[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/ I'm trying to figure out a class advancement system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: 1368052389370.jpg (2MB, 2800x2461px) Image search: [Google]
1368052389370.jpg
2MB, 2800x2461px
Hey /tg/ I'm trying to figure out a class advancement system for my homebrew.
I'd like to make it not too complocated and the class paths specialized depending on they actually do in game, but what to about the flavor? lets say a fighter can specialize in defense or offese, how should I call them? knight and attacker? or make one specialized in melee and the other in ranged? knight and archer? how could I advance an archer class further? lend me your expertise.
>>
>What should I call them
I think you're putting your cart before the horse.
Worry about naming things after you figure out the crunch.

How does your system even work? Like a weird DnD FFT where your first few levels are Squire, but then your 3rd and 4th level are Knight, and your 5th and 6th are Monk?

We can't help you if you don' t give us something to work with
>>
>>44231355
Its something like a WHFB lite, class progression should be optional and only give access to exclusive skills.
basic classes are your three barebones archetypes: fighter, rougue and whizzard.
>>
You're getting ahead of yourself. First, have a solid resolution mechanic. Then put together a list of feasible challenges. Then figure out the class stuff, and how classes overcome challenges. Bonus points: solve the 'linear fighter quadratic wizard' problem without simply making wizards linear too and calling it a day.
>>
>>44231538
Go check out FLOORS, it's run on /tg/ every so often

>6 Basic Classes
>each has 4 skills
>Your character starts with 2 skills
>Gains 1 skill per level
>Gains 1 level per completed map
>Once you learn all the basic skills you can promote to a Prestige Class that changes how those skills work in tandem with each other.

Ultimately a Prestige Class should take the concept of the earlier class and bring it to a new level.
>>
>>44231932
>have a solid resolution mechanic
I do
>figure out the class stuff, and how classes overcome challenges.
that's not going to help me give class advances a flavor
>linear fighter quadratic wizard
dude what
>>44232248
yeah I know how those games work
more than reinventing the original, I want my prestiges to add them focus on somethng.
>>
>>44232367
Well what is your resolution mechanic then?
>>
>>44232426
Percentile roll
>>
>>44232367
>linear fighter quadratic wizard
>dude what
linear fighter:
level 1 fighter can swing a sword
level 10 fighter can swing a sword really hard
level 20 fighter can swing a sword extremely hard

quadratic wizard:
level 1 wizard can make sparks come out from their hands
level 10 wizard can make a giant fireball
level 20 wizard can make nukes
>>
>>44232482
Oh man, now its gonna get ugly.
I specifically designed the system to be like that.
wizards have magic. magic rapess the laws of physics. its pretty logic if you ask me.
I made sure there are punishments for fuckups though.
>>
File: 1357868756521.png (597KB, 709x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1357868756521.png
597KB, 709x1012px
>>44232482
More like

>Fighter Level 1: Can swing weapon, may trade accuracy for damage
>Fighter Level 10: Can swing weapon several times, may trade accuracy for damage
>Fighter Level 20: Can swing weapon five times, may trade accuracy for damage

>Wizard Level 1: Can magically rearrange an entire room on his whim, can recolor anything any color, can put any mundane group of creatures to sleep(like an entire squad during a war), can shoot a magic mind raping rainbow that'll fuck up everyone in range, zap you with a homing laser
>Wizard Level 10: Can conjure deadly fogs you can't defend against besides asphyxiating yourself, Can turn invisible, become stronger than a bear, fly, rot your limbs, permanently blind/deafen you, zap you with lightning
>Wizard Level 20: Isn't there to kill you, has created his own timeless dimension far beyond your reach and even farther beyond your understanding. If he was there to even bother with you he could damn your soul to solitude in a magical gem worth your entire kingdom, could summon your own Angels and shit to carve you up, blast you with magic space rocks, turn you into a cat

I mean, 20 levels of fighter still help you if you permanently turn into a cat
>>
>>44232482
I would say you could potentially balance it by wizards getting levels slower, or fighters leveling up faster.

But at that point, fighters would hit a plateau compared to fully matured wizards
>>
File: 1346669924524.jpg (246KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1346669924524.jpg
246KB, 1000x800px
>It's another 'you do damage and they lose hp' game.

Why are you even bothering?
>>
>>44231169
>how should I call them?
You shouldn't since a simple offense/defense divide isn't worth a class title, a new class name should mean new kickass array of abilities to choose from.

And these abilities should name the class for you.
>>
>>44231932
>solve the 'linear fighter quadratic wizard' problem
Why would that even be a problem in someone's homebrew? It wasn't even a thing in every edition of the game that spawned it.
>>
>>44232779
I balanced the wizard by giving the hp damage equal to mp used if they try to cast beyond their small pool of MP and fail.
I would upload the rules since you can easily read everything in five minutes, but I had to translate from english to my first language out of clarity and translating everything back for the sake of a thread would be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>44233106

Starting from the abilities and flavoring the class out of them. now this is a good idea
>>
I quoted myself dammit

>>44233235 goes to >>44232962
>>
>>44233106
What are you wizards capable of that they require this and why wouldn't you balance them by making them less capable?

Because that sounds terrible. If your wizards can kill themselves using their main gimmick then that gimmick needs to be really good when it works, but it also needs to not work often enough for the downside to have real teeth. Presumably this is left up to dice rolls and so luck could often play a bigger role in player success than any actual decision.
>>
>>44233235
It's pretty basic anon.

>Wizard
>Specializes in Fire spells
>Classes up to Pyromancer
>Gain access to more advanced and versatile Fire spells

>Specializes in disabling spells
>Classes up to Binder
>Gain access to stronger crowd control spells
>>
>>44233584
Something like that i guess
>>44233490
it works like this:
heat ray does 1d4 damage and costs 1 mp. when the wizard levels up, he can take again the same spell, making it level 2. this means that he can pay one more mp and with an increase in casting difficulty, have the heat ray do 2d4 damage. and can upgrade the dice from d4 to d6 paying again the spell cost for the number of dices used. this happens up to level 3 spells. if the wizard casts without being able to pay the spell cost, he gets a further malus: if he fails to cast, he takes the exact amout of mp spent in hp damage.
>>
>>44233490
How many times has an apprentice killed themselves trying to cast spells beyond their ability? Or saved the day by luckily out with magic they don't understand?

I could see this system giving access to high tier magic early on. Sure, you could try to use it in a pinch, but you'll likely kill yourself in the attempt.

Stronger wizards, having larger MP pools, would be able to safely cast stronger spells.
>>
>>44233771
Using your example does this mean that a wizard casting Heat Ray can spend

1 mp to deal 1d4 damage,
2 mp to deal 2d4 damage, and
4 mp to deal 2d6 damage

provided he has level 2 Heat Ray?
>>
>>44234115
Yep. take in consideration some factors:
-commoner in underwear have 9 hp, and have 30% chance of dodging it
-magic skill of the wizard starts around 50% (it takes around two level up to increase it by another 10%), and casting a 2d6 damage heat ray gives him a -30% chance of success
-casting a spell eats up all the wizard turn, and being hit or similar instantly distrupts the spell.
>>
File: 1444881331784.png (499KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1444881331784.png
499KB, 500x500px
>>44234348
Christ.
>>
File: 1438572228349.jpg (63KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
1438572228349.jpg
63KB, 680x453px
>class system
>>
File: 5d9204f0.jpg (28KB, 800x335px) Image search: [Google]
5d9204f0.jpg
28KB, 800x335px
>>44234635
Something wrong anon?
>>
File: robononono.gif (994KB, 486x289px) Image search: [Google]
robononono.gif
994KB, 486x289px
>>44235054
>Everything you've done for this system

This is just horrible, disgusting.
There isn't anything salvageable about this "system".
It's just another not-DnD clone with a different die involved.
>>
>>44236068
>>44231169
Wow. It's been a long time since I've seen a system this shit. I need to vomit.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.