[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any professional tabletop RPG systems have a Digimon conversion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

File: gaaay.png (254KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gaaay.png
254KB, 500x375px
Do any professional tabletop RPG systems have a Digimon conversion?
Yes, I know there's a /tg/ homebrew floating around. I have it. Not impressed.
Yes, I know a lot of generic systems can handle Digimon with enough work. I'm asking if someone has already written down how to do that.
>>
File: 1423607017783.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1423607017783.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
>professional
>not homebrew
>not using generic rules

Basically... you're asking if Saban/Baidai/whoever owns the rights to Digimon has published an official game? The answer is no. If they had, it would be called "Digimon: The Official RPG" (or something like that) and be really easy to at least find, like, a wikipedia article about it or something.

I don't know if tabletop RPG's are very popular in Japan but my assumption is that they are not. Although, isn't there an anime that's literally based on DnD 3.5, right down to quoting/citing game rules as part of the universe's "rules" sorta like Order of the Stick? Maybe there is potential for this.

Quick, somebody who speaks Japanese, get them to make one!
>>
Okay I know this has been suggested before but seriously?

Monsters and other Childish things

It's literally a game about forming friendships with monsters and having them interfere with your life and loved ones. It makes a great Tamers game.
>>
Some people recently updated the /tg/ homebrew so it isn't as shitty

Book: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwgTPexfebTbTkZNZlRhbFN0b3M/view
Tumblr:
http://digimon-digital-adventures.tumblr.com/
>>
>>44165724
Book for the lazy
>>
Took your time.
>>
>>44165663
No, I'm asking if there is a fan-made conversion for an existing system such as Burning Wheel or Savage Worlds, as opposed to a totally homebrew system.
But after seeing this >>44165754 an hour ago, I probably don't need to ask anymore.

>>44165690
You know, I've actually heard of that one. Can it handle evolution? I don't want a system that craps itself when I go over the default power level.
>>
File: 1423537383994.png (55KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1423537383994.png
55KB, 500x400px
>>44165724
>>44165754
Level with me here. Is this actually something you would sit down and play with your friends? How about if they're not even into Digimon - would you try to sell them on it?
>>
>>44165827

>Can it handle evolution?

GOOD QUESTION!

It doesn't have "evolution" in the rules per-se but how I'd handle it is like so:

Your monster "hides" by shrinking down into their small rookie form where you can easily stuff them into a closet or under a bed or what have you.

They have usual monster stats when they're Champion.

Since in Digimon the moment your mon can go into Champion form that's basically their new super saiyan form they can activate whenever this isn't too out of theme for the show.

If you wanna go into ultimate and beyond I'd suggest having a list of changes to parts for your monster. Give them these when it's suitable for them to digivolve beyond champion.
>>
>>44165829
Honestly I can't say, haven't had a chance to play ttRPGs with people who aren't too familiar.

This game is pretty roleplay heavy so if people like making characters it should be fine. You basically play two characters at once (Human and Digimon) so that could be a bit difficult depending on the medium you're playing with.
>>
>>44165878

If you really wanna have granularity between your different digivolutions how I'd handle it is by having PC's start out with "two" monsters a rookie and a champion.

Rookies are built with... lets say about 20 dice and Champions are built with 50 which is standard monster. Since Rookies are suppose to be small (relatively) anyway it's fine for them to have wider arrays of hit locations.

Ultimates I'd suggest building with about 60 or 70 dice and Megas can probably have up to 90.

That's a LOT of dice but keep in mind at most you'll be rolling 10 of them on any given action. In terms of balance you run the risk of it getting wonky since Armor 5 is like, invulnerable to a rookie but to a Mega it could be erring on standard.

The important thing to remember for balancing is that Armor and Weapon values (which IIRC is called Gnarly in the game, weapon value anyway) add and subtract damage statically so if you wanna scale properly I'd say have monsters automatically allocate dice to certain Armor/Weapon values at certain levels.

This would effectively make an ultimate invincible against a rookie but that's not too out of line with the show.
>>
>>44165948

If you're unfamiliar with ORE lemme put it like this:

All "successes" are at 2. Getting 3 is tricky but simple enough if you're rolling more than 7 dice. Getting 4 you'd probably need to be lucky and have some special ability that lets you get an additional success automatically and getting 5 is next to impossible most of the time.
>>
File: 1408596371589.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1408596371589.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>44165898
Basically controlling two characters at once sounds like it would be a goddamn mess. Even if my group was into Digimon, they can't even remember their own familairs/animal companions/special mounts/cohorts exist half the time, let alone have it be an actual character that's supposed to have a personality and shit too.
>>
>>44165995

In this instance I would say a Digimon game is just not for you or your group.
>>
File: 1342749474915.jpg (60KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1342749474915.jpg
60KB, 480x360px
>>44166022
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the game or the idea of the game. It's totally my group. I just assume that that my group is probably fairly typical and other groups would have similar problems. How many wizards have you played with who had a friend/sidekick/whatever character and said character was actually remembered, and came up regularly?
>>
>>44166093

Well in my Mage: The Awakening game my character's familiar was actually our team mascot and he was beloved.

But then we only had one.
>>
>>44166133
Did the players control it, or did the storyteller?
>>
>>44166157

I controlled him sometimes, other times the GM did. Really we all sort of had a hand since his personality was pretty basic and fun.
>>
>>44165995
It isn't so bad since you'll be forced to use one for combat and the other for out of combat stuff. You can't really just forget about your partner since they're pretty critical to doing anything in the game.
>>
File: 47c.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
47c.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>44166189
Sounds fun. Doesn't sound like it'd remotely work for Digimon though.
>>
Wouldn't Frontier work best in RPG form?
>>
>>44161424
Big Eyes, Small Mouths has everything you need for it without having to do any work. I mean, it even has a template already given to you for "Monster Tamer" to create your Digimon with.
>>
>>44166563
Oh, and it has a transformation ability you can attach that would handle Digivolving up and down just fine, since that seems to be a concern of yours.
>>
>>44165754
This seems nice.
>>
File: 0db900f285a1.jpg (38KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
0db900f285a1.jpg
38KB, 500x342px
>>44161424

Oh god, is THAT how fucking Digimon was animated??!

I want to slap 10-year old me across the face.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.