[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a DM, is it acceptable to narrate PC-NPC interactions vaguely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: suzanne_treister_hexen_5_744px.jpg (155KB, 744x496px) Image search: [Google]
suzanne_treister_hexen_5_744px.jpg
155KB, 744x496px
As a DM, is it acceptable to narrate PC-NPC interactions vaguely and in third person?

IE: "The townspeople thank you for killing the bandit"

I know it's bad form, but I have a hard time narrating character personalities and how they'd speak when put on the spot
>>
It's bad form to rely on it all the time. It's acceptable, however, when there's bigger things going on and you don't want a flood of interactions for minor things slowing down the game.
>>
I don't mind that, if I get the same courtesy in return.

"The townspeople thank you."
"I tell the townspeople your welcome."
>>
>>44206074
I think it kind of depends on the situation

Sometimes it's really not that important to have a conversation with the village if there's something more pressing at hand

but if it's part of the main focus of the session, you should probably play it out
>>
Nothing wrong with it. One tip I heard is to always add in a 'but' to the descriptive statements to add another dimension.

"The townspeople thank you for killing the bandit, but they still seem a bit shocked and uncomfortable."
"The old matron stares coldly at you from the doorway, but steps aside to let you in."
"It's a harsh and unforgiving cold mountain, but you might be able to find some warmth huddled together."
>>
>>44206074
Depends on your players, but if I had issue with a particular situation, I'd let the DM know. As a general technique, no issue with it. Keeps the story rolling.
>>
>>44206074
It's tiring to narrate every interaction personally, and when you want to move things along quickly then doing so vaguely like that is the most efficient way. But if a GM endeavours to speak personally as much as possible, then it's alright to have lapses like that.
>>
Like other have said this is a perfectly fine way of narration. I often use it when my players want to get shopping and resting over fast. First person is great when more depth and more detailed conversations are required however.
>>
>>44206074
As a primarily OD&D/Gamma World 1E GM, this is really the only way to do it.

I don't give a fuck about your snowflake and the monsters in my fetid anus of a dungeon don't want to talk to you. Shut up and get in the meat grinder!
>>
>>44206106
>your welcome
>your
Anon
please
>>
>>44207838
To be fair, if he's saying it outloud, the townspeople will never know.
>>
>>44207885
They are probably illiterate anyway.
>>
Sometimes. If you can't think of anything good to say, I think a player would rather hear a general statement than listen to you flounder through something off the top of your head. Like when I tried to have a captain ask the players with help on their boat and I realised I had no idea what kind of shit needs doing on a boat, so the captain who was acceptably eloquent until now sounds flustered and says "I uh... need help with... rigging!"
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.