[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been an adventure module where the players were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

Has there ever been an adventure module where the players were eaten by a monstrous fish and had to escape?
>>
>>44196524
I'm almost sure I have read one... gimme a sec.
>>
>>44196722
Well damn. I swear this exists, but I can't find it.
>>
>>44196524
No idea, wouldn't mind trying to make a homebrew one, you got ideas?
>>
>>44197436
Well, I think we'd need to start by moving it out of a fish. There isn't any gas in the stomach of a fish--that's not how they work. And a baleen whale is likewise out, because their throats are made to swallow plankton--a blue whale's is maybe three times as wide as yours or mine, and it's the largest baleen whale around (not to mention animal ever).

So we'd be looking for a toothed whale. The go-to seems like it'd be a gigantic sperm whale, but we've got some problems here, too.
>>
File: Matham-Beached-whale.jpg (167KB, 800x553px) Image search: [Google]
Matham-Beached-whale.jpg
167KB, 800x553px
>>44197909
So it's got a chambered stomach, and what's useful for an adventuring location is that the first of these doesn't digest anything. If you were gonna have people living inside and not being digested by some really awful stuff that might as well be on a plane of fire and brimstone, it'd need to be in the fore-stomach.

Unfortunately, what that stomach is used for is crushing. Even the toothed whales don't chew anything--they just swallow it up. It gets ground to shit in that first stomach.
>>
What about that one whale from Pinocchio?
>>
>>44197909
>>44198200
I'd just handwave away most of those problems for the same reason Link could survive in Lord Jabu-Jabu. Sure most of those problems are good if getting eaten is a hazard, but if it's a dungeon to itself then it should be possible to treat it as one
>>
>>44197909

Couldn't it just be like, a magic fish of some sort?
>>
>>44198200
YO!! THATS THE WHALES DICK
>>
>>44198200
But let's say that the whale is just unreasonably huge. Like three-thousand feet long. And for the hell of it, let's say that the crushing stomach doesn't crush everything, all the way. How can we make that work? Maybe make it even bigger, and make all the process just take a really long time. So someone got caught in the thing's stomach. Maybe it functions similar to a ruminant, where there's a persistent gas bubble near the top that the animal belches up. If it's an aquatic ruminant, then you've got a fore-stomach with a gas pocket that doesn't get crushed, and a lower, liquid layer in it that is a fermenting mess of congealed, edible-ish stuff.

>>44198245
Monstro was a sperm whale.

>>44198431
>>44198492
There's plenty of hand-waving to be done in making it work. But if your dungeon is gonna be based around something's interior anatomy, why wouldn't you start with its interior anatomy? I mean, handwave when you hit problems, but why not start out by thinking things through as far as you can, before you get to that point?
>>
>>44198552

Now that you pointed it out I had a mighty chuckle
>>
>>44198552

Its not an extra fin?
>>
>>44198560

Have the whale be infected by several parasite species that make rooms inside it. Keeps the interior from collapsing, they heal and eat the flesh, bones, etc. for materials. Colonies of plankton are maintained as o2 processors.

The whale attacks shipping lanes when compelled to by its masters, but also it is trying to kill itself to gain revenge.
>>
File: whale3.jpg (73KB, 454x214px) Image search: [Google]
whale3.jpg
73KB, 454x214px
>mfw realism
>>
>>44198560
>There's plenty of hand-waving to be done in making it work. But if your dungeon is gonna be based around something's interior anatomy, why wouldn't you start with its interior anatomy? I mean, handwave when you hit problems, but why not start out by thinking things through as far as you can, before you get to that point?
I'm not saying don't have crushing or digestion hazards, I'm just saying don't have the whole dungeon like that, unless the PCs could be expected to have (or quickly find) something that'll let them survive just standing in the dungeon

So I'd say either have the "normal" digestion effects be weak enough that it won't deal more than one damage an hour/day with more heavily damaging "rooms"/areas scattered throughout, simply handwaive the fact that the whole dungeon would be very difficult to survive in, or have the party have or quickly have something that makes the damage from that irrelevant

Also, while I do think going off of standard anatomy is a good idea, sticking to it very strictly would make the "dungeon" awfully linear, not that it's a bad thing, just that it cuts down on options
>>
>>44198560
>starts spurging out about correct anatomy for a fantasy dungeon sized creature
>posts a picture with internally exposed ribs and no organs
>>
>>44198560
Me >>44198972 again,
My complaints can pretty much be summed up by >>44198941, I'm not saying go completely unrealistic, I'm just saying try to make fun/interesting dungeon set inside a stomach with encounters/hazards based off of the dangers thereof (acid, crushing, parasites, it's previous meals, ect) rather than simulating what it would be like to be in a stomach exactly (constant crushing and acid damage every round as the party suffocates)

>>44198941
>>44199033
Instead of just complaining, how about some suggestions?
I sorta like the idea of one or two encounters with things like acid "elementals", reanimated skeletons it ate but managed to survive in there because lol undead in addition to the standard parasites and rooms that try to crush/digest you
>>
>>44198972
What if it's big enough that the upper stomach is the entire dungeon? You're not the first things inside--there are entire pieces of half-crushed sailing ships swallowed in halves. Monsters galore lurking in the fermenting mass at the bottom of its fore-stomach. Something shifting and with a lotta the traps of enzymes and contracting muscles that would make it cool, but that still makes some basic, face-value sense for long enough to suspend disbelief.

>>44199033
You're a retard.
>>
>>44199118
>Instead of just complaining, how about some suggestions?
OK. First off, what are the PCs doing for lights? Are they burning torches inside this thing, or is there bioluminescent bacteria everywhere? Are there glowing crystals embedded in its stomach lining from the time it ate an airship? If it's totally dark, the players are going to miss out on a lot of cool details.
>>
>>44199130
>What if it's big enough that the upper stomach is the entire dungeon? You're not the first things inside--there are entire pieces of half-crushed sailing ships swallowed in halves. Monsters galore lurking in the fermenting mass at the bottom of its fore-stomach. Something shifting and with a lotta the traps of enzymes and contracting muscles that would make it cool, but that still makes some basic, face-value sense for long enough to suspend disbelief.
That would work, would make a good ship's graveyard type feel so you could throw plenty of undead in there too.

Though personally I'd like some degree of multi-chambered stomach/rooms, but that may just be because something like the set up with Lord Jabu-Jabu doesn't break suspension of disbelief for me

Depending no how big the fish/whale/whatever is I'd either go with your ship's graveyard in the stomach idea, or just have different chambers of the maze-like stomach have different levels of legality, in some (most actually) the damage from acid/crushing would be negligible (though they may want to avoid pools of acid or things that might make that chamber more active) while others they REALLY don't want to stay in there for any long amount of time

>>44199304
Torches/fire would have it's own complications which could be interesting, though depending on the level they may have magical sources of light.
I do like the bioluminescent bacteria idea though
>>
File: Tummy Dungeon.png (114KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
Tummy Dungeon.png
114KB, 600x516px
>>44199363
This is basically how I'd picture such a dungeon to look.

There is certainly a gray area between realistic and nonsense--it's where fantasy lives. But taking it through the digestive tract seems way too silly. It worked in bonk's adventure because you broke poo blocks with your head, and that's funny. Not sure how you could do a dungeon around it.
>>
>>44199567
>Not sure how you could do a dungeon around it.
I keep going back to Legend of Zelda but that's just cause Jabu-Jabu was a good example

But the big question is Why are they in there?
If it's something like "FUUUUCK HUUUGE fish ate our boat", then your pic is pretty much what I'd expect, if they knowingly go in there like in LoZ, then Jabu-Jabu style is what I'd expect
>>
>>44199609
Never played whichever zelda game that is.
>>
Is that fish licking his nuts? L-Lewd!
>>
File: credit.jpg (157KB, 520x800px) Image search: [Google]
credit.jpg
157KB, 520x800px
>>44197909
A lot of people are bashing you because "lol muh fantasy," but I just want to let you know that I'm impressed with your efforts to make this an internally consistent adventure derived from realism. You are a quality poster.
>>
>>44199647
Ocarina of time
Third Dungeon is set inside a giant whale/fish god thing because it got infested by a parasite/ate the zora princess
>>
>>44199647
Ocarina of time, you should it's fun
2nd best Zelda game I'd say behind Majora's Mask
One of the dungeons is inside a whale
>>
>>44199720
Thanks. I like fantasy, but the details are what make things come to life, and they won't sell it if they don't make sense.

>>44199773
I can still see that working just fine. The creases of the stomach are your land areas. They'd be much higher up than the rest of the stomach and not entirely stable, but maybe the creases squeeze together and enzymes come up, creating a deadly tide on the shore of the thing. Sphincters as doorways between that are basically giant traps to get through.
>>
File: Untitled.png (199KB, 522x332px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
199KB, 522x332px
>>44199923
Pic related is the part I was referring to. That main in the top-left being the entrance from the previous sphincter, where the first stomach pours through a cascade of crush mass. Then the creases are these other little cliffs, with the enzymes half-filling it. It'd be where a lot of liquids get absorbed in the folds of something analogous to an omasum.
>>
Make the whale a powerful undead or servant of one who uses it as a pirate ship from hell. Complete with ship graveyard full of undead, monsters from the abyss, and maybe a cabin boy hiding in a sealed up galley cabinet with food and water.
>>
I wanted to do one like this where the "whale" was a more mundane fish that ate a powerful necromantic artifact centuries ago that gave it impossibly long life from exposure centuries ago. In time it grew and grew into a ship eating sea monster.

The vessels it eats make a junkyard of terrain and some of the people who made their way into the beasts belly are affected similarly by exposure to the artifact and refuse to die from lack of food, old age, etc. The outer areas farther from the source have people In miserable half-life, convinced they are in hell or purgatory of sorts, and those further in have gone mad, clinging to base survival instincts or flash memories of a life of piracy.
>>
>>44199923
>>44200121
>>44199773
>>44199609
>>44199363
What if the beast's stomach was just a holding area. There could be some sort of creatures living in it that harvest the fish it swallows and brings them to the intestines to be digested. Like a symbiotic relationship.
I assume that the would eat a fraction of the fish.
Also they could be not too picky about what they harvest. Fish, squid, whales, stranded sailors, it doesn't matter to the great Leviathan.
>>
File: Zaratan.jpg (155KB, 1200x744px) Image search: [Google]
Zaratan.jpg
155KB, 1200x744px
Alternatively to the whale or fish, could go with the Zaratan, the turtle that's a floating island. It certainly provides plenty of space at least!
>>
>>44202533
That could work, though I'd imagine the monster used would be more or less one of a kind
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.