[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What book does the average /tg/-goer read? What books do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 35

File: 1449076115279.jpg (126KB, 759x603px) Image search: [Google]
1449076115279.jpg
126KB, 759x603px
What book does the average /tg/-goer read?

What books do you recommend?
>>
>>43982358
Is that an ork going to skull?
>>
>>43982358

check out The Chronicles of Amber series, by Roger Zelazny
>>
>>43982358

Uh, the big stack next to my bed has Dostoyevsky, Dickens, an Andrew Jackson biography, a book about the Whiskey Rebellion, and one of those nice barnes and nobles collected classics with 4 novels by Hemingway that my GF bought me.

>>43982414

I never got far into these but it wasn't their fault. They seemed like cool books.
>>
File: Genre Fiction Flowchart.jpg (2MB, 3800x2300px) Image search: [Google]
Genre Fiction Flowchart.jpg
2MB, 3800x2300px
>>43982358

I have a feeling we mostly read genre fiction, given how often sci fi and fantasy books get discussed here.

Here's a pretty comprehensive flow chart on books that fall into that category. It's a pretty good list, though I'm surprised Jurassic Park and Sphere aren't on it.
>>
I just read the Wizard of Earthsea. It's written like Lird of the Rings I suppose, about a young wizard becoming a man.
>>
Nowdays I mostly read way to little. Not sure why, I like reading and it's not like I don't have the time. It just isn't happening anymore.
>>
>>43982358
For starters?
I suppose that ASOF&I and Lord of the Rings would be considered classics.
For simple, children's books: Redwall and Earthsea. Can't think of that many off the top of my head.
Then of course, there is the god of /tg/: Sir Terry Pratchett (Hallowed be thy name)
;_;
>>
>>43982444
People who whine about how terrible genre fiction is compared to literary fiction are fucking insufferable.
>>
>>43982358
Everything by pTerry is comedy gold.
How Not to Write a Novel is a hilarious comedy romp that also shows common pitfalls new writers fall into
The Stones Cry Out: a Cambodian Childhood is interesting if you want to read up on the commies so evil that they ended up being overthrown by North Vietnam.
>>
Dresden Files is fun.
>>
>>43982434

Chronicles of Amber are fucking great as far as the Corwin Saga goes.

You can read the Merlin saga too but it's a bit of a step down. Imagine that the Corwin Saga represents the theme of "Order", so the Merlin saga represents the theme of "Chaos". The problem is, Chaos isn't as fun to read about - while Corwin has clear goals, Merlin just sort of dicks around for five book being clueless, and then it ends.
>>
>>43982358

Right now I'm reading The Iliad and Being and Time, when it arrives I'm going to read Grendel.
>>
>>43982544
It's just bad, but since not everyone can be smart, it's fine to keep dumb people busy. I wouldn't recommend it for children though, because those books and generally everything written by Butcher can be described as mind poison. Male Twilight.

Fun books if you're dumb, but if you have an ounce of gray matter in your skull, you won't enjoy them.
>>
>>43982835

Wow, I'm so impressed by your intellectual superiority. Truly you are correct that smart people can never enjoy dumb things without compromising their delicate intelligence.
>>
>>43982886
Whoa there, you're being WAY too funny. If you don't stop being so witty and amusing and hilarious, you might rupture your humor organ.
>>
>>43982733
>Corwin saga

seconded, i loved this series, couldn't put it down.

kind of reminds me of Noir + Fantasy. i mean hell, the main character spends most of the novels trying to solve a mystery, getting the shit kicked out of himself for snooping around and chain-smoking. and he narrates the story. he's one loose tie and disheveled raincoat away from a hard-boiled detective novel
>>
>>43982358
Average elegan/tg/entlemen like scifi, fantasy and history.

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series is classic.

For scifi, I'd recommend Neuromancer in the cyberpunk genre.

For history, A Distant Mirror is the best historical overview of the high medieval period.
>>
>>43982358
Lately I'm on a /lit/ bender, going through (post-)post-modern stuff, DFW and the like. But that's mostly for my thesis, after I get through it I plan to kill what little brainpower I've left with genre schlock.
>>
>>43982835
Weren't you called out for being a giant literary hipster a few threads ago?

You also never explained your reasoning and kept restating your point that the series sucked.

I doubt you have any actual statements to back up your claim but why don't you try to illuminate us anyways.
>>
>>43983029

I approve, anon. Good luck with the thesis but don't burn yourself out irreparably.
>>
>>43982358
There was a series I read a few years ago called the Night Angel Trilogy.

The covers were pure edge, but the story was surprisingly good. Had a well-fleshed out world and a neat Magic system.
>>
I'm just now getting into Tim Powers and really enjoying myself.

Is Charles Stross any good or is he shit?
>>
>>43982358
People have been recommending lots of fiction, so here is some nonfiction I've been reading.
>The Demon Haunted World, by Carl Sagan. A very good primer on skeptical thinking
>The High Frontier, by Gerard O'Neill. A book about colonizing space from a practical perspective.
>Areas of my Expertise, More Information Than You Require, and That is All, all by John Hodgeman. While technically nonfiction, they are encyclopedias filled with lies and falsehoods.
>>
>>43982759

>Being and Time

Underappreciated /tg/ resources for world-building on an abstract level.
>>
>>43982943

I just loved the Corwin saga for how excellently it did a character arc. Corwin starts off as a bit of a an edgelord, but where other series would revel in this and expect you to be in awe of this awesome guy, Corwin himself slowly starts to realize that being edgy is for faggots. Its really neat seeing what starts off as a revenge story turn into more of a series about self discovery and how even ageless god tier princelings can still learn to mature.
>>
>>43982444
>I Am Legend
>zombies

Triggered.
>>
>>43982886

This, so much. Dresden series are dumb, but not in any sort of a bad way. After a weak start they gain a decent level of competency - the writing isn't great, but it never utterly fails to do what it's trying to do. It's a series that sets humble goals, but at least manages to achieve it (compared to, say, Butcher's Codex Alara which sets a fairly humble fantasy goal and can't even achieve that).

Of course, this is all moot to people who have actually read it. To those who haven't - consider it like reading a cheesy WoD campaign recap.
>>
I like the Riftwar series by Raymond Feist. Its basically a generic Fantasy world that keeps getting invaded by creatures and people from stranger and stranger alternate universes.
>>
>>43983152
I came at the Laundry series off the back of Powers. Good to great, depending. It's more humorous though, Powers with an admixture of Pratchett. Powchett.
>>
File: 1395060965311.png (209KB, 299x345px) Image search: [Google]
1395060965311.png
209KB, 299x345px
Feel free to judge
>The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
>The Spooks Apprentice
>Artemis Fowl
I've had a comprehensive list of Discworld books open too ever since Pratchett got in the bag, but I have yet to actually read any of his stuff. I'll get around to it eventually I'm sure
>>
>>43983565
Codex Alera was pretty fucking amazing. It's goal was literally "combine lost Roman Legions with Pokemon" and it succeeded at that quite well.
>>
File: GM_Subtlty.jpg (47KB, 313x499px) Image search: [Google]
GM_Subtlty.jpg
47KB, 313x499px
>>
>>43982358
...Is that Maps embarking on a Waaaghh!?

Well, anyway, my favourite authors are probably Joyce, Bulgakov, Bashevis Singer, and Rushdie. It's not easy to put one before the other, but I'd recommend any of them. I'm currently reading The Saga of King Hrolf Kraki, though probably not for long, as it is super duper short. Then I'll probably get around to finally reading Pratchett's last novel, which I've been putting off because there'll be nothing of its like to look forward to once I'm finished with it, and the feeling you get when you've gone through all of a great author's works is a real bittersweet one.
>>
File: harris.jpg (137KB, 1484x988px) Image search: [Google]
harris.jpg
137KB, 1484x988px
Surprisingly, even though I enjoy fantasy games, I don't read any fantasy outside of gaming books. Fiction-wise, Albert Camus, Aldous Huxley and Jack Kerouac are my favorite authors. A lot of my characters are inspired by characters from their books. The Stranger is my favorite novel. As for non-fiction, recent events has turned me on to a lot of the writings of Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. Currently reading Islam and the Future of Tolerance by Harris and Maajid Nawaz.
>>
The Black Company books by Glen Cook.

They're paced like a drunk pack mule, but they hold up alright. It's kinda like reading a Vietnam War novel that smoked a whole roll of ganja.
>>
>>43983565
>but not in any sort of a bad way.

I got through the first half of the fourth book before I realized it was never going to get better. If there was a single likable character in the series up to that point, I might have been willing to suffer through it, but it's less like reading a cheesy WoD campaign recap and more like reading a high school kid's web novel that he should be too embarrassed to share, since a recap would at least show signs of genuine human interaction.

And, it's reach really does exceed its grasp, because "cool" or "funny" or "suspenseful" are not the words I would use to describe those books, even though it's clear that the author is struggling to build up scenes to evoke those responses.
>>
>>43983759
Latest issue has her faking being upset.Op's pic is the result.

As many have said before, Pratchett.
>>
>>43983726
Oh god, there's no help for you.
>>
>>43983726

Yes. That was its goal. And it utterly failed at the Pokemon part. It got the Roman stuff down in wide sweeps, and the first book basically cock-teased you with awesome pokemon familiar action to come... and then it barely comes up at all later. The idea of guys having unique individualized furies ends up just reserved for a few characters, who only make use of them at certain times, and more and more furies just become "magic nuke spells".
>>
The book of the new sun atm, its fucking fantastic! Couldnt recommend more
>>
>>43983520
Did you even watch the movie?

Sure it may have been more about a cancer vaccine than dark magic, but it's still a zombie.
>>
>>43983768
Man, you sound like me.

I love fantasy stuff, but in terms of literature, the only thing approaching high fantasy I can read are Tolkien, Pratchett and older sagas/epics. Most modern fantasy authors just seem to be total shit writers.
>>
>>43982358
Call me a faggot if you will but I'm currently reading the spice and wolf novel series and I like it.
As for a recommendation I loved the fuck out of Dmitry Glukhovsky, metro 2033. but I remember at some points in the story the writing seemed a bit awkward I'm just assuming that was just because of the translation from Russian to English.

>>43983776
>It's kinda like reading a Vietnam War novel that smoked a whole roll of ganja.
probably one of the best descriptions of the series I have heard. It takes a special kind of writer to make mercenary life in a fantasy setting seem boring as fuck at times.
>>
File: Puffy Volvo2.png (177KB, 580x280px) Image search: [Google]
Puffy Volvo2.png
177KB, 580x280px
>>43983894
>Call me a faggot if you will but I'm currently reading the spice and wolf
4chan as a whole is pretty weeb. /tg/ more than most, since questfags from /a/ flocked here after the mods dumped their trash on this board.
>>
>>43983894
Well atleast Black Company is heaps easier to read than Cook's other works.

The Instrumentalities of the Night books are probably his wordiest novels. Man, the hours I wasted trying to read those...
>>
>>43983831
It's based on the idea that everything has a spirit, or kame if you want the Japanese term, and some are just stronger than others. Those humans who have more powerful spirits bound to them, much like how Pokémon are semi-bound to their trainers, are inherently more powerful. Put more plainly, the spirit of, say, a lawn ornament, isn't going to be as powerful as one that inhabits a 900 year-old tree.
>>
File: 335440787_0.jpg (6KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
335440787_0.jpg
6KB, 350x262px
>>43983836
>movie
>>
>>43983803

I like Dresden Files as dumb popcorn fun, but I appreciate you're critiquing them in a reasonable way, as opposed to "hurr male twilight" so props to you for that.

I don't think I was ready to give it the pass until about book 5. I will admit though that I'm a pretty fast reader, so I think I was able to sort of glide through the lacking parts. Overall I like that the author did try to mix noir and magic with action movie cheesiness - unfortunately, its the "all at once approach" that prevents it from being anything other than dumb fun - it doesn't do serious or comic noir well enough to excel at either, so the end result is a middling attempt at both.

Of course, I'll fully admit that I started reading them awhile ago, so the nostalgia of a younger, dumber me might have something to do with it. I more object to people on /tg/ rampantly bashing the series not because they have anything meaningful to say, but more to build up some illusionary "lit street cred".
>>
>>43983894
>>43983916
To be fair, Spice and Wolf is usually counted among the honorary /tg/ anime.

While I think Spice and Wolf deserves the slot, I don't think that potato demon tits anime does.
>>
>>43983928

Yes? Your point? It's not that I didn't understand the concept, or that I wanted everyone to have powerful furies. I'm pointing out that the concept of individualized Pokemon style furies is never really given much attention after the first book and the system quickly just turns into standard elemental themed magic.
>>
>>43983836
Did you even read the book? Only half of the monsters are even remotely zombie like and they are still more like vamps.
>>
>>43983929
>>43983977
If it makes you feel any better, I am only pretending. I know the movie diverts from the book quite a bit.

But I haven't read the book, so I don't know by how much they differ. How are they different from zombies?
>>
>>43983894
>It takes a special kind of writer to make mercenary life in a fantasy setting seem boring as fuck at times.
To be fair, most of what is read comes from the POV of the Company's medic/scribe. Not exactly a front line fighter.
>>
Right now I am starting to read the orthogonal series book

The idea of the book is
On real life if you at 2000 spend 10 years on earth and someone at 2000 get a spaceship and travel near the speed of light for 10 years, when he si back on earth he will not be at 2010.
The formula used to calclate this has a negative symbol.
The writer, changed the negative symbol of this formula to a positive symbol and made alot of maths/science to see what it would change and then created a entire universe based on that and wrote the book that is on that universe
>>
>>43984001
>If it makes you feel any better, I am only pretending.
>>
Haven't been reading anything for a long while. Last stuff I did read that wasn't nonfiction was... Some of Discworld, I think. I have a copy of Neuromancer I've been indefinitely putting off reading because I don't feel like it. That's about it.
>>
Everyone says Pratchett, but which is your favorite Pratchett?

Mine's Lords & Ladies

Last book I read was Vonagut's Breakfast of Champions. It was a blast. Wide open beavers inside, indeed.
>>
>>43982358
Can't go wrong with Good Omens
>>
>>43983977
Well they're explicitly called vampires and do vampire things.

>>43984001
The book is pretty good. It's one of those scientific-explanation-for-a-supernatural-phenomenon stories done right.

At the end of the day it is just some kind of disease, but a lot of the infected BELIEVE themselves to be vampires because of their symptoms. So they jump from great heights probably believing they can fly or turn into bats, and they have a negative reaction to crosses and other holy symbols (the protagonist experiments with different religions and atheists).
>>
>>43984055
Night Watch is my all time favourite.
>>
>>43984019
The idea is that when traveling near the speed of light, those traveling age slower, right?

So, the rocket goes slower though time than the planet. The rocket's calendar might say 2010 but on Earth is might be 2050 or whatever.

So, instead, the planet is now going backwards in time? Or what? 2010 on the rocket and now 1960 on Earth?
>>
>>43984001
Read the fucking book. It's the first modern horror story.
>>
>>43984060
>It's one of those scientific-explanation-for-a-supernatural-phenomenon stories done right.
>and they have a negative reaction to crosses and other holy symbols
How is that explained with science? Something stupid like they used a metal cross and it was just a metal allergy? Or just mob mentality over their beliefs?

>>43984112
Not really interested. Doesn't seam like my cup of tea.

Was never interested in watching the movie, either.
>>
>>43984093

Man I just got past Night Watch. It's weird how much of a darker tone it takes but I loved it for it.

As for total favourite Discworld... ech, that's hard. I would say Hogfather, but I had the feeling that it cut itself a little too short. I would say Reaperman, but I felt that the side plot was weaker. I would say The Truth, but it uses one of Pratchett's generic filler protagonists instead of the well developed repeating ones.

Probably Guards! Guards! or Nightwatch currently, I'd say.
>>
>>43983933
>Overall I like that the author did try to mix noir and magic with action movie cheesiness

I would describe it as more of only have a superficial understanding of film noir and pulp detective stories, and mangling them so badly that the only way to avoid condemning it is to try and say "it's like a cheesy action movie."

The wit and charm of the classic detectives is replaced by... whatever fuels Harry. It's not smarm, it's not even the arrogance of the character, it's just the author writing without any filters and then pretending it is awful on purpose.

>but more to build up some illusionary "lit street cred".

You thinking people would bash it on an anonymous site for "cred" is stupid. People bash it because it's really just not a good series, but it is a marketable one, and little boymen praise it like little girlwomen praise 50 Shades.
>>
>>43984226

>Not really interested. Doesn't seam like my cup of tea.

Praytell, what ARE you interested in?
>>
>>43984258
Glad to see you moved away from twilight at least. Keep at it, you may come up with something substantial one day.
>>
>>43982358

Shitty YA and Warhammer novels.
>>
File: gromph-baenre.jpg (342KB, 966x941px) Image search: [Google]
gromph-baenre.jpg
342KB, 966x941px
Just finished the War of the Spider Queen series. It's been almost a decade since I've last read some trashy fantasy, and I have to say it was quite refreshing. Even with books 2 to 4 sucking dick balls. Actually I almost dropped the series halfway through 4, but I'm glad I didn't. It was all worth it for that one wizard duel.

And Gromph is prime waifu material.
>>
>>43984307
>I like Twilight for boys

Gross.
>>
>>43984258

>thinking people would bash it on an anonymous site for "cred" is stupid.

You must be new to book discussions on /tg/. Enjoy your stay and the endless DF flame wars.

And, well, cheesy action movies are a thing that people can enjoy, and that's basically what Dresden Files is. It's not really avoiding condemning them, its just the fact of what they are. And I wouldn't really get mad at someone who said they liked cheesy action movies, unless they were trying to assert their superiority to better action movies. Harry Dresden ain't a noir protagonist (and anyone who thinks so is a moron), he's an action movie protagonist with some superficial angst veneered on.

I guess I haven't had much exposure to hardcore fans of the series - I wasn't aware that such existed or could exist, and I admit that sounds pretty hilariously bad.
>>
>>43984055
If I'm being honest, either Men at Arms or Thief of Time.
>>
File: it has not even begun.jpg (4KB, 188x196px) Image search: [Google]
it has not even begun.jpg
4KB, 188x196px
>>43984307
>this faggot
>thinking Dresden is good
>>
>>43984277
I'm just not big on horror or sci-fi. I'd rather have a fantasy adventure. Cliche, I know, but it's what I like.
>>
>>43984055
Small Gods
>>
>>43982358
Check out The Jesus Incident by Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom.
>>
>>43982358
Random picks from the bookshelf behind me...
>The King in Yellow
>Several HP Lovecraft collections
>HL Mencken
>Phillip K Dick
>Gogol
>Some occult/folklore stuff
>The Illuminatus! Trilogy
>Some old detective story/pulp stuff
>Fault Lines and Last Call by Tim Powers
>John Dies at the End

I just finished Neuromancer pretty recently and it got me on a William Gibson kick so I picked up Pattern Recognition and it's good so far.
>>
>>43982835
>this is what stupid people think smart people think like

>>43982544
seconded. Kind of gets repetitive after a couple of books but still well worth reading all of them.
>>
>>43984042
>putting off reading Neuromancer
Fuck, that's a cardinal sin. But if you want something lighter, Battle Angel Alita (the first four books, at any rate) has a pretty good story for a Chinese cartoon.
>>
>>43984369
>You must be new to book discussions on /tg/.

I'm now weirded out.
I'm really starting to wonder why you would think people would dislike the Dresden Files for any reason beyond the obvious, of them just being bad.

They're bad. Beyond dumb bad.
You don't need to say much more than that, just like
>>43982544
this guy doesn't have to say much more than his mindless "it fun i like."

Also, there's quite a difference between a cheesy action movie and a book. You might not get mad at someone who likes watching cheesy action movies, but you have every right to call someone who spends their free time reading action movie scripts an idiot.
>>
>>43982358
there is a lot of drizzt hate on this board but I love the way salvatore can write a fight scene. I enjoy some of the magic the gathering novels but they are fairly hit an miss. start with the old stuff

asoiaf
lotr
redwall
shannara
anything by terry pratchett
the chronicles of thomas covenant
neil gaiman
>>
Man, fuck y'all. I have no previous engagement in this fight but frankly, I like DF. It might not be LITERARY GENIUS but few books of that nature appeal to me much. I like fun stories that don't get overly complicated. DF fits the bill. Butcher's never gonna win any Nobel prizes for literature, but so what?

I like reading them, and I'm not going to stop, so suck it.

Other books that aren't DF that I like are Pratchett's Discworld, Gaiman's short stories and some of his novels, Snow Crash, Artemis Fowl until the last couple, and I've recently gotten into Pern.

And you know what, fuck it, I'm not afraid of you book snob motherfuckers, I liked Ready Player One.
>>
>>43984442
John Dies at The End was terrible, but Illuminatus! was a lot of fun.

For all the nigrous scum saying Dresden files was interesting, they haven't read Hellblazer yet. Literally the same thing done properly.
>>
>>43983152
>Is Charles Stross any good or is he shit?

Yes and no. He has a few interesting concepts but he can't write interesting characters to save his life. I think the Laundry series is his best work. The rest of it is still worth reading, though. Be prepared for out-there science fiction mixed with incredibly trite moral lessons.
>>
>>43983491
Corwin was also such a fun protagonist.
>>
>>43984481
It's not that they're not going to win any Nobel prizes. It's that they barely deserve to be printed.

If you wanted to read something actually good in the same vein, the Chronicles of Amber have already been recommended in this thread. Even the awful in comparison second half of the series makes the Dresden Files look like regurgitated alphabet soup.

Sure, no one can stop you reading them, but damn son, have some shame when you're offering recommendations.
>>
>>43984411

>not a fan of horror or sci fi

Well I guess not all of us can like good things.
>>
>>43984533
Yeah, well Lord of the Rings was shit and nobody's ranting about them.
>>
>>43984481
>Pern
Self. Kill. Now. Please.
It's a fucking furry ripoff of Dune.
>>
>>43984565
Dune is retarded and doesn't even have dragons. Fuck you, you kill yourself. I'm not going anywhere.
>>
>>43984565

I think I remember reading an excerpt of that back in a middle school English class.

That's the series where there's a planet of people who mindmeld with dragons to fight hailstorms of parasitic space fungus, right?
>>
>>43984549
Not everyone has good taste. Don't worry though. There's still time for you to change.
>>
>>43984499
>John Dies at the End was terrible
Say that to my face, fucker
Just kidding, I really liked it but that's your opinion and that's okay
>>
>>43984590
Yeah pretty much. There's some politics stuff too, but the first couple of books at least are pretty much that. Haven't read much more than those myself.
>>
>>43984558

LOTR being shit is an old may-may, try something new
>>
>>43984533

Yes, Dresden files sucks ass compared to Chronicles of Amber, but that doesn't invalidate for what it is.

Also, how is Chronicles of Amber remotely in the same vein? Dresden Files is action with a thin noir-ish coat of paint. Chronicles of Amber is trans-dimensional traveling fantasy with a mythological varnish.

Aside from the fact that Corwin is sometimes on Earth, and there is magic, they have nothing in common.
>>
>>43984565
Sounds like you tried it and weren't Impressed.
>>
>>43984473
>>43984481
>>43984533

Eh, Dresden Files is harmless. It's basically just slightly upgraded YA fantasy. I don't mind kids who want something mildly more titillating than YA fantasy using it as a stepping stone into further fantasy and literature. And I surely don't fault people continuing to read it just to finish the storyline they started when they were younger.

I don't think the issue here is people trying to say DF is good, but more the hilarity of people flipping out over it, and the fact that EVERY /tg/ book discussion thread devolves into DF flamewar shitposting.
>>
>>43984613

A friend of mine told me he was surprised I read stuff from it as part of a middleschool curriculum, saying that it has a lot of torture rape in it.
>>
File: Khamenei-grinning.jpg (17KB, 300x237px) Image search: [Google]
Khamenei-grinning.jpg
17KB, 300x237px
>>43984605
And yours is cool too. I honestly just couldn't get through it because I hate Wong's writing style.

I'm glad you liked it, though.

>>43984723
>pic related
>>
>>43984565
Did McCaffrey personally shove a tent peg up your ass?
>>
Should i read Malazan /tg/ ?
>>
>>43984797
>Did McCaffrey personally shove a dragon dildo up your ass?
Gotta keep with the theme, anon
>>
>>43982358
What was the name of that book about world with magic reaching the gunpowder era, and finding that Mages using gunpowder are overpowered as hell? Heard about it in one of these threads and have been meaning to read it.
>>
>>43984760
This. I read DF a lot when I was younger because it grabbed my attention more than Harry Potter. I think White Knight was the last one I read before we started getting assigned stuff like 1984 and A Clockwork Orange in high school and my interest shifted.
>>
>>43984868
I have no idea, but you have my attention.
>>
>>43984886
>Shit that blew your mind in high school
The Machine Stops
'Repent Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman
>>
>>43984760
>It's basically just slightly upgraded YA fantasy.

I wouldn't call it an upgrade.
It is YA fantasy. Not particularly good YA fantasy at that.
>>
>>43984926
Allamagoosa
''Terran Headquarters to Bustler. Your report V1098, ship's official dog Peaslake. Detail fully circumstances and manner in which animal came apart under gravitational stress. Cross-examine crew and signal all coincidental symptoms experienced by them. Urgent and Important. Welling. Alarm and Rescue Command. Terra.''
>>
>>43984926
John Dies at the End. It was the first time I read something that weird and I found out about it like a year before the actual book came out so it felt like I was in on this cool underground thing.

I think I read it in middle school but I remember The Most Dangerous Game hit me like a fucking train. I've got to reread that sometime and see if it's as good as I remember.

Lord of the Flies was a good one too.
>>
>>43984926
While not exactly mind blowing, it was so refreshing to have a protagonist who actually had flaws in Catcher in the Rye. Everything else was just ''this kid is sad and has a bad life'' in English.
>>
>>43984258
You thinking people would bash it on an anonymous site for "cred" is stupid. People bash it because it's really just not a good series, but it is a marketable one, and little boymen praise it like little girlwomen praise 50 Shades.

As marketable as it might be, 16 books or whatever of DF have not reached the mainstream pervasiveness of Twilight or 50 shades.
DF might not be anything more than beach reads, but don't pretend you pet fantasy series is anything better. It isn't.
>>
Had to read Candide by Voltaire recently for an assigment, it was pretty great I gotta say
>>43985054
Oh man, Lord of the Flies was a wild ride
>>
>>43982358
Lord of Light (Roger Zelazny)
Uplift setting, in particular Startide Rising, (David Brin)
Santiago/Return of Santiago/Whatever you can find (Mike Resnick)
Dresden Files, (Jim Butcher. Aeronaut's Windlass was good too.)
>>
>>43982358
Just read "The Dinosaur Lords" by Victor Milan
>>
>>43982358
Discworld books are pretty good as far as /tg/ stuff goes.

ASOFAI is ok, I'd skip the fourth book though.

The fall of reach is great and makes me wish Halo had a more prevalent story outside the books.

The first 3 mass effect books are amazing the last one is garbage though.

The witcher series is also pretty good.

Inheritance is ok but you're going to be upset by the end of it.

I've read more but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.
>>
File: adfadf.jpg (26KB, 299x181px) Image search: [Google]
adfadf.jpg
26KB, 299x181px
>>43983676
>Artemis Fowl
>>
>>43982358
Read it a while ago, but Larklight was way better than I expected it to be. But then again im a sucker for any Spelljammer like settings.
>>
>>43984055
I'm still reading through them, in order of "series"

So far I really liked mort and the first Night's watch book.
>>
>>43985212
>Inheritance is ok but you're going to be upset by the end of it.
>Inheritance is ok
u wot m8
>>
File: Onyx.png (1MB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Onyx.png
1MB, 1275x1650px
>>43982358
Ctrl+F Ghosts of Onyx

0 hits. /tg/ I am dissapoint
>>
>>43985302
It is equivocally entertaining to the fourth book of asofai
>>
>>43985244
I can't tell if you approve or disapprove. I assume it's the second, but what can I say, I like it
>>
>>43982515

>I have no taste, the post
>>
>>43985350
Nah that shit was awesome, I bought the last book a while ago but have yet to read through it.
>>
>>43985329
I disliked most of the Halo stuff, but Ghosts of Onyx and The Thursday War were pretty damn good.

Alan Dean Foster's Weave setting is pretty awesome for people sick of 40K fiction.
>>
Right now I'm on a Burroughs binge and going through Tarzan at the moment. I've also just started Spice and Wolf, and am partway through Gaiman's Stardust.
>>
>crtl+f Good Omens
>1 result
I hope you all get swamped by telemarketers.
>>
I like the sword art online series, I know it gets a bad rep but it's enjoyable enough. The spinoffs like Progressive and GGO are also nice.
>>
>>43983152
Personally, I can't stand Stross. He seems obsessed less with good story and well developed characters, than showing how clever he is, which I find insufferable. But, other people seem to like him.
>>
>>43985445
My copy of Good Omens is signed by both authors.

So bite me.
>>
I really like sci-fi and cyberpunk. Currently reading Neuromancer, will probably move on to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep next.
>>
>>43984980

Clearly you have not read much recent YA fantasy.
>>
>>43984055
I think the Rincewind novels are the best.

Don't ask me to tell you which one though.
>>
>>43985781
Clearly you haven't read any books for adults.
>>
>>43982358
I just recently finished reading Asimov's robot trilogy. Again.
And Catch 22. Again.

I'd recommend both of them, it's always cool to see how a genre staple like the investigator-with-a-robot-partner got started. Catch 22 is uh... You just want to read it.
>>
Well, I'm reading Anna Karenina now. I recently finished On the Road, Benediction, and A Hundred Years of Solitude. I want to read The Brother's Karamazov next and then pick up The Sound and the Fury where I left off
>>
>>43985816
You're not the boss of me.

Which Rincewind is the best?
>>
File: goslingwhy.gif (498KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
goslingwhy.gif
498KB, 250x150px
>>43985881
Catch 22 is fucking hilarious.

>Be English teacher.
>Teach Honors.
>Reading day.
>"But I don't like to read!"
>mfw
>>
>>43984868

Power Mage trilogy? Dunno if its the one your thinking of, but its got gunpowder wizards.
>>
>>43985943
I honestly think The Color of Magic is one of the better ones.

Although it isn't as good as The Last Continent.

>>43985946
Everything after Nately dying is depressing as fuck, though. Until the last chapter somehow saves it.
>>
>>43985964
Thats it.Even had the title in my head but thought it was called something different.
>>
>>43985985
It's like Don Quixote, in that way, where everything leading up the ending is heartwarming and funny and then it fucking destroys your soul.

Fucking Cervantes, holy shit that bedroom scene. Fuck.
>>
The Safehold series is a fun read that will teach you quite a lot about renaissance and early modern warfare. It also has really badass titles like "Off Armageddon Reef" "By Schism Rent Asunder" and "Hell's Foundations Quiver"
>>
File: coulson.jpg (16KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
coulson.jpg
16KB, 615x461px
>>43986017
>Hold off! ye weaklings; hold your hands!

>Adventure it let none,

>For this emprise, my lord the king,

> Was meant for me alone.
>>
No love for Perdido Street Station?

A party of PCs makes a cameo appearance, even.
>>
>>43986053
>Off Armageddon Reef
>tfw I have that book signed by the author
>never read it
>>
>>43986096
And our protagonist is a total fa/tg/uy/. Right down to the nonhuman romance.
>>
GURPS basic sex
>>
>>43986096

People like China Mieville's stuff here, but we don't talk about it much because he's such a pretentious cockmongler as a person.
>>
Speaking of Pratchett, has anyone read the last Tiffany Aching book? I want to be hopeful, but after Raising Steam and Snuff I'm really hesitant to pick it up.
>>
>>43986017
Speaking of soul-crushing funny shit, you ever read A Confederacy of Dunces?

I just saw it in a bookstore and I have a mighty powerful urge to read that shit again.
>>
>>43982358
the Lies of Locke Lamora, and the whole Gentlemen Bastards series.
it's fun.
>>
>>43984809
yes.
>>
>>43986161

I'm not quite done Discworld but I've heard that his Alzheimers affected later books - can you tell me when it got bad, and how badly it affected Raising Steam and Snuff?
>>
>>43986281
Steam and Snuff are the only two that I didn't enjoy, and I would recommend skipping them- not because they're bad, but because they're heartbreaking. A lesser author could be fine with them, but from pterry the drop in quality just hurts.

The new Tiffany book was published posthumously, so my concern is that it will be even more painful.
>>
>>43984565
lolwut? As a person who has decades of experience with both, they are much more different than alike. Please tell me that it was just a setup for >>43984723.
>>
>>43986101
How much you want for it?
>>
>>43986339

Thanks for the tip.

I hope the last Tiffany Aching book is good. I'm trying to improve my sister's reading so I read her Wee Free Men and she loved it, so I was going to keep going with the series.
>>
>>43983923
Garrett P.I. novels are a fun read if your stuck on a plane or such
>>
>>43986339
even if it was the worst book in the series, wouldn't you read it anyway?
>>
>>43986403
I'm satisfied with the conclusion left by I Shall Wear Midnight, which was already showing warning signs. If the new one is only going to hurt me, then no, I don't want to read it.
>>
What would the most /tg/ novel ever look like?
>>
>>43986679
howard's conan, but with more waifus
>>
>>43986697

So, Fafhrd and Grey Mouser.
>>
>>43985881
eh I didn't really like some of Asimov's stories such as that one where the robot became president or something and no one bothered to figure it out.

Then again its been almost 6 years since I read it.....
>>
File: 1436474277369s.jpg (5KB, 95x124px) Image search: [Google]
1436474277369s.jpg
5KB, 95x124px
>>43986767

Yes. If your GM isn't running your fantasy games like the Swords series, you might as well just give up on life.

>mfw skellington waifu
>>
>>43986827
Oh yeah, off the top of my head that one's just called Evidence I think. Disliked it as a teenager, went back and read it later on and quite enjoyed it. Aasimov really was one of the best.
>>
Web serials mostly these days on my end.

Worm is pretty good for a more realistic thing. The main character doesn't have anywhere near the best power, and her motivation and reactions are very human.
http://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents

Beginner's Guide to Magical Site Licensing is... well, I won't lie, it's kinda slow to start with. Magic's real, but it's mostly been turned to industrial uses, and the more people using the same spell, the harder that spell is to cast for everyone using it. The problems start to arise when the main character figures out a way around this.
You'll have to google, I don't remember the website this one's on.

I've been told that Tales of MU is pretty good, but also very, very silly. Imagine a world where magic is real, and people think science is fake, because obviously magic does all those things. As an example, metal rusting or tarnishing is seen as a natural form of magic. A warning: the author recommends not starting at the beginning, because his writing wasn't really up to snuff, and he's rewriting it.
http://www.talesofmu.com/
>>
>>43986827
Have you only read I, Robot, or have you read Caves of Steel and whatnot?
Because the two read entirely differently.
>>
>>43987168
I Robot is the only one I read, some of it I liked but like anon>>43987146
I read it as a teenager so that may be a factor.
>>
>>43982358
Dont read books that frequently anymore, but I am reading comics a lot more.

Gotham Academy, Grayson and Prophet all can be made into pretty neat campaigns I imagine.
>>
>>43983152
He's an average writer overall, a poor character writer with some smart ideas about technology and way too much opinionated attitude which he self-inserts into his characters. Rather annoying, that last part.

I'd avoid him, there's much better stuff out there, like M John Harrison, for a start.
>>
>>43982358
John Keegan
Anthony Beevor
Max Hastings

War is where heroes and villains thrive.
>>
>>43985147
>Had to read Candide by Voltaire recently for an assigment, it was pretty great I gotta say
Shut up, Prof Pollyanna. It short and brutish.
>>
>Ancillary Justice
Count of monte cristo with hive mind AI that has lost all but one of her bodies and no has to get shit done while working on minor part of previous power and missing her waifu.

>Iron Dragon's Daughter
Changeling: the lost Everything is Depressing and it is your fault: the novel

>Dwarves by markus heitz
Glourious dwarf master race removes filthy refugees in first books, faggot elves in second book and recovers useless not!eastern europe in third.
>>
One of my recent favorites
I typically read military history, but this is just so good
>>
So what is Aubrey-Maturin series of Warhammer ?

There is Sharpes Rifles, Flashman but are there any decent novels about navy/rogue traders ?
>>
Any recommendations for books with good waifus?
>>
>>43988154
Honor Harrington
>>
>>43982358
Dune
HHGTTG
Berserk
ASOIAF
WOT
>>
>>43988685
>Dune
True, but just the first two. The first is just incredible.
>>
>>43982358
The Expanse, really good pseudo-hard space opera/ horror series set in out solar system and eventually extra solar colonies
>>
>>43982385
Underrated post
>>
D U N G E O N M E S H I

U

N

G

E

O

N

M

E

S

H

I
>>
>>43982358
I'm rereading Cryptonomicon. After that I'm rereading the first two collected editions of the Black Company.

Other than that I'm looking for some new sci fi to read. But the stuff that's come out recently is pretty shit.
>>
>>43988854
I don't think I can recommend anything as a lot of the shit I like I assume most of /tg/ hqs already read.

On that note I will recommend Dr.Adder.
>>
>>43982733
>>43982943
>>43983491
>>43984527
I know a nor/mlp/erson who was named after Corwin.
>>
>>43984926
>Shit that blew your mind in high school

Technically middle school, but Jurassic Park was probably my first real introduction to "adult" literature.

I've probably read it like four times, and every time I've found out something new about what Crichton was trying to say.

Come to think of it really only Bradbury has had the same influence on my literary tastes as Crichton has.
>>
>>43984055
>Last book I read was Vonagut's Breakfast of Champions.

Man I tried to like Vonnegut, read both Slaughterhouse Five and Breakfast of Champions and it just never clicked with me. It seemed too forceful and disjointed, and I kept second guessing myself thinking maybe it'll get better or maybe I'm just not reading it right but I couldn't get into it.
>>
>>43989729

I'm an uncultured faggot and I've never read Slaughterhouse Five. I hear it's really good though. Will probably give it a shot after I'm done with Electric Sheep.

The only Vonnegut I've read is Harrison Bergeron. You know, that short story about the dystopian future where the government forces everyone to be physically and mentally equal through invasive artificial handicaps.
>>
>>43984405
No one has clamied that dresden was objecitvely good you goddamn projecting faggot
It is just FUN to read, and it doesn;t even try to hide it;s own dumbness, so if you are not interested in that kind of cheesy thing you can just stop reading and let other people who enjoy it HAVE THEIR FUN.
>>
>>43982358
Sauce on OP's pic?
>>
>>43989921
>It is just FUN to read
>I need to hide behind the shield of subjectivity to defend my shit taste

Dude, you've got shit taste. Just admit it and deal with it, and stop getting upset when people say that the recommendations you're dishing out are as worthless as your attempts to scream FUN FUN FUN as if that meant anything to anyone.

You're free to read whatever "fun" books you want, but that just means you should be prepared to be ridiculed for reading "shit."
>>
>>43985355
Go back to /lit/
>>
File: Gurney Halleck.jpg (107KB, 1365x567px) Image search: [Google]
Gurney Halleck.jpg
107KB, 1365x567px
Should I even read past Dune:Messiah?

Paul Maud'Dib is a monster and the only character that I can sympathize with is Irulan.
>>
>>43990167
>someone likes different kind of books than I do
>therefore, his taste is shit and he should feel bad for not being as cool and hip as I am
You know, criticizing objectively bad things in those books, i.e sloppy writing, incosistencies, retconning, cheesy lines is A ok
Criticizing other people, because they like/dislike certain things, is fucking moronic
>>
>>43990269
Just read them all, then you will understand.
>>
Mostly poetry anthologies for school and translations of classics because I'm a pleb who can't read Greek.
>>
>>43982444

Am I the only person who liked the Malazan series but could not get over how unclear, undefined and generally broken magic and magical abilities are in it?

You have genuinely terrifying beings capable of levelling mountains being taken on by some guy who is just some hardboiled fighter.

and don't get me started on how fucking mary sueish the Malazan sappers are.

I haven't gotten around to finishing the last two books but does it ever explain this? Does force of will = tangible power or something?
>>
>>43982444

how is nothing by H.P. Lovecraft on that list?
>>
>>43990277
You seem late to the discussion. That's fine, except you decided to speak without thinking and just with a knee-jerk reaction, which is even more moronic.

Now, think for a minute.

You're working under two mutually exclusive ideas. On one hand, you agree that you can criticize bad things in books, so much so that you went so far as to use the word "objectively".

On the other hand, you assume that people liking things works purely in an entirely subjective world, and no one should ever feel bad about liking anything.

On one hand, you agree that people should be allowed to criticize books, especially books that have sloppy writing, etc.

On the other hand, you believe that people should feel free to defend books solely by screaming "I LIKE IT YOU CAN'T STOP ME", and that's not behavior worth criticizing.

It's like you don't even understand the paradoxes you create as you change your ideas to suit your agenda.
>>
File: guinness settling.gif (2MB, 801x438px) Image search: [Google]
guinness settling.gif
2MB, 801x438px
>>43990277
That's an excellent distinction sir. Have a beer on me.
>>
>>43986281

didn't read raising steam because I read snuff and it wasn't terrible but was demonstrably not up to his usual standard. I read every one of Pratchett's books starting about the age of ten and reading Snuff hurt because I could see his mind slipping away. I couldn't read raising steam after that.

Pratchett dying was like a piece of my childhood being ripped out of me.
>>
>>43990591
The idea that something can be measured as good by meeting the right qualities separately from an individual opinion is not mutually exclusive to the idea that an individual can have preferences that do not match the qualities that define something as good.

The idea that people have an inherent right to criticize things that do not meet standards is not mutually exclusive to the idea that people have an inherent right to enjoy something based entirely off of an emotional impulse of enjoyment.

Stop your pseudo-intellectual bullshit. While I think that if a person likes something and they can't articulate a defense, they should shut the fuck up and not respond to criticism, I think you're just as stupid as they are but a lot more harmful in trying to convince people that how you feel should always overlap with how you think. It might not be "fine" so to say, but there's no contradiction between an understanding that something is bad for whatever reason and a personal enjoyment of based off arbitrary tastes.
>>
>>43990591
>On the other hand, you believe that people should feel free to defend books solely by screaming "I LIKE IT YOU CAN'T STOP ME", and that's not behavior worth criticizing.

No, but if a series is intensely popular despite it's bad points, it's worth an exploration as to why it is so well loved despite all it's flaws. Sometimes, it turns out that despite the flaws being apparent the rest of the work is good enough on some level to ignore them. This is true of a great many works. Other times it's just about appealing to a specific niche like or quirk of psychology, which still isn't enough reason to say 'you should feel bad for liking this book.'

It's entirely fine to say 'I like it, I enjoyed reading it, despite how dumb it was.' You acknowledge it was a fun read without saying it was particularly skilled or good work. That's different from 'It was bad and I should hate it, but I liked it, now I must wallow in self loathing for not being a highbrow hyperintellect that turns my nose up at such things.'
>>
>>43990269
God Emperor of Dune is where it's at.
It being the most divisive of the series.
>>
>>43982454
Earthsea isn't really like LotR. It's much more sparse with the details of the setting and much faster-paced overall. Not fast-paced in the thriller sense, more like in the epic poem, moving from episode to episode with lots of time in between fast-paced. It's really good, regardless.
>>
>>43990453
I finished the serie and it's probably among the best of what I did read, but Malazans tend to be mary sueish as a whole, sometimes...

Also, yes, one of the theme of the serie is that you can overcome a lot of overwhelming odds by sheer force of will and being badass enough.
>>
>>43990591
You seem to be posting under the wrong assumptions.
First of all, you mix different points of what I said and implied, and try to blend them into one paradoxical argument.
No one should be criticized for having a different taste for food, drinks, sexual partners, movie genres and books. Because it's all subjective, no one can see into other mans head to fully understand why do they like/dislike certain things. But, this comes with a downside. IF no one can truly understand the other person, how could one interact with them. Well, why yes, we should interact, and judge too, based on the objectivity of surronding reality.
So, if someone were to write a story, which would be really exctining to read, had really amazing plot twists, and likeable characters, but unfortunately was written and printed with lots of ortography mistakes, should we judgde it solely on the subjectively amazing story, or the objectively horrible ortography? Or maybe, as many sane people do, both?
As you can see, subjectivity and objectivity don't contradict each other, they compel themselves, to create the full picture.
I, for one, liked the Dresden Files, because the story was just fun to read, and the characters were goofy and likeable enough. On the other hand, I've noticed many issues that riddle the series, and can actually see why other people might not like it. But that doesn't make them worse human beings, or my literature taste inferior.
>>
>>43990731
If you're argument is reduced to a longwinded "There's got to be something good in it, because it's popular," then I can see how banal your line of thinking is going to go as you struggle to defend what the other anon decided to call "an inherent right to enjoy something based entirely off of an emotional impulse of enjoyment."

There's no such thing. There's no inherent right to enjoy something based entirely on an impulse. The very idea is so fucking stupid, I'm having a hard time believing that someone could ignore the full magnitude of pretending that is a right.

To use a hyperbolic example to illustrate just how stupid it is, imagine for a moment that someone enjoyed the feeling of stabbing themselves, based entirely off of an emotional impulse of enjoyment.

To pull things back to the level of what we're talking about, we're not even talking about personal entertainment, but a communication of recommendations and a defense of a work. If you are so thoroughly cornered that the only way you think you can defend a book is to say "I have an inherent right to enjoy this, regardless of its contents", you might as well be saying "I can't defend the book, so I need to protect my ego at least."

Protecting your ego at the cost of attaching yourself to a mediocre work is as bad as stabbing yourself, except that stabbing yourself doesn't make you go out and try to get other people to start stabbing themselves.

People can have shit taste. There are people who literally enjoy the taste of shit. And, instead of embracing the mentality that "Hey, let's invalidate all criticism of any kind by demanding that everyone embrace total subjectivity," isn't it more reasonable to recognize that some things are "guilty pleasures", and that the "guilty" part isn't just a cute little meaningless adjective, but an emotion that makes you feel bad when you know you have done something wrong?
>>
>>43990956
>invalidating FUN
>using shit taste as a serious argument
back to /lit/ with you fucking wanker
>>
File: 1447201486762.jpg (227KB, 736x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1447201486762.jpg
227KB, 736x1081px
>>43990453
>>43990839
Anomander Rake best husbando.
>>
>>43991007
>trying to use FUN as a shield to defend having shit taste

I guess all you really wanted to say is that you believe other people actually have better fun then you do, and you're terrified of what that means about yourself, so you're hoping to trick yourself into believing that there's no such thing as better fun, even when you have the capability to discern the various qualities of different things and have long been exposed to the concepts of inequalities even in subjective contexts.

You're trapped in a self-imposed cage, built with your ego and the vices you're too afraid to look at in any way except through a lens that lets you believe them harmless.

Wouldn't it be healthier to stop pretending that saying "fun" is some magical anti-criticism shield, but only when you're the one to say it?
>>
>>43991106
>shit taste strikes back yet again
okay, now I know that you were just baiting all along
well played anon, was pretty mad for a moment
>>
I enjoyed The Lost Fleet series and I'd love another series about future space ship fights.
>>
File: snowy_cliff_by_torstan.jpg (64KB, 600x465px) Image search: [Google]
snowy_cliff_by_torstan.jpg
64KB, 600x465px
>>43982358
>What book does the average /tg/-goer read?
Books. Yes yes, all well in good.

The average tg goer reads, 40K fiction, Campaign Settings, Adventure paths, and sometimes MtG Lore (Which is no longer in book form)
>>
>>43991121
>I'm so scared of looking at what I like because I'm terrified of what that says about me

How do you live? It's like you've draped everything you enjoy in a cloth you call "fun", all because you're too scared to find out what it is that makes you enjoy the things you do.

"I like it because it's fun" is the equivalent to saying "Please, for the love of god, don't make me look under the cloth. I'm so scared, so fucking scared, man, I have no idea what I might find. There's some brown liquid leaking out from behind the cloth, and I was hugging and kissing the thing all day, and I can't bear to even think about what might be under there."
>>
>>43990956
Your argument is that people do not have a right towards concepts that're in their entirety internalized. There're a lot of "rights" in this world that're imposing and need to be questioned, but something that is in a vacuum absolutely harmless and doesn't even make itself known on its own is a true right afforded by the act of just existing.

Your argument is based off supposition that you've injected on your own. The belief that people are defending guilty pleasures in order to protect their own ego.

It is ridiculous to me that you've come to this conclusion when simpler ones exist, including perhaps that some people might place particular weight towards meaningless but entertaining fight scenes in a Salvatore novel (Fun) or that they enjoy the instant gratification of a poorly written protagonist having wild ninja sex (Also fun) and that they can disregard the lack of measured values in a story without hating themselves.
>>
File: feels goodman.jpg (32KB, 475x360px) Image search: [Google]
feels goodman.jpg
32KB, 475x360px
>>43982444
>tfw when you open that chart and you've read everything except Sword of Truth and Wheel of Time

pic related

I read a crapload, but I tend to not to worry about what genre I'm reading as much as how entertained I am by it.

But I am fucking tired of romance novels being mislabeled as other genres. Romance novels are romance novels, Amazon. Publishers. Stop fucking this up.
>>
>>43991204
you have a scat fetish, don't you?
>>
File: get out.gif (471KB, 474x379px) Image search: [Google]
get out.gif
471KB, 474x379px
>>43983565
Do you feel smarter than everyone else in the room now?

pic related
>>
File: relax.gif (997KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
relax.gif
997KB, 500x700px
>>43984565
>It's a fucking furry ripoff of Dune.
Dune is a ripoff of the Quran.
>>
>>43982358
Blindsight, Peter Watts.
>>
>>43991096

Top wanker more like. The bastard just wanders into a super warrior society where looking someone in the eyes with a higher rank is a challenge and stares at everyone so they'll attack him. Then he cuts them all down one by one with his cursed sword that forces you to pull a cart without rest for all eternity. Then, later, when he meets some more members of this society he acts like they were trivial and refuses the honour they attempt to bestow him for no reason.

Just one example of his endless bullshit.

Fuck Anomander Rake.
>>
>>43991228
>people are defending guilty pleasures in order to protect their own ego.

That's a simpler explanation than your non-explanation.

>people might place particular weight towards meaningless but entertaining fight scenes in a Salvatore novel (Fun)

You just tried to pretend that simply saying "fun" after a random string of text counts as an explanation. Watch this.

Some people might place particular weight towards meaninglessly stabbing themselves (Fun).

WHY do they enjoy Salvatore fight scenes? WHAT makes them entertaining?

These are questions they need to ask, even if they end up not liking the answers. Why? Because the answers to those questions not only help them understand themselves, they also provide context for whether or not the work is worth recommending.

If you enjoy the fight scenes because they use easy language and follow extremely simple if impractical and unrealistic ideas, than you're not going to recommend the book to people who enjoy complex and realistic battles.

If you like a book because it's got bad writing, bad characters, stupid plots, and hard-to-chew-and-impossible-to-swallow dialogue, then you're best off not recommending that book to anyone.
>>
>>43991287

The Quran is just jew scroll fanfic.
>>
See threads like this are why whenever I post here about the one of the games I GM I do my best to avoid mentioning its a Dresden files game.

Ya'll nigga turn into fucking /v/ at the drop of a hat when Dresen is mentioned.

Its an enjoyable book series. Some issues.
Some wonky story telling. But some fairly solid world building and likable/interesting characters.

The game is Set in North Jersey.
Fort Lee/Englewood area. 4 campaigns in the party has only crossed the GW bridge once.
>>
>>43984055
I have only read about half of his works but The last Hero is probably my favourite with Wee Free Men being my second.
>>
File: raughing khan of khans.jpg (57KB, 1022x547px) Image search: [Google]
raughing khan of khans.jpg
57KB, 1022x547px
>>43991403

That was way funnier than it should have been
>>
>>43991425
>some fairly solid world building
I think I hate every decision he made that wasn't just copy-pasting from other sources.

>likable/interesting characters.
I'm amused you tried to use "likable." "Interesting" is enough of a indistinct platitude that you can get away with using it since it's too much effort to try to dismiss it for what it's worth, but the characters certainly aren't "likable". It's like a collection of the most unlikable hodge-podge characters ripped from a fantasy magazine's rejection bin all gathered together, with their only saving grace being that they're inflicted on each other so you might be able to sadistically enjoy their suffering.

>wonky story telling

Wonky is too kind.
>>
>>43982358
I mean, I know what you meant by your question but I imagine the average fatguy reads the core rule book of the gaming system they're interested in.
>>
>>43991425
>See threads like this are why whenever I post here about the one of the games I GM I do my best to avoid mentioning its a Dresden files game.
I think this is because it became mainstream popular and, as usual, geeks and nerds react poorly when "their" things hit the mainstream.

Don't let them drag you down.
>>
>>43984055

anything with rincewind in it.
>>
File: Corgi Warrior.jpg (178KB, 700x1036px) Image search: [Google]
Corgi Warrior.jpg
178KB, 700x1036px
Over the summer I tore The Kingkiller Chronicle and all its associate literature apart in about two weeks, then I devoured John Dies at the End and This Book is Full of Spiders soon after. I picked up Ender's Game, but just got bored with it and eventually stopped reading as soon as school picked back up. I haven't had time to read anything on my own because I can't figure out what I'd be interested in, but I definitely want to grab another book or two for Winter Break after I wrap up Finals. Maybe I'll finally take a crack at Dune or The Wheel of Time, who knows. All I'm looking for is something that completely engrosses me like I was over the summer, I think I spent pretty much every waking moment during those few weeks poured over a book while listening to music. Shit was awesome.

Obviously I've read books for class like Mrs. Dalloway or like how I've encountered Their Eyes Were Watching God for like, the fourth time since Freshman year of High school, but those don't count since I'm not reading them willingly or really even enjoying them. I read the Illiad for class during Spring Semester for the first time though, that was actually amazing. Surprised it took me so long to read it unabridged.
>>
>>43991425
>Fort Lee/Englewood area

Tee hee I grew up there.
>>
>>43991394
It is perfectly reasonable that someone can accept that a particular writing technique or story element is poor and reduces the quality of a work in literary merit while still enjoying them, such as a person realizing that a character who always succeeds isn't realistic, limits writing options, and typically isn't compelling to examine; but still liking them because the enjoy the particular character's exploits as shallow as they are.

Your argument draws an arbitrary line on where a comment becomes an explanation. It is not good enough to say that Salvatore is enjoyable, it is not good enough to say that Salvatore's fight scenes are enjoyable, it may or may not be good enough to say that Salvatore's fight scenes are enjoyable because the lines describe movement, and it may or may not be good enough to say that Salvatore's fight scenes are enjoyable because the lines describe movement in a way that is easily understandable through the use of simple language but concise vocabulary.

No one likes a book because it does something poorly, they like it in spite of that. The line of "fun" is vague, yes, but it has all the same meaning that "complex" might. Both are used as a catch, and neither is implicit about the overall quality of something, but in regards to a general quality that becomes reliant on the context it's used in.
>>
>>43991553
I don't think it counts as "mainstream" yet.

The books sell well, but it's not something you can bring up casually like saying "I like Game of Thrones" or "I like Lord of the Rings."

The show bombed, the comics didn't sell at all, and basically nothing in the franchise really moves. Even in geekdom it's not a particularly hot title.
>>
>>43991600
What are you even arguing at this point?

What you're saying is "It's okay for people to enjoy eating shit if they can ignore its faults", which I can agree with as long as they do it in private, but why would you ever try and protect them and encourage them to wallow in the muck when you can just as easily say "Oh, you like the color brown? Well, bread is also brown, maybe you should eat that instead."

If people like shit, ridiculing them is healthy. Especially if they're going through incredible mental gymnastics to not only defend shit, but to excuse themselves when they discover they actually can't defend it.
>>
>>43982358
Most of the main points have been made (Butcher, Pratchett, Gaiman, Rothfuss, flowchart, etc), but a few more bear mentioning.

David Gammell: Druss the Legend is a good start, but most of the books in that series are various flavors of good, if you like low-magic settings and dont mind a bit of angst.

Naomi Novik, Her Majesty's Dragon: The Temerine series asks, what would the Napoleonic Wars look like if there were intelligent dragons? And then answers it.

Jay Kristoff, Stormsinger series: Its dystopian steampunk japan with a dash of horror. It also has environmental messages and gryphons for some reason. If that sounds like a mess....well its not. Its actually reasonably well written and compelling.

Enjoy.
>>
>>43991856
Ok, I understand. You like to eat shit. We understand. I wont judge.
>>
>>43991564
Take a crack at Dune. Totally worth it.
>>
>>43991578

Its actually been a really exciting place to run a game. I live practically walking distance from Metlife Stadium so I know the area pretty well.

I'ved used locations from the area.
Like Patterson falls and the abandoned South Middle school in Bloomfield.

Some History. For example The Lindburgh baby played a part in one campaign.

I've even done research into the Korean Mythology because of the large Korean immigrant population in the area.

And one of the Ongoing BBEGs is an evil spirit in Lenape Indian folklore.
>>
>no mention of Jack Vance

What is wrong with you guys.

I'm glad Herbert, Zelazny, and Leiber all got their mentions, but how could you miss Vance?

Hell, where's Moorcock?
>>
>>43992165
>where's Moorcock?

In ur ass
>>
>>43992165

People are too busy prosecuting their intense hatred for Dresden Files to bother talking about useful things.

(But actually - Vance is good. I'm hoping for Moorcock for Christmas.)
>>
>>43992453
I think you mean too many people have wasted their time reading Dresden Files when you can't throw a rock ten feet without hitting a better book series.
>>
>>43992569
We get it, you like to gobble down human feces in large quantities. We understand man, you dont have to talk about it all the time.
>>
>>43992631
Aw, look at the wittle baby... he dinks he so cwever...
>>
>>43992682
Dude, calm down, we understand. You have a problem, and cant stop eating human feces. We wont judge you, but its inappropriate to talk about it in a social setting. How about instead, you tell the OP what books you do like?
>>
>>43992769
>Aw, look at the wittle baby... he dinks he so cwever...
>>
>>43992826
Fine then annon, if you cant contribute to the discussion, you can leave then. We will see you next week like normal.
>>
>>43991425
Its a good series IMO and most people who read it like it. Most of those who dont cant really articulate why, they just keep shouting "No its not!" until people ignore them.

But its funny, has some genuine moments of wisdom, and has interesting world building. And the setting is great for gaming, so I would love to hear how the games went at some point.
>>
>>43982515
/lit/ retards who don't understand that most Literature was once genre fiction. Anything of actual quality just takes a long time to become canon.
>>
Just finished reading Dark Forest by Cixin Liu what can fill the emptiness inside after that ?
already have dragon dildoes

Which books by Alastair Reynolds are good to start with ?
>>
>>43993003
>funny
>moments of wisdom
>interesting world building

Fuck, you are literally going to lose your fucking mind once you actually start reading more than Dresden and the back of cereal boxes.
>>
>>43993078
Listen annon, we get it. You dont like it, and cant articulate why. Thats fine, but the fact that you think it means no one else can like it is why you have a taste for human excrement. And no one here wants to talk about how much you love that stuff anymore. So either provide an actual counterargument (denials are not a counterargument), or go home. You are just making yourself look weird at this point.
>>
File: image.jpg (167KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167KB, 620x877px
>>43982358
All tommorows is a quick, hour long read that you can find for free online. No download required. It also has bretty gud artwork.
>>
>>43982358
Empire of the Ants
>>
Aesop's Fables.

No, seriously. Surprisingly good source for character archetypes and you can force-feed the lessons to your hard-headed players.
>>
>>43993149
>I can't defend these books, so I'll pretend I can dismiss all criticism!

You're a cute little shiteater.
Isn't it funny, how only idiots ever try to defend the series?
>>
>>43993242
Now you are just being mean for no reason. We all worry about you, you know. You keep driving people away by thinking that just shouting at them makes you right. But this is not an appropriate place for that sort of behavior. Did you even try to list some other books that you would like to read?
>>
>>43993426
Look, I know you're just trying to get the last word, and you're now also struggling to reverse the situation, but really, if you want to keep playing this game, you shouldn't do it with the entire thread of people trying to shout "BUT IT'S FUN I DON'T NEED A REASON" above your head, along with a bank of posts roasting the series.

It's like telling a man to shoot you after loading his gun.

But, let's just settle it with this.
Whoever makes the last post is the real loser. I'm perfectly willing for that to mean me, if it means stopping this mindless back and forth business.
>>
>>43987158
Tales of MU has fantastic worldbuilding and some excellent characters (Coach Callahan GOAT).
But: It occasionally loses itself in long rants about sexuality and gender issues, especially early on.
Definitely worth reading if you can push through some of the earlier chapters.

>people think science is fake
Science actually doesn't work in the MUniverse because it works on fundamentally different principles than our world. There are some pretty in depth discussions of this in later chapters.
>>
>>43993520
Its not about loosing or winning annon. Its about you showing that you know how to act like a human being around other people.

All you need to do is post one book you think that the OP would like. Thats all.
>>
>>43993063
Dragon...damnit, ok. You might try the Great North Road, or one of the series by Elizabeth Moon
>>
>>43993063
>Alastair Reynolds
Sorry, to answer your question, Chasm City or House of Suns
>>
>>43993788
>Elizabeth Moon
There is a continuation of Deed of Paksenarrion !
Should i be hyped or is there only disappointment there ?
>>
>>43993946
I have not read it yet, I am in the same boat as you.
>>
Generally a novel a week. Finished the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois Bujold and started the 'Black Company' by Glen Cook. After these I plan on reading some Harry Turtledove, had his novel 'After the Downfall' on my desk for months.

For recommendations, Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain series for sarcastic scifi military, Tamora Pierce's The Lioness Quartet for an adventurous female knight, Jennifer Roberson's Tiger and Del series for a witty not!Arab swordsman and his uptight not!Norse partner (female), Terry Pratchett's Discworld series for memorable characters and comedy, Robin Hobb's Soldier Son Trilogy for post-colonial fantasy and ethnic issues or George McDonald's 'Phantastes: A Faerie Romance" for good old-fashioned Fantasy. It's all entry level stuff but I enjoyed them immensely.
>>
>>43994091
Ciaphas Cain is 40k lore at its finest. I sometimes wonder why we dont get more in that vein.
>>
>>43982733
I never finished the first book in Chronicles of Amber. You have some random-ass dude riding around in a car and then suddenly he's in the SHADOWLANDS and he's actually a PRINCE in some other dimension and I found myself not drawn in at all.
>>
>>43985592
I liked it too, but I found that it turned what was formally supposed to be a strong confident character into a LITERAL bird in a cage, wings included, where the MC's job was specifically to go save her. It was dumb.

But then the whole Alicization thing happened and I stopped giving a shit and stopped reading because there was no purpose to anything anymore.
>>
>>43982358
>What book does the average /tg/-goer read?

History books. Just, lots of history books.

>What books do you recommend?

What history are you interested in?
>>
>>43994552

If Corwin doesn't bring a smile to your face, you are dead inside.

But I would advise finishing the first book - at the end of that, everything is set up quite nice and neat for the rest. It's not a book that spoon feeds the reader and you have to hang on as Amber and its princes and princesses are pieced together.

Come to think of it, that mystery was what made the first book so fun.
>>
>>43994644
>formally
And by that, I meant formerly.
>>
File: 400px-Hitler_fedora.jpg (39KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Hitler_fedora.jpg
39KB, 400x600px
>>43982835
Well said. Clearly you are an intelligent and enlightened individual. Thank you for gracing us with your presence, m'sir.
>>
>>43983803
I guess we can add "likable character" to the list of things that are subjective.
>>
>>43994745
Hes already left annon. One he started being treated the way he acted, he buggered off.
>>
>>43994702
Didn't amber turn out to be a shadow itself?
>>
ah, one more for the evening. Lois McMaster Bujold. Campy but good.
>>
Seconding Gaiman, Pratchett all the usual stuff. Big fan of some of the shitty HH books and want more Alpha legion.

A couple I'm surprised don't get more love are The First Law series, by Abercrombie, and The Broken Empire by Lawrence. Both are entertaining if nothing else.
>>
>>43994745
>>43994794
Knock it off, you fags.
>>
>>43984255
Thud!

Mostly because of the Where's My Cow scene.
>>
>>43996053
WHERE IS MY COW
>>
>>43982358
I read voraciously. Good shit. Bad shit. Whatever, I knocked out the "Hell and Back" trilogy today. First book is pretty good, following two are pretty meh but there's some moderately good plotting.

But my mainline crack is Tom Holt, Terry Pratchett of course, Edgar Allen Poe's short stories, Neil Gaiman and Neil Asher, Larry Niven, Gore Vidal, Conn Iggulden, etc.

I would recommend for /tg/ to read Raptor Red to get an idea of how animals seem to think to humans. Also Dinosaurs.

War of the Gods by Poul Anderson, because actually good Vikings.

The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick for one of the better representations of the Fey.

The Left Hand of God by William E Barrett for one of the better novels about finding faith that even the most fedora will still be able to identify with. Mostly because it focuses on the man as opposed to having faith save the day.

Shira Calpurnia series. Because I know you like 40k don't lie, and it has a rare portrayal of the average people of the Imperium. No great threats, per se, no aliens involved. Just an arbiter and her Duty.

So many more recommendations. Raptor by Gary Jennings is a fascinating novel about a hermaphrodite moving through middle Rome. Grunts by Mary Gentle is mediocre but at least it was pretty different when it came out.

Just read a fucking bunch and don't limit yourself to a genre or whatever. Try to see if even cap has a redeeming quality. Most importantly, have fun.
>>
>>43984055
I gotta go with Reaper Man.
>>
File: die seelen des acheron.jpg (2MB, 3564x2097px) Image search: [Google]
die seelen des acheron.jpg
2MB, 3564x2097px
>>43982358
If non-fiction counts, academic books on mythology and history can be fun to read. I was surprised how shallow my understanding of even Greek and Norse mythology was when I picked up some proper books on the topics. I've also read a book on Roman military logistics recently which was weirdly entertaining.

No recommendations since it kinda depends on what you're interested in and what's available to you.
>>
>>43990453
Malazans aren't all Mary Sue. Really it was just the Brisgeburners and the whole point is that people built up mythologies around them and that's one the ways they ascend.

That's why there's a bunch of old heroes all over the place left over from previous civilizations who had been either forgotten and sidelined. Hell, a large part of the series are these Mary Sues trying to find a way to fit into a world that their ideals and goals have been made irrelevant in.

It's also pretty much the two dudes writing out 30+ years of their home brew tabletop game which is a big reason of why it is the way it is. DM fiat, lucky rolls both good and bad, and several "edition changes" as it were makes the structure a lot more understandable. Especially how sometimes super powered people just get fucked because they plated high mortality and RNGesus is mathematically fair not nice or good.
>>
>>43996097
Yep. The formless rage of a man pushed too far who has to get back home to read yo his son is a terrifying thing. Children fuck up people's heads.
>>
I really loved the Abhorsen books, by Garth Nix.

Because necromancy. Interesting necromancy at that.

I spent way too long plotting out an abhorsen RPG, but that would involve changing the fluff a bit to make the various Families much larger.
>>
>>43996650
Those books were the only books with a female protagonist that I ever liked. Not that I just thought were good, but that I actually LIKED reading.
>>43991242
Wheel of Time is still one of my favorite book series. It may not be "top tier" writing, but I'm a sucker for worldbuilding. If Dresden Files can get a pass in this thread, Wheel of Time definitely can.
>>43983073
The Night Angel series was about as edgy as you can get and still be stomach-able literature. I feel like it would have been better if he had just called it quits after the first book, by halfway through the second book he had already started contradicting earlier points. You could tell the plot was starting to get out of his hands by the end of the last book. Suddenly, Durzo can make up superpowers on the spot and every character gets his/her individual plot wrapped up in the space of 5 minutes.

The Warded/Painted Man is a series I picked up recently that was bretty good. It has started to get a little off-track with the last book, but I can always hope.
>>
The Craft Sequence series is pretty cool if you are into magical skeleton lawyers
>>
File: dark is the sun.jpg (56KB, 311x513px) Image search: [Google]
dark is the sun.jpg
56KB, 311x513px
Off the top of my head:
>Dune (1st book)
>Dark is the Sun
>A Wizard of Earthsea (1st book, others are decent but not stellar)
>Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
>The Book of Wonder
>The (original) Elric Saga
>Conan
>Ender's Game
>The Uplift Books
>Vinge's Zones of Thought books (A Fire Upon the Deep, etc.)
>The Iron Tower Trilogy (a LotR retelling that, despite being targeted a bit younger, is a much better read than the original)
>the better Vlad Taltos books (Taltos, Jhereg, Yendi, Dragon... avoid Teckla at all costs)
>H.P. Lovecraft, some recommend stories follow:

DREAMLIKE, OTHERWORLDLY & SHORT STORIES -- read in any order, but put the longer Dream-Quest towards the end
The Outsider
The Doom That Came to Sarnath
The Colour Out of Space
The Nameless City
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
The White Ship

CORE MYTHOS (all longer stuff) -- probably better if read in roughly the order listed
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Call of Cthulhu
At the Mountains of Madness
The Shadow Out of Time

The complete works of H. P. Lovecraft:
pdf -- http://cthulhuchick.com/?dl_id=6
epub -- http://cthulhuchick.com/?dl_id=2
mobi -- http://cthulhuchick.com/?dl_id=3
>>
>>43994644
I was annoyed at the damsel in distress angle as well, but her arc for Mothers Rosario really gave her depth. Admittedly I find the MC in the GGO spinoff LLENN to be more relateable than Kirito.
>>
If you are look for sheer size and breadth of content, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms can fill any number of shelves with books ranging for Great to good to sub-par. Actually, same goes with a lot of /tg/ literature, like the Black Library or MtG lore. Changing up authors keeps those settings fresh, but sometimes they fumble it. That, or the producer forcibly wreaks the setting, ala the Spellplague. Still, I enjoy some romp through a fantasy setting, and seeing how all the books occasionally intersect is neat. Plus. 190+ books in a series will keep you entertained for a while.
>>
>>43984324
I should re-read that - it was only forgotten realms series that I really liked
>>
>>43984442
Go for bridge trilogy after sprawl.
Idoru is my favourite book.
>>
File: 915ZqRQRwVL.jpg (648KB, 1665x2560px) Image search: [Google]
915ZqRQRwVL.jpg
648KB, 1665x2560px
>>43982358
I like "classic tale told from the perspective of X" books.
>>
>>43986679
Rance.
With even more monstergirls
>>
>>43993520
Can someone bring out the /lit/test... I mean autism test?
>>
File: 92896.jpg (50KB, 295x475px) Image search: [Google]
92896.jpg
50KB, 295x475px
>>43996929
Speaking of Dragonlance, the only books I bothered to get for myself and didn't just bum off my more hardcore friends were the Kang's Regiment books.

In retrospect, The Doom Brigade was probably the origin of a lot of my preferences in genre fiction. Grunt point of view, bad guy grunts at that, military settings, schmucks just trying to make their way in the world, etc.
>>
I really liked revelation space, something about a space opera setting with no FTL seems particularly neat.
>>
>>43997152
You know, not to be the /lit/ guy here, but I still find it kinda sad that when we talk about books on /tg/ 90% of the threads are fantasy schlock with very little literary value.
There's nothing wrong with genre fiction. In fact, the way genre stuff is gettin mixed in "mainstream" (pardon the term) literature is one of the great traits of contemporary literature. But a diet of only genre fiction is not good, the same way you wouldn't eat pizza every day for 3 meals a day.
>>
>>43997307
Well I personally enjoy reading shitty fiction. I know it is shitty Damn well... But I still like it, or find points of it I like.

On the other hand I read books like On War, Art of War and Thus Said Zaratustra.

Still main bulk of my reading consists of genre fiction, and engineering stuff.

On the other hand reading only genre fiction is better than not reading at all. Heck - even reading medicore vns is superior to not reading at all.. Or even comics/Manga.

Even shitty work of fiction might blow your mind with some minor but awesome detail.
On a side note I have a bone for worldbuilding.
>>
>>43997422
Boner* fucking autocorrect
>>
>>43997307
I'm not a /lit/guy, but a friend of mine between a lot of pretentious English major nothings said something that made me think, that while he thought fantasy genre was a waste of time, it could probably be taken more seriously used as a vehicle for literary elements.

I'm not sure how someone competent would go about it but it was a neat thought of using a fantasy backdrop to communicate things. I've got a poor understanding of what makes something literature though.
>>
>>43982358
Some personal favorites of mine
World war z (book is actually good)
Leviathan trilogy
Redemption of Althalus
Dune
World war series by turtledove
Jurassic park

Somethings I liked as a kid but I have not reread so not sure how they hold up
The watchers (by Peter Lerangis)
The girl who owned a city
>>
File: mr-t-knows-zombies.jpg (177KB, 720x573px) Image search: [Google]
mr-t-knows-zombies.jpg
177KB, 720x573px
>>43997616
>World war z
I'm sure the book is good. I just like this comic. Science Zombies will always just move the goal posts and still be impossible, though. Only now they've encouraged you to actually think about them reasonably instead of just accepting them, shooting themselves in the foot
>>
>>43997543
Problem with inserting such things into genre fiction is that you can't make it too obvious - or it will feel forced.
Polish fantasy is full of such inserts - but only few authors do it well - like Sapkowski with hus trilogy.
Others - like Piekara - insert edgy themes and politics to their books for free publicity.

Pratchett was master of this though.
>>
>>43997543
Well, for one, the thesis I'm writing right now (see upthread) is about the way contemporary writers are disregarding genre barriers and using fantastic elements in otherwise "realistic" narratives for a variety of effects. A lot of literary prize winners after the 2000 have done things like this.
So for me the thing is not that fantasy is a waste of time. I grew up on fantasy and from time to time I still like to read one. It's not even that it's badly written or whatever. The problem is how we as readers approach the "genre boudaries", and how we confine ourselves to a single mode of writing to the exclusion of everything else.
>>
>>43997640
Oh yeah I know zombies are impossible but I find wwz did it right like romeo did where zombies are a setting and really more of a background element the real antagonists are humans and human nature which is something most zombie works just don't get
>>
>>43997683
So readers see 'fantasy' written on the book, and they lock their critical thinking and expectations to 'fantasy'?

And due to that they miss a lot of other interpretations and meanings?

As an engineer(soon master engineer) I agree.

What I've always thought about literature was that everything is open to interpretation as long as you can back up your line of thought with logic.

Literature exams over here were checked with 'keys' to test - you had to get few exact, mainstream, interpretations of work right.. And if someone noticed something else he could get small amount of extra points. I've usually got few points from key but max from extras... Which led me to nearly fail literature class in hs.
>>
>>43997752
Man, in my high school teachers loved it when you provided an alternate interpretation of a story. It didn't really have to be a great one, it was worth points as long as you could articulate your thoughts and show some comprehension even if it fell apart on examination.

I live in liberal Canada though.
>>
>>43997765
I live in the US and had teachers that liked and even encouraged that but curriculum they had required unfortunately did not, which was one of the reasons I got bored of school and did my own studying and fucked off school, which in retrospect was an awful idea
>>
>>43997752
Well to be honest a lot of fantasy (but the same holds true for a lot of other "commercial" literature) is pretty formulaic and at best you get some sort of weird authorial soapbox, like in the Sword of Truth. Honestly, when a series gets to the point of having more than 3 books, it's clear that there are things in play that have more to do with marketing than writing, no matter how good a writer we're talking about.
But again, this is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as the reader is conscious of what he's getting into. The problem is with people who never pick up anything that does not conform to their taste, and thus have only one single tool to approach a text.
The other side of the coin is authors who write genre stuff nd then try to distance themselves because "genre stuff is crap", thus sounding like pretentious assholes, and genre writers who try to justify the worth of their works in search for recognition.
>>
>>43997765
Teachers loved it. Exams were checked by goverment educational overseeing institution.
They hated it.
>>
>>43991321
My nigga. Blindsight was by leaps and bounds the best modern sci-fi book I've read in a long while.
>>
>>43998023
I found large chunks of it insufferable. Mostly the second person sections.
>>
File: Fucking lit.jpg (767KB, 2480x2867px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking lit.jpg
767KB, 2480x2867px
>>43982515
Ah, you mean /lit/
>>
>>43990546
You're right.
"not much horror available" my ass.
>>
>>43998454
Yeah that list is shit
>>
>>43998477
It's always going to be very arbitrary. You just can't fit everything on one of those things, though I will admit that Lovecraft seems like a rather obvious omission. Also, since it already has 20,000 Leagues, I would've left off Journey to the Center of the Earth, which I recently discovered is actually not a very interesting book. It's almost all about rock climbing.
>>
>>43998554
Well it also lists I am legend as a zombie book
Also lists Howard but not Lovecraft or Smith
Dune listed as a war book about colonialism vrs spirituality
Alternate history listed as fantasy instead of Sci fi
It is just a shitty list
>>
>>43982358
Comic books and tie-in setting fiction.

I play with toy soldiers, good taste and appreciation for literature was never an option.
>>
>>43998429
It's not any different than /tg/ (and I guess every other board) - we too hate everything about our hobby.
>>
>>43997307

I'm not at all ashamed of my love of Genre fiction.

Genre fiction stands the test of time.
People remember it. Talk about it.

And once its about 125 years old pretend it was high art from the start.

I'm not opposed to books of a more intellectually stimulating nature
But I prefer them to be nonfiction
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.