[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's a race that has been "subverted" and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (106KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 1106x1012px
>it's a race that has been "subverted" and changed from its usual characteristics for the sole sake of subverting it
>>
>>44183385
>it's a frogpost with a single line of greentext
>>
File: BIG SCARY AND PINK.jpg (7KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
BIG SCARY AND PINK.jpg
7KB, 200x150px
ITS AN ALASKAN BULL WORM!
>>
>>44183385
Why must you frogpost. Recycling old threads just to post your frog? It's weird. Like you have whacked-out poo brains weird.
>>
File: Roger.jpg (497KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Roger.jpg
497KB, 1280x1280px
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
>>
>>44183385
My orcs are orcs.
They've always been orcs.
They fucking hate elves, they love battle, they hate arcane magic, they're patriarchal.
They have a home, however, and that means that they finally got what Gruumsh was pushing for the whole time.
You try and take their land? You try to mess with them? They'll fuck you up without hesitation.
But they're not going to risk their home by declaring war unless they need to. The land they have now provides all they need.
Given the opportunity, they will kill elves without relent unless it would make things worse.
>>
File: 1412974688906.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
1412974688906.png
108KB, 400x381px
>well MY dwarves are actually 9 tailed japanese foxes with the power to become beautiful women and play tricks
>well MY vampires are psychic vegetarian corgis from venus with wings
>>
File: Fonzie.jpg (20KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Fonzie.jpg
20KB, 240x320px
>>44183433
>>44183472
Top kek
>>
Is there even any actual setting that SO changes a race that the name shouldn't apply? I feel like its usually either "same physical structure, different environment" or "occupies same niche but in a different way"
>>
>>44183396
>>44183460
"Hey, what are your thoughts on subverting races?"

Happy now?
>>
>>44183536
>My orcs are orcs.
Same. Except that they're also Goblins, Hobgoblins, Dwarves, and Dark Elves amongst other things.

Their species just has a variety of different cultures and social roles, which are often mistakenly identified as entirely separate races. Their appearance isn't any more varied than that of humans or anything, it's just that people don't see them up close all too often. They mostly just hear stories of interactions with them, and that makes them sound quite different.

Of course, a tribe of nomadic barbarians should be expected to behave differently from a regimented military unit, just as the both of them would seem quite distinct from a bunch of craftsmen and merchants. Neither of which should be too comparable to a bunch of scheming politicians and fanatical priestesses presiding over underground cities.

All of them sound quite distinct, but the truth of the matter is that they're all the same guys in different societies or social roles. I just like having a lower number of species in my setting, but ones who are sufficiently flexible to fill all of the relevant roles.
>>
>>44183706
Warcraft with orcs
>>
>>44184063
I think it's a good change to an otherwise boring setting
>>
>>44183706
>>44184380

To be fair, Warcraft Orcs have carved out a niche for themselves to contrast from Tolkien Orks.
>>
>>44184512
Aren't Tolkien orcs just elves corrupted by Sauron?
>>
>>44184380
Eh, I feel like at the point green orks had become a regular staple enough that warcraft orks fit the "same physical structure, different niche"
>>
>it's a ______
DROPPED
>>
>>44184388
If a setting is boring with the standard races, it's also going to be boring with the standard races but WITH A TWEEST.

For that matter, even some completely strange never-before-seen race would probably become pretty boring after a session or two without a good DM at the helm.

The vast majority of how interesting something is comes from how it's played (or written, or acted, or whatever) and not from what it is.

tl;dr subverting tropes or coming up with something new isn't the path to making something or someone interesting, it's playing them well.
>>
>make greentext thread complaining about subversion of races
>on a board filled with greentext threads complaining about races staying the same
>>
File: MFW_Bonzo.jpg (33KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
MFW_Bonzo.jpg
33KB, 250x250px
Omg hai ^___^ I'm Ai-san and I absolutely luuuv @_____@ traditional
gaems <3 and my fav is WH40K!!! Okies so anyways, im going to tell you
about the BEST day of my life when I met my hot husband the emperor!!
<333333333 OMFGZ HE WAS SOOOOO FREAKIN KAWAII IN PERSON!!! Supa kawaii
desu!!!!!!!! ^______________________________________^ When I walked
into the Golden throne =^____^=I looked up and saw THE
EMPEROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333!!!!
"KONNICHIWA OMGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ SUPA SUPA SUPA KAWAII EMPEROR-
SAMA!!!!!‚" I yelled n____n then he turned chibi then un-chibi!! he
looked at me [O.O;;;;;;;;;;;] and then he saw how hot I am *___* he
grabbed my hand and winked ~_^ then pulled me behind the throne o_o and
started to kiss me!!!!!! [OMG!!! HIS TOUNGE TASTED LIKE A ROTTING
CORPSE!!! RLY!! >.> <.< >.< *(^O^)* *(^O^)* *(^O^)*] then I saw some
baka fa/tg/irl watching us and I could tell she was undressing him with
her eyes!!!!!!! [ -_____________-;;;;; OMG I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT
EITHER!!! (ò_ó) (ò_ó) (ò_ó)] so I yelled, "UH UH BAKA NEKO
THAT'S MY MAN WHY DON'T YOU GO HOOK UP WITH NURGLE CAUSE EMPEROR-
SAMA LOVES ME!!! (ò_ó)" then the emperor held me close =^____^= and
said he would only ever love me and kissed me again!!!!!!! ** (*O*)/
then we went to his apartment and banged all night long and made 42
babies and they all became space marines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nyaaaaa!!!*(^O^)* *(^O^)* *(^O^)* (^o^)(^o^)(^o^)
>>
>>44186171
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>44183563
>Now that I've told you my super amazing idea please tell me how wonderful and creative I am
>Only I have the foresight to understand the cultural significance of a vegetarian corgi from venus
>You fucks probably haven't even seen Bleacg
>>
>>44184388
That is no better than the morons who think their characters will be more interesting if they play a snowflake race.
>>
File: 1420108816098.jpg (503KB, 1422x979px) Image search: [Google]
1420108816098.jpg
503KB, 1422x979px
>>44185067
>Same physical structure

They do not even slightly resemble Tolkien orcs. Which varied from stooped ape like goblins to man sized tough guys. And were mostly black, grey, brown and sickly greens. Not bright green upright gorilla men.
>>
Now I want to refluff Bullywug as a race of literal Pepes. Shamans are the rarest of Pepes.

>reminder that in 4e killing a bullywug heals you because the world feels better without them
>>
>>44186356
"You guys are all playing super special snowflake races to try and stand out from the group! Fucking idiots! I'll show you, I'll play a human fighter and stand out from the group!"
>>
>>44185228
When I change a race in a world I'm making for me to DM in I do it because I think they are boring. Please tell me how should I play/write/act/etc. something well if I find it boring as shit.
>>
>>44186649
then just dont use the race and make a new race
>>
>>44186972
Sometimes I do. Sometimes I change boring races. Deal with it, faggot.
>>
>>44186373
And I'm saying that by the time warcraft was a thing, bright green orcs had ALREADY usurped tolkein orcs as the "normal" physical structure of orks, so warcraft orcs did not diverge from the norm in appearance, only in behavipr
>>
>>44187013
i would say that more then any other race its ok to change how your orcs work in terms of behavior
>>
>>44184879
Yup
>>
>>44187113
I don't disagree, but at the same time if you're changing both look AND behavior might as well come up with a new name, which if you hold to tolkein still being the "standard" at the time warcraft did. Tolkein's look WASN'T the standard anymore though, so warcraft gets a pass
>>
>>44183385
>I want to make a people where Things X, Y, and Z are a thing.
>I kinda feel like my setting could use some exotic race, but I don't feel like making it too extreme.
>I know, I'll basically do this and this to make them similar to humans, but have characteristics that complement their culture and lifestyle
>Hey, these are basically elves, but X and Y are different and the culture isn't quite the norm for elves in fantasy
>If I call them something else people will just call them elves anyway since it's easier than remembering a new name
>Alright, guess my elves are different than traditional elves

I do this, and then people like you show up. I try and play the traditional roles of the races, and the same faggots complain about cliches. I ditch race altogether and make a human-only game where people just have different cultures and shit? Same people come back complaining that there's not enough variety.

Fuck you guys, I'm gonna do what I want.
>>
>>44184063
Yes. Continue developing your ability to type like a mature adult human, and you'll go places anon.
>>
File: Urkel[1].jpg (172KB, 700x465px) Image search: [Google]
Urkel[1].jpg
172KB, 700x465px
>>44183385
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterstereotype
>>
>>44183385
>It's a race that is being played straight to the stereotype, right down to the fucking letter.

I don't have any pictures of projectile vomiting.
>>
>the subversion subverts the already subverted modern version of concept to the point of being similar to the version that popularised the concept

Happens way too often on /tg/.
>>
>>44186569
I do this all the time but without the spite attached, I mean if we ALL go for the crazy races then it's just less interesting. That's what I think.
>>
File: part1_Dio.jpg (107KB, 400x597px) Image search: [Google]
part1_Dio.jpg
107KB, 400x597px
>>44183433
>>44183472
It's me, Dio!
>>
>>44183472
>THIS neighborhood
>>
>>44183433
>>44183472
/tg/ actually managed to make a frogpost greentext thread enjoyable.
>>
>>44185079
>dropping anything that exists

You must have a hard time enjoying things.
>>
>>44187763
I hope you don't consider yourself a mature adult human if you get upset over an image of a cartoon frog.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.