[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Animal people or beastfolk; while an extremely contentious topic,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 14

File: Wizard rabbitfolk.png (208KB, 795x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard rabbitfolk.png
208KB, 795x1040px
Animal people or beastfolk; while an extremely contentious topic, I feel,are a classic part of fantasy and not something to be simply discarded for internet memes.

However if one is to use them in their settings; how best to do it? How best to justify their existence with the presence of other animals of the same type as them? Are regular rabbits, for example, a type of degenerated rabbit folk, a cousin, or an entirely different species?
>>
>>44038254
that exact question is one I do my best to never have to answer.
If a PC or player asked it, there would be a random encounter.
>>
>>44038254
>Are regular rabbits, for example, a type of degenerated rabbit folk, a cousin, or an entirely different species?

They see their "Counter parts" how Humans see monkeys. They can see the origins, but are clearly different. Generally human's talking about how we were monkeys doesn't come up in everyday conversation, so neither should this.
>>
>>44038254
The gods made the world with animals.

Then a trickster god stole thought/fire and scattered it into various animals. They became the beastfolk. Can explain the humanoid races, or not and they can be a deliberate creation by the other gods before or after the trickster beatfolk god/spirit(s)
>>
File: good bun.png (425KB, 422x810px) Image search: [Google]
good bun.png
425KB, 422x810px
>>44038293
I like that. But I'm a sucker for the whole Promethean creation story in general.
>>
I've been thinking about how to make a nation of monkey-men/simians

Maybe a society of men that live in the jungle, and their God gave them a boon that made them closer nature.

Or the survivors of an apocalypse.
>>
>>44038363

I actually like them too and did something similar.

Monkey men are, in many ways, humans who never left the jungle. Humans are ash people- changed by a God of fire and magma, the volcano God that is the world.

Not exactly super original, but there.
>>
>>44038399

That does sound good.

I'd put in a caste system. Like Orangutan leaders, and Ape Soldiers.
>>
>>44038254
You can do the Wakfu thing and have people whose souls are aligned to specific gods begin to resemble that god's sacred animal.

Or the beastfolk can be the results of uplifting experiments someone did before they opted for baking Men out of clay.
>>
File: Dr. Zaius.jpg (39KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Zaius.jpg
39KB, 250x333px
>>44038459
>>
>>44038254
I'm biased due to being a giant furfag, but one of my favorite ways to explain them is branching evolution, like humans/apes, basically what >>44038279 said.
Realistically, any excuse is good, so long as there's a thought out reason for their sentience at the very least.

Shame really, one of my best friends and DMs is super buttmad over anything that might be considered furry so playing with him means you have to play human or he hunts you down before you get to level 2.
Doesn't even let anyone play druid.
>>
>>44038518

Most people these days haven't seen the original movie, let alone the sequels.
>>
>>44038642
Imagine the day when famous works are so obscure, savvy DM's will be mining them for plots.

>Man, your game about rabbits took a hardcore turn. I can't decide which is better: that one or the one with the rats and the farm field. How do you do it, anon?

I think you're being uncharitable, anon. It might not be watched in the mainstream anymore, but it and other classics will probably always been known and watched. Barring some actual Planet of the Apes catastrophe.
>>
>>44038464

Beastfolk can also be the experiments of ancient wizards for any manner of reasons, from soldiers, to cheap labor, or even some lonely wizard who wanted to inflict his magical realm on everyone else.
>>
>>44038254
I kind of like the idea of a wizard/scientist magicing/sciencing some animals to have human levels of intelligence, and then them breeding true.
>>
Make your beastfolk one definitive race divided by looks. I have Ox Men who distrust Ravenfolk because of superstitions.

Just remember that it makes Lizardfolk part of that crowd, which sucks because Sauril are awesome.
>>
>>44038254
Pretty rare occurrence, at least in what I deem the "Generic Fantasy Area" of our campaign.

Although, I did just put my players through this:

>Some noble yahoo hires the party to clean out one of his cottages in the woods that his family uses as a summer-house.
>Reports of ROUS's from his staff, one of which died.
>Party finds the cottage, storms it.
>Inside is a family of Ratfolk (Father, Mother, two teens, and an infant)
>Even though the youngest son struck the party barbarian, they decided to let the group live, at the cost of the father's tail to show as proof of a job done.
>End up recruiting them to live on the parties ship as staff.

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

I assumed it was gonna be a massacre. Also, the mom's name is Frisby, because I'm a kid at heart.
>>
>>44038293
>The gods made the world with animals.
>Then a trickster god stole

-the best traits of all the animals and made humans.

A la the story about the animals and their gifts to the man.
>>
>>44038320
Is that Fargo bunny cop?
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 500x281px
>>44038254
whenever people ask me about the evolutional reasons for beastfolk :

1.spiritual fusion and resulting bodychanges
2.a god of "gdtjkiuoplkrt" did it
3.the naova (tailed "elfs") went drunk again
4.SHAMANS with identity problems
>>
Beastfolk also occur in classic and pulpy scifi as well-Star Wars, Wing Commander, Star Trek, Traveller, etc.

Outside of genetic modification, how do you justify them? Especially in franchises with Earth and aliens that look suspiciously like Earth ascended animals.
>>
>>44041736
>"we're the best at everything" HFY crap
Then a trickster god stole the scraps on the floor and made a race that was average in all abilities, but could breed with anything, so you'll never completely eliminate it.
Humans, go forth and yiff!
>>
File: 1aOoXoPh.jpg (96KB, 991x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1aOoXoPh.jpg
96KB, 991x1024px
I think it's important that there are only like one or two kinds of them in the setting, and that they are *not* based entirely on lame cutesy animal stereotypes. The Elder Scrolls games (well in morrowind at least) does a really good job of it.
>>
My homebrew has a fuckton of beastfolk and many different origins.

Dragonborn and kobolds share a creation myth and are in fact literally made as things to serve and worship the true dragons.

Minotaurs were a creation of a sea goddess and her lust for a primal spirit. (mixing up the tale of the minotaur and poseidon)

Gnolls don't know, or care, and nobody else does either, their gods seem to have spontaneously arisen upon the plains one day. Eventually they made mortal versions themselves.

Catfolk came about when a primal spirit of cats fell madly in love with a human goddess, their love giving rise to very human-like cat people. (think cat girls but with feline noses and short fur all over)

Lizardfolk are the tribal leftovers of a once proud warrior race that was created by ancient serpentfolk to serve as their armies. (a wizard did it basically)

Ratfolk are descendents of scientists that crashed landed upon the world thousands of years ago. They evolved naturally upon their homeworld.

Tengu dont tell anyone and neither do their gods.

Kitsune are a creation of a trickster fox goddess who saw an opportunity for more pranks and tricks, so she stole humanoid form from another god and gave it some of her foxes, and told them to spread mischief to the human lands. (they are fox people who can take a human form or a fox form, not weeaboo fox girls)

I love beastfolk races and I love giving them all kinds of different origins.
>>
File: minotaur.jpg (153KB, 620x493px) Image search: [Google]
minotaur.jpg
153KB, 620x493px
>>44043377
Is your setting creationist? If it is, you don't need to justify them since the god(s) just made them that way because reasons. If not, I believe they should be descended from magically altered humans in ancient or prehistoric times, be it from a god-imposed curse or a cabal of shamans turning their tribe into beast people to turn the tide on the dire beaver onslaught or whatever.

Even if the latter is true it doesn't necessarily mean the common peasant has ever heard of natural selection and might just assume they were created as they are from the beginning anyway.
>>
>>44043717
>cat girls with cat noses and short fur

hnnng
>>
File: the party.png (584KB, 1742x1118px) Image search: [Google]
the party.png
584KB, 1742x1118px
>>44038254
Guy who originally posted the rabbit wizard here, have a picture of him and the rest of the party.
>>
>>44043392
>but could breed with anything, so you'll never completely eliminate it.

Mmm yes, this is good. More.
>>
>>44038254
How is it at all a contentious topic? To the best of my knowledge, many do it and few complain about it.
>>
>>44044146

Thanks!

I was really a fan of the rabbit in particular, because the expression and class mix was really superb in my eyes, so its nice to have a bit more context.
>>
File: Monkey Man.png (411KB, 600x906px) Image search: [Google]
Monkey Man.png
411KB, 600x906px
>>44038459

I'm not a huge fan of copying off dominions that directly, though I do think it is fine.

Personally, my concept for the monkey men is thus;

Monkey men come in a few basic shapes and colors, with only slight differences noticeable between their ethnicities. They are also hideously racist towards each other.

You cannot be racist towards one of the elders though; a white furred Yogi is a spiritual leader and immune to this discrimination. It should be noted that the monkey men's fur turns white when they reach enlightenment, but this also happens with age.

The monkey people are tied closely to their age, and while there are a few who are very young and gain the white fur, most of them with white fur are old. However, some of the monkey people actually run around and act like young idiots for a very long time, decades in fact, and they seem just as spry as they were when they were younger. Enlightenment is tied to their age, and their age is tied to their enlightenment. They go hand in hand.

While also cliche, I was thinking that every race besides humans was created for a purpose, where as humans have a sort of freedom and no purpose they need to fulfill. A little tolkienesque.
>>
File: catfolk.jpg (558KB, 1000x748px) Image search: [Google]
catfolk.jpg
558KB, 1000x748px
>>44043800
Basically this but with more human-like feet.
>>
File: Charr_concept_art_2.jpg (418KB, 1008x617px) Image search: [Google]
Charr_concept_art_2.jpg
418KB, 1008x617px
>>44044177
There's a non-insignicant amount of furries in the roleplaying community, and a large percentage of them is rather autistic about it which might discourage the inclusion of such content in a campaign or setting. Likewise, there are equally autistic people among those who can't stand said furries who'd sperg out at any of the stuff posted ITT.

Both of those types of people are also more common encountered on the internet than in real life.
>>
>>44038279
That really is probably the easiest way. In any fantasy setting there's often several different humanoid species (outright different species not just ethnicities) strewn across the geographic area, where normally you'd think one would have wiped out most of the rest at some point. Like if orcs are so strong why didn't they wipe out all humans? If the humans have the upper hand, why didn't they wipe out the orcs? It's really only if they're at or near parity, or have some overwhelming reason to tolerate each other, that they should co-exist.

If that can be managed, then surely having a bunch of different humanoid races arise from various orders of the animal kingdom should be reasonable. Humans can and do hunt monkeys for food when desperate, though they don't particularly like doing so, so it's probably similar for those orders looking at a lesser evolved cousin.

Still, I can totally see anthro jackrabbits chasing down normal hares for dinner.
>>
>>44044373
Here's the thing I don't get about the Charr. From the start of GW1, there were Charr shamans that stood completely tall and upright, and it's a common stance in a lot of concept art of them. Yet then we get Pyre who's hunched like fuck, and GW2 Charr PCs follow that model, making their gear hilariously oversized in places to compensate.

Is it really that big a deal to think that Charr (and other anthros with legs like that) can go from upright to all-fours with as much ease as humans? Or is it just to make them more animalistic somehow?
>>
>>44044507
It's a cheap, and biologically impossible, means of showing them as more animalistic. Hunches like that are a massive strain upon the backs of any creature who would walk like that. Its a fairly common tactic among artists and people who try to shie away from accusations of furry, but then run headlong into stupid territory. And they fail at not attracting the furries as there is still plenty of furry art for them anyway.
>>
File: tumblr_l5rzl920nR1qccjyio1_1280.jpg (98KB, 864x574px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l5rzl920nR1qccjyio1_1280.jpg
98KB, 864x574px
>>44044507
I think it's simply a change in the art direction. It doesn't make sense for a biped to move on all fours on level ground at all.

I much prefer them upright, straight spined and looking intelligent+vicious rather than just animalistic.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.