[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It is a day of disappointment for me, /tg/, >Know this guy,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: giphy.gif (719KB, 475x257px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
719KB, 475x257px
It is a day of disappointment for me, /tg/,

>Know this guy, bachelor of science in chemistry, supposed to have epic knowledge of the rules, have asked him several times over the years on rule clarifications, played in his campaigns, etc
>Be a few years in the hobby
>Last session guy fails in the rules field like four times
>Want to discuss his failings
>Present all the PHB/DMG material quotes, threads from different forums on how certain things are done
>Bluntly refuses to add 2 + 2, forces his interpretations

mfw

Did you ever look up to someone who was supposed to "know the game", but as you grew, you realized they are just hacks, winging the whole thing?
>>
>>44207640
I don't know what to say, OP. The fact that BOTH of you are so asswhipped about what the rules are makes me question what part of this you find fun.
>>
>>44207730
Well here's the thing: Systems are made to be balanced. They are not be made to be even further torn apart by on-the-fly solutions. You can homebrew after you have played the system for a year, after you know it in and out. But not when just starting as in our case.
>>
>>44207770

>Systems are made to be balanced.

It's like the only system you are vaguely familiar with is 4th edition D&D.
>>
>threads from different forums
How does that have any weight?
>>
>>44207640
Gonna need more info to tell if you're autistic but justified, or just autistic
>>
>>44207640
Was he the DM ?
>>
>>44207640
Had this nWoD Storyteller that was supposed to be this super vet that knew everything about both nWoD and oWoD.

I had to correct him twice per session on very mundane things and he couldn't remember shit from the session before, resulting in a jump from inter-covenant intrigue to running away from dissolving fishmen and then catapulted into some sort of war with VII.

Major dissapointment and the game got so shit that every player left on the same day.
>>
>>44207799
I know 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 and now 5e(still learning).

>>44207807
None if retards are posting. But among the populace of the web, there will always be a few people that really know their shit. i am referring to those posts.

>>44207808
It's a question of Invisibility and Darkness in 5e.

Accourding to DM, darkness is an "Impenetrable black wall and creatures with darkvision can just rain arrows on you from its cover" and Invisibility means "completelly undetectable target unless using magical means to spot it".
>>
>>44207807
Not OP, but I can answer. Different forums have different communities, in one forum you might have good GMs and players that you can listen to for advice, another might be full of number crunching autists that can point flaws on the system itself and a third might be the company forums where you can get the devs to come in and explain their intent in certain rulings, or what they plan to errata.
>>
>>44207832
Well, thats false - Darkness creates a ZONE of darkness, more comperable to a dome or a cloud. It is however, pitch black and you cannot see through it. You CAN attempt to attack enemies within, but you take blind penalties. UNLESS you have Ultravision, as Darkness is magical in nature and Darkvision is not sufficient. In any case, unless you have a means to see through it, attacking enemies shrouded in Darkness means you take a 50% chance to miss.

Same penalty for attacking someone who is invisible, though you CAN detect them possibly via hearing, as invisibility does not negate sound.

This does sound pretty basic, particularly the invisibility thing.
>>
>>44207832
So, you got mad at someone for an interpretation of Darkness vs Invisibility?

You're more autistic than I thought. This isn't the kind of on the fly ruling that tears a system apart.
>>
>>44207861
This.

>>44207865
Not Vs. For interpretating both WRONG and not listening to arguments.

And I see you have little knowledge of what such rulings can do. When it comes to combat in dark places and all you have is some basic illumination, encounter CR raises SIGNIFICANTLY.
>>
His game his rules. He's the GM after all.
>>
>>44207884
If it was 3.5, I'd be concerned but in 5E it don't matter. None of this matters.
>>
>>44207865
Also, he failed at Oppurtunity attack rulings and didnt' know 5e has no Charge. Did heed my comments in these two cases, tho.

>>44207890
True. I told him this too. But I just find it sad. I thought better of him.
>>
>>44207770
>They are not be made to be even further torn apart by on-the-fly solutions.
Bitch, on the fly rulings is what makes or breaks a DM.
>>
>>44207909
Yes, when it comes to territory, uncharted by the rules.
>>
>>44207917
>Yes, when it comes to territory, uncharted by the rules.
No, when it comes to cool shit.

If your DM wants to give a bonus for charging because it's cool, then he should. Same for allowing an opportunity attack.
>>
So the GM made a call you disagreed with.

And you stopped the game in order to show him online proof that you were right.

Fuck off, that kind of shit's for after game, you wasted everyone's time.
>>
>>44207799
It's like you are only familiar with D&D and it's variants...
>>
>>44207945
Yeah, but to what extend does it break the system?

>>44207947
hardly. We've discussed stuff after the game via emails.

You guys really assume the worst.
>>
>>44207770
>Systems are made to be balanced.
You have a naive amount of faith in writers and developers.

All in all, I'd say you need to stop revering rules and perceived 'rule gurus'. You'll have more fun.
>>
File: 228.jpg (281KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
228.jpg
281KB, 640x1136px
>>44207945
>giving bonuses because it's "cool"
>>
>>44207970
IMO that's cool AFTER I know system in and out.
>>
>>44207982
>IMO that's cool AFTER I know system in and out.
Do you realise how rule-worshipping that sounds?
>>
>>44207997
System is meant to be played by the rules. What is uncharted rules-wise may be charted only after lots of experience with the system.
>>
>>44207981
>not giving your players bonuses when they have good ideas
>not giving opponents bonuses when the players are dumbasses
What are you, a WoW server ?
>>
>>44208027
You know the most important rule is Rule 0, right?

"Fuck the rules"?
>>
>>44208027
The system is a means to an end, not the end itself.

You sound like you might have more fun playing video games, and I say that without any sort of inherent judgment.
>>
>>44208035
Always taken into account. After I express ma griveance on certain lack of knowledge, I go on willingly.

>>44208043
Actually I want to know the rules well so when i GM, I can present my players with most flowing sessions possible.
>>
>>44208029
There's a difference between

>giving player bonuses on a good idea
>giving player bonuses due to careful planning
and
>giving player bonuses because he wants to do a triple somersault and give a theater play monologue while doing it before striking his opponent in the aorta with the tip of his buster sword
>>
>>44208078
>giving player bonuses because he wants to do a triple somersault and give a theater play monologue while doing it before striking his opponent in the aorta with the tip of his buster sword
I'd let him do that with a massive malus to succeed and a massive bonus to damages.
>>
>>44207770
I was more pointing out that both of you put the system before the game, particularly when your interpretations conflict.
>>
>>44207640
>played in his campaigns
GM discretion nigga.
Whether he's retarded or not has nothing to do with it, it's his choice.
Plus the fact you're so colon crucified here probably proves that you arseholed him about it so he just said he didn't care and did shit his own way.

You're both shite.
>>
>>44207981
if someone's doing something that entertains the group more, would make a good story, or had good/sense making roleplay, why the fuck not give them a bonus?

Sorry you can only see in statistics and rolls bro.
>>
File: Last Stand.jpg (355KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Last Stand.jpg
355KB, 1920x1080px
>>44208078

Yep, just another day running an Exalted game.
>>
>>44208528
it had nothing to do with entertainment, good story or contributing to roleplay.
>>
>>44208528
You are the "intimidate the avalanche" crowd.

You are the worst kind of player/GM
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.