[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post-apocalyptic Middle East campaign. Where do you set it,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 12

File: 1446304476969.jpg (157KB, 910x1118px) Image search: [Google]
1446304476969.jpg
157KB, 910x1118px
Post-apocalyptic Middle East campaign.

Where do you set it, and how do you do set the mood/setting?

Please no /pol/, I'm serious. I actually want to run this. I'm considering urban parts of Israel.
>>
It's really hot, there are large stretches of desert between fertile areas, but the lack of overall moisture means the structures there will survive a lot longer. The local petrol sources would be nice but it's not really all that useful without ways to refine the raw stuff. At least there's plenty of easily-accessed weaponry for self-protection... and more. If modern religious sects seen today exist in the post-apocalypse, it might be pretty dangerous outside of what caused the apocalypse in the first place, if applicable.
>>
>>44222558
Oh man, the petrol shit just gave me an idea, even if it might not work out.

Gang of raiders out of Dubai jacks the fleet of supercars their police own. A rusted to shit Bugatti Veyron with a PKP mounted out the passenger window and armor plating on it, leading a fleet of sports cars Mad Max-style.

Impractical but cool as FUCK.
>>
File: 1411939606330.jpg (97KB, 340x444px) Image search: [Google]
1411939606330.jpg
97KB, 340x444px
>>44222518
>Post-apocalyptic Middle East

So how exactly is it any different to how it now looks there?
>>
>>44222883

A bunch of people will be running around the streets shouting "I told you so!" in whatever is the local dialect, also anyone relying on imports, especially for food and water, is fugged.

Probably more rioting than average going on in formally affluent places like the UAE and Israel.
>>
>>44222883
the fuck-you-all-i'm-fucking-loaded places now have some really pretty rubble or precarious ruined skyscrapers on their last legs?
>>
>>44222883
It could be argued that the Middle East is still pulling itself together after their encounter with the rolling apocalypse that was the Mongols.
>>
>>44223069
That was a whole Ottoman Empire ago.
>>
I'd play a game about isis. I assume that's what you mean by post apocalypse since the middle east has been post apocalyptic for a long time now.
>>
>>44223321
Are they Chaotic Sunni or Chaotic Shia?
>>
>>44222883
Things are actually allowed to achieve a new status quo instead of the west keeping things from playing out to their conclusions because MUH OIL
>>
>>44222518
they have a lot of muslims in the middle east mosques are by far the most astheticly appealing religious building i wonder how well that would carry over to ruined buildings

given the state of the middle east right now it cant be hard to find a lot of pictures of ruins so you would at the very least have a lot to draw on visually.

as for where to set it i would say either saudi arabia so you can visit meca interesting to see how the apocalypse would effect that area or israel so you can set explore a ruined Jerusalem (it would most likely be where the apocalypse started).

you will need to consider how much access to water there will be in where you set it to.

if you count Egypt you could make use of the pyramids.
>>
>>44223926
And on that note i guess you have to decide if its only the middle east that is ruined or the whole planet and the players just happen to be in the middle east.
>>
>>44223351
But ISIS is anything but chaotic. They are like a poster boy for Lawful Evil.
>>
>>44222518

> I'm considering urban parts of Israel.

That would work pretty well, altough it would end up a littlle too close to real life for comfort. factions would probably be along the same lines as nowadays, only more seperated. Hamas and Hezbollah would turn against eachother, the orthodox jews would form their own faction to live "properly", parts of the IDF that were not wiped out in whatever conflict birthed the apocalypse would form sone brotherhood of steel type faction, and there would probably be a group of normal people running around thelling alll these nuts to fuck off.

As for themes and setting details, think of a more urban Mad Max. The land is dead and Arid, finding wateer is key for everyone, and scavenging involves running around in the ruined cities of the former civillisation.
>>
File: Easy (Structural Effects Test).webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Easy (Structural Effects Test).webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>44222518
>Post-apocalyptic

Exactly what do you mean by that? Oil runs out? Economic collapse? .webm related? Or some combination of the above?
>>
File: captionbuilder.png (3KB, 662x71px) Image search: [Google]
captionbuilder.png
3KB, 662x71px
>>44223944
>>
File: 40104749.jpg (205KB, 750x574px) Image search: [Google]
40104749.jpg
205KB, 750x574px
>>44224014
>>
>>44223432
Shoo shoo /pol/.
>>
>>44222518
Post-Apocalyptic Dubai is just Spec Ops: The Line.
>>
>>44223944
ISIS is basically a shit ton of lawful evil paladins

>prove me wrong, paladin shills
>>
>>44223432
>>it's allways your fault, white Christian cismales europeans!
No, fuck you. Barbarians gonna go bar-bar.
>>
>>44223432
This right here is a perfect example of ignorance of the region and geopolitics as a whole.
>>
>>44223069
No, it really couldn't. I mean, maybr if you're only understanding of history is from youtube videos and whatever poor excuse for an education system shit you out, then yeah, you could try. But you'd be dead wrong.
>>
They ain't paladins...they are just bandits pretty much. Not even fighter class, just warrior class or commoners with no weapon proficiency.
>>
>>44222883
Basically exactly how it is right now, only that the Anglos managed to infect people with deadly diseases that kill 90% of the population AGAIN.
>>
>>44222518
Just after the arab invasions. I'd set it during the leadup to the first siege of Constantinople.
>justinians plague
>arab invasions
>not too mention the most exhausting row of roman-persian wars right beforehand
That era ended the antique era, and took away the standard with shit tons of well populated cities with it, barring Constantinople and Thessaloniki
>>
>>44223069
>It could be argued that the Middle East is still pulling itself together after their encounter with the rolling apocalypse that was the Mongols.

What a flaccid excuse, the Mongols were almost 800 years ago.

Meanwhile Germany got through the Thirty Years War with half it's population and a third of it's infrastructure dead, and it bounced back into a Great Power within 300 years.
>>
>>44223944

Not exactly. As with everything in the middle east, there's a lot of posturing and propaganda. ISIS is actually pretty chaotic and appealing to people's urge to rampage. Then later after the fact they come up with islamic legal justifications for why what they were going to do anyway was in fact the Only True Version of Islam.

That's a useful theme to have in your game. Have people do all kinds of crazy shit, come up with crazy justifications, and then try to bull through the hypocrisy on sheer gall.

>>44222518

I'd read a few good histories of the Lebanese civil war. You have all the major players fighting it out with limited resources all in one big, cosmopolitan, incredibly fucked up city.

So you've got hot chicks in miniskirts and bikinis at nightclubs, shiite radicals covered head to toe, violent clerics, violent criminals, violent academics, and innocent people of all kinds just trying to survive. Plus profiteers, fixers, players, and ne'er do well. And shadowy spies, diplomats, and provocateurs from every politically relevant nation in the world all trying to sway things to their advantage.

It's like a weaponized, in-person 4chan.
>>
>>44227865

Sorry, I forgot my point. Read up on the Lebanese civil war, because that's EXACTLY what a post-apoc middle east would be like.
>>
File: desert.jpg (259KB, 638x694px) Image search: [Google]
desert.jpg
259KB, 638x694px
>>44222518
>Where do you set it
Canaan/Levant
>how do you do set the mood/setting?
The year realtive to modern era is unknown. Technology is similar to that of ancient times, with a few radioactive relics and ruins of the modern world remain.
The region is broken amongst varying tribes all with their own rivalries. Some Complementing the rivalries is the large amount of religious ferment in the land, tensions have grown between the descending and surviving faiths of contemporary religions, as well as brand new religions (and those groups that abandoned god).
You are a humble trader in the desert. You are not a particularly religious man, but you are given a message from what may be god, that if the land is not brought to peace soon, destruction will come from the lands beyond its borders. It becomes your job to save this land from yet another apocalypse.
>>
>>44222518
Look at the modern middle east. That's it.
>>
>>44223069
Both the Ottomans and the Safawids had pretty large Empires until the Russians and the Brits finally managed to out-Empire and rek them.
>>
>>44222518
I'd suggest Dubai myself, but that would make things a bit too "western" I guess?

No Spec Ops references, please.
>>
>>44222518
Just use the modern day Middle East
>>
>>44229578
>Where do you set it
Canaan/Levant

>You are a humble trader in the desert.

The Levant isn't a desert, though, besides the Negev (southern Israel). Israel, Lebanon, western Syria, Hatay... it's all pretty lush and green.
>>
>>44223069
>he dindu nuffin wrong, he a good jihadist!
I'm really getting tired of all these Muslim apologists
>>
>>44230838

Dubai has no reliable fresh water supplies and almost everyone there would either abandon the place or die off. You might have a few small fortified settlements built around semi-functioning oil facilities (like the town in Road Warrior), but that's about it. They'd mostly go back to the Bedouin lifestyle, which means wandering over an area a lot larger than just the UAE.
>>
>>44223926
>mosques are by far the most astheticly appealing religious building
Kek.
>>
File: Crazy_Hassan.jpg (545KB, 1980x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Crazy_Hassan.jpg
545KB, 1980x1350px
>>44222518
find a way to stick Crazy Hassan in there
>>
File: 1387675388967.gif (2MB, 400x237px) Image search: [Google]
1387675388967.gif
2MB, 400x237px
>Post-apocalyptic Middle East campaign

Mad Max, e.i. Modern Middle East except the nice parts are now also shit.
>>
File: des.jpg (50KB, 847x357px) Image search: [Google]
des.jpg
50KB, 847x357px
>>44230929
But its the apocalypse anon!
>>
>>44233847

If climate change is part of the deal, then yeah. I just mentioned it because some people think that everything "over there" is one big desert.
>>
>>44232937
Instead of camels, he will be selling boats.
Only slightly leaking, great price.
>>
>>44223432
the middle east cant fix itself that much is clear that sort of thinking is what led to the rise of isis thanks to fuckers insisting people leave the country before it was ready.
>>
>>44231065
well what do you think looks best anon
>>
File: cath.jpg (660KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cath.jpg
660KB, 1024x768px
>>44234548
Not the guy you responded to, but Gothic Cathedral's are certainly the most intricate and aesthetically pleasing places of worship.
Even the most intricate mosques are pretty much just copies of Byzantine churches.
>>
File: burma-buddhist-temple.jpg (443KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
burma-buddhist-temple.jpg
443KB, 800x600px
>>44231065
>>44234758
Buddhists have some pretty nice buildings in my opinion. Sorry the picture's low quality.
>>
>>44234758
i will admit they look nice

to be honest im not sure why i prefer mosques something about them just looks really nice to me.
>>
>>44223351
underrated post desu
>>
>>44223351
Chaotic ibadi.
>>
>>44222518
In my setting for a near-future game, all the strings sort of get pulled and more or less the entire subcontinent gets powerfully blanket-EMP'd just as several key governments dissolve.

When everything is said and done it's essentially a complete and utter wasteland, devoid even of anything resembling a proper government. Much of the territory is temporarily considered international territory in the wake of the war, and a sizable chunk is a more or less unpoliced and unpolicable american territory sometimes referred to as the "51st state." It's been like this for some 20ish years, and pretty much the only form of law is the occasional military drone strike in the american territories. It's a legal black hole that has attracted many less-than-savory organizations. Essentially, the only thing stopping terrible Umbrella.Co style companies from just running riot and doing whatever they want there is the threat of being bombed totally flat if they make to much noise. The opium trade is absolutely fucking THRIVING there.
>>
>>44222518
Hmm, I'd do Fallout + Dune with a touch of Arabian Nights. Add in some Dark Sun influences, and serve.
>>
File: 17pw6n6zlmrhmjpg.jpg (50KB, 800x457px) Image search: [Google]
17pw6n6zlmrhmjpg.jpg
50KB, 800x457px
No possible Djinn showing back up after modern infrastructure is gone?
>>
>>44224152
They chisel scripture into the barrels of guns to make them +1

They are overall -2 against pork
>>
>>44224152
>ISIS
>LE

ISIS breaks laws all the time. Their very existence is denounced by religious authorities. Inb4 hurf durf not all Muslims but no, really, ISIS is the equivilant of Catholics living according to the Old Testament. Beating their slaves and making their wives move out on their period and lynching people who eat meat on Friday. Sure its in the fucking book but its the part of the book sane modern people - aka Muslims not living under Sharia law in the west - ignore

Besides that they also smuggle, deal drugs, heavily tax and steal from people the conquer, etc. They get paid in USD and use it to buy US goods.

ISIS is a bunch of really pissed off young men led by a bunch of super pissed off old men. They're NE to CE, the equivilant to larcenous orcs, moreso than LE paladins. You want LE? Putin. He obeys the law, and when he doesn't he changes the law so itnsuits him. When he makes unilateral actions, he has an excuse. "Oh I'm just liberating/protecting Russians" blah blah. And despite crossing him, he's not bombing turkey right now
>>
>>44233412

>the new reporter

hey, im fucking talking here
>>
>>44240243
They adhere to their version of faith so much more than everyone else around them. They consider themselves holy warriors that follow each and every one of the rules of Islam to the absolute letter. Any tiny attempt at violation is execution, and their executions are on those godless heathens that violate their rules.

It's just all those secular laws that they totally ignore because no point.

And what that other guy said about carving script into their guns and knives to make them holier and better against the filthy unbelievers.

But Lawful Evil to the strongest degree someone can possibly get.
>>
In all honesty OP? A lot of the cities are gone and ancient settlements are rebuilt. Modern middle East depends on modern desalinization and water transportation, without that Dubai for example will be swallowed by desert. Your best bet is to look up medieval middle East - pre Islam if you can find anything - and read up on that to get a good idea. New kingdoms and new religions flourishing. It won't be nothing but durka durka Muslims, it isn't that now.much as the Muslims would like it to be (gotta kill dem Kurds!)
>>
>>44240344
I reconsidered and in prepared to say theyre LE because they have cohesion and lack infighting, inline classic NE or CE races. However, everything you just said? So do the Drow, and they're CE, drizzle clones not withstanding.
>>
Different factions should primarily compose different pre-existing tribes from certain regions, as well as other, newer tribes and large factions, like:

>The Remnants
When the world fell, most nations didn't have time to pull their troops before their governments collapsed. Inhabiting the ruins of old US military forts throughout the region, the remnants are one of the better known mixed bags. While some have turned to banditry and raiding, most are an effective, if often brutal and vengeful, peacekeeping force, particularly throughout the Afghan mountains, where they hold shaky alliances with the powerful tribes. They also have a more stable alliance with the New Republic.

>The Caliphate

Encompassing some parts of the Iraqi desert, the Caliphate is a massive band of raiders operating on Islamic Shariah law. Following the words of a prophet claiming to receive his orders from both Muhammad and Allah directly, he rules what territories he does control with an iron fist. Their main operating base is in the ruins of Baghdad.

>The New Republic of Iran

Iran underwent a drastic change in government policy before the fall, turning from a brutal theocracy parading as a republic, to a true democracy. One of the more powerful forces in the region, the Republic battles constantly with Caliphate forces. They are currently lead by President Amir Sal-Haddin, who has allied them with friendly NATO remnants.

>Israel

The Holy Land was battered by the fall, but not destroyed. Now in a sort of child's monkeying of the rule of King David, Israel is a strong merchant nation that trades not only with local nations, but even with some of the rumored tribes of Europe. They are bitter enemies of the Caliphate, who constantly raid their caravans, and hold a distrust for the New Ottoman Empire.

Egypt and the rest of the Levant peninsula, as well as Saudi Arabia, is mostly composed of Bedouin versions of Mad Max gangs.
>>
>>44223944
they may be comparable with caesars legion..

yes, if everything is a burning, radiated shithole, they may be seen as some kind of "civilisation"

But i would plant some other factions in there, since other nations (or whats left of them) is probably trying to secure some of the oil
>>
>>44240243
>>the equivalent of Catholics living according to the Old Testament
Are you really this dense?
>>
>>44222518
...I accidentally read the OP as "Post-apocalyptic Middle Earth campaign."

And thought "wow, that's COOL".
>>
>>44225917

So the same but improved? How was that an apocalypse?
>>
>>44243036

Middle-Earth had already experienced an apocalypse, or three by the time of LOTR.
>>
>>44242900
Jews ain't real, Anon.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.