[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would I go about creating a War Boy inspired character without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: WITNESS MORSOV.gif (4MB, 650x269px) Image search: [Google]
WITNESS MORSOV.gif
4MB, 650x269px
How would I go about creating a War Boy inspired character without dying at first level? A cultist beserker that wishes to please his God through combat.
>>
Well, first of all, I'd pick a system. Hard to create a character without a system in mind.
>>
>>44166880
By being a Barbarian?

Since thats basically what they are.
>>
>>44166880
His death meant nothing when the other guy hurled the explosive spear anyway.
>>
>>44166937
The cars have shown to take several poles without stopping. He leaped into the open driver's seat. Also, he had a bolt through his head. Wasn't going to live anyway.
>>
>>44166937
The death is symbolic, man.

Basically, he's already dead and he knows it, so he specifically goes out in a flashy way designed to impress.

It equates to Viking culture: They want to die in battle because that ensures that they get to enter the afterlife.
>>
>doesn't want to be witnessed as soon as the opportunity arises

You're not getting into Valhalla with that kind of attitude, anon.
>>
>>44166937
Don't you side with Slit, guy was a grade-A douchebag.
>>
Slit is a dirty killstealer and will not ride eternally, shiny and chrome
>>
>>44166880
Rogue trader
Play an ork
>>
>>44166964
At level 1, you're fighting rats and kobolds. That is not a glorious death. You at least have to survive long enough to go out in a blaze of glory fighting a monster strong enough to be worth the effort.

And before someone says to bum-rush a great wyrm while you're still level one, dying because a dragon didn't even notice you were there and stepped on you is not a glorious death, either.
>>
>>44166997
Actually, it sort of is, depending on the culture.

The point isn't to kill whatever it is you're fighting, or to even be able to. The point is to go out big.

Challenging a Dragon when you're just a weakling is going out big.
>>
>>44166959
>he's already dead and he knows it

This. A huge part of Warboy 'culture' in the movie was based around that they were half-lives, cancerous mutants that were destined to get sick, fill up with tumors and die painfully with a life expectancy of less than half that of a pure human. That's why there's a sort of innocent quality to their mayhem, there are no old Warboys. There never will be.
It's because of this they had no qualms about dying in combat, they were already dead and only riding to Valhalla as a martyr can save them from their fate.

That's the kind of mindset that you have to emulate OP
>>
>>44166977
I wish i would find a RT group. Never played it.

And i doubt a GM would let me play an Ork.
>>
http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/War_Boys
>>
>>44167006
>Challenging a Dragon when you're just a weakling is going out big.

It's not, though. It's going out almost instantly, with no fanfare at all. You can't call it "going out big" just because you were instantly vaporized by something that happens to be big. I don't care what culture you're from, if you die without putting up a good fight, it was not a glorious death.
>>
>>44167120
Yeah Warboys are supposed to take out as many enemies and vehicles as they can when they sacrifice themselves, not just get stepped on. The proper Warboy way is if you died by throwing yourself into a dragon's mouth so you could ram an explosive spear up through its soft mouth tissue and into its brain.
>>
>>44167011
>there are no old Warboys.

Furiosa's right hand man, the one that calls her Boss in the beginning, is in his 40s at least.
>>
>>44167213
He's an at least an imperator though, he relays orders directly from Joe.
>>
>>44167027
There are actual rules for playing an ork in a Rogue Trader crew. And there are precedents of that. It's even possible to play a Tau.
>>
>>44166880
Reckless swing all time. High damage potential with a guaranteed self damage. Would be actually quite fun to play.

Other than that - some combat drugs depending on a setting.
There was this thang in DnD when a raging berserker could go an extra turn after getting negative HP. That applies well
Also think of an agility fighter rather than a strength one
>>
>>44167265
i know i know ,but ..i couldn't take my own character seriously. An ork on a imperial ship?

A tau ambassador. Okay. Eldar. Sure.

But Necron and Orks are.. well they may be fun for a wacky story, but i'm not sure how to implement them.
>>
>>44167259
He is a Half Life though, so make of that what you will.
>>
>>44167027
>>44167265

There's rules to play Dark Eldar.
>>
>>44167301
some DE adrenalin junky is another thing i could understand.

Maybe one day i find some idiots to play a Freeboota campaign.
>>
>>44167011
>>44167120

Actually if I can add to the whole "glorious death" trope I'd say the Warboy character would be quite close to a Troll Slayer from Warhammer Fantasy. While the Slayer wants to erase his sins dying in a glorious combat, the Warboy throws aside the bleakness of his existence and perdorms some amazingly showy and reckless feat in combat to get witnessed so he can ride eternal in the afterlife.
So the point I am making is that there must be some actual combat involved. Warboys were both cannon fodder and bo cannon fodder. While they were happy to throw themselves into an easy death in combat for Joes whim, they were better trained and armed than possibly 90% of wastelanders.
So probably they would be happy to doe fighting something big, even against terrible odds, given that there is a chance of victory. Challenging a dragon would be as glorious as challenging the gravity jumping off a bridge.
Literally the best way to play those guys is to make at least a few generic backup guys and play the one that actually fares through level one.
>>
>>44166880
how to not die at level one

Simple, have your character have a notion that his death must be Glorious and remembered for all time. But always obsess over your death so your party will be like
"Grox, theres a guard, run over and grab your glory"
and you'll be like
"I will not be remembered I will not walk the halls of Valhalla!"

Base each encounter with the mindset of " How can I die here and it be awesome and remembered?
Ask yourself, If I die to this gargantuan creature, will anyone know I existed? Will they know I died?
Find an audience to die in front of, preferably saving them.

Make your character lovable in their niavitey and goal orientedness that they want to have you around because they see you as a lovable bafoon, so that when you really to go, they miss you.

So be Nux, pretty much just be Nux
>>
>>44167390
i like this idea.

everything that isnt a HUEG overmonster isn't worth dying to.

And don't forget to beat up the cleric/healer for preventing a "good" Death.
>>
>>44167279
Orks are often used as mercenaries, even by Inquisition and Imperial Guard, and they are often independent pirates. The Trader just hired an ork and promised it a big flashy dakka in the end, maybe.
>>
>>44167296
He was the local equivalent of Bjorn the Barbarian.
>>
>>44166880
Pick a reasonably lethal system to play him in, for starters.

"I am fearless and will die in battle because valhalla and stuff" becomes really retarded in D&D type games where you're all superheroes with swords anyway.
>>
>>44167834
Yeah but in D&D Valhalla is an actual place
>>
>>44167011
Ace, the one with goggles on the warrig, was up there. Looked and sounded like late 30s to mid 40s.
>>
>>44166880

My current 5th ed Barbarian is basically this, except with more glamour and less punk.

Basically you play it like any other character, but when you get that one situation where fighting will only end in death, but in glorious, glorious death, like fighting off a horde of orcs or whatever atop a mountaintop in a blizzard while it's also storming and lightning bolts are striking all over and you need to cover your allies' retreat, then you bust out that WITNESS ME!
>>
>>44166937
Fuck off Slit
>>
>>44166959
>It equates to Viking culture: They want to die in battle because that ensures that they get to enter the afterlife.

Amusingly, in real life not all Norse pagan cultures actually believed this.
Most of what we know about Norse myth was written in the Sagas, which were written centuries AFTER the Danes and other Nordic cultures had converted to early Christian beliefs and are full of lots of suppositions and half-remembered stuff that they probably got wrong.
Fun example; most Nordic culture texts that believed in Valhalla also believed in another paradise after death, one that Freyja ruled called "Folkvangr". Apparently she gets the "other half of the dead", and you get into Folkvangr not by dying in battle but just by...well, dying regularly.

And then some Nordic cultures worshipped Odin but didn't believe in other gods, or Thor but didn't believe in Odin; since there was no "Church of Asgard" to unify everyone's beliefs they varied wildly by region and Norse culture group (Jutes, Gaets, Danes, Northern Germanic tribes, etc) and most never bothered on writing the details down.
>>
>>44167456
>Orks are often used as mercenaries

See, in the old fluff- with Blood Axes- you can say this. Newer fluff, which makes Ork spores lethal for a world's ork-free future, doesn't support Orks doing merc work. Kroot yes but even then, the Imperium is so antixenos now that orgyrns and ratlings are probably the weirdest you're going to get generally.
>>
>>44168846
RT is old fluff anyway. Inquisitors called Sherlock Marple and beakymarines errywhere.
>>
>>44168833
And while Oden's collecting worthy warriors for Valhalla, he doesn't always seem to care all that much about how they died. It wasn't a matter of divine law, simply who he thought was worthy, for whatever reason. In at least one case he got impatient and just plain murdered the guy.
>>
>>44168846
Even assuming the new spore fluff is true, that knowledge wouldn't be widely spread beyond the generic "beware the Xeno" stuff.
>>
>>44168896
Get in the FUCKING BAG, DIPSHIT.

Yeah yeah boo hoo, "I can't be dead", you're going in the bag you little shit.
>>
>>44166937

Slit plz go
>>
>>44168896
It matters more what great deeds were done in life rather than how they died. If the warrior is great and favoured, he might even have a nothing sort of death, just so Odin can get him in the bag while he's peak badass.
>>
>>44167259
Furiosa was an Imperator. The retarded mutant riding with her was not. He was just a ranking Warboy.
>>
>>44167213
Ace
>>
File: 1428203114773.gif (3MB, 240x135px) Image search: [Google]
1428203114773.gif
3MB, 240x135px
>>44167006
>Not knowing the most glorious death takes your enemy with you.
>>
>>44167390
That's why Nux was such a good character. He was a child that gave his all for a cult. When he thought that the Immortan and Valhalla have forsaken him, he starts to see that maybe there are other ways to living. It's important to remember that there's no public education at all, so he grew up knowing so little about the world. Just what was fed to him. To live and die on the Fury Road.

I wish his death was done better. You could see it coming a mile away. The CGI exploding and flying guitar/wheel looked so bad.
>>
>>44172753

The saddest thing is the guitar and the wheel weren't CGI, just recorded with a high-speed camera before a greenscreen- nevertheless the end result looked ridiculous.
>>
>>44172803
One of the funniest things about Mad Max is that nearly all the crazy shit you think is CGI isn't, but nearly all the shit you'd think they filmed on location is CGI.
>>
THIS IS THE BEST SCENE IN THE MOVIE AND IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE YOU DO NOT RIDE ETERNAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxhj3Rs6_hs
>>
>>44167426
>getting pissed at the Cleric for healing your earned wounds
Gold.
Although mechanically you would die early. Hard to balance the ideal with just running out of HP.
>>
>>44167213
And he is shown with visible growths on his body, unable to fight a one-armed woman with a hand on the steering wheel.

(Granted, she's Furiosa, but still)
>>
>>44167279
More advanced Necrons have their own personalities and motivations. An Immortal who's tomb was destroyed. Hitches a ride with a rogue trader.
>>
>this thread
>>
The problem with War Boys is that they're very juvenile. They care more about a glorious death than winning. It works for the film as death fodder, but in a game where your character is supposed to survive the entire campaign, not so much.

Might be able to create a believe about romanticizing conflict. Not just combat, but also the fight of being skilled in any field. To earn the right to be a warrior, whether it be on the battlefield or in court. That would be more long-term.
>>
>>44166880
Fight smart, fight cunning, but fight. Fight for the glory of your god, for what you believe is right, and for your brothers in arms, for your future ends on the field of battle where theirs may not. When a foe finally strikes you low, be not sad, but happy, and do your best to surf the sons of bitches who you face to the gates of the afterlife. But though you fight, always remember your causes, remember why, and if it is to keep others safe, be willing to pass up a conflict to see them away if need be. Maybe as rearguard so if anything gets even close to your crew you can murder the shit outta them, and they possibly you, but hey, sometimes the best way to go out is holding off a swarm of fiends while allies get your charges away.
>>
>>44166880
Play as Obama, strong ,smart, with a calm voice and high charisma.Never be too afraid to run.Your god is LOKI
>>
>>44166880
Depending on what aspects you want, you might even worship death itself, seeing a grand death as a way to be greeted as an equal, and trying to treat foes displaying courage to a glorious death which shall be sung about by their kinsman as a call for courage, to look death in the eye and not waver. And then, when your foes lay dead, you are off again, fighting until the day you see your god in person rather than be their instrument.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.