all humans have the proper mindset to fuck off into space.
Humanity is a state of mind, not a state of body.
>>
>>44271241
I wasn't hating. Was joking. Making laugh. Ha ha. Many funs.
>>
>>44270648
The problem is that worked for them. That was a legit tactic that took anti-vehicle tactics to counter.
>>
>>44271444
Oh.
Yes.
I feel dumb now.
Also
>>44271424
The germans have a pretty impressive record regarding culture and civilisation.
>>
>>44271279
Yes. We seriously delve into gene manipulation in ME whereas other races seem to fear it. We broke several council laws to make it but its usefulness outweighs the taboo. We continue to gene manipulate as well skirting the very definition of "loose definition."
>>
>>44271196
>its a small universe after all
>its a small, small, small universe AFTER ALL!
>>
>>44271447
it was also the fact the of the other citadel races only the salarins batarians and quarians could have had decent sized standing armies and the asari didn't allow a very militaristic culture to show up in citadel space until the krogan rebellion happened and the turians showed up
>>
>>44271196
>>44271524

This also bugs me. Why do most of these alien races seem to only have one or two distinctive cultures? Did they all develop civilizations on a single small continent, because even Europe is very different from Spain to Finland.
>>
File: FATW_Germans.png (303KB, 221x834px) Image search: [Google]
FATW_Germans.png
303KB, 221x834px
>>44271461
>Germans
>culture
>civilization

It's just a joke, anon
>>
>>44271601
Goddamn it.
Im a fuckin autist why cant i pick up on this shit?
Fuck me sideways
>>
>>44271556
Its funny because until they became e-cratic tge asari were akin to natives roaming and either living in peace or attack each other depending on tribe. Even among close neighbors tribes differed vastly.
>>
>>44271905
their civilization is based of the mediteranian greek city states
>>
>>44270450
Humans didn't start the first contact war. It was Turians who went apeshit when they saw humans messing with a relay.
>>
>>44272074
For a disciplined race based on rules and regulations, the Turians seemed very eager to forget first contact protocols in order to ad another client race to their empire.
>>
>>44271366
>>44271444
>>44271500
>>44271600

>>44271076
Truly based indeed
>>
>>44261107
Read your lore, the Halo Universe would mop the floor with Mass Effect's Universe & that's a fact. Halo Universe is OP.
>>
>>44268074
Yes, but THAT IS ALSO THE PROBLEM

Yes, the Insurrectionists wanted to separate.

Yes, a lot of them were jerks.

Yes, a lot of them had very good reasons to separate from the UNSC.

BUT KIDNAPPING CHILDREN, ILLEGAL GENETIC MODIFICATIONS, MASS MURDER, AND NUKING PROTESTERS DOESN'T HELP THE SITUATION.

THEY CAUSED MANY OF THE PROBLEMS THEMSELVES. THEIR SOLUTION WAS WORSE.
>>
>>44274323
Prewar UNSC would die. Their severe lack of shields and average soldiers would get killed by ME's bodysuits, personal and shipwide shields, and superior firearms. The ships are generally more maneuverable due to the eezo cores as well. They'd die. They could run and gun for a bit but eventually they'd burn.
>>
>>44271600
Do what I do, blame Ayylium!NASA. Going out into space is not something anyone can do and even less are AUTHORIZED to do so. Even for us, the people who will go into space to meet aliens will probably have degrees and thick resumes and have a thorough CIA background check. They aren't going to send just anyone into the void.
>>
>>44274565
But just like with the Covenant, UNSC would capture the Alien tech and adapt it for themselves, negating the shield advantage after a few years.
>>
>>44274483
Factually you're wrong. They could have happily lived with their evil selves but NUUUU some asshat colonial has to go and pick up a gun and then we gotta pick up our nukes and teach the kiddies a lesson. Keep your heads down if you want to keep them.
>>
>>44265691
>UNSC may be behind the Citadel on ballistics and shields
Don't know about this doesn't Mass Effect use Kinetic Barriers which do shit to energy based weapons? If that is the case then UNSC are better at shielding too.
>>
>>44274605
They'd have to stop to do that. The only safe place is earth and that is just asking for protracted, resource heavy fight to the slow death while they try and get the resources for it. Also earth had zero eezo which would dent any attempt at adopting tech based solely around it.
>>
>>44274668
would the UNSC would have award time finding more with the use of jump drives
>>
>>44274565
You do know Reapers only yield ~450 kilotons per shot when they fire their weapons right? PE UNSC can fire a 50 Gigaton round (that's 50000000 kilotons) from a Super MAC. The Mass Effect Universe is one of the weakest sci-fi Universes in gaming, why some gamers tend to try to put it on the same level as Halo is beyond me.
>>
>>44274625
Its a magnetic field held in place using biotic based barriers. It activates when sufficiently fast objects come nearby. The magnetic field alone would disperse the plasma. Lasers are a problem but mass effect touches base on that with how improbable infantry based laser is.
>>
>>44274625
>>44274565
Aren't MAC cannons gigaton-range weapons? The biggest, planetary-installation ones, at least?
>>
>>44274668
If you are waging war, you are gonna try to capture or destroy enemy fuel and resource supplies. This would give the UNSC material with which to work. They can dedicate most of the material for shielding or weapons, as they already have great FTL that beats ME's FTL
>>
>>44274699
Because you assume they can aim. They even state they're notoriously hard to aim. Planet defense is all they are since they fire such slow moving slugs to make up for it they make them stationary batteries with shit tons of AA. Mass effect universe can strap rockets on planet destroying meteor and say fuck it. They in fact routinely do that till the council put serious bans on planet fucking weapons which also exist. You assume the current weapons aren't a result of space geneva convention to avoid mutual planet destruction.
>>
>>44274783
This. If you slapped Pre-war Covenant Empire in the Mass Effect Universe they would mop the floor with the Universe. I mean Pre-war UNSC have a bomb that can destroy an entire planet.
>>
>>44274699
They would still lose once placed in the MEverse, as it's space opera, and the UNSC is run by a group of cartoonish supervillains at the best of times. ONI is basically Cerberus, and Shepard upper left blue'd those fuckers into the dirt.
>>
>>44274783
Almost all eezo is located in gas giants. The few rock planets that have it gained sentient life, namely the council races. You need the antigrav use of eezo to mine in the gravity well.
>>
>>44274846
militaristic heavy handed authority is the best description for UNSC when your looking at it negativly
>>
>>44274854
Just use the equipment there, by making the workers continue their duties. Fill a few with lead if they refuse. Problem solved. Kill the turians on the station to keep them from organizing a resistance.
>>
>>44274817
Please stop, if you even came to a vs thread on any other website you would be laughed off the internet. The Covenant Empire could make the Reapers their bitch & if Forerunner got involved it would be the end of the Mass Effect Universe. Doesn't really matter which version of the UNSC you use Mass Effect is effectively under powered.

Also the UNSC have MAC guns in their ships too. READ UP ON HALO LORE! Then read the Mass Effect Codec & then you will fully understand how pathetically weak Mass Effect is.
>>
>>44274932
Depends who's working and they're heavily defended for obvious reasons. What the yield on basic fleet ships i suppose is the deciding factor. Its the bigger sluggish ships that would be a problem since thats just easy targets for fast moving maneuverable fighters of ME and their fuck you torpedos. does the UNSC even have fighters? I remember halo 4 having experimental phase fighters that were pretty okay but that was only after covie tech.
>>
>>44274976
>The Covenant Empire could make the Reapers their bitch

Are they immune to indoctrination though? Reapers only pull out the guns once subterfuge is no longer an option.
>>
>>44274846
Here is a Halo vs Mass Effect thread on Space Battles please read.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/halo-vs-mass-effect-again-gasp.240950/
>>
>>44275057
Hunters would just eat any Reaper tech they find.
>>
>>44275084
Yup.
>>
>>44274976
You act like all MAC canons fire at 50 gigatons. The ship based ones take minutes to charge at low magnitudes without killing their reactors and fire much smaller much slower rounds. They again have to aim these precisely and hit the fast moving targets that are ME ships.
>>
>>44275261
ME fighters and frigates are fast. Not capital ships. The only capital ships that are fast are Reaper ships, and in cutscenes they move about as fast as fighters. Halo fighters and frigates are fast, with slow capital ships. Like every other space based game.
>>
>>44275261

Stop being a Mass Effect fanboy, the Mass Effect Universe is pathetic & are very low on the most powerful gaming sci-fi list. Protheans are laughable when compared to Forerunners who are at most equivalent to the Chozo of the Metroid series
>>
>>44275132
I wouldn't want to see hunters getting indoctrinated.
>>
>>44275372
They would just nom the Reaper tech used to indoctrinate people, then shit out info on it. Or the Engineers would turn it into a fucking sled or something.
>>
>>44275437
The only chance of them not being indoctrinated would be to seperate into individual works nullifying their threat. Not even sure why we're arguing this. Its pre cov unsc vs ME. Not halo vs ME. Admittedly it is the only chance that ME has.
>>
>>44261489
I don't know what the scale is like in halo, but ME ships have nonRelay based FTL. It just consumes fuel and time, where Relays are basically costless, and instantaneous.
>>
>>44275526
>Its pre cov unsc vs ME

They won't ever have a chance son.
>>
Guys what about when the UNSC reverse engineers mass effect tech?

An Alliance dreadnought's main gun fires a 20kg slug at 4025km/s every two seconds. Imagine a frigate MAC firing it's 600-ton slug at that velocity and with that rate of fire. Now imagine the power of an eezo-enhanced Super MAC.
>>
>>44275056
Sort of but the early ones are big like a quarter the size of the first Normandy.
>>
>>44261107
Considering that Halo humans already have a mastery of the basic Mass Effect technology without element zero, I think they'd be a military super power.
>>
>>44277333
Longswords are about a third of the length of the first Normandy. The UNSC doesn't seem to have any other kind of dedicated starfighter because Longswords are like a swiss army knife.
>>
>>44275590
The problem with non-relay FTL is that it builds up a static charge that will fry the ship and crew if they can't find a place to routinely discharge. It works for moving between stars that are fairly close together, but for galactic-scale trips they absolutely need the relays.

Halo's slipspace drives have the same issue, but they developed a material to discharge into instead of relying on planets/stations. Long trips with the relatively poor prewar human drives can take months, but they can set up shop in areas the ME races can't touch, bypass choke points, and most importantly it means they can afford to target the relays which would scare the everloving shit out of the council.
>>
>>44277850
Broadswords and Sabres exist too.
>>
>>44278041
Weren't one of those the experimental one?
>>
>>44278106
Broadsword has been in production sans shields since the 2530s, and the Sabre was the experimental one that still had small production runs, yes.
>>
>>44278041
The only source of info I could find is the wiki and it doesn't go into huge detail. Sabres and Broadswords were definitely around for most of the war, but they might have still been experimental by the time of first contact.

In the ME canon the human's love of carrier based forces that get around the dreadnought treaty limitations is well known. So the UNSC would probably invest more into fighter craft instead of fleets. Especially since they no longer have plasma cutting their ships in half all the time.
>>
>>44275721
That whole thread had so much dumb bullshit in it.
>>
So lessee.

The Council would be falling all over themselves to get slipspace tech. Prewar UEG doesn't have GREAT FTL, but it also doesn't depend on the mass relays so it literally opens up the rest of the universe. Potentially they also like the UEG's advances in medical technology.

The UEG, likewise, will be envious of the ME advances in shipbuilding - energy shields, compactness, insane maneuverability. Also the personal level shields and advances in weaponry.

How does the Insurrection play into all this? Does the Council have a non interference policy, or how would they react to cries of abuse from the outer colonies?
>>
>>44278915
Coincil would probably investigate, at least at first, but the UEG would try to stop them.
>>
>>44271684
Bend over.
>>
You make him proud anons.
>>
Okay guys
1. The UNSC was not in charge during the insurrection, there was a civilian government calling the shots
2. The insurrectionists were the guys nuking shit
3. Even during the war with the covenant, there were insurrectionists trying to fuck over the rest of humanity
4. The crack down on the insurrection, and the creation of the SPARTAN 2s , was because multiple geniuses, and advanced AIs, independently came up with the same prediction, that humanity would be knocked back into the stone age if it went on
5. Humanity is secretly ruled by a group of AIs. They better hope the council doesn't find out

Also, anyone else remember the Eclipse Phase/ME crossovers we had
>>
>>44266504

Well what exactly is "Soviet Union level". USSR had like... six significantly different stages in terms of how much you can get away with and how hard you got cracked down on.
>>
>>44278915
Council would investigate and sanction the shit out of them. They'd then take control of the government and show them how its down till they can be trusted. usually 3-4 gens which is absolutely acceptable for the asari council member who seems to be wearing the pants in that relationship. Assuming none of that can be done war would be declared.
>>
>>44280616
>Eclipse Phase/ME crossovers
you mean retarded HFY circlejerking?
>>
>>44280965
The problem with this is that unless we have a mass relay near Earth (which is unlikely in this scenario because if we did we would have found it centuries ago) they can't get to any of our core worlds. They are limited by the relay system, but we can surprise them from anywhere. In ME, no one has a fleet big enough to patrol their entire territory, but because long distance travel is limited by the relays, they just have fleets waiting around them that can blow up anything that comes out of FTL.
>>
>>44273979

No shit, this.
>>
>>44280669
They have fucking child soldiers.
>>
>>44280965

So... just like they did with the Batarians, right? Right?
>>
File: riot-shield-3.jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
riot-shield-3.jpg
66KB, 640x480px
>>44280616
1. The UNSC was involved in numerous incidents and perpetuated their own. to be fair, it seems it was a fault all throughout the government structure.

2. The UNSC was also responsible for nuking a colony. Probably their ONI branch, but it was still them. They are also responsible for enforcing brutal policies on the colonies under them that makes rebellion inevitable.

3. This is true.

4. This is Simpsons tier.

>We tried oppressing them
>We tried shipping them off to Colonies
>We beat up people who complained about taxes
>But it still hasn't worked! What about 'muh united 'umanity!' Haven't they read my stories!?

>I know, I will kidnap children, brainwash them and use them as guinea pigs for illegal experiments to create a new brand of jack booted thugs to spread terror through the galaxy

5. The secret ONI AI's, right?
>>
>>44265691
Actually, there is the need to discharge static buildup with slipspace, its just that it's mentioned only once, in Dr. Halsey's journal.
Thread posts: 171
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.